New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: DataNinja's Scintillating Digital Random Banter #231

Your exact words:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Those aren't really statements that anyone can say honestly.
    That seems pretty absolute.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #722
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Your exact words:
    That seems pretty absolute.
    HAve you eaten literally every kind of meatloaf?

Have you eaten literally every means of of cooking literally every green vegetable?

"I don't like green vegetables" or "I don't like meatloaf" are broad statements that are impossible to verify

What I was saying that, as a general trend, people who say that in truth don' not like those things but don't like specific meatloaf or ways of preparing green vegetables but are applying their specific feelings overly broadly to generalities.

Or, in short, I am making a statement about a general trend among people who make impossible to verify absolute statements, not making an absolute statement that everyone who says that is in that situation.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ettin in the Playground

Changing topics: did you know that the planet between Saturn and Neptune is supposed to be pronounced something like "OOH! raw noose"
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

4. - Top - End - #724

HAve you eaten literally every kind of meatloaf?

Have you eaten literally every means of of cooking literally every green vegetable?

"I don't like green vegetables" or "I don't like meatloaf" are broad statements that are impossible to verify

What I was saying that, as a general trend, people who say that in truth don' not like those things but don't like specific meatloaf or ways of preparing green vegetables but are applying their specific feelings overly broadly to generalities.

Or, in short, I am making a statement about a general trend among people who make impossible to verify absolute statements, not making an absolute statement that everyone who says that is in that situation.
    Meatloaf, in any variety, is made of ground beef. I know at least one person who cannot stand the texture of ground beef in any variety, be it meatballs, burgers, meatloaf, you name it. He does not need to have every variety of meatloaf to know that he does not like any meatloaf, and never will like any meatloaf. He does not like the texture of ground beef (or any variety of ground meat, animal source regardless).

Your assertion is wrong. You cannot conceive that someone simply may not like something for reasons you have not considered, so you are dismissing any possibility you haven't thought of out of hand and declaring that everyone who disagrees with how you think must be wrong.

It's always good to consider that you may not have thought of every possibility and that you may be wrong. This is actually exactly what you're railing against others for doing, but you're falling into that same trap yourself. One single person is all that's needed to prove you wrong, and it just so happens that I know IRL just such a person.

Abd more to the point, what would it even matter anyway? Let's assume you were absolutely correct and there is some rare form of meatloaf that my friend would actually like. Whew would it matter that he hadn't tried it and still declared his distaste of meatloaf? It doesn't harm anyone, it doesn't affect anyone in any way except for him and his wife, who I can personally attest does not mind his dietary issues. The only difference is that you would be right. That's it. Don't worry about always being right. That's not important. Skartibartfast spoke wisdom; I'd rather be happy than right any day.
    Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Changing topics: did you know that the planet between Saturn and Neptune is supposed to be pronounced something like "OOH! raw noose"
    Don't worry, in 599 years scientists will finally get tired of that stupid joke and rename that planet to "Urectum".
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-02-24 at 08:34 PM.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't worry, in 599 years scientists will finally get tired of that stupid joke and rename that planet to "Urectum".
    What stupid joke?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

6. - Top - End - #726

What stupid joke?
    The one that people try to avoid by claiming things like "it's pronounced 'ooh raw noose'"

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ettin in the Playground

The one that people try to avoid by claiming things like "it's pronounced 'ooh raw noose'"
    It is.

You are the one pronouncing it wrong, not me.

EDIT: Apparently we were both pronouncing it wrong. I was still closer.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2021-02-24 at 08:44 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

It's just some pre-titanic enunciation.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

9. - Top - End - #729
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

It is.

Oxford says no.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

10. - Top - End - #730

It is.

If we were speaking Ancient Greek (or potentially modern Greek), you would be correct. However, we aren't. We're speaking English. In English, the most common pronunciation is "your anus", while the scientific community indeed got tired of that joke and instead pronounced it "your uh nuss." You are, of course, free to try to make the Greek pronunciation common, but I don't think that campaign will be terribly successful.

And again, just under 600 years for the full renaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    It's just some pre-titanic enunciation.
    Imean, most of the worlds languages predate the Titanic, but I still admire that one.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-02-24 at 09:03 PM.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't understand why or how "urine us" is intended to be the less funny of the two options Rawhide linked, but I'll accept that someone did, indeed, intend that.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

12. - Top - End - #732

I don't understand why or how "urine us" is intended to be the less funny of the two options Rawhide linked, but I'll accept that someone did, indeed, intend that.
    Mine is not to reason why.

13. - Top - End - #733

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    I'd have to say I totally disagree with this.

As someone who dislikes a lot of certain foods there are times when I dislike something about an ingredient that is then balanced out, chemically interacted away, or blocked by specific things in a recipe that make it tolerable in that case. That's not a matter of only liking that ingredient (in this case chicken) when it is "good".

Similarly for music. You can find specific songs that work around a common part of the genre...either being REALLY good at part of music you like in general so that outweighs the bad or something similar...Like I don't like rap, or most pop, or much music at all. Especially if it has people using words. Doesn't mean I can't see the skill that goes into it...it just either falls flat or is actively annoying (older country (this more recent Nashville-pop is less annoying on average) metal, rap, "Classical" classical music (I really don't like Mozart or Hayden), chamber music, and most non-precussive non-octave based stuff all tend to have dark effects on my mood...but I can see that Busta-Rhymes or Mozart were "good" even as I am getting annoyed at the sonic assault my ears and brain are under...I'd prefer Peacocks tbh... But occasionally I can flip it around and focus ONLY on the lyrics and like it (Weird Al has the highest hit rate on this)...at which point the music part doesn't mater at all and would I generally wish it would just go away...and just because that exception exists doesnn't for a moment mean that "good" music will help.

But as someone who generally decides if I like something by going for the quote-unquote "best" examples of the genre, cuisine, ingredient etc I can say that while there is some truth to your statement it is by no means universal, exceptions exists. And often have zip to do with "quality".
    For what it is worth we're both right.

14. - Top - End - #734

Whenever I try to present my ideas using only the literal meaning of the words I use, the idea I expressed is overlooked in favor of subtext that I didn't intend, often that I can't see how they got from the words used.

When I try to convey an idea using turns of phrase, analogies, cross-reference to related phenomena, or carefully cultivated word choice to control the implications and subtext of my statement, my statement is read 100% literally and often misinterpreted... Or they get it but they hyperfocus on one thing in order to justify ignoring my point.

Often by the same people.

It is most irritating.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #735

Have you considered that it might not be the words, but rather the ideas, that are being objected to?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-02-24 at 10:11 PM.

16. - Top - End - #736

Have you considered that it might not be the words, but rather the ideas, that are being objected to?
    ...For clarity's sake, that's not directed at you.

And I don't understand how "the comics have repeatedly said that this character is a flesh and blood human being, not a robot, it doesn't matter what his superpowers are or that he wasn't born naturally, and regardless here are half a dozen examples that support the idea that he's human, therefore it doesn't make sense that he would be treated like an artificial intelligence by this group you can stop worrying" is a controversial statement, to use a recent example.

"Or, the guy who abuses his authority to extort a group of people, many of whom are minors whose legal guardians were not consulted, into agreeing to an extra-legal probation that he changes the terms of to something excessively strict the second they agree to it explicitly becuase he's angry that they ignored an order that he had no right or authority to give them when they were objectively correct to do so as if they had abided his order the world would have ended is kind of a jackass... Especially since he tried to gaslight one of them into thinking she'd killed thousands of people that she had in fact saved the lives of as some kind of super messed up test not ten minutes beforehand and made all of these mistakes and more several years ago and apparently learned nothing." to use one from while back.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Huh, so there are 2 ways to pronounce it. I did not know that. I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone say it the first way, but Oxford knows best.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Huh, so there are 2 ways to pronounce it. I did not know that. I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone say it the first way, but Oxford knows best.
    The scientific community tends to favour the first one. Probably to avoid jokes about the gasses leaking from Uranus.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

The scientific community tends to favour the first one. Probably to avoid jokes about the gasses leaking from Uranus.
    I don't blame them one bit for wanting to avoid those jokes.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Bugbear in the Playground

I never noticed that. I used to be a part of the scientific community, as an astronomy student no less! We never really talked about the planets of our solar system though, except for that time when Pluto got demoted to dwarf planet.

21. - Top - End - #741

Losing internet for 12 hours is not good for your anxiety.

On the other hand, I found the motivation to start my reread of initial sparks.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #742

Odd. I find lack of internet helps reduce my anxiety levels substantially.

23. - Top - End - #743

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Odd. I find lack of internet helps reduce my anxiety levels substantially.
    Pretty much all of my hobbies and social obligations at this time involve internet access to some degree or another.

Not being able to do any of that for several hours thus...

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #744

Gives you plenty of time to read a good book (which is what you did, after all).

25. - Top - End - #745

Only the one chapter to far. Picked up some details I missed the first time, but now that I'm started...

Look, let's just say that being cut off from my primary contact with the outside world is not good for my anxiety for a number of reasons.

Was only able to get to sleep last night by meditating on the image of myself as a healthy and youthful individual reclining in a hammock on the beach in spring when it's sunny but still cool enough to be comfortable.

Oddly enough, I dreamed that I was a Skyrim dragon trapped in the Commonwealth from Fallout 4.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

Losing internet for 12 hours is not good for your anxiety.

On the other hand, I found the motivation to start my reread of initial sparks.
    Your first time?

Welcome to my world for at least one day a year. maybe twice, there have been times when the power was out for me for three days.

except its not really anxiety for me, and more like boredom. and sometimes the power would come on for a brief moment or few minutes just to go out again after giving me false hope so I learned to wait ten minutes before doing anything with getting power back.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

27. - Top - End - #747

Screw reading. Use non-internet time to write more. Your creativity seems to be overflowing like a just tapped artesian well.

28. - Top - End - #748

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Screw reading. Use non-internet time to write more. Your creativity seems to be overflowing like a just tapped artesian well.
    I'm a food idea person, but actually putting those ideas on paper is harder.

When I write a story, it never turns out as well on the page as it did in my head.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

When I write a story, it never turns out as well on the page as it did in my head.
    I know this feeling.

Rater, if you have Discord and ever need someone to talk to, PM me?

What I can do is limited while I'm at work obviously, but the offer is there all the same.

30. - Top - End - #750

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I know this feeling.

Rater, if you have Discord and ever need someone to talk to, PM me?

What I can do is limited while I'm at work obviously, but the offer is there all the same.
    I've got people, but I appreciate the offer.

I've been told that I have good prose and that I'm good at writing intelligent children and at depicting "human evil."

It felt weird when I got praised for how realistic my OC's racist piece of trash aunt was when I was aiming for "cartoonish and over the top."
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-02-25 at 01:15 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks