New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Tactical Question - Haley

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    Nothing wrong with polyamory though.
    Almost went there, but didn't want to step on the landmine of the stereotype that bi people need to be in open/swinging/poly/whatever relationships or they're not really bi because they picked one person who (probably) has one gender.

Besides, I think Haley's more suited to monogamy. Given her history of trust issues, I think the added reassurance would help her emotional well-being a lot. And Elan, of course, would love a nice, cliched, traditional happily ever after.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Smeagle View Post
    I look at it more from the perspective of "Elan is a good person and Haley is happy with monogamy, but is still a little flustered by Tsukiko's short skirts and fishnet." And in all seriousness she has every right to feel uncomfortable about being attracted to the enemy - it could be a hazard in combat. But if Elan happened to be Elaine, she might also be perfectly OK with that.
    True. I dunno. Tsukiko's combination of unsavoriness and brattiness makes my skin crawl a little at the idea of anyone being attracted to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    There is a point where that would start taking self-censorship to the extreme. Sexism is such a big thing it is hardly where I would say it crosses that line but there are other parts of the comic where we find these things. The Empress of Blood is clearly a "fat=stupid=lazy=acceptable to laugh at" characterization, something I am very much aware of given that I used to be obese and have a number of friends of various weight levels who are actively promoting a positive image of fat, or who have a negative perception of their own bodies, or are struggling on the fence. I'm not sure what I think about the acceptability fat jokes, but I decided to take away a link that included an my earlier attempt using the Empress that has in fact bothered me. This would certainly seem to cross the line if you are actively attempting to avoid all forms of discrimination
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The Empress is fat because she is dumb, not dumb because she is fat. Her fatness is the direct result of being fooled by Tarquin. You'll note that in the flashback panel where Tarquin is fighting Nale (just two years ago), she's still skinny. Her defining characteristic is thus her stupidity, not her weight, and in no way does her weight actually impede her functioning. And she's not lazy at all—she's actively pursuing a regimen of self-improvement, day in and day out. She's just totally wrong on how that works.

So while I get what you're saying, I feel like the fact that her size is willfully self-inflicted muddies the water.
    Aaaaaaand suddenly we've gotten all the way to gainers. :buries face in hands:

2. - Top - End - #152
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Werekat View Post
    Ooh, Giant, since you're here anyway, I'd been wanting to ask: you have seem to become more direct in taking a stance on morality and making other points in-comic - to be honest, it sometimes feels like you're talking through the characters directly to the audience and not primarily to the other characters. Is this an intentional change in writing, or am I just reading too much into it?
    At a certain point, when you're pushing 40 and have spent one-quarter of your life drawing a stick figure comic about D&D, you start to ask yourself whether what you are doing is really important and what impact, if any, your work will have on the world beyond momentary distractions.

Or maybe it's just that at a certain level of success, you stop worrying about whether a public stance you take on something that actually matters to you might alienate readers because there are things that are more important than sales numbers.

Probably a mixture of the two.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

At a certain point, when you're pushing 40 and have spent one-quarter of your life drawing a stick figure comic about D&D, you start to ask yourself whether what you are doing is really important and what impact, if any, your work will have on the world beyond momentary distractions.

Or maybe it's just that at a certain level of success, you stop worrying about whether a public stance you take on something that actually matters to you might alienate readers because there are things that are more important than sales numbers.

Thank you for the reply. :) I didn't, however, mean taking a public stance outside of the comic. I meant a more direct presentation within the comic itself. Do you think that sort of style is more effective for getting your point across? Is it just a simpler, cleaner style? Or am I seeing something that isn't there?
    There are thousands of good reasons magic doesn't rule the world. They're called mages. - Slightly misquoted Pratchett

4. - Top - End - #154
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Werekat View Post
    Thank you for the reply. :) I didn't, however, mean taking a public stance outside of the comic. I meant a more direct presentation within the comic itself. Do you think that sort of style is more effective for getting your point across? Is it just a simpler, cleaner style? Or am I seeing something that isn't there?
    It's all the same. The first answer probably applies more to the comic, the second more to the forum, but it's all part of the same continuum.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

5. - Top - End - #155
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Here's the thing: The reason it took "so long" for anyone on-panel to acknowledge that yes, killing a bazillion black dragons is wrong is largely because I thought it was self-evident from the narrative.
    You clearly forgot to show the half-dragon priest in white robes healing a leper while his adoring congregation looked on in horror as he got killed...although I doubt even that would have been enough, knowing the way discussions round here usually turn out.

Seriously, do you think it would have made a difference if you'd shown more human-like half-dragons in that image? Or would that have been too close to a spoiler for the later scene in the pyramid?

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

I think whether or not that would make a difference or be too blatant a hint for the scene in the pyramid is less important than the impact it would have on the message. I think part of the point is that V's actions aren't justified just because the creatures he happens to be mass-murdering don't look like we do. To show humans with draconic heritage would ruin the message, since giving us a familiar face with which to identify basically just enforces the sort of self/other binary the strip seems designed to shatter. The reader is supposed to see that the mass murder of essentially innocent, sentient beings is wrong, regardless of how different from oneself they may be. At least, that's the message I took from the scene. Rich can obviously speak for himself about his intentions, but I think including more humanoid victims would lessen the scene's power.

(Edited for clarity of phrasing.)
    Last edited by Zrak; 2013-11-19 at 03:08 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deworde View Post
    Good enough for Shakespeare, I guess.
    If it wasn't for those kinds of characters in Shakespeare's works I would have a hard time guessing who I'm supposed to be rooting for. Merchant of Venice, for example. Normally I would assume that the antisemite who spits on Jews and the disloyal daughter who steals from her father (and pawns the cherished keepsakes from her dead mother so that she can buy exotic pets) were bad guys.

Fortunately Shakespeare added a bunch of characters who kept on reminding us that these guys are totally awesome.

Rich, I think there's a lesson to be learned from Shakespeare. Have a bunch of characters who follow the protagonists around and remind us that they're the good guys no matter how awful they behave.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

I gotta say, one thing I think needs to be taken into account too is that this is the internet, and people on the internet can be butthats. I mean, I am, IRL, super-friendly. Even here, on this forum, I try to be nice, same with the Reaper forums and any other community forums. You find me in some of the other areas of the 'net? Hell, if your first encounter with me was on 4chan or Minecraft, you'd think my real name was Sir Douchington McKittenshiv.

See, the difference is this: I know how to modulate my butthattery. I understand that there are places I can make sexist/homophobic/slut-shaming/racist jokes, and I won't hurt anyone's feelings, and I won't have my feelings hurt when they make those jokes back because that's just where I am and what the culture's like. The problem comes when people forget that that's not the norm, when they come into nice areas like this and butt it up, and then you do risk hurting people - that's not right.

But to say that jokes like that have no place seems harsh to me, too. Some of the communities I'm in online are so vitriolic, so poisonous, that yeah, if you don't expect it, you'll get hurt. But that doesn't mean we're wrong for making those sorts of jokes, amongst ourselves, with no intent to hurt anyone - it means that you should stay out of those areas! But by the same token, jokes like that shouldn't be brought into safe environments like this one - we have no right to pee in this pool, just like you shouldn't dive into our (slightly yellower) one and then whine about the faint smell of ammonia.

At the end of the day, people who make offensive jokes (like this one) are like that kid in science class who starts talking over the teacher - they just don't understand the social restrictions normal people deal with enough to self-moderate their behavior. They make a lot of noise, sometimes, but in the end, sometimes we raise our voices even louder trying to shut them up - and in the end, it's pointless: people who can understand already do, and the people who don't won't be made to understand their inappropriateness by us. In the end, we're talking to two walls - the people who agree with us, and the people who's opinions we won't change, and we should keep that in mind; that's not to say we can't have constructive talks, but we shouldn't obsess over changing minds and attitudes, either. Fortunately, most of the people I know online who make offensive comments like this are well-adjusted people IRL who let themselves slip online; for some, it's cathartic, for others, a chance to ignore social norms... But I doubt that many of the people we get worked up over online are actually terrible homophobes/racists/sexists IRL.

And fortunately, at the end of the day, the mods, like the teachers with the loud kid in science, will sweep in and tell us to sit down and shut up. That's the great thing about a good forum like this! :D
    Last edited by Aard_Rinn; 2013-11-19 at 04:23 AM.
    Hole-in-the-trachea syndrome - a life-threatening condition affecting 10 out of 10 people who **** WITH ME!
    I'm what doctors call a carrier - it doesn't affect me, but people I come into contact with have an elevated risk of contracting a terminal case of hole-in-the-trachea syndrome!
    Oh, sure - laugh. Most people do - the full scope and tragedy doesn't really hit until it's someone you love who's got a terminal case of hole-in-the-trachea.

9. - Top - End - #159

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aard_Rinn View Post
    I gotta say, one thing I think needs to be taken into account too is that this is the internet, and people on the internet can be butthats. I mean, I am, IRL, super-friendly. Even here, on this forum, I try to be nice, same with the Reaper forums and any other community forums. You find me in some of the other areas of the 'net? Hell, if your first encounter with me was on 4chan or Minecraft, you'd think my real name was Sir Douchington McKittenshiv.
    I'm deliberately choosing not to engage your post as I'm not feeling up to a wall of text battle about the right to make offensive jokes that reinforce negative and hurtful social trends, but this is for every racist/sexist/inappropriate/griefing minecraft troll I've had to engage and almost inevitably ban. *throws snowball*

Have a nice day.

10. - Top - End - #160

MindFlayer

Oh, I don't do it on other people's servers - that would be rude, and I, at least, try not to hurt other people's feelings. I have my own server. Things... get pretty terrible, but we have fun!
    Hole-in-the-trachea syndrome - a life-threatening condition affecting 10 out of 10 people who **** WITH ME!
    I'm what doctors call a carrier - it doesn't affect me, but people I come into contact with have an elevated risk of contracting a terminal case of hole-in-the-trachea syndrome!
    Oh, sure - laugh. Most people do - the full scope and tragedy doesn't really hit until it's someone you love who's got a terminal case of hole-in-the-trachea.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's all the same. The first answer probably applies more to the comic, the second more to the forum, but it's all part of the same continuum.
    Thank you for the clarification. :)
    There are thousands of good reasons magic doesn't rule the world. They're called mages. - Slightly misquoted Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #162

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aard_Rinn View Post
    Oh, I don't do it on other people's servers - that would be rude, and I, at least, try not to hurt other people's feelings. I have my own server. Things... get pretty terrible, but we have fun!
    Ah, well that's fine. I apologise for any preemptive snowball throwing good poster.

13. - Top - End - #163

MindFlayer

Oh, no, I don't mind~ I've dealt with enough POS players on other servers to understand where you're coming from...

Besides, I can take a little knockback. Snowballs don't phase me!

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    You clearly forgot to show the half-dragon priest in white robes healing a leper while his adoring congregation looked on in horror as he got killed...although I doubt even that would have been enough, knowing the way discussions round here usually turn out.

Seriously, do you think it would have made a difference if you'd shown more human-like half-dragons in that image? Or would that have been too close to a spoiler for the later scene in the pyramid?
    That would have been aggressively counterproductive, since the latest iteration of "they were all black dragons, therefore Vaarsuvius didn't do anything wrong" is "Vaarsuvius made a tragic mistake by failing to take into account that the spell would hit part-dragons; s/he wouldn't have done anything wrong had s/he made sure all the targets were black dragons."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sylian View Post
    1. Quite likely, though it isn't impossible that the comic, in some ways, helped reinforce that belief. In the end, I'm inclined to believe that it did more good than harm, since we ended up in a situation where V discussed the implication of genocide of "Always Evil"-creatures that aren't really "Always" Evil.
    I find that fairly unlikely, actually, because the character that did it was pretty clearly painted as evil at the time he did it, and was even said in-comic to have taken a serious turn towards evil.

2. I seem to recall it being quite a popular topic, about whether Familicide was evil or not. In either case, I'm primarily using it as an example to help illustrate my point better, I'm not trying to pin any blame on the Giant for it.
    *checks google*

Hrm. I guess it was. Still, you had a lot of people arguing that it was an evil act in those threads.

3. To some extent, I'm inclined to agree. Redcloak is a lot more nuanced than Xykon, though, and not everything he does or believes in is necessarily bad. Are people supposed to think that because Redcloak believes that everyone should get a fair chance (if we assume he's not hypocritic, which he might very well be), giving people a fair chance is a bad thing? Probably not. If someone is racist in real life, I suppose they might agree with some of Redcloak's thoughts... but given how he's written, I'm not too worried. Redcloak's racism could, potentially, be problematic, though I don't think it is at the moment, and I don't think it's going to be. What's interesting is that if would step over the line with his racism, then it's likely that he will do so in a manner that's obviously evil and obviously bigoted, thus falling under the "Antagonist doing obviously bad things"-clause.
    Redcloak kind of was hypocritic (towards the hobgoblins), but yeah.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds;

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Does this mean that those words will never show up in anything I write ever again? Probably not, but at least in the future I hope to only use them when I'm depicting a character who is overtly sexist/misogynistic (like Tarquin), rather than having them flow out of the mouth of the primary female lead. Because what kind of message does that send? I may be wrong, but I think I've avoided Haley using any of those words for this entire book. I just didn't want to draw attention to it.
    I wonder if this is related to why Haley and Sabine's rivalry seems to have been dropped.

Not that there can't be a rivalry between 2 female characters without using those words. It's just an easy insult to throw at a succubus is all.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    It's just an easy insult to throw at a succubus is all.
    How about, "Life-draining fiend from the pit?"

(Or just "vapid devil" without the "whore" part; she really didn't like being called a devil, which might also serve to aggravate any feelings of prejudice she might have toward her direct superior.)

18. - Top - End - #168
    Banned

Daemon

Does this mean that those words will never show up in anything I write ever again? Probably not, but at least in the future I hope to only use them when I'm depicting a character who is overtly sexist/misogynistic (like Tarquin), rather than having them flow out of the mouth of the primary female lead. Because what kind of message does that send? I may be wrong, but I think I've avoided Haley using any of those words for this entire book. I just didn't want to draw attention to it.
    Does this mean "Sneak Attack Bitch" is dead?

If it makes you money, it made an impact on the world. An individual piece of work can't change someone unless they are willing to change themselves. They'll just accept the good quality story then store it away. At least people like it.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

As someone who has recently pushed 40 and had it start to push back, I understand this sentiment. Even though we're in very different careers with very different public visibility and, by some measures, very different levels of success. :) These are pretty universal questions, and common conclusions to come to, after a certain point.

I think some of it also stems naturally from just individual growth and change as a person. The writer who wrote Durkon's impassioned pleas to his murderer is not the same person who wrote the Forced Tentacles of Intrusion jokes. The artist who was drawing flame effects for V's spells a few comics ago is not the same artist who was drawing goblins in the first few comics. And so on.

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Unless they fight dogfolk amazons in next chapter, I suppose.
    "...As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Quote Originally Posted by Silverionmox View Post
    All the general's dinosaurs
    and all the general's men
    couldn't keep the Order
    from leaving again.
    Thanks to Cuthalion for awesome avatar!

21. - Top - End - #171
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benthesquid View Post
    It would also play into the Opposites theme with Nale- Nale and Sabine have experimented with gender-swapping play, with Sabine changing genders, and Nale is somewhat ashamed of it.

Elan and Haley experiment with gender-swapping play, with Elan changing genders, and they're both cool about it and don't think it's a big deal (or anyone else's business, which is why it won't be mentioned on panel until Elan makes an off-handed remark while talking about something else).
    I'd find it hilarious if Haley wanted to wear the belt instead of wanting Elan to wear it.

...and that's all I'll say on the subject.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Gosh I hope not. I don't really think it has to be though. Although it's a gendered insult, I don't really see that particular word as having the same sexualized (as opposed to gendered) context as the other insults that the Giant is moving away from.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

23. - Top - End - #173

Quote Originally Posted by Nolant Marlevy View Post
    I'd find it hilarious if Haley wanted to wear the belt instead of wanting Elan to wear it.

I mean, that's also potentially an option, but it wouldn't really speak to Haley's latent bisexuality, or Elan's curiosity about being a woman.
    Last edited by Benthesquid; 2013-11-19 at 10:21 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by Nolant Marlevy View Post

...why would you need to do one or the other?
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds;

25. - Top - End - #175

@The Giant: While you're still here, I have a question about strip #631. The conversation between V and Qarr goes like this:

Panel 2

Vaarsuvius: Begone from here, imp! You are wasting precious time if you cannot give me what I require.
    Vaarsuvius: (internal) Perhaps my books...
    Qarr: Oh, right, because I can just wave my fairy wand and POOF, you can teleport. Sure, I'll get right on that, Mr. Elf, sir.

Panel 3

Vaarsuvius: Is that not what tempters of your ilk do? Provide those willing to bargain with any extranormal abilities they may require?
    Qarr: What...like a literal sell-your-soul sort of thing?

This may be because I'm not a native speaker, but the jump from panel 2 to 3 seems rather... Odd. Where did V bring up the soul selling? V told the imp to scatter, then Qarr replied, sarcastically, that he wasn't able to help the elf teleport, and suddenly, V talks about soul selling. The progression always struck me as odd.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    I wonder if this is related to why Haley and Sabine's rivalry seems to have been dropped.

Not that there can't be a rivalry between 2 female characters without using those words. It's just an easy insult to throw at a succubus is all.
    I think "slut" is a meaningless insult to throw at a succubus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by Sylian View Post
    @The Giant: While you're still here, I have a question about strip #631. The conversation between V and Qarr goes like this:

Panel 2

Vaarsuvius: Begone from here, imp! You are wasting precious time if you cannot give me what I require.
    Vaarsuvius: (internal) Perhaps my books...
    Qarr: Oh, right, because I can just wave my fairy wand and POOF, you can teleport. Sure, I'll get right on that, Mr. Elf, sir.

Panel 3

Vaarsuvius: Is that not what tempters of your ilk do? Provide those willing to bargain with any extranormal abilities they may require?
    Qarr: What...like a literal sell-your-soul sort of thing?

This may be because I'm not a native speaker, but the jump from panel 2 to 3 seems rather... Odd. Where did V bring up the soul selling? V told the imp to scatter, then Qarr replied, sarcastically, that he wasn't able to help the elf teleport, and suddenly, V talks about soul selling. The progression always struck me as odd.
    Think of it this way.
    Vaarsuvius: If you can't help, then go away!
    Qaar: What, you were expecting me to be able to grant you wishes?
    Vaarsuvius: YES! You're a fiend! That's what fiends do! Wishes are what you use to tempt people!
    Qaar: Tempt people to sell their souls, you mean?
    Vaarsuvius: Yes, that's what I mean! You're a fiend and I need power enough to do anything for it, the situation is pretty self-explanatory!

28. - Top - End - #178

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    I think "slut" is a meaningless insult to throw at a succubus.
    Yeah, I think that's one of the very few, very rare times when that term might be acceptable, since, you know, succubus. Slut isn't a pejorative so much as it is a job description.

Hey, Rich, what made you decide to make Sabine a succubus anyway? That might have opened up the can of worms to start with.

29. - Top - End - #179

It's a meaningless insult to throw at anyone; it amounts to, "I, the speaker, am prudish and for some reason I think you should care."

But it is, as they say, the thought that counts.

30. - Top - End - #180

If I was writing a gritty realistic story about a woman living as a career criminal in New York, I would have every right to defend my dialogue choices for her as realistic or accurate. But I lose that defense the moment I have a character wiggle their fingers and shoot a ball of fire at a giant flying lizard, much less have the characters spout off about their hit points and Spot checks.
    Interestingly, it seems that it's easier to accept magic and dragons as believable than some changes in human nature. Perhaps it's generally easier to accept big differences to the real world, or perhaps it's because we intrinsically know humans better than we know the laws of physics.

That doesn't mean one can't or shouldn't try to portray a world that's different regarding humans. It just means that people are more likely to find such a world 'unrealistic' than a world with dragons.

Don't underestimate the impact of momentary distractions. Even if your comic was just funny (of course, it's much more than that), making people laugh is worth a lot, too.
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying