New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 20353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1470
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments IV - A Rich Source of Quotassium

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    The problem is, these tweets do add to some people's ability to understand the strip. The fact that they don't add to your ability, in particular, is irrelevant.

I will reiterate a point I made before, only slightly differently. Let's say you are writing a paper trying to teach people about particle physics. Do you omit everything from the paper that you already know? Of course not, since this paper is not written for you, it's written for everyone. It's the height of egotism to think "I don't find this confusing, therefore no one should find it confusing". If these quotes help some people understand the comic, which they obviously do, then they belong in the index.

I can point out a bunch of quotes from the index that don't aid in my understanding of the comic, but I still feel they should be in there because I am aware of the fact that I'm not the only human being on this planet. An awareness, it seems, not all of us have.

It's like Sheldon Cooper is here deciding what should go in or not. Anyone who doesn't understand everything he does is dumb and doesn't deserve to be reading this index anyway.
    Not at all! I don't think anybody on the opposing side is saying that at all. Rather, we are all saying that if you don't understand it, we can clarify by presenting sources from the comic itself that support the correct interpretation, and so an external source that essentially serves a redundant purpose is unnecessary.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Not at all! I don't think anybody on the opposing side is saying that at all. Rather, we are all saying that if you don't understand it, we can clarify by presenting sources from the comic itself that support the correct interpretation, and so an external source that essentially serves a redundant purpose is unnecessary.
    The point is that if the correct interpretation were clear from the comic, there wouldn't be so many people supporting the inclusion of the quote and saying it helped clarify the matter for them.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    The point is that if the correct interpretation were clear from the comic, there wouldn't be so many people supporting the inclusion of the quote and saying it helped clarify the matter for them.
    I have to agree here. There are plenty enough people who've posted here saying the tweets clarified a situation they found unclear, so I don't understand why people are still arguing that it was clear enough already. As has already been pointed out, there are plenty of other quotes in here that are purely clarifying something which should have been clear already (such as the difference between a vampire getting destroyed by the sun and turning into gaseous form), so why is this one so special it can't be included?

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Clarity on the first read is irrelevant. The information is there. I can point to the relevant strips and say "here is the big blur comment. Here is him remembering his mother. here is him remembering he got his mother's cooking from her house. Clearly, he remembers some details."
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Firbolg in the Playground

Looks like we'll soon reach the page limit for this thread, so we're going to need a new title!

To honor what seems to be our most frequent and most contentious exchanges, I'd like to propose:

"The Index of the Giant's Comments V - Welcome to the Redundant Redundancy Discussion Debate"

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Looks like we'll soon reach the page limit for this thread, so we're going to need a new title!
    Ah yes, better not forget that! Let's see, I know we had a couple suggestions last thread that didn't make it, maybe with the multi-pun power of Quotassium out of the way they'll do better this time.

So, dropping these here for now:

• The Index of the Giant's Comments V - On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index
    • The Index of the Giant's Comments V - Banana Republic
    • The Index of the Giant's Comments V - The Giant Writes Back
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Ah yes, better not forget that! Let's see, I know we had a couple suggestions last thread that didn't make it, maybe with the multi-pun power of Quotassium out of the way they'll do better this time.

So, dropping these here for now:

• The Index of the Giant's Comments V - On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index
    • The Index of the Giant's Comments V - Banana Republic
    I really like "The Giant Writes Back", but I say we go with Banana Republic and save the Star Wars pun for The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Return of the Big Guy
    Get it? Big guy? The Giant?
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2016-02-18 at 12:27 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ettin in the Playground

The Index of the Giant's Comments V - Organized Stalking
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

9. - Top - End - #1329

I really like "The Giant Writes Back", but I say we go with Banana Republic and save the Star Wars pun for The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Return of the Big Guy
    Get it? Big guy? The Giant?
    We voted down a Star Wars pun last time - it wasn't very good. "The Giant Writes Back", on the other hand, is great. Way better than "Return of the Big Guy".

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ettin in the Playground

We voted down a Star Wars pun last time - it wasn't very good. "The Giant Writes Back", on the other hand, is great. Way better than "Return of the Big Guy".
    "A New Quote" is much better than "Writes Back." Fight me irl

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I like Banana Republic
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Ettin in the Playground

I know, I was attempting a rather bad joke.

TBH, I can't think of a Star Wars VI or VII pun any better than this one, and we HAVE to have a star wars pun somewhere, so I'll change that vote

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    I like Banana Republic
    I too like Banana Republic. We need to save the really clever star wars puns for the seventh iteration of the thread. Everyone has made puns of the first six by now, but the seventh is new ground!
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't you think the banana meme has gone too far? It was an amusing typo followed by a very funny edit, but what's it got to do with The Giant's comments?

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I too like Banana Republic. We need to save the really clever star wars puns for the seventh iteration of the thread. Everyone has made puns of the first six by now, but the seventh is new ground!
    I just spent like 15 minutes on a Rhyming Dictionary website thinking the same thing, but for the life of me I couldn't think of anything with "The Force Awakens".

The best I could get is that this thread is a source, and source rhymes with Force....like I said, I got nothing.,

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I will throw my support behind

Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Ettin in the Playground

Voting for: V - The Giant Writes Back
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Don't you think the banana meme has gone too far? It was an amusing typo followed by a very funny edit, but what's it got to do with The Giant's comments?
    Well, when ThePhantasm contacted me about taking over curatorship (because of that "real life" stuff), the intent was to roll over near the end of the thread. I remembered thinking it was sad that none of the title suggestions at the end of the first thread were used, and decided I was going to get input from posters to determine what the next thread title would be....And when ThePhantasm's timetable changed and I had to port to a new thread immediately, there wasn't any time to actually do that, and the joke suggestion was all I had to work with, so I decided to go with it rather than reverse course to pick a title myself. It's a very tangential connection, yes, but still a connection.

Also, I'm easily amused and this continues to be a fruitful source of amusement for me

I just spent like 15 minutes on a Rhyming Dictionary website thinking the same thing, but for the life of me I couldn't think of anything with "The Force Awakens".

The best I could get is that this thread is a source, and source rhymes with Force....like I said, I got nothing.,
    Off the top of my head, "The Quotes (un)Forsaken".
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

19. - Top - End - #1339

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    "A New Quote" is much better than "Writes Back."
    Prove it!

Also, I'm easily amused and this continues to be a fruitful source of amusement for me
    It's a great meme but that doesn't mean it needs to be in the title of every thread. I'm saying this with the utmost respect for Our Bananavolent Dictator.

Off the top of my head, "The Quotes (un)Forsaken".
    Ouch.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ettin in the Playground

Clarity on the first read is irrelevant. The information is there. I can point to the relevant strips and say "here is the big blur comment. Here is him remembering his mother. here is him remembering he got his mother's cooking from her house. Clearly, he remembers some details."
    Why are you assuming "first read"? Those strips are six or seven years old. If people still need the information in them clarified, then I highly doubt it's because they only read them once.

21. - Top - End - #1341

I'll throw my lot in with the Banana Republic.
    Some day I'll probably peel off and support a less fruitful title, but that day is not today.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Why are you assuming "first read"? Those strips are six or seven years old. If people still need the information in them clarified, then I highly doubt it's because they only read them once.
    First read, seventh read, hundred and twelfth read, it doesn't really matter how many times you read it before you figure out what it means. If people are consistently getting confused, the strip could maybe have been written better, but the information is there.

Didn't we have this same argument about the strip where the demigod priests showed up and voted?

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Ettin in the Playground

First read, seventh read, hundred and twelfth read, it doesn't really matter how many times you read it before you figure out what it means.
    The point is they AREN'T figuring it out no matter how many times they read it. Do you not get that?

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The point is they AREN'T figuring it out no matter how many times they read it. Do you not get that?
    If they were figuring it out, nobody would need to be directing them to specific sections of it.

The information exists. I can point to it, specifically. Even if they don't see it on their own, others can show it to them.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I throw my support to:

The Index of the Giant's Comments V - On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

I vote for this one.
    "Really? The premature villain gloat? I'm a failure as a parent." - Loki, OotS #1012
    "The good news is that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing." - Blackwing, OotS #1020

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ogre in the Playground

+1 for "The Index of the Giant's Comments V - On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index"

(although to honor the original quote and I think it looks nicer, I wouldn't capitalize as much and would use "On a saner forum, we wouldn't need this Index".)

And since I'm posting anyway, I add my voice to include the Twitter quote.
    From reading 666,670 and 1022 (especially in that order) it is more than easy to conclude that he remembers some details. True, you could argue 670 with rule of funny and 1022 with posting a link the elevator scene in 600 (which still allows the argument that we don't actually see him having the food in 601, making it unclear whether that is some part he remembers or not, since we don't know where the elevator is in relation to the Big Golden Gate). So I can't see how linking to those three strips alone settles the matter since the description of 666 ("big, fulfilling blur") + 670/1022 makes it basically impossible to say what he remembers or not. Basically a whole range of answers from "basically nothing besides the sword move" to "quite some details like sexual intercourse of his mother, eating at home and thus also some other stuff" is possible and there is no clear answer in-comic*.

The Twitter quote makes it "perfectly" clear (or as clear as you can get with "blur" and "fuzzy"), so I honestly see no reason to object against inclusion. At least it says Roy had the food while being in a place in afterlife he can remember - which imo is something that can't be concluded from the comic alone.

*The problem is that for the story overall it isn't really necessary which position is actually true. As long es he remembers an amount between "something" and "not anything" the comic has no contradiction.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Ettin in the Playground

Got one!!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VII: The Source of Bacon

Don't anyone dare say it isn't good. It's comedy gold.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2016-02-18 at 02:39 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

It's a great meme but that doesn't mean it needs to be in the title of every thread. I'm saying this with the utmost respect for Our Bananavolent Dictator.
    Ya know, most of the time, my sentiments on this thread can be summed up as "what Gwynfrid said."

This is not one of those times.

Viva banana!
    Got one!!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VII: The Source of Bacon

Don't anyone dare say it isn't good. It's comedy gold.
    Would comedy pyrite suffice?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2016-02-18 at 02:43 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post

Would comedy pyrite suffice?
    Only a fool thinks it's funny?