New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: New Belkar Bitterleaf prequel story (plus Don't Split the Party) in PDF from Gumr

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    Question - is the O-Chul prequel still in the old art style (+black and white, obviously).
    I've heard that the O-Chul prequel is actually bluescale rather than greyscale.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: New Belkar Bitterleaf prequel story (plus Don't Split the Party) in PDF from Gumr

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    I've heard that the O-Chul prequel is actually bluescale rather than greyscale.
    That was the original plan, but it got junked somewhere along the way (Rich wasn't pleased with the look, IIRC) so it is going to be greyscale like most of the other supplementary materials.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2016-07-02 at 09:36 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    That was the original plan, but it got junked somewhere along the way (Rich wasn't pleased with the look, IIRC) so it is going to be greyscale like most of the other supplementary materials.
    I don't recall that. In one of the emails, maybe?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Ah, thanks for setting me straight :)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I don't recall that. In one of the emails, maybe?
    Look what you made me do! I had to spend minutes, minutes I say, tracking this down.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1141218

The second of the Backer's Choice PDFs is now complete: Therkla the half-orc ninja in "Spoiler Alert." (That's the name of the story, not an actual spoiler alert.) It's sixteen pages long, which is about what I've come to expect when I set out to write an eight page story. Backers, you'll be getting a second (private) update shortly after this one with a download link to a .zip file with the story, so keep an eye out for that.

It's also greyscale, not blue as I had previously envisioned it. Turns out the all-blue look didn't work as well as I would've liked, leaving the pages muddy and hard to read, so I scrapped it. I may try again when I start on the art for O-Chul; I think it might look better if I start with it blue instead of drawing it grey and then trying to convert it at the end. Or it might not, who knows?
    Turns out I slightly misremembered what was said, but given that the dialogue-less panel from the O-Chul story that was shown in the last KS update wasn't blue tinged (at least not to my eyes), I am going to guess that Rich decided to stick (ahem) with greyscale after all.

Or maybe he will try to blue tinge it after all when it is done. We'll find out soon enough, I suppose.

==========

On a separate note, and not to double post, Rich I wanted to let you know that the bottom of the page for the Chapter Art of Round Six in the pdf for DStP has that "Comic Title" "A" pseudo Page Number bug that crept up in one of the other PDFs.

Obviously not worth a whole new digital edition, but I thought you might want to make a note of it if/when you ever update it.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2016-07-03 at 01:37 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

6. - Top - End - #66
    Colossus in the Playground

While I didn't go to art school, my experience with trying to tint things non-greyscale shades is such that I'll be impressed if he comes up with a way to tint it that doesn't look like ass (if you'll excuse the technical term).
    Last edited by Kish; 2016-07-03 at 08:20 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

O-Chul's story will be done in the current art style, as will everything from now on unless I'm trying to specifically insert material into the middle of an older story for some reason, such as when I drew the bonus materials for Blood Runs in the Family. There wasn't any art completed on the O-Chul prequel beyond that cover image until recently, only outlines and scripts, so there's no need to match the older style if I don't want to (and I don't want to).

O-Chul's story will also be greyscale. The bluescale is nice in theory but the big problem with it is that without color, my art relies heavily on that black line to differentiate between blocks of grey that are sometimes only a little bit apart. Every blue I tried failed to do as good a job at separating darker tints (60-80%) as black does when separating equivalent greys. And any blue that even came close looked more like grey or purple when scaled back to 10-20%. The only way to make it work would have been to use different blues for different parts, at which point you're using multiple inks when printing and you might as well work in full color. The main reason I started using greyscale in the first place was due to the massive cost savings of 1-color printing anyway.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

8. - Top - End - #68

Makes sense. I was kind of exited about the bluescale, bit it's not gonna ruin my enjoyment of it.

9. - Top - End - #69

Yeah, I have a set of blue-tinted novelty shades somewhere or other to wear when I read it.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Thank you for answering! As a fan of the new art style, I'll be quite pleased when the story eventually gets released to us poor schmucks who couldn't participate in the Kickstarter <3 <3

(I mean, lbr. I'd have been pleased regardless. But this is icing XD)
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2016-07-04 at 02:06 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The bluescale is nice in theory but the big problem with it is that without color, my art relies heavily on that black line to differentiate between blocks of grey that are sometimes only a little bit apart.
    Another issue with blue, which probably contributed to the problem of finding usable shades, is basic human anatomy: our eyes just aren't very sensitive to it. It is a very poor color to use when differentiating details.

This effect gets worse as we age. Our eyes tend to yellow, which makes our blue perception even worse.

(I knew my cartography class would come in handy. Eventually.)
    Last edited by Sky_Schemer; 2016-07-05 at 04:41 PM.
    If you can read this you are too close.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I want to say that having donated to the Kickstarter, I'd be happy if the PDFs were for-sale to everybody as soon as we got them. I'd sooner the stories were publicly available. As far as DStP, I don't want to shell out $17 for a PDF when I already have the hard copy, but I really want to read that essay!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Heh, love the John Cage joke.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Got Uncivil Servant, enjoyed it. Will probably order DtSP soon.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Halfling in the Playground

So, I finally got to buy them both. Since I already got the Belkar pdf as a KS reward,I only payed 2$ but I guess every cent counts. I'm looking forward to the OotS-campaign part.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I’d like to point out that the Shop page still lists “Don’t Split the Party” as “coming soon” from Gumroad, and says nothing about “Uncivil Servant”.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Can someone advise on how to download from the Kickstarter page if you were a subscriber? I can't find the link on the update page he was talking about (and I am signed in).
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Can someone advise on how to download from the Kickstarter page if you were a subscriber? I can't find the link on the update page he was talking about (and I am signed in).
    I don't know about the kickstarter page, but you could just comb through your email. Using "burlew" as a search criteria found me all the kickstarter emails with links to download.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I don't know about the kickstarter page, but you could just comb through your email. Using "burlew" as a search criteria found me all the kickstarter emails with links to download.
    Already done. It did not show up, and wasn't in my spam folder.

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

20. - Top - End - #80
    Colossus in the Playground

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That worked. Thanks. Not sure why it wasn't showing when I tried to go to it from inside Kickstarter originally.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Yeah, I have a set of blue-tinted novelty shades somewhere or other to wear when I read it.
    Do they play ZZ Top singing "Cheap Sunglasses"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

23. - Top - End - #83
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, something I noticed about the statblock in the bonus material:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are stats there beyond what's seen, but they're invisible due to clipping. They can be revealed with the help of copy-and-paste. Notably, everything smaller than juvenile is just zeroes - the Giant has spoken out against statting babies - but there are proper stats for the next few categories. Apparently, beige dragons get less charismatic with age.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    So, something I noticed about the statblock in the bonus material:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Apparently, beige dragons get less charismatic with age.
    Wow. That's a neat discovery (and hilarious ).
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

25. - Top - End - #85

Why is that a surprise? Everyone knows babies (and puppies, kittens, etc) are the apex of charismatic.

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Why is that a surprise? Everyone knows babies (and puppies, kittens, etc) are the apex of charismatic.
    Then why have no babies ever been elected king? Check and mate.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Then why have no babies ever been elected king? Check and mate.
    You're mistaken.
    ungelic is us

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    You're mistaken.
    After some research, King Baby clearly did not come to power through a democratic process, but by birthright. As sad as it may be, King Baby will soon taste the bitter fruit of an uprising due to his lack of charisma. Viva la revolución!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Let's please keep this thread free of derailments and irrelevant conversations, please.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

I just logged in for the first time in years to say that I bought the Belkar story for $1.

And since I was there already, I bought every other main-plotline PDF too. 😃

Nice marketing gimmick. Now I can't wait for BRitF to come out in pdf too.
    Quote Originally Posted by i6uuaq View Post
    My bid to win an internet.

Spoiler
    Show

To those who say that the timing is wrong for familicide, besides the fact that dry air can mummify bodies effectively, and this has been observed in real life, I offer this second thought:

Do I win?