New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default #680: "But it might be worth asking around in this new place that's--"

Panel Nine

What was that all about? Worldbuilding? Foreshadowing the Linear Guild's divination front? Something that's still yet to pay off? A reference that flew over my head?

I must know the truth.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: #680: "But it might be worth asking around in this new place that's--"

Probably a reference to the Empire of Blood, or one of its contemporaries in the Sweat and Tears department.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: #680: "But it might be worth asking around in this new place that's--"

fairly sure it's NPC shopkeeper dialog and not much else, although Z was going around pretending to be a psychic so maybe that woman thought it was a place that could help?

might be reading too much into things there.
    Thog is elegant in Thogs simplicity

Avatar by the always excellent Zimmerwald1915

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it is only a flavourful reference that there is a new place - since there is often enough a new place with the ongoing wars/shifting borders/new kingdoms.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The shopkeeper probably didn't mean any Empires - they are not very new, at least from her point of view - but she might mean the company she gets the maps from. And I suspect the company being supervised by Kilkil.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

That... is an excellent question. I have no idea. It sounded to me like she was going to suggest that they check another shop. It could be a lead into some bonus material in the next book maybe?
    Last edited by AKA_Bait; 2013-10-15 at 03:35 PM.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I'd figured she was referring to one of the Empires that's taken over the general region.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Immediately before that, she's listing empires and kingdoms. This thought is clearly continuing the previous one -- "a Cruelvania, and two Despotanias, East and West. But it might be worth asking around in this new place that's--"

Seems singularly non-mysterious to me.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

I think she is trying to help Haley in her search, by suggesting another shop she can look into – perhaps one with history books or something.
    It is very unlikely that this shop is Zzdtri's and Sabine's fortune teller shop, since they must have had that in Bleedingham, Empire of Blood, and Haley and the cartographer is in Sandsedge, quite far away from that.

I find "NPC shopkeeper dialog and not much else" to be the most plausible theory yet, I'm afraid.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Remember, Rich is not a huge fan of the Law of Conservation of Detail.
    Wolfen Houndog - The World in Revolt (4e)
    The Mythic Warrior, a 3.5 base class that severs limbs and sunders armor
    The Nameless One, converted to 3.5 and 5e

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The shopkeeper had been talking about empires, but with respect to Haley's question about why she can't find the country she's looking for. Something along the lines of "I don't have the map you want (because of [reasons]), but you might try this new store that just opened..." I seriously doubt she's talking about going to a newly formed nation just to find a map. And I doubt a cartography shop, no matter how extensive their archives of maps, is likely to be plot-critical.

Though if anyone could pull it off, it'd be the Giant.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

12. - Top - End - #12

She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

13. - Top - End - #13

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."
    May I sig this Fish? This is just full of awesomeness

14. - Top - End - #14

Sure! If you can make it fit ... :)
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

15. - Top - End - #15

"taken over a bunch of territory, recently. It's called The Empire of Blood."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benthesquid View Post
    "taken over a bunch of territory, recently. It's called The Empire of Blood."
    The Empire of Blood is 2 years old, and the shopkeeper even says "'Two years ago' is ancient history around here," so I don't see how that can be considered a new place.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    The Empire of Blood is 2 years old, and the shopkeeper even says "'Two years ago' is ancient history around here," so I don't see how that can be considered a new place.
    Could it be, "This new chancellor/warlord/priest/whatever they have in the Empire of Blood"? Or do we know they'd been there at least two years?
    I prepared Comic Sans today.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"...called People's Democratic Dictatorship. Their capital has a library that is famous for stocking old documents, so they might have a map where Tyrinaria is still present."

Maybe?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by davidbofinger View Post
    Could it be, "This new chancellor/warlord/priest/whatever they have in the Empire of Blood"? Or do we know they'd been there at least two years?
    Malack and Tarquin both mention being there 2 years ago:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0719.html
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html

Kilkil may be somewhat new (he said Nale "must be an older bounty" because he was unfamiliar with him), but the shopkeeper says new place).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

The best part is that I don't even remember what she was referring to. I think maybe it was supposed to be foreshadowing for the Empires, but the timing is off...but I may just not have had the timeframe locked in yet in my mind. As in, I may have (at the time of that strip) thought that the Empire of Blood was newer and that there was another name between Tyrinaria and Empire of Blood that I subsequently decided against and/or forgot about by the time I got to Tarquin's exposition. Who knows?

You forgot that the half-orc cleric who researched it is Redcloak's niece.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by thereaper View Post
    Remember, Rich is not a huge fan of the Law of Conservation of Detail.
    More to the point, the law of Conservation of Detail is most relevant to short works. Checkov's LONG works were three act plays, any ONE of the Order of the Stick books has more text (never mind pictures) than any of them. It makes sense for Checkov to say that if you hang a gun on the wall in act one it needs to be used by act three, because he was telling a story in as little as a few hundred words, you simply can't do that and add lots of extraneous details.

Rich is telling a story in 10 or so BOOKS, he can and should include lots of little indications that the world is bigger than what's shown on panel.

True. Remembering to include this sort of detail is why Rich is the master and we are but students who sit in awe before his feet.

Now that Rich has CONFIRMED that Redcloak's neice is definitely a half-orc rather than a goblin we can start discussing the VITAL information about the comic's future that this gives us!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    More to the point, the law of Conservation of Detail is most relevant to short works. Checkov's LONG works were three act plays, any ONE of the Order of the Stick books has more text (never mind pictures) than any of them. It makes sense for Checkov to say that if you hang a gun on the wall in act one it needs to be used by act three, because he was telling a story in as little as a few hundred words, you simply can't do that and add lots of extraneous details.

Rich is telling a story in 10 or so BOOKS, he can and should include lots of little indications that the world is bigger than what's shown on panel.

True. Remembering to include this sort of detail is why Rich is the master and we are but students who sit in awe before his feet.

Now that Rich has CONFIRMED that Redcloak's neice is definitely a half-orc rather than a goblin we can start discussing the VITAL information about the comic's future that this gives us!
    Lol. She's obviously half-orc, half-goblin. Notice how well white goes together with that blue cursor outline?
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, we have no real timeframe on the Empire of Sweat (it's as old as Roy's map, at least), so we can pretend she was alluding one of the Empires, just not the right one. (It was her first time on-screen, cut her some slack for getting her foreshadowing wrong!)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Half-orc? Man, that's going to start a million rumors if this leaks out to the forum in general.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

25. - Top - End - #25

He's referring to the Therkla threads where people would ask if she could be Red Cloak's niece, forgetting that she was a half orc and not a goblin, isn't he?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    He's referring to the Therkla threads where people would ask if she could be Red Cloak's niece, forgetting that she was a half orc and not a goblin, isn't he?
    Nonsense. I'll freely admit that there were a number of people who claimed that Therkla was Red Cloak's niece totally ignoring the complete lack of evidence for that position, and the strong evidence against. These people deserve a certain amount of ridicule.

But the Giant hasn't said that AT ALL, the half-orc he's talking about is TOTALLY different, as she's a wizard and is researching spells and actually is Redcloak's niece.

I don't see how you plan to fit in with forum speculation if given the SOLID evidence of a professional liar author saying something as a joke you're not willing to spin elaborate theories out of almost nothing.

I'm just surprised he didn't find a way to fit in the apparently obvious to many fact that Ian is going to show up again in the comic in the current scene for no apparent reason. (How would he get there? Who knows? Why would he get there? Who knows? How did he even know that there is there? Who knows? None of this is important, Ian will show up soon. The forums have spoken.)

Edited to add: Next thing you know you'll be saying that Belkar will most probably die at the climax at the fifth gate, and that's crazy talk.
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2013-10-21 at 10:02 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    Half-orc/Half-goblin?
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    But the Giant hasn't said that AT ALL, the half-orc he's talking about is TOTALLY different, as she's a wizard and is researching spells and actually is Redcloak's niece.
    No, she's a cleric, and probably the same cleric who was a friend of Old Blind Pete, and possibly carrying Durkon's baby.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brionl View Post
    Half-orc/Half-goblin?
    That's obvious nonsense. She must be half human, since her mother was clearly Girard in disguise.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Daemon

You Lie! Redcloak's Niece is only 15, far too young. The Half-Orc Cleric is clearly Fyron's son, who is also a lich so as to be more like the one who killed him, Xykon.