New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Spell Component Question

Reading through the spell rules it says that components aren't always used up after a spell is cast. How can I tell if a spell uses the components?

Also can a focus replace components?
    Haggis is Sheep's stomach filled with its intestines.

My blog "Awkward GM"

2. - Top - End - #2

BardGuy

Default Re: Spell Component Question

EDIT: I was wrong.

Spell components that have a specified price are always used up. Spell components that don't have a price are, I *think*, always used up, but I could be wrong. However, as long as you have a component pouch or are wielding an appropriate spellcasting focus, you can act as if you had every component without a price.
    Last edited by Edge of Dreams; 2014-08-18 at 03:21 PM.
    I spent an hour on the edge of dreams,
    I walked between the worlds,
    and when I woke I never knew
    to which side I had fallen

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Expensive spell components are explicitly NOT used up unless the spell says "which the spell consumes" in the material components line. This is explained on page 203.

Otherwise Chromatic Orb would be the worst 1st level spell ever, as every casting would eat through most of a 1st level character's starting gold. As it is, you just have to hang onto that diamond, but if the rogue steals it or you lose it, no Chromatic orb 'til you get a new one.

Stoneskin, by contrast, really does cost 100 gp every time you cast it.
    Last edited by Grynning; 2014-08-18 at 03:22 PM.
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It will specify if the component gets used up. Sometimes expensive components are not used up, and sometimes they are. If a spell calls for an expensive component, you must have it to cast the spell. Inexpensive material components can be handwaved if you have a spell component pouch or focus item (rod/staff/wand/etc.).

For example, Haste calls for, "a shaving of licorice root." Either you have a shaving of licorice root, or an arcane focus, or you don't cast Haste.

Contrast with Heroes Feast, which calls for, "a gem-encrusted bowl worth at least 1000gp, which the spell consumes." Clearly, this spell was popularized by the bowl-jewelers guild in order to ensure a steady income.

Edit: ninja'd, typos
    Last edited by HugeC; 2014-08-18 at 03:23 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HugeC View Post

Contrast with Heroes Feast, which calls for, "a gem-encrusted bowl worth at least 1000gp, which the spell consumes." Clearly, this spell was popularized by the bowl-jewelers guild in order to ensure a steady income.
    Heh, that could be an amusing subplot in a campaign, learning how spells were initially developed. Maybe the wizard is going through the thaumas and realizes there's no good reason for the bowl, and goes on an epic quest (with the rest of the very long-suffering party), only to find out that, yes, the original creator of the spell had a cousin who had a failing jeweled pottery business.

Unfortunately, because the magic is now part of the very fabric of creation, he has to go and convince every other caster with that spell, *and* their partymates, that it no longer needs the bowl.

You could string this out as long as you could keep from giggling, I imagine.

6. - Top - End - #6

NinjaGuy

So if I have a spell focus I don't have to use components for say Mage armor that requires cured leather?
    Haggis is Sheep's stomach filled with its intestines.

My blog "Awkward GM"

7. - Top - End - #7

Chimera

Yes, provided it has no cost.

The expensive component for Chromatic Orb is vexing. My first character concept is an Urchin Sorcerer ... how does a street kid get a 50gp diamond?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiousLeader View Post
    Yes, provided it has no cost.

The expensive component for Chromatic Orb is vexing. My first character concept is an Urchin Sorcerer ... how does a street kid get a 50gp diamond?
    Step 1: Find a wealthy person.
    Step 2: Pick their pocket.
    Step 3: If they didn't notice you, enjoy your new spell! If they did, enjoy testing your new spell!

I feel like there should be a ??? or profit step in here somewhere...
    Attacking the darkness since 2009.

Spoiler: Quotes I like
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal regarding What would a Cat Lord want? View Post
    She wants the renegade Red Dot brought to her court in chains.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz regarding randomly rolling edgelord backstories View Post
    Huh...Apparently I'm Agony Blood Blood, Half-orc Shadow Sorcerer. I killed a Dragons. I'm Chaotic Good, probably racist.