New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    It's easy to say be optimistic, not easy to be it. Still, I guess this is a time where I'm going to feel glum and pessimistic some days, and I'm going to get better anyway probably isn't a good attitude.
    I don't know that it's necessarily a bad attitude. The point of the comic involves the person choosing to make an effort to get better though. At least that was my reading. Think of being depressed like a fever, it's your mind's way of telling you that something isn't working or is dangerous and you need to make a change. Of course, your subconscious isn't the best judge of anything so there are problems with that.

It just continually feels like I'm sitting down to play Martian Chess, and half my friends are saying it's impossible to work out on your own but I can't give you any advice, and the other half are insisting it's Draughts (assume for the purposes of this exercise that all bar one of my friends are into Martian Chess). Like, normal social interaction is like chess, I know how to play it but end up in a bad position because I'm overly defensive and can't react to aggressive openings, but when it comes to dating it's like a game that I've heard about and never played, while I get told that it's intuitive and that nobody can give me any help and then I'm told off for feeling bad about it (no fingers being pointed at you, I've had advice that boils down to 'don't feel bad at all' rather than 'don't stew in loneliness').
    I wouldn't say that dating is intuitive. What I would say is that dating any individual person is like playing a completely different game. So while you might have a run of dates that are like "Martian Chess", the person you click with might be like a theoretical game you enjoy more. In a sense it's quite similar, some people are very good at "Martian Chess" so dating the equivalent is perfect for them, some people are good at poker. About the time I met my wife, I decided that I was going to completely change who I was as a person.

I was an unhappy pseudointellectual nerdy guy who spent most of my time at the gym or doing nerdy hobbies. And I wasn't happy with who I was. I realized that while I liked nerdy persuits and what-not, I didn't really "fit in" with people around me, so I jumped ship and reinvented myself. I changed my name (not my actual name, just which variation I used), I got into a blue collar job, I eventually moved out to the country. I changed my political views, my social views, but my essence remained, and I found it a home it fit into better. I think that the point here is that you might be trying to play the wrong game, so maybe find a game that you can enjoy more.

I've been suffering from semi-permanent writer's block for nearly two years, it annoys me. I want to get a piece to a point where I feel like publically sharing it, but as it is most of my work would just get trashed (and is pulpy as **** anyway*).

* The bits that aren't are intentionally aping Asimov, so I'm not sure that counts as 'my style'.
    Aping Asimov is a fine style

Spoiler: Brother
    Show
    Oh, life is going to hit him like a sack of bricks once he finishes university and his smoking catches up with him (although considering my weight problems maybe I'm not one to talk). The brother who is actually something and really successful is much nicer when we're not playing board games together, but we were never that close because he is great at making friends and I'm a nerdy nerd (although we do occasionally have the odd conversation on gaming or literature, they're our two shared hobbies).

Honestly, my brother stopped bothering me once I realised he had decided that spending all his free time at the gym, 'parties', and lying on the sofa watching the same handful of comedy programmes which think 'people being nasty' counts as humour. I susoect that while he's at the time of his life where everything's easiest, if I can just sort out a job for myself then in a year or five I'll be in the best part of my life and will have things to actually talk about (heck, the closest I got to a date in the last year game from talking about my writing). It's annoying and a horrible move for him to be talking about this stuff so much when I've had one relationship in my life that lasted two weeks, but once I've left the room and/ordug out the cricket bat it doesn't bother me anymore.

I think that your brother might be that way, but don't be surprised if he isn't. Sometimes people who are crappy when they're young mature and wind up just okay.

But it's the implication that I'm moaning about nothing. Because being unable to get a date and not having seen your friends in almost a month is just peachy, I feel so loved right now that rainbows are coming out of my mouth as is the fact that I can't find a single job that I'm qualified for that'll take me and is better than the one I'm doing right now.
    Well I would recommend trying something completely different then. Change your approach up as far as jobs completely. Find a different set of friends. It's easier I think, to reinvent than it is to fix where you are now, sometimes.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Another thing to remember is that life is innately unfair. People who are predisposed to depression have to work harder to stabilize their moods, and people with social anxiety have a harder time being social.

The unfairness isn't going to change, people who are disadvantaged need to try harder if they want the same results. People who learn slower have to study harder to keep up, people who have weight problems have to diet more carefully, and less attractive people have to exercise more and have better humor.

I have had a lot of problems with accepting this myself, but this is a fundamental part of the world and you will get further accepting it and bettering yourself then fighting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #753
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I'd imagine raising pigs would be way harder, if the farmer is the sentimental type (and had a small farm enough to interact with them decently enough).
    Actually raising pigs was pretty easy. I carried out 10 gallons of water twice per day [once in AM before school, once after] and 200 lbs of feed when the feeder was empty, a 100 lb Bag on each shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Actually rabbits are about the most efficient animal in terms of feed-to-protein ratio, they're just hard to raise and people don't like them because of the sentimental value.
    They will eat their young while you have your back turned. I let them stay with the mother to nurse and they would be gone when I got back from school.

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Pigs can be rough that way, but by the time you butcher them they're a several hundred pound animal and are very much not babe.

Just monsters in general by the time you eat them.
    250 to 300 lbs was a delicious weight. And mine were like digs, always wanting ttheir heads scratched.

I'm not so sure a pseudodragon can eat a whole goat.
    Sure they can .. .. .. one bite at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Aren't you supposed to DM?

• Gold to Lead
    that is a great way to hide your riches. then reverse it when you need some gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    I don't think that's a good hiding place. People only build tanks to put liquid in them, and that's only going to be clear water if you're lucky!
    acid, petroleum in various stages [LPG on your worse day], sewage if near a modern pork farm .. .. ..

Don't worry, long pigs are weird too.
    I hear it tastes like soylant green.

ION:
    Something has happened to my immune system and I'm not happy with it. In the past, anything except for the absolutely most severe colds would last three days, you could almost set a clock.
    I pretty much never get sick myself, but occasionally that new strain of the flu that I have no antibodies for [like November 2018] or a non flu flu-like virus will sneak up and bite my arse.

Clerks Uncensored. Which, of course, was massively censored. .. .. .. .. ..
    It's a great show, I cannot recommend it enough, despite the fact that it makes Firefly look like a long-running series that was treated well by its network.
    ouch - too soon
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

4. - Top - End - #754
    Bugbear in the Playground

Startin' to look like my laptop is well and truly on its last leg. About a week ago I was afraid it would be completely nonfunctional, and fortunately it managed to make its way back from the brink, but it's definitely not firing on all cylinders. It crashed three times yesterday, takes forever to restart (and sometimes I have to hit the power button mid-restart because it seems to freeze), and when it isn't crashing, it's pretty slow and programs stop responding all the time.

Hopefully it can get fixed, because aside from the inconvenience of having to move all my files to a new computer, I can't even begin to afford a new laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Colossus in the Playground

I was a hero today!
    all because I wanted free food

Spoiler: Zodi's Mildly Silly Adventure
    Show
    so I was going to go to the store downstairs to get some stuff
    since I wanted some stuff
    but on tthe way I noticed there was a small fair of sorts by the school board
    I went over and talked to a person there and it's a back to school fair
    free food and drinks!
    So I took some, re-met some of my old teachers
    bragged about how I'm in a law office now and writing a novel
    had some fun time
    as I'm leaving I overhear that someone lost their keys
    I don't think much of it, I'm sure they'll find it
    but the person help look for the keys is at the door to my building, in case they were dropped there
    I think nothing of it again, but, with my bag of stuff I bought from the store heavy in my arm
    I go
    wait
    what if it was lost
    on the inside of the building
    and I ask the security guard if there's a lost pair of keys
    there are
    I rush out to the lady
    give it to her
    she gives it to the person who lost their key
    victory all around

6. - Top - End - #756
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I was a hero today!
    all because I wanted free food

Spoiler: Zodi's Mildly Silly Adventure
    Show
    but on tthe way I noticed there was a small fair of sorts by the school board
    I went over and talked to a person there and it's a back to school fair
    free food and drinks!
    So I took some, re-met some of my old teachers
    bragged about how I'm in a law office now and writing a novel
    had some fun time
    as I'm leaving I overhear that someone lost their keys
    I don't think much of it, I'm sure they'll find it
    but the person help look for the keys is at the door to my building, in case they were dropped there
    I think nothing of it again, but, with my bag of stuff I bought from the store heavy in my arm
    I go
    wait
    what if it was lost
    and I ask the security guard if there's a lost pair of keys
    there are
    I rush out to the lady
    give it to her
    she gives it to the person who lost their key
    victory all around

Spoiler: Zodi's Mildly Silly Adventure - edited version
    Show
    but on the way I noticed there was a small fair and stuff of sorts by the school board
    I went over and talked to a person there and it's a back to school fair and stuff
    free food and drinks and stuff!
    So I took some stuff, re-met some of my old teachers
    bragged about how I'm in a law office now and writing a novel and stuff
    had some fun time
    as I'm leaving I overhear that someone lost their keys and stuff
    I don't think much of it, I'm sure they'll find the stuff
    but the person needing help looking for the keys and stuff is at the door to my building, in case they were dropped there
    I go
    wait
    what if it was lost
    and I ask the security guard if there's a lost pair of keys and stuff
    there are
    I rush out to the lady
    give it to her
    she gives it to the person who lost their keys and stuff
    victory all around

editing complete
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

WRT useful advice: will reply when I'm at an actual computer, possibly tomorrow.

I have a far less cheery story. I was on the Northern Line going to my friend's birthday do when somebody fell in front of the train. This would be bad enough, but I didn't notice until the driver began talking due to how smoothly it happened.

Thankfully I was in the front carriage so I was able to get away fairly quickly,and last thing I know they were speaking despite being in the gap between the train and the platform, and both the paramedics and police arrived promptly, but still.

A horrific accident happened less than two metres from me and I didn't notice
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #758

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    Spoiler: Zodi's Mildly Silly Adventure - edited version
    Show
    but on the way I noticed there was a small fair and stuff of sorts by the school board
    I went over and talked to a person there and it's a back to school fair and stuff
    free food and drinks and stuff!
    So I took some stuff, re-met some of my old teachers
    bragged about how I'm in a law office now and writing a novel and stuff
    had some fun time
    as I'm leaving I overhear that someone lost their keys and stuff
    I don't think much of it, I'm sure they'll find the stuff
    but the person needing help looking for the keys and stuff is at the door to my building, in case they were dropped there
    I go
    wait
    what if it was lost
    and I ask the security guard if there's a lost pair of keys and stuff
    there are
    I rush out to the lady
    give it to her
    she gives it to the person who lost their keys and stuff
    victory all around

editing complete
    ... what did you do, and why did you do that instead of literally anything else?

EDIT: Holy jesus **** **** Anonwizard. I hope you're okay! And truth be told it's probably better you DIDN'T notice... you don't need the added stress of "has seen someone die" on you. Good lord.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-08-31 at 04:08 PM.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

WRT useful advice: will reply when I'm at an actual computer, possibly tomorrow.

I have a far less cheery story. I was on the Northern Line going to my friend's birthday do when somebody fell in front of the train. This would be bad enough, but I didn't notice until the driver began talking due to how smoothly it happened.

Thankfully I was in the front carriage so I was able to get away fairly quickly,and last thing I know they were speaking despite being in the gap between the train and the platform, and both the paramedics and police arrived promptly, but still.

A horrific accident happened less than two metres from me and I didn't notice

Holy...
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-01 at 10:10 AM.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    {scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    Are you sure the criticism was constructive?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-01 at 10:10 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Are you sure the criticism was constructive?
    Uh....more like brutal honesty.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Troll in the Playground

Uh....more like brutal honesty.
    Be careful with that, because often "I'm just being brutally honest" translates to (and/or is interpreted as) "I don't actually care about the other person's feelings," which is what tends to cause people to start to disassociate with the 'brutally honest' person.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

{scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    You do have a tendency to insist that things you don't like are bad and should not exist. That doesn't leave a lot of room for discussion and tends to cause people who like those things to tune you out.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-01 at 10:11 AM.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Be careful with that, because often "I'm just being brutally honest" translates to (and/or is interpreted as) "I don't actually care about the other person's feelings," which is what tends to cause people to start to disassociate with the 'brutally honest' person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    You do have a tendency to insist that things you don't like are bad and should not exist. That doesn't leave a lot of room for discussion and tends to cause people who like those things to tune you out.
    Yes which I was very sensitive about certain things. I have to stop really doing that.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-08-31 at 09:15 PM.

16. - Top - End - #766

I got a ruined part of shorts into a skirt today.

Feels good *swish swish*

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well if people don't want to hear the brutally honest truth about something then what's the point then?
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-08-31 at 10:51 PM.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well if people don't want to hear the brutally honest truth about something then what's the point then?
    "Brutally honest truth" usually means "my very negative opinion." Refraining the discussion so it is about opinions and not attacking things other people like makes everyone get along a lot better.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    "Brutally honest truth" usually means "my very negative opinion." Refraining the discussion so it is about opinions and not attacking things other people like makes everyone get along a lot better.
    You're definitely not wrong on this one.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

You could try removing the "brutal" part

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac

Feels good *swish swish*
    Nani?
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

21. - Top - End - #771
    Troll in the Playground

Feels good *swish swish*
    Nice. I do very much like the swishy-swish. I got a very nice, bright, light one recently. Goes nice with my hair, which I like. But, always approve of more skirts in the world.

(I've admittedly never really been a shorts person, though. So, turning them into a skirt, I doubly approve of. )

22. - Top - End - #772

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    You could try removing the "brutal" part

Nani?
    I have a really nice pair of shorts that should really be thrown out, due to a tear in the seam of the crotch.

I have taken a pair of scissors to say seam to finish the tear, leaving me with what is effectively a skirt, that I ca now turn 90 degrees to the left so I've got this cute little, slit legged skirt thing going on. It's cute.

Or, for short: swish swish.

Nice. I do very much like the swishy-swish. I got a very nice, bright, light one recently. Goes nice with my hair, which I like. But, always approve of more skirts in the world.

(I've admittedly never really been a shorts person, though. So, turning them into a skirt, I doubly approve of. )
    Oh man that sounds great.

I love shorts myself, they're good clothing. But skirts are amazing. Swish swish.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Troll in the Playground

I have a really nice pair of shorts that should really be thrown out, due to a tear in the seam of the crotch.

I have taken a pair of scissors to say seam to finish the tear, leaving me with what is effectively a skirt, that I ca now turn 90 degrees to the left so I've got this cute little, slit legged skirt thing going on. It's cute.

Nice. Ingenuity for the win. Cute is a nice bonus, too.

Oh man that sounds great.

I love shorts myself, they're good clothing. But skirts are amazing. Swish swish.
    Yeah, it's really light, and cute, and flow-y. Was a little more expensive than I'd like, but, man, worth it.

The closest that I have to shorts, probably, is this one little thick-fabric'd skirt that I have that has, for some reason, belt loops on the side. Which puzzles me. But I don't actually care, because it also has something far, far more important: real pockets.

24. - Top - End - #774

Nice. Ingenuity for the win. Cute is a nice bonus, too.

Yeah, it's really light, and cute, and flow-y. Was a little more expensive than I'd like, but, man, worth it.

The closest that I have to shorts, probably, is this one little thick-fabric'd skirt that I have that has, for some reason, belt loops on the side. Which puzzles me. But I don't actually care, because it also has something far, far more important: real pockets.
    An unfortunate aspect of female fashion is that often times, design trumps function. Someone decided those belt loops looked cool. They were probably right at the time.

Huzzah pockets though!

25. - Top - End - #775
    Troll in the Playground

An unfortunate aspect of female fashion is that often times, design trumps function. Someone decided those belt loops looked cool. They were probably right at the time.
    Indeed, alas. And while I understand it, it doesn't mean that I can't complain.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

... what did you do, and why did you do that instead of literally anything else?

EDIT: Holy jesus **** **** Anonwizard. I hope you're okay! And truth be told it's probably better you DIDN'T notice... you don't need the added stress of "has seen someone die" on you. Good lord.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post

Holy...
    Thanks guys, looks like it hasn't hit the news so I'm guessing he was alright in the end. Still, spent most of last night in a state of shock.

Uhh....

Sorry, despite having the barest idea of what you look like my first thought was 'Zodi must look really good in that'
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Troll in the Playground

Uhh....

Sorry, despite having the barest idea of what you look like my first thought was 'Zodi must look really good in that'
    Well, duh. Obviously you'd think that. Anyone looks good in a skirt.

28. - Top - End - #778

Thanks guys, looks like it hasn't hit the news so I'm guessing he was alright in the end. Still, spent most of last night in a state of shock.

Uhh....

My man, you don't... survive, being struck by a train. The reason why they're likely not talking about it yet is because they need to handle that carefully.

And thanks, it's appreciated. My avatar/personal image is what I look like, if curious. It's the me on my video's and stuff. Can repost the art if curious.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Troll in the Playground

My avatar/personal image is what I look like, if curious.
    Avatar resemblance club represent.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2019-09-01 at 01:36 AM.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ettin in the Playground

There is a character in Terry Pratchett's Discworld named "Magrat" who has a daughter named something along the lines of "Margaret-and-be-sure-to-spell-it-correctly-unlike-the-midwife-my-mother-hired"
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.