New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1190-1192 - The Multi-Strip Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    "if the fiends were to be believed" isn't generally a strategy with high odds of success, fiends being fiends. Don't forget, we saw V imagining his old master killing the ABD with a single spell while reading a book and looking in the other direction--which implies a level of power I'm not sure exists anywhere in Stickworld; even V, with all the splices in place, took a few rounds (including a Time Stop) to destroy her. So, while trance-deprived V may have believed in his desperation that his old master was simply that powerful, I'm not convinced that's actually the case.
    I'm like 99% sure that part was hyperbole.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    As far as I can tell, Rich has never presented them as omniscient.
    Yes, I was intentionally starting from an obvious point to make my argument more credible.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I'm like 99% sure that part was hyperbole.
    Here, have an extra percent point.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Hyperbole on the part of the illustration; it's a callback joke to the panel in #630 where he kills Qarr without looking. The fiends never actually made any claims other than that he could "intercede."
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Here, have an extra percent point.
    So even the archfiends never actually said or even implied that, then, and that panel was just a joke.

Pretty sure the "one-shots Qarr" panel wasn't, though.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Like I'm gonna get iced to advance *your* dumb story."

Man, I love how the Giant just slips in these little subversions of stuff like Fridging, and then just keeps going with the story like it's no big deal.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

I just noticed something in 1191, that I don't think I saw anyone talking about
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    V needs to be conserving spells if we're going to take the fight to Xykon today.
    (emphasis mine)
    which sounds to me quite a lot like the fight with Xykon is supposed to be on this comic day, which I feel like means we're gonna have a few plot turns that derail this.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

7. - Top - End - #157
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I just noticed something in 1191, that I don't think I saw anyone talking about

(emphasis mine)
    which sounds to me quite a lot like the fight with Xykon is supposed to be on this comic day, which I feel like means we're gonna have a few plot turns that derail this.
    Well, if nothing else, the absence of O-Chul and Lien is going to raise some eyebrows. And that's assuming that whoever captured them doesn't have something in store for the Order (since they know they're coming).

8. - Top - End - #158
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

In the Sending they sent to Lien in #1189 V said their arrival was expected "in two days"--is there any evidence a couple of days have passed since then? I got the impression this was all next day at best.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

In the Sending they sent to Lien in #1189 V said their arrival was expected "in two days"--is there any evidence a couple of days have passed since then? I got the impression this was all next day at best.
    Belkar spent two evenings listening to Elan according to Roy, meaning this is the day after the day where V told Lien they’d reach them in two days’ time. It checks out.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Belkar spent two evenings listening to Elan according to Roy, meaning this is the day after the day where V told Lien they’d reach them in two days’ time. It checks out.
    Plus, they've gotta be pretty damn close if scouting with V's Fly spell is viable. Assuming the Class & Level Geekery Thread is correct that V is casting as a 17th level Wizard (Level 16 +1 for Blackwing's Bauble), Invisibility and Fly only last 17 minutes apiece.

Since Roy says adding Belkar would've only meant one more Fly-Invisibility combo, that must mean that they're close enough for V and Haley to get there and back within that 17 minutes. Assuming they spend 8 minutes flying each way (giving themselves only about a minute to actually scout) that'd put them about 0.28 miles away (about 0.45 km, for our metric-using friends). So depending on exactly what Roy decided was an acceptable balance between "enough time to scout properly" and "enough distance to avoid attracting attention," I'd guess they're somewhere around a quarter or a fifth of a mile away (about 0.3-0.4 km).

And yes, I'm quite certain I just put way more thought into the exact distance than Rich did.

EDIT: Whoops, my math was off! See replies below.
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2020-03-13 at 04:24 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Assuming the Class & Level Geekery Thread is correct that V is casting as a 17th level Wizard (Level 16 +1 for Blackwing's Bauble), Invisibility and Fly only last 17 minutes apiece.
    He explicitly said that his Forcecage back when the vampire spawn attacked them in Firmament would last 34 hours, which means he was definitely casting as a 17th level wizard back then. He could have gained a level or two during the subsequent fight, but wouldn't make much difference either way if he did.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Plus, they've gotta be pretty damn close if scouting with V's Fly spell is viable. Assuming the Class & Level Geekery Thread is correct that V is casting as a 17th level Wizard (Level 16 +1 for Blackwing's Bauble), Invisibility and Fly only last 17 minutes apiece.

Since Roy says adding Belkar would've only meant one more Fly-Invisibility combo, that must mean that they're close enough for V and Haley to get there and back within that 17 minutes. Assuming they spend 8 minutes flying each way (giving themselves only about a minute to actually scout) that'd put them about 0.28 miles away (about 0.45 km, for our metric-using friends). So depending on exactly what Roy decided was an acceptable balance between "enough time to scout properly" and "enough distance to avoid attracting attention," I'd guess they're somewhere around a quarter or a fifth of a mile away (about 0.3-0.4 km).

And yes, I'm quite certain I just put way more thought into the exact distance than Rich did.
    Assuming I'm reading the rules right, you can move at double speed while using the Fly spell as a full-round action. That means that V and Haley could move at 120 feet per round, or 1,200 feet per minute. Thus, they could move about 9,600 feet in eight minutes. So by my calculations, The Mechane could be close to two miles away.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Assuming I'm reading the rules right, you can move at double speed while using the Fly spell as a full-round action. That means that V and Haley could move at 120 feet per round, or 1,200 feet per minute. Thus, they could move about 9,600 feet in eight minutes. So by my calculations, The Mechane could be close to two miles away.
    Derp, wrong multiplier in there somewhere (I know I got to 120 ft per round, but not sure exactly where I went wrong from there).
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2020-03-13 at 04:25 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

He explicitly said that his Forcecage back when the vampire spawn attacked them in Firmament would last 34 hours, which means he was definitely casting as a 17th level wizard back then. He could have gained a level or two during the subsequent fight, but wouldn't make much difference either way if he did.
    V has an orange prism ioun stone transmogrified into a bracelet for Blackwing.

Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Bugbear in the Playground

V has an orange prism ioun stone transmogrified into a bracelet for Blackwing.
    That was before the force cage was cast, the ioun bracelet is why V has an effective caster level of 17 and not 16.
    Last edited by Schroeswald; 2020-03-13 at 08:16 PM.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

16. - Top - End - #166

That was before the force cage was cast, the ioun bracelet is why V has an effective caster level of 17 and not 16.
    I believe that's what Danny was saying.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

I believe that's what Danny was saying.
    Yup. Also, don’t call me Danny, it feels weird for some reason.

Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #168

Yup. Also, don’t call me Danny, it feels weird for some reason.
    Sorry, I'll occasionally nickname forumites when I don't feel like typing out their whole username. Thanks for letting me know you're not a fan, I'll do my best to keep that in mind going forward.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-03-13 at 10:44 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Halfling in the Playground

Since the duration of the spells was mentioned, I feel I should point out V probably cast Overland Flight rather than just Fly, which has a duration of 1 hour per caster level. Its speed is a mere 40 feet per round rather than 60, but the much greater duration makes that more or less moot.

Also, they seem to be progressing at a rate of 1 level per book since Book 2, so I'm willing to bet they're 17th level at this point. Caster Level 18 with Blackwing's bracelet.

Even with Invisibility only lasting 17 or 18 minutes (34 or 36, if V used a higher slot to Extend it--which, hey, they have that Ring of Wizardry, they gots the slots) the Mechane doesn't necessarily need to be THAT close. V only needs to cast the Invisibility spells when there's an actual risk of them being spotted, so they'd probably hold off until the bugbear village is actually within sight, then use most of the 17-36 minutes for thorough scouting.
    Spoiler: Sig Art
    Show

Unnamed OOTS Ripoff Inspired Work coming to whatever medium is most convenient at the time I get off my lazy ass and make it