New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default I Am My Own Master! (PrC, PEACH)

Rogue Djinn

"Oh, I'm sorry! Did you think it was as simple as rubbing a lamp or trapping me in a cage? Well, let me tell you something, mortal! The only one whose wishes will be granted today is me!"

The Rogue Djinn is a powerful noble djinn who has grown tired of constantly granting the inane desires of others whenever he is captured while visiting the Material Plane. By signing a contract with the the Lords of the Nine, his wish-granting powers twist themselves into something much darker.

By signing this pact, the rogue djinn agrees to take all 10 levels of this class as soon as possible. He may not return to taking racial HD or multiclass until he has reached the end of this class. (The ritual physically prevents him from escaping it)

Prerequisites: To become a rogue djinn, you must meet the following prerequisites.

Race: Genie with at least 10 Outsider Racial HD
    Alignment: Must be Lawful Evil
    Special: Must be able to cast wish as a spell-like ability at least once per day, must have made peaceful contact with a devil and performed a special ritual that forcibly changes your home plane to the Nine Hells.

HD: d8
    Class Skills: The rogue djinn's class skills are Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Intimidate, Knowledge (The Planes), Listen, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot
    Skill Points: 8+Int per level

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Pledge to the Nine

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |You'll Have to Kill Me

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Twisted Wish 1/day

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Form of the Nine Hells

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Should Have Read the Fine Print

6th|
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Strength of Hell, Twisted Wish 2/day

7th|
    +7
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Your Greatest Desires...

8th|
    +8
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Improved Form of the Nine Hells

9th|
    +9
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Twisted Wish 3/day

10th|
    +10
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |As You Wish, Master
    [/table]

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The rogue djinn gains no proficiency with weapons or armor.

Pledge to the Nine (Ex, Su, Sp): The djinn has made a promise to the Lords of the Nine Hells in exchange for power. His home plane becomes the Nine Hells, and he is able to use his plane shift racial spell-like ability, if he has one, to go to the Nine Hells without fail. Additionally, the djinn gains the See in Darkness ability of the devils, as well as the Lawful and Evil subtypes. (He retains all other subtypes).

Finally, the djinn gains the ability to attempt to summon a single horned, bearded or ice devil that will appear beside him and obey his commands (if he gives none, it will instead attempt to defend his life first and foremost, and if his life is not in immediate danger, attack his enemies instead). The devil that is summoned is chosen at random, and the djinn only has a 10% success rate per class level of successfully using the ability. It is the equivalent of a conjuration (calling) effect with a spell level equal to one-half the djinn's HD, and the djinn may only use it once per day as a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity.

You'll Have to Kill Me (Ex): The rogue djinn has had enough of being captured, tortured, and threatened. At 2nd level, the rogue djinn permanently loses its ability to cast wish as a spell-like ability, and it becomes relatively obvious. The change is so apparent that it can be noticed with a DC 15 Knowledge (The Planes) check, or if the djinn tells the truth to someone, they will believe him as long as they pass a DC 15 Sense Motive check. Most adventurers will simply allow a rogue djinn to walk away unharmed when they realize he is unable to grant them their wish (unless they are on a crusade to vanquish all evil or the rogue djinn has wronged them in some way, blah blah. But the djinn is safe from being hunted specifically because of his power)

Twisted Wish (Sp): The rogue djinn may not be able to grant mortals their heart's desires anymore, but why should he let all that phenomenal cosmic power go to waste? Starting at level 3, the rogue djinn gains the ability to cast wish once per day, allowing him to grant his own heart's desire. The rogue djinn may not use this wish for any selfless purposes unless they further his pact with the Nine, and also may not grant himself any inherent bonuses to his ability scores.

The rogue djinn gains an additional daily use of Twisted Wish at 6th and 9th level. The first time a rogue djinn uses his Twisted Wish ability each day, it is free. The second time he uses it in one day, he must pay 2500 XP, and the third time he uses it in one day, he must pay the full 5000 XP. No matter which daily use he is using, the rogue djinn must pay the additional XP costs for duplicating XP component spells and crafting magic items as if he were a wizard casting the spell.

Form of the Nine Hells (Sp): While a rogue djinn is already distinguishable from his former self, he has new allegiances, and sometimes it's better to blend in with your friends than stand out as a traitor to your own kind. Starting at 4th level, a rogue djinn gains the ability to cast the polymorph spell as a spell-like ability 3 times per day, with a caster level equal to his HD. The rogue djinn may only assume the form of an outsider who is native to the Nine Hells.

Should Have Read The Fine Print (Sp): Starting at level 5, a rogue djinn can offer his services to mortals once more. After a fashion. Once per week, the rogue djinn can use one of his twisted wishes to provide the normal benefits of a wish to a mortal who does not realize its true nature.

This use of the spell-like ability works like normal, but for a few exceptions. If the ability provides a magic item, it carries a curse appropriate to the item and level (as bestow curse or a separate curse enchantment). If the ability mimics a spell, the rogue djinn can change the target of the spell at his leisure. Finally, if all else fails the rogue djinn can remove a single word from the wish to better suit his purposes (ie. the mortal's imminent demise or damnation)

Strength of Hell (Ex): Even though the rogue djinn has turned his back on the Plane of Fire, he is still a genie deep down. When the rogue djinn reaches 6th level, he advances a Size category, as an efreet who has reached 16 HD. He receives the normal benefits and penalties for an increase in Size as normal.

Your Greatest Desires...(Su): A 7th level rogue djinn is able to tempt mortals in ways that a devil would kill for. As a standard action, a rogue djinn may target one creature within 60 feet. That creature is trapped inside of an illusion, an illusion that extends in all directions in a 50' radius surrounding the creature, and shows the creature all of its hearts' deepest wishes, even the ones the creature would never admit or even never really understood that it wanted. This is a mind-affecting supernatural ability, not a true illusion, and cannot be ignored by a creature who normally ignores illusions or possesses true seeing or some other ability. The rogue djinn receives a +8 circumstance bonus to all Diplomacy and Bluff checks made against a creature who is trapped inside this illusion, as long as those checks are related to enticing it to accept the djinn's power to grant wishes.

The illusion is automatically disbelieved if interacted with, and there is no saving throw, attack roll, spell resistance, or any other defense allowed against the creation of this illusion (except for being immune to mind-affecting abilities). The duration of this illusion is one minute. The illusion stays centered on the creature that it was created around for that duration, so even if the creature tries to leave the area, the illusion moves with it.

Improved Form of the Nine Hells (Su): By 8th level, a rogue djinn has been around devils, studied them, and learned of their powers. When an 8th level rogue djinn uses one of his daily polymorph spell-like abilities, he may choose to cast shapechange instead, with a caster level equal to his HD. He may only assume forms of outsiders native to the Nine Hells.

As You Wish, Master (Ex): The rogue djinn has given himself over to the Nine Hells completely by 10th level, and his power finally becomes all-encompassing. The rogue djinn loses the effects of the You'll Have to Kill Me class feature, and gains his ability to grant wishes again. However, now, whenever the rogue djinn grants a wish to a mortal, that mortal signs his soul over to Asmodeus, as if he was agreeing to a Pact (See the Fiend Codex II). The rogue djinn need not inform the mortal or get his permission, the mortal's greed is so pure that the djinn is able to sign souls over for the mortal.

This was the rogue djinn's original pledge, when he signed the deal with the Lords of the Nine Hells. He must do everything in his power to capture at least 100 souls per year. Failing to do so causes him to lose his extraordinary and supernatural abilities for 30 days, and then the rogue djinn is given 30 days to make up the difference. If he fails to do so, he surrenders his soul as punishment and the Lords of the Nine transform him into an imp permanently.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2012-05-19 at 12:26 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: I Am My Own Master! (3.5 PrC, PEACH)

For style points, grant 8 skill points per level, to match the amount granted by outsider hit dice. Also, when writing up base attack bonus for a prestige class, don't display iteratives, since you don't know how much base attack a character will have before entering the class.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2011-07-27 at 01:38 AM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    For style points, grant 8 skill points per level, to match the amount granted by outsider hit dice. Also, when writing up base attack bonus for a prestige class, don't display iteratives, since you don't know how much base attack a character will have before entering the class.
    Oh, did I say 6? Whoops. Fixing that now. And as for the Iterative BAB, I used a pre-made table...

Edit: Also, nothing to say about the class itself?
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-07-27 at 01:42 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Honestly, I love it. It's quirky, interesting, includes Disney quotes, and just seems like such a fun curve-ball to throw at a group. I don't really see much that needs fixing, since it seems pretty self-explanatory.
    Domriso's Homebrew Compendium - A collection of all of my homebrew, throwing in my own design philosophy and my conceptions for possible new things.

Geomancy, Runic Magic, probably more at a later date:
    Come see my Homebrew!

Ever heard of the Ultimate Classes? They're pretty sweet. Check them out here.

I've had an interview over at Tellest! You should go see!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is the best thing I've seen in days, and made me smile. Good work!

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Kellus View Post
    This is the best thing I've seen in days, and made me smile. Good work!
    Thanks Kellus! And you too Domriso. You guys always seem to show up when I post something new, and I'm grateful. Even if you don't have any advice, your comments are appreciated.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Well, it's not that surprising. Your stuff is usually really good, either mechanically or fluff-wise, but usually both. It's always a pleasure to view.

...I'm just not the greatest on balance, because of how skewed my view of D&D is. I don't even try most of the time, because I only can compare it to my own games, which use enough homebrew rules to be considered a different system.
    Domriso's Homebrew Compendium - A collection of all of my homebrew, throwing in my own design philosophy and my conceptions for possible new things.

Geomancy, Runic Magic, probably more at a later date:
    Come see my Homebrew!

Ever heard of the Ultimate Classes? They're pretty sweet. Check them out here.

I've had an interview over at Tellest! You should go see!

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Domriso View Post
    Well, it's not that surprising. Your stuff is usually really good, either mechanically or fluff-wise, but usually both. It's always a pleasure to view.

...I'm just not the greatest on balance, because of how skewed my view of D&D is. I don't even try most of the time, because I only can compare it to my own games, which use enough homebrew rules to be considered a different system.
    Hey come on, didn't you read my other post? It's enough that you said something! And thanks for the compliment. My homebrew usually comes from simply what I feel like seeing in the game, instead of what I think needs to exist mechanically, which is why I have fluff ready. (This time, it was inspired by a random video I saw that had Jafar in it)

9. - Top - End - #9

Should Have Read The Fine Print (Sp): Starting at level x, a rogue djinn can offer his services to mortals once more. After a fashion. Once per week, the rogue djinn can use one of his twisted wishes to provide the normal benefits of a wish to a mortal who does not realize its true nature.

This use of the spell-like ability works like normal, but for a few exceptions. If the ability provides a magic item, it carries a curse appropriate to the item and level (as bestow curse or a separate curse enchantment). If the ability mimics a spell, the rogue djinn can change the target of the spell at his leisure. Finally, if all else fails the rogue djinn can remove a single word from the wish to better suit his purposes (ie. the mortal's imminent demise or damnation).
    Last edited by Kellus; 2011-07-27 at 02:33 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Should Have Read The Fine Print (Sp): Starting at level x, a rogue djinn can offer his services to mortals once more. After a fashion. Once per week, the rogue djinn can use one of his twisted wishes to provide the normal benefits of a wish to a mortal who does not realize its true nature.

This use of the spell-like ability works like normal, but for a few exceptions. If the ability provides a magic item, it carries a curse appropriate to the item and level (as bestow curse or a separate curse enchantment). If the ability mimics a spell, the rogue djinn can change the target of the spell at his leisure. Finally, if all else fails the rogue djinn can remove a single word from the wish to better suit his purposes (ie. the mortal's imminent demise or damnation).
    Wow, that's just so perfect. Thanks Kellus, I'm adding it right now.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-07-27 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Decided my post was rude. Sorry if you already saw it Kellus

11. - Top - End - #11

The only thing I could think of to make it better was some way to pervert the wish. Which, let's face it, most DMs do anyway. This just gives them an excuse.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know if you noticed, but the 10th level ability labels it as "unless you're brain dead - never ever take this level".
    Last edited by nonsi; 2011-07-27 at 09:41 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by nonsi View Post
    I don't know if you noticed, but the 10th level ability labels it as "unless you're brain dead - never ever take this level".
    By signing the Pact, the Rogue Djinn has no choice but to take every level of this class as soon as possible.

Edit: Didn't really think it was necessary since this is a Monster PrC, but I went ahead and explained that the rogue djinn is forced to take every level of this class in the OP.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-07-27 at 12:00 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

This is a very interesting NPC class or a fantastic fluff-wise PC class. Just never ever ever let this slip in the hands of munchkins.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    Didn't really think it was necessary since this is a Monster PrC.
    No such thing. PC's have taken levels in everything, legitimate or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

16. - Top - End - #16

Fair enough. I just thought it would be a fun Monster class for a DM to play, I didn't really make it for the rare time that a player would choose to play an efreet (and would be allowed to)

17. - Top - End - #17

You don't have to play an efreet to cheese your way into this class, much like players that are hoping to find a loophole to get into beholder mage don't actually play beholders. Always assume players will find a way to use the material.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

You don't have to play an efreet to cheese your way into this class, much like players that are hoping to find a loophole to get into beholder mage don't actually play beholders. Always assume players will find a way to use the material.
    Add a clause that says you have to have been a Efreet for a majority of your life or something.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by wiimanclassic View Post
    Add a clause that says you have to have been a Efreet for a majority of your life or something.
    I added that you must have 10 Outsider Racial HD

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wiimanclassic View Post
    It'd be "have been a genie for a majority of your life"; this could be taken by a Noble Djinn who somehow became LE as well.

Or maybe just say that you have to be a genie for purposes of LA and ECL; then getting around it will defeat the whole point.

21. - Top - End - #21

Or you could just say that it is an NPC only class and be done with it.
    Last edited by eftexar; 2011-07-27 at 07:07 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Hey now, I'm not going that far. If someone wants to play a Genie and deals with the 10 Racial HD, they deserve to be rewarded for that.

23. - Top - End - #23

Three dead levels? What was I thinking? Added Form of the Nine Hells, Your Greatest Desires..., and Improved Form of the Nine Hells to complete the class.

24. - Top - End - #24

Problem with Monster Classes, feat options are so limited for monsters. So here are some feats written specially for the Rogue Djinn!

I Know What You Really Want...
    Prerequisites: Cha 12, Should Have Read the Fine Print class feature
    Benefit: You know how to sway your targets to tempt them. You constantly detect thoughts, as the spell, though you may only read one creature's thoughts at a time. A rogue djinn typically uses this ability to read a person's emotions and find what kinds of tactics will work best to get them to make a deal. This is a supernatural, mind-affecting ability. The first time you use this ability on a creature each day, it gets a Will save to resist (DC 12+your Cha mod). Success renders the creature immune to your detect thoughts for 24 hours.

Wishing For More Wishes
    Actually, you can wish for more wishes. We tell everyone you can't, but you really can!
    How deceitful! I like that in a genie!

Prerequisites: Twisted Wish class feature
    Benefit: If you go 24 hours without using your Twisted Wish class feature, you gain an additional use of your Twisted Wish class feature during the next day. This ability may stack with itself once, granting you up to 3 uses of your Twisted Wish class feature per day. If you have additional uses per day from your rogue djinn class, they stack (this can mean you have up to 5 uses of your Twisted Wish per day, with the first three not having an inherent XP cost).

I Can't Make Her Love You, But...
    Prerequisites: Cha 18, Should Have Read the Fine Print class feature
    Benefit: If a mortal creature wishes for you to have another creature fall in love with that creature, you may elect to grant that wish though it is outside your power to do so. Instead of actually causing the target to fall in love with the pact-maker, you trap the pact-maker in a vivid illusion which grants his or her heart's desires completely. This illusion is powered by the victim's mind and so is entirely perfect and cannot be disbelieved. Because the victim is actually unconscious and dreaming at this time, everything he or she interacts with inside of the illusion is completely real to him or her and does not allow any further saving throws. At the initial cast time, the target makes a Will save (DC 18+your Charisma modifier) to resist. The creature takes a -4 penalty to this saving throw because it actually desires the outcome of the spell. This is a mind-affecting (compulsion) enchantment/illusion (phantasm) spell-like ability that otherwise functions as the binding spell (the Slumber aspect), with a caster level equal to your total Hit Dice. At the end of the spell's duration, the creature dies (no saving throw) and its soul is sent to Hell.