New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Community Based Monster Classes: Come in and help out!

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Please spoiler screen stretching image.

@Magic: Since this seems to be the new home of the project, I'll put the redone Lamassu here (I've been meaning to do it, really).

How long are you going to wait for permission before adding old monsters. I can only assume since people made them and put them up for people to use, unless you get a specific request to not use them then it'll be ok.
    It depends on what everyone else thinks, but I'm thinking that by the end of the week, anyone who has not given express refusal for their monsters to be added will have them added, unless they ask to have them removed. A week should be a good timeframe for people who were looking to make sure their monsters aren't a part to specify that.

Looking forward to seeing Lammasu.

On a quick glance, Umber Hulk looks really fun, and well done. I'll have to read it more thoroughly later, but... nice work! Do make sure to spoiler the image though, or resize it and repost it somewhere.

EDIT: Upon several careful look-throughs, I can't see anything wrong with the Death Knight, so I'll nominate it.
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-12-08 at 05:43 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

Many thanks to Qwernt for my amazing mind flayer avatar!

2. - Top - End - #152

Yellow Musk Creeper
    Spoiler
    Show

Hit Dice: d6
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Class Features

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Rooted Body, Vines, Musk Puff, +1 Cha, +1 Con

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Mind Eater, Flowering, +1 Cha

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Growth, Amber Life, +1 Con

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Yellow Musk Zombies, Flowering, +1 Cha
    [/table]
    Skills Points at 1st Level: (4+Intelligence Modifier) x 4
    Skills Points at Each Level: (4+Intelligence Modifier)
    Class Skills: The Yellow Musk Creeper's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Disguise (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis).

Proficiencies: The Yellow Musk Creeper gains proficiency with its natural attacks.

Rooted Body: At 1st level, the Yellow Musk Creeper loses all other racial modifiers and gains the Plant type, with all of its benefits and weaknesses. It is medium sized. It has a base movement speed of 15 ft. and two primary natural Vine Whips dealing 1d6 + Str modifier damage. It gains another Vine Whip attack for every 3 HD it has. The Creeper gains a natural armor bonus to AC equal to its constitution modifier. It may not wear armor and weapons must be specially made for it, doubling the base cost of the weapon. It has the ability to perform fine manipulation, but may not speak.

Vines: As a creeping plant, you are able ensnare those who foolishly walk into your embrace, with no danger to you. You take no penalty for having an enemy in your space, or for being in the midst of a grapple.

Musk Puff(ex): A Yellow Musk Creeper may spray heady spores with an intoxicating scent from its flowers. You may target one creature as a standard action by using this ability. This is a ranged touch attack, for which you may use your full base attack bonus. The range of this ability is 10 ft. per HD, and the target must make a fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha Modifier) or fall under the influence of the spores, and desire to move closer to the source of the scent-- you. If 1d6 per 3 HD rounds pass and they have not entered your space, this effect wears off. Otherwise, they can take no action other than to try to enter your space. If they succeed in entering your space, they will drop everything in hand and stand dazed, even unresisting of the creepers attacks. The target will try as hard as they can to take the most direct route necessary to the Creeper. If attacked by allies, they will attempt to avoid the allies and peacefully reach the creeper, however, if the ally blocks their progress, they will attack the ally back while they move to the Creeper. This is a mind-affecting compulsion. Every 2 rounds, the target may make another save to try and break free of the compulsion. If the Yellow Musk Creeper puffs a target who is already entranced, the attack automatically hits, and the target is denied the right to their next save.

At 8 HD this becomes a move action, at 16 HD it becomes a swift action.

Ability Score Bonuses: The Yellow Musk Creeper gains +1 Charisma at levels 1, 2, and 4. It also gains +1 Constitution at levels 1 and 3, for a total of +3 Cha and +2 Con.

Mind Eater(ex): At level 2, the Yellow Musk Creeper gains the ability to extend thousands of razor sharp tendrils which pierce into the skull of enemies and quickly suck out their grey matter. As a free action, a Yellow Musk Creeper may, once per round, deal 1d4 intelligence damage to any or all helpless or unresisting creatures inside its space. After it has started dealing intelligence damage to a creature, the tendrils have latched onto the edges of the creature's skull, and the only way to stop the intelligence drain from happening in each subsequent turn is to kill the Yellow Musk Creeper, kill the victim, or convince the Yellow Musk Creeper to let go. The intelligence damage increases by 1d4 for every 6 HD the Yellow Musk Creeper has. If the victim is reduced to 0 intelligence, they die. The Creeper may also use this attack on any creature who it has successfully grappled this round.

Flowering: The Yellow Musk Creeper is a plant, and thus it is constantly growing, changing into something more powerful. At levels 2 and 4, and once more for every 4 HD they have beyond their first 4, they may select one of the abilities from the list below. Unless otherwise noted, an ability may be taken more than once.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Musk Bomb: Your Musk Puff explodes against its target, billowing out to fill the lungs of nearby foes. When you use it, it also effects foes within 5 ft of your initial target. If you take this ability more than once, the range of the puff increases by 5 ft. each time.

Spore Sniping: The range of your Musk Puff attack increases by 5 ft. per HD. You may take this multiple times, each time increasing the range by 5 ft. per HD.

Focused Blossom: You may make one additional Musk Puff attack with each use of that ability, up to as many attacks as your base attack bonus allows. Each attack after the first is at your next lower attack bonus. You may continue to choose this ability more times than your BaB would allow, but each of these attacks uses your lowest Base Attack Bonus.

Creeper: Your movement speed increases by 5 ft. and you gain +2 on Move Silently checks.

Empowered Zombies: All of your Musk Zombies gain +1 Strength, and +2 Constitution. You may choose when you gain this ability between granting them +1 Dexterity, +1 on Attack Rolls, or +1 Natural Armor. (See Yellow Musk Zombies below for information on these Zombies.)

Greenery Shield: Your regeneration is no longer overcome by either fire or acid, your choice. You may not take this multiple times. (See Amber Life below for information on this regeneration.)

Growth: At level 3, the Yellow Musk Creeper grows to Large size. It continues to grow as follows:
    • 9 HD: Huge size
    • 15 HD: Gargantuan size
    • 21 HD: Colossal size
    • 27 HD: Colossal+ size

Each time it grows an actual size category, its speed increases by 5 feet.

Amber Life(su): The Yellow Musk Creeper is a thing of majesty-- it will continue to shred the minds of its foes until the end of time. Thus, at 3rd level, it becomes nigh impossible to kill. The Yellow Musk Creeper gains Regeneration equal to half its HD, which is overcome by fire and acid.

Yellow Musk Zombies(ex): From now on, when a creature is reduced to 0 intelligence by the Yellow Musk Creeper's Mind Eater ability, instead of dying, they become mindless slaves of the Creeper. This is an extraordinary effect and may not be removed by any means. The Creeper plants a seed inside the victim, who gains the Yellow Musk Zombie template. These Yellow Musk Zombies do not expire after two months. They follow the telepathic orders of the Yellow Musk Creeper unquestioningly, and any shred of the person they once used to be is now gone. A single Yellow Musk Creeper may control up to 3 HD of Yellow Musk Zombies for each of its HD. No Yellow Musk Zombie may have an individual HD greater than the Creeper's HD - 2. You may upgrade a number of Musk Zombies with HD equal your HD to Greater Musk Zombies. Your Greater Musk Zombies must be at least two month old Lesser Musk Zombies.
    Lesser Musk Zombies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Type: Changes to plant, gaining all benefits and penalties of the type.
    Hit Dice: Current and future change to d8.
    Armor Class: Natural Armor increases by +2
    Special Qualities:
    Creeper Loyalty(ex): Yellow Musk Zombies always act to protect and nurture the Yellow Musk Creeper that created them. They can range no farther than 100 feet from their progenitor for the first two months of their existence. Thereafter, they may wander freely, or the creeper can command them.
    Deadened Mind(ex): A Yellow Musk Zombie recalls nothing of its previous life, and it exists only to serve its parent plant. A yellow musk Zombie loses all class abilities, skill ranks and feats. It loses its spell-like abilities and supernatural abilities. In addition, it cannot use magic devices but can wield weapons and armor. It also loses any innate spellcasting ability.
    Plant Traits(ex): A Yellow Musk Zombie is immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and polymorphing. It is not subject to critical hits or mind-affecting effects. The creature also has low-light vision.
    Seeded(ex): If a Yellow Musk Zombie dies for any reason, the growing seed inside its head takes root and grows into a Yellow Musk Creeper within 1 hour. The Creeper is not under the control of the original Creeper.
    Abilities: Same as the base creature, except the Yellow Musk Zombie has an Intelligence of 2, Dexterity changes to 10, and Wisdom changes to 8.

Curing a Yellow Musk Zombie: A Yellow Musk Zombie's patron plant must be killed before the zombie can be cured of its affliction. Thereafter, a cleric of at least 12th level must cast regenerate or heal upon the character before the implanted seed germinates.

Greater Musk Zombies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greater Yellow Musk Zombies have an intelligence of 3, and a Dexterity of 12. It regains any spell-like abilities which duplicate spells of a level of up 1/2 its HD - 2. It regains the ability to use any 1 magic item. Finally, it regains its skills.

Comments/Changelog:
    Spoiler
    Show

Comments
    From Fiend Folio
    So, I think I've gotten better. I'm pretty proud of this class. The Yellow Musk Creeper is a bizarre plant that creeps along, drugging people and then eating their brains and turning them into zombies. But it's pretty freaking cool, in my opinion. Enjoy!

Changelog
    12/8/2010: You now gain a speed increase when you grow.
    Posted Yellow Musk Zombie copy.
    12/13/2010: Changed ability bonus back to charisma.
    Hit Dice changed to d6 from d8.
    Photosynthesis removed, replaced with vines.
    Musk Puff is now a ray.
    Focused Blossom and many flowering abilities have been cut in power.
    Less Yellow Musk Zombie control, and Yellow Musk Zombies lose spell-like and supernatural. Added Greater Musk Zombies.
    Mind Eater now works on grapple victims.
    Musk Puff victims get more saves.

Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-12-13 at 01:52 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

You don't specify a limit of yellow musk zombies you can have which seems too powerful for a 3rd level ability.

A base movement speed of 10 doesn't seem that great. pretty much any enemy you come across can outrun you.

you also mention a different monster in the skills section.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-12-08 at 06:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    You don't specify a limit of yellow musk zombies you can have which seems too powerful for a 3rd level ability.

A base movement speed of 10 doesn't seem that great. pretty much any enemy you come across can outrun you.

you also mention a different monster in the skills section.
    Wah, thank you for pointing out those mistakes! I meant it to be 4 HD per each of your HD. And yes, those are the Hagunemnon's class skills. Um... sneak preview?

10 feet is rather slow, but it's a plant... should I bump it up to 15 or 20?
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magicyop View Post
    10 feet is rather slow, but it's a plant... should I bump it up to 15 or 20?
    I think 20.

Also, the Save DCs of abilities should be mentioned in the monsters. I know the rule is "If not stated, assume 10+HD+Cha mod" but I don't like making assumptions.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-12-08 at 06:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say give it a speed based on size. 10ft plus 10ft per Growth (not including Powerful Build)
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

7. - Top - End - #157

I think 20.

Also, the Save DCs of abilities should be mentioned in the monsters. I know the rule is "If not stated, assume 10+HD+Cha mod" but I don't like making assumptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    I'd say give it a speed based on size. 10ft plus 10ft per Growth (not including Powerful Build)
    I like that idea. 10 ft is almost unplayable though, so I'll bump it up to 15 ft. and give a 5 ft. bonus for each size category.

Also, stated the save DC of it's Musk Puff ability.
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-12-08 at 06:37 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Cool class.

Yellow Musk Creeper
    Spoiler
    Show

Hit Dice: d8

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Rooted Body, Photosynthesis, Musk Puff, +1 Cha, +1 Con

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Mind Eater, Flowering, +1 Cha

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Growth, Amber Life, +1 Con

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Yellow Musk Zombies, Flowering, +1 Cha

[/table]
    Skills Points at 1st Level: (4+Intelligence Modifier) x 4
    Skills Points at Each Level: (4+Intelligence Modifier)
    Class Skills: The Hagunemnon's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis).
    This says 'Hagunemnon' and ah... jump, really? That might look a bit silly to be good at. Looks like a copying error?

Proficiencies: The Yellow Musk Creeper gains proficiency with its natural attacks.

Rooted Body: At 1st level, the Yellow Musk Creeper loses all other racial modifiers and gains the Plant type, with all of its benefits and weaknesses. It has a base movement speed of 10 ft. and two primary natural Vine Whips dealing 1d6 + Str modifier damage. It gains another Vine Whip attack for every 3 HD it has. The Creeper gains a natural armor bonus to AC equal to its constitution modifier.
    The poor movement will cause problems, but is quite flavorful, so good. To check: 2 attacks at 1st level, 3 at 3rd, 4 at 6th, etc.? How I'm reading it. What size is it?

Photosynthesis(ex): A Yellow Musk Creeper, like any plant, needs the sun to survive. Under its warm yellow light, the Creeper flourishes and grows at an alarming rate. You gain fast healing equal to 1/2 your HD when you are in an area of natural sunlight. (Magical light will not do, nor will light produced from flame or any other source. However, a spell which replicates natural sunlight, such as daylight, will activate this ability.)

If you have the Amber Life ability, then when you are in natural sunlight, you still gain the fast healing, and your regeneration doubles to be equivalent to your HD.
    How do fast healing and regeneration interact anyway? Heal HD + 1/2 HD?

Musk Puff(ex): A Yellow Musk Creeper may spray heady spores with an intoxicating scent from its flowers. You may target one creature as a standard action by using this ability. The range of this ability is 10 ft. per HD, and the target must make a fortitude save or fall under the influence of the spores, and desire to move closer to the source of the scent-- you. If 1d8 per 2 HD rounds pass and they have not entered your space, this effect wears off. Otherwise, they can take no action other than to try to enter your space, for which you take no penalty. If they succeed in entering your space, they will drop everything in hand and stand dazed, even unresisting of the creepers attacks. A target effected by this ability will even attack companions who try to stop them from entering the square of the Yellow Musk Creeper. This is a mind-affecting compulsion.

At 8 HD this becomes a move action, at 16 HD it becomes a swift action.

As an at-will ability, you've better have based the class around it warlock-style - and looks like you have. What is the Fortitude save based on; Constitution or Charisma? And it's 10+1/2HD+that, right? I like the Fortitude save mind-affecting effect. It's ... unusual.

Perhaps it should be 'will try to enter your space to the best of their ability'. Attacking is a curiously specific behavior, if certainly a possibility.

Also, perhaps phrase it as having a duration of 1d8/2HD rounds, though this isn't particularly important.

Ability Score Bonuses: The Yellow Musk Creeper gains +1 Charisma at levels 1, 2, and 4. It also gains +1 Constitution at levels 1 and 3, for a total of +3 Cha and +2 Con.
    Constitution makes sense. Where do you use Charisma? The only possibility I see is the save DC and uses per day of your Musk Puff ability, neither of which currently exist.

Mind Eater(ex): At level 2, the Yellow Musk Creeper gains the ability to extend thousands of razor sharp tendrils which pierce into the skull of enemies and quickly suck out their grey matter. As a free action, a Yellow Musk Creeper may, once per round, deal 1d4 intelligence damage to any or all helpless or unresisting creatures inside its space. After it has started dealing intelligence damage to a creature, the tendrils have latched onto the edges of the creature's skull, and the only way to stop the intelligence drain from happening in each subsequent turn is to kill the Yellow Musk Creeper, kill the victim, or convince the Yellow Musk Creeper to let go. The intelligence damage increases by 1d4 for every 6 HD the Yellow Musk Creeper has. If the victim is reduced to 0 intelligence, they die.

So... you can't sunder the tendrils, rip them out of his head with a heal check after incapacitating the creeper, snap the creature out of it long enough for them to planeshift either themselves or you, turn them undead (er, actually that would probably work) ... Are you completely sure about this?

Flowering: The Yellow Musk Creeper is a plant, and thus it is constantly growing, changing into something more powerful. At levels 2 and 4, and once more for every 4 HD they have beyond their first 4, they may select one of the abilities from the list below. Unless otherwise noted, an ability may be taken more than once.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Musk Bomb: Your Musk Puff explodes against its target, billowing out to fill the lungs of nearby foes. When you use it, it also effects foes within 5 ft of your initial target. If you take this ability more than once, the range of the puff increases by 5 ft. each time.

Spore Sniping: The range of your Musk Puff attack increases by 5 ft. per HD. You may take this multiple times, each time increasing the range by 5 ft. per HD.

Focused Blossom: You may make one additional Musk Puff attack with each use of that ability. None of your Musk Puff attacks in one round may target the same target. Each time you take this, you may Musk Puff one additional time.

Creeper: Your movement speed increases by 5 ft. and you gain +4 on Move Silently checks.
    Hurrah, a way to increase that movement speed!

Plant Strength: All of your Musk Zombies gain +2 Strength, and +4 Constitution. They also gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 bonus to natural armor.

Halo of Tendrils: Your brain consuming tendrils gain the ability to make their intelligence drain attacks against anyone within 5 ft. of you. However, unlike those for people in your space, these drain attacks deal only 1d4 intelligence damage and do not permanently latch into the skull of the target. You may not take this multiple times.

Greenery Shield: Your regeneration is no longer overcome by either fire or acid, your choice. You may not take this multiple times.

Growth: At level 3, the Yellow Musk Creeper grows to Large size. It continues to grow as follows:
    • 6 HD: Large size with Powerful Build
    • 9 HD: Huge size
    • 12 HD: Huge size with Powerful Build
    • 15 HD: Gargantuan size
    • 18 HD: Gargantuan size with Powerful Build
    • 21 HD: Colossal size
    • 24 HD: Colossal size with Powerful Build
    • 27 HD: Colossal+ size

Amber Life(su): The Yellow Musk Creeper is a thing of majesty-- it will continue to shred the minds of its foes until the end of time. Thus, at 3rd level, it becomes nigh impossible to kill. The Yellow Musk Creeper gains Regeneration equal to half its HD, which is overcome by fire and acid.

Yellow Musk Zombies(ex): From now on, when a creature is reduced to 0 intelligence by the Yellow Musk Creeper's Mind Eater ability, instead of dying, they become mindless slaves of the Creeper. This is an extraordinary effect and may not be removed by any means. The Creeper plants a seed inside the victim, who gains the Yellow Musk Zombie template. These Yellow Musk Zombies do not expire after any period of time. They follow the telepathic orders of the Yellow Musk Creeper unquestioningly, and any shred of the person they once used to be is now gone.

Okay, this needs explanation. Specifically, what the heck is a Yellow Musk Zombie? I've never seen this monster before, and I haven't got a clue.

Also, how many zombies may you control, and what happens if you exceed that number? I really would rather not unlimited zombies. Maybe twice your HD in HD of zombies, but again, I don't know the template.

Comments/Changelog:
    Spoiler
    Show

Comments
    From Fiend Folio
    So, I think I've gotten better. I'm pretty proud of this class. The Yellow Musk Creeper is a bizarre plant that creeps along, drugging people and then eating their brains and turning them into zombies. But it's pretty freaking cool, in my opinion. Enjoy!

Changelog
    Nope, none yet.

My comments in quote. Flowerlicious minion crafter. Your musk isn't going to be much use against a good variety of creatures (undead, constructs, fellow plants), but hopefully your minions will be. I like this thing, and must incorporate one into future campaigns somehow.

Edit: Looks like quicker people beat me to the obvious points.
    Last edited by Kajhera; 2010-12-08 at 06:42 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by Kajhera
    This says 'Hagunemnon' and ah... jump, really? That might look a bit silly to be good at. Looks like a copying error?
    Yup, it was. Already fixed.

The poor movement will cause problems, but is quite flavorful, so good. To check: 2 attacks at 1st level, 3 at 3rd, 4 at 6th, etc.? How I'm reading it. What size is it?
    Fixed movement speed. Forgot to add that it's medium. Yes, that is the correct number of attacks.

How do fast healing and regeneration interact anyway? Heal HD + 1/2 HD?
    Fast Healing heals you of Lethal Damage, Regeneration offers great protection and heals you of Nonlethal Damage. So when you have both, you heal Nonlethal Damage AND Lethal Damage. So essentially, if in sunlight, you heal almost all damage dealt at a rate of your HD per round, and you heal fire and acid damage at a rate of 1/2 your HD per round.

As an at-will ability, you've better have based the class around it warlock-style - and looks like you have. What is the Fortitude save based on; Constitution or Charisma? And it's 10+1/2HD+that, right? I like the Fortitude save mind-affecting effect. It's ... unusual.

Perhaps it should be 'will try to enter your space to the best of their ability'. Attacking is a curiously specific behavior, if certainly a possibility.

Also, perhaps phrase it as having a duration of 1d8/2HD rounds, though this isn't particularly important.
    Yeah, I fixed the missing save. The fortitude mind-affecting is because it's a physical, nonmagical effect that effects your body.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about attacking, if you could specify...? Would be great. Thanks very much.

I'll rephrase that to make it better, thank you.

Constitution makes sense. Where do you use Charisma? The only possibility I see is the save DC and uses per day of your Musk Puff ability, neither of which currently exist.
    Your Musk Puff Save DC, also, it just makes sense. Makes your flowers more entrancing, you know?

So... you can't sunder the tendrils, rip them out of his head with a heal check after incapacitating the creeper, snap the creature out of it long enough for them to planeshift either themselves or you, turn them undead (er, actually that would probably work) ... Are you completely sure about this?
    Maybe I'll add something about removing them reflexively when the Creeper is incapacitated.

Okay, this needs explanation. Specifically, what the heck is a Yellow Musk Zombie? I've never seen this monster before, and I haven't got a clue.

Also, how many zombies may you control, and what happens if you exceed that number? I really would rather not unlimited zombies. Maybe twice your HD in HD of zombies, but again, I don't know the template.
    Template in Fiend Folio. They're not really undead, they're plants. Maybe I should make a quickie monster class for it to go along with the Creeper? It doesn't give much in the way of bonuses. Basically all it does is turn you into a plant and make you slave to a Yellow Musk Creeper.

And thank you very much for critiquing, I'm glad it looks okay.
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-12-08 at 06:53 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Thanks for the Wendigo! And great job on everything I've seen so far!

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Template in Fiend Folio. They're not really undead, they're plants. Maybe I should make a quickie monster class for it to go along with the Creeper? It doesn't give much in the way of bonuses. Basically all it does is turn you into a plant and make you slave to a Yellow Musk Creeper.
    I think you should just say what it gives them. A large amount of groups might not have the fiend folio and therefore no way to check what the template does.

remember, try to keep the abilities things you can find within the SRD.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-12-08 at 06:58 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

You mention 'A target effected by this ability will even attack companions who try to stop them from entering the square of the Yellow Musk Creeper.' Just feel like this is a bit specific a behavior prescription, when there might be more efficient methods of getting to your space.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Fast Healing

A creature with fast healing has the extraordinary ability to regain hit points at an exceptional rate. Except for what is noted here, fast healing is like natural healing.

At the beginning of each of the creature’s turns, it heals a certain number of hit points (defined in its description).

Unlike regeneration, fast healing does not allow a creature to regrow or reattach lost body parts. Unless otherwise stated, it does not allow lost body parts to be reattached.

A creature that has taken both nonlethal and lethal damage heals the nonlethal damage first.

Fast healing does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation.

Fast healing does not increase the number of hit points regained when a creature polymorphs.
    Emphasis .
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Ah, forgot to ask - can it use weapons and shields? And what would armor tailored for it look like, anyway?

15. - Top - End - #165

I think you should just say what it gives them. A large amount of groups might not have the fiend folio and therefore no way to check what the template does.

remember, try to keep the abilities things you can find within the SRD.
    Okay, posted a copy of the template.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajhera View Post
    You mention 'A target effected by this ability will even attack companions who try to stop them from entering the square of the Yellow Musk Creeper.' Just feel like this is a bit specific a behavior prescription, when there might be more efficient methods of getting to your space.
    Well, it's not saying that that specific behavior will occur, it's stating the amount to which the creature is enthralled. They will even go to the extent of attacking an ally if they must. It's not saying, "If someone tries to stop them, they'll beat that person up."

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Emphasis .
    Okay, fair enough. In that case I suppose the Fast Healing will help you regenerate quickly and then start to slowly work on the fire/acid damage.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Changing 'would' to 'might' could work fine, to make it clear it's an option rather than a specific compulsion.

17. - Top - End - #167

Changing 'would' to 'might' could work fine, to make it clear it's an option rather than a specific compulsion.
    Okay! Changed. Thank you!
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Hmm... musk zombies can still use the spell-like abilities of their old form? Could be kinda fun. What about racial casting, which isn't specified as any sort of ability whatsoever? It duplicates a class feature, so it's *probably* scrubbed, but ... (I know that part's not yours, but it's interesting to consider.)

Do shields count as weapons?

It's looking nice.

Edit: Also, put a note in about how fast healing and regeneration interact. If it confused us, it will confuse others.
    Last edited by Kajhera; 2010-12-08 at 07:25 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169

Hmm... musk zombies can still use the spell-like abilities of their old form? Could be kinda fun. What about racial casting, which isn't specified as any sort of ability whatsoever? It duplicates a class feature, so it's *probably* scrubbed, but ... (I know that part's not yours, but it's interesting to consider.)
    I would say that is probably kept-- a creature keeps their inherent abilities, just not those gained by knowledge.
    Do shields count as weapons?
    I should think so.
    It's looking nice.
    Thank you very much!
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

I would say that is probably kept-- a creature keeps their inherent abilities, just not those gained by knowledge.
    Maybe fullcasting as a sorcerer. But as a cleric or wizard, who has to prepare their spells? They're not smart enough to even pick their spells, much less pray to a god long forgotten for a flower.

21. - Top - End - #171

Maybe fullcasting as a sorcerer. But as a cleric or wizard, who has to prepare their spells? They're not smart enough to even pick their spells, much less pray to a god long forgotten for a flower.
    Does any creature actually have full cleric or wizard casting? I'm now just picturing a baby of some race popping out with a spellbook in hand, studying arcane arts. I thought that all racial casting was in some way innate.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Does any creature actually have full cleric or wizard casting? I'm now just picturing a baby of some race popping out with a spellbook in hand, studying arcane arts. I thought that all racial casting was in some way innate.
    There's the angel.

Looking at the Yellow Musk creeper zombie thing now.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Trumpet archon has cleric casting of its HD + 2. So ... more than full casting.

Edit: I was thinking of trying my hand at that, but I couldn't figure anything beyond HD-1 cleric casting, their trumpet-weapon that is evidently +1/3 HD, archon abilities, DR and SR. Not that those wouldn't be fun, but that is not a 14-level class. Suppose I'll stick with smaller ones for now.
    Last edited by Kajhera; 2010-12-08 at 07:38 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174

There's the angel.

Looking at the Yellow Musk creeper zombie thing now.
    Trumpet archon has cleric casting of its HD + 2. So ... more than full casting.

Edit: I was thinking of trying my hand at that, but I couldn't figure anything beyond HD-1 cleric casting, their trumpet-weapon that is evidently +1/3 HD, archon abilities, DR and SR. Not that those wouldn't be fun, but that is not a 14-level class. Suppose I'll stick with smaller ones for now.
    Fair enough. I didn't write it, so we can only guess at what was intended. What do you think?
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Ethergaunt get's Wizard casting = HD.

What are you doing about the ethergaunt btw? Gorgon removed Oslecamo's (admittedly overpowered) one.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Fair enough. I didn't write it, so we can only guess at what was intended. What do you think?
    I think racial spellcasting should probably be nixed, personally. Can't see mindless creatures casting spells or manifesting powers very well, and definitely not preparing them (though I don't think much of anything gets powers as an erudite). Even setting Wisdom to 10 doesn't entirely solve clerics - 10 is enough for orisons, after all.

Edit: I daresay that setting Int to -, does, however, solve wizards.
    Last edited by Kajhera; 2010-12-08 at 07:46 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Ethergaunt get's Wizard casting = HD.

What are you doing about the ethergaunt btw? Gorgon removed Oslecamo's (admittedly overpowered) one.
    As I've said before, anyone willing to revise a class is more than welcome to. I'll try to revise some of the old ones myself if I can, at some point, but, you know...

Oslecamo made a number of overpowered classes, for now, I may just re-add it to the project for reference, possibly with a note that it is not approved for balance. What do you all think?

Musk Zombies: I'll change the template so it sets Wisdom to 8 instead.
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-12-08 at 07:53 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

As I've said before, anyone willing to revise a class is more than welcome to. I'll try to revise some of the old ones myself if I can, at some point, but, you know...

Oslecamo made a number of overpowered classes, for now, I may just re-add it to the project for reference, possibly with a note that it is not approved for balance. What do you all think?

Musk Zombies: I'll change the template so it sets Wisdom to 8 instead.
    If the DM happens to be using the monster classes (which I do) we've still got Cha-based nymph druid zombies to poke.

Edit: Also, give your zombie a periapt of wisdom +6 and suddenly he can cast fine. I still think negating the spellcasting entirely would be best.
    Last edited by Kajhera; 2010-12-08 at 07:59 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179

If the DM happens to be using the monster classes (which I do) we've still got Cha-based nymph druid zombies to poke.

Edit: Also, give your zombie a periapt of wisdom +6 and suddenly he can cast fine. I still think negating the spellcasting entirely would be best.
    Okay, done that.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

Phew, did it pretty fast, although it admittedly might be a bit OP.

Gibbering Mouther

Spoiler
    Show

Hit Dice:d8

1st|+0|+2|+0|+0|Gibbering Body, Blood Drain

2nd|+1|+3|+0|+0|Spittle +1 Con

3rd|+2|+3|+1|+1|Gibbering,

4th|+3|+4|+1|+1|Ground Manipulation, +1 Con

5th|+3|+4|+1|+1|Engulf, Growth[/table]

Skills Points at 1st Level: (2+Intelligence Modifier)x4
    Skills Points at Each Level: (2+Intelligence Modifier)
    Class Skills: The Gibbering Mouther’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Knowledge(Dungeoneering)(Int) Survival (Wis) Escape Artist (Dex) Listen (Wis) Spot (Wis)

Proficiencies: The Gibbering Mouther gains proficiency with its own natural weapons.

Gibbering Mouther Class Features: The following are the Class Features of the Gibbering Mouther:

Gibbering Body:Starting at 1st level the Gibbering Mouther loses all racial traits and gains Aberration traits. He cannot be flanked and is not subject to critical hits. He gains two bite attacks that deal 1d4+Str damage, and gains another mouth every 4 HD. It gains a natural AC bonus equal to it's Con modifier. He is capable of extending a mouth for fine manipulation (although he can't use weapons) and cannot wear armor. A Gibbering Mouther can speak, although it talks with all it's mouths at once.

Blood Drain:A 1st level Gibbering Mouther can drain blood from his victims. If he hits with his bite attack, he can latch on with the mouth to the creature he hit as a move action (if he has one to expend). This becomes a swift action at level 5. Every subsequent turn, the creature the Mouther is latched on to must make a DC (10+1/2HD+Con) Str check or Reflex save (creature's choice) or take 1d4 points of damage for each attached mouth. The Mouther then gains the same amount of HP that was lost by the drained opponent. A creature that is attached by this ability as well as the gibbering mouther cannot move unless they are two size catagories larger than the mouther, but is not considered grappled. If an opponent that is attached succeeds on this save, the mouth is removed. Add an extra d4 for damage from this ability per 5 HD. A mouth attatched to an opponent cannot be used to make a bite attack. The Gibbering Mouther can disattach at any time.

Spittle: A 2nd level Gibbering Mouther can fire a line of acidic spittle as a standard action. This ranged touch attack (Not a breath weapon) deals 1d6 acid damage per 2 HD to a creature within 30 feet, plus 10 feet per 5 HD. At 5th level the creature must make a Reflex save (DC 10+1/2HD+Con) or be blinded for 1d4 rounds. Increase this number by 1d4 for every 4 HD.

Gibbering:At 3rd level Gibbering Mouther can emit a random cacophony of nonsense. Once per day per 3 HD the Gibbering Mouther may force all opponents in a 60 foot radius to make a DC (10+1/2HD+Cha) Will save as a standard action. If they fail, they are affected as per the spell Lesser Confusion. The caster level for this spell is equal to the HD of the Gibbering Mouther.
    At 5th level this effect also deals 1d4 sonic damage per 2 HD.
    At 10 HD they are affected as per the spell confusion instead.
    At 15 HD the radius upgrades to 120 feet.
    At 20 HD it is no longer a mind affecting ability.

Stat Bonus: At 2rd level a Gibbering Mouther gains strength from the blood it has sapped from its many victims. It gains a +1 bonus to Con. At fourth level, he gains another +1 to Con.

Ground Manipulation: At 4th level a Gibbering Mouther can manipulate the ground itself. As a full round action, a Gibbering Mouther of 4th level can cause stone and earth in a 10 foot radius to become quicksand. Increase this number by an extra 10 feet for every four HD the gibbering mouther has. Anyone other than the Gibbering Mouther in that area must treat it as difficult terrain. This lasts for 1/2HD rounds and after affected creatures leave the area they must make a DC (10+1/2 Gibbering Mouther's HD+Con) will save. If they fail they fall prone due to the weight of the leftover sand. At 10 HD any creature caught in the quicksand for three rounds must use a standard action every turn or sink in the quicksand, removing their ability to move until the quicksand dissapates. At 15 HD, a creature caught in the quicksand for four rounds sinks in totally and cannot move or attack and begins to suffocate (DC 10+1/2 HD+Con Will save to escape). If the save is made, they break free, but are still in the quicksand area and still subject to it's effects. Any creature still in the quicksand is ejected onto solid ground at the end of the spell. At 20 HD the sunken creature isn't ejected and is treated as being buried 20 feet in the earth.

Engulf: A 5th level Gibbering Mouther can engulf opponents he has gripped. If an opponent that is equal to or smaller than the Gibbering Mouther that is gripped using Blood Drain has been successfully latched on with any number of mouths for two rounds, the opponent falls into the Gibbering Mouther and is swallowed whole (as the ability, except the following changes). The creature is subject to Blood Drain every round and cannot attack from within. They can escape by making their saving throw against the effects of blood drain, although the DC of it increases by 2 per round in the mouther. During this time period, the Gibbering Mouther regains use of the mouths it was gripping with. Also, the Gibbering Mouther can chose to make a standard action to focus on the engulfed foe, automatically dealing Blood Drain damage for all the mouths he currently has unless the saving throw against it is made. If they suceed on this saving throw they are still engulfed however. Only one creature can be engulfed at a time.

Growth: A 5th level Gibbering Mouther becomes Large. At 10 HD it becomes Huge, at 16 HD Gargantuan, and at 21 Colossal.

Comments/Changelog:

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure if this guy is overpowered, I'll see what the community has to say.

Changelog
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dec. 8, 2010: Fixed up some grammar and buffed up Spittle and Blood Drain
    Dec 9, 2010: Made some specifications to Spittle, Blood Drain, and Ground Manipulation.
    Lowered the DC for all class abilities a bit.
    Lowered BaB, added fine manipulation, cleared up some details, and edited all skills.
    Dec 12, 2010: Added another stage of progression for Gibbering, fixed up saves, and made some clarifications on Engulf.
    Dec 14, 2010: Buffed Engulf up a bit, clarified the CL on Gibbering and fixed the Reflex save.
    Made Ground Manipulation stronger, made it so he coudn't wear armor, and fixed Blood Drain.
    Dec 16, 2010: Made some grammar changes and misunderstandings on class abilities.
    Dec 22, 2010: Fixed up mistakes in growth, added a +1 to Str, added a size requirement to be affected by blood drain, and added the type of action for gibbering.
    Jan 1, 2011 (Happy new year!): Edited some misunderstandings in Blood Drain and Spittle. Also changed the stat upgrades and buffed Ground Manipulation.
    Feb 5, 2011: Fixed up some overpowed scaled abilities on Gibbering and clarified up some points on Ground Manipulation, removing one part entirely.
    Last edited by Betropper; 2011-02-05 at 08:16 AM.
    Celestia Moon avatar by Dirtytabs. He is now the most awesome thing.

THIS
    Wins
    My website: Free Raptor Games
    Note: mostly abandoned due to lack of time.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Weretrex avatar by Bradakhan

Bec Noir avatar by Derjuin, thanks! Yes, that sword in his chest is a part of him.