New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default How do you move a file from one computer to a different comptuer?

I was trying to send a file to some of my players in a gaming campaign.. and realized, after I'd compiled everything; I haven't the slightest clue how to transfer files.
    So I decided to come here, and see if anyone could explain it to me.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: How do you move a file from one computer to a different comptuer?

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    I was trying to send a file to some of my players in a gaming campaign.. and realized, after I'd compiled everything; I haven't the slightest clue how to transfer files.
    Obligatory xkcd

If USB file sharing isn't feasible, I'd suggest email or cloud-type storage (Google Drive being probably the easiest to use, assuming you both have a gmail account).

If you send via email, there should be a button that says "attach file", which will let you put in send anything up to 25MB (normally).

Google Drive (and I would assume other cloud-type storages have this as well) has a nice, large "Upload" button, from which you can select and upload your file in the same way you'd attach it to an email. After that's done, set the sharing preferences to "anyone with link may view", and send them the link to the file (it should be available in the sharing preferences box, but if not, you can grab the link from your URL bar).

--
    I hope I've not horribly misunderstood what you're asking... >.>
    A few odds and ends.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Google it.
    Gmail lets you move some pretty big files around. Signing up is pretty quick. What, you thought I was telling you to search for an answer yourself? Pah.

Most chat programs have a file transfering system of some sort. MIRC for sure has it, I'm pretty sure Skype has one. MS Instant Messenger had one last time I checked. AIM had one years ago, not sure if it's still any good.

And yeah, flash cards/USB keys + car or mail work.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I feel a little silly about having forgotten gmail.
    I'll try that then(since it's an online rather than in person campaign), thank you for helping me remember it

Also, what is a "cloud storage"?
    Last edited by Togath; 2014-01-08 at 09:29 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

I feel a little silly about having forgotten gmail.
    I'll try that then(since it's an online rather than in person campaign), thank you for helping me remember it

Also, what is a "cloud storage"?
    Continuing the earlier joke of 'google it'
    here's a wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_storage

Lots of wireless routers are having hard drives built in along with easy to administer networks. So basically, if you have one of these you essentially have a mini cloud storage accessable by any of your wireless devices in your home. Not helpful in getting your file to whomever, but it's a simple example.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2014-01-08 at 10:41 PM.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Skype can directly transfer any type of file of any size, as long as you've got a decent connection and the patience for it. Just open a conversation with one of your players, drag the file in question into the text box, rinse and repeat. If it's huge, you might want to do it one at a time, or enlist them in sending it to other players until you've gotten everybody.
    vape naesh

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't have Skype, since I don't like programs that are always on.
    Meow(Steam page)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Uh, you can set it up so it only starts when you actually launch it and doesn't auto log in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo View Post
    Uh, you can set it up so it only starts when you actually launch it and doesn't auto log in.
    Turning it off after use is a bit of a rigmarole though.

I believe there was a game channel streamer who thought he turned it off (pressing close in the first instance only minimises it) and was caught on his stream enjoying some *cough* private time with the best adult entertainment the internet can offer.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Right-click Skype icon next to clock and select "Quit"? If that's a rigmarole I'd hate to see what you consider changing the UAC settings in Windows 8 to be...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Same. It's one thing if it's a local service like for a video card, but this will constantly talk to the internet and when I hit close it needs to be no more.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Right-click Skype icon next to clock and select "Quit"? If that's a rigmarole I'd hate to see what you consider changing the UAC settings in Windows 8 to be...
    When I used it (admittedly over a year ago) the process would keep running in the background after you hit quit, I guess so it could launch faster. And yes, that's using the icon by the clock. I would have to kill it using task manager, which was unacceptable. Also when I hit close in the top right hand corner of a program I expect it to die.

If I LIVED on skype this likely wouldn't be an issue and I would like these features, but I only wanted it for talking to 1-2 people and found it unnecessarily invasive for that task. But that's just me.
    Proud 1st edtion player!

12. - Top - End - #12

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbum42 View Post
    When I used it (admittedly over a year ago) the process would keep running in the background after you hit quit, I guess so it could launch faster.
    It's never done that for me if I actually select "quit". If I select "close" or use one of the normal Windows methods for closing the app (including Alt+F4) then it minimises to the taskbar--pretty sure it's always worked that way.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Continuing the earlier joke of 'google it'
    here's a wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_storage

Lots of wireless routers are having hard drives built in along with easy to administer networks. So basically, if you have one of these you essentially have a mini cloud storage accessable by any of your wireless devices in your home. Not helpful in getting your file to whomever, but it's a simple example.
    I haven't really seen any router with hard drives built in, but I have been seeing them with USB ports to plug in a hard drive and share it automatically on the network.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

It is ancient but works-lap link. For those people obsessed with privacy it comes with cables to physically connect your computers. And still works does great work salvaging my old machines.

15. - Top - End - #15

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    It is ancient but works-lap link. For those people obsessed with privacy it comes with cables to physically connect your computers. And still works does great work salvaging my old machines.
    Which is fine, provided both machines have a serial or parallel port--you'd be surprised how many machines don't have either these days. Also requires you to move both machines to the same location, which isn't always practical.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Highly recommend Google Drive.
    Check out our O'Reilly Book, "Creating Augmented and Virtual Realities: Theory and Practice for Next-Generation Spatial Computing"
    I contributed Chapter 13: "Virtual Reality Enterprise Training Use Cases"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I highly recommend using WeTransfer.
    No install needed or any annoying adds.

You can transfer files up to 2 GB with it as often as you like for free.
    Last edited by Dallas-Dakota; 2014-01-20 at 04:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post

I believe there was a game channel streamer who thought he turned it off (pressing close in the first instance only minimises it) and was caught on his stream enjoying some *cough* private time with the best adult entertainment the internet can offer.
    Best the internet can offer? That's a rather high standard.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I use Gmail for small stuff, occasionally Dropbox, and flash drives when I can't rely on internet.
    ithilanor on Steam.