New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Request a Homebrew

R647

I would like to request a few alternative classes for the ghost base classes on ghostwalk, and possibly prestige classes that focus on ghost abilitys, this is for a gestalt game.
    There is a fighter and a caster one thus far.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    C 644
    Wouldn't it be simpler to say extreme skill focus give a +5 to any skill, makes you pay 5 skill ranks from that skill, makes you lose half your class skills, and forces you to always put as many ranks as possible in the selected skill at every level, including the level you gained this feat at? These ranks will replace any paid to get this feat, up to all 5. Requires skill focus in that skill, max ranks in that skill and ranks in less than half of your class skills.
    That works.
    H 644
    Version 1.0
    Tried to highlight the changes in red.
    Extreme Skill focus
    Pre-requisites: Skill ranks in less than half of your class skills for one class that you have, Skill Focus in one of the class skills, max skill ranks in that same class skill.
    Drawbacks: Lose 5 ranks from the selected skill.Remove half the class skills from that class. Skills so removed always count as cross-class for you from now on, regardless of which class you are advancing in. You may not remove the skill that this feat applies to. Whenever you gain a level in ANY class (base or prestige) that has that skill on its class skill list you MUST put as many skill points as allowed into that skill.
    Benefits: You gain a +5 bonus to that skill. This stacks with everything, especially skill focus. You must then move all your skill ranks that you gained at this level up into that skill or move 5 skill ranks gained at this level-up into that skill, whichever is less. (In other words, the skill must be as high as possible both before and after the level-up that gained you this feat.)
    Special: You may take this feat twice, each time it applies to a different skill and re-halves the number of skills you must have no ranks in, and that are removed from your class skill lists. Both times you must select the same class for it to effect the skill list for. In other words your class skill list becomes on quarter the size after the second selection (and you must have had no ranks in the other three quarters of the original class skill list).

A bit worried about how this might interact with class that get "All Knowledge skills" let alone "All Skills".
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2011-07-18 at 12:11 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    That works.
    H 644
    Version 1.0
    Tried to highlight the changes in red.
    Extreme Skill focus
    Pre-requisites: Skill ranks in less than half of your class skills for one class that you have, Skill Focus in one of the class skills, max skill ranks in that same class skill.
    Drawbacks: Lose 5 ranks from the selected skill.Remove half the class skills from that class. Skills so removed always count as cross-class for you from now on, regardless of which class you are advancing in. You may not remove the skill that this feat applies to. Whenever you gain a level in ANY class (base or prestige) that has that skill on its class skill list you MUST put as many skill points as allowed into that skill.
    Benefits: You gain a +5 bonus to that skill. This stacks with everything, especially skill focus. You must then move all your skill ranks that you gained at this level up into that skill or move 5 skill ranks gained at this level-up into that skill, whichever is less. (In other words, the skill must be as high as possible both before and after the level-up that gained you this feat.)
    Special: You may take this feat twice, each time it applies to a different skill and re-halves the number of skills you must have no ranks in, and that are removed from your class skill lists. Both times you must select the same class for it to effect the skill list for. In other words your class skill list becomes on quarter the size after the second selection (and you must have had no ranks in the other three quarters of the original class skill list).

A bit worried about how this might interact with class that get "All Knowledge skills" let alone "All Skills".
    This looks great. Why would skill lists of "All" be a problem? There's no way to add new skills to the game, so all that would happen is that you take the full list of skills, then remove half, just like any other class.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by master256 View Post
    This looks great. Why would skill lists of "All" be a problem? There's no way to add new skills to the game,
    Wrong, but mostly irrelevant to my concern. The psionics books added Auto-hypnosis, Psicraft, and Use Psionic Device. ToB added Martial Lore. Some book added Iajatsu(sp) focus.
    Quote Originally Posted by master256 View Post
    so all that would happen is that you take the full list of skills, then remove half, just like any other class.
    Craft, Profession, and, to a lesser extent, Knowledge can be expanded out to a very large number of skills... craft and profession especially people only take ranks in a few of (if any) in all but the most unusual cases. Thus dropping them doesn't effect the build AT ALL.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Bugbear in the Playground

Some book added Iajatsu(sp) focus.
    Oriental Adventures...

My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Titan in the Playground

Craft, Profession, and, to a lesser extent, Knowledge can be expanded out to a very large number of skills... craft and profession especially people only take ranks in a few of (if any) in all but the most unusual cases. Thus dropping them doesn't effect the build AT ALL.
    Hmm, craft, perform and profession should be made ineligible for removal. Knowledges would probably have to stay though.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2011-07-18 at 05:07 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Hmm, craft, perform and profession should be made ineligible for removal.
    So they don't count either way? That could work AFIACT.
    Or they each count as ONE skill for this (All Craft, All Perform, All Profession)? That could also work I think.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2011-07-18 at 05:50 PM.
    Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm requesting a Soul Hound class, taken from LineageII, as a PRC for DnD 3.5

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by VarianArdell View Post
    R.633: I would request a reworking of the Fleshwarper prestige class, with more focus on outsiders or other types of creatures instead of aberrations. Thanks in advance.
    repost 1/3 tencharmin
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Bindrune courtesy of Starfols. Request yours here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Ikari View Post
    Could you touch the sound you heard in the vision you saw from the flavor you tasted from a color?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    2 + 2 = fish
    50 gp = +2
    2 + (50 gp) = fish
    50 gp = fish – 2
    sickened = – 2
    50 gp = fish + sickened
    Sick fish are 50 gp

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

10. - Top - End - #1330

@dspeyer

Please, do fill out the other schools if you can. I may not want to use them, but I have players who would and I may also(occasionally) use enchantment(though I am more partial to necro.)
    Awesome evil Necro-Cleric Avatar created by Ceika

In D&D I am a..

Spoiler
    Show
    Level 3 Lawful Evil Half-Elf Cleric with the following ability scores...

Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 17
    Charisma- 16

To find out your D&D self take this quiz today!

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Troll in the Playground

R650
    If anyone might be interested in this request... I've been reading through the Apprentice Adept series and finding myself wanting to play as a particular race from it, the unicorns, however they differ from the typical fantasy unicorn. From the wikipedia entry with some of my own additions on what they left out.

DnD 3.5
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unicorns in the Apprentice Adept series are somewhat different from those traditionally described in fantasy. First, Phaze's unicorns are as intelligent as humans. Also, they are not colored in blacks and greys like horses but rather in more dramatic colors. For instance, one unicorn character, Clip, is a blue stallion with red "socks," that is, ankles. In addition to their coloring, unicorns with socks can actually remove them. If humans don them, the socks cast the illusion that the human is in fact a unicorn of the sock color. Furthermore, unicorns in Phaze are shapeshifters; most can learn two other forms. If a unicorn learns to shift into a hawk, he can fly in that form; if a human, he can speak. Finally, unicorns in the series have hollow horns which they use as musical instruments. Each unicorn character described in the books has a distinct instrument. For instance, Clip's horn sounds like a saxophone, while his sister Neysa's horn makes harmonica sounds.

They also are resistant towards magic, generally only the most powerful magic users can actually affect them though if the caster is enclosed in a ring of unicorns it becomes extremely difficult (potentially requiring epic level) to cast. Also in human form they have a 'button horn' on their forehead where if it is covered they can't transform.

As to the musical ability I'm thinking along the lines of their horn counts as a masterwork instrument and they also get an inherent perform (wind) skill bonus that extends to their other forms. They also have they're own horn language that might translate to Sylvan well enough and one could argue in DnD terms that they could cast in this form. In regards to being shapeshifters the book seems to describe it as occurring instantaneously and from my recollection the two forms they can turn into almost always seems to be humanoid (2nd) and a flight capable creature (3rd). I would hope that the races combat skills would beable to scale through the levels so that it's viable to fight in unicorn form much less survivable in all forms. As to magical ability the horns do seem to have a sort of curing ability but thus far its been demonstrated rarely (once?) and only with diseases.

The Improved Monster Classes's Unicorn might be a good reference.

edit: Sock clarification.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by userpay View Post
    The shapechanger abilities aren't transfered with the socks, the socks only project an illusion that other wearers appear as a unicorn of similar color. As to whether or not the unicorn can still transform while not wearing the socks I'm not sure, they didn't try/say though as far as I know the only limitation is the horn being covered. I should note that its the hind leg socks that can be taken off and again it doesn't say but I think only the unicorn can allow the socks to be taken off of him/herself (ie unicorn's will that makes the 'socks' socks).
    Last edited by userpay; 2011-08-17 at 03:33 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Pixie in the Playground

R. 648

Hey guys, i need some help because my Dm challenged me to came back next session with an answer to a problem, so please help me

I need some way (be it feats or spells) that let me achieve rebuking for a sorc/wizard. And also, if you create/point me to a source that allows rebuking undead, outsiders, magical beasts, plants, oozes, aberrations, vermin, fey, elementals, dragons, or constructs (not all in the same feat/spell) I will be glad to give you a cookie and a thank you very much!

Thanks you in advance!
    Caiphon
    Last edited by Caiphon; 2011-07-24 at 05:53 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1333

Something similar was done for the wizard for me in this very thread, actually...by ericgrau...

" H 629

ACF, unholy necromancer: Lose familiar. Gain command undead as a cleric of equal level. Cast each necromancy spell at the cleric level if clerics can cast it EDIT: Add cleric necromancy spells to your spell list, using the lower of the two spell levels if a spell is on both the wizard/sorcerer and cleric list. The following spells are 1 level higher: all conjurations except those with the [cold] descriptor and except phantom/soul spells (phantom steed, mordenkain's faithful hound, trap the soul), all transmutations that don't buff friendlies without transforming them (polymorph / iron body / etc. are still 1 level higher, haste is not 1 level higher, pyrotechnics is 1 level higher) and all evocations except those with the [cold] descriptor. Optional alignment rule: any non-good (neutral ok)."
    You may want to use that.
    Last edited by Maho-Tsukai; 2011-07-24 at 06:20 PM.

In D&D I am a..

Spoiler
    Show

Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 17
    Charisma- 16

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Orc in the Playground

R 651

Does anybody have rules for awarding XP based on social interaction on a standard scale in D&D? 4e, specifically.
    Last edited by Dr paradox; 2011-07-29 at 10:24 PM.
    I've got a fiction podcast!
    Also, I'm working on a Campaign Log!
    Also, you're looking great today, did you get a haircut?

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Guys, please make sure to NUMBER your requests. Go back and edit your posts if necessary. It's hard to comment and respond without it.

Edsaurus, your number should be R 648. .

This includes COMMENTARY about a posts too.

I refer you to the very first post in this thread.

Your Request Should Be Specific: When making a request, the more detail the better. This is not a thread for very general requests - for example "I need a magic item" or "I need a CR 2 monster" would be inappropriate requests. An appropriate request would be more along the lines of "I need a CR 2 monster, non-intelligent but not mindless, for a tomb-raiding adventure in a desert environment (Egyptian influence a plus!). The party has been fighting undead a lot so far, and I'm really looking for something that they would initially think is undead to catch them off-guard. Preferably, it should have some interesting signature ability so it's not just a 'stand there and hammer each other' fight."

The Homebrew Should Be Fairly Small in Scope: Requests should be for homebrew that could be easily contained in one post - asking for a whole new base class or magic system would be a bit too much for this thread. The concept here is really for DMs to request something they expect to use in short order and don't have the time to develop themselves.

Keep it Short: While some discussion of created items posted to this thread is fine, try to keep it short and sweet. If a discussion is picking up and is going beyond about 8-9 posts (not including the request post and the post presenting the finished product), please move it over to it's own dedicated thread.

Don't Post Something Completed Looking for Feedback: Don't post something you've already made and ask for feedback on it or help with completing it. Such creations should be put into their own threads as normal.

Linking Completed Items: If you've seen something on the boards (or elsewhere) that you think would fit the needs of the poster making the request, feel free to provide a link to it. Please don't repost them entirely to the thread, though. Posting copyrighted material without permission is of course prohibited. (Claiming someone else's work as your own will result in Infractions or other penalties.)

Numbering: In order to keep things clear and cut down on excessive quoting of requests, please number requests (R.1, R.2, etc.), homebrewed up responses (H.1, H.2, etc) and comments (C.1, C.2, etc.).
    Thanks for keeping this thread so tidy for so long!

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-07-29 at 07:11 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Firbolg in the Playground

R 649.
    A creature called Amber Bee. A large Vermin with Extraplanar subtype. It should be bee themed in its abilities. I would also like it to have Mending at will and the abilitity to phase through wood as an earth elemental phases through earth. CR should be mid levels.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

C 649

What bee themes are you looking for? Otherwise you could just slap the Extraplanar subtype on a Giant Bee.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

18. - Top - End - #1338

A powerful poison, hive mind, magic honey, some plant themed abilities, etc. Things like that I guess. I think abilities like that would fit the flavour of the creature.
    Also I wanted to make sure it had Wood Glide.
    The reason I don't just want to add the Extraplanar subtype of giant bees is because it needs to be an average challenge for 4 level 8-10's.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2011-07-29 at 07:30 AM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

C 649.

I'm not sure how wood glide would work. Wood is usually found in piles separated from one another. Ditto for trees. If you go through a tree, you just come out the other side. Since they can fly, they don't need to go through wood or trees, they would just fly around them.

Hivemind with the queen makes sense.

Rather than straight vermin, these should probably be low-intelligence magical beasts from the Beastlands.

I'll see what I can do for you.

Debby

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Guys, please make sure to NUMBER your requests. Go back and edit your posts if necessary. It's hard to comment and respond without it.

Edsaurus, your number should be R 648. .

This includes COMMENTARY about a posts too.

I refer you to the very first post in this thread.

Thanks for keeping this thread so tidy for so long!

Debby
    Sorry about that, added R650 to my request.
    Last edited by userpay; 2011-07-29 at 09:57 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1341

C 649.

I'm not sure how wood glide would work. Wood is usually found in piles separated from one another. Ditto for trees. If you go through a tree, you just come out the other side. Since they can fly, they don't need to go through wood or trees, they would just fly around them.

Hivemind with the queen makes sense.

Rather than straight vermin, these should probably be low-intelligence magical beasts from the Beastlands.

I'll see what I can do for you.

Debby
    C 649.
    • I think Wood Glide could work with plants and trees (Living or dead), and would be useful because there plane of origin is the Elemental Plane of Wood, were everything is made from trees and plants.
    • The Magical beasts makes sense, but what do you mean from the beastlands?
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Titan in the Playground

C 649
    I was thinking wood glide is useful because many town buildings are made of wood, mainly their walls and ceilings.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2011-07-29 at 06:04 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

C & H: 649

Except the bees can fly and have no need to wood glide since they fly passed any obstacles, trees, buildings etc. They can fly over building and could swoop down a chimney (as long as no fire was burning as bees traditionally hate smoke) or out a doorway or large window. Flying negates the need for wood glide.

You could just make a Wood Element Giant Bee but they probably wouldn't have magic honey. That would simply be adding the Elemental Wood Template to a Giant Bee (Manual of the Planes pg. 196). It also makes the creature a Plant. That didn't sound like what you wanted.

[Edit] the Elemental Plane of Wood would be hostile to anyone making buildings from the wood and there are few animals so it would be difficult to have a thriving culture there. And as I said earlier, most roofs would be thatched rather than wood. Using wood on that plane should be a risky endeavor.

Meanwhile here's my interpretation of the Amber Bee from the Elemental Plane of wood (not an elemental as that's what you wanted). Let me know what you think.

Amber Bee (Extraplanar)
    Medium Magical Beast
    Hit Dice: 7d10+7 (45 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 60 ft. (Good)
    Armor Class: 14 (+2 Dex, +2 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+9
    Attack: Sting +9 melee (1d6+3 plus poison)
    Full Attack: Sting +9 melee (1d6+3 plus poison)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Poison
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., hive mind, immunity to poison, low-light vision, magical honey
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref +9, Will +3
    Abilities: Str 14, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 9
    Skills: Spot+12, Survival +12*
    Feats:
    Ability Focus (Poison), Flyby Attack, Lightning Reflexes
    Environment: Elemental Plane of Wood, Warm Forests and Jungles
    Organization: Solitary, buzz (2-5), or hive (11-20)
    Challenge Rating: 6
    Treasure: No coins; ¼ goods (honey only); no items
    Alignment: Always Neutral Evil
    Advancement:
    Level Adjustment: 8-9 HD (Large) [Queen only]

Amber bees are more powerful and more aggressive than their mundane and giant cousins. Like other bees, they are territorial and patrol areas far from their hive. While they are most commonly found on the Elemental Plane of Wood, their honey has gained notoriety among those that travel the many planes. Unfortunately, domesticating these creatures for profit has proved a constant failure.

The queen bee is an advanced bee with the following stats: Str 22, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 9 She also has a +2 size bonus to Armor Class.

Amber giant bees have a limited understanding of Common and cannot speak. Only the Queen can speak Common.

Hive Mind (Ex): All bees within 50 miles of their queen are in constant communication. If one is aware of a particular danger, they all are. If one in a group is not flat-footed, none of them are. No bee in a group is considered flanked unless all of them are.

Magical Honey (Su): The silky smooth texture and deep golden color of the honey from these bees is known to be a restorative to anyone who eats it. Eating at least one serving (one ounce) of this honey acts as a potion of cure light wounds and heals 1d8+1 points of damage. However, substances that are poisonous, have no effect on these bees. If bees obtain their nectar from certain flowers, the resulting honey can be detrimental and acts as a potion of cause light wounds causing 1d8+1 points of damage instead. 10% of magical honey is detrimental.

Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 16, initial and secondary damage 1d6 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +2 racial modifier. An amber bee that successfully stings another creature pulls away, leaving its stinger in the creature. Unlike other bees, the amber bee does not die. It takes 1d4 days for an amber bee to grow another stinger.

Skills: Amber bees have a +4 racial bonus on Spot checks. *They also have a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks to orient themselves.

2 or 3 amber bees should be sufficient to challenge your party.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-07-29 at 10:43 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1344

C: 649
    • The Ability to pass through walls seems to be a good ability in my opinion. especially since ever building in there homeplane is made of wood.
    • Why would it be an Elemental? Salamanders aren't elementals.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

See H.649 above. Ninja'd. FYI, most walls and ceilings aren't just made of wood. A giant bee could easily go through a thatched roof. Most roofs would be thatched not wood. The walls might be wood but the roof would be too heavy if also made of wood and would likely collapse. The rafters would be wood but there is a lot of space between rafters.

C 650: Interesting. Unicorn with Shapechanger abilities that can be transferred via its magical socks. If the socks are on loan, can the unicorn still change shape?

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-07-29 at 10:29 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Troll in the Playground

See H.649 above. Ninja'd. FYI, most walls and ceilings aren't just made of wood. A giant bee could easily go through a thatched roof. Most roofs would be thatched not wood. The walls might be wood but the roof would be too heavy if also made of wood and would likely collapse. The rafters would be wood but there is a lot of space between rafters.

C 650: Interesting. Unicorn with Shapechanger abilities that can be transferred via its magical socks. If the socks are on loan, can the unicorn still change shape?

Debby
    The shapechanger abilities aren't transfered with the socks, the socks only project an illusion that other wearers appear as a unicorn of similar color. As to whether or not the unicorn can still transform while not wearing the socks I'm not sure, they didn't try/say though as far as I know the only limitation is the horn being covered. I should note that its the hind leg socks that can be taken off and again it doesn't say but I think only the unicorn can allow the socks to be taken off of him/herself (ie unicorn's will that makes the 'socks' socks).

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Orc in the Playground

Alright, so, I've got an idea for a really annoying monster to fight, pretty much a fun one-shot enemy. I would stat it up myself, but I'm a bit rusty on my skills, and I don't have the motivation to do so, but I don't want to forget about it, so I'll leave it up to my Playgrounders to make.

R. 654

TORRENTIAL PUPPETEER
    "Ma'am, I just... I can't explain it. We know all the reports, and we were ready to fight the creatures, but... they weren't there. As soon as we started to get close enough to one to strike it, it would jump behind a pillar or corner and then disappear. We must have trudged through that downpour for an hour trying to find those shadow-creatures, but we didn't get a single one. My advice is, if you see a storm coming on, get inside. Otherwise you might not be here the next day."
    ~Alphonso, captain of the City Watch, commenting on his encounter with a torrential puppeteer

The torrential puppeteer is a strange beast, huge and ungainly, but rarely seen. This is because it has adopted one of the most common strategies amongst creatures: looking like something else.

The torrential puppeteer's true form looks something akin to a giant, floating cloud. However, it is usually a very dark blue, and it stands out against the sky, especially since they rarely follow the wind.

However, few torrential puppeteer's choose to be seen voluntarily. Instead, the torrential puppeteer uses the natural rainfall of an area as cover, floating amongst the clouds to hunt. Torrential puppeteers feed mostly on highly sugary materials, which they use to produce the gases in their bodies, but other materials such as meat (usually small animals, such as dogs and cats) and beans; basically anything which can keep it aloft.

Because the torrential puppeteer floats so high in the sky, it would seem they would find it difficult to reach the ground, which is very true. While they can control their buoyancy to a point, they cannot float too close to the ground. Instead, the torrential puppeteer possesses long, thin tendrils which can reach up to 300 feet in length. While not very strong, the torrential puppeteer can release electricity through them (another defensive feature, to appear more like a thunderstorm), killing their prey, at which point they produce a dissolving agent to quickly break down the material. From there, they simply suction the dissolved material up into the sky, using their tendrils like straws.

While the process is slow and tiresome, torrential puppeteers subtly alter the terrain of areas in which they hunt, changing wind routes to bring more rain. In times of great stress, a torrential puppeteer can actually call the rain itself, allowing itself to feed.

But, perhaps the most insidious of the torrential puppeteer's abilities, and that from which they gain their name, the torrential puppeteer can slightly alter the light within the shade of large rainstorms, making different shapes appear. In industrial areas, the torrential puppeteer has learned that humanoid shapes often draw others out (or scare them away), and this has become a common tactic. While they only infrequently assault humanoids directly, herding them away from their hunting grounds is a common occurrence.

As previously stated, torrential puppeteers eat almost anything which can produce the gas they need. While many foods (and objects) can work, many torrential puppeteers tend to develop "tastes" for certain things, which can be a problem in industrial areas. Torrential puppeteers who develop a taste for sugar can often decimate sugar cane plots, and woe be for the bee-farmers with a torrential puppeteer who likes honey. The rare torrential puppeteer who decides to eat primarily meat can become a menace for pets, or even to people.

It is possible for torrential puppeteers to simply siphon already produced gases off from other sources, such as from swamps and volcanoes, but this tends to produce a "high" in the torrential puppeteers. Torrential puppeteers intoxicated by these fumes often act in very strange ways, such as assaulting clouds, sending bolts of electricity in strange patterns, and attempting to make designs in fields. As can be imagined, this can be very dangerous, and so it is not a happy time to be caught around a drunk torrential puppeteer.

Torrential puppeteers reproduce through a strange form of cross-pollination. Because their populations are so low, and because they tend to form certain specific hunting grounds, the most usual form of breeding comes from young torrential puppeteers which are in the process of finding a hunting ground of their own. When they meet an already established torrential puppeteer, there is usually a non-violent confrontation, during which cross-pollination occurs.

From that point on, if either torrential puppeteer possesses enough food (which is usually only the already stationary torrential puppeteer), they begin to bud, growing several dozen smaller torrential puppeteers on their bodies. These grow steadily for 4 to 8 months (depending on the food supply), growing in size and filling with gas. After they reach about 3/4ths the normal size of a torrential puppeteer, they break off and float away, off to find their own home. It is unusual for all of the torrential puppeteers bred in this way to survive, which keeps them fairly rare.

In odd circumstances, it has been known for torrential puppeteers to become members of a community, being fed by the community in exchange for bringing regular rainfall. These torrential puppeteers are often the most intelligent and social of their lot, usually engaging in activities that are rare amongst other torrential puppeteers, such as art (via electrical displays, or using their dissolving agents to "sculpt"), music (they can produce slow, bellowing noises, much like bagpipes), and literature (though their stories are often simple, and usually written across giant fields). Because of their high sociability, they tend to breed more often than other torrential puppeteers, resulting in higher populations in these areas.

MECHANICS
    Essentially, what I'm looking for is a large Aberration (probably Huge or maybe Gargantuan in size). They possess a rather nasty electric shock attack, deliverable through their tendrils, and a very weak acid attack, also deliverable through their tendrils. Because of their high height, I imagine they will be a somewhat annoying opponent to face, but I also imagine them to be a sort of encounter that pops up from time to time from the beginning of a campaign, only to be actually "fought" at higher levels, though this could be taken in other directions.

In addition to the attacks, the tendrils are strong, so a particularly talented, or foolhardy, player could choose to climb them. They can support up to 500 pounds of weight, though the torrential puppeteer doesn't like to be climbed, and will likely attempt to be rid of them.

Obviously their ability to make vague shapes in the rain is something special. Due to their nature, I imagine they can make these shapes at rather far distances, using them to lead their prey or competitors away.

Other than that, the only real ability I can think of is some way to make severe weather storms once a week.

Some things to note: torrential puppeteers are sentient, but only just, probably 4 or 5 Intelligence. They can move fast, probably 100+ feet per round, even if they are often lazy and just loft about. I'm not sure if I have anything off the top of my head.

And, since I'm dumb, I forgot to throw this in there, I'm looking for D&D 3.5/Pathfinder, whatever's easier for people.
    Last edited by Domriso; 2011-08-02 at 01:16 AM.
    Domriso's Homebrew Compendium - A collection of all of my homebrew, throwing in my own design philosophy and my conceptions for possible new things.

Geomancy, Runic Magic, probably more at a later date:
    Come see my Homebrew!

Ever heard of the Ultimate Classes? They're pretty sweet. Check them out here.

I've had an interview over at Tellest! You should go see!

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Titan in the Playground

C. 650:
    Awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #1349

R 651

I am not sure if I can request 4e homebrew but if I can I would like somebody to take a stab at making powers for the wizard class that have the necromancy keyword that would allow one to use necromancy as their primary school with the mage build and not totally suck for taking powers with the necromancy keyword. I would like powers that deal with summoning undead minion(s) alla servitude in death and shackles of the grave, as well as better control options...would somebody be willing to make such powers for me?
    Last edited by Maho-Tsukai; 2011-08-01 at 10:36 AM.

In D&D I am a..

Spoiler
    Show

Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 17
    Charisma- 16

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Dwarf in the Playground

R652: Incarnum Vampire Tamplate

For a Major Vampire-like NPC I need something with more Incarnum feel than the basic vampire. There's already the Incarnum Wraith and Incarnum Zombie that the NPC will have as defender of the Incarnum Crypt.

So what im looking is a Creature of the Night that use Incarnum (so is basic abilities need to be able to get boosted via Essentia allocation), some power may have to be taken as feat or salient abilities, but the core is to have a Vampire that use Incarnum. The Vampire Weakness are optional as they dont have been showed in game, so any other weakness or none is fine too.