New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Don't Let Me Break Your Heart! (3.5 PrC, PEACH)

The Dark Hero

Spoiler
    Show

The Dark Hero is a man of ambition, drive, and music. His dark poems and beautiful vocals sway the hearts of women everywhere (Though the fact that Dark Heroes generally don't wear shirts might also have something to do with it)

Prerequisites:

To become a Dark Hero, you must meet the following prerequisites:

Alignment: Any nonlawful
    Skills: Perform (String Instrument) 8 ranks
    Special: Must have the bardic music class feature

Hit Dice: d6

Class Skills: Appraise, Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Hide, Knowledge (All skills, taken individually), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Perform, Profession, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device, Use Psionic Device, and Use Rope.

Skill Points: 6+Int per level

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Unarmed Damage|Spellcasting

1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Fist of Love, Bardic Music|1d4|

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Center Stage|1d4|+1 existing bardic spellcasting

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|Aching Heart|1d6|

4th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Inspire Power|1d6|+1 existing bardic spellcasting

5th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Aura of a Hero|1d8|

6th|+4|+2|+5|+5|Knock Them Off Their Feet|1d8|+1 existing bardic spellcasting

7th|+5|+2|+5|+5|Screaming Finale|2d6|

8th|+6|+2|+6|+6|Break Your Heart|2d6|+1 existing bardic spellcasting

9th|+6|+3|+6|+6|Power of Fame|3d6|

10th|+7|+3|+7|+7|White Tiger|3d6|+1 existing bardic spellcasting[/table]

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Dark Hero gains proficiency with his unarmed strikes. He does not gain any additional proficiencies with other weapons, armor, or shields.

Fist of Love (Ex): A Dark Hero's fist carries the weight of his soul. All his past experiences, both joyful and suffering, give strength to his blows. A Dark Hero gains the Improved Unarmed Strike feat as a bonus feat if he didn't already have it. At 1st level, his unarmed strikes deal 1d4 points of damage for a Medium-sized Dark Hero. At every odd level after that, they increase by one step on the Improved Natural Attack chart, to a total of 3d6 for a Medium-sized Dark Hero at level 9. A Dark Hero's fists are manufactured weapons only and do not follow natural attack rules, nor can they be enhanced by spells or feats that apply to natural attacks only (Such as the magic fang spell or the Improved Natural Attack feat)

Bardic Music: A Dark Hero's levels count as bard levels for determining the daily number of uses of bardic music he has. His class levels do not stack with bard levels for determining which songs he can play.

Center Stage (Su): A Dark Hero commands attention with his spine-tingling vocals and awesome riffs. While enemies will still focus on the fight as best they can, when they're done swinging their claws they will always glance back towards the Dark Hero, leaving themselves vulnerable and unprepared.

Starting at 2nd level, whenever a Dark Hero begins his bardic music, all enemies within 60 feet of him who can hear and see him must make a Will save (DC 10+class level+the Dark Hero's Charisma modifier). If a creature fails this saving throw, it is treated as flat-footed for as long as the Dark Hero performs. This is a mind-affecting ability.

Spellcasting: At every even level, a Dark Hero gains additional spells per day, spells known, and an increased caster level as if he had taken another level of bard. He does not gain any other benefits from the bard class.

Additionally, the Dark Hero's particular brand of debuffing skills allow him access to a wider range of enchantment and illusion spells. The Dark Hero may select spells known and use command items as if he had access to the hexblade spell list (Complete Warrior) along with the bard spell list. If the Dark Hero is a divine bard variant, he may not cast spells that oppose his alignment.

Aching Heart (Su): A Dark Hero doesn't just play songs to help his allies. He can also serenade a single creature and entice it just enough to leave its defenses open before he turns on it himself.

As a full-round action, a Dark Hero may expend a daily use of bardic music and make a Perform check. He chooses a single creature that is within reach of him. The creature must make a Will save (DC equal to his Perform check). If that creature fails its saving throw, the Dark Hero may make a single attack at his highest attack bonus. (If the Dark Hero was using an instrument that required both hands, or was not holding a weapon, he may make an unarmed strike instead) The creature is treated as flat-footed and if the Dark Hero hits and deals damage, the creature makes another Will save (DC 10+class level+Dark Hero's Charisma modifier). If it fails that save, it is stunned for 1 round.

Inspire Power (Su): The Dark Hero's dangerous lyrics and rock-themed ballads often get his allies much more pumped than a regular bard, though they find it harder to focus while he is singing.

Inspire Power is bardic music. It follows the same rules as bardic music and requires a daily use of it to begin Performing. A Dark Hero must have at least 12 ranks in Perform to use Inspire Power.

While a Dark Hero sings Inspire Power, allies (including the Dark Hero) within 60 feet who can see and hear him gain a morale bonus on their weapon damage rolls equal to his class level.

Aura of a Hero (Ex): The Dark Hero's presence is both hypnotic and commanding. Starting at 5th level, all allies within 30 feet of the Dark Hero gain a +4 morale bonus to their Will saves (this does not include the Dark Hero himself) and enemies take a -2 penalty on their attack rolls.

Knock Them Off Their Feet (Sp): Little known fact: Amps were invented because other bards needed the extra edge to keep up with Dark Heroes' sound.

Starting at 6th level, a Dark Hero with at least 14 ranks in the Perform skill may use great thunderclap (Spell Compendium) as a spell-like ability with a caster level equal to his bard caster level. The save DC is Charisma-based. This spell-like ability dispels silence, the same way that slow dispels haste.

This is not a bardic music ability. The Dark Hero may use this ability at will, but he must wait 1d4 rounds between uses. This spell-like ability has a verbal component and a somatic component, that is, the Dark Hero must actually perform, though he need not make a Perform check. (If the Dark Hero has 14 ranks in the Perform (String Instrument) skill only, he must play his instrument in order to use this ability as part of the standard action he uses to cast the SLA) Though the SLA has a somatic component, it is not subject to arcane spell failure (but the Dark Hero could not use it if he was pinned or grappled unless he had 14 ranks in Perform (Sing), etc)

Screaming Finale (Su): Starting at 7th level, a Dark Hero may end his bardic music with a screaming finale. To do this, the bard must stop concentrating/Performing on his song, then use a standard action. He belts out his final vocals and all enemies within 60 feet who can hear him must make a Fortitude save (DC 10+class level+ Dark Hero's Charisma modifier) or take 1d8/class level sonic damage and be deafened for one minute. A successful Fortitude save halves the damage and negates the deafness.

A Dark Hero must have performed his bardic music for at least one round before he may end it with a Screaming Finale.

Break Your Heart (Su): A Dark Hero, though adored by his fans, must walk the earth alone. Sadly, a relationship would just bring him down. A Dark Hero may consume a daily use of his bardic music and play a beautiful solo while looking directly at a creature. He makes a Perform check. The creature must be able to see and hear him. The creature then must make a Will save (DC equal to his Perform check) or develop a strong infatuation for him. The Dark Hero then, as part of this ability, must reject the creature's advances. The creature is then heartbroken, and suffers the effects of a crushing despair spell (caster level equal to the Dark Hero's bard caster level, no saving throw).

This entire ability takes a full-round action. It is a sonic, language-dependent, mind-affecting ability, but does not take the creature's romantic gender preferences into account in any way.

Power of Fame (Ex): A Dark Hero, though he tries his best to fight it, is a very sexy man (or woman). Despite his best efforts, women around the world will hear about him, they will come watch his concerts, and they will write slash fanfiction about him and the muscley barbarian in the group. A smart Dark Hero panders to this rather than fighting it.

Starting at 9th level, the Dark Hero gains a +2 bonus to his Charisma score, and a circumstance bonus on all Diplomacy checks equal to his class level (even if the person he's interacting with has never heard of him, the Dark Hero just has stage presence).

White Tiger (Su): A Dark Hero's music is the foundation of his abilities. When the situation turns desperate, he can unleash his signature theme, and everything will turn around! Starting at 10th level, a Dark Hero may use up all his remaining bardic music uses for the day (he must still have at least one left to use this ability) in order to activate this ability. He must have at least 18 ranks in the Perform skill to use this ability.

The Dark Hero starts playing his theme and his allies surge with might, while his enemies cower in fear. All allies within 60 feet of the Dark Hero who can hear him play gain a morale bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks and ability checks equal to his ranks in the Perform skill (but see below), while all enemies within 60 feet who can hear him take the same amount as a penalty to the listed skills.

This song may only be played for a maximum of 5 rounds. During this time, absolutely no other sonic abilities may be used. All Concentration checks (even those made by allies) fail, and no creature within the radius (ally or enemy) may cast a spell with a verbal component or manifest a psionic power of any kind.

The Dark Hero himself may take no actions other than Performing for the duration of this song, but the power of his music grants him a bonus to his AC and DR/- equal to his ranks in the Perform skill (but see below).

The power of this ability is relative to the amount of power the Dark Hero had left. If he consumed one to five daily uses of bardic music to use this ability, he only gets to use 1/3 of his ranks in Perform to determine his bonus. If he consumed 6 to 10 daily uses, he gets to use 2/3 of his ranks in the Perform skill. If he consumes 11 or more daily uses, he may use his full ranks in the Perform skill.

If the encounter ends before the Dark Hero finishes his song, he is able to reabsorb some of his power into himself. He regains 1d4 daily uses of bardic music, but it cannot exceed the amount he spent. (For example, if a Dark Hero only had 2 uses of bardic music left when he activated White Tiger, he couldn't regain more than 2 uses if he used this recharge mechanic)
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-10-21 at 04:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Don't Let Me Break Your Heart! (3.5 PrC, PEACH)

Almost 100 views and 20 hours and not a single comment? Please guys, I rely on you to tell me whether my classes are balanced and how to improve on them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

For some reason I am now picturing Uchiha Sasuke in a pinstripe suit in a jazz club in a space western setting singing Achey Breaky Heart.

White Tiger might be a little much. Then again, you cannot use it until character level 15th minimum and only once per day. I'd make the bonus/penalty limit equal to [insert formula] based on his remaining (and used to power it) Bardic Music uses.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    For some reason I am now picturing Uchiha Sasuke in a pinstripe suit in a jazz club in a space western setting singing Achey Breaky Heart.
    That's...pretty hilarious

White Tiger might be a little much. Then again, you cannot use it until character level 15th minimum and only once per day. I'd make the bonus/penalty limit equal to [insert formula] based on his remaining (and used to power it) Bardic Music uses.
    Edited. Now if you use five or fewer uses to power it (the most likely scenario) you only get 1/3rd your ranks in Perform.

Edit: Added an unarmed strike progression table to make things a little easier.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-10-16 at 12:30 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I have a PrC somewhere that allows you to regain Bardic Music uses through killing things.

It was only 5 levels long, and gets that ability at 3rd level.

White Tiger a nigh-infinite number of times per day at 18th level sounds fine by me...
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I have a PrC somewhere that allows you to regain Bardic Music uses through killing things.

It was only 5 levels long, and gets that ability at 3rd level.

White Tiger a nigh-infinite number of times per day at 18th level sounds fine by me...
    Well, that's combining homebrew, which takes a very, very generous DM.

Plus, killing things is only half the battle. (The other half is knowing, of course)

Still that would be interesting to see. That would make a pretty decent melee bard.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    Still that would be interesting to see. That would make a pretty decent melee bard.
    Only problem for that is that you may take no other actions than Performing during White Tiger.

I don't see an issue with that though. I do find that you've made the 2/3 ranks window rather small. Perhaps make it 6-10 daily uses? By the end of the PrC you will have 15 daily uses in total anyway. (Most likely, if you are Bard 5/Dark Hero 10, rather than Bard 1/something 4/Dark Hero 10.)

Also Sasuke was singing for Spike Spiegel and Malcolm Reynolds.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-10-16 at 12:56 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Only problem for that is that you may take no other actions than Performing during White Tiger.

I don't see an issue with that though. I do find that you've made the 2/3 ranks window rather small. Perhaps make it 6-10 daily uses? By the end of the PrC you will have 15 daily uses in total anyway. (Most likely, if you are Bard 5/Dark Hero 10, rather than Bard 1/something 4/Dark Hero 10.)
    Ah, right. I knew I was balancing it somehow XD

And I don't want the Dark Hero to have to consume almost all of his daily uses of bardic music to use his capstone to its full extent. That encourages the 15 minute work day, and no one likes that.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    And I don't want the Dark Hero to have to consume almost all of his daily uses of bardic music to use his capstone to its full extent. That encourages the 15 minute work day, and no one likes that.
    Oh no, of course not. With what I suggested, he would need 11 uses, after which he'd have 4 left. (Well, prior to using that of course. )

Perhaps allow them to regain Bardic Music after finishing White Tiger if they have defeated all enemies in that encounter prior to finishing White Tiger? 1d4 Bardic Music sounds good to me.

10. - Top - End - #10

Oh no, of course not. With what I suggested, he would need 11 uses, after which he'd have 4 left. (Well, prior to using that of course. )

Perhaps allow them to regain Bardic Music after finishing White Tiger if they have defeated all enemies in that encounter prior to finishing White Tiger? 1d4 Bardic Music sounds good to me.
    Alright, fair enough!

Any comments on the 9 other class levels?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

The rest of the class levels seem pretty balanced. I could definitely see this being a terribly scary class to play with a few Rogues or other sneak attack-ish character in the party. Scary.

But, yeah, this one is a fun one. I love the idea of rock Bards, and this one encapsulates it pretty fantastically.
    Domriso's Homebrew Compendium - A collection of all of my homebrew, throwing in my own design philosophy and my conceptions for possible new things.

Geomancy, Runic Magic, probably more at a later date:
    Come see my Homebrew!

Ever heard of the Ultimate Classes? They're pretty sweet. Check them out here.

I've had an interview over at Tellest! You should go see!

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Domriso View Post
    The rest of the class levels seem pretty balanced. I could definitely see this being a terribly scary class to play with a few Rogues or other sneak attack-ish character in the party. Scary.

But, yeah, this one is a fun one. I love the idea of rock Bards, and this one encapsulates it pretty fantastically.
    Thank you, Domriso. As Axel would say, "I'm so awesome!"

(By the way, enabling sneak attack isn't the only danger to Center Stage. It removes a creature's ability to take attacks of opportunity, as well as make immediate actions, and of course it denies the creature's Dexterity bonus to its AC)
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-10-16 at 04:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Ooo, I hadn't remember about the lack of attacks of opportunity and immediate actions. That makes it really scary.
    Domriso's Homebrew Compendium - A collection of all of my homebrew, throwing in my own design philosophy and my conceptions for possible new things.

Geomancy, Runic Magic, probably more at a later date:
    Come see my Homebrew!

Ever heard of the Ultimate Classes? They're pretty sweet. Check them out here.

I've had an interview over at Tellest! You should go see!

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Domriso View Post
    Ooo, I hadn't remember about the lack of attacks of opportunity and immediate actions. That makes it really scary.
    Yes. Flat-footed and flanked are two very different conditions. But it fits with the fluff of the ability. I mean, who could take their eyes off this passionate Dark Hero during his performance?

Basically, the Center Stage ability was my attempt to incorporate a bard's fascinate ability into a combat-usage. (Obviously fascinate wouldn't work because it would just be interrupted the first time a creature got hit, so I chose flat-footed)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Spellthieves have finally found their ultimate ally.

16. - Top - End - #16

Spellthieves have finally found their ultimate ally.
    Or, have they finally found their ultimate 3-level dip? (1 Bard, 2 Dark Hero)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I haven't read all of the abilities carefully yet, but I'm just wondering... unarmed damage and stringed instruments. Is there a point? Most, if not all, stringed instruments use both hands. How is he going to attack without putting away his awesome axe, thus losing his air of coolness?

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Treblain View Post
    I haven't read all of the abilities carefully yet, but I'm just wondering... unarmed damage and stringed instruments. Is there a point? Most, if not all, stringed instruments use both hands. How is he going to attack without putting away his awesome axe, thus losing his air of coolness?
    Taking your hand off a two-handed weapon (even to cast a spell with a casting time of a standard action) is a free action. I assume the same could apply to a two-handed instrument.

And the point is because of the rule I just stated, you can actually fight while using a two-handed instrument, but only if you fight unarmed.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Just so that I can get this over with.....

Your pretty man isn't a REAL Heartbreaker!

Now that I got that over with....nice job. I like this.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post

Obligatory.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post

Thank you very much.

22. - Top - End - #22

XD That was pretty funny.

Bards are tricky. Does anyone have an opinion on the 5/10 casting progression? Does anyone think it should be more or less?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I usually don't do half-casting PrCs if I want to go for spellcasting. It's half-assed. I want 7/10 at least. However, since this one isn't all that much about the casting, you could go for an alternative that is more fitting to its flavour: allow it to add Hexblade spells to its spells known list.

24. - Top - End - #24

I usually don't do half-casting PrCs if I want to go for spellcasting. It's half-assed. I want 7/10 at least. However, since this one isn't all that much about the casting, you could go for an alternative that is more fitting to its flavour: allow it to add Hexblade spells to its spells known list.
    *stares at the post, wide-eyed*

That's...that's ingenious!! *goes to update the OP*