New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5/E6] Rizban's E6 Compendium

My zealot is a hybrid caster. It functions off of channeling as an augur, channeling abilities being smite and healing touch. It also has some minor troubadour aura abilities. Casting from one domain of zealot's choice, max of 2nd-level spells.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    I disagree. If it's a critical hit, combat maneuver, or interrupts an attack against an ally, you resolve as a touch attack and still gain FP. I'll specify that it deals no "weapon damage" but can still apply other effects or whatever.

Edit: I can think of a few uses, and I'm sure clever players will find all kinds of uses for touch attacks, even if they deal no weapons damage.
    If its a critical hit, it would likely have hit anyway, baring large threat ranges and low hit chances, making this pretty marginal. Many combat maneuvers are initiated with touch attacks anyway (grapple, trip) or are checks without attack rolls (bullrush, overrun), so the touch attack bit doesn't help. It would apply to charge (if you count that as a maneuver), disarm, and sunder (non-damaging sunder attempts?). Disarm and sunder both provoke without feats. Interrupt mainly applies to sentinel class abilities, as disrupting a spell with a readied action wouldn't work very well without doing damage.

I'm concerned about having enough FP to actually use abilities. Flyn's offense was the best way to get more, though it involved a serious sacrifice of offense. As it is written, it just isn't worth it unless you are planning on using maneuvers heavily anyway. Even then why bother Flynning since the maneuver gives FP anyway and you can damage on the free attack (if tripping, etc)? Having it only really boost disarm/sunder builds is very niche.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-07 at 01:23 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by darklink_shadow View Post
    The archetype is nifty, but it feels super weak.

The spell list doesn't give enough offensive options for the spell blade to put into his sword. I mean, he could really only use shatter, daze monster or baleful transposition, and it's entirely possible that none of those options are any good for his situation.

In addition, it doesn't look like any other class would really want to pick it up either, because it just doesn't offer the goods. A floating +2 to saves is nifty. Free alertness feat via familiar is nifty. Tiny boost to spell casting is nifty.

But over all, it's just meh. Hell, some other archetypes give out more exciting tools for just the Lesser powers.

Trapsmith looks good though. Not too sure on the balance, but the feel is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    As a general rule, a bonus feat does not make a sufficient archetype power. They can be used sparingly, especially for feat-heavy concepts (ranged combat for example) or to avoid bad feat trees. The best use is if you can get a higher level feat without pre-reqs.

I've shied away from making magic archetypes yet for two reasons: I know Rizban has plans for some of them and they can be tricky to balance. That said, a caster focusing on defensive magic is a fine concept and I think this is a solid start, it just needs some fleshing out and something unique to make it more "That's cool" instead of just "that gives a solid spell list".
    Some ideas left behind for the archetype were:

• "Free" Arcane Thesis to make metamagic easier to add to spells.
    • More bonus spells known, to bring it up to par with other caster lists that get three bonus spells.
    • Some sorta bonus to countering spells.
    • Increased AC bonus from defensive spells.

I'd be open to other suggestions, though

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915 View Post
    Some ideas left behind for the archetype were:

• "Free" Arcane Thesis to make metamagic easier to add to spells.
    • More bonus spells known, to bring it up to par with other caster lists that get three bonus spells.
    • Some sorta bonus to countering spells.
    • Increased AC bonus from defensive spells.

I'd be open to other suggestions, though
    Metamagic reducers might be tricky with the spellblade and the auger. Have to see once they are tested a bit.

More spells known is not a bad idea, though potentially more powerful then the fixed spells other archetypes get as bonus spells.

I would make sure not to step on the auger's toes with counterspelling. If the ability is complementary rather than redundant it would be very fitting the theme.

Abjurant champion method? Always a good standby.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-07 at 01:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Halfling in the Playground

The prosopon looks interesting, I didn't try and compare it to other archetypes for balance, but I think it looks like it could be fun to play. The roles of man all seemed a little underwhelming, but I guess I should bear in mind that you'll probably have multiple masks and that versatility should be factored in to their usefulness.

I think that what the spellguard really lacked was a hook, some sort of signature ability or combination of abilities that really makes it stand out. Considering the theme of the class, enhanced ability at counterspelling and dispeling seems like a good fit. Perhaps the ability to counterspell as an immediate action, and being able to spontaneously cast dispel magic, like a priest does with cure spells?
    edit: I forgot the augur gets some counterspelling abilities. Perhaps instead a bonus on dispelling checks along with the spontaneous casting of dispel magic. Then the archetype synergies with and augments the augur's counterspelling, but is also useful to other classes.

Well the zealot sounds interesting and I'd like to see it. I'm especially interested in how you handle the spellcasting. You said earlier it's now an archetype instead of a class, but you're also saying it's going to get it's own casting mechanism ala the augur. I think that will be a first for your archetypes, won't it? It'll set a standard for other "gish" style archetypes.
    The holy warrior was designed to be very simple and straightforward. Stack called it when he said it was passive and depended on it's class for the more active tricks. Depending on how "spellcastery" your zealot is, perhaps they could both serve a useful purpose?
    Last edited by Kerleth; 2013-05-08 at 10:58 AM.
    One edition to find them all, and in the basement bind them.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kerleth View Post
    I think that what the spellguard really lacked was a hook, some sort of signature ability or combination of abilities that really makes it stand out. Considering the theme of the class, enhanced ability at counterspelling and dispeling seems like a good fit. Perhaps the ability to counterspell as an immediate action, and being able to spontaneously cast dispel magic, like a priest does with cure spells?
    I dunno. I'd have to look at it more closely and think about it. I really haven't had much time to look at the things people have been contributing the past couple days. I'm out of town on business, so my time at the computer has been a bit limited.

Well the zealot sounds interesting and I'd like to see it. I'm especially interested in how you handle the spellcasting. You said earlier it's now an archetype instead of a class, but you're also saying it's going to get it's own casting mechanism ala the augur. I think that will be a first for your archetypes, won't it? It'll set a standard for other "gish" style classes.
    For the moment, I intend zealot to be the exception rather than the rule. I'd much prefer to not have casting inherent to the archetypes themselves. Zealot is going to be the one exception, unless there is a VERY good reason for it otherwise.

The holy warrior was designed to be very simple and straightforward. Stack called it when he said it was passive and depended on it's class for the more active tricks. Depending on how "spellcastery" your zealot is, perhaps they could both serve a useful purpose?
    I haven't thrown it out and did mention the possibility of including both. Just keep in mind that I have the tendency to edit or heavily rewrite any contributions I pull for the 'official' release.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

7. - Top - End - #247

Okey, dokey. By the way, I edited my previous post due to typos,and having missed the augur's counterspelling. Slighly changed my suggestion for the spellguard.

As far as the Holy Warrior and editing. NUH UNH You better not touch it!!!Lol. Joking, of course. The Holy Warrior was thrown together in my free time, and I kinda figured it would require tweaking and refinement IF you used it. Just for reference, the idea was:
    1) A combat archetype. (duh)
    2) A warrior that was more of a support character.
    3) To "feel" like a paladin, which to me meant not being swayed from your chosen task and supporting your group.
    4) Not to be TOO mystically or throw in spellcasting, since it was a combat archetype. Also, I just wasn't sure exactly how to handle adding spellcasting to the archetype.
    5) Give some noteworthy and unique abilities that none of your other archetypes offered.
    If it at least functions as some food for thought that inspires somebody else's creation, than I am happy.

While on the subject of "combination" archetypes, like paladins..... Have you considered having classes that would be considered two different "types"? Such as being both a combat and magical class, and thus having access to both archetypes. The spellblade comes to mind, but it's more of a general question. Perhaps a class specifically designed to be able to lean more heavily one way or the other, depending on how a player built the character. Just more food for thought.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

While on the subject of "combination" archetypes, like paladins..... Have you considered having classes that would be considered two different "types"? Such as being both a combat and magical class, and thus having access to both archetypes. The spellblade comes to mind, but it's more of a general question. Perhaps a class specifically designed to be able to lean more heavily one way or the other, depending on how a player built the character. Just more food for thought.
    Yes, I had considered having Hybrid classes. The Spellblade and Zealot were originally intended to be just that with the Zealot having Augur casting and the Spellblade having Magus casting. I changed the style and focus of the Spellblade and changed the nature of the Zealot, because I realized that I really didn't want to pursue that after all, at least not in the "core" of the system. Of note, however, is the Skirmisher archetype, which is available to any Skillful class and, specifically, the Brawler class. I might change that for balance reasons, but I think it's probably okay.

In short, I decided to have each class codified as a single Type and allow the archetypes to be what "breaks the walls" to be available to different Types of class. While it does eliminate some potential, I think that it will make the system more coherent and better in the long run.

1I redid the Duelist a little bit, changed the Flyn's Offense ability and switched the levels of it and Bonetti's Defense around.

Also posting the first rendition of the Zealot.

Duelist
    Spoiler
    Show
    The duelist is a master of his weapon, dancing out of his opponent's reach and lunging forward to strike a killing blow.

Prerequisites: Duelist is available only to Combat classes.
    Archetype Skills: A duelist gains Bluff and Sense Motive as class skills if he does not already possess them.
    Archetype Proficiencies: A duelist gains no additional armor or weapon proficiencies.

Archetype Features
    Lesser Archetype Power
    • Combat Focus: A duelist gains Combat Focus as a bonus feat. In addition, his maximum FP is increased by 1.
    • Parry (Ex): A duelist is able to easily divert attacks away from him. When targeted by a melee attack, a duelist may spend 1 FP to attempt a parry. The duelist makes an attack roll with his weapon, adding his normal modifiers for the attack plus any dodge bonuses to AC. The result of his attack roll replaces his normal AC. In order to use this ability, a duelist must be using a light or one-handed weapon in one hand and not have anything in his off hand.
    • Flourish (Ex): By distracting an opponent with his weapon, a duelist is better able to feint in combat, gaining a bonus on Bluff checks to make feint attempts equal to his class level.

Moderate Archetype Power
    • Rhythm (Ex): After making a successful melee attack, a duelist may spend 2 FP as a swift action to make a second attack at a -2 penalty. This ability does not stack with any other ability that grants additional attacks, such as haste.
    • Bonetti's Defense (Ex): Once per encounter as a move action, a duelist may drop into a defensive stance for one round. All melee attacks made against him until the start of his next turn gain a +4 circumstance bonus to attack but provoke an attack of opportunity from the duelist.
    • Improved Combat Focus: A duelist gains a bonus Focus feat.

Greater Archetype Power
    • Riposte (Ex): If an enemy misses the duelist with a melee attack, including as the result of parry, the duelist may spend 1 FP as an immediate action to make an attack against that enemy.
    • Flynn's Offense (Ex): Once per encounter as a swift action, a duelist may drop into a combat stance for one round. All attacks he makes until the start of his next turn are resolved as touch attacks but deal no weapon damage. A duelist gains 1 FP for every successful attack made during this round.
    • Greater Combat Focus: A duelist gains a bonus Focus feat. In addition, his maximum FP is increased by 1.

Capstone: A duelist adds one additional option to his class' capstone ability.
    • [B]Brawler –
    • [B]Gladiator –
    • Sentinel – Body Guard (Ex): For three rounds, a Sentinel may use parry and riposte against any attacks directed at his ward.

Zealot
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zealous for his cause, a zealot is blessed by the gods with power and the ability to lead and inspire others.

Prerequisites: Zealot is available only to Combat classes.
    Archetype Skills: A zealot gains Knowledge (religion) as a class skill if he does not already possess it.
    Archetype Proficiencies: A zealot gains no additional armor or weapon proficiencies.

Archetype Features
    Lesser Archetype Power
    • Alignment: A zealot must be strongly aligned to a particular deity, striving to live up to that deity's ideal. He may only be lawful good, lawful evil, chaotic good, or chaotic evil. The zealot's alignment must be within one step of his chosen deity's alignment.
    • Channeling (Su): By channeling motes of energy, a zealot is able to create a range of effects.
      • Smite: At 1st level, a zealot can channel motes of energy to bring divine judgment against his enemies. By spending 1 mote, he may make a single melee attack, adding his Charisma modifier (if positive) to his attack roll and dealing an extra 1d6 smite damage per two zealot levels, rounded up.
        Smite bonuses may only be used against an opponent who has an alignment component which is opposed to one of the zealot's. For example, a Lawful Good zealot can only smite enemies who are Evil or Chaotic or both. If a zealot accidentally smites a creature of the wrong alignment, the smite has no effect, but the mote is still used.
      • Healing Touch: At 3rd level, a zealot becomes able to channel energy to heal himself and his allies. By spending 1 mote, he may cast cure light wounds as a supernatural ability. By spending 3 motes, he may cast remove disease as a supernatural ability.
      • Vigor: At 5th level, a zealot can channel motes to increase his speed and durability. He gains a +10 ft enhancement bonus to his base land speed and 1 temporary hit point per class level. For each mote he spends on this ability beyond the first, he gains 1 additional temporary hit point per class level.
    • Motes/day: This ability is exactly as the Augur ability of the same name, except that his bonus motes are based on his Charisma score instead of his Wisdom score.
    • Divine Domain: A zealot chooses one divine domain from the list offered by his chosen deity. He gains access to the spells offered by that divine domain, but he does not gain its granted power or any other benefits of it.
      He begins play knowing one 0-level spell of his choice from the Priest archetype's spell list. Each time he gains a new level, he potentially learns a new spell as indicated on the class table. All spells of 1st-level or higher may only be chosen from the list given by his chosen domain, but he may choose any 0-level spell from the Priest archetype's spell list.
      To learn or cast a spell, a zealot must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a zealot’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the zealot’s Charisma modifier. A zealot simply knows his spells and does not need to prepare them in advance.
      The number of times per day a zealot can cast a spell is limited only by his daily motes.

Moderate Archetype Power
    • Inspiring Aura (Su): A zealot learns to inspire his allies and demoralize his enemies using his words and deeds. As a swift action, he may project an Inspiring Aura. The aura remains in effect until he uses a free action to dismiss the aura or activates a different aura. A zealot need not be in battle to activate an aura and may have it active at any time. A zealot must chant, verbally encourage or cajole, shout, or use some other verbal commands to produce the aura. If the zealot is deaf, he has a 20% chance each turn of the aura failing and deactivating.
      Unless otherwise noted, any variable bonus is equal to the bonus given on the table below, and the aura affects all allies or enemies within the range given who can hear the zealot, though they do not have to share a language. Creatures who are deaf are immune to all benefits and penalties granted by the aura. The aura does not work in an area of silence, and is automatically dismissed if the zealot is dazed, stunned, paralyzed, unconscious, or is otherwise unable to continue producing the necessary sounds.
      Upon gaining this ability, a zealot learns the Valor Inspiration and one other Inspiration of his choice, gaining one new Inspiration at each even numbered level to a maximum of 4 known at 6th level.

Greater Archetype Power
    • Divine Health (Ex): At 4th level, a zealot gains immunity to all diseases, including supernatural and magical diseases.
    • Courageous Aura (Su): A zealot becomes immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Whenever a zealot has an active aura, each ally within that aura gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects. This is in addition to the normal aura effect.

Capstone: A zealot adds one additional option to his class' capstone ability.
    • Brawler – Brutal Smite (Su): If a brawler makes a successful critical hit when making a smite attack, the smite deals an additional 1d6 smite damage.
    • [B]Gladiator –
    • [B]Sentinel –
    The Zealot
    {table=head]Channeling[div]Abilities[/div]|Inspiring Aura[div]Bonus/Range[/div]|Motes[div]/day[/div]|Spells[div]Known[/div]|Maximum Spell[div]Level Known[/div]
    Smite
    |
    -
    |
    |
    |
    |
    -
    |
    -
    |
    |
    |
    1st
    |
    Healing Touch
    |
    +1 / 10 ft
    |
    |
    |
    1st
    |
    -
    |
    +1 / 15 ft
    |
    |
    |
    1st
    |
    Vigor
    |
    +1 / 20 ft
    |
    |
    |
    1st
    |
    -
    |
    +1 / 25 ft
    |
    |
    |
    2nd
    |
    [/table]

Last edited by Rizban; 2013-05-08 at 11:54 AM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Kerleth - The lower level roles where intended to be a bit weaker. I certainly couldn't go giving out 2nd level spells to a level one non-caster. Some of them may need to be buffed though. There is also room for more roles at each level, I just got to a point where I was out of unique things for them to do. Completing thematic sets (tragedy/comedy, stages of life, levels of status, etc) is a goal.

Rizban - The new Duelist fixes my concerns with Flynn's Offense. I'm less concerned now that I was originally for focus generation in general, after realizing that the brawler gets crits, the gladiator rocks maneuvers, and of course the sentinel protects, giving them all good was to get focus.

It does occur to me that two characters could just beat on each other to regain focus (Trip attempt, decline to take AOO, stand, repeat). Not sure what, if anything, to do about it.

The zealot looks good. Certainly different from the established pattern, as you noted. Not wild about alignment restrictions, but at least you have options. Of course, the way the smite works an optimal zealot would always be one of those four anyhow.

I'll chime in with a few focus-feats in a bit.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Focused Brutality [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trained warriors can use their mental focus to ensure a killing blow is unavoidable.
    Prerequisites: Combat Focus
    Benefit: When threatening a critical, you may spend 1 FP as an immediate action to automatically confirm the critical.

Meditation [Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Calm reflection centers the mind.
    Benefit: After resting for a minimum of 8 hours, you may spend 1 hour meditating to regain level/2 FP. You may not exceed your maximum FP.

Perfect Strike [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steady hands and careful aim win the day.
    Benefit: You may spend 1 FP as a swift action to roll twice for your next attack. Use the best result. If one roll threatens a critical, the second roll acts as your confirmation roll.

Try, Try Again [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A skilled warrior can use an apparent miss into open his foes defenses.
    Benefit: After making an attack with a weapon or natural weapon, you may spend 2 FP as an immediate action to re-roll the attack. You must take the result of the second roll, even if it is worse. You may choose to use this ability after the result of the roll has been announced.

Expansive Calm [Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are capable of holding your focus through great exertion.
    Benefit: Your maximum focus increases by 2. You immediately gain 2 FP upon taking this feat, which may be spent and recovered as normal. This feat may be taken more than once, the additional increase in FP capacity stacks.

Focused Fortitude [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A hardened warrior can ignore his wounds.
    Benefit: As a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, you may spend up to your level in FP, healing 3 points of HP per FP spent. Any excess healed is lost.

Preparations [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    The veteran warrior knows how to steel himself for battle.
    Prerequisites: Combat Focus, Focused Fortitude
    Benefit: As a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, you may spend up to your level in FP, granting yourself 5 temporary HP per FP spent. These temp HP do not stack with THP from any other source and persist for class level minutes.

Adrenaline Rush [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your focus allows you to move faster and hit harder than your foes.
    Benefit: As a swift action, you may spend up to your level FP to grant a, insight bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, or AC (and touch AC) equal to the focus points spend or an insight bonus on movement equal to 5' x FP spent for level rounds. Attacks made using this bonus generate FP, an exception to the normal FP generation restrictions.

ed - new feats
    Bestial Focus [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    You imitate the deadly lunge of the wild beasts.
    Prerequisites: Combat Focus, Adrenaline Rush
    Benefit: As a swift action, you may spend 1 FP to grant yourself the pounce ability until the end of your turn.

Mighty Lunge [Combat, Focus]
    Spoiler
    Show
    You dart in and out with blinding speed.
    Prerequisites: Combat Focus, Adrenaline Rush
    Benefit: As a swift action, you may spend 1 FP to increase your melee weapon reach by 5' until the start of your next turn.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-08 at 02:46 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

I like all of those, though I'm going to arrange them into a tree format with similar ones keying off of each other.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I have Preparations requiring focused fortitude. i think try, try again could require perfect strike. Maybe meditation requires expansive calm?

Expansive calm should have a 'may be taken more than once' clause. I'll add it.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Hoplite
    Spoiler
    Show
    A warrior who knows that a shield is more than that just a bit of defense.

Prerequisites: Hoplite is available to any Combat class.
    Archetype Skills: An hoplite gains no additional class skills.
    Archetype Proficiencies: An hoplite gains proficiency with all shields if he does not already have it.

Archetype Features
    Lesser Archetype Power
    • Interposing Shield (Ex): The hoplite adds his BAB/2 (minimum 1) to the AC granted by his shield. Additional, all AC granted by his shield applies to touch AC.
    • Shield Slam (Ex): The hoplite may, as part of a full-attack action, make a bonus shield bash attack for each attack granted by his BAB at a -2 penalty. These attacks receive 1/2 STR to damage, but benefit from the shield's enhancement bonus, if any. No penalty is taken on his normal attacks. The hoplite retains his shield bonus.

Moderate Archetype Power
    • Pushing Shield (Ex): The hoplite does not provoke attacks of opportunity when making bullrush and overrun maneuver checks and may add the enhancement bonus of his shield to the check's result.
    • Dazing Bash(Ex): The hoplite may make a shield bash attack as a standard action. If the attack hits, the target must make a fort save or be dazed for 1 round. On a successful save the target is dazzled 1 round. The save DC is 10+level/2+Str. This attack deals normal damage.

Greater Archetype Power
    • Quick bash (Ex): The hoplite may now make a dazing bash as a move action, but cannot attempt more than one dazing bash per round.
    • Strong Arm (Ex): The hoplite may now add his full STR bonus to any shield bash attack.

Capstone: An hoplite adds one additional option to her class' capstone ability.
    • Brawler – Befuddling Blow (Ex): For three rounds the brawler may make a dazing strike as a free action against any any target he confirms a critical against.
    • Gladiator – Stunning Master (Ex): For three rounds the gladiator may add his shield's enhancement bonus to the save DC of his dazing bash attacks.
    • Sentinel – Interposing Shield (Ex): For three rounds all attacks against the sentinel and his ward suffer a 20% miss chance.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-08 at 02:15 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Brief thing: I was looking over the options for a spellblade, and I am noticing that many different combat only classes are super good for the spellblade.

Maybe it should be able take them and have a very restricted casting list that all "combat" archetypes grant, and *maybe* even a default capstone if you didn't want to make a capstone for each archetype...

Or maybe I'm loopy. I could just be loopy.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

While that may be true, Spellblade is a Magic class, not a Combat class. I'd prefer to not give it access to the Combat archetypes for both balance reasons and the reasons I mentioned just a few posts back concerning the Spellblade and Zealot.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Well, that's all well and fine. The Spellblade is Magic after all. But it sure feels like a combat class.

Are there still only 9 base classes?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, there are only nine base classes, three of each type.

And Spellblade is meant to feel like a Combat class. It just isn't one. It's a highly combat focused Magic class.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-05-08 at 02:35 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Spellcasting capstones for the Trapsmith
    Spoiler
    Show
    Capstone: A trapsmith adds one additional option to his class' capstone ability.
    • Augur - Spring Trap (Sp): As a standard action, the auger may claim any one trap he is aware of. He may then trigger the trap remotely as an immediate action.
    • Magus - Trap Rune (Sp): The magus may convert a prepared spell into a trap rune. This requires an amount of time equal to the casting time of the spell and expends the spell slot. The trap ruin may be placed on any surface and is activated by passing though the 5' space. The magus may set conditions on the activation based on simple factors (race, size, etc.) Once triggered the spell goes off as is cast, targeting the triggering creature with the square it was placed on as the point of origin. If the spell requires an attack roll, use the magus's BAB and attack modifiers. Spells with target 'you' may not be triggered by anyone other than the magus.
    • Spellblade - Eldritch Trap (Su): The spellblade may place a tactical trap anywhere within range of his eldritch blast as a standard action, dealing eldritch blast damage to any creature occupying the targeted space.

Also edited in two more feats above.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-08 at 03:18 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Magnus: puts fireball trap down, does it aoe or only affect the o e square?

Is the tactical traps list missing?

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darklink_shadow View Post
    Is the tactical traps list missing?
    Yes, it is.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Hey Rizban, out of curiosity how many backgrounds/archetypes are you planning on having? I like the variety and these are some interesting options, but I'm wondering about people who might be new to the game being overwhelmed by options.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

I would like to have around 10 for each type of class plus about 5 generic archetypes available to all. Archetypes that count for more than one class type count as such in the total, so there are going to be fewer than 35.

I feel like the Combat archetypes are pretty well fleshed out, and I'd like to move on toward the other class types.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

A couple of rewrites for submitted material:
    Well, here is an idea I had, obviously inspired by the paladin. Couldn't think of an appropriate capstone for the gladiator.

Holy Warrior
    Spoiler
    Show
    The holy warrior compliments his combat expertise with the ability to heal his allies and shrug off harmful mental effects.

Prerequisites: Holy Warrior is available to any Combat class.
    Holy Warrior Skills: A Holy Warrior gains Knowledge (Religion) as a class skill if he does not already possess it.
    Holw Warrior Proficiencies: A Holy Warrior gains no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Holy Warrior Features
    Lesser Archetype Power
    • Courage (Ex): You are immune to fear effects
    • Lay on Hands (Su): You may use a standard action to heal damage on any creature you touch. You must make a touch attack if you wish to use this ability on an unwilling creature. You may heal a total of 5 points of damage per class level each day, divided as you choose between uses.

Moderate Archetype Power
    • Deny Temptation (Ex): You are immune to charm effects.
    • Restore Strength (Su): You may use your Lay on Hands ability to remove ability damage, ability drain, and negative levels. You must expend 5 points of healing for each point of ability damage, ability drain, or negative level removed.

Greater Archetype Power
    • Divine Instrument (Ex): You are immune to compulsion effects.
    • Cleanse (Su): You may use your Lay on Hands ability to remove any fear, charm, or compulsion effect ona a creature. This includes removing the shaken, frightened, and panicked condition. You may also remove any other effect that could be removed by a Remove Curse Spell. You must expend 10 points of healing for each effect removed this way.

Capstone: A Holy Warrior adds one additional option to her class' capstone ability.
    • Brawler – Smite (Ex): You may ignore the rolled damage for a single successful attack and instead use the maximum possible amount.
    • Gladiator – Capstone Ability Name (Ex/Su/Sp): Description.
    • Sentinel – Reprieve(Su): You may use your Lay on Hands ability to prevent damage or an effect that would be inflicted on your ward. This requires you to expend the same amount of healing as it would take to remove that damage or effect with your Lay on Hands ability.

Design Note
    Spoiler
    Show
    I realize that the lay on hands pool is a bit big. Considering that two of his other abilities draw on it and the remainder are very passive and conditional, I think that is alright. Also, I purposefully left out any alignment requirements or a code of conduct. I feel this makes the archetype more adaptable to a given playgroup, allowing for a greater variety of interesting characters, and it can be fluffed to suit.
    Templar
    Spoiler
    Show
    A powerful warrior, the templar fights in the service of his god.

Prerequisites: Templar is available only to Combat classes.
    Archetype Skills: A templar gains Knowledge (religion) as a class skill if he does not already possess it.
    Archetype Proficiencies: A templar gains no additional armor or weapon proficiencies.

Archetype Features
    Lesser Archetype Power
    • Alignment: A templar must be strongly aligned to a particular deity, striving to live up to that deity's ideal. The templar's alignment must be within one step of his chosen deity's alignment.
    • Channeling (Su): By channeling motes of energy, a zealot is able to create a range of effects.
      • Smite: At 1st level, a templar can channel motes of energy to bring divine judgment against his enemies. As part of a melee attack, a templar bay spend 1 mote as a free action. He adds his Charisma modifier (if positive) to his attack roll and deals an extra 1d6 smite damage per two templar levels, rounded up.
        Smite bonuses may only be used against an opponent who has an alignment component which is opposed to one of the templar's. For example, a Lawful Good templar can only smite enemies who are Evil or Chaotic or both. If a templar accidentally smites a creature of the wrong alignment, the smite has no effect, but the mote is still used.
      • Invigorating Touch: At 3rd level, a templar becomes able to channel energy to heal himself and his allies. By spending 1 mote, he may cast cure light wounds as a supernatural ability. By spending 3 motes, he may remove any fear, charm, or compulsion effect or any effect that can be removed by a remove curse spell as a supernatural ability.
      • Restorative Touch: At 5th level, a templar can channel 2 motes to heal 1d6 ability damage, 1d4 ability drain, or 1 negative level from a target creature.
    • Motes/day: This ability is exactly as the Augur ability of the same name, except that his bonus motes are based on his Charisma score instead of his Wisdom score.
    • Courageous (Ex): A templar is immune to fear (magical or otherwise).

Moderate Archetype Power
    • Divine Grace (Su): A templar gains a bonus equal to his Charisma modifier (if positive) on all saving throws.
    • Divine Health (Ex): A templar gains immunity to all diseases, including supernatural and magical diseases.
    • Righteous Resolve (Su): A templar of at least 3rd level is immune to charm effects.

Greater Archetype Power
    • Inviolate Mind (Su): A 6th level templar is immune to compulsion and mind-affecting effects.

Capstone: A templar adds one additional option to his class' capstone ability.
    • Brawler – Brutal Smite (Su): If a brawler makes a successful critical hit when making a smite attack, the smite deals an additional 1d6 smite damage.
    • Gladiator – Smiting Maneuver (Su): If a gladiator makes a successful bull rush, disarm, overrun, or trip attack, the gladiator may spend 1 mote as a free action to deal smite damage to the target as though he hit with a normal melee attack.
    • Sentinel – Divine Warding (Su): For three rounds, the sentinel's ward adds the sentinel's Charisma modifier (if positive) to his saves as long as he remains within 5 feet of the sentinel.

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Hoplite
    Spoiler
    Show
    A warrior who knows that a shield is more than that just a bit of defense.

Prerequisites: Hoplite is available to any Combat class.
    Archetype Skills: An hoplite gains no additional class skills.
    Archetype Proficiencies: An hoplite gains proficiency with all shields if he does not already have it.

Archetype Features
    Lesser Archetype Power
    • Interposing Shield (Ex): The hoplite adds his BAB/2 (minimum 1) to the AC granted by his shield. Additional, all AC granted by his shield applies to touch AC.
    • Shield Slam (Ex): The hoplite may, as part of a full-attack action, make a bonus shield bash attack for each attack granted by his BAB at a -2 penalty. These attacks receive 1/2 STR to damage, but benefit from the shield's enhancement bonus, if any. No penalty is taken on his normal attacks. The hoplite retains his shield bonus.

Moderate Archetype Power
    • Pushing Shield (Ex): The hoplite does not provoke attacks of opportunity when making bullrush and overrun maneuver checks and may add the enhancement bonus of his shield to the check's result.
    • Dazing Bash(Ex): The hoplite may make a shield bash attack as a standard action. If the attack hits, the target must make a fort save or be dazed for 1 round. On a successful save the target is dazzled 1 round. The save DC is 10+level/2+Str. This attack deals normal damage.

Greater Archetype Power
    • Quick bash (Ex): The hoplite may now make a dazing bash as a move action, but cannot attempt more than one dazing bash per round.
    • Strong Arm (Ex): The hoplite may now add his full STR bonus to any shield bash attack.

Capstone: An hoplite adds one additional option to her class' capstone ability.
    • Brawler – Befuddling Blow (Ex): For three rounds the brawler may make a dazing strike as a free action against any any target he confirms a critical against.
    • Gladiator – Stunning Master (Ex): For three rounds the gladiator may add his shield's enhancement bonus to the save DC of his dazing bash attacks.
    • Sentinel – Interposing Shield (Ex): For three rounds all attacks against the sentinel and his ward suffer a 20% miss chance.

Hoplite
    Spoiler
    Show
    The hoplite is a warrior defined more by his shield than by his weapon.

Prerequisites: Hoplite is available only to Combat classes.
    Archetype Skills: A hoplite gains no additional class skills.
    Archetype Proficiencies: A hoplite gains proficiency with all shields (including tower shields) if he does not already possess it.

Archetype Features
    Lesser Archetype Power
    • Intervening Shield (Ex): As long as he is wielding a shield, the hoplite adds a deflection bonus to his AC equal to one half of his Base Attack Bonus, rounded down.
    • Shield Offensive (Ex): While wielding a light or heavy shield in one hand and a weapon in the other, a hoplite is treated as though he had the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites, allowing him to make shield bashes as either his primary or off-hand attack. While a shield is treated as a one-handed weapon for most purposes, a hoplite only takes two-weapon fighting penalties as though the shield were a light weapon.
      While wielding a tower shield, a hoplite may forgo his normal attacks and make a shield bash with his tower shield as though it were a two-handed weapon.

Moderate Archetype Power
    • Defensive Maneuvers (Ex): By thrusting his shield into his target, a hoplite learns to make bull rush and overrun attempts without provoking attacks of opportunity from his targets. He still provokes attacks of opportunity from others for movement as normal. Additionally, the hoplite adds any enhancement bonus on the shield to any opposed checks when making a bull rush or overrun attempt.
    • Stunning Bash (Ex): As a standard action, a hoplite may make a shield bash against a single enemy. If the attack hits, it deals damage as normal, and the target must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 hoplite level + shield's AC bonus) or become stunned for 1 round. A hoplite may make a number of stunning bashes per day equal to his hoplite level. A hoplite must declare that he is attempting a stunning bash before he rolls. If the attack misses, the daily use of stunning bash is not wasted.

Greater Archetype Power
    • Improved Shield Offensive (Ex): While wielding a light or heavy shield in one hand and a weapon in the other, a hoplite is treated as though he had the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites, allowing him to make two shield bashes as part of his full attack.
      While wielding a tower shield, a hoplite adds 2x his Strength modifier to shield bashes made with it rather than 1.5x as normal.

Capstone: A hoplite adds one additional option to his class' capstone ability.
    • Brawler – Befuddling Blow (Ex): As a swift action, a brawler who confirms a critical hit against an enemy may immediately declare that the attack was also a stunning bash, consuming one of his daily uses and affecting the target as if he declared he was making a stunning bash attempt before attacking.
    • Gladiator – Shield-Focused Maneuvers (Ex): For three rounds, a gladiator adds his shield's enhancement bonus to any combat maneuvers he uses his shield to perform.
    • Sentinel – Deflecting Shield (Ex): For three rounds, the sentinel reduces his shield's AC to 0. If he does so, all attacks against him suffer a 20% miss chance as he uses his shield to deflect all attacks against him.

Last edited by Rizban; 2013-05-08 at 11:13 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

24. - Top - End - #264

What do you think of this rewrite?

Templar
    Spoiler
    Show
    A powerful warrior, the templar fights in the service of his god.

Prerequisites: Templar is available only to Combat classes.
    Archetype Skills: A templar gains Knowledge (religion) as a class skill if he does not already possess it.
    Archetype Proficiencies: A templar gains no additional armor or weapon proficiencies.

Archetype Features
    Lesser Archetype Power
    • Alignment: A templar must be strongly aligned to a particular deity, striving to live up to that deity's ideal. The templar's alignment must be within one step of his chosen deity's alignment.
      • Smite: At 1st level, a templar can channel motes of energy to bring divine judgment against his enemies. As part of a melee attack, a templar bay spend 1 mote as a free action. He adds his Charisma modifier (if positive) to his attack roll and deals an extra 1d6 smite damage per two templar levels, rounded up.
        Smite bonuses may only be used against an opponent who has an alignment component which is opposed to one of the templar's. For example, a Lawful Good templar can only smite enemies who are Evil or Chaotic or both. If a templar accidentally smites a creature of the wrong alignment, the smite has no effect, but the mote is still used.
      • Invigorating Touch: At 3rd level, a templar becomes able to channel energy to heal himself and his allies. By spending 1 mote, he may cast cure light wounds as a supernatural ability. By spending 3 motes, he may remove any fear, charm, or compulsion effect or any effect that can be removed by a remove curse spell as a supernatural ability.
      • Restorative Touch: At 5th level, a templar can channel 2 motes to heal 1d6 ability damage, 1d4 ability drain, or 1 negative level from a target creature.
    • Courageous (Ex): A templar is immune to fear (magical or otherwise).

Moderate Archetype Power
    • Divine Grace (Su): A templar gains a bonus equal to his Charisma modifier (if positive) on all saving throws.
    • Divine Health (Ex): A templar gains immunity to all diseases, including supernatural and magical diseases.
    • Righteous Resolve (Su): A templar of at least 3rd level is immune to charm effects.

Greater Archetype Power
    • Inviolate Mind (Su): A 6th level templar is immune to compulsion and mind-affecting effects.

Capstone: A templar adds one additional option to his class' capstone ability.
    • Gladiator – Smiting Maneuver (Su): If a gladiator makes a successful bull rush, disarm, overrun, or trip attack, the gladiator may spend 1 mote as a free action to deal smite damage to the target as though he hit with a normal melee attack.
    • Sentinel – Divine Warding (Su): For three rounds, the sentinel's ward adds the sentinel's Charisma modifier (if positive) to his saves as long as he remains within 5 feet of the sentinel.

Okay. Well first I'll just say I'm not a fan of dnd's alignment system. That is of course a playstyle thing, and is really neither here nor there.

Secondly, I think I like your version better than mine. It's a bit busier, but not so busy as to be confusing. With that said I think that I would choose either this or the zealot, since they are so similar. Personally, I prefer the Templar. The Zealot just seemed to have a little TOO much going on. A combat archetype that gained a class' spellcasting mechanics, a spell list, AND the troubadour's aura along with his own special abilities just seemed a little much to digest. Although they do a lot of the same things, the execution on the Templar just seems to be a lot cleaner.

I think maybe you should create an alternate, smaller amount of motes gained for the zealot/templar. Getting the same amount as the augur seems to be stepping on his toes a bit. Also, at about 4+ level you're gonna be able to smite so often it won't even be special anymore.

That's my initial reaction. I've got something eating at the back of my mind. Perhaps I've missed something, or perhaps I've got a good idea. It could also just be a brain spider from the far realm. Regardless, I'll think on it more.

On an unrelated note. Duelist=shiny. Me likey.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

With that said I think that I would choose either this or the zealot, since they are so similar.
    That was the plan. Also one of the reason I haven't added either of them to the front page.

I think maybe you should create an alternate, smaller amount of motes gained for the zealot/templar. Getting the same amount as the augur seems to be stepping on his toes a bit. Also, at about 4+ level you're gonna be able to smite so often it won't even be special anymore.
    The Zealot
    {table=head]Channeling[div]Abilities[/div]|Inspiring Aura[div]Bonus/Range[/div]|Motes[div]/day[/div]|Spells[div]Known[/div]|Maximum Spell[div]Level Known[/div]
    Smite
    |
    -
    |
    |
    |
    |
    -
    |
    -
    |
    |
    |
    1st
    |
    Healing Touch
    |
    +1 / 10 ft
    |
    |
    |
    1st
    |
    -
    |
    +1 / 15 ft
    |
    |
    |
    1st
    |
    Vigor
    |
    +1 / 20 ft
    |
    |
    |
    1st
    |
    -
    |
    +1 / 25 ft
    |
    |
    |
    2nd
    |
    [/table]
    It was in the Zealot's spoiler and is less than half what an Augur gets. Templar would use approximately the same progression.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-05-08 at 11:24 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

26. - Top - End - #266

My mistake. I apologize for not looking more carefully. It's.......ummm, your fault. Yeah, that's it. The zealot just had so much going on that it blew my mind. It's not like I read the zealot and then the templar one after the other and just forgot about the chart or anything. Nothing like that at all.

I seriously do think that the spellcasting, aura, mote based special abilities, and passive special abilities do make it a little overly complicated though. However, I like the addition of being able to choose a single domain. In that way it is more adaptable as a Champion of XX, where as the Templar is more of a straight up Paladin.

BTW, I was looking through the domains and noticed that earth's second granted power seemed a bit underwhelming. Air gets a shorter duration, but instant activation freedom of movement, water gets a swim speed, fire gets fire resistance, and earth gets ........ stonecunning.
    Some suggestions:
    Tremorsense
    Perhaps a burrow speed, though that could be a gamerbreaker with soften earth and stone.
    The ability to move through difficult stone terrain and a bonus to climb stone.
    My first pick, Stone Tell once per day. I know it's kinda high level for an E6 game, but the effect isn't really all that powerful. It has a long casting time, only provides info, and isn't really a game breaker like many other divination spells.
    Last edited by Kerleth; 2013-05-09 at 12:19 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

I like the way you integrated tower shield into the hoplite. I hadn't thought of a sensible way to work them in and that bugged me. Little sad to see the move-action stun go away, but I suppose that was fairly powerful. Just using the two-weapon fighting mechanics is cleaner than what I wrote, though a touch less powerful. I approve of the whole package.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Caller
    Spoiler
    Show
    A wise mage knows the value of strength in numbers, calling aid in battle from other planes

Prerequisites: Caller is available to any Magic class.
    Archetype Skills: A caller gains Knowledge (Planes) and Knowledge (Nature) as class skills if he does not already possess them.
    Archetype Proficiencies: A caller gains gains no additional armor or weapon proficiencies.

Archetype Features
    Lesser Archetype Power
    • Mighty Summons (Su): The caller is granted the augment summoning feat as a bonus feat.
    • Enduring Allies (Su): All summon nature's ally and summon monster spells are automatically extended without increasing spell level or casting time.
    • Spontaneous call (Sp): A caller learns summon monster I-III as bonus spells at the appropriate levels. If the caller prepares spells, he may choose to sacrifice any other spell he has prepared to spontaneously cast one of these three spells. The sacrificed spell must be the same or higher level as the summon monster spell being cast. The caller knows and can prepare and cast these spells from memory and does not need to copy them into a spellbook if he uses one, and these spells do not count against his number of spells known.

Moderate Archetype Power
    • Loyal Servant (Sp): The caller receives an unseen servant, as the spell, with unlimited duration. If the unseen servant is dispelled or destroyed, he may call another as a standard action.
    • Expeditious Call (Sp): The caller may cast all summon nature's ally and summon monster spells as a standard action.

Greater Archetype Power
    • Summon Horde (Su): When calling multiple creatures with a summon nature's ally or summon monster spell, the caller gains one extra creature.

Capstone: An ArchetypeName adds one additional option to her class' capstone ability.
    • Auger – Great Call (Sp): The auger may spend one use of his spirit surge ability to cast Summon Monster IV.
    • Magus – Call of the Void (p): Tapping the dark knowledge of beyond, the magus may cast black tentacles.
    • Spellblade – Deadly Formation (Su): When casting a summon monster or summon nature's ally spell, the spellblade may cause it to deal his eldritch blast damage to all creatures adjacent to the space in which the creature forms. If summoning multiple creatures one must be chosen to benefit from this effect.

Red Mage Spell List
    Spoiler
    Show

0-Level
    • Acid Splash
    • Arcane mark
    • Dancing Lights
    • Detect Magic
    • Mage Hand
    • Mending
    • Prestidigitation
    • Read Magic

1st-level
    • Grease
    • Floating Disk
    • Mage Armor
    • Mount
    • Obscuring Mist
    • Summon Monster I
    • Summon Nature's Ally I
    • Unseen Servant

2nd-level
    • Acid Arrow
    • Darkness
    • Fog Cloud
    • Glitterdust
    • Gust of Wind
    • Summon Monster II
    • Summon Nature's Ally II
    • Summon Swarm
    • Web

3rd-level
    • Call Lightening
    • Haste
    • Helping Hand
    • Phantom Steed
    • Sleet Storm
    • Stinking Cloud
    • Summon Living Element
    • Summon Monster III
    • Shield
    • Summon Nature's Ally III
    • Wind Wall

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Chymist
    Spoiler
    Show
    Potions, poison, and explosives are the tools of the trade for the clever agent.

Prerequisites: Chymist is available to any Skillful class.
    Archetype Skills: An chymist gains craft (alchemy) and craft (poison) as a class skills if he does not already possess them.
    Archetype Proficiencies: A chymist gains no additional armor or weapon proficiencies.

Archetype Features
    Lesser Archetype Power
    • Alchemical Adept (Ex): A chymist may use craft (alchemy) as if possessing a caster level equal to his class level. Additionally, he gains a bonus on craft (alchemy) checks equal to his level.
    • Explosive Alchemy (Ex): A chymist may prepare, with one hour of work, up to his level plus his INT modifier alchemical vials. These vials may be used as thrown splash weapons, dealing 1d6 damage per class level to the target (no save) and 1 damage per level to all creatures within 5 ft (Ref save for half, DC = 10+1/2 class level + INT mod). The damage may be fire, cold, shock, or acid, chosen individually as they are prepared. These vials may be thrown as an attack action.
    • Toil and Trouble (Ex): the chemist gains brew potion as a bonus feat, using his class level in place of caster level. He may brew potions or oils as if he had the spell list of any spellcasting archetype, chosen for the day after resting (including one domain if choosing the priest archetype).
    • Poison Use (Ex): A chymist is never harms himself when applying poison to a weapon.

Moderate Archetype Power
    • Volatile Potions (Su): Each morning when preparing his explosive vials, the chemist may also brew up to his level in volatile potions. These potions have no cost, but become inert after 24 hrs, and have no sale value.
    • Selective Vials (Ex):When attacks with alchemical vials, the chymist may chose up to his INT modifier square to not be affected by the splash damage.

Greater Archetype Power
    • Accuracy (Ex): the chymist may chose which square is targeted when missing with a thrown splash weapon.
    • Advanced Vials(Ex): the chymist's volatile vials now affect all creatures within 10 ft of the target creature. The chymist may choose to make the vial deal force or sonic damage, but the splash range remains 5 ft.

Capstone: An chymist adds one additional option to her class' capstone ability.
    • Acrobat – Capstone Ability Name (Ex/Su/Sp): Description.
    • Expert – Insightful Detonation (Ex): For three rounds the Expert adds his INT modifier to volatile vial damage.
    • Troubadour – Capstone Ability Name (Ex/Su/Sp): Description.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-24 at 02:22 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

The Assassin capstone for the acrobat is confusingly worded.

Acrobat – Opportunistic Backstab (Ex): When an enemy provokes an attack of opportunity against the acrobat, he may make a Tumble check vs DC 15. If successful, he slips through his opponent's defenses and is able to apply sneak attack damage to the attack.

Maybe: When an enemy takes an attack of opportunity against the acrobat, the acrobat may...

Also, it is very similar to the acrobat's default capstone tuck and roll:

Tuck and Roll (Ex): As a move action, the acrobat can tumble through an opponent's square. If the acrobat avoids the opponent's attacks of opportunity for movement, she can treat that opponent as flat-footed against her next attack.

I suppose on close reading they are subtly different (OB applies sneak attack damage but doesn't flat-foot, doesn't require movement or have a specified action). Still, seems like it would be better to make it more unique, though I'm not sure what would be a better replacement.

Idea: Surprise Kick: When making a swinging kick, the acrobat can make a tumble check opposed by the target's reflex save. If successful, the target is flat-footed against the kick and the acrobat may execute a death attack as part of the kick as if he had studied the target for 3 rounds.

Edit - Also, the Mimic is now re-worked to use the focus system and have capstones. Let the people rejoice!
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-09 at 01:14 PM.