New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Afterlife

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Afterlife

Spoiler: Original Post
    Show
    For some of you, everything went wrong in an instant. The reactor should've been fine, but you saw some of your coworkers messing around near it right before it blew up. You can't remember who it was, but you know that you didn't die accidentally - this was sabotage. For some of you, everything went wrong gradually. You were sent to sabotage the reactor as insiders, but you're not exactly the most professional saboteurs. Too many mistakes, too many close calls almost getting caught, and it turns out you couldn't even delay the blast enough to all get out.

Now all of you are trapped in the power plant. The place is crawling with investigators and wannabe detectives of all kinds, trying to figure out what went wrong. And because you all felt some dire need to keep your name from being posthumously sullied, you have remained behind as phantoms to haunt the facility until the investigations are completed.

One of the teams investigating things are ghost-hunters, who seem convinced that some malevolent spirit is responsible for what went wrong. Worse, they're not complete loonies - they've got methods of communicating and exorcising ghosts that actually work. Every now and then, the ghostbusters will exorcise another of you, so now it's a race against the clock: can you point these wannabe polter-guys in the right direction to make sure justice is served, or will you fail and be blamed for the sabotage, with your living loved ones to bear the social consequences?

Spoiler: Rules
    Show
    Basic Mechanics
    This is a game of Werewolf/Mafia. It functions somewhat like "Among Us", if you are more familiar with that game.

Prior to the game starting, I will randomly assign roles to players from the lists below. The role you receive will define your win condition and what powers you have (if any). If you are a member of the scum team, you will start the game in secret contact with other members of scum team via a group QT, which you can use to discuss strategy without being discovered.

The game will start on a Day Phase; the first Day Phase will last 72 hours, while subsequent ones will last 48 hours. During any Day Phase, all players can vote for who they wish to "lynch" (remove from the game) that phase. Your vote is not set in stone once cast, and you can recast your vote at any time (or even unvote entirely), provided that the phase has not ended. To cast your vote, please bold and color in red the name of the person you wish to vote. It doesn't have to be their forum name proper, or some official "I vote [name]", as long as it's recognizable who you're voting and the formatting has been done.

At the end of the day phase, I'll tally votes, and declare how many votes each wagon received. Whichever wagon has the most votes is lynched and can no longer participate in the game publicly or privately (except for Dead Chat, where they can talk with me and anybody else who is already dead). I will then inform the other players of that person's role and alignment. If there was a tie between who had the most votes, the tie will be resolved randomly.

After a Day Phase ends, the game will shift to the Night Phase; all Night Phases will last 24 hours. If you possess a power that lets you target somebody during the Night Phase, this is the time to use it. During this time, the scum team will be able to select a non-scum player to be killed (as well as using whatever other powers they might have as well). After a Night Phase ends, the game will shift to the Day Phase once more.

This cycle will repeat until one of two things happens: either all members of one team or the other is eliminated, or the elimination of all members of one team is inevitable. For example, if you get to a Day Phase with 7 players left (3 town, 4 scum), town has basically already lost, and so a Mercy Rule will be invoked to call the game early instead of making everybody play through the next 120 hours.

QuickTopic

This community frequently employs the use of QuickTopic threads for games like this, in order to have private communication between players without the narrator's inbox getting filled up constantly. However, the overuse of QuickTopics by certain individuals (...me, I'm the one who's done this, primarily) has tended to result in them being the center of a great deal of the game's strategy rather than the main game thread, which 1) makes it difficult to gauge the game-state properly if 90% of the game is occurring in chats you're not in, and 2) makes it basically worthless to try and revisit the game later, since frequently only two QTs will get posted in the main thread (the wolf chat and the dead chat, typically).

So instead, in this game players are not allowed to create QTs by default. Every night, I as narrator will create up to [REDACTED] QTs, each connecting two random players. This will be identical to and indistinguishable from QTs set up by the Medium and similar roles (see Roles below).

Additionally, you may not share a QT link with anybody else, publicly or privately. If you are on scumteam and you get put into a QT with somebody else, you can tell scumteam about it, including the complete contents of the QT if you like, but you cannot share the QT link. Breaking this rule will result in a narrator-kill where you are immediately sent to the Dead Chat and unable to take part in the game going forward.

Finally, you are not allowed to alias within any QTs. Your name in a QT should clearly indicate to others reading it who sent the message. If a post is made that I feel doesn't properly communicate who is posting it, I will delete the post and explain why it was deleted. Repeated violations by a particular individual will result in a narrator-kill as above.

Narrator Confirmation

Narrator confirmation of things will be limited, but the narrator will not lie to you; if you are told a thing by the narrator (such as a death reveal, or an answer on a power interaction), it will be the truth. With that being said:

1) There will be no powers that screw with vote totals in this game. The process and results of the lynch shall be sacred and public.

2) There is a bastard mechanic centered around QTs, but I won't specify what it is until the game is over.

Roles

Most people will not have powers of any kind. Most power roles will not be defined here, and the one that is has redacted information.

Medium
    You are among the living, but you are particularly attuned to the spirits of those who have passed on, and can communicate with them to an extent.
    You are Neutral aligned. Your win condition does not care about the current gamestate, or your own status among the living. Your win condition is [REDACTED].

Every night, you may target two players. You may select yourself as one of the targets, if you wish. I will create a conversation QT named "Afterlife: [target 1] / [target 2]", and privately post a link to that QT in the personal QTs of target 1, target 2, and the Medium. You are allowed to talk in this QTs, if you wish. If the two targets already have a conversation QT between them, your power fails. [REDACTED].

Player List:
    1. Apogee1
    2. Aventine
    3. Batcathat
    4. Book Wombat
    5. bladescape
    6. CaoimhinTheCape
    7. EmmyNecromancer
    8. gac3
    9. Murska
    10. rogue_alchemist
    11. Snowblaze
    12. Supagoof
    13. Xihirli

PMs are being sent out. Once this thread is active and PMs have been received and confirmed, I'll get Day 1 started. Don't post here until I post the start of Day 1.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Afterlife

The dust is still settling, and already the ruins are crawling with threats. You must find the ones among you that caused this disaster and make them pay.

Day 1 Begins Now

Day 1 will end in approximately 72 hours.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Random vote to Aventine. I wish everyone a good game! I'll probably won't be able to post much as I'm on a trip.
    Every day...

Discord: bookwhyrm, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Batcathat before they screw me over again.

(I have WiFi, so I won't be quite as inactive as I feared.)
    Last edited by Snowblaze; 2021-08-10 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Bolding vote
    I'm writing stuff, come and read it!
    Werewolf games won: 24
    Werewolf games lost: 14
    Games as town: 23.5
    Games as neutral: 5.5
    Games as wolf: 9
    Games narrated: 1
    Deaths: 17

Extended Signature

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowblaze View Post
    I want to disagree with this but we kind of have screwed each other over in the last couple of games, haven't we? (Okay, so "can't be converted to my cult" isn't really something you can or should be blamed for but still. )

Voting for someone who screwed me over does seem more fun than randomly so let's go with Book Wombat.
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2021-08-12 at 03:54 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Somebody's got to do it, so it might as well be me. I blame Xihirli. Statistically speaking, it is usually her fault.
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2021-08-11 at 09:44 AM. Reason: made it bold

7. - Top - End - #7

Apogee1 for no good reason but to have a vote out there.

Vote Count

Aventine (1): Book Wombat
    Batcathat (1): Snowblaze
    Book Wombat (1): Batcathat
    Xihirli (1): rogue_alchemist
    Apogee1 (1): CaoimhinTheCape

No posts: Apogee1, Aventine, bladescape, EmmyNecromancer, gac3, Murska, Supagoof, Xihirli

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    The game will start on a Day Phase; the first Day Phase will last 72 hours, while subsequent ones will last 48 hours. During any Day Phase, all players can vote for who they wish to "lynch" (remove from the game) that phase. Your vote is not set in stone once cast, and you can recast your vote at any time (or even unvote entirely), provided that the phase has not ended. To cast your vote, please bold and color in red the name of the person you wish to vote. It doesn't have to be their forum name proper, or some official "I vote [name]", as long as it's recognizable who you're voting and the formatting has been done.
    How strict are you going to be on the voting requirement here? Do the votes below not count because they aren't bold?

(I have WiFi, so I won't be quite as inactive as I feared.)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    Somebody's got to do it, so it might as well be me. I blame Xihirli. Statistically speaking, it is usually her fault.
    Last edited by CaoimhinTheCape; 2021-08-10 at 06:56 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Wow - first game back and y'all get right to pointing. Um - Snowblaze? - only because of the vote for Batcathat didn't get an auto - "I'll retaliate and vote right back at you" response which indicates some sort of cohesion between the two, but flimsy logic on my part at best.
    I'm usually late to the party, but it's a great time when I get there....
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legionary of Protection
    The Legion, endures....
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex-kat View Post
    It wasn't that easy. Supagoof's just that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    This is LLD, which, I shouldn't have to tell you, will not bow to your math because it was DESIGNED to ruin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Summary:
    Supagoof has won the game and withdrawn. He was Epic

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Voting for someone who screwed me over does seem more fun than randomly so let's go with Book Wombat.
    Hey, it's not my fault you chose to be cult .
    Every day...

Discord: bookwhyrm, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Wow - first game back and y'all get right to pointing. Um - Snowblaze? - only because of the vote for Batcathat didn't get an auto - "I'll retaliate and vote right back at you" response which indicates some sort of cohesion between the two, but flimsy logic on my part at best.
    Current meta is that people vote early to get discussion going (after a bit) and it theoretically helps us out more later in the game. I wouldn't necessarily expect BatCat to give Snow a vote right back but that's not to say they aren't working together.

Also, it's usually/used to be seen as scummy to post vote counts apparently (cheap townie points for not doing much) but I showed up and started doing them. I'll post them as town or scum so it really doesn't indicate much.

Vote Count

Snowblaze (1): Supagoof

No posts: Apogee1, Aventine, bladescape, EmmyNecromancer, gac3, Murska, Xihirli

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Heya Supagoof. Been a while.

I'll join you in voting out Snowblaze. Clearly they had something to do with why the reactor malfunctioned.
    Last edited by Murska; 2021-08-12 at 03:37 AM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CaoimhinTheCape View Post
    How strict are you going to be on the voting requirement here? Do the votes below not count because they aren't bold?
    I'll probably count them, but I'd really rather they were bolded. Red matters more than bolding, in that if it's not red I can't even be sure it's meant to be a vote, but bolding helps it stand out more and makes me far less likely to miss it.

My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Supagoof for thinking not doing "OMGUS" is suspicious when this community has taught me that OMGUS is very suspicious or at least vote worthy.
    Last edited by gac3; 2021-08-10 at 11:17 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

But the only reason you'd try to avoid doing suspicious-looking things is if you're evil, so if you don't do suspicious things that makes you very suspicious.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

But the only reason you'd try to avoid doing suspicious-looking things is if you're evil, so if you don't do suspicious things that makes you very suspicious.
    What if you just aren't doing suspicious things? And instead are just a fairy who never seems suspicious. (Not at all me. I'm always very suspicious.)

- - - Updated - - -

To put some actual thought out into our 72 hours, I wonder, what do people think the ratio is? Do we think there are neutrals?

It's what 12 people?... No 13? So maybe 9-3-1? Or what do people think?

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    Supagoof for thinking not doing "OMGUS" is suspicious when this community has taught me that OMGUS is very suspicious or at least vote worthy.
    If this is a serious accusation then I'm going to hard disagree, Supagoof at least hasn't played since I joined so going against our meta isn't a tell.

To put some actual thought out into our 72 hours, I wonder, what do people think the ratio is? Do we think there are neutrals?

It's what 12 people?... No 13? So maybe 9-3-1? Or what do people think?
    13 players in a standard game? I'd lean toward having 1 Neutral (the medium) or less likely 3 Neutrals (Medium, town-aligned Neutral, scum-aligned Neutral).

9 to 3 (and the Medium) is probably right. Worst case scenario (town always loses a member) means LyLo at Day 3 (which is actually reasonable for this size I think).

That said, the setup for this game is that there are people who died and people who are living so I don't exactly know what to expect.

Vote Count

Snowblaze (2): Supagoof, Murska
    Supagoof (1): gac3

No posts: Apogee1, Aventine, bladescape, EmmyNecromancer, Xihirli

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

It isn't serious accusation, but I don't have much to go on yet. Hence my figuring we could discuss something. Since based on that list nearly half the players haven't posted.

Wait... I need to reread the rules because I'm not entirely following. Are the dead people the wolves?

- - - Updated - - -

Ah... I don't think I'd read the fluff part yet. I see now. For some reason I thought I knew the theme of this game and it wasn't this. Idk why I thought it was something different. This is what I get for waiting until games start to read the information.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    Somebody's got to do it, so it might as well be me.
    They say do what you’re good at, and I’m good at this. But I wouldn’t do it for free.

This is my job; I’m no chemist
    But I’ll kill rogue_alchemist
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2021-08-12 at 12:14 PM.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

19. - Top - End - #19

Now Xih here, this reactor situation kinda blows.

- - - Updated - - -

OMGUS tells are a rubber band. They always circle around each other. Also Supa isn't wolf for that post.
    Last edited by bladescape; 2021-08-11 at 07:15 PM.
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Good news: I have time to post.

Bad news: I don't have much to contribute. Any time I can find a wolfread I immediately find a counter-argument.

Minor town points to Caoimhin for pointing out the thing about bolding votes (and also thank you for reminding me, I knew there was probably something I'd forgotten.)

@Supagoof why did you choose to vote for me over Batcathat?
    I'm writing stuff, come and read it!
    Werewolf games won: 24
    Werewolf games lost: 14
    Games as town: 23.5
    Games as neutral: 5.5
    Games as wolf: 9
    Games narrated: 1
    Deaths: 17

Extended Signature

21. - Top - End - #21

Mostly posting to update the votecount, as I don't have anything super important to say.

For now, neither the Snow wagon nor Xi wagon is one I care to get behind. Neither give off a particularly scummy vibe (it's Day 1, but still). I guess I'll move to Aventine so that we can have another wagon in the running.

Vote Count

Aventine (2): Book Wombat, CaoimhinTheCape
    Xihirli (2): rogue_alchemist, bladescape
    Snowblaze (2): Supagoof, Murska
    Supagoof (1): gac3
    rogue_alchemist (1): Xihirli

No posts: Apogee1, Aventine, EmmyNecromancer
    Last edited by CaoimhinTheCape; 2021-08-11 at 08:11 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Is it a wagon if it's got two votes? Asking for a friend.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Yeah, wagon is probably too strong a word. I just want my vote to be more helpful/have it be more meaningful and being the only person sitting on someone isn't doing much. I don't particularly want to push Xi or Snow up to 3 votes yet though.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Too busy to be particularly talkative today.

I'll toss a vote on Snowblaze though.

Not sure why you'd not want to push someone to 3 yet?
    Last edited by Aventine; 2021-08-12 at 06:25 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

@Supagoof why did you choose to vote for me over Batcathat?
    Because I didn't want to start a bandwagon of course.

Also - who's OMGUS? (Not on the player list....) Or is that some acronym I'm not familiar with? (It's been about a decade since I last played. )

@V - Oh, a purely spiteful vindictive vote. Gotcha.
    Last edited by Supagoof; 2021-08-10 at 11:19 AM.
    I'm usually late to the party, but it's a great time when I get there....
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legionary of Protection
    The Legion, endures....
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex-kat View Post
    It wasn't that easy. Supagoof's just that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    This is LLD, which, I shouldn't have to tell you, will not bow to your math because it was DESIGNED to ruin it!
    Summary:
    Supagoof has won the game and withdrawn. He was Epic

26. - Top - End - #26

Because I didn't want to start a bandwagon of course.

Also - who's OMGUS? (Not on the player list....) Or is that some acronym I'm not familiar with? (It's been about a decade since I last played. )
    it is an acronym OMG yoU Suck! as in, I am going to vote for you because you voted for me is an OMGUS vote.

EDIT: And more is coming, this was just the easiest to respond to.
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2021-08-10 at 11:13 AM. Reason: updating more.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
    Too busy to be particularly talkative today.

I'll toss a vote on Snowblaze though.

Hmmm... Interesting point... Aventine.

- - - Updated - - -

Question:

I know some parts of the Medium were redacted but based on what's available, if they are in here (which I assume they would be) should they reveal themselves? They don't seem overly bothersome to either side? But maybe the redacted is something bad?
    Last edited by gac3; 2021-08-11 at 05:54 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
    Just felt like I should have more of a reason to jump on someone with 2 votes. Not a lot of logic to that, but ehh.

Question:

I know some parts of the Medium were redacted but based on what's available, if they are in here (which I assume they would be) should they reveal themselves? They don't seem overly bothersome to either side? But maybe the redacted is something bad?
    It entirely depends on the win condition. We don't know if the Medium would work better in secret or not.

Even not knowing that, not sure if Medium claiming would help town or wolves. Town knows one person they shouldn't lynch but Wolves know someone they shouldn't shoot.

So, I guess my opinion would be that Medium shouldn't claim but it's not terrible if they do.

Vote Count

Aventine (3): Book Wombat, CaoimhinTheCape, gac3
    Xihirli (2): rogue_alchemist, bladescape
    Snowblaze (3): Supagoof, Murska, Aventine
    rogue_alchemist (1): Xihirli

No posts: Apogee1, EmmyNecromancer

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm... Based on the opening post, unless something special is missing from the redacted, I'd guess the win on is similar to the QT one I made in the Percy Jackson game

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Wombat, any thoughts on your random vote gaining traction?
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!