New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default 7/5 casting prestige class?! (WiP) (PEACH)

Over-Dedicated Scholar
    Prerequisites: ability to cast 2nd Level spells, spell craft (5 ranks), concentration (13 ranks)
    HD: d1
    {table]Level|BaB|Ref save|Fort save|will save|Spell Casting|special
    1|+0|-0|-0|+0|+1 level of existing spell casting class|Heavy Study
    2|+1|-0|-0|+0|+2 level of existing spell casting class|Lost Time, Weakened Body
    3|+1|-1|-1|+1|+1 level of existing spell casting class|Scholar's Memory
    4|+2|-1|-1|+1|+2 level of existing spell casting class|Over Study, Colapsing Magic
    5|+2|-1|-1|+1|+1 level of existing spell casting class|Heaven's Spellbook[/table]
    Skills: 2+Int skill points per level
    Concentration (con), knowledge (any) (Int), Profession (wis), search (int), spellcraft (int)

Proficiencies: The Over-Dedicated Scholar gains no new proficiencies with any weapons or armor.

Spellcasting: Any levels in Over-Dedicated Scholar stack with existing spellcasting classes when determining spells known/castable per day, as well as caster level, and what spell levels he has access to. the second and fourth levels of Over-Dedicated Scholar count as double for these purposes. this does not stack with any other class features, and only stacks with one class.

Heavy Study: The Over-Dedicated Scholar gains one extra spell known or castable per day for each spell level he has access to. This comes at the cost that both these new spells available and one other spell are only castable at half his total caster level. He may gain a new spell like this for each level, or he may decline this bonus for an individual level.

Lost Time: The Over-Dedicated Scholar has spent copious amounts of time on his studies. Time he will never get back. he loses one point of Str and Dex each permanently, having not used his muscles for some time.

Weakened Body: The Over-Dedicated Scholar may not use a standard action in the same turn as a move action, and vice versa. they may trade one in for the other, if they are able from other sources (such as being able to trade a standard action for a move action to run).

Scholar's Memory: The Over-Dedicated Scholar gains a +3 untyped bonus to knowledge checks attempting to learn the history of any place, object, or creature.

Over Study: The Over-Dedicated Scholar spends more time studying that much else. Each day, he must spend three extra hours studying or resting in the proccess of preparing his spells, or be as if fatigued for the whole day, taking a -2 penelty to Str and Dex, and being unable to run or charge. This may stack to become exhausted if too much exertion is spent.

Colapsing Magic: The Over-Dedicated Scholar must take a full round action to cast a spell in his top two levels availible. this includes spells altered by metamagic.

Heaven's Spellbook: The Over-Dedicated Scholar gains knowledge of a multitude of spells beyond his power. Once per day, the Over-Dedicated Scholar may cast a spell up to 3 levels higher than his highest spell slot, including level increases through metamagic. This does not affect Colapsing Magic.

4th level is a "dead level", but seeing as it GAINS spellcasting levels, that other prestige classes seem to lose frequently, it balances that out. seems over powered to me, mainly due to Gained Power. may remove that one and move scholars memory to 3rd. I could throw in more penalties to balance it all out... in fact, I'd like to.
    Meant to be taken after other prestige classes, where caster levels are lost. or, alternatively, to get 9th level spells even sooner.
    thoughts? suggestions? flames? penalties I could use?

Edit: see post here for changes. more posts may be linked later.
    Last edited by flabort; 2010-08-04 at 09:08 AM.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: 7/5 casting prestige class?! (WiP) (PEACH)

So you made a PrC that, by design, is a straight upgrade over normal casters, which are already all the strongest classes in the game? I just don't understand why you would do such a thing.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

1st: make it where you cannot get in unless you have lost caster levels or where the extra caster levels cannot get you casting at above your Hit Dice or something. Getting 9th level spells sooner is broken in oh so many ways.

2nd: even with +1/level casting this is significantly stronger than Wizard or Sorcerer, and actually have abilities that are better than the vast majority of prestige classes that cost levels of casting (although that's not saying much). I'd definitely remove Heaven's Spellbook as it is quite powerful and probably put off the 2nd +2 level till 5th. I'd also be worried about Heavy Study, either make it all or nothing or remove it. I can understand the desire to give them some abilities and avoid dead levels but with enhanced casting that's already more than enough.

Now as for penalties you could give them...
    I don't really know, this is hard...
    I'd give them d1 hit dice (or d0) although that is only -1.5 hp/level and not much of a penalty.
    I'd also go the Survivor route and give them absolutely 0 BAB bonus.
    Then at Lv 2 or 4 I'd probably give them some ability like...
    Magic Vulnerability: Suffers a -2 on saves versus spells and spell-like abilities. Any SR they possess is reduced by 5.

I hope this helps, I'd still put some penalty at Lv 4 too.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Nothing can balance this class - not even negative HD or BAB. It's like negative LA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

It needs full BAB, d10 or d12 HD (I'd say d12), and an expanded skill list/more skill points.
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edea View Post
    It needs full BAB, d10 or d12 HD (I'd say d12), and an expanded skill list/more skill points.
    Only then will it be competitive with Lightning Warrior.
    Last edited by Redshirt Army; 2010-07-30 at 10:36 PM.
    Disclaimer: Above message may contain inanity, irrelevant silliness, and/or madness. Viewer Discretion is Advised.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Redshirt Army View Post
    Only then will it be competitive with Lightning Warrior.
    No, the only way to make it compete with the Lightning Warrior is to give it a familiar. Or a second one if the character already has one.

ON topic: Yeah... This doesn't really work. I think Milskidasith hit the nail on the head: What is the point of this class? If it can be balanced (which I doubt), It would require massive penalties.

8. - Top - End - #8

You have got to be kidding me. This is even better than incantatrix. More like it should have 2/5 progression instead of 5/5.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

This might be an interesting concept if you limited it to half-casters, like the paladin or ranger. Otherwise, it's absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    And two out of three leading anthropomorphic personifications of death agree on the matter.
    Happy to be PMed for rants about stuff, lousy jokes, challenges to a duel because I impugned your honour in that restaurant last night. Look, how was I supposed to know it'd fly that far?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Here's my PEACH...

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Over-Dedicated Scholar
    Sounds like the Loremaster class, but I'll continue.

Prerequisites: ability to cast 2nd Level spells, spell craft (5 ranks)
    That's incredibly lax for PrC requirements. This means you can enter the class with a 3rd level wizard What aren't any knowledges on here? It seems fitting for a scholar (and is super required for loremaster).

One other thing: can you take this class as a sorc? I can't imagine why a sorc would be a over-dedicated scholar fluff-wise. Sound too wizard-y to me.

HD: d4
    Makes sense

table
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Level|BaB|Ref save|Fort save|will save|Spell Casting|special
    1|+0|+0|+0|+0|+1 level of existing spell casting class|Heavy Study
    2|+1|+0|+0|+0|+2 level of existing spell casting class|Scholar's Memory
    3|+1|+1|+1|+1|+1 level of existing spell casting class|Gained Power
    4|+2|+1|+1|+1|+2 level of existing spell casting class|
    5|+2|+1|+1|+1|+1 level of existing spell casting class|Heaven's Spellbook[/table]
    You're going to have a hard time convincing me that this class has bad will. Also, I'll get to why I think 7/5 casting is a bad idea.

Skills: 2+Int skill points per level
    Concentration (con), knowledge (any) (Int), Profession (wis), search (int), spellcraft (int)
    no craft? no descipher script?

Proficiencies: The Over-Dedicated Scholar gains no new proficiencies with any weapons or armor.
    makes sense.

Spellcasting: Any levels in Over-Dedicated Scholar stack with existing spellcasting classes when determining spells known/castable per day, as well as caster level, and what spell levels he has access to. the second and fourth levels of Over-Dedicated Scholar count as double for these purposes.
    I assume you've going to put in the "this doesn't stack with other class abilities" clause later. Also, the "can only advance one casting class" should be here too.

As people have vaguely pointed out, giving more than one spellcasting level per level is a bad plan. It's basically like taking two levels of wizard at that point, and mind you, wizard is one of the most versatile/powerful classes in the game. Giving a free tier of spells means that the caster gets his newer more annoying/disabling spells sooner. And the worst part is the only setback from this class is a 2-3 from the will save and a free wizard feat.

Heavy Study: The Over-Dedicated Scholar gains one extra spell known or castable per day for each spell level he has access to. This comes at the cost that both these new spells available and one other spell are only castable at half his total caster level. He may gain a new spell like this for each level, or he may decline this bonus for an individual level.
    Please clarify; I am confused by the wording. What are the drawbacks for accepting another spell at a given spell level? By the wording, it suggests that if I do accept the bonus spell, then it and one other spell (I assume you mean the same level) get their CL halved.

Back to the actual point, there are spells which the class could prepare that could really care less about the caster's CL. Examples include web, grease, solid fog, basically any spell that ignores SR and isn't CL dependant on effects (so fireball is out). (They are easily dispelable, however, but still, free spells!)

Scholar's Memory: The Over-Dedicated Scholar gains a +3 untyped bonus to knowledge checks attempting to learn the history of any place, object, or creature.
    So, he gets a +3 to knowledge(history) then?

Gained Power: The Over-Dedicated Scholar is able to use metamagic at a reduced cost. He may apply one free level of metamagic to his spells, at the penalty that he must cast that spell at half caster level. This stacks with Heavy Study, so that a spell may be forced to be cast at one quarter caster level.
    This can actually be really good. Grab silent spell so that you can spont cast silent dim. doors in case of emergency. Quickened spells like web and grease are also good candidates.

Heaven's Spellbook: The Over-Dedicated Scholar gains knowledge of a multitude of spells beyond his power. Once per day, the Over-Dedicated Scholar may cast a spell up to 3 levels higher than his highest spell slot, including metamagic.
    Heaven? What if I'm CE? I don't see what heaven has anything to do with the class.

Also, as if 2 more spell levels weren't good enough, Once per day you can cast up to 3 levels higher? Is this 3 caster levels, or 3 spell levels? Still, it's WAY too good. Let's take a wizard4/your-class5. He is an effective wizard 11, meaning he can cast 6th level spells. That is way too good as is, but depending on the wording from this feature, he can cast a 7th level as a 14th level wizard (see: forcecage), or a 9th level spell (see: gate).

As is, every caster (hell, why was I assuming you could only do this with arcane classes; let's archivist it up!) who has his eyes affixed to power is going to take this class 100% of the time. The 2 extra levels of casting is simply way too powerful, and the capstone means that they are perilously close to being able to cast game-breaking 9th level spells.

end PEACH
    Last edited by Stompy; 2010-07-30 at 11:11 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Side issue: consider the interactions of Heaven's Spellbook and Extra Slot. Now you have a spell slot two higher than you can normally cast.

I'd also like to join the chorus stating that this is too good.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tinydwarfman View Post
    You have got to be kidding me. This is even better than incantatrix. More like it should have 2/5 progression instead of 5/5.
    2/5 casting would be worthless. The class features are rather poor; one per day metamagic, dropping your caster level by a ton to get a worse version of incantatrix's capstone, and more spells known in exchange for permanent, crippling CL penalties. The only useful feature, besides the one per day superspell, is the fast caster progression and the fact it's free, and maybe that you can grab an extra spell that doesn't need CL as a sorc.

This is 7/5 casting, by the way.

Yes, the superspell is very good, but at one/day, it's not worth giving up three caster levels for when all you can do is meta stuff up at higher levels. At low levels, it lets you access powerful stuff earlier, but sorcerers don't know higher level spells (without other cheese), so only wizards get the full gamebreaking benefit, and.... meh. At mid levels, it's a huge buff, but one higher level spell is unlikely to be worth three lost caster levels even then, and certainly not when it's just a bit of extra MM on one spell per day.
    Last edited by Milskidasith; 2010-07-30 at 11:13 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Perhaps include as a requirement that you must have "lost" at least 2 caster levels? Then you could take this to get back to 20/20 casting.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Merk View Post
    Perhaps include as a requirement that you must have "lost" at least 2 caster levels? Then you could take this to get back to 20/20 casting.
    So a free to enter PrC that lets you ignore the weaknesses of other PrCs (whether it's necessary or not, depending on what class loses caster levels) and gives some powerful, if not gamechanging, features? That's still overpowered.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Which is why I said to remove Heaven's Spellbook and Heavy Study and limit it to characters that had lost casting way back at the 3rd post. Suggested a weakness to give it too.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

OK, some of these suggestions work really well.

I am going to:
    Remove the free metamagic
    give it d1 HD
    clarify that spellcasting doesn't stack with other class abilities, and only one class.
    move scholars memory to 3rd
    add "lost time" at 2nd (str and dex penalty due to loss of practice)
    negative ref and fort saves, still at poor values.
    Add "over study" at 4th, giving him constantly fatiuged status, stacks with other sources of that status.

Although the have been suggested (thanks!), I am not going to:
    make it require a caster level 2 levels below current HD
    make it 2/5 casting (it's purpose is to be opposite of that)

Just to clarify, the purpose is to give casters behind in levels extra chances to catch up, and to give straight casters, such as wizards, 9th level spells faster, at major disadvantages, having studied too long.
    And yes, sorcerers may take this. I see no reason why a sorcerer might not spend a lifetime gaining new magics, so that he may be more versitile.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

OK, some of these suggestions work really well.

I am going to:
    Remove the free metamagic
    give it d1 HD
    clarify that spellcasting doesn't stack with other class abilities, and only one class.
    move scholars memory to 3rd
    add "lost time" at 2nd (str and dex penalty due to loss of practice)
    negative ref and fort saves, still at poor values.
    Add "over study" at 4th, giving him constantly fatiuged status, stacks with other sources of that status.

Although the have been suggested (thanks!), I am not going to:
    make it require a caster level 2 levels below current HD
    make it 2/5 casting (it's purpose is to be opposite of that)

Just to clarify, the purpose is to give casters behind in levels extra chances to catch up, and to give straight casters, such as wizards, 9th level spells faster, at major disadvantages, having studied too long.
    And yes, sorcerers may take this. I see no reason why a sorcerer might not spend a lifetime gaining new magics, so that he may be more versitile.
    Yeah, here's your problem. You don't do that. EVER. Personally I feel the original class would be about splitting even with a straight wizard at 3/5, and a fair bit better at 4/5. But yes, I was over-reacting before when I said 2/5. I just do that when I see "-1 to all metamagics". Its a broken ability.

No amount of disadvantages can bring down 7/5 casting (except maybe losing actions), because at high levels, a wizard could have 2 HP and still do just fine.
    Last edited by Tinydwarfman; 2010-07-31 at 09:41 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Losing actions? did you say losing actions?
    PERFECT!
    I will put that on, soon. although, I just did a block of editing, and will wait a bit before doing that.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tinydwarfman View Post
    No amount of disadvantages can bring down 7/5 casting (except maybe losing actions)
    Lets focus on this. Possible disadvatages for this class:

1. Loss of a move action at level 2 and swift action at level 4. You now have 1 standard action per round which you can trade for a move or swift action, using immediate actions means you cannot act on your nect turn.

2. Loss of caster levels. At levels 1,3 and 5 you loose 1 caster level for all purposes except determining which spells you can cast. At levels 2 and 4, you loose 2 caster levels. Further more, any affect that would raise your caster level has no effect on you.

3. Forced extreme specialization. By taking this class, you choose one school of arcane magic. That and universal spells are the only ones available to you.

I think one of those should work, maybe not 2 though.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

This is just bad. The class can't be balanced, especially not by giving it penalties to dump stats, and the entire point (making wizards more powerful) is pointless.

Losing actions is the only way to make this class bad, and doing so would simply make this class worthless. Losing so many caster levels you are essentially a same level caster makes this class worthless anywhere past level 17/18, and extreme specialization isn't enough of a penalty.

There is no way to balance this, because the concept is just so fundamentally the opposite of "balanced."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

This would be quite different if it was meant for Paladins/Rangers/Hexblades...
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    Losing actions is the only way to make this class bad, and doing so would simply make this class worthless.
    I dunno, it would make for an interesting wizard in a tier 3 or lower game. Certainly not something to be played often, but I would give it a try.

Losing so many caster levels you are essentially a same level caster makes this class worthless anywhere past level 17/18
    Meaning it is not that much a problem, since not all games go that far.

and extreme specialization isn't enough of a penalty.
    Fix the specialized school to divination?

Quote Originally Posted by M-Bark View Post
    This would be quite different if it was meant for Paladins/Rangers/Hexblades...
    Yes. Then it would need full BAB, 2/3 good saves, d10 hitpoints, and some minor class features.
    Last edited by Boci; 2010-07-31 at 10:41 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Just as long as both Conjuration and Transmutation at least would be forbidden... then it would actually downpower it some. But just some. 9th-level spells are full of OOMPH.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by M-Bark View Post
    Just as long as both Conjuration and Transmutation at least would be forbidden... then it would actually downpower it some. But just some. 9th-level spells are full of OOMPH.
    True, then again, Artificer can already make scrolls of the spells 2 levels earlier.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

I dunno, it would make for an interesting wizard in a tier 3 or lower game. Certainly not something to be played often, but I would give it a try.
    Dropping a T1 class that, even with bad PrCing, is still probably T1 down to T3 means the prestige class is essentially worthless to take, and incredibly weak. Even if you wanted to nerf yourself, that doesn't mean making a terrible PrC is the right way to go.

Meaning it is not that much a problem, since not all games go that far.
    Yeah, this has the same flaws as "The DM won't let you use this class to be broken, so it isn't broken." Just because not all games involve the broken element doesn't mean it isn't broken; would it be only 1/20th the problem if I gave the warblade a capstone that said "You become invincible and can kill everybody and autosucceed on all rolls?" No, it would not.

There are still problems with this, since the wizard can now more easily break the game with omniscience, and, with shenanigans, can just use early Miracles (or wishes, but that burns EXP) to get things done.
    Last edited by Milskidasith; 2010-07-31 at 11:17 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I know how to make it balanced!
    Spoiler
    Show

Theory, not Practice(Ex): At 1st Level, you intense study makes your mastery of magic more about theory than practice. As such while they may be more advanced than they might otherwise be, they have flaws when put into use. Whenever casting a spell of the two highest levels available to you, you suffer the following penalties.

• Your caster level is treated as 4 lower than normal.
    • The spell is treated as being 2 levels lower for the purposes effects such as globe of invulnerability and spell turning.
    • The DC of the spell is 2 lower than normal.
    • Spells with a casting time of Swift action, become a standard action. Standard actions become full-round actions. 1-Round Actions complete at the end of the next turn after you start casting, rather than the beginning creatures summoned by spells with a casting time of 1-Round can't act the turn they're summoned. Metamagic and other effects apply normally to these adjusted times. For example, a swift action spell made standard can be made swift again by being Quickened.
    • You suffer a -20 penalty to all concentrated checks to sustain the spell, avoid interruptions to casting, or cast it defensively.
    • The spell is unstable (see below).

Instability:

There is a a 10% chance each time you cast such a spell for it to fail spectacularly. This sort of dramatic failure also occurs whenever a caster level check you make as part of the spell (such as spell resistance or dispel check) shows a "1" on the d20 or whenever the target of a spell passes their save with a "20" showing on the d20.

In any case a spell triggering instability has the following effects:

First, the spell fails to activate normally at all, being expended without any effect whatsoever.

Second, a new spell effect of the same level is generated randomly (such as by consulting the table for possible scrolls). This spell effect is then applied in such a way as to most negatively affect the caster and his allies. For example a Summon Monster effect would creatures hostile to them, while a Fireball effect would be centered such that it hits as many of his allies as possible.

This effect is resolved at +4 Caster level and +2 DC over normal (and thus +8 Caster level and +4 DC over what the attempted spell would normally use after penalties.)

Thrid, you roll Xd4 where X is the effective level of the spell you were attempting to case. You must instantly lose a number of prepared spells or spell slots equal to the result. No action, not even a free or immediate action may be taken in response to this.

Finally, the wild magic burns out portion of your mind or power. Your maximum prepared spells (or spell slots) for that level of spell is reduced by 1 for 1d10d10d10 days.

...but in all seriousness I have to agree with the majority. Extra caster levels are just so powerful it's hard to not to make them even more game breaking than standard casting already is.

Maybe, if it gave you access to a single spell slot of 1 level higher than your can normally cast, that only had like a 50% chance of actually working it might be OKAY.
    Last edited by Mr.Moron; 2010-07-31 at 11:27 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Dropping a T1 class that, even with bad PrCing, is still probably T1 down to T3 means the prestige class is essentially worthless to take, and incredibly weak. Even if you wanted to nerf yourself, that doesn't mean making a terrible PrC is the right way to go.
    I'm just saying with some changes this PrC has the potential to make one interesting character and then never be used again. And looking at all the PrC ever printed, that puts this one's use above quite a few official ones.

would it be only 1/20th the problem if I gave the warblade a capstone that said "You become invincible and can kill everybody and autosucceed on all rolls?" No, it would not.
    But playing a warblade in a game you knew was going to end at level 12 would not be a problem.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

I'm just saying with some changes this PrC has the potential to make one interesting character and then never be used again. And looking at all the PrC ever printed, that puts this one's use above quite a few official ones.
    Again, saying "Other stuff is poorly balanced with a bad design goal" doesn't change the fact this is as well.

But playing a warblade in a game you knew was going to end at level 12 would not be a problem.
    That wouldn't make it balanced, though, which is the point.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Again, saying "Other stuff is poorly balanced with a bad design goal" doesn't change the fact this is as well.
    But all we need from a PrC is one ingame use to justify its existents. More are better, but one will do.

That wouldn't make it balanced, though, which is the point.
    All it would mean it that hyou would not play a warblade in a game that was going to reach level 20 or beyond. That would still make the warbalde a good and adaptable class that could be used in a number games.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

By that reasoning, a class that gets an amount of ways to break the game at every level other than 1 would be okay and balanced. As long as you don't play past level 1.

There's a term for that: male cattle excrement.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2010-07-31 at 11:43 AM.