New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Vampire Feats [PEACH]

Inspired by generations from this with more possibly to follow.

I also have rough drafts of some (more likely templates) for Goblinoids, Elves, Dwarves, and Drow.

Yes, I know these are higher power than normal feats, read the endnote for reasoning.

Shadowdeath Vampire
    Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Dex 19+, 11+ Ranks in Hide
    Benefit : You are invisible in anything less than bright illumination. This invisibility is broken for 1 round if you attack. This is an extraordinary ability.

Deathcry Vampire

Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Cha 19+, 11+ Ranks in Perform
    Benefit : You gain a sonic attack that deals sonic damage as though you had performed a Slam attack (use Cha instead of Str mod for modifiers) to all within 5' per HD, this scream bestows one negative level instead of two to targets damaged by it. This is a supernatural ability.

Blackghoul Vampire
    Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Cha 19+, Ability to Rebuke Undead
    Benefit : Any humanoid or monstrous humanoid killed by the Vampire that doesn't raise as a Vampire or Vampire Spawn rises as a Ghoul (or Ghast if greater than 6HD)

Souldrinker Vampire
    Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Cha 19+
    Benefit : When using Blood Drain you drain 1d4 Charisma as well as Constitution, gaining temporary hitpoints for both forms of drain. The Vampire may also drain Charisma from undead creatures as well.

Fogstalker Vampire
    Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Dex 19+, 11+ Ranks in Tumble
    Benefit : You may Dimension Door (Silent and Stilled) from one place that would grant you concealment to another, this concealment must be intrinsic to the location, not based on relative placement of the combatants. (fog and darkness are acceptable, behind a wall is not)

Shadowwing Vampire

Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Dex 19+, 11+ Ranks in Jump
    Benefit : You gain a Fly Speed equal to 5' per HD with Perfect Maneuverability

Warpscar Vampire
    Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Cha 19+ 11+ Ranks in Knowledge (Geography)
    Benefit : You may teleport to any any space adjacent to a marked creature (you may mark up to 1/2 HD creatures, you must have Blood Drained a creature to mark it. You may remove a mark on one creature to replace it with another), this teleportation functions as Greater Teleport and deals a full attack to the creature that is being teleported to.

Lifescar Vampire
    Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Level 11+
    Benefit : Any creature you have successfully Blood Drained carries a small portion of your life essence. If you are killed you may Haunt (see Libris Mortis) them, if they die while you are Haunting them you reform from their body. This reformation process takes 1 week per HD lower than you they were.

Fearkiller Vampire

Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Cha 19+, 11+ Ranks in Intimidate
    Benefit : You trade in your Dominate ability for a Fear gaze effect (Range 30') any creature meeting your gaze must make a Will Save or cower for 1d4 rounds per 5HD of the Vampire. Any creature killed while Cowering rises as a Ghost (in addition to as a Vampire or Vampire spawn if drained in a way that would produce that)

Hellshade Vampire
    Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Cha 19+ 11+ Ranks in Knowledge (The Planes)
    When you are incapacitated (forced to assume Gaseous Form) you release a small portal to the Lower Planes, calling demons or devils with an encounter level equal to your own -2 forth at the place where you were killed.

Devilsoul Vampire
    Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Cha 19+ 4+ Ranks in Control Shape
    Benefit : When you gain this feat you are able to assume the form of a Demon or Devil during the daylight hours, the type of demon must be chosen at the time the feat is selected and it is treated as a form of Lycanthropy with the sun instead of the moon as forcing changes. The type of creature chosen must have a CR at least two lower than your ECL at the time this feat is selected)

Blackweeper Vampire

Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Wis 15+ 11+ Ranks in Knowledge Religion
    Benefit : You are permanently surrounded by a Desecrate spell. You may suppress or resume this effect with a swift action.
    Special : This feat may be taken multiple times, each time the effects of the Desecrate are doubled (remember, two doublings equals a tripling)

Dreamhaunt Vampire
    Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Wis 15+, Cha 19+
    Benefit : You may cast Dream or Nightmare at will on any creature you have successfully Blood Drained (this effect works on Vampires you have created as well, even though Vampires do not usually dream)

Warpsmoke Vampire
    Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Str 21+
    Benefit : Your Gaseous Form is accompanied by wind as though you had cast Control Winds with a Caster Level equal to your HD, centered on yourself.

Redsoul Vampire
    Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Int 15+, 11+ Ranks Knowledge (Arcana)
    Benefit : If killed you may be ressurected by mixing your ashes with Virgin's Blood (requires at least 5HD of creatures per HD of the Vampire) or feeding at least 50% of your ashes to a virgin with at least as many HD as you had when you died. Both of these effects cause you to lose one character level.

Venomheart Vampire

Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Must have had at least 13 Con in life
    Benefit : Your dark vitality charges your blood with poison to the living. All melee attacks involving you (both attacks made by you and against you) deal 1d6 negative energy damage to your opponent and your natural Fast Healing is doubled.
    Special : This feat may be taken multiple times, its effects stack.

Bloodbind Vampire
    Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Cha 19+, 11+ Ranks in Diplomacy
    Benefit : You may drain some of your undead blood (suffering a negative level for doing so) and feed it to a creature (the creature must be willing or unsuspecting), you gain a Permanent Telepathic Bond with this creature, a Permanent Status affecting them, and they are Charmed by you. These effects may be removed by a Remove Curse, Break Enchantment or healing the negative level, in addition if the creature dies before receiving a Remove Curse or Break Enchantment they rise as a Vampire or Vampire Spawn under your control.
    Special : This feat may be taken multiple times, each time you may drain more doses of blood for each negative level, the second time you take this feat you may feed the blood to 1d3 people, the third 1d6, the fourth 1d10 and so on.

Dreadskull Vampire
    Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Cha 19+, 11+ Ranks in Intimidate
    Benefit : You gain a Frightful Presence reaching out to 10*HD feet, creatures with less than 1/2 your HD must make a Will Save or be panicked for 1d6 rounds per 4HD, creatures with more than half your HD must make a Will Save or be Shaken for the same duration.

Cruelclaw Vampire
    Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Str 21+, Improved Unarmed Strike
    Benefit : You gain two claw attacks of one size larger than normal (1d6 for a medium creature), in addition these claws can drain blood as well as your mouth, allowing you to drain 2d4 Con with your Blood Drain ability.

Diresoul Vampire
    Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Cha 19+, Con in life must have been 13+
    Benefit : All of your Hit Dice go up one size (as on the weapon size tables, so d12s become 3d6 and so on). Note: rolling multiple dice for a Hit Dice (such as a 3d6HD) is still treated as a single Hit Dice
    Special : This feat may be taken multiple times, each time the dice go up an additional size.

Redshade Vampire

Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Cha 19+ Must have been incapacitated at least once
    Benefit : You gain one of the Special attacks from the Ghost Template, in addition you lose 2 points of Strength as your body becomes more insubstantial, if your strength should become 0 through the application of this feat the Ghost Template replaces the Vampire Template and you may trade these feats in for new ones.
    Special : You may take this feat multiple times, each time you gain a new ability from the options.

Icebrood Vampire

Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Must have been incapacitated by Cold damage
    Benefit : You gain Immunity to Cold as do all Spawn you create from this point forward.

Flamebrood Vampire
    Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Must have been incapacitated by Fire damage
    Benefit : You gain Immunity to Fire as do all Spawn you create from this point forward.

Cryptheart Vampire
    Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Int or Wis 15+ Cha 19+
    Benefit : You gain Animate Dead as a Spell-Like ability HD times a day, in addition you gain your HD as a bonus to all rebuke checks. This grants you an undead control pool as a caster equal to your HD
    Special : This feat may be taken multiple times, each time you gain three additional uses of Animate Dead, an additional +3 on Rebuke checks, and a doubling of your undead control pool.

Grimbind Vampire
    Pre-Reqs: Vampire, Int or Wis 15+ Cha 21+
    Benefit : You gain Lesser Planar Binding (as an Evil Spell) as a Spell Like ability 1/2HD times a day, in addition you may force these creatures into your service permanently with your Domination Gaze, gaining a control pool for Outsiders similar to an Animation control pool, controlling 2HD worth of outsiders for every HD you possess.
    Pre-Reqs: You may take this feat multiple times, each time your control pool doubles.

Looking for help clarifying the wording on Devilsoul Vampire and general PEACHness.

Yes, I know they are higher powered than normal feats but considering you have to have the Vampire template to take them and vampire kind of blows I feel that its appropriate. Also potential as NPC feats for Vampire Baddies.
    Last edited by The Mentalist; 2013-09-11 at 09:01 PM.
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Vampire Feats [PEACH]

May I add more if I get any good ideas from the generator? (I love seventh sanctum)
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

3. - Top - End - #3

Of course. I'm considering running a "Random Generator Grab Bag" Competition Series. Pick one generator and create something from a result of that generator. Maybe do some Chaotic Shiny Gens too.
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mentalist View Post
    Of course. I'm considering running a "Random Generator Grab Bag" Competition Series. Pick one generator and create something from a result of that generator. Maybe do some Chaotic Shiny Gens too.
    I like chaotic shiny too! Dude do it!!
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-09-10 at 04:02 PM.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

5. - Top - End - #5

The problem I see here is that, while the LA for the vampire template is paid once and for all, the benefits of most of these feats increase exponentially. That's a major power boost for any epic vampire, or for any vampire who somehow reduced his LA. Furthermore, NPCs don't have LA, so these feats are free candies for them.

I can see other issues (weird prerequisites or benefits, lot of spelling mistakes, etc.), but the idea is really interesting. I need to give it a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    "I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!")
    Quote Originally Posted by Zweisteine View Post
    So the real question is, what is a Ling?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Blacksnake vampire
    Prerequisites:Vampire, 10+ HD
    Benefits: Your tongue is long and snakelike, enabling you to blood drain opponents 10ft away with a melee attack. While your tongue is attached it can be attacked (ac 10+1/2 your natural armor+any luck, deflection, or profane bonuses, hp 5+your cha bonus*your HD). If the tongue reaches 0 hit points it is severed and you must drain blood in the usual fashion for (20-your cha bonus) days, at the end of which your tongue finishes re-growing

Bloodbeast vampire
    Prerequisites:Vampire, Str 19+
    Benefits: After using your blood drain ability, you can choose to immediately go into a rage as per a 1st level barbarian for 2+(the number of con points you drained) rounds

Painsmoke vampire
    Prerequisites:Vampire, Cha 19+, 8+HD
    Benefits: when in gaseous form, you can roll over living creatures as a black fog cloud, dealing 2d6+cha bonus damage. In addition, your gaseous form has a 10ft. radius and is 10ft. high

How are these?
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-09-11 at 07:37 PM.

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

7. - Top - End - #7

They look pretty good, though I would make the Bloodbeast's rage optional instead of a forced mechanic, and Blacksnake should also get Deflection Bonuses to the tongue's AC.

Should the Painsmoke's Mist form be the same size as its normal form or more a bank of rolling fog (about the size of a cloudkill)?

8. - Top - End - #8

My first thought when I saw the tongue thing was actually of the Dumahim vampires you see in Soul Reaver. Maybe some abilities based off of the clans (getting a burrow speed, becoming immune to water but even weaker to sunlight, able to generate silk, etcetera)?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

They look pretty good, though I would make the Bloodbeast's rage optional instead of a forced mechanic, and Blacksnake should also get Deflection Bonuses to the tongue's AC.

Should the Painsmoke's Mist form be the same size as its normal form or more a bank of rolling fog (about the size of a cloudkill)?
    changes made

painsmoke is 10ft. radius 10ft. high, now specified

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Horrorheart Vampire
    Prerequisites: Vampire, Cha 19+, Intimidate 13+
    Benefits: You have a very unique tattoo on your chest. It can be anything the player wants it to be, but it must be strong black, red, or dark purple ink. When you die, it ripples and vanishes, finally creating a symbol of fear equal to a sorcerer of your hit dice

Steelscar Vampire
    Prerequisites: Vampire, HD 11+
    Benefits: your teeth are metallic, and when you do blood drain, small bits of metal flake off into your target. these metal flakes grow, taking over your targets veins, and if they fail a fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 hd+Cha mod+other mods) they take 1d4 points of dexterity damage as it becomes harder and more painful to move because they're turning into metal from the inside.

Windweep Vampire
    Prerequisites: Vampire, HD 8+, Cha 17+
    Benefits: Anybody wih your HD or less within 20ft. of you in gaseous form is affected by a crushing despair spell by a wizard of your HD (DC 10+1/2HD+Cha mod)

Hellstorm Vampire
    Prerequisites: Vampire, HD 9+, Cha 17+
    Benefits: You may activate this ability as a free action upto once per round for every two HD you possess, each time this is activated everyone a 10' radius (+10' for every activation in the round) takes 1d6+your Charisma Modifier in damage. Each activation of this ability deals 1d4 damage to you.
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-09-11 at 07:31 PM.

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    Hellstorm Vampire
    Prerequisites: Vampire, HD 9+, Cha 17+
    Benefits: As a supernatural ability, you may open yourself, unleashing your intense evil around you in a swirling helix of blood and negative energy. You can have this ability active for as long as you want. For every 1d4 hp you sacrafice in a round, you create a 10ft. radius field around you, anyone in this field takes 1d6+cha mod damage. The maximum number of dice worth of HP you can sacrafice=1/2 your HD.

Might need help on wording for that one :p

How about... You may activate this ability as a free action upto once per round for every two HD you possess, each time this is activated everyone a 10' radius (+10' for every activation in the round) takes 1d6+your Charisma Modifier in damage. Each activation of this ability deals 1d4 damage to you.
    Blacksnake needs details on what happens if the tongue is attacked or even destroyed.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

fixed. So do you like them?

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

13. - Top - End - #13

I like them better than I like some of mine, I think yours are more likely to actually see play as they're closer to balanced to normal feats.

Gravefire
    Natural Weapons gain Unholy+Flaming?

Hellweeper
    Weep Fiendish Creatures/Minor Demons as a full round action (sort of like a Summon Monster spell)

Ironcloud
    Grant Armor Bonus (maybe Cover) to those inside your Gaseous Cloud?

Painrend
    Power Word Pain/Symbol of Pain on anyone you crit?

Runeghast
    Gain spell-like abilities/treat your body or the body of your spawn like a Runestaff?

Steelsoul
    This one will be a very tankish/defensive one but I'm not sure the specifics yet.

Some that I just generated that I have rough, unformed ideas for

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

These are well done. However, I agree with Network's basic concerns.

Also, some of these are substantially more abuseable than others. Warpscar Vampire is really neat, but can be highly abused by cooperating with people who have a lot of hits points (say people in your party who can easily handle your full attack), or using it to drain blood from small creatures kept in different specific locations around a setting. I'd consider restricting the feat so that you need to designate a creature as being a creature you can do this to, and not being able to have more than your hit die/2 such creatures designated at any given time (having to give up one when you are your maximum).

Similarly, Bloodbind Vampire may be abuseable. The basic fluff is clear (going back to at least Dracula and does a better job of that sort of thing with Lucy and Mina than almost anything I've seen), but an enterprising person will use it on a large number of people. Worse, a party with a vampire in it might have the other party members voluntarily consent to it. Actually, how do negative levels for undead work? Do the benefits go away if you get rid of the negative levels?

Blackweeper Vampire - The benefits here are a bit too small for the cost. I'd reduce the wisdom requirement and the religion requirement. Also, they should probably be able to suppress the aura as a standard action.

Diresoul Vampire- You may want to specify explicitly that this isn't changing how many hit die you have but rather are making the hit die larger. Although the mechanic is weird- why not do something close to the way improved toughness works?
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I like them better than I like some of mine, I think yours are more likely to actually see play as they're closer to balanced to normal feats.
    Wow...thank you
    *runsofftomakemore*
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-09-11 at 08:15 PM.

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    These are well done. However, I agree with Network's basic concerns.

Also, some of these are substantially more abuseable than others. Warpscar Vampire is really neat, but can be highly abused by cooperating with people who have a lot of hits points (say people in your party who can easily handle your full attack), or using it to drain blood from small creatures kept in different specific locations around a setting. I'd consider restricting the feat so that you need to designate a creature as being a creature you can do this to, and not being able to have more than your hit die/2 such creatures designated at any given time (having to give up one when you are your maximum).

Yes, will correct and force a designation (maybe one potential target per HD or point of Cha Mod

Similarly, Bloodbind Vampire may be abuseable. The basic fluff is clear (going back to at least Dracula and does a better job of that sort of thing with Lucy and Mina than almost anything I've seen), but an enterprising person will use it on a large number of people. Worse, a party with a vampire in it might have the other party members voluntarily consent to it. Actually, how do negative levels for undead work? Do the benefits go away if you get rid of the negative levels?

As far as I know Negative levels work the same for Undead as they do for the living, at least the condition of having one is the same.

Do you think this would work if I had it broken by healing the negative level? I mean a negative level for having reasonably minor benefits on a few creatures is pretty steep.

Blackweeper Vampire - The benefits here are a bit too small for the cost. I'd reduce the wisdom requirement and the religion requirement. Also, they should probably be able to suppress the aura as a standard action.

I entirely forgot about the suppression aspect, I did consider going with a double strength Desecrate for more power but thought that might be too much turn resistance for a single feat, especially stacked with other benefits. As for the Wisdom requirement with a Vampire's bonuses to Wisdom that's only a 13 natural Wisdom.

Diresoul Vampire- You may want to specify explicitly that this isn't changing how many hit die you have but rather are making the hit die larger. Although the mechanic is weird- why not do something close to the way improved toughness works?

I probably do want to specify. I'm not sure I want to step on Improved Toughness in terms of what the feat does (that's +1 per HD right?) and Unholy Toughness already gives them Charisma Modifier to HP. As I recall at the time, (I hadn't slept in nearly 36 hours when I was writing these) I remember reading somewhere that if you had a decent Con score you were actually hurt for HP by raising your HD to d12s and losing Con, even as a caster and I wanted to make a way to make those HD more viable. Also in my slightly sleep deprived brain it seemed like a pretty cool thing to have available.
    As for the concerns about NPC power, I figure anything build for NPCs doesn't really HAVE to be balanced as the DM could/would handwave it in, all balance should be balanced for "What does it cost my PCs to get this". LA buy-off is a very good point to consider and I will start work on how to correct these feats for an LA of 5 (I think only 3 can be bought off) as some of them would be too nice for only an LA of 5.

As for the scaling being problematic on high level vampires I kind of like the idea of feats scaling though I may add a cap. Though if having them scale seems like it will break them in general I will just average them out and set them like that.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I think we should make some more lower level ones, ones that newbie vamps can have fun with

Also, mind if I express my interest in the goblin ones? I like goblins :)
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-09-11 at 08:33 PM.

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you think this would work if I had it broken by healing the negative level? I mean a negative level for having reasonably minor benefits on a few creatures is pretty steep.
    Yes, that would certainly handle it.

As for the concerns about NPC power, I figure anything build for NPCs doesn't really HAVE to be balanced as the DM could/would handwave it in, all balance should be balanced for "What does it cost my PCs to get this".
    I almost agree with this. Two caveats. First, from a simulationist standpoint, DMs might want to say "well, if vampires have these options what would happen?" and make that somewhat consistent. Second giving options like this can make it substantially harder for a DM to judge CR.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Second giving options like this can make it substantially harder for a DM to judge CR.
    I think my answer to that is more towards the school of add a note to DMs that this is likely to raise CR beyond that of the base creature. For example the invisibility one, that, if played intelligently, would raise the Encounter Level of a fight by at least 2.

I think we should make some more lower level ones, ones that newbie vamps can have fun with
    I agree. My original designs were going to be templates to be added to Vampires (sort of like the Evolved Template from Libris Mortis) but feats seemed to work better for the limited ideas I had.

I also think I should PM you for your Feedback on the rough drafts of the ones for other races I'm looking at. The Dwarf ones are pretty cool at the moment.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I think my answer to that is more towards the school of add a note to DMs that this is likely to raise CR beyond that of the base creature. For example the invisibility one, that, if played intelligently, would raise the Encounter Level of a fight by at least 2.

I agree. My original designs were going to be templates to be added to Vampires (sort of like the Evolved Template from Libris Mortis) but feats seemed to work better for the limited ideas I had.

I also think I should PM you for your Feedback on the rough drafts of the ones for other races I'm looking at. The Dwarf ones are pretty cool at the moment.
    I await eagerly, since I am trying to keep from boredoms icy grip while recovering (btw, this site has been helping so much. Thank you playground(ers)

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

21. - Top - End - #21

As for the scaling being problematic on high level vampires I kind of like the idea of feats scaling though I may add a cap. Though if having them scale seems like it will break them in general I will just average them out and set them like that.
    The cap should probably be around 15 HD, though that's quite a rough estimate. Some feats should have a higher or lower cap on a case-by-case basis ; playtesting them may help.

Amongst the most powerful non-scaling feats I can see, there are Devilsoul Vampire, Flamebrood Vampire, Hellshade Vampire, Icebrood Vampire, Shadowdeath Vampire (by a far margin) and Venomheart Vampire. Here are the reasons :
    -Devilsoul Vampire can be highly abusive, because you can turn into a fiend with a CR higher than your own. It should probably be limited by the vampire's and the fiend's HD, instead of ECL and CR (which, IMO, should only be used in a meta sense). The fact that most outsiders have an amount of hit dice close to their CR is a good thing. The feat should probably be Supernatural, too.
    -Flamebrood Vampire and Icebrood Vampire are powerful mostly because the vampire AND his spawns get free immunities. I'd suggest giving the vampire the Fire or Cold subtype (with the ensuing immunity and vulnerability. Best if you can get them together), and maybe an energy resistance of 5 or 10 to the spawns.
    -Hellshade Vampire, which has roughly the same issues as Devilsoul Vampire.
    -Shadowdeath Vampire should be Supernatural, if only because Negate Invisibility and See Invisibility don't work in antimagic fields, so a vampire may deliberately use them to stay invisible (to escape or follow whatever inevitable tactic for victory he could think of).
    -Venomheart Vampire makes melee impossible against the vampire, but it's to be expected. I'd reduce the negative level if an opponent hit you to 1. I also think it shouldn't increase fast healing, and I'm not even sure what is supposed to stack and what isn't (if negative levels per attack stack, then anyone without Death Ward is doomed).

I probably do want to specify. I'm not sure I want to step on Improved Toughness in terms of what the feat does (that's +1 per HD right?) and Unholy Toughness already gives them Charisma Modifier to HP. As I recall at the time, (I hadn't slept in nearly 36 hours when I was writing these) I remember reading somewhere that if you had a decent Con score you were actually hurt for HP by raising your HD to d12s and losing Con, even as a caster and I wanted to make a way to make those HD more viable. Also in my slightly sleep deprived brain it seemed like a pretty cool thing to have available.
    Vampires don't have Unholy Toughness, though it may replace the benefits of Diresoul Vampire as it is currently written. Unholy Toughness scale better than a net increase in HD's size.

Edit : The generator gave me Wildmist... I think I'll have to make that a feat.
    Last edited by Network; 2013-09-11 at 09:32 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Network View Post
    The cap should probably be around 15 HD, though that's quite a rough estimate. Some feats should have a higher or lower cap on a case-by-case basis ; playtesting them may help.

Amongst the most powerful non-scaling feats I can see, there are Devilsoul Vampire, Flamebrood Vampire, Hellshade Vampire, Icebrood Vampire, Shadowdeath Vampire (by a far margin) and Venomheart Vampire. Here are the reasons :
    -Devilsoul Vampire can be highly abusive, because you can turn into a fiend with a CR higher than your own. It should probably be limited by the vampire's and the fiend's HD, instead of ECL and CR (which, IMO, should only be used in a meta sense). The fact that most outsiders have an amount of hit dice close to their CR is a good thing. The feat should probably be Supernatural, too.

Yes. I'm actually considering getting rid of it the more I look at it.

-Flamebrood Vampire and Icebrood Vampire are powerful mostly because the vampire AND his spawns get free immunities. I'd suggest giving the vampire the Fire or Cold subtype (with the ensuing immunity and vulnerability. Best if you can get them together), and maybe an energy resistance of 5 or 10 to the spawns.

That's brilliant.

-Hellshade Vampire, which has roughly the same issues as Devilsoul Vampire.

I think I may do this as a Summon Monster spell (or a few lower level Summon Monster spells) instead, I was looking at this and Devilsoul and thinking that they were rather heavy-handed and shoehorned in.

-Shadowdeath Vampire should be Supernatural, if only because Negate Invisibility and See Invisibility don't work in antimagic fields, so a vampire may deliberately use them to stay invisible (to escape or follow whatever inevitable tactic for victory he could think of).

Light still dispels the Invisibility in an antimagic field.

-Venomheart Vampire makes melee impossible against the vampire, but it's to be expected. I'd reduce the negative level if an opponent hit you to 1. I also think it shouldn't increase fast healing, and I'm not even sure what is supposed to stack and what isn't (if negative levels per attack stack, then anyone without Death Ward is doomed).

Umm... it doesn't bestow negative levels. it deal negative energy damage, like the Inflict Wounds line of spells

Vampires don't have Unholy Toughness, though it may replace the benefits of Diresoul Vampire as it is currently written. Unholy Toughness scale better than a net increase in HD's size.

I thought that was acquirable as a feat for some reason. If it's not I may just let the feat give Unholy Toughness and call it a day.

Edit : The generator gave me Wildmist... I think I'll have to make that a feat.
    Wildmist could be a fun one, I'd love to see what you do with it.
    Last edited by The Mentalist; 2013-09-11 at 09:39 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Light still dispels the Invisibility in an antimagic field.
    Assuming, of course, that the vampire didn't select the place of the encounter beforehand and couldn't turn off the sources of light either. Still, you are correct.
    Umm... it doesn't bestow negative levels. it deal negative energy damage, like the Inflict Wounds line of spells
    How could I have missed that? 1d6 negative energy damage isn't so bad, unless you use it to heal your buddies. It even plays against you if you are facing other undead.
    I thought that was acquirable as a feat for some reason. If it's not I may just let the feat give Unholy Toughness and call it a day.
    I'd also replace the ''Con in life'' requirement with Improved Toughness, because it's hard to keep track of an obsolete ability score and undead characters won't be able to improve it further.
    Wildmist could be a fun one, I'd love to see what you do with it.
    I'll give it a try :
    Wildmist vampire
    Prerequisites: Vampire, 9 or more HD.
    Benefits: Any living enemy that occupy the same square as you when you are in your gaseous form must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your Hit Dice + your Charisma modifier) or feel an urge to kill a second creature within line of sight (determined by you) for 1d3 rounds. The primary creature receives all the penalties and incapabilities of a 1st-level barbarian during these rounds (but isn't fatigued at the end), but no benefit. This is a mind-affecting effect.

I just realized a design mistake in many of the vampire feats though : the level requirements (direct or indirect) of the feats should be multiples of 3, yet many feats can only be taken at 8th or 11th level. The problem is that the characters will be in a situation where they fulfill all the prerequisites of a feat, but are forced to wait a level to take it, because they don't get any feat at that level.