New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: DrK Wrath Righteous Reboot IC

"I think that might be the easiest," Jessica said to Irabeth, "that way our group can roam more free without having to worry about other things."

When the troop arrived, Jessica sized them up as she would have done with new knights that were placed under her command. When going to the command tent, she introduced herself as Jessica Dezlentyr, senior knight of the Order of the Glorious Reclamation.
    "I think it's best if our group stays a bit separate from the main group," she said, "not all of us are trained in large scale battles and I think it's easier if your group would stay together and we operate in a more free role. Of course, on the way to our destination, we'll stay with you.
    We most definitely need scouts and we also need a group guarding the supplies. I would also like to meet all your officers to get to know them."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

in medieval times officers means the commander, his lieutenant and the sergeants most likely.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

[QUOTE=Spore;25542805]
    Leonius Caela Telum
    Aasimar Cleric
    AC: 21 HP: 40/40
    touch: 10, ff: 21, CMD: 14
    Conditions: Blessing of Vigilance (Lesser Age Resistance, 24h)

At the Queen's audience:
    Leonius was aware of Horgus' presence, but as the noble man ignored him, he in turn ignored the fat dandy. His disgust was palpable, but the priest calmed himself that the vile baron did support the crusade even if just to increase his leverage and save his own hide. As Irabeth comments, the holy man lays his arm around Anevia. I will protect her as much as my station and rank allows, Irabeth. But Anevia is a capable scout, do not understimate her. Turning his head at the newcomer, he nods. As is Aron, I assume. Say Sosiel; if you provide the blessings of the Nightingale to the main troops, i would follow the suggestion of Ser Jessica and make sure our small strike force takes out any larger obstacles that are unfit for a scout or a whole army.

In the command tent
    Say a small batch of Brimorak demons can wreak untold havoc in an army. They are still a vile fight, but we can manage without loosing warriors. Especially with Lady Tali's own pyromancies and Ser Mong's song.

Are you sure you do not want to follow the valley and instead use the overpass? I have little experience in leading armies, but that seems like a good way to be attacked by airborne demons.

Last edited by Spore; 2022-08-22 at 08:41 AM.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Troll in the Playground

First, the discovery that his companion was a pyromancer, then horses. He had many a sin to atone for it seemed, and fate, it seemed, was in possession of a wicked sense of humour. He had always joked with his mother about how it was fortuitous they were smiths in a city on the edge of perpetual war instead of in some idyllic village somewhere, as they were charged with make mail, plate, and all manner of arms instead of being sidled with shoe horses and fixing ploughs. While he could ride well enough the magus had an aversion to horses almost as strong as the one he felt towards fire. He almost thought he preferred the noxious fumes of a pack Dretch to the smell of equine sweat and fodder.

Later in the tent as they stood over the map, he wondered aloud, "when is the last time anyone of the Crusade has travelled our prospective route?" he traced his finger along the path Sosiel had lain out, "perhaps Aron or other scouts? Are there any encampments or fortresses along the way?" the archer tapped the "city" a few times with his finger before leaning back to look at the map, "Drezen has long been in the enemy's hands, would not such a direct approach be well guarded or fortified. Even with their attention drawn south by Queen and Crusade its doubtful the city will be left complete without defence."
    Last edited by TankLaser007; 2022-08-27 at 02:28 AM.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"We'll have to move quickly," Jessica said, "and make sure the smaller outpost along the way can't send any warnings to the city. Then we should be able to storm it without too much problem. But we can plan all we want now, it won't matter. A lot will depend on what we see when we get there.
    While we should plan for some contingencies, a lot we'll have to play by ear on the moment itself, depending on what we find."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

The command tent

At the questions Sosiel shrugs slightly and thinks carefully before answering, a comforting hand resting on the back of Aron's neck. "Truthfully there are not many other routes. The wilds of Sarkosis are more hostile than the trails and this way at least we pass through areas that should have accessible water for the animals and the troops. The Queen hopes the crusade moving south will draw off the bulk of the forces and allow us to storm and defeat what remains. For the good of Mendev we must".

The Next Morning

The next morning dawns with a thin pale light, skidding clouds scurrying across the sky and the promise of cold weather arriving early in the autumn. The troop of soldiers are mounted and stand ready, 300 men and woman in heavy banded or splint mail with lances, and either swords or maces and a large collection of some 15 heavy wagons laden down with horse feed, water barrels and stores and vitals for the soldiers. THe teamsters pulling the wagons looking as tough as the soldiers even if they wore heavy leather overalls and carried stout maces and hammers at their waist or cradled heavy crossbows.

The three bannermen - The Lady Ser Eilza Swan, Ser Jason Donan and Ser Mark Skipton all trot forward bowing to Jessica and the others. "The men are ready, we are eager to get going to retreive the Sword of Valour for the glory of Iomedae." THen a more considered, "if we run into the enemy troops who shall have command of the field, yourself or the Lady Irabeth?"

As they discuss you see Aneiva and Aron spurring on ahead of the long line of mounted cavalry heading down the dusty road. As you wind your way down the cliffs from Kenaberes you can see a distant flash of silver and gold atop the scarred battlements where the Queen watches you leave and on the walls lines of citizens cheering and shouting as they see you winding down th old Sarkosis road.

Crossing the border where the Wardstone once stood its like a switch has been thrown as the temperature plunges down some 5-6 degrees (Celcius obviously!) hovering only a little above freezing as you can all see your breath misting on the air. The ground is dry and arid and crunches under your feet, dozens of fragments of bone and armour or weapons lying half buried in the ashy soil.

For some 6 long hours, with a meal of hard bread and harder salted beef you reach the wide open plain where you can see the insipid West Sellen and sprawling on the western bank the small village of Vala's Gift. Or at least what was left of Valas Gift as fired blackened fields and collapsed buildings mark whats left of the small farming community. At the small crossroards at the top of the rise you meet Aneiva and Aron. The young lady with her leg now healed waves at Irabeth before reporting to Jessica and Leonius. "The village has been here for more than 8 years. Its been raided before but they are a hardy lot. It looks to be destroyed. Would you like us to take a scouting party to see whats left?"
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

Leonius Caela Telum
    Aasimar Cleric

Irabeth was a capable army leader, but if she dies, Iomedae save us from this occurence, we are without leadership. I would love for one or two of us watching her do her thing, to learn how this works. Leonius tries a compromise. In truth he would leave the responsibiility of the army entirely with Lady Irabeth, but now that his goddess has personally chosen his group as their champions, his shoulders feels heavier than usual from carrying this burden.

Well, scouting beats leading a small army in there. Or even just Jessica and me. We are a loud lot. Some of us can help with the scouting if they wish. Gashur was a very creative scout in the past, as was Mong's idea to trick the cultists. Leonius was proud people reported to them and trusted them so much, but he felt the orcs and the sorceress' were not given their due respects.
    Last edited by Spore; 2022-09-01 at 02:42 AM.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ettin in the Playground

Gashur basically skips the whole planning part. He is not fan of being bound be whatever end of the chain of command, so lets the others sort it out. When it comes to scouting, though, that he can do. Either alone or not, he sees no problem either way and says as much.
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-08-30 at 06:53 AM.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I agree that it's best to have Lady Irabeth in charge of the army," Jessica said, "just in case we have to split off from the group, the chain of command is established."

She looked at Lady Ser Eilza Swan, Ser Jason Donan and Ser Mark Skipton.
    "The rest of you can round out the chain of command," she continued, "just in case, it's best to establish this up front.
    And I'm sure there are capable sergeants in the troup who can take over in a pinch if there is a real need. I'll leave that in your and Irabeth's hands to work out. And yes, some scouts would be a good idea. Gashur, if you can take a few of the group's scouts and have a look around. We'll prepare for a charge in case you encounter something too big to handle on your own."

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll go wherever I'm needed," Tali says at the planning. "I'm not particularly stealthy, but I can do signals if that helps.

"And I'd be happy to shadow Lady Irabeth and learn about command," she said to Leonius's suggestion. "It's a matter of persuasion and cajoling, isn't it? I'm good at that. Everyone else has more experience in the... pointier... aspects of soldiering, so this would be a way to make myself useful."
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2022-09-01 at 11:25 AM.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

As the "officers"/heroes of the wardstone discuss things the scouts head out into the small hamlet and soon enough return with a sad expression and shakes of the heads. "No-one there my lords and ladies. not a single person. A few blood stains and dropped tools and the like but little esle." The bannerman and leads of the regiment look up at Irabeth and the rest of you. "It seems quiet enough, shall we make camp in Vala's gift. We can ford the river in the morning and press on tomorrow?" Having looked at the map and the distances you realise that Vala's gift is the most sensible place to stop for this first day out.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Sounds like a plan," Jessica said, "not having to take down our tents tomorrow will save us some time and the village can probably be easier defended than just camping out in the open."

12. - Top - End - #552
    Troll in the Playground

Talisin nodded, he was fine to stay out of the more "mundane" and strictly military matters, and felt ill at ease at being addressed in the same company of those who were clearly career soldiers, clergy, nobility and members of "proper" Crusade. "If there's a smithy in the village perhaps I can get a bit of work done before we press on." he looked off towards the abandoned village, 'Vala's Gift', he wondered where its former residents were now and how grateful they were feeling at this moment...
    Last edited by TankLaser007; 2022-09-03 at 12:19 AM.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

"That sounds sensible," Tali agrees with the others.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

Leonius Caela Telum
    Aasimar Cleric

It is impossible to keep our presence here a secret so we should raise banners and check the surrounding areas for survivors. If the crusade comes through, there will be no man left behind. And if you find their corpses, gather them. I want to personally lay their souls to rest. Just be careful. The demons might have infested them with diseases. If they look sick, don't touch them and call for Lady Jessica.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ettin in the Playground

Gashur plans to do the camping duties for himself and the crafters. The intent is to free crafters' time to do things Gashur cannot do by himself. He'll also volunteer to take the darkest shift as a guard.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

Sweeping into the village the soldiers split into squads and search the town finding no-one here at all, But everywhere the eerie signs that the villagers were removed swiftly yet without violence. The 3 banner leads see to the trrops, long horse lines getting fed and watered as the rest of the troops barrack themselves in the abandoned homes and others set-up trio of patrols and watches to give a reassuring net of sentries, though the sentries are relieved to see Gashur in the depths of the night as the halforc, long bladed Fauchard balanced on his shoulder, roams the camp.

Talisisn and Mong nd Leonius are able to find the smithy. The forge still warm and set-up for a few hours although with the late camp they cannot make too much progress as night draws in. The night passes quietly, a few alarms here and there as bat winged shapes flit across the moon and shadows writhe and scream in the corners, but these things are to be expected near the Sellen and the border with lost Sarkosis and the corrupting influence of the Worldwound. However, the night passes as quietly as it an and in the morning Irabeth is ready, irrepressible and cheerful as she mounts up early. The troops all copying as they ready to breakfast in the saddle. Irabeth looking to you all, "I'd like to push hard today if that is okay. THe ford at Vilareth is the westernmost crossing of the Sellen and normally has a small contingent of crusaders stationed there. It is some 50 miles so a good 12 hours in the saddle."

The 12 hours up the river valley is tough, the weather seems to change every hour alternating between sweltering heat that leaves you sweating and vile smelling frozen wind that chills you even through heavy cloaks and thick steel plate. Vilareth Ford is the northernmost crossing point on the West Sellen—few settlements and no fords or bridges exist farther north from here on the Mendev side of the river. Named for the crusader general who first held the ford against a host of tiefling cultists eager to use it as an invasion point, Vilareth Ford has long been watched over by a small contingent of crusaders...

---

As the evening draws in, the night sky slowly unfolding in the sky and sun rods being lit in the ranks or small orbs of light as those blessed with divine power cast Light spells to see the road you are all tired. Horses fatigued from 12 long hours on the march you are suddenly drawn to the alert as three lightly armoured scouts accompanied by Aneiva can be seen galloping back towards the column at a pace, dust rising from the hooves. Pulling up in a cloud of dust and pebbles she seeks out you all where you are near the vanguard of the column. "Trouble at the Ford! The crusaders are dead, reduced now to heads on pikes lighting our way into the killing ground and a pack of cultists some 400 strong now encamped there."

She points down the valley, "The valley follows the river, but around the corner when we approach the Ford the small watch post has been strengthened and is the heart of the tiefling's defence. They straddle the ford but the ground is open and seems suitable cavalry" Taking a sip from her canteen she continues. "They don't have many scouts out, we could retreat and attack in the morning or we could press the attack this evening with the setting sun."

17. - Top - End - #557
    Troll in the Playground

The half-elf was neither a diplomat nor a soldier yet he did have experience with the fiends they fought and those of their bloodline. "It's been a long ride, the mounts, and no doubt the men are on the edge of exhaustion. If battle begins at this late hour we're likely to loose the light soon and fiends and those of their lineage will be at no disadvantage to the the loss of light while most of our troop, by my count are human, and lack the ability to see unaided in the dark."

He paused, "I would advise, and I know this is not my area of specialization, but I think it best we allow the main force to rest and prepare for a strike at first light, this would not allow permit us all rest but allow for smaller detachments to scout, gather intelligence, and possibly engage in sabotage. With more information we can better prepare for the engagement, not only in terms of our tactics but to allow detachments of priests, paladins and disciples of the arcane like myself to prepare a complement of spells and prayers suitable and tailored to our tasks and roles."

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

"Is there perhaps anything we could do to soften them up before the engagement tomorrow?" Tali asks, apparently taking for certain Talisin's suggestion that the army as a whole wait until tomorrow. "I don't think I know any spells that are especially useful for fighting an entire army at once, but maybe I could be useful in a more limited scope?"

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ettin in the Playground

Gashur is not a huge tactician, but at least can say what he is sure of: "We have to heal the horses. They are pretty much exhausted and barely standing. They won't be any good for a fight in the morning if we just let them rest by themselves. And I advise against anything that might betray our presence before we arrack."

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

Leonius Caela Telum
    Aasimar Cleric

Leonius steps to the forefront. He nods at Talisin's mention. Darkvision was not their forte. My prayers; and through them, Iomedae; could support the troops. Tali makes a good point though. We need to control the influx of enemies. We need your aid, to stop them with your spider's web spells, with wettening the ground to slow the frontliners.

Spoiler
    Show
    Army fights are large in scale and take a few minutes to half an hour or longer. I feel a prayer spell does nothing. Neither does Glitterdust unless we hit enemy spellcasters. I feel our best bets is Tali casting Grease holding off for some sort of priority target like a demon cultist or a big huge demon. Talisin similarly could cast Web and Obscuring Mist and fill his turn shooting arrows.

I have similar issues, but my catalogue of spells is bigger, yet I need to conserve magic to get us up to fighting form again afterwards. I can swap spells in the morning I feel, so I have Magic Circle vs Evil and Weapons against Evil for now.
    If we are to attack in the morning I can add in Dispel Magic, Bane and Bless and switch to Protection from Outsiders (Demons) for myself if something happens.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    Gashur is not a huge tactician, but at least can say what he is sure of: "We have to heal the horses. They are pretty much exhausted and barely standing. They won't be any good for a fight in the morning if we just let them rest by themselves. And I advise against anything that might betray our presence before we arrack."
    Mong stated, "You and I are the best in this dark. We can still see clearly to a degree. Hopefully, if trouble comes it will be in the day.. "

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

The word of the enemy force at the Ford spreads rapidly as you the troop of Knights and the heroes withdraws up the valley some 2-3 miles to make sure no noise reaches the tiefling and cultsist horde. The scouting had shown poor discipline around the Ford and little in the way of organised pickets or patrols. In comparison only a few dull glowing rocks lit by Iomedae's blessing gave the crusaders some light as they pitchets their tents in 3 small clusters and heavily armed men and woman with crossbows and lances spread amonst them. Ankh then cast some alarm spells to further bolster the defences.

As dawn broke so did the camp and soon enough the baggage train is ushered to the rear with a strong reserve guard and the remaining 260 off lancers us assembled into a long line that will sweep down over the broken plain and into the enemy rabbble. As the troops assemble into their 5 files, the first 3 armed with long lances and the rear two with deadly longbows Irabeth approaches you all. A look of excitement on her green face. "An unsuspecting enemy, one that we can sweep before us. ANeiva has been scouting and brought back word."

Beside her a dust streaked Aneiva slides down from her horse, "The enemy are still there. Fire burn and it looks they have been using prisoners as forage. But they seem sated on the feasts and half drunk. They have no pickets and a sudden charge may allow us to sweep them away." Looking at the glistening steel of the armoured vanguard she grins, a hand resting on her family sword once more at her waist (a look of thanks to Leonius for that). THe young priest Sosiel look at the army and then bows low to you all from his saddle. "May I permitted to BLESS the troops before we advance?"

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ettin in the Playground

Gashur does not mind anyone blessed, inspired, enraged, or otherwise made more combat-capable at the appropriate times, but presumably it's not him who is asked, so he just prepares himself. He uses the dragonscale to turn himself into a troglodyte again (a form with which the troops are hopefully familiar) and assumes a position in the center of the whole affair just behind the lancers. He expects to be faster than them, but, being lightly armored, does not want to lead the first strike.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"If it's possible, we best send a squad to the back to prevent any from running away," Jessica said, "and warning the others. I can make a small group move much faster if needed."

She prepares her weapons and awaits the decisions.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

my mythic power allows me to have everybody in 30ft to take an immediate movement action.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

"Just point me at their commander and I'll burn them to the bone!" Tali suggests, getting swept up in the pre-battle fervour.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

as the dawn mist starts to lift the long line of cavalry stretches out, sunlight glinting off the lance tips and gleaming breastplates. By the ford there are shouts and cries of alarm as the massive throng of cultists, tiefling, mutants and outcasts sees the line of righteous steel forming up on the low rise above the ford. Irabeth, resplendent in her golden armour, her sword back in her arms now where it belongs. With a slow drop of the blade the horses start trotting forwards as the sharp eyes amongst you can see the enemy commanders, scurrying away from the mass of the troops forming up towards what was once the mill near the river where there is more cover.

So choose you tactics for mass combat
    Cavalry tactics may be a good one
    THen rolls for your Offense and Defense.

Describe what the players do for the first round of combat - in broad terms. Battlefield impacting spells can grant bonus to OM or DV

27. - Top - End - #567
    Troll in the Playground

As the crusaders form up ranks Talisin passes the dragon scale over his bow, imbuing it with the Dragon's innate goodness. As the final checks are made and Irabeth prepares to give the order for the charge the magus, touches the quiver of cold iron arrows, the conjuration magic will insure he doesn't run out of arrows. He nods to his companions and readies himself to take to the air as soon as the charge begins.

Spoiler: OCC
    Show

Pre battle buffing as the ranks line up: use the scale on my bow (align Good) the cast Abundant Ammo when the Calvary lines up for the charge. Unless there's any other plans, I'll try to go in close to the main force so I can support with limited range (and AoE spells) where useful, have Webx2, Obscuring Mistx2 and Grease x2. There's a Bull's Strength for Gashur, when he wants it (6 minute duration).

Ideally I want to ride in with the main force then fly (have 5 minutes of flight 60'/Good; Fly: +16) up and get bird's eye view to see where best I can put pressure (spells/arrows) or direct others

Spoiler: Prepared Spells
    Show

Level 1:
    • Abundant Ammo [7 minutes / 70 rounds]
    • Abundant Ammo [7 minutes / 70 rounds]
    • Grease [7 minutes / 70 rounds]
    • Grease [7 minutes / 70 rounds]
    • Obscuring Mist [7 minutes / 70 rounds]
    • Obscuring Mist [7 minutes / 70 rounds]

Level 2:
    • Web [70 minutes / 700 rounds]
    • Web [70 minutes / 700 rounds]
    • Bull's Strength

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

Leonius Caela Telum
    Aasimar Cleric

The Light of the Inheritor shines upon you this day! May Her Grace guide your blades! Leonius says as he joins the frontline in the second row himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    General tactics: Bless the frontliners, cast Archon's Aura if the enemy is within reach, and protect the spear head with a Circle Against Evil cast on himself if he spots any larger demons (or a small horde of dretches and similar). Bull's Strength on Gashur.

Last edited by Spore; 2022-10-03 at 04:17 PM.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Unless ordered somewhere else, Jessica will be in the front row, leading from the front and leaving the officers to guide the army from the back. As Leonius has already cast bless in that group, she will keep hers in reserve should the battle take longer. But when they reach the enemy, she will expend a mythic power to give all knights around her in the front row an extra boost.

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show

just before we enter in melee, use a swift action to use my Rally mythic power:
    -As a swift action, you can expend one use of mythic power to rally your allies. This gives you and each of your allies within 30 feet the option to reroll any one d20 roll after the roll is made. The granted reroll must be used before the beginning of your next turn, and the creature must take the result of the reroll, even if it is lower.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ettin in the Playground

For the start, Gashur positions himself just behind the front center. He intends to participate in softening the enemy defenses while the armies are closing in, hiding behind better-armored knights from any ranged fire he might get in return. He has some javelins and a good enough speed to use them on the move, but not enough defenses to be careless. After the knights' initial charge he is to come through from behind them and kill as many enemies as he possibly can, to crush their ranks before they can come up with any fancy tactics.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think we should get +1 OM / +1 DV from army-wide bless or suchlike. Leonius' spells are not army-wide, but they are somewhat wide, so +1 OM / +1 DV more?

Then speaking of Gashur. I'd like the guy to fight as a one-man army if the numbers work out. The tactics is defensive at first, offensive at last, so I guess works out standard. Gashur should have CR 5 (PC class, PC gear). That gives this one-man army:

GASHUR ACR 1/4
    CN Fine army of one half-orc barbarian
    hp 1
    DV 10; OM +2 ranged
    Tactics standard, withdraw
    Resources healing potions, improved armor (masterwork), improved weapon (magical), ranged weapon (javelins)
    Special darkvision, favored enemy (equivalent), low-light vision, rage, spellcasting (level 2, included)
    Speed 4; Morale +0; Consumption 1

Tactics phase:
    1. Choosing the Standard strategy for the first round of combat, as described above.
    2. Using Rage special ability: OM +2, DV -1.
    3. Claim at least OM +1, DV +1 more from group and individual buffs?
    4. No Battlefield Conditions?

Ranged Phase:
    5. Throw javelins while closing. Attack (1d20+5)[8]?

Melee Phase:
    6. Join in after the other armies engage. Attack (1d20+5)[10]? Or maybe...
    Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    (1d20+5)[17]
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-10-02 at 01:13 PM.