New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Anyone else hyped for Borderlands 3 [CONFIRMED, more info on 4/3]

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    That would be me. So should I take an evening and watch a playthrough of the Tales game?
    At the very least. Tales from the Borderlands is tied for the most entertaining Borderlands game and the most entertaining Telltale game. I still hope it gets included in a Borderlands bundle one of these days, since it's one of those games that makes me feel bad for anyone who hasn't played it.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I'm curious as to how they will approach the "explore different planets" thing.

Pandora had a big variety in biomes - arctic tundra, scorched desert, dense jungle (Hammerlock DLC), beach front/ocean paradise, slagged wasteland, urban sprawl, swampland... pretty much anything you could think of. If we're going to travel to different worlds however, in what way are those planets going to be any different from just being another type of biome?

The lore says it's on another planet, but all we can see is that the background is predominantly green and there's different kinds of bugs trying to kill us now. That's... pretty much the definition of the different zones on Pandora, isn't it?

The alternative is that they have several Pandora-sized planets with wildly different asthetics, or that there are areas which are randomly generated to give that 'exotic' vibe. Hopefully it will be anything other than "you step out of the fast-travel booth and you're on another planet now HONEST".
    It could be something like KOTOR, where there are a bunch of different planets that you visit, with different biomes and stuff, but the area that you actually visit is more limited than how much you could explore on Pandora, because events just don't hold still long enough for you to explore the whole thing. Especially if these are only backwater colonies or something where a fraction of the planet actually has any sort of human habitation. And you start on Pandora, and one of the early quests is getting your ship or whatever serves as the interplanetary hub.

Although personally I hope they keep the planet hopping to a minimum, because its hard to make planets feel like actual planets rather than just another area of the same world when you only get to see a tiny fraction of it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Also I think I may have figured out everyones special. At least in part.
    • Moze, AKA Graphics Test Girl, is the Soldier. She summons a Bear Mech that is straight out of Titanfall. Allies can hop on her mech for transportation/protection.
    • Flak, AKA Not Loaderbot, is a giant cyborg that summons a bunch of animals to fight with him. I'm guessing his trees will focus on support/sniping/summoning.
    • Norma is the Siren and she has a bunch of melee-oriented abilities, like a ground pound. I'm guessing her trees will be about tanking/mobility/blowing sh** up.
    • Zane, the old man, is a gadget expert. I don't have much info on him, but it will definitely involve a ton of technology, like holograms and drones.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-03-29 at 11:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

4. - Top - End - #94

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    • Moze, AKA Graphics Test Girl, is the Soldier. She summons a Bear Mech that is straight out of Titanfall. Allies can hop on her mech for transportation/protection.
    • Zach, AKA Not Loaderbot, is a giant cyborg that summons a bunch of animals to fight with him. I'm guessing his trees will focus on support/sniping/summoning.
    • Alana(?) is the Siren and she has a bunch of melee-oriented abilities, like a ground pound. I'm guessing her trees will be about tanking/mobility/blowing sh** up.
    • The old-man is a gadget expert. I don't have much info on him, but it will definitely involve a ton of technology, like holograms and drones.
    I've heard that the not-Loaderbot guy's name is Flak, whereas the old-man is Zane and the Siren is Norma.
    I can't verify any of that, save for the fact that it's from the same source that predicted their look and themes pretty accurately, so maybe I could be wrong.

As far as I can tell, Zane appears to be a cross between the Doppelganger and the Mercenary from the Pre-Sequel - he makes clones of himself and/or uses small floating turrets as his Action Powers. He ****s all over Axton and Gaige, if Moze wasn't already doing that with her huge warmech bringing similar support
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I've heard that the not-Loaderbot guy's name is Flak, whereas the old-man is Zane and the Siren is Norma.
    I can't verify any of that, save for the fact that it's from the same source that predicted their look and themes pretty accurately, so maybe I could be wrong.

As far as I can tell, Zane appears to be a cross between the Doppelganger and the Mercenary from the Pre-Sequel - he makes clones of himself and/or uses small floating turrets as his Action Powers. He ****s all over Axton and Gaige, if Moze wasn't already doing that with her huge warmech bringing similar support
    Thank you, got them mixed up a bit.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Axton pretty much invalidated Roland, and Gaige stole what little of Mordecai's thunder hadn't been taken by Zer0. So I'm not too chuffed at them being replaced in turn.

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Axton pretty much invalidated Roland, and Gaige stole what little of Mordecai's thunder hadn't been taken by Zer0. So I'm not too chuffed at them being replaced in turn.
    My concern is that all of the original BL 1 characters were important in BL 2 AND the Pre-Sequel. Playstyles/mechanics aside, we have not seen anything of Axton, Salvador or Fiona past their original games. who are all major characters who were not in Borderlands 1.

Rather, why do the characters of BL 1 get extra treatment? I thought Krieg had a lot more character than half of the cast combined, and he spent most of his time complaining to himself. I would have much rather have dealt with him than having to deal with Mordecai's drunk ass.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-01 at 10:13 AM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been hoping for years that they'd handle the sheer number of player characters from previous games by splitting up smaller teams of Vault Hunters on the many planets revealed at the end of BL2. Not likely to be what really happens, but it seems like a good way to give the previous characters a role while also being an excuse not to give any of them too much time in the spotlight.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I could see Axton, at the least, being kicked out or otherwise left to operate on his own because its kind of a huge character flaw that he's a reckless glory hound who doesn't take orders well. I kind of hope Krieg is actually just following around Maya, doing Krieg stuff with her while she directs him and does the thinking part of their missions. And Salvador may or may not have just bailed at some point. He was mostly after the vault for the excitement to begin with, and Pandora is his home planet.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

I would say that it is a safe bet that they haven't revealed everything there is to know about the game in 3 minutes worth of trailers. Giving people something to speculate about is also good marketing.

I see the first episode of Tales of Borderlands is free in Google Play, so I think I'm going to check that out now.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Banned

The only Borderlands character that feels completely indispensable to me is Claptrap. It's nice to see your old characters pop up and be badass, but I don't know anyone who plays Borderlands games for the plot. If Mordecai or Axton or whoever are left to small cameo roles in the next game I won't really care.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2019-03-30 at 08:46 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

I'd include Marcus as a second-tier key NPC myself, only because it just doesn't feel right when he's not narrating the opening crawl in one fashion or another. I know he couldn't have narrated Pre-Sequel since he wasn't there, but it's an anomaly. But yeah, Claptrap is the series mascot, so he has to be involved.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-03-30 at 10:15 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I'd include Marcus as a second-tier key NPC myself, only because it just doesn't feel right when he's not narrating the opening crawl in one fashion or another. I know he couldn't have narrated Pre-Sequel since he wasn't there, but it's an anomaly. But yeah, Claptrap is the series mascot, so he has to be involved.
    Marcus does seem essential. Doctor Zed too, maybe?

The series doesn't have a whole lot of essential characters, by design. The corporations generally have more character than most of the people.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

14. - Top - End - #104

Zed is amusing, but he's not terribly different in person than he is through the recorded medical vending machines. So I'd rank him as fun to include, but not absolutely mandatory. Same for people like Hammerlock, Moxxi, and MR TORGUE - their off-brand zaniness is a large part of Pandora's charm, and yet keeping them on their planet could free up attention and focus for new people to join the supporting cast if the hints of going interplanetary are borne out.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-03-31 at 12:16 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    The only Borderlands character that feels completely indispensable to me is Claptrap. It's nice to see your old characters pop up and be badass, but I don't know anyone who plays Borderlands games for the plot. If Mordecai or Axton or whoever are left to small cameo roles in the next game I won't really care.
    It'd be nice if they had actually remained badass instead of jobbing for Handsome Jack. Seriously, the whole, "Look at Jack he effortlessly wiped out everyone you knew and liked from the first game isn't he evil and cool" got on my nerves fast and was my biggest sore point of BL2 (the new gimmicks for the manufacturers making half of them near unusable and the disappearance of Atlas products entirely being a close second).

OT: I'll get more hyped if they release skill trees and we find out more about actual gameplay. Right now I'm kinda.... ehhhhh....
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    It'd be nice if they had actually remained badass instead of jobbing for Handsome Jack.
    I mostly agree. The whole "Wilhelm totally defeated the Vault Hunters from the first game, you gotta be totes badass to beat him" just didn't make any sense given how wimpy Wilhelm turned out to be, and Brick was the only one who still seemed the same as he always was when you met him. I do have to give them props for Tiny Tina, though, probably the most fun character in the entire game--if she appears again in 3 that'll be a good thing.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

TBF Wilhelm was purposefully poisoned or something to make him go down like a chump as part of Jack's plan, as far as I remember.

But otherwise, yeah. BL2 is lauded for it's writing by some people, but the way it treats its characters is criminal. Aside the BL1 Hunters getting complete character swaps in 2, the newcomers get basically nothing but a backstory. Say what you will about their shallowness, at least the BL1 characters were fun, and extraordinarily quotable.

I still sometimes say "It's like Christmas!" when I open a treasure chest, or hear "So big, so angry, so dead" chime in my head after killing a tough enemy in a game.

I couldn't tell you a single one of the non-Krieg Hunters' lines from 2, and I put over 200 hours into that game off and on over a few years.

Combined with the gameplay downgrades and it really is a poor sequel in a lot of ways.

Edit: Heh, now I think on it, the difference between BL 1 and 2's characters is just like TF2 and Overwatch. I'll take personality and pizazz over backstory that is mentioned once, optionally, and is never relevant.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2019-03-31 at 03:13 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Banned

Borderlands 2 is typically lauded for it's writing in terms of the humor. I don't know anyone who looks at the plot or characters of either game and thinks "yep, this is deep and compelling". And that's fine. It isn't trying to be.

I also think that people are forgetting how much BL2 fleshed out the original cast. I put hundreds of hours into BL1 but I couldn't have told you anything about the characters beyond "generic hunter" or "generic angry dude" etc. They didn't get actual personalities until the second game. We'll probably see the cast of 2 get much more fleshed out when they're not relegated to voiceless player avatars in the next game.

19. - Top - End - #109

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    But otherwise, yeah. BL2 is lauded for it's writing by some people, but the way it treats its characters is criminal. Aside the BL1 Hunters getting complete character swaps in 2, the newcomers get basically nothing but a backstory. Say what you will about their shallowness, at least the BL1 characters were fun, and extraordinarily quotable.
    It ain't gonna be for the plot and themes.

This is the game where it tries to be big and dramatic and kill a character and then in the very next area has a comedy sidequest where the bad guy pays you to commit suicide and you get to collect because the resurrection mechanic is fully diagetic and is really happening in the world.

Also, the mission hub with all the shops and NPCs buggering off until you finish a dungeon so you can't do anything there is criminal in a loot driven game.

Needed more sidequests too. Lots of the fun in Blands 1 was driving around doing odd jobs for random weirdos, and only Ellie's clan feud chain really delivered on that in 2.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2019-03-31 at 06:33 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    It ain't gonna be for the plot and themes.

This is the game where it tries to be big and dramatic and kill a character and then in the very next area has a comedy sidequest where the bad guy pays you to commit suicide and you get to collect because the resurrection mechanic is fully diagetic and is really happening in the world.

Also, the mission hub with all the shops and NPCs buggering off until you finish a dungeon so you can't do anything there is criminal in a loot driven game.

Needed more sidequests too. Lots of the fun in Blands 1 was driving around doing odd jobs for random weirdos, and only Ellie's clan feud chain really delivered on that in 2.
    I actually hated the sidequests in 1. Too much running hither and yon and back to hither every time a new quest came up. Let me just explore an area, shoot everything that moves and most of the things that don't, and then not have to come back to it again for at least an hour.

21. - Top - End - #111

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I actually hated the sidequests in 1. Too much running hither and yon and back to hither every time a new quest came up. Let me just explore an area, shoot everything that moves and most of the things that don't, and then not have to come back to it again for at least an hour.
    In Blands 1 it felt much more like you could pick up a bunch of extra things to do in a zone and just drive/wander around doing them all.

Whereas in Blands 2 you'd do the story bit in the zone and then have to go back round to do like one sidequest that wouidn't offer in that zone until after you'd otherwise completed it and everything had respawned.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

In Blands 1 it felt much more like you could pick up a bunch of extra things to do in a zone and just drive/wander around doing them all.

Whereas in Blands 2 you'd do the story bit in the zone and then have to go back round to do like one sidequest that wouidn't offer in that zone until after you'd otherwise completed it and everything had respawned.
    Im aware. I prefer the way 2 does it. I get thoroughly sick of a zone if im just wandering around doing laps of it for an hour trying to complete all the side quests before I feel I can leave. Especially if there isn't anything to shoot. Shooting should be a significant part of a loot shooter.

23. - Top - End - #113

Flumph

Im aware. I prefer the way 2 does it. I get thoroughly sick of a zone if im just wandering around doing laps of it for an hour trying to complete all the side quests before I feel I can leave. Especially if there isn't anything to shoot. Shooting should be a significant part of a loot shooter.
    Yeah, but in Blands 2 it meant grinding through loads of bullet sponge enemies with minimal drops.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yeah, but in Blands 2 it meant grinding through loads of bullet sponge enemies with minimal drops.
    That's never really been my experience. I mean yeah, you have to kill things, but its not like its some deep time consuming task or anything.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

That's never really been my experience. I mean yeah, you have to kill things, but its not like its some deep time consuming task or anything.
    Did you never play BL2 on the harder difficulties? You know, where even non-boss enemies can take 3 or 4 headshots while their return fire will take your shield in one hit and your life the next?

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Did you never play BL2 on the harder difficulties? You know, where even non-boss enemies can take 3 or 4 headshots while their return fire will take your shield in one hit and your life the next?
    I did. With friends, even. But by the time you get there, if the act of actually playing the shooter part of the game isn't appealing to you, youre being incredibly silly by still playing. You've already beaten the game at least once if you've gotten that far, so if the story and seeing the quests play out was the only thing keeping you around... good job, you got what you wanted, but don't complain that you cant just keep doing it ad Infinium.

27. - Top - End - #117

The removal of Slag damage is, to me, a promise of great things to come for gameplay. The mandatory need for Slag to punch through the grossly over-inflated health pools of enemies in late TVH mode and UVH mode were what ruined the experience - as mentioned, there was no difficulty increase except for turning everything into massive bullet sponges.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I also think that people are forgetting how much BL2 fleshed out the original cast. I put hundreds of hours into BL1 but I couldn't have told you anything about the characters beyond "generic hunter" or "generic angry dude" etc. They didn't get actual personalities until the second game. We'll probably see the cast of 2 get much more fleshed out when they're not relegated to voiceless player avatars in the next game.
    I'm not forgetting, it's just not relevant. And the game didn't really flesh out the BL1 characters any more than the bonus material for BL1 did, besides the Lilith/Roland romance.

"Generic hunter" was still fun to play, had some great voicelines, and good voicework for its purpose. Mordecai was not a DEEP character, but he was an ENTERTAINING one in BL1, which I can't say for the BL2 cast.

In expanding the writing for the side characters/NPCs they skipped out on the characters you're stuck with for the entire game, having to hear their voicelines over and over and over again.

I would rather have four characters with quotable, fun voice reactions to stuff that I can hear for hundreds of hours without getting tired of them than have slightly "deeper" but way less interesting to listen to characters in a looter shooter. I don't play Diablo for the story either; I don't care about the characters' stories, such as they are. I like that each character has amusing voice quips they say when they do stuff.

I don't play these games for the story.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

I wouldn't say the player characters had a lot of character, but they seemed to have more character to them than Diablo characters did. Granted that isn't saying that much. But where Borderlands blows Diablo out of the water for me is the fact that the world of Borderlands and the NPCs have ten times the character that Diablo's did.
    I also don't play either game to get the most amazing loot and push and push to get an extra 5% damage, there is nothing interesting in a bit of extra damage, especially when it doesn't open up any more options. I did play Diablo a lot more just grinding loot, but that was *only* because I had someone else to play with and it was something for us to do together. I think I've played Diablo for all of 5 minutes once we stopped playing together as there wasn't really anything interesting left to do. Even playing together I was more likely to want to start a new character than to get the a slightly better version of the same items I'm already using.

I always felt like Borderlands felt so much better with 4 players. Even with PUGs (at least semi-competent ones, though I rarely had issues with other players), the increase in difficulty and special enemies made the game better, as well as allowing everyone to be more aggressive and just made the game more fast paced.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Scooter is dead, so you can expect Moxie and Elie to pick up the Catch-A-Ride system.
    WHAT?!?!

No! Scooter was the best!

Let's make these Tales things non-canon then. I want Scooter in BL3! He was better than Moxie and Ellie combined.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.