New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Wizard Competition I

Original Thread Here.

This competition is based on an argument in the above thread, about whether or not the optimized sorcerer build there can truly be better than a wizard. However, to decide which wizard build should be allowed to compete against him, and operating semi-reasonably, I have started this competition.

The Rules:
    • 32 Point-buy
    • 2 Flaws allowed
    • Variants from Unearthed Arcana allowed, including Taint.
    • Maximum of three contingency spells- let's face it, it's an unfair spell.
    • LA Buyoff Allowed.
    • WBL is 750k gold.
    • You begin with enough experience to place you halfway between level 20 and level 21.
    • No epic monsters, items, PRC or advancement.
    • No Gestalt.
    • All official books allowed- this includes all first-party materials written by Wizards of the Coast, all endorsed content (Kingdoms of Kalamar, Dragonlance Campaign Setting, Dragon Compendium, Oriental Adventures, Etc.) and all online published content.
    • No Dragon Magazine- No Dragon Magazine content is allowed, save that which is printed in Dragon Compendium, for simplicity's sake.
    • NO INFINITE LOOPS- This competition isn't an exercise in who can chaingate the most Solars. Exploiting the rules is alright, even for a small amount of cheese. It may come out of your score later on.
    • No Tailor-made Builds- Regardless of whether or not Lord Draco uses the build in the original thread, this does not give one the right to make a build specifically designed to counter his. I don't think this is as big an issue, but still, it bore saying.
    • 3e content is allowed, but PM me on how it will translate to 3.5.
    • No levels in other full-casting classes- PrCs that advance spellcasting are alright, going Wizard 1/Cleric 19 is not. Again, I don't think this will be an issue.

Those are the rules for just this portion of the competition. A 20th-level statblock for your entry must be PMed to me by May 16th 7:00 GMT -4.

These will be judged in the following categories, 1-5, 1 being unacceptable and 5 being exemplary.

• Power: This is the most important category. The build must be powerful, in order to survive in the arena.
    • Wizard-ness: How well this build exemplifies being a "Wizard". For example, an Incantatrix Wizard is very wizard-y, while a Rainbow Servant Wizard may seem decidedly less so.
    • Elegance: The rules allow for as much cheese as one wants, but that doesn't mean we have to like it. If a build is just "wrong",it will come out of this score.
    • Style: Let's face it, we're all just here for the cool builds.

The winner will be placed in direct competition with Lord Draco's sorcerer build, from the original thread, inside a randomly generated 3.5 dungeon. This should avoid giving the homefield advantage to either. There, they will be able to set up shop if need be. In-Game, going 2 days without direct conflict is considered admitting defeat. This part of the competition will be held on May 22nd, at 8:00 GMT -4. Also, having a backstory may not be necessary, but boy is it fun. Maybe we should do something with that.

Rules disputes should be either asked in this thread or PMed to me.
    I will post the statblocks as I receive them. I will not show the original author.
    No speculative posts, please.
    Leave the arguing for the other thread.
    If you want to judge, PM me. Still accepting judges. Will edit post when I am no longer accepting judges.
    Happy playing.
    Last edited by atemu1234; 2015-05-11 at 08:58 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Wizard Competition I

Sorry, but is LA buyback allowed? The last post in the original thread about the rules still said yes, but your list above does not say either way.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

So its a competition to see who gets to fight him?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    Sorry, but is LA buyback allowed? The last post in the original thread about the rules still said yes, but your list above does not say either way.
    Yes. I'll edit the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    So its a competition to see who gets to fight him?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

5. - Top - End - #5

Am I allowed to submit Xamnim?

He uses an Item Familiar which is also a Custom Item of Legacy, and a Custom Bloodline.
    He loses 2 Caster Level, but with a permissive DM (who ignores a ruling) gets massive boosts to Caster Level, HP and Intelligence.

I'll PM you the build with minimal equipment and an explanation to the stats, just so you understand why everything looks so wrong.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I would argue that a Rainbow Servant Wizard is more Wizardy than an Incatatrix Wizard, on the basis that it is illustrating a build option available to Wizards which is not available to Sorcerers. In contrast, a Sorcerer gets all the same abilities from Incantatrix (just has a slightly less native advantage at using them.)
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Threadnaught View Post
    Am I allowed to submit Xamnim?

He uses an Item Familiar which is also a Custom Item of Legacy, and a Custom Bloodline.
    He loses 2 Caster Level, but with a permissive DM (who ignores a ruling) gets massive boosts to Caster Level, HP and Intelligence.

I'll PM you the build with minimal equipment and an explanation to the stats, just so you understand why everything looks so wrong.
    You may want to figure out how to operate blue text, my friend.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

My inclination would be to just go straight wizard 20. Most of the dirty tricks wizards have access to don't require anything more than spellcasting.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I don't even see how this is a competition since theoretically spellcasters are immortal and immune to everything regardless what what "time contraints" you put on them.

Here is how you pseudo-pun pun. Courtesy of Emp Tippy.

First, how to do it as a psion.

Step 1: Be at least level 17 and know the power Greater Metamorphosis.
    Step 2: Use Greater Metamorphosis to change into a Lilitu (FC1, page 43).
    Step 3: Use your Item Use (Ex) ability to use a scroll of gate to gate in a Solar.
    Step 4: Order the Solar to Wish you up a scroll of Ice Assassin of a Revered Elder Phaerimm with the spells Ice Assassin, Wish, Gate, Shapechange, and Enervation as spells known and has maxed UMD.
    Step 5: Use your Item Use ability to cast your IA scroll from step 4.
    Step 6: Order your IA Phaerimm to Shapechange into a Barghest.
    Step 7: Cast Fusion with your IA Phaerimm Barghest.
    Step 8: Cast Enervation on yourself until you have at least 12 negative levels.
    Step 9: Use your Feed (Su) ability to consume 3 pre positioned humanoids (helpless, paralyzed, at 1 HP each) with at least 8 HD.
    Step 10: Use your Item Use (Ex) ability to UMD a Scroll of Restoration to remove the negative levels.
    Step 11: Use Astral Seed.
    Step 12: Kill yourself.
    Step 13: You return to life as your Astral Seed and spend a week recreating your body, when you are done you loose the HD gained from the Feed ability in step 9. You now permanently have all of the Fusion you's abilities.

That would be 19th level Sorcerer casting with all spells being treated as if they were SLA's, 17th level Psionic abilities and a whole host of Ex abilities (including Feed and Item use). Now onto the next step.

Step 14: Use your Ice Assassin spell (treated as an SLA) to create an Ice Assassin of a Psionic Elder Brain with it's powers known list being made up entirely of powers that you don't already know.
    Step 15: Use Fusion to combine with the IA Elder Brain.
    Step 16: Use Enervation to drop your HD down below 8.
    Step 17: Eat another 3 humanoids to raise an HD.
    Step 18: Use Restoration to regain the negative levels.
    Step 19: Cast Astral Seed.
    Step 20: Kill yourself.
    Step 21: Recreate your body. This time your ML becomes 20, you have an additional 423 PP, and your powers known list has just doubled (along with getting a bunch of other useful abilities).

Repeat this process to pick up every monster ability in the game along with the highest published score for each attribute and highest skill ranks in every skill and every feat in the game. Then go and do it with a Greater Deity, although you are going to end up loosing a couple of your excess HD because of inability to make him take negative levels.

The last step is to create an Aleax Ice Assassin of your original body and have him turn into your original body using his shapechange ability so that his type changes from construct to whatever you originally were. You then fuse with it and cast an epic spell that is mitigated with enough backlash damage to kill you after you have cast the Astral seed (this is the only way to get around an Aleax's Singular Enemy ability). You then recreate your body with all of your abilities (everyone of them in the game) and get on with your life.

---
    If you aren't a Psion then you can still pull this off by using the Elder Brain IA first (make sure it has Fusion, Astral Seed, Greater Metamorphosis, and enough UMD points to use the Scroll of Restoration) and ordering it to relinquish control to you once the Fusion is performed. Then you basically do the exact same thing as the Psion.

There is Also Hide Life and ungent of timelessness.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    You may want to figure out how to operate blue text, my friend.
    Nah I'm completely serious, there's a load of iffy stuff about Xamnim, which is why I'm sharing via PM and showing off how much of a munchkin I am when it comes to protecting the party from impossible encounters.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Does Beholder Mage count as non-wizard casting?

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12

Crap, forgot to put Former Vecna Blooded into that PM for Xamnim, not that it matters.

I highly doubt Xamnim is at all legal for this, but it would be nice to have a quick look over all the things I can do with the character, with minimal effort, against what LordDrako's Sorcerer can do.

I hope the fact that Xamnim is largely unfinished and missing a lot of power will swing things in favour of him being legal.

Edit: Just realized, I never specified where the Ritual of Crucimigration must be performed on Xamnim. In his own Demiplane created by Genesis, that way Planar Bubble can be cast on himself, granting every Metamagic at once without using a higher level Spell Slot.
    Also Equipment, Ring of Darkhidden Freedom of Movement Item Familiar/Legacy Item, Ring of Arcane Might, Ioun Stone (Orange Prism), Strand of Prayer Beads, Arcanist's Gloves and Magic Tattoo +3 Caster Level (3 of them for +9, if allowed to stack).

I should teach Xamnim, Rudisplorkery.
    Last edited by Threadnaught; 2015-05-11 at 01:21 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Does Beholder Mage count as non-wizard casting?
    No. Ur-Priest is also allowed.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, I may be out of my depth here...
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by defiantdan View Post
    I don't even see how this is a competition since theoretically spellcasters are immortal and immune to everything regardless what what "time contraints" you put on them.

Here is how you pseudo-pun pun. Courtesy of Emp Tippy.

First, how to do it as a psion.

Step 1: Be at least level 17 and know the power Greater Metamorphosis.
    Step 2: Use Greater Metamorphosis to change into a Lilitu (FC1, page 43).
    Step 3: Use your Item Use (Ex) ability to use a scroll of gate to gate in a Solar.
    Step 4: Order the Solar to Wish you up a scroll of Ice Assassin of a Revered Elder Phaerimm with the spells Ice Assassin, Wish, Gate, Shapechange, and Enervation as spells known and has maxed UMD.
    Step 5: Use your Item Use ability to cast your IA scroll from step 4.
    Step 6: Order your IA Phaerimm to Shapechange into a Barghest.
    Step 7: Cast Fusion with your IA Phaerimm Barghest.
    Step 8: Cast Enervation on yourself until you have at least 12 negative levels.
    Step 9: Use your Feed (Su) ability to consume 3 pre positioned humanoids (helpless, paralyzed, at 1 HP each) with at least 8 HD.
    Step 10: Use your Item Use (Ex) ability to UMD a Scroll of Restoration to remove the negative levels.
    Step 11: Use Astral Seed.
    Step 12: Kill yourself.
    Step 13: You return to life as your Astral Seed and spend a week recreating your body, when you are done you loose the HD gained from the Feed ability in step 9. You now permanently have all of the Fusion you's abilities.

That would be 19th level Sorcerer casting with all spells being treated as if they were SLA's, 17th level Psionic abilities and a whole host of Ex abilities (including Feed and Item use). Now onto the next step.

Step 14: Use your Ice Assassin spell (treated as an SLA) to create an Ice Assassin of a Psionic Elder Brain with it's powers known list being made up entirely of powers that you don't already know.
    Step 15: Use Fusion to combine with the IA Elder Brain.
    Step 16: Use Enervation to drop your HD down below 8.
    Step 17: Eat another 3 humanoids to raise an HD.
    Step 18: Use Restoration to regain the negative levels.
    Step 19: Cast Astral Seed.
    Step 20: Kill yourself.
    Step 21: Recreate your body. This time your ML becomes 20, you have an additional 423 PP, and your powers known list has just doubled (along with getting a bunch of other useful abilities).

Repeat this process to pick up every monster ability in the game along with the highest published score for each attribute and highest skill ranks in every skill and every feat in the game. Then go and do it with a Greater Deity, although you are going to end up loosing a couple of your excess HD because of inability to make him take negative levels.

The last step is to create an Aleax Ice Assassin of your original body and have him turn into your original body using his shapechange ability so that his type changes from construct to whatever you originally were. You then fuse with it and cast an epic spell that is mitigated with enough backlash damage to kill you after you have cast the Astral seed (this is the only way to get around an Aleax's Singular Enemy ability). You then recreate your body with all of your abilities (everyone of them in the game) and get on with your life.

---
    If you aren't a Psion then you can still pull this off by using the Elder Brain IA first (make sure it has Fusion, Astral Seed, Greater Metamorphosis, and enough UMD points to use the Scroll of Restoration) and ordering it to relinquish control to you once the Fusion is performed. Then you basically do the exact same thing as the Psion.

There is Also Hide Life and ungent of timelessness.
    So, just one problem. Who is your enemy? Where ? I know he is a thread? Maybe he alread do it, but better .

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDrako View Post
    So, just one problem. Who is your enemy? Where ? I know he is a thread? Maybe he alread do it, but better .
    ...what? Your comment doesn't really make sense, please clarify.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

I'm not entirely sure how you can do better than literally everything in existence. Also, who and where are covered by portfolio sense, aren't they?

EDIT: I'm not entirely familiar with the psion's TO tricks, i don't know if it actually gets portfolio sense, i only skimmed the wall of text.
    Last edited by Zytil; 2015-05-11 at 10:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

• Wizard-ness: How well this build exemplifies being a "Wizard". For example, an Incantatrix Wizard is very wizard-y, while a Rainbow Servant Wizard may seem decidedly less so.
    Perhaps this should say something about versatility rather than a more vague "wizard-like"?

Edit: And, what standard of wizard are we comparing to? The PHB one has a familiar, but many folks here might consider an abrupt jaunting wizard to be equally "wizard-like".
    Last edited by GilesTheCleric; 2015-05-11 at 10:52 PM.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"
    I do still exist. I'm active on discord. Priestess of Neptune#8648

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Translated as: What if I'm pun-pun. Inb4 pun-pun vs pun-pun battles of nigh-infinities and true infinite growth errors. Who can loop higher/faster.
    The Giantitp Drinking Game!
    Anytime someone mentions "strawman" or "stormwind" take a drink.

For next level difficulty, also take a drink when someone mentions "fallacy" or "logic."

Sorry if my posts get incoherent

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

I submit pun-pun with a spellbook and a pointy hat. so much sarcasm
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities... Quickly please, before they are out of range."

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!!"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darkweave31 View Post
    I submit pun-pun with a spellbook and a pointy hat. so much sarcasm
    I believe that violates the "no infinite loops" rule in every way it's possible to violate that rule.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2015-05-12 at 04:20 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quite. Now, I have a joke statblock from Threadnaught, which I won't allow. Lord Draco's posts are based off of a poor understanding of the rules; we must respond by having a better understanding of the rules, and helping him understand precisely why a Wizard is considered the strongest class in the game. I don't know if in direct combat a wizard would win, because its power lies in one word: Mutability.

A wizard can change its abilities to suit the situation it is in; it can divine a solution, and use that to his advantage, to be prepared for his foe. This is direct combat, with less ability to change spell slots. Yes, you may still defeat him, but unless you have used something particularly cheesy, he has access to the same tricks, for the most part.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Threadnaught
    Xamnim Rekrolpsidur Dezimitpo

Race: Necropolitan Gray Elf (Reincarnated to Raptoran, grew to Venerable, Reincarnated back to Gray Elf with 18 base Strength and Dexterity, created by Dread Necromancer 8/Enhanced Undead Necromancer Wizard 1 in a Fell Energy Desecrate with an altar)

Class: Domain (Transmutation) Elven Generalist Wizard 20

HP: 511-720

Str: 21 (+5)

Dex: 26 (+8)

Con: - ()

Int: 37 (+13)

Wis: 27 (+8)

Cha: 26 (+8)

All stats above are based on 32 point buy, with 16 points into Intelligence, 8 in Wisdom and 8 in Charisma. Reincarnation is assumed to be used enough to get the perfect Elf body after gaining the Raptoran's Aging effects. If it doesn't work that way, then Strength and Dexterity may be reduced by 6 each without really affecting the character too much.
    Each stat is calculated with a +5 Inherent Bonus from Wish and Intelligence, Wisdom and Dexterity all benefit from the Elf Bloodline.

Other important stats.

Attack/Grapple: +28/+28

Ranged/Touch: +30

Base Attack Bonus: +10/+5

Initiative: +21

AC: 30

Touch: 30

FlatFooted: 9

For: +19

Ref: +27

Wil: +33

Elf Bloodline allows Xamnim to use his Intelligence bonus on checks based on any physical activity as well as all Saving throws.

Flaws: Murky-Eyed: Reroll concealment, take worst result.
    Vulnerable: -1 AC.

Feats: Collegiate Wizard, Aerenal Arcanist, Faerie Mysteries Initiate (), Eschew Materials, Item Familiar (Bonus Feat), Spontaneous Divination (Bonus Feat) Southern Magician (ignoring Regional prereq), Versatile Spellcaster, Improved Toughness.

A few iffy things here, FMI is of course, Dragon material. Item Familiar is gained through the Elf Bloodline, Spontaneous Divination and Versatile Spellcaster combine with the Eidetic Spellcaster ACF to make a Spontaneous Wizard and Southern Magician is assumed to be remodeled for Eberron, with the Aerenal Elves being south of Khorvaire.

Caster Level: 23 (further +2 on 1st level Spells 2/day, +4 for 10 minutes per day, if Create Magic Tattoo is allowed to stack with itself Caster Level is 29)

Spells Per Day
    Lvl0: 4
    Lvl1: 8
    Lvl2: 7
    Lvl3: 7
    Lvl4: 7
    Lvl5: 7
    Lvl6: 6
    Lvl7: 6
    Lvl8: 6
    Lvl9: 6

Spells Known
    Spoiler: 0th level
    Show
    Acid Splash
    Amanuensis [SpC]
    Arcane Mark
    Caltrops [SpC]
    Dancing Lights
    Daze
    Detect Magic
    Detect Poison
    Disrupt Undead
    Electric Jolt [SpC]
    Flare
    Ghost Sound
    Launch Bolt [SpC]
    Launch Item [SpC]
    Light
    Mage Hand (Domain)
    Mending
    Prestidigitation
    Ray of Frost
    Read Magic
    Repair Minor Damage [SpC]
    Resistance
    Silent Portal [SpC]
    Sonic Snap [SpC]
    Stick [SpC]
    Touch of Fatigue

Spoiler: 1st level
    Show
    Alarm
    Benign Transposition [SpC]
    Color Spray
    Ebon Eyes [SpC]
    Endure Elements
    Enlarge Person
    Expeditious Retreat (Domain)
    Feather Fall
    Floating Disc
    Grease
    Locate City [RoD]
    Mage Armor
    Magic Weapon
    Mount
    Nerveskitter [SpC]
    Obscuring Mist
    Protection from Evil
    Reduce Person
    Silent Image
    Spontaneous Search [SpC]
    True Strike

Spoiler: 2nd level
    Show
    Dark Way [SpC]
    Disguise Undead [SpC]
    Glitterdust
    Hideous Laughter
    Invisibility
    Levitate (Domain)
    Mirror Image
    Ray of Stupidity [SpC]
    Resist Energy
    Rope Trick
    See Invisibility
    Spectral Hand
    Web

Spoiler: 3rd level
    Show
    Anticipate Teleportation
    Blacklight
    Dispel Magic
    Fireball
    Fly
    Haste (Domain)
    Lightning Bolt
    Magic Circle Against Evil
    Phantom Steed
    Shivering Touch [Frost]
    Shrink Item
    Tongues

Spoiler: 4th level
    Show
    Assay Spell Resistance [SpC]
    Black Tentacles
    Celerity [PHB2]
    Dimension Door
    Dimensional Anchor
    Enervation
    Ironbones [SpC]
    Mirror Image, Greater [PHB2]
    Polymorph (Domain)
    Ray Deflection [SpC]
    Solid Fog
    Stoneshape
    Stoneskin

Spoiler: 5th level
    Show
    Baleful Polymorph (Domain)
    Cloudkill
    Death Throes [SpC]
    Enlarge Person, Greater [SpC]
    Overland Flight
    Passwall
    Planar Tolerance [SpC]
    Reduce Person, Greater [SpC]
    Spiritwall
    Telepathic Bond [SpC]
    Transmute Mud to Rock
    Transmute Rock to Mud
    Wall of Force

Spoiler: 6th level
    Show
    Anticipate Teleportation, Greater [SpC]
    Cloak of the Sea [SpC]
    Control Water
    Disintegrate (Domain)
    Dispel Magic, Greater
    Flesh to Stone
    Freezing Fog [SpC]
    Hardening [SpC]
    Howling Chain [SpC]
    Interplanar Telepathic Bond [SpC]
    Planar Binding
    Stone to Flesh
    True Seeing

Spoiler: 7th level
    Show
    Antimagic Ray
    Awaken Undead [SpC]
    Banishment
    Control Weather
    Energy Absorption [CM]
    Energy Immunity [SpC]
    Instant Summons
    Ironguard [SpC]
    Planar Bubble [SpC]
    Project Image
    Reverse Gravity (Domain)
    Scrying, Greater
    Teleport, Greater
    Teleport Object
    Vision

Spoiler: 8th level
    Show
    Bestow Curse, Greater [SpC]
    Dimensional Lock
    Discern Location
    Fimbulwinter [Frost]
    Incendiary Cloud
    Invisibility, Superior [SpC]
    Iron Body (Domain)
    Maze
    Mind Blank
    Plane Shift, Greater [SpC]
    Spell Engine [SpC]
    Temporal Stasis

Spoiler: 9th level
    Show
    Astral Projection
    Foresight
    Gate
    Genesis
    Ice Assassin [Frost]
    Invisibility, Superior [CAr]
    Mage's Disjunction
    Replicate Casting [SpC]
    Shapechange (Domain)
    Teleportation Circle
    Time Stop
    Wish

Elf Bloodline
    Level Minor Intermediate Major
    1st +2 on Spot checks
    2nd +2 on Spot checks Shadow Shaper
    3rd Intelligence +1
    4th +2 on Spot checks Shadow Shaper Item Familiar
    5th Elf affinity +2
    6th Intelligence +1 Intellectual Agility
    7th +2 on Listen checks
    8th Shadow Shaper Item Familiar Evasion
    9th Wisdom +1
    10th Elf affinity +2 Improved Cunning Defense
    11th Elf affinity +4
    12th Intelligence +1 Intellectual Agility Rapscallion
    13th +2 on Concentration checks
    14th +2 on Listen checks Cunning Insight
    15th Dexterity +1
    16th Item Familiar Evasion Brains over Brawn
    17th Elf affinity +6
    18th Wisdom +1 Shadow Shaper, Greater
    19th +2 on Spellcraft checks
    20th Elf affinity +2 Improved Cunning Defense Magical Nexus

Shadow Shaper (Ex): At 2nd level, Hide and Move Silently are treated as class skills for the character.

Item Familiar (Su): At 4th level, by establishing a link to a particular permanent magic item you can use worth at least 2000gp, you enable that item to gain power as you gain levels. The exact nature of the item and the powers may vary.

Intellectual Agility (Su): Starting at 6th level, a character can channel their intellect to more physical needs. They add their Intelligence bonus (if any) to their initiative checks and Reflex saves.

Evasion (Ex): At 8th level and higher, the character can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If they make a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, they instead take no damage. Evasion can be used only if the character is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless character does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Improved Cunning Defense (Ex): At 10th level, you gain your Intelligence bonus as a dodge bonus to Armor Class. You do not gain this benefit when wearing medium or heavy armor.

Rapscallion (Ex): At 12th level, a character may add their Intelligence modifier to all Bluff and Disguise checks.

Cunning Insight (Ex): When making an attack roll, damage roll, or saving throw, you gain a competence bonus on the roll equal to your Intelligence modifier. Because this ability provides a competence bonus, it does not stack with itself.

Brains over Brawn (Ex): At 16th level, you gain your Intelligence bonus as a modifier on Strength checks, Dexterity checks, and checks involving skills based on Strength or Dexterity, such as Hide, Climb, and Jump.

Shadow Shaper, Greater (Ex): At 18th level, the character can hide in plain sight (as the Ranger ability, except that the character need not be in natural terrain).

Magical Nexus: You can attempt to cast spells even within a dead magic zone or an antimagic field. In a dead magic zone, you must make a successful caster level check against a DC equal to 20 + the level of the spell you are trying to cast. In an antimagic field, you must make a successful caster level check against a DC equal to 11 + the caster level of the antimagic field. If this check is successful, your spell functions normally.

Things I've decided to give my Item Familiar, base Item a Ring of Darkhidden, as a Legacy Item. WiP.

Least Abilities: Lightbringer, Magical Cipher, Telekinetic. 3/6 Least Slots.

Lesser Abilities: Cunning, Darkvision, Knock, Obscurity and See Invisibility. 6/6 Lesser Slots.

Greater Abilities: 0/4 Greater Slots.

There you go, Xamnim, a campaign destroying weapon to be deployed only in emergencies. Built on some very shaky rulings, in order to keep the rest of the party standing regardless of optimization level.
    I didn't allow it because it's based off of shaky rulings. But some of it can be picked up and used in whatever you want to do with a wizard, and other posts will be made anonymously, including yours, Threadnaught, if you want to try again.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Where's Elf Bloodline come from?
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    Where's Elf Bloodline come from?
    I'm going to hazard a guess that it's a custom bloodline from the "Creating Other Bloodlines" section of

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm

26. - Top - End - #26

I didn't allow it because it's based off of shaky rulings. But some of it can be picked up and used in whatever you want to do with a wizard, and other posts will be made anonymously, including yours, Threadnaught, if you want to try again.
    Which part is considered shaky?

Elf Generalist + Domain Wizard?

Or the Elf Bloodline?

Or something else?

I didn't see Threadnaught's build beforehand, but I see I wasn't the only one that thought of doing this :)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by shaikujin View Post
    Which part is considered shaky?

Elf Generalist + Domain Wizard?

Or the Elf Bloodline?

Or something else?

I didn't see Threadnaught's build beforehand, but I see I wasn't the only one that thought of doing this :)
    I have problems with the custom bloodlines, and the Generalist + Domain Wizard variants make me itch a little.

28. - Top - End - #28

I have problems with the custom bloodlines, and the Generalist + Domain Wizard variants make me itch a little.
    Does "Itch a little" mean that you'll allow Generalist + Domain Wizard?

I'll probably work on another build, but would like to know what I'm up against :)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Custom?

Shadow Shaper (Ex): At 2nd level, Hide and Move Silently are treated as class skills for the character.

Item Familiar (Su): At 4th level, by establishing a link to a particular permanent magic item you can use worth at least 2000gp, you enable that item to gain power as you gain levels. The exact nature of the item and the powers may vary.

Intellectual Agility (Su): Starting at 6th level, a character can channel their intellect to more physical needs. They add their Intelligence bonus (if any) to their initiative checks and Reflex saves.

Evasion (Ex): At 8th level and higher, the character can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If they make a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, they instead take no damage. Evasion can be used only if the character is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless character does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Improved Cunning Defense (Ex): At 10th level, you gain your Intelligence bonus as a dodge bonus to Armor Class. You do not gain this benefit when wearing medium or heavy armor.

Rapscallion (Ex): At 12th level, a character may add their Intelligence modifier to all Bluff and Disguise checks.

Cunning Insight (Ex): When making an attack roll, damage roll, or saving throw, you gain a competence bonus on the roll equal to your Intelligence modifier. Because this ability provides a competence bonus, it does not stack with itself.

Brains over Brawn (Ex): At 16th level, you gain your Intelligence bonus as a modifier on Strength checks, Dexterity checks, and checks involving skills based on Strength or Dexterity, such as Hide, Climb, and Jump.

Shadow Shaper, Greater (Ex): At 18th level, the character can hide in plain sight (as the Ranger ability, except that the character need not be in natural terrain).

Magical Nexus: You can attempt to cast spells even within a dead magic zone or an antimagic field. In a dead magic zone, you must make a successful caster level check against a DC equal to 20 + the level of the spell you are trying to cast. In an antimagic field, you must make a successful caster level check against a DC equal to 11 + the caster level of the antimagic field. If this check is successful, your spell functions normally.

Elf= ChuckNorris?
    Last edited by LordDrako; 2015-05-12 at 10:43 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

My random input on Threadnaught's build.

Spoiler
    Show
    Power: 5
    Q: How is the build powerful? What makes it great?
    A: It's a 'wizard' and does 'wizardy' things.
    The build is a generic answer, no tactics, no real combos, no trump cards. It's just a wizard, see spells for possible usage.

Wizardness: 7
    I like the lack of prc, but I feel the custom made bloodline rips off the factotum and rogue/monkwhich makes me feel like it just dipped around in none-caster areas instead of using caster-progressing prcs which is worse.

Elegence: 0
    Claiming wizard's use spell slots to cast (they expend prepared spells), Eidetic spellcaster appears in #357 not the dragon compendium, magical nexus comes off like it's epic-level, bloodline levels are not level adjustment, elven generalist, etc. The build is "wrong" a couple ways.

Style: 3
    Wizard build? It must be a necropoliton elven wizard! Originality is a big fat zero. The rest of it is gitp's most well known, and probably illegal, 'tricks' rolled into one with a dash of factotum. Bonus points for taking the time to list spells, then negative points for not saying which are prepared or not. Then extra bonus points for at least submitting something.

Total: 15