New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gamer

1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Gamer

His ability really is damn useful, many fictional abilities are very fight centric, but he can do anything he wants and his ability helps him.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

This thing is cool and nifty. I was mildly amused and interested until that extra bit at the end but now I'm the biggest fan of the author.
    Conquer Failed!
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

3. - Top - End - #93

The extra chapter was funny and when his friend offers to put on the dress I dead
    Its not about having good grades It's about passing the semester

Currently Playing

Sorin Dalmark
    Nicholas (Nick if he likes you) Lorchester
    Jeqem Ashthorn

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cnsvnc View Post
    This thing is cool and nifty. I was mildly amused and interested until that extra bit at the end but now I'm the biggest fan of the author.
    Conquer Failed!
    Was it a dream sequence or did that really happen?

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Was it a dream sequence or did that really happen?
    Just the author giving us some extra doodles between chapters.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Raws for new chapter out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gets a new quest from his mother and wanders off.

Then he pulls up his skill list - DAMN he has 23 skills!

Then it looks like he tries to make a specific kind of illusion barrier and succeeds - and looks HILARIOUS doing it.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: RAWS
    Show
    He appears to be experimenting in an attempt to create skills.

I note he hasn't learned life steal yet. He appears to learn two new skills and level his illusion barrier! And he has a quest!

He doesn't particularly happy about his new skills though.

My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Bwahahahaha!!!

Oh gods.. the truth about his new skill was bloody hilarious
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Something is fishy about his mom. Whatever random thing she says becomes a quest that gives him loads of free xp. Either Gamer ability made her daily random questgiver or she's the final boss masquarading as a town NPC.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show
    Well duh, obviously the skill created is based on what you're *doing*, not what you're pretending to do. So you're going to have to be actually dodging something real, dimwit

Of course, you realize he's going to need this skill for a future boss
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

He needs to grind his passive skills. He's got three IIRC, the physical toughness one, and the two that generally boost his stats. Plus misc weapon mastery skills.

What about new skills though? He could probably get some sort of speed boost by running a lot. He might be able to increase his mana regen in a similar way to how he learned his spell shield. That's really important because it lets him grind his other skills.

If he wants an escape skill he already has it. ID escape. Breaks an illusion barrier. He just needs to get it to a higher level. That will get him away from most enemies. Or creating an illusion barrier for the mundies. Similarly drilling the creation skill might get him cooler dungeons, like the healing room. Those should both be drilled. Then I would look into epic jumps.

For defensive skills he has mana shield, his resistance, and a healing spell. Drill ALL of them.

For evasion he probably just needs to practice evading a lot.
    Last edited by Lamech; 2014-02-01 at 12:05 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

A new New York IC OOC

12. - Top - End - #102
    Banned

I'm sure Sun-Il's older sister will be happy to help Kwon Shi-Hyuk with evasion practice.

THROW ALL THE THINGS

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    I'm sure Sun-Il's older sister will be happy to help Kwon Shi-Hyuk with evasion practice.

THROW ALL THE THINGS
    If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball!

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Exactly! I bet she would also be willing to help him practice his physical toughness. And provide injuries for him to heal. Its the perfect combo.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

he needs to grind his new skill
    My Class is Artificer ... "I see the secret patterns of magic, and through the items I carry, I can use that magic to protect you, heal you... or make you explode."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venom3053000 View Post
    Actually, yeah. Especially depending on affects at later levels. Status effects are glorious things, and if it begins to output something other than confusion, well... even better.
    Last edited by Lamech; 2014-02-02 at 06:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Actually, yeah. Especially depending on affects at later levels. Status effects are glorious things, and if it begins to output something other than confusion, well... even better.

yup

slow would be great or blind, poison really any status effect would be great
    My Class is Artificer ... "I see the secret patterns of magic, and through the items I carry, I can use that magic to protect you, heal you... or make you explode."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

What are some other possible effects of the fools dance upgrades: Multiple targets, longer duration, maybe intelligence damage, or rage. Hmm... possible stun from the laughter. Maybe a moral boost to his side! The possibilities are endless.
    Last edited by Lamech; 2014-02-02 at 09:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Actually, just confusion is pretty amazing.

Confusion is one of the better debuffs to land on enemies.

Generally, they have about a 50% chance to attack themselves/teammates, and even if they don't, they hit a random person with a random ability. Either way, they usually aren't making an effective action.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venom3053000 View Post
    I suspect he doesn't need to grind it; it will just go up if he acts naturally.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    I suspect he doesn't need to grind it; it will just go up if he acts naturally.
    Yeah, we'll probably be getting a "your ability levelled up" brick joke at least once after he does something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

While I think it's not very likely, do we know if grinding skills gives experience?

I can definitely see problems potentially resulting from grinding common day-to-day skills, only to be unable to level combat abilities because it starts taking too much experience.

I... may have had an entirely useless Morrowind character resulting from this.
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    While I think it's not very likely, do we know if grinding skills gives experience?

I can definitely see problems potentially resulting from grinding common day-to-day skills, only to be unable to level combat abilities because it starts taking too much experience.

Well, it would explain why main characters tend to have the social skills of a brick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    It was even worse in Oblivion and Skyrim because of the level scaling -- you could become very very good at lockpicking and stealing, only to discover that because the game now thinks you're highly skilled, every enemy is massively dangerous and you have no combat skills that can handle them.

So far, though, it seems like the main character in this setting can just gain more skills and advance existing ones without any real limitations. On top of this, there are apparently passive skills that raise his stats.

25. - Top - End - #115

he needs to get his low skills at least up to 10, to take advantage of that passive +10% bonus he's got. i just can't stand having bonuses i don't actually get any benefit from, even if they are to stats i don't have a lot of use for.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

Extended Homebrew Signature

26. - Top - End - #116
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lunar2 View Post
    he needs to get his low skills at least up to 10, to take advantage of that passive +10% bonus he's got. i just can't stand having bonuses i don't actually get any benefit from, even if they are to stats i don't have a lot of use for.
    This is false optimization, no? He gets +1 stat for every 10 point he puts into any stat, so focusing one stat doesn't mean reducing the benefit of his passive. Also, remainders might be hidden but not deleted.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

New raws are out.

Spoiler
    Show
    He continues playing around trying to unlock new skills. It looks like he succeeds in creating some kind of magical spear/arrow that he can throw at a target.

Then he meditates for a while and gets a stat/MP bonus.

Other than that, not a lot going on, it looks mainly like an exposition chapter.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

If I had those powers I'd try to shape mana into "bottles" that I can form around an attack, allowing me to store it for later use. That way you could create a bunch of bottled Spiral Energy Bolts in downtime, and rely on those instead of mana in battle.

If you can shape the bottle into a spike and release the attack from its tip then all the better.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Translation is out, btw. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/223304/...3_by_bap-scans

Spoiler
    Show
    Not a lot going on, he's just figuring out his skills. No real big new information in the chapter.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-02-10 at 02:17 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Raw
    Show
    So, he wanders into an illusion barrier. A bunch of messages. Then he discovers a super cool menu. And he USES IT! Then he finds an apperently dead girl.

After using all the stuff the zombies dropped, probably some new discoveries and lots of healing he gets the girl back on her feat. They talk. Black Summoner appears and poofs away with the girl.

Prediction: He resurrected a dead girl. Completing the Black Summoner's goal.
    ME WANT TRANSLATION, RAWS SUPER COOL
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC