New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Hunting Grounds IV: Drops Contain 0% RNG

The grenade ruffles a few hairs on the monster's flank; it doesn't even turn around. Shouldn't present any trouble to Tier getting away to his ship.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: [Somewhere...]

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    Mel coughs a few times and looks around blearily

Looks like it... Dang, but I'm doing a poor job of keeping my rear off the floor today. Thanks for the rescue and revive.
    [Grassy Plains]

"You're welcome, but I didn't do it out of th' goodness of my soil-powered heart. I need information. What can y' tell me about th' man who calls himself Tier? Th' one in th' green armor?"
    Last edited by Black Socks; 2016-10-31 at 03:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gone like the wind.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    The grenade ruffles a few hairs on the monster's flank; it doesn't even turn around. Shouldn't present any trouble to Tier getting away to his ship.
    Tier runs to his small, one man fighter and opens the hatch. He climbs in and closes the hatch. The sound of engines can be heard revving and if one looks, they can see a small airplane-like spaceship take off from the ground. He flies off into the sky. Unless anyone else attacks him, one will notice that he just disappears, but not as if he faded out with invisibility. It's as if he was concealed by something, except nothing but the sky is there.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Black Socks View Post
    [Grassy Plains]

"You're welcome, but I didn't do it out of th' goodness of my soil-powered heart. I need information. What can y' tell me about th' man who calls himself Tier? Th' one in th' green armor?"
    Mel shakes his head sadly

Yer barkin' up the wrong tree, I'm afraid: I was just shy of being Lady Hunter's prisoner, truth be told, though it's a lot more complicated than that and I won't pretend I wasn't hoping things might get a lot more friendly before we were interrupted.

A frustrated and exasperated sigh escapes his chest. Then he continues.

Regardless: I don't know those guys... though they'd best stay clear of me ever seeing them again 'cause I'll be handing my boys kill-on-sight marks for the lot of 'em, now.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-11-09 at 10:37 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

[Grassy Plains]

The robot seems disappointed. Ah well, good deed for the day's been done at least.
    "M'kay. Would y' like me t' take y' back t' Huntside, or will y' be able t' find yer way back from here?"
    Last edited by Black Socks; 2016-11-10 at 05:22 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gone like the wind.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Tier lands back in the area holding a 12 gauge pump shotgun, and carrying a Model 700 with a 20x scope on his back. He is also carrying a Micro Uzi and an M32 rotary grenade launcher. He yells angirly "Alright, where is that gnome robot?
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Well then.
    "Change o' plans!"
    The robot grabs Mel and takes him back to the outskirts of Huntside.
    "Hope y' can make it from here. If not, sorry, but I've got bigger problems! See ya 'round!"
    He then tunnels over to where Tier is, but stays a few metres underground.
    "What is it? An' my name's Lanjin!" He yells.
    Last edited by Black Socks; 2016-11-12 at 01:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gone like the wind.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Well then.
    "Change o' plans!"
    The robot grabs Mel and takes him back to the outskirts of Huntside.
    "Hope y' can make it from here. If not, sorry, but I've got bigger problems! See ya 'round!"
    He then tunnels over to where Tier is, but stays a few metres underground.
    "What is it? An' my name's Lanjin!" He yells.
    Tier scans the ground for where Lanjin is and with rage in his voice says "You screwed me over! You left a witness to my last job, and I'm going to be endlessly hunted down because of you. So if this is your doing, it's time to pay up, but if it's your master's, send her a message that I want to talk to her in Riverside. As for the one you saved, tell him that I don't want to hurt him, but if he tells anyone that I did, I will hunt him down and no mortal can protect him."
    Last edited by 8BitNinja; 2016-11-12 at 02:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    Tier scans the ground for where Lanjin is and with rage in his voice says "You screwed me over! You left a witness to my last job, and I'm going to be endlessly hunted down because of you. So if this is your doing, it's time to pay up, but if it's your master's, send her a message that I want to talk to her in Riverside. As for the one you saved, tell him that I don't want to hurt him, but if he tells anyone that I did, I will hunt him down and no mortal can protect him."
    Is he bluffing? Probably not....
    "Fine. She'll meet y' at <a location in Southside>. I'm leavin' now t' give that guy th' message."
    Lanjin travels back to where he dropped off Mel.
    "The man I wanted to know about-Tier- has a message. He says that he doesn't want to hurt you, but if you tell anyone that he did, he will hunt you down and no mortal can protect you. Sorry for dragging you into this mess, but I suppose th' alternative was death, so y' can't really complain."
    Finally, he leaves to go communicate with his master. There's some preparation work to be done.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gone like the wind.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Is he bluffing? Probably not....
    "Fine. She'll meet y' at <a location in Southside>. I'm leavin' now t' give that guy th' message."
    Lanjin travels back to where he dropped off Mel.
    "The man I wanted to know about-Tier- has a message. He says that he doesn't want to hurt you, but if you tell anyone that he did, he will hunt you down and no mortal can protect you. Sorry for dragging you into this mess, but I suppose th' alternative was death, so y' can't really complain."
    Finally, he leaves to go communicate with his master. There's some preparation work to be done.
    Tier leaves to his ship and takes off.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

Mel grumbles but nods

Don't need any more immortal-grade enemies... got enough of those already. Fine, I'll keep my mouth shut.

And he heads off away from the town and out into the wilds.

12. - Top - End - #42

Default [Craggy Mountains]

Hunter picks her way up the mountainside, darting from crag to crag. The biggest guns have been left behind, although she does have her plasma sword in hand, a warning in case a dragon tries to get the drop on her, because she's not really hunting anything today. Searching, yes. Looking, although she doesn't know it, for a certain oddly-shaped rock.

To those who can hear it, the psychic song todayis a high whistling thing, skipping over many pieces, only distantly answered by a bass rumbling from beneath the earth.

Where did her poor little fox get to?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

[Craggy Mountains]

A hatchling dragon blinks sleepily: disturbed by a sound from it's sunny nap while coiled around it's favorite black rock. The strangely shaped rock is so nice and warm when baked by the sun! And it has so many curves and nooks... it's just perfect for a snuggly nap.

It yawns and stretches, showing a mouth devoid of any visible teeth and a total wingspan that doesn't quite reach an entire meter.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2017-01-12 at 01:00 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

The sword blazes even brighter - a dragon, right there before it. Tiny. Weak. Obsolete.
    Hunter takes a moment to calm the sword and slip it back into its holster (normal scabbards being less useful when the blade doesn't always exist).
    Then she gets a fox-snack from a pocket, unwraps the little bean-and-dried meat confection, and creeps towards the hatchling, holding the offering out tentatively.

Even she knows this is such a bad idea.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-01-12 at 01:22 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

[Craggy Mountains]

The tiny creature peers at Hunter, completely unsure what this newcomer is, but quite unafraid. It sniffs a few times as Hunter extracts and unwraps the treat, then opens and closes its jaws a few times and tilts its head. When Hunter holds the treat out, it stretches as far toward the tasty morsel as it can without leaving the rock: nearly losing its balance in the process and scrabbling it's tiny claws against the stone.

16. - Top - End - #46

Hunter inches closer, keeping the treat just out of reach until she's close enough to-
    Feed the treat to the hatchling and then immediately take hold of the sunning-rock, carefully lifting it just enough to get a better grip.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

The hatchling grabs the prize and returns to more solid footing on top of the stone. It gives Hunter a infantile scowl when she rocks the stone and picks it up, but the treat is far too interesting to pay all that much attention to such trivial matters. It licks and then nibbles the morsel, clearly enjoying the flavor if gently ill-equipped to actually eat it.

18. - Top - End - #48

Default [Craggy Monutains]

Poor baby. It'll get teeth someday, but that hardly helps now.

Stone (and dragon) in hand, Hunter starts carefully going back the way she came, with a little bit of circling around. The tunnel they escaped through last time will hopefully still be there, and any lingering acid should have been washed away by the rain. She's trying to go fast, but even more than that, she's trying to keep the rock-fox smooth and level so as not to alarm the hatchling. So progress isn't actually that fast.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Craggy Monutains]

Things go quite smoothly for a time, the baby dragon engrossed in it's teething-treat and the path at least vaguely familiar and essentially unchanged.

But getting near the base of the mountain, around where the DART agents send a boulder wrapped with explosives tumbling down, something from a nearby bush yells out

WAH!

The hatchling looks quizzically up at Hunter from its treat as if to ask "why did you do that?".

Then out from the bush hops a bizarre creature that looks like someone put a chicken and a lizard through a poorly designed teleporter at the same time. The hatchling is still waiting for Hunter's explanation and doesn't look.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2017-01-12 at 02:59 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

"It wasn't me." Hunter softly protests.
    She keeps walking away, but turns to fix her eyes on the monster.
    "Oh, it's a cockatrice. They're kinda like you guys, in that they turn people to stone, and are kinda reptilian, but a little sillier. And smaller, well, usually, and not as many legs. But look at those nice feathers."
    Maybe it'll recognize the hatchling as non-petrifyable and leave. Maybe it'll charge and she'll have to spin around to kick it away. It's important to be ready for anything.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

[Forest]

A large section of forest is no longer there, stripped bare seemingly overnight. A few explorers that went to investigate have reported that something is still there besides bare dirt, however, a bizarre fleshy mass coating the ground like scar tissue over a wound, one going so far as to claim seeing it move and that whatever it is, it's still alive. None have yet gone further, though, those that did evidently not confident in potentially facing whatever caused this destruction.

Perhaps others might feel braver.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: [Craggy Mountains]

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    "It wasn't me." Hunter softly protests.
    She keeps walking away, but turns to fix her eyes on the monster.
    "Oh, it's a cockatrice. They're kinda like you guys, in that they turn people to stone, and are kinda reptilian, but a little sillier. And smaller, well, usually, and not as many legs. But look at those nice feathers."
    Maybe it'll recognize the hatchling as non-petrifyable and leave. Maybe it'll charge and she'll have to spin around to kick it away. It's important to be ready for anything.
    The hatchling looks over at the cockatrice

WAH! says the cockatrice.

SCREE! replies the hatchling.

And at that, the cockatrice hops back into the bushes in a hurry! The hatchling rather smugly returns to licking its treat.

23. - Top - End - #53

That seems good.
    "Well done, little guy."
    Hunter does check to make sure there's not something scarier over her shoulder. Like a parent dragon, perhaps.

If it's all clear, back towards the mountain's base.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

[Craggy Mountains]

It would seem these dragons might just be the "hatch and forget" sort, because the parents certainly don't seem to be around. Or somebody hunted them and they haven't made their way back... who knows. Regardless, the way is clear now that the cockatrice has been scared off by the hatchling: not really understanding that the tiny thing is just a little too small to actually hunt the petrifying chicken-lizard yet.

The hatchling grunts contentedly, and otherwise ignores Hunter's movements.

25. - Top - End - #55

Well, if it wants to come along, that's just fine. Dragons are cool. Maybe she can teach it to hunt. Even cockatrices, once it gets bigger. Hunter takes the rock and its passenger down the mountainside and on the way back to town.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Huntside Town Hall

Sam will be waiting for Astrana in front of town hall as he couldn't find an inn. Despite his questions about gear Astrana might be surprised that he doesn't seem to have changed much. He isn't wearing anything under his open jacket this time as he's no longer caring about appearances, but otherwise he looks exactly the same aside from the pack sitting next to him and the holstered shotgun on his leg.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

27. - Top - End - #57
    Bugbear in the Playground

Huntside Town Hall

Astrana's is very punctual, sitting down at the table exactly at the arrange time. She is wearing a short, yet loose skirt which is hiked up somewhat by her tail, and then a black leather jacket worn over a t-shirt. By her side is that huge hyena Sam saw yesterday, it looks far more ferocious awake, with eyes like dark pools and a slobbering mouth that is dripping with saliva.

"Are you ready?" She asks, putting her hand on her hip as she stares at Sam.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Huntside Town Hall

Sam wonders what Astrana is thinking wearing such a revealing outfit to a hunt. Of course then he remembers she has a full view of his gut and thinks that he should probably not mention it to her.
    "Yeah. Wouldn't be here if I wasn't." he tells her, trying to look tough and official.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Bugbear in the Playground

Huntside Town Hall

"Excellent, let me just get my map..." Astrana puts the map that was sticking out from her bag on the table and spreads it open. "We're going to set up traps in this area, close to the town hall. it should be relatively safe during the day. We are going to remain there until the late afternoon, then we have to hurry back." She looks at Sam. "Have you done any research on the hunting grounds?"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Huntside Town Hall

Sam shakes his head at Astana. "Just the basics, Ma'am. The place's regions are so different that there wasn't much point since I didn't know our goal beforehand. What do you expect to catch?" he asks her.