New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default You are an inventor. What do you make?

You are a generic steampunky inventor. The things you can do are as different and varied as the things a 3.5 wizard can do. Purely from the point of view of awesomeness/rule of cool, what do you invent?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: You are an inventor. What do you make?

Assuming, by "steampunk-y" you mean I should look to the 18th and 19th centuries for inspiration:

An ornithopter.
    A Nautilus-style submersible.
    A pneumatic automatic clothes press, to keep my bow tie and cummerbund crisp.
    A aetheric beacon will allow me to speak with any spirits present.
    Honor guard at the funeral in the Miko Fan Club.

Those who are too stupid to run, I salute you.

Human Male, age 35

"Have you come to lecture me on my evil ways?"

"Actually, I brought you some supper. But if you'd prefer a lecture, I've a few very catchy ones prepped; sin and hellfire... one has lepers."

- Inara and Book, Firefly

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Everything I invent is also a gun.

Robotic servitors are always good. I'm thinking I'd start with a giant squid robot to sink Talyn's nautilus...
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

All of my inventions are ill-considered; Rube-Goldbergian; powered by either steam, clockwork, or Giant Space Hamsters; and frequently either fail to perform, perform in unintended and disastrous ways, or explode. It's even worse if they perform as intended.

I'm not allowed to play tinker-gnomes anymore...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

A telescopic heli-pac, some kind of raygun, and then I'll invent reasons I need to go around frying things while zipping about like a bio-mechanical dragonfly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules are for Jerks: A Chaotic Good Alignment Handbook View Post
    A fair number of people don’t quite grok Chaotic Good, since the idea of thinking for yourself while being a good person is apparently confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by linklele
    Look, a strange boy just popped into my room asking for your soul...
    Avatar by linklele, featuring a strange boy. Full signature is here.

6. - Top - End - #6

I will invent a machine machine. It will be a massive, autonomous, steam-powered machine designed to be capable of designing, modifying, and constructing inventions. Of course, without complex electronics, this thing will basically need to be an analog mercury computer approximately the size of a city. It would need to be self-sustaining, so I will have the machine machine invent an autonomous mine for coal and ores, and have it repair and upkeep itself.

You know, now that I think about it, it's probably cheaper and more practical to hire a squadron of laborers and pay them next to nothing. "Machine business conglomerate" does not sound nearly as good as "Machine Machine" though.
    Last edited by Cealocanth; 2015-10-04 at 10:59 AM.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    All of my inventions are ill-considered; Rube-Goldbergian; powered by either steam, clockwork, or Giant Space Hamsters; and frequently either fail to perform, perform in unintended and disastrous ways, or explode. It's even worse if they perform as intended.

I'm not allowed to play tinker-gnomes anymore...
    I think your problem there is relying on Giant Space Hamsters, they're much too unstable, Miniature Giant Space Hamsters are the way to go.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

First port of call is a mechanical computer.

This is just practical. It can significantly reduce the time it takes to make the calculations needed to invent.

Once I have a decent one, a universal automated production machine, i.e. something that can create anything with the right instructions. I'll settle for one that needs dials adjusted and tools switched manually. I will then sell this to business owners as a cost cutting measure, or set up my own factory. I can then make anything I want in a significant quantity.

Next I'd move from production and create a lot of communications equipment.

(These are the actions of a character I want a chance to use, Magnesium Leaf. Imagine a mad inventor with the motto 'success is when everyone buys your product.)
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    First port of call is a mechanical computer.

This is just practical. It can significantly reduce the time it takes to make the calculations needed to invent.

Once I have a decent one, a universal automated production machine, i.e. something that can create anything with the right instructions. I'll settle for one that needs dials adjusted and tools switched manually. I will then sell this to business owners as a cost cutting measure, or set up my own factory. I can then make anything I want in a significant quantity.

Next I'd move from production and create a lot of communications equipment.

(These are the actions of a character I want a chance to use, Magnesium Leaf. Imagine a mad inventor with the motto 'success is when everyone buys your product.)

I'm not so sure that's a mad inventor...that sounds like a very sane inventor with a solid business idea.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not so sure that's a mad inventor...that sounds like a very sane inventor with a solid business idea.
    Oh, he's mad alright. Disability (Depression) and some OCD, just not in the 'crazy devices that work' way.

Anyway, that sort of stuff may sound boring, but that boring stuff is how he's going to bring the singularity about (his ultimate goal is to combine the computer, communications technology, and building machine into a sentient steampunk robot).

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by SkipSandwich View Post
    I think your problem there is relying on Giant Space Hamsters, they're much too unstable, Miniature Giant Space Hamsters are the way to go.
    But Boo is one of a kind.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

An underwater city ("Portholland"). "How do we get fresh water for steam? Electricity! How do we get electricity? Steam power!"

A flying city ("Zepplondon"). When it lands, we use the local materials to build another city, no matter what the local materials happen to be. This one time we landed on the Big Island of Hawaii, and now there's a magma-powered steampunk city which covers the whole desert quadrant.

The Anti-Steam Engine, which causes clouds and mist to disappear from the air above whenever the steam engine is run in reverse. This is of course very popular in certain climates.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Gene manipulation. I use it to create mutant Tyrannosaurs with clockwork arms, top hats and monocles.

(Yes, those last three parts are added after manipulation, why do you ask?)
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2015-10-04 at 01:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

DwarfFighterGuy

A cannon that fires a blunderbuss that fires a musket that actually fires a bullet; to create a hyper-velocity, hideously inaccurate musket shot. Also, a massive set of automated bifocals designed to see in every possible spectrum that automatically adjusts itself with much whirring of gears and emissions of steam.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Gene manipulation. I use it to create mutant Tyrannosaurs with clockwork arms, top hats and monocles.

(Yes, those last three parts are added after manipulation, why do you ask?)
    You must be second rate, real inventors go back in time and change the universe's source code so the Tyrannosaurs mutate the top hats and monocles on their own!

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FocusWolf413 View Post
    But Boo is one of a kind.
    Boo is one particular Miniature Giant Space Hamster unique due to his association with Minsc. Miniature Giant Space Hamsters, however, are a well-documented breed, developed by Krynnspace tinker-gnomes from Giant Space Hamster stock. They're one of many breeds, like the saber-toothed giant space hamster, the carnivorous flying giant space hamster, and the fire-breathing phase doppelganger giant space hamster. (Not kidding, those all had stats in Spelljammer.)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

(his ultimate goal is to combine the computer, communications technology, and building machine into a sentient steampunk robot).
    Ah, now there's some Madboy to him. Building a giant, world-altering sentient factory-clank is Sparky as heck.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2015-10-04 at 01:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

The Up Goer Five, the Aetheric Ascension Apparatus. No longer shall the peoples of this world be chained to a skin, a mere film, of rock and air, but shall ascend to challenge the very heavens themselves!
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Gene manipulation's always fun (How does that work with steampunk technology, you ask? SCIENCE!), but I think I'd go with mechanical enhancements designed to increase an animal's strength, speed, and durability, as well as uplift them into sentience (of course).

All this is well and good, but I haven't quite gotten down how to alter the personality of the uplifted Mechabeasts. For some reason, vicious animals given strength and intelligence after long operations performed without anesthetic don't seem to like their creator very much. So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Gene manipulation's always fun (How does that work with steampunk technology, you ask? SCIENCE!), but I think I'd go with mechanical enhancements designed to increase an animal's strength, speed, and durability, as well as uplift them into sentience (of course).

All this is well and good, but I haven't quite gotten down how to alter the personality of the uplifted Mechabeasts. For some reason, vicious animals given strength and intelligence after long operations performed without anesthetic don't seem to like their creator very much. So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

I dunno how to decrease aggression, but if anything's messing with the hypothalmus it may be contributing to an excess thereof.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2015-10-04 at 02:54 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

You see, this is why I work with robots. Just install an aggression dial where they can't reach and they are only a danger to you when absolutely necessary.

Also, mind if I sig the last sentence? I'm planning to totally redo my signature at some point, and that sentence is just brilliant.

Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

You must be second rate, real inventors go back in time and change the universe's source code so the Tyrannosaurs mutate the top hats and monocles on their own!
    Hey, I've only got two levels to work with here, and the skill Timetravel (int) is in a source book we're not using.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

I dunno how to decrease aggression, but if anything's messing with the hypothalmus it may be contributing to an excess thereof.
    Oh, I tried to fix that by eliminating emotions entirely in one of them. Have you ever had a rhesus monkey intone the logical reasons why it's trying to kill you in a perfect monotone while coming after you with a claw hammer? Creepy.

You see, this is why I work with robots. Just install an aggression dial where they can't reach and they are only a danger to you when absolutely necessary.

Also, mind if I sig the last sentence? I'm planning to totally redo my signature at some point, and that sentence is just brilliant.
    Robots are fun, but they just seem so... limiting. It's blending machinery and mortality that I'm interested in.

Feel free to sig whatever you like, and thanks!
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

What do I make? I make her love me.

Now imagine the ways a mad inventor would try that...
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

A pet rock. But not any pet rock. The best pet rock there ever was!
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

A clockwork fan propeller based ICBM.
    Last edited by Mastikator; 2015-10-04 at 05:06 PM.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    You are a generic steampunky inventor. The things you can do are as different and varied as the things a 3.5 wizard can do. Purely from the point of view of awesomeness/rule of cool, what do you invent?

Steambike! lightning gun! chainsword! robotic delivery birds, much more reliable than normal birds, stronger too. pipe-pod transportation where you build big pipes and then board these round things to get rocketed off to your destination, oooh I know WALKING MECHANICAL RESTAURANTS! food on the go! serves to anyone around the clock! perhaps-transportation and food service! for the military, I would design rocket boat-ships, cannon-robot elephants for land warfare, and of course the ever classic zeppelins for attacking from the sky but supported by say, steamgliders that are hang-gliders but enhanced to actually FLY! and of course, has guns. however we also need more personal protection, perhaps some manner of unfolding metal armor? for goggles, we should have super-telescoping capabilities to see distant things! steam powered mechani-glove, for maximum punching power! hidden shotgun cane: firepower for the distinguished gentleman, sapient mechanical doll people made from the principles of self-puppetry, speaking of which: factories that run on self-puppetry....
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    A flying city would OBVIOUSLY be my first choice. I mean, a flying house would be neat as well, but it would probably get lonely. Plus, it's easier to show off a flying city to other people!

I would probably also invent fully independent automatons, again because that would just be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    A pet rock. But not any pet rock. The best pet rock there ever was!
    Will you travel across the land, searching far and wide?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

30. - Top - End - #30

I follow the Tao of Valorum. 'Tis a simple way of life, demanding but one thing:

Cyborgs. Under. My. Command!
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`