New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Shadow Stalker (Roguish archetype)

The Shadow Stalker (Roguish archetype)
    "...for the night is dark and full of terrors"

Spoiler: Table
    Show
    Hit dice: 1d8 (same as Rogue)
    Proficiencies: same as Rogue
    Saving throws: Dex, Int (same as Rogue)
    Skills: same as Rogue
    Equipment: same as Rogue

Level Prof. Bonus Features Sneak Attack
    1 +2 Expertise, Sneak Attack, Thieve's Cant 1d6
    2 +2 Cunning Action 1d6
    3 +2 Shadow Double, Shadow Sight 2d6
    4 +2 Ability Score improvement 2d6
    5 +3 Uncanny Dodge 3d6
    6 +3 Expertise 3d6
    7 +3 Evasion 4d6
    8 +3 Ability Score improvement 4d6
    9 +4 Mirrored Attack 5d6
    10 +4 Ability Score improvement 5d6
    11 +4 Reliable Sneak 6d6
    12 +4 Ability Score improvement 6d6
    13 +5 Double Switch 7d6
    14 +5 Blindsense 7d6
    15 +5 Slippery Mind 8d6
    16 +5 Ability Score improvement 8d6
    17 +6 Deathly Shadow 9d6
    18 +6 Elusive 9d6
    19 +6 Ability Score improvement 10d6
    20 +6 Stroke of Luck 10d6

Shadow Double
    At 3rd level, you can use a bonus action to imbue your shadow with magic, giving it substance and transforming it into a separate creature. Your shadow detaches from yourself (you cast no shadow when using this power, even in bright light) and appears next to you, ready to act according to your commands. You can use this feature twice. You regain expended uses when you finish a short ar long rest. You can keep your shadow double detached for a number of hours equal to half your rogue level (rounded down). You can end this effect prematurely as a bonus action on your turn. The effect ends immediately if you fall unconscious or you die. Your shadow double has the following characteristics:
    • Shadow copy: The shadow double has the same abilities and statistics you have, including temporary spells and effects. It resembles you in appearance, except for a darker, oil-like texture.
    • Shadow flesh: The double is a corporeal creature. It is resistant to necrotic damage but vulnerable to radiant damage.
    • Shadow wisp: due to its shadowy nature, your double can hide in any area of dim light or darkness as if it had concealment and gains advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks; when moving through such an area, the double has advantage against attacks of opportunity. While in direct sunlight, the shadow double has disadvantage on attack rolls and saves, as well as on Dexterity (Stealth) and Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.
    • One mind: Your shadow double obeys your mental commands flawlessly if able to do so. It takes its turn on your initiative, though it doesn't take an action unless you command it to. It can use its own reaction normally, and it threatens the space around it as if it were you. On your turn, you can mentally command the shadow where to move (no action required by you). You can use your action to mentally command it to take the Attack, Dash, Disengage, Dodge, or Help action.
    • One shadow: If your shadow is slain, it disappears and you remain shadowless until you acquire another one. You can do so by spending 8 hours in a dark place to magically bind another.

Shadow Sight
    You can see normally in darkness, both magical and nonmagical, to a distance of 120 feet. As an action, as long as your double and you are within 120ft of each other, you can concentrate on your shadow double to see and hear as it does; while you concentrated, your real self is considered both blind and deaf. Your concentration can break if your shadow double is hit. When not concentrating, you only have the vaguest sense of the shadow's surroundings (about 5ft or so around it) but can direct it using your own senses.

Mirrored attack
    Starting at 9th level, you can make one weapon attack yourself when you command the shadow double to take the Attack action, provided you target the same enemy as your double. While technically two separate creatures, you are still limited to one instance of Sneak attack damage between your double and you.

Double Switch
    At 13th level, as a move action, you can swap places with your shadow double, provided you are no more than 120 ft away from each other and neither is exposed to direct sunlight.

Deathly Shadow
    Starting at 17th level, your shadow self and you achieve a deadly synergy. When your double and you sneak attack and hit the same creature, it must make a Constitution saving throw (DC 8 + your Dexterity modifier + your proficiency bonus). On a failed save, double the damage of the triggering attacks against the creature. You can use this ability once per short rest.

Discussion
    The basic idea is to have a flavorful damage dealing/scouting character. Compared to other archetypes, it certainly offers more survivability. Its utility potential is good, but not as good as an Arcane trickster with its repertoire of spells. It should not overstep the Assassin as pure damage, but should be able to match it closely under optimal conditions.

I suppose the easiest ways to tone down the power level of the character would be to:
    1. have a single, persistent shadow as per Beastmaster rules (rather than following the druid's wild shape write-up); and/or
    2. require concentration to maintain the shadow double.

Thoughts? Balances? Exploits?
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2016-05-12 at 02:29 PM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Shadow Striker (Roguish archetype) - Thoughts?

Given a 60% chance to hit Deathly shadow will trigger on 50% of your turns. Given that you have two uses for (at this point) 8 hours each this means you can pretty much always have that 50% chance to trigger it. This makes it much better than other rogue archetype abilities which tend to have a similar affect, but once per combat/short rest. Having a look at swashbuckler the main other rogue archetypes which gives a way to sneak attack on your own I would suggest making it once per short rest.

Also the wording;
    double the damage of your attacks against the creature.
    This could be read that every attack for ever more has double damage. I know that sounds stupid, but someone will try it.

I assume that the ability is suppose to double the damage of you & your shadow for just those two strikes?

One other thing is whether or not you are aware of the shadows surroundings?
    Last edited by Final Hyena; 2016-05-09 at 09:19 AM.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Common Courtesy
    Show
    When asking for homebrew critique please respect everyone else's time by;
    • Stating which edition.
    • Telling us what you are trying to achieve.
    • Updating your OP.
    • Referencing non core content.
    • Making the formatting reader friendly.
    • Giving a direct link to your content.

Thank you.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Final Hyena View Post
    Given a 60% chance to hit Deathly shadow will trigger on 50% of your turns. Given that you have two uses for (at this point) 8 hours each this means you can pretty much always have that 50% chance to trigger it. This makes it much better than other rogue archetype abilities which tend to have a similar affect, but once per combat/short rest. Having a look at swashbuckler the main other rogue archetypes which gives a way to sneak attack on your own I would suggest making it once per short rest.
    Seems quite reasonable. I missed the restrictions on the use of the death attack. Changed. Nice work on getting the probability right, btw.

Also the wording;
    This could be read that every attack for ever more has double damage. I know that sounds stupid, but someone will try it.

I assume that the ability is suppose to double the damage of you & your shadow for just those two strikes?
    Indeed, that is correct. Reworded.

One other thing is whether or not you are aware of the shadows surroundings?
    I would say no, or only in the vaguest of senses (emphatic link, perhaps?), same as with a familiar. And just as with a familiar, you are able to get a more direct feed of your double's perception by foregoing your own.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2016-05-09 at 09:36 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    I would say no, or only in the vaguest of senses (emphatic link, perhaps?), same as with a familiar. And just as with a familiar, you are able to get a more direct feed of your double's perception by foregoing your own.
    I would limit it to 5 feet from the shadow plus what you can see. It keeps it from being a broken scouting tool at level 3, but allows some manoeuvrability for a creature that can go through walls, has great stealth skills and can die (I assume it has your hp/ac) without much loss.

Edit; Is it technically possible for both you and your shadow to sneak attack at 9th level? It's the same turn, but you're different creatures?
    Last edited by Final Hyena; 2016-05-09 at 09:47 AM.
    Show
    • Stating which edition.
    • Updating your OP.

Thank you.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I would limit it to 5 feet from the shadow plus what you can see. It keeps it from being a broken scouting tool at level 3, but allows some manoeuvrability for a creature that can go through walls, has great stealth skills and can die (I assume it has your hp/ac) without much loss.
    I would rather take out the incorporeal bit, or put in a range limit, rather than limit its vision too much right away. Scouting is something I had in mind when came up with the idea.
    As for the dying part, I put in a clause that destroying the shadow makes it unavailable, to disincentive its careless usage. Still more expendable than you, I guess.
    Edit; Is it technically possible for both you and your shadow to sneak attack at 9th level? It's the same turn, but you're different creatures?
    Good question. What is more balanced?
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2016-05-09 at 10:08 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #6

I would rather take out the incorporeal bit rather than limit its vision too much. Scouting is something I had in mind when came up with the idea.
    As for the dying part, I put in a clause that destroying the shadow makes it unavailable, to disincentive its careless usage. Still more expendable than you, I guess.
    That sounds reasonable.
    Good question. What is more balanced?
    Limiting it to one sneak attack per turn between the two of you, otherwise it's kinda broken.
    Show
    • Stating which edition.
    • Updating your OP.

Thank you.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

That sounds reasonable.
    No more incorporeal then. It was probably too much anyway as a standard feature. But I did add having the advantage against AoO when moving in the shadows.
    Limiting it to one sneak attack per turn between the two of you, otherwise it's kinda broken.
    I came to the same conclusion as I thought about it.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #8

Default Re: Shadow Stalker (Roguish archetype) - Thoughts?

Had an additional thought, This might be a bit much if combined with spellcasting classes, you can have two concentrations going. I'm currently imagining taking 3 levels in this to essentially have a double warlock.

Might I suggest making the ability like rage, you can't cast spells while it is up and lose concentration.
    Show
    • Stating which edition.
    • Updating your OP.

Thank you.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Had an additional thought, This might be a bit much if combined with spellcasting classes, you can have two concentrations going. I'm currently imagining taking 3 levels in this to essentially have a double warlock.

Might I suggest making the ability like rage, you can't cast spells while it is up and lose concentration.
    Double warlock would be cool and flavorful. Mind though that since the double's actions are limited to basically moving and attacking, and that it uses your action to do so, you would not get much more mileage out of spells than the average character. I believe it would probably end up being about on par with a straight rogue.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

10. - Top - End - #10

I forgot the limit of you having to make a weapon attack, even going 2 fighter 2 warlock is a heavy cost for a one time use of eldritch +cha + hex & a full sneak attack.

I do love this rogue.
    Show
    • Stating which edition.
    • Updating your OP.

Thank you.