New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #819 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Forikroder View Post
    why are people thinking Tarquin for some reason botched his attempt to catch Nale?

Nale is alone in Tarquins castle
    And Tarquin is the only one that can see him, unless T. routinely hands out rings of true seeing to his low-leve guards. And Nale can still cast Dimension Door.

Tarquin not only failed to put a sword through the guts of his nation's most wanted criminal, he also gave said criminal important tactical information. All Nale needs to do now is to devise a tactic that defeats true seeing, and then, patricide.

2. - Top - End - #62

NecromancerGuy

Glorious. Simply glorious.

Tarquin is an evil S.O.B. but has tons of style, smarts and panache. A positively fascinating, horrifying and fun character to watch.

My congratulations on crafting such a memorable individual, Rich!

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian ItP

Tarquin not only failed to put a sword through the guts of his nation's most wanted criminal, he also gave said criminal important tactical information. All Nale needs to do now is to devise a tactic that defeats true seeing, and then, patricide.
    Frankly, I very much doubt that Tarquin doesn't have contingency plans for dealing with Nale, even if Nale knows about the ring of True Seeing.

In the Tarquin vs. Nale confrontation, I think I'd bet for Tarquin without a doubt.
    Last edited by JoseB; 2011-12-09 at 02:46 AM.
    JoseB

o/` Ooooh, sweet mystery of liiiiiIIIIIiiife... o/`

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    You might even say...

*sunglasses*

He saw right through him
    YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!

Run, Nale, run.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Spamalot in the Playground

Too smug. TOO smug! No matter how many points he just got from me for making Nale piss himself, I can't wait for Tarquin to get taken down.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

That was amazingly awesome.

Unfortunately, Tarquin capturing Nale will probably lead to Tarquin finding out about the Gates. And Tarquin finding out about the Gates is BAD.
    "Thus, we are all composed of stardust, or if you're feeling a tad more cynical, solar excrement." -- Dr. James Kakalios

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian itP View Post
    And Tarquin is the only one that can see him, unless T. routinely hands out rings of true seeing to his low-leve guards. And Nale can still cast Dimension Door.

Nale needs to devise a clever, effective tactic to defeat his foes? He's doomed. Also this: "All guards, enact the invisible intruder protocol!" After all, if he's prepared for shape-changers, why not invisible enemies? Or teleporting enemies? I suspect Tarquin drills his guards constantly on how to break the most effective PC tactics, or at the very least has written a very helpful field manual for them to consult when up against game breaking things like that.

Really, Nale's chances of getting away after the villain's smug "I have you now" speech are nil unless he just happened to become a protagonist between now and the last time we saw him. Personally, I'd say that either Tarquin's going to cut some kind of deal with Nale (possibly letting him go only after throwing a tracking device on him...), or we've reached a point in the story that is close enough to the end that Nale's character has become redundant, and will be purged in an act of awesome villainy.

And then return in less than a dozen pages, because it's been established that in-universe logic renders Nale's permanent death impossible.

Unless you use soul-binding magic; but only a rich, high-level Evil character would do th-

Oh.
    Last edited by Squeejee; 2011-12-09 at 02:58 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Too smug. TOO smug! No matter how many points he just got from me for making Nale piss himself, I can't wait for Tarquin to get taken down.
    Exactly. As genre-savvy as Tarquin is, he should know that it's a bad idea to brag when you could stab

Nale needs to devise a clever, effective tactic to defeat his foes? He's doomed. Also this: "All guards, enact the invisible intruder protocol!"
    The guards are all outside, enacting the shapeshifter protocoll. And even if they weren't, the invisible intruder protocoll does (probably) nothing against Dimension Door.
    Last edited by Bavarian itP; 2011-12-09 at 03:07 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68

NecromancerGuy

Exactly. As genre-savvy as Tarquin is, he should know that it's a bad idea to brag when you could stab
    As I said earlier, I very much doubt that Tarquin doesn't have contingency plans in place for dealing with this kind of situation.

OR-- Nale manages (against all odds) to kill daddy and usurp his place, only to make such a mess of things that he ends up with his head on a pike after losing the Empire to an invasion.
    JoseB

o/` Ooooh, sweet mystery of liiiiiIIIIIiiife... o/`

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

No point in running really, Tarquin probably is packing a ring of the ram or something for a one-hit KO in the next strip...

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by JoseB View Post
    As I said earlier, I very much doubt that Tarquin doesn't have contingency plans in place for dealing with this kind of situation.
    But why should he rely on the contingency plan when he just could stab Nale? That's stupid, that's exactly the kind of behaviour that kills the villains in James Bond movies.

Unless you use soul-binding magic; but only a rich, high-level Evil character would do th-
    Believe me, I would love to see this. That's why I'm mad at Tarquin.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

Maybe Tarquin will capture/torture/enslave/lendtoMalack Nale and either the Order will have to rescue them because they are mostly good, or the Guild will temporarily join the order to maximise manpower and overthrow Tarquin after dealing with the gate.. cos that would be an awesome story arc

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh boy, this is going to be good .
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    "Killing is WRONG Celesto."
    "My God you're right"

Awesome Professor Dandria avatar by Ceika, queen of the awesome.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

But why should he rely on the contingency plan when he just could stab Nale? That's stupid, that's exactly the kind of behaviour that kills the villains in James Bond movies.
    You do realise that's precisely the kind of villain he wishes to be, right? Swashbuckling, wise-cracking, moustache-stroking, over-the-top villainous villainy villain?
    Quote Originally Posted by i6uuaq View Post
    My bid to win an internet.

Spoiler
    Show

To those who say that the timing is wrong for familicide, besides the fact that dry air can mummify bodies effectively, and this has been observed in real life, I offer this second thought:

Do I win?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

2nd last panel is priceless.

Tarquin is a top badass and evil villan, but you gotta love him for his awesomeness.
    Last edited by Tundar; 2011-12-09 at 03:42 AM.
    Once you go scaly, you'll be back daily.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'm surprised Tarquin didn't take Malack's staff and lay a non-lethal beatdown on Nale.

I am not convinced Tarquin would want to try using a Gate. He could be smart enough to realize the risks of messing with one.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tarquin is awesome!
    And boy does he relish demonstrating that not only does he THINK he's better than everyone else, he actually IS.

17. - Top - End - #77

You do realise that's precisely the kind of villain he wishes to be, right? Swashbuckling, wise-cracking, moustache-stroking, over-the-top villainous villainy, dead villain?
    Fixed for you

18. - Top - End - #78
    Bugbear in the Playground

You do realise that's precisely the kind of villain he wishes to be, right? Swashbuckling, wise-cracking, moustache-stroking, over-the-top villainous villainy villain?
    Yeah, the thing that Elan and Tarquin share are their love of the dramatic and Tropes.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Based on The Crayons of Time I think the Tarquin family are Draketooths -- check out the hairdos and goatees. I don't see Tarquin as being in all that much of a hurry to despatch his treacherous son, unless he was forced to do it. It's his son after all. He probably figures to keep Nale "pointed in the right direction". Awesome storytelling.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Cisturn View Post
    Oh man, you gotta love Nale's face as he's running away. Oh Malack Is going to be upset. Anyone think he has a chance of getting away?
    Absolutely not. Tarquin wouldn't have revealed he could see Nale unless he was pretty darned sure he would be able to stop him escaping!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Halfling in the Playground

HAHAHAYES! If I had a Fantasy Fantasy team, it'd probably just be Tarquin and O-Chul. Nale's body may be running, but his ego and his intellect are in negative hit points...

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Rich, why do your villains all rock so much?
    A good DM knows how to make cool villains. And if Rich isn't a good DM, then he's at least writing one for OOTS.

22. - Top - End - #82

GreataxeFighterGirl

I'm in love.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

It is sad and awesome at the same time how every "plot hole" regarding Tarquin is fixed a hand full of strips later and still people are complaining.

Very nice strip, I am hoping for some serious Nale beatdown..

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

this one made me laugh so much! keep up with the great work!
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

25. - Top - End - #85
    Bugbear in the Playground

If Malak has Invisibility Purge, he'll get medieval on Nale's ass. If so and he can catch Nale, I doubt even Tarquin can stop Malak from killing Nale.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

I like and admire Traquin more and more.

Nale's in serious trouble right now, he better hope Thog gets out from underneath that rubble pretty sharpish.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So, what we know about Penelope other than her background with Draketooth is that she purged all Evil components out of the castle's hair product, she apparently was content with Tarquin enough that she'd tell him about her personal stuffs like having a "friend" finding out about Draketooth for her, and she gave Tarquin a useful magic item for his birthday.

Sounds like a decent person! Also, I believe she really did love Tarquin (Not many women wouldn't, if he put his mind to it) and he had nothing to do with her death.
    Last edited by M.A.D; 2011-12-09 at 06:32 AM.
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions" - Director Cedrik - OOTS #640

"Geez! You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head!''
    _ "Where else would a crown go?"

28. - Top - End - #88

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
    If Malak has Invisibility Purge, he'll get medieval on Nale's ass. If so and he can catch Nale, I doubt even Tarquin can stop Malak from killing Nale.
    Which is probably why Tarquin did not mention that Nale was there. Tarquin wants information at this point and Nale is the most likely source. Nale is still showing the signs of Malack's attack.

Plus, Tarquin seems to enjoy "twisting the knife" after inserting it. It has been a while since I have seen a villain this well prepared and in control.
    FTDWIR

29. - Top - End - #89

Nale knows about the gates.

I suspect Tarquin doesn't know about them yet, but he will very very soon...
    2012 Kickstart Pledge Drive Backer# 12,851

Their: a possessive pronoun like “her” or “our”
    There: refers to a place ("the Kobold is over THERE"), or to indicate the existence of something, or to mention something for the first time. ("THERE is a Halfling sneaking up on him")
    They're: a contraction of “they are.”

Also: Your/You're, Its/It's, Then/Than.

And... I believe in you.
    —click!
    C fl epefggj cd gpyb hcex jpz.

30. - Top - End - #90

Mr. Burlew would have to work hard in order to make Xykon the main villain again, because Tarquin has set very high standards to our tastes.

And I think Tarquin will let Nale run this time, after this subtle remind of who is still the top cat.
    Last edited by faustin; 2011-12-09 at 06:46 AM.
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""