New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default (Weapon Enhancement) Psuedo-Dancing (P.E.A.C.H.)

Just whipped this up real quick. Not sure if a dual-wielding rogue being able to be his own flanking partner, or the ability to extend your reach by 10' for purposes of getting attacks on large monsters without drawing an AoO is worth a +2 bonus, but I'm going to go with that for the moment.

This was inspired by my own Telekinetic Bladestorm class.

I'm mostly interested in opinions on if the enhancement equivalents are selected correctly, and if I covered all the bases as far as explaining how the basic enhancement works. If I need to clarify the basic enhancement (rather than just covering something someone points out I forgot) then I'm probably going to need a suggestion of specific wording because "clarify" is an operation I usually find difficult. At the very least I would need to know the exact sentences that need clarification. This goes double for "simplify", and note that I have a policy of avoiding trading away the match between the fluff I have in my mind and the crunch I write whenever possible.

Psuedo-Dancing, Least
    As a standard action a psuedo-dancing weapon can be loosed to attack as if its wielder still grasped it in their own hand(s). All mechanical forces on the weapon and the hand(s) are transmitted to each other as if they were still in contact. There is no limit to the amount of time this may persist for.

It must remain within 10' of its wielder at all times. It gains a flight speed of 60 feet with perfect manueverability, and can move at any time that its wielder does, and for the purpose of attacks it is considered to have moved in the same way as its wielder or how it moved, whichever is more restrictive. More specifically, when charging, it must follow the normal rules for a charge, and it's wielder must move parallel to it in the same direction and for the same distance.

The wielder is not considered armed with the weapon, and their hand(s) still must grip empty space as if they still held the weapon or it drops to the ground and must be physically picked up before this ability may be used again, although, as usual, a two handed weapon may be temporarily held in one hand, or a one handed weapon transferred between hands. They threaten normally from the space of the weapon with its normal reach as if they still wielded it from their normally sized space that the weapon occupies one or more squares of (they do not have to occupy this space, nor even any space within the weapon's reach). Among other things this means that they can make attacks of opportunity with the weapon. If line of effect between the weapon and the wielder is lost, then the weapon falls to the ground as if released.

Concealment is judged only from the wielder's space, but cover functions as the worst case (from the wielder's POV) of the wielder's position or the weapon's.

Faint Transmutation; CL 5th; Craft Magical Arms and Armor, Mage Hand or Spiritual Weapon; Price +1 bonus.

Psuedo-Dancing, Lesser
    As per Pseudo-Dancing, Least except that the range limit increases to 30 feet.
    Moderate Transmutation; CL 10th; Craft Magical Arms and Armor, Animate Objects or Telekinesis; Price +2 bonus. ((This was changed as per Daniel's suggestion.))

Psuedo-Dancing, Greater
    As per Pseudo-Dancing, Least except that:
    • The range limit increases to 60 feet.
    • Line of Effect is no longer required.
    • While remotely wielded, the wielder may see from its location as if via a Clairaudience/Clairvoyance effect. This ability may be started or stopped as an immediate (or swift) action, and there is no limit on its duration.

Strong Transmutation; CL 15th; Craft Magical Arms and Armor, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance AND one of the following: Animate Objects OR Telekinesis; Price +5 bonus.
    Some comments from Skype:
    Daniel: Well, looking at this Pseudo-dancing enhancement, my first impression is that it is, in it's most basic form, a way of attacking things at a distance using a melee weapon. Which is pretty cool.
    Very cool, actually. I like the greater version quite a bit. I think that the lesser version could use a bit more power. The extra 20 feet of range doesn't quite strike me as being really worth the +3 enhancement. Maybe as a +2. of course, everything that I say should be taken with a grain of salt, as, when you get down to it, I am still THOROUGHLY inexperienced with D&D.
    Draco Dei: The Least version is currently +2, although I might drop it back to +1. In which case the lesser version should probably be +2.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2020-12-31 at 09:15 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.