New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mafia/WW Red Atlantic Cruise

Well in a prior game we established that Outsider appeared in narrative convenience and I'm the villain, so that makes them the protag.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Day 1 ends.

Everyone was quite confused after finding death threats written on the wall in blood. Together, they decided to do the reasonable thing. Elect a mayor! For some reason! Together, it was decided that Unavenger should lead the town. Unavenger was elected the mayor.

Now that they had some organisation, they could get on with finding the madman. "Let's lynch all twelve wolves" somebody suggested. "You mean half of us?" another asked? "I could probably find a dog in my freezer, but I don't think there are any wolves on board" said a third. "Why would you have a dog in your freezer?" "Who knows? Meanwhile, want to join my secret plan?" "Nah, I think you're probably up to something." "Hey everyone, this person looks shifty." "Last time I saw them, they were lying to everyone in and out of sight" "We should lynch them, if only to save our sanity."
    "That's probably a good idea" said AvatarVecna.
    AvatarVecna was lynched. They were the cook.

(Valid) Vote Count:
    Unavenger 3
    Caerulea 1
    Snowblaze 1
    Additionally Grek and Snowblaze both have conditional immunity from night-kills, as long as they don't die from a night kill.

Night 1 begins.
    Last edited by Caerulea; 2019-12-20 at 01:33 PM.
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Did we ever get told that we were allowed to elect a mayor or give... some sort of NK-immunity contingent on not dying from a NK?

Mainly curious if I missed a post or if players went on a guess and got Caerulea allowed it.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

I thought it was all a joke to be honest. That said, I'm fairly sure it was never stated that we could elect a major or vote night immunity for some.

It was stated that we should try and it just might work though.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2019-12-20 at 09:14 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    Grek and Snowblaze both have conditional immunity from night-kills, as long as they don't die from a night kill.
    This line also seems funny. I can't tell if it really means anything or not. E.g., is it an axiomatic "as long as you don't get X, you don't get X" or really meaning some sort of NKs are blocked?

To help discern the rules of this uncertain game, I'd actually like it if the wolves (or anyone with a NK power) kills one of them.
    And I realize that sounds incredibly wolfish -- asking for a good info-gathering reason to kill folk we have no reason to suspect -- so I'll just admit I'm neutral. Albeit mainly in selfish hopes of staving off assaults from both the Town lynch-vote and the Wolf night-kill.

- - - Updated - - -

To test for odd rules: voting Grek despite it being the Night.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2019-12-20 at 01:57 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    This line also seems funny. I can't tell if it really means anything or not. E.g., is it an axiomatic "as long as you don't get X, you don't get X" or really meaning some sort of NKs are blocked?

To help discern the rules of this uncertain game, I'd actually like it if the wolves (or anyone with a NK power) kills one of them.
    And I realize that sounds incredibly wolfish -- asking for a good info-gathering reason to kill folk we have no reason to suspect -- so I'll just admit I'm neutral. Albeit mainly in selfish hopes of staving off assaults from both the Town lynch-vote and the Wolf night-kill.

- - - Updated - - -

To test for odd rules: voting Grek despite it being the Night.
    Wow, rude. Trying to kill me twice over.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm leaning towards it being a smart mouth way of saying they aren't immune to night kills. The mayor thing I'm fifty fifty on whether or not it will give any benefit or just a matter of we have an unofficial mayor.

8. - Top - End - #68

WolfInSheepsClothing

Try this, try that, try everything, try JeenLeen.

I haven't been informed yet that my new position as mayor does anything, and I'm pretty sure that "They won't die from NK so long as they don't die from NK" is meant to be a silly tautology. So, I imagine that all of this nonsense is probably just a distraction.

EDIT: Also, we've made it clear that you can only legally vote for one, specific person who's playing the game, which is a useful piece of information I guess.
    Last edited by Unavenger; 2019-12-20 at 10:30 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    Try this, try that, try everything, try JeenLeen.

I haven't been informed yet that my new position as mayor does anything, and I'm pretty sure that "They won't die from NK so long as they don't die from NK" is meant to be a silly tautology. So, I imagine that all of this nonsense is probably just a distraction.

EDIT: Also, we've made it clear that you can only legally vote for one, specific person who's playing the game, which is a useful piece of information I guess.
    By that do you mean, not "all twelve wolves?"

10. - Top - End - #70

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    By that do you mean, not "all twelve wolves?"
    You can't vote for all twelve wolves, but I blinked and missed that the one vote for Caerulea was counted so that might be an interesting wagon to pursue.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grek View Post
    Wow, rude. Trying to kill me twice over.
    It's your fault for painting a target on yourself by becoming immune(ish?) to being a target.

---

Though with how the first Day's results went, I wouldn't be surprised if Caerulea was the/a wolf. But I also won't be surprised if I die tonight or tomorrow, so not too much concern over here.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: was ninja'd by Unavenger. I'm totally good with a wagon on the Narrarator Day 2. Or maybe someone should check if the Narrator has NK-immunity. (Probably so, if indeed the narrator is a threat.)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    You can't vote for all twelve wolves, but I blinked and missed that the one vote for Caerulea was counted so that might be an interesting wagon to pursue.
    Oh yeah... That was weird...

13. - Top - End - #73

WolfInSheepsClothing

Also, SI tried to vote for "The madman". That vote doesn't seem to have counted either, so voting for one inspecific person doesn't seem to have worked. So it seems that, apart from Caerulea votes counting, only players can be voted up.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually... Now that you mention it...
    The last two games I played in started with:

Unavenger was killed, they were the universalist
    And
    Basketofpuppies was killed, they were the CEO.

Perhaps Caerulea is playing since that isn't how this one started.

15. - Top - End - #75

WolfInSheepsClothing

Actually... Now that you mention it...
    The last two games I played in started with:

Unavenger was killed, they were the universalist
    And
    Basketofpuppies was killed, they were the CEO.

Perhaps Caerulea is playing since that isn't how this one started.
    Not to mention that AvatarVecna was killed, she was the lawyer. On the other hand, AvatarVecna didn't die during Prison Break.

Screw it, on the offhand that we can night-lynch and Cae's a valid target, Caerulea.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

That does not seem like a good idea. And no, I'm not just saying that because I don't want to die. From my point of view it seems pretty clear that it's just a joke and I have no form of immunity, as a few others agree. There's no logical reason to kill me (especially as I'm town).

Caerulea, can you please confirm what you meant?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Well, as the man who died from food poisoning said, "I'll try anything once." So, Caerulea

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Well in a prior game we established that Outsider appeared in narrative convenience and I'm the villain, so that makes them the protag.
    Me, a protagonist? Don't be silly. Just because events inexplicably go my way despite all odds being stacked against me doesn't mean I'm the protagonist.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Caerula just to see what happens

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

AvatarVecna was lynched. They were the cook.
    Caerulea, does AV's name being in red mean they were actually a wolf? (Most games I've seen use the actual color-coding for those dead.)

20. - Top - End - #80

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Snowblaze View Post
    Caerulea, can you please confirm what you meant?
    Neither Snowblaze nor Grek received night-kill immunity as a result of voting themselves to have it.
    Caerulea, does AV's name being in red mean they were actually a wolf? (Most games I've seen use the actual color-coding for those dead.)
    No. They were town. I forgot about colour coding when doing the post-death role announcement. I'll change it.
    Extended Signature.

she/her

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Caerulea, you kind of have too many PMs stored, apparently

@Xihirli: Do remember that in some (the best) stories the protagonist IS the villain
    Last edited by Valmark; 2019-12-20 at 01:36 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Neither Snowblaze nor Grek received night-kill immunity as a result of voting themselves to have it.

No. They were town. I forgot about colour coding when doing the post-death role announcement. I'll change it.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    In that case, Caerulea for the probably-meaningless vote.

23. - Top - End - #83

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    Should be fixed now.
    Extended Signature.

she/her

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

@Xihirli: Do remember that in some (the best) stories the protagonist IS the villain
    Yes but I'm not in a good story.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't think of a single one? Isn't the protagonist by definition the good guy?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Nope, the protagonist is the main character according to the main plot. Usually the protagonist is *good* and the antagonist is *evil* but there are stories where it's inverted, or too morally grey to decide.

In the film about Joker (DC) the protagonist is... Well... Joker and he is evil, at least by society standards. I'd argue it, but it might become spoiler.

Or in "Of Orcs and Men", a videogame where the protagonists are... I mean, they aren't strictly evil in my opinion, but they are brutal and merciless, more so on certain paths. Too much to be considered simply anti-heroes, imo.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Nope, the protagonist is the main character according to the main plot. Usually the protagonist is *good* and the antagonist is *evil* but there are stories where it's inverted, or too morally grey to decide.

In the film about Joker (DC) the protagonist is... Well... Joker and he is evil, at least by society standards. I'd argue it, but it might become spoiler.

Or in "Of Orcs and Men", a videogame where the protagonists are... I mean, they aren't strictly evil in my opinion, but they are brutal and merciless, more so on certain paths. Too much to be considered simply anti-heroes, imo.
    I have always read and been taught that the protagonist, viewpoint character, and main character are distinct things. For instance Sherlock Holmes is the main character but not the view point character. Darth Vader is the main character of starwars (at least he was in the first six, haven't seen the new ones) but for the most part not the protagonist as that was Luke. My teachers always claimed the protagonist was the one you "root for" while the main character was the one it was about.... But that might have just been them making stuff up because they didn't know the functional difference between I and me so...

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

I have always read and been taught that the protagonist, viewpoint character, and main character are distinct things. For instance Sherlock Holmes is the main character but not the view point character. Darth Vader is the main character of starwars (at least he was in the first six, haven't seen the new ones) but for the most part not the protagonist as that was Luke. My teachers always claimed the protagonist was the one you "root for" while the main character was the one it was about.... But that might have just been them making stuff up because they didn't know the functional difference between I and me so...
    To my knowledge they are different, yes. The viewpoint character is basically the narrator, be it an abstract being or an actual character.

Main characters are the ones who are most tied to the plot, usually without them you don't even have the story. Protagonist and antagonist are both main characters.

The protagonist is the one character the story is about, or the most important one anyway.

Luke would be the protagonist and Darth Vader a main character in the first three films, Anakin the protagonist in the second three.

As far as rooting for goes... I guess usually it is, but it honestly depends. In She-Ra I can't even fathom rooting for the protagonists.

But it might just be me who's rotten xD

Do note that it's all my opinion, anyone else wil say different things.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2019-12-20 at 10:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

You know what? Sure. Caerulea
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

30. - Top - End - #90
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    [a corpse pops its head up]

Villain Protagonist is more typical in a story where they're doing the wrong thing for the right reasons, or has sympathetic motivations for being a villain, or was pushed into it and is actually being victimized by the so-called good guys. Regardless of which of the three it is, there's almost always going to be a more typical Hero as the antagonist - maybe they're a Paladin type who accepts that doing evil to evil is a good thing, maybe they represent order more than justice and our Villain Protag is an underdog fighting a corrupt system, maybe the supposed Hero is really doing the right thing but is a giant jerk or gloryhound about it, or maybe they're just too naive to see the shades of moral gray the world is really made up of (that the villain protag is probably bitterly aware of).

EDIT: There's also media where the main character Villain Protagonist isn't made sympathetic to any degree, and it's just telling the story from the villain's point-of-view. Some runs of Undertale have this, as does Invader Zim.

[goes back to rotting]
    Oh goddamn it. AV.

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.