New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Hunting Grounds IV: Drops Contain 0% RNG

[Mess Hall] ==> [Cliffside]

The first trap Astrna and Willa end up checking is located at the base of a sheer cliff in a dry stretch of grey rocks. Wind howls through this desolate landscape and the few living things seem to be mostly insects.

There is something in the trap, though. Held in stasis by Astrana's magic is what looks like a shapeless lump of grey flesh, with a huge mouth, two short feet and two long arms. The mouth actually has two rows of differentially-shaped teeth, and both arms end in long, curved claws. The thing seems to have very small, beady eyes. It appears it was caught when it was leaving through a small hole in the cliff... that looks too small for it to fit through.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Cliffside

Willa eyes the creature from a distance. It's certainly not pretty.
    "What is that thing? We're supposed to go up and hit it with that throwing blade thing of yours?" she asks, incredulous. The beast looks fairly intimidating even out there in that cage.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Blink Bunny Burrow

Ne-Gok-Sa writhes with head, punching the snake in the eye with his other arm. The dog is still furiously mauling the open wound of the serpent.

Mysterious Crater

Kurrack slowly stands up, then pucks, and falls back down again. He then stands up again, this time without the last two steps, and takes a drink from his metal flask. Whatever was in the metal flask is unknown, but it is not anything that would enhance the Kroot's fighting abilities. Kurrack then grabs his chain sword, and starts to wander towards the waterfall sound.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

[Mountains]

Stories of a dark beast in the mountains are heard throughout the hunting grounds. It is said that the creature's shadow looks like a werewolf, but it can somehow travel around people without them even noticing. The creature dwells in the caverns and hunts at night. The one to claim its head would obtain great glory.
    "Sons of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand! Men of the West!" -Aragorn, Lord of the Rings

I'm 8BitNinja's Brother

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Blink Bunny Burrow

Ne-Gok-Sa writhes with head, punching the snake in the eye with his other arm. The dog is still furiously mauling the open wound of the serpent.
    Acidic blood boils out in and around the dog's bite. The snake lets go as the fist connects with its eye, lashing out wildly attempting to slice something with its fangs.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

6. - Top - End - #246
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Blink Bunny Burrow

Mysterious Crater

Kurrack slowly stands up, then pucks, and falls back down again. He then stands up again, this time without the last two steps, and takes a drink from his metal flask. Whatever was in the metal flask is unknown, but it is not anything that would enhance the Kroot's fighting abilities. Kurrack then grabs his chain sword, and starts to wander towards the waterfall sound.
    Mysterious Crater

As he wanders towards the waterfall, he can hear heavy steps nearby, the sound of something large moving through the vegetation.

Then he gets a glimpse of it. It is the boar, slowly moving in the same direction as he is, towards the waterfall. One of its legs appear broken, rendered a useless stump it drags behind it. The other legs aren't so good either, and it makes a pained grunt every time it moves. Yet it still presses on, despite even the black liquid that is oozing from it's grievous bite- and claw marks. Kurrack have likely seen dying beasts before and this is definitely one, seemingly driven mad by its grievous injuries.

Yet it still struggles to keep upright, moving towards the sound of the waterfall. Kurrack will be able to see a lake through, likely formed by the waterfall.

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Mess Hall] ==> [Cliffside]

The first trap Astrna and Willa end up checking is located at the base of a sheer cliff in a dry stretch of grey rocks. Wind howls through this desolate landscape and the few living things seem to be mostly insects.

There is something in the trap, though. Held in stasis by Astrana's magic is what looks like a shapeless lump of grey flesh, with a huge mouth, two short feet and two long arms. The mouth actually has two rows of differentially-shaped teeth, and both arms end in long, curved claws. The thing seems to have very small, beady eyes. It appears it was caught when it was leaving through a small hole in the cliff... that looks too small for it to fit through.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Cliffside

Willa eyes the creature from a distance. It's certainly not pretty.
    "What is that thing? We're supposed to go up and hit it with that throwing blade thing of yours?" she asks, incredulous. The beast looks fairly intimidating even out there in that cage.
    Cliffside

"I don't know." Astrana replies calmly. "I'm going to prepare a spell before we release it though, so just watch it for now. If it looks like it is about to break out, just stab it with the weapon." She pauses, looking over the creature. "Too bad it probably doesn't have any bones, or a neck." She frowns. "Just pick whatever you think is the throat if it comes to that. My spell will ensure a deadly outcome of the strike, regardless of the creatures make out."

She then takes out a notebook and sits down on a nearby rock, starting to draw a simple sketch of the creature.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Mysterious Crater

HA! SUCK IT! I WIN! says Kurrack, probably drunk, as it pulls out a little pistol and shoots in the head.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

9. - Top - End - #249

Mysterious Crater

The boar is shoot in the head, and collapses dead on the ground.
    However, it seems like his shot and shouts has not gone unheard as he suddenly hears movements in the water. It sounds like someone is walking in very shallow water, and they're coming in this direction.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Mysterious Crater

Kurrack droops the gun, and turns around.

Who goes *hic* there?!

11. - Top - End - #251

Mysterious Crater

Actually, there is no need to turn around, the footsteps are coming from the lake and they stop as he shouts again.
    "I will ask you the same thing, considering that you are on sacred ground." He can hear a raspy yet feminine voice reply. "Who are you and why are you here? I seriously doubt you're another pilgrim." Now it is coming off as more demanding, if he looks closer, he can see a figure in a white robe standing in a shallow part of the lake. He can't make out the details though as the sun standing in zenith above, the reflections it cast in the water blinding anyone looking too closely.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

[Cliffside]

The creature looks rather amorphous. A blob of flesh with appendages. As Astrana draws, it does seem to be breaking out of the spell... slowly. It doesn't so much break out as try to slither out, somehow adapting its body against the confines of the magic.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Mysterious Crater

Kurrack's drunk, or at least the effects of alchohol are starting to kick in. He does indeed turn around. Then he turns back towards the feminine voice and says: Have you seen any small rat people here recently? I *hic* I seem to have lost him. hey waitamintute, holy ground? Auww f***, the strange guy I met in the animal killing house was after some sort of religous artifact? Auww f***. Look this has been a huge misunder- Kurrack falls over, apparently the fall did a number on his liver.

Kurrack stands up, and continues: - misunderstanding. You don't happen to have a big glowing artifact, do you?

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Cliffside

Willa nods, taking Astrana's knife in one hand and her staff in the other to fend off flailing arms as she walks toward the cage. She is careful because she is expecting it to try something as she gets close.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

[Cliffside]

As Willa approaches, part of the gremlin's body seems to collapse on itself. At the same time, one of its arms becomes a large pincer, that punches through the confinement spell and lashes out at Willa. It's very inaccurate and might not even reach her, though.
    Last edited by Morty; 2017-08-20 at 06:15 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256

Mysterious Crater

The figure, who from what little he can see of her without getting blinded appears to be human-like with sickly looking white-grey skin that almost seems to be shining in the light of the sun. Her eyes though, they appear completely black.
    "As I suspected then, an adventurer, an mercenary." The last word comes out as an accusation. "I don't know where your rat-friend is, but you should both leave this place. If this truly is a misunderstanding, then you have no business here any more. Greed does not belong here."

Kurrack might be be able to notice that the black liquid that was oozing out of the boars wounds now seem to be slowly spreading across its fur. Odd.

Cliffside

It is not really a knife, but whatever.
    Astrana just sits down and starts drawing, it was up to Willa now as Astrana would be pretty useless until she had prepared her spell.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-08-22 at 06:10 AM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Mysterious Crater

Kurrack, in a moment of soberness, closes his eyes. He then starts to channel the ancestor's power through him. Kurrack then senses the area around him of its spiritual aura

((Basically casting detect magic and detect evil in the same spell))

18. - Top - End - #258

Mysterious Crater

Detect evil, used by a warhammer 40k character? Interesting choice of spell.

Either way, he can sense a lot of magic nearby, indeed, all the water around here seems magical somehow. He can't detect what type of magic, but it seems to be coming from the depths of the lake. He can also detect magic coming from the person he's talking to, and the boar.
    As for evil, he can detect evil from the boar.
    "No answer? Then I'm going to give you ten more seconds to leave, or you can explain yourself."

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Mysterious *hic* Crater

Hey, what do you know about this here boar?asks Kurrack as he backs away from the waterfall and the boar.

20. - Top - End - #260

Mysterious Crater

Now as the figure starts becoming clearer, it becomes increasingly obvious that she has passed her expatriation date. Her skin looks as dead as her black eyes with small signs of decay and rot all over the small parts of her that aren't covered by that white robe. Her hair has to be the best preserved part of her, maintaining a recognizable, though faded, blond color.
    She raises her hand, which Kurrack will now see is skeletal with fingertips that have been twisted into ghoulish claws.

"It is a beast like any other, coming for the blessing." She orders as a small orb of pure light ignites within her palm. "You however, are most certainly not here for it, so you should leave now before the beasts take you."

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Mysterious Crater

Kurrak's brow furrows, and he draws his chain sword. He then says this: Ancestors guide and protect me against those who feast upon glutton instead of necessity, Ancestors protect me from those who wield the unholy powers of chaos, and Ancestors guide my sword as I plunge it into this heathen's head!

A green yellow glow starts to permeate Kurrack as he activates his chainsword. Kurrack then mkaes an attempt to cut the boar's head off before he charges at the woman.

22. - Top - End - #262

Mysterious Crater

"I was not planning to harm you..." She lets out a exasperated sigh. "Light save me from fools."

However, as Kurrak attempts to cut off the head of the boar, she has already sent a bolt of holy light in his direction, potentially knocking him over if it hits. "Why are you attacking me?" She demands, both her hands glowing with pure light as she seems ready for his next move.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Mysterious Crater

The light hits Kurrack square in the chest, and he is knocked down. Knocked unconscious some might say. Actually knocked unconscious is something anyone would describe Kurrack as right now. He was drunk and beaten already, and was going to fall over mid charge anyway.

24. - Top - End - #264

Mysterious Crater

As Kurrack falls to the ground, the woman appears to hesitate. Had he really been that drunk, or was he attempting to trick her?
    However, as she ponders this, the boar suddenly raises from the ground, to her astonishment.
    "Oh no."

The boar, which have rapidly started to mutate, growing black tendrils and horns growing out everywhere. It lets out a loud bellow and that's all the signal the woman needs.

She rushes over to Kurrack and attempts to grab him and hike him over her shoulder as she with her other hand sends out a blast of light against the quickly mutating boar.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Mysterious Crater

Kurrack is indeed that drunk, the fall rattled his immune system. He is as unconscious as anyone who drank that much would be.

26. - Top - End - #266

Mysterious Crater

Once Kurrack is conscious again, he will find himself laying in the grass, overlooking the crater. The woman is nearby, her hand move across the seems of her robe which have been torn at several places. Its white sheen dulled by copious amounts of dirt and strain. However, as she touches the fabric, it simply mends itself together.
    Though Kurrack will get a good glimpse of the dead pale flesh underneath, revealing that some parts are simply just skin and bones.

"About time." She remarks as her eyes meet his, her hand suddenly stopping. "I'm expecting you to praise my name just about now considering how I saved your skin back there."

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Mysterious Crater

Hold that thought, I'm in serious hangover mode right now. replies Kurrack.

Okay, let's see. Last think I remember I was on this Tau escape pod do-hickey, then I saw this purple light, Then I went to this weird bar, and then... Are you the barkeep?

28. - Top - End - #268

Mysterious Crater

The woman groans. "Imbecile." She hisses, her black eyes staring right into his as her face consorts into a mask of rage for moment. "Let me get up to speed then. You are a sad excuse of a adventurer, coming here to commit theft, since you were too drunk and stupid to think otherwise. Now, you have dragged down some monster down into the sacred pools which is killing everything. Not that an idiot such as yourself would care, or understand."

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Cliffside

It's a bladed throwing weapon! Close enough.

Willa bats the blow away with her staff. Now, she probably could use this weapon from farther away if she wanted to, but she has no experience with it, so her best hope is to just go up to it and stab it in whatever passes for its throat. So she approaches it at a trot, trying to move quickly but not wanting to recklessly approach it.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Mysterious Crater

The woman groans. "Imbecile." She hisses, her black eyes staring right into his as her face consorts into a mask of rage for moment. "Let me get up to speed then. You are a sad excuse of a adventurer, coming here to commit theft, since you were too drunk and stupid to think otherwise. Now, you have dragged down some monster down into the sacred pools which is killing everything. Not that an idiot such as yourself would care, or understand."
    Kurrack sits up, and replies: Hmf. I understand that this beast needs to be put down, and as soon as I'm out of hang-over mode I'll use my druidic power, Kurrack puts emphasis on "druidic power" and wiggles his fingers a bit, to kill the monster. What is it anyway?