New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3...confirmed!

Sounds like combat could have been a mod of DOS2 implementing 5e rules.
    Trolls will be blocked. Petrification works far better than fire and acid.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, first of all: H Y P E

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I saw an interview on YouTube between Fextralife and the boss of Lariat.

Points of interest I thought I'd mention:

Role in Baldur's Gate: Lariat considers BG3 to actually be the fifth installment in the story, after BG1, BG2, and the tabletop games "Murder at Baldur's Gate" and "Descent into Avernus". They expect to have recurring locations and scenes from previous installments, as well as characters, but did not go into details. There will be no uploading BG2 game saves into BG3. WotC apparently intends to implement BG3 into canon they way they have the other two.

Game Length: They aren't comfortable putting an exact number on how long the game will last, beyond guessing 100 hours. They are aiming for Original Sin 2 level of length.

Ruleset: The game is based on 5th edition rules, with additions and subtractions made to best suit a video game environment (i.e. relying on their famous environmental systems in place of a DM's ability to improvise). Subclasses are stated to be included as well, with a tone that suggested that this should be obvious.

Linearity: They are using Original Sin 2 as a model for the linearity of BG3. Explicit mention of BG2 and the 20k was made, as a static problem with myriad ways to solve it.

Engine: They will be using their in-house engine for the game. They label OS2 as v3.0, the enhanced edition as v3.5, and BG3 as v4.0.

Art Style: They claim the trailer is suitably representative of their intended artistic style for the game.

Hope this information is useful. It's a pretty interesting interview if you feel like looking it up yourselves.
    I honestly struggled to understand a few of the points they were making in that interview, thank you for the summary!

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

I find the using of Murder in Baldur's Gate as canon for this new game...problematic. That means Abdel Adrian is the canon Bhaalspawn, which invalidates whatever Bhaalspawn you might have created yourself!
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    I find the using of Murder in Baldur's Gate as canon for this new game...problematic. That means Abdel Adrian is the canon Bhaalspawn, which invalidates whatever Bhaalspawn you might have created yourself!
    Theres not really any way for them to avoid that though, short of having the whole saga just straight up not show up in realms canon at all. If nothing else, the difference between "became a new godling" and "stayed a mostly mortal" is sufficiently large that one of those two would have to have been picked.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #275
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Theres not really any way for them to avoid that though, short of having the whole saga just straight up not show up in realms canon at all. If nothing else, the difference between "became a new godling" and "stayed a mostly mortal" is sufficiently large that one of those two would have to have been picked.
    Wasn't the canon somewhat rewritten in a way that had Bhaal devouring the essence of the Bhaalspawn and coming back?

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

But that means now I HAVE to play as Abdel Adrian when I finally play the first two games so the narrative flows properly, and that means making the same bad decisions Abdel Adrian does in the crappy novels!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Wasn't the canon somewhat rewritten in a way that had Bhaal devouring the essence of the Bhaalspawn and coming back?
    Yes. But before that, it states Abdel Adrian was the canon Bhaalspawn and was a human fighter, and then got killed to bring Bhaal back.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2019-06-10 at 09:03 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

But that means now I HAVE to play as Abdel Adrian when I finally play the first two games so the narrative flows properly, and that means making the same bad decisions Abdel Adrian does in the crappy novels! :smallangry:
    Or you could just... play the character you want to play and not worry about it. Plus, im pretty sure most of Abdel's bad decisions are not actually ones that you can make in the game. For example, you cant seduce Jaheira away from Khalid.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

But that means now I HAVE to play as Abdel Adrian when I finally play the first two games so the narrative flows properly, and that means making the same bad decisions Abdel Adrian does in the crappy novels!
    If it placates you, actual Faerun Abdel Adrian seems somewhat more sensible than that. At least the NPC version used for adventures.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yes. But before that, it states Abdel Adrian was the canon Bhaalspawn and was a human fighter, and then got killed to bring Bhaal back.
    They needed a main character, so they used the name and race/class combo from the books. That's it. To my knowledge, there's nothing else about the books that's considered canon.

However, that's largely immaterial at this point. All the Bhaalspawn are now all long dead. This isn't a continuation of the Bhaalspawn Saga, it's a continuation of the Baldur's Gate Sage - in which the Bhaalspawn were a major chapter but not the end-all-be-all. Tragedies came and went, but the city endured. Now the Illithid arrive at a height of power never before seen by human eyes. We'll see if the house that Balduran built will survive this.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

10. - Top - End - #280

However, that's largely immaterial at this point. All the Bhaalspawn are now all long dead. This isn't a continuation of the Bhaalspawn Saga, it's a continuation of the Baldur's Gate Sage - in which the Bhaalspawn were a major chapter but not the end-all-be-all. Tragedies came and went, but the city endured. Now the Illithid arrive at a height of power never before seen by human eyes. We'll see if the house that Balduran built will survive this.
    Here's the burning question; and I intend it with no disrespect to you specifically, merely as an expression of my total lack of understanding :

What the **** is the "Baldur's Gate Saga"?

We have had one story about a conspiracy to provoke a war and take control of all iron production. This could have happened anywhere.

We had BG Alliance. I don't know these.

Is there any overall thematic or narrative that creates the "Baldurs Gate Saga"? Is Baldur's Gate supposed to be a special place that happens to be the keystone to the world? Or there's an ancient mystery that made that city important?

I mean, why not make it a Dale story? Or a Moonsea adventure, going to the ruins of Phlan and Zenthil Keep? Maybe dip into Myth Drannor?

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Or you could just... play the character you want to play and not worry about it. Plus, im pretty sure most of Abdel's bad decisions are not actually ones that you can make in the game. For example, you cant seduce Jaheira away from Khalid.
    But I DO worry about it. If I play the first two games as a half-elf bard, for example, and then play Murder in Baldur's Gate on the tabletop in preparation for Baldur's Gate III, then for some reason the Bhaalspawn changed their name, species and class somehow and that makes no sense! It'd be like if you were reading The Lord of the Rings and Frodo suddenly became an elf in the middle of The Two Towers!
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

But I DO worry about it. If I play the first two games as a half-elf bard, for example, and then play Murder in Baldur's Gate on the tabletop in preparation for Baldur's Gate III, then for some reason the Bhaalspawn changed their name, species and class somehow and that makes no sense! It'd be like if you were reading The Lord of the Rings and Frodo suddenly became an elf in the middle of The Two Towers!
    I mean, I can respect wanting your character to carry over, but it just isn't feasible to both have that happen and for them to accomplish anything meaningful. As soon as they appear on the larger world stage, a decision about the canon needs to be made.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

If they implement 5e subclasses id love to see/ play

Oath of the Ancients Paladin, Nature Domain Cleric and any Druid.

Not sure how appropriate a Druid is for baldurs gate unless there’s an emerald enclave presence there???

I’m looking forward to this game
    Last edited by Mikaleus; 2019-06-10 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Can’t spell

14. - Top - End - #284

NecromancerGuy

Here's the burning question; and I intend it with no disrespect to you specifically, merely as an expression of my total lack of understanding :

What the **** is the "Baldur's Gate Saga"?

We have had one story about a conspiracy to provoke a war and take control of all iron production. This could have happened anywhere.

We had BG Alliance. I don't know these.

Is there any overall thematic or narrative that creates the "Baldurs Gate Saga"? Is Baldur's Gate supposed to be a special place that happens to be the keystone to the world? Or there's an ancient mystery that made that city important?

I mean, why not make it a Dale story? Or a Moonsea adventure, going to the ruins of Phlan and Zenthil Keep? Maybe dip into Myth Drannor?
    This. So much this. The idea of ‘Baldur’s Gate’ being a franchise outside of the Bhaalspawn sage is clearly being pushed, but I don’t really see it. I’m ok with it being created, but at present a game called Baldur’s Gate 3 is clearly signposted as a continuation of 1 and 2, which means the Bhaalspawn saga. ‘Baldur’s Gate’ without a subtitle is much more linked to the Bhaalspawn (2.5/2.5 games) than to Baldur’s Gate (1/2.5 games). With a subtitle it could be compared to the Dark Alliance games as well, which are more linked to the city, but it needs that subtitle if it wants to avoid being linked unfavourably to the Bhaalspawn.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Unless I've missed something, there's no implication that using Murder at Baldur's Gate is going to mean they're going to use this particular name and background combination and no other. Larian is presumably aware that it wouldn't go well with people. I suspect they're going to gloss over the Bhaalspawn's identity, personally. A child of Bhaal died, stuff happened, that's it.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-06-11 at 03:11 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

I don't follow.

By the time BG3 rolls around, the Bhaalspawn is dead, consumed to resurrect Bhaal himself. This would have been canonically in the history before BG3 ever shows up. So it doesn't matter if the Bhaalspawn is a half-elf Bard or a human Warrior, he's not relevant whatsoever to the plot being unfolded, and I doubt he will even be referenced.

The whole Bhaalspawn story arc was closed long ago. We're moving on. Come join us.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Again as a naysayer, but I can't help but dread the seemingly innocent interview point about the length being 100+ hours. That's basically impossible in a plot driven, tightly knit and well written RPG, and the likening to OS 2 only serves to underline that.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2019-06-11 at 07:28 AM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    I don't follow.

By the time BG3 rolls around, the Bhaalspawn is dead, consumed to resurrect Bhaal himself. This would have been canonically in the history before BG3 ever shows up. So it doesn't matter if the Bhaalspawn is a half-elf Bard or a human Warrior, he's not relevant whatsoever to the plot being unfolded, and I doubt he will even be referenced.

The whole Bhaalspawn story arc was closed long ago. We're moving on. Come join us.
    Zousha's approach to games is apparently some kind of compulsion, nothing to do with fun.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Again as a naysayer, but I can't help but dread the seemingly innocent interview point about the length being 100+ hours. That's basically impossible in a plot driven, tightly knit and well written RPG, and the likening to OS 2 only serves to underline that.
    If OS2 serves your case, then I suppose it's valid - that game is the model they're comparing against. It's worth noting, however, that this is not only an all-in estimate (all side quests and dialogue included) but Larian openly admits they suck at estimating play times. The guy says they aren't deciding content against a quota, they're putting in the content they want and the play time will be the play time.

Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    This. So much this. The idea of ‘Baldur’s Gate’ being a franchise outside of the Bhaalspawn sage is clearly being pushed, but I don’t really see it. I’m ok with it being created, but at present a game called Baldur’s Gate 3 is clearly signposted as a continuation of 1 and 2, which means the Bhaalspawn saga. ‘Baldur’s Gate’ without a subtitle is much more linked to the Bhaalspawn (2.5/2.5 games) than to Baldur’s Gate (1/2.5 games). With a subtitle it could be compared to the Dark Alliance games as well, which are more linked to the city, but it needs that subtitle if it wants to avoid being linked unfavourably to the Bhaalspawn.
    I must be honest, this strikes me as an unfair catch 22. "Why make a Baldur's Gate 3? The Bhaalspawn story is already completed to satisfaction." and then "Why isn't Baldur's Gate 3 about the Bhaalspawn?!" The first answers the last. Their story is done, but the city endures. The game is named after the city, and the city is more than a trio of god-blooded siblings trying to kill and discredit each other.

This won't be the first time video games have attempted to liberate the city from the shadow of Gorion's Ward. It will, however, be the first one to make the attempt using the same language as the masters. I'm sure we will find references to Lilarcor and Justice Fist! and the saga of Skie Silvershield. We'll probably be given the chance to walk the halls of Candlekeep and Durgan's Tower, and learn the true history of the Firewine bridge, and any number of things that touched the Bhaalspawn story. But it will now be a legend referenced in the flavor text for the Staff of Power and the Red Dragon Armor. And maybe we can a druid worshipping Wilson Wilsonson, god of bears.

Besides, this thread is a great argument for putting some distance between new works and old. We've built scion of the Bhaalspawn up to much, and each in our own ways, and any attempt to create even a vague canon is rebuffed as an attack on our dreams. I sure as all hells wouldn't want to touch that with a regulation 10-foot pole, even as I'm dying to see what more can be told in that city and in that style.

Of course, I could absolutely be wrong, too. I have only a third-hand recounting of Murder at Baldur's Gate to go by and I don't think Descent into Avernus is out yet. DiA is the big wildcard, to my mind. It could easily involve... say... the resurrection of Sarevok and/or Imoen. Or it could reveal that Bhaal, revived though he may be, is still fractured and the identities of his strongest spawn still fight for dominance in his psyche. If DiA is also tied to the Bhaalspawn, it may well be that the story isn't over yet and BG3 is indeed still another chapter of that old story. Or, and this is a thought that just hit me as I'm typing, what if a powerful Bhaalspawn survived ToB, only to be captured and put through ceremorphosis? A Bhaalspawn mind flayer? Would that be enough to kickstart the brain eaters into a new crusade for the stars?

All I'm really trying to say here is that there are still a lot of avenues for good stories, some that draw on the past of the series and others that only pay homage to it. Really, it all boils down to how much you're willing to trust Larian Studios and their ability to tell it. Sure, it could be worse than Siege of Dragonspear, or as irrelevant as Tales of the Sword Coast, but I do think there's room to be hopeful.

Honestly BG3 puts me in mind of Nier Automata. The Yoko Taro games (Drakengard 1 & 3, Nier) before it were inventive as hell but not well made. Combine the lunatic genius in the OC mask with a company that specializes in polish and spectacle, however, and you've got a really, really fun game. BG3 strikes me as much the same. The BG franchise is a superb story with gameplay that really isn't anything to write home about. Combine the BG formula with a company that makes big, polished games that encourage creative exploitation of the included systems, and you could have the best Baldur's Gate game ever. Or you could have an uninspired cash grab that craps on everyone's memories, twists and corrupts beloved characters, and generally endures like a fart in a hurricane. That's always an option, too.

Time will just have to tell.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2019-06-11 at 09:09 AM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

20. - Top - End - #290

I must be honest, this strikes me as an unfair catch 22. "Why make a Baldur's Gate 3? The Bhaalspawn story is already completed to satisfaction." and then "Why isn't Baldur's Gate 3 about the Bhaalspawn?!" The first answers the last. Their story is done, but the city endures. The game is named after the city, and the city is more than a trio of god-blooded siblings trying to kill and discredit each other.
    But... Here's the thing: is it?

What is the city of Baldur's Gate in Baldur's Gate? It's just one anonymous city with no distinct personality whatsoever.

Athkatla was WAY more important to the story of BG2 than Baldur's Gate was important to the story of BG1.

Athkatla had the Shadow Thieves, the Cowled Wizards.. It had distinctive districts that are memorable.

I can't for the life of me remember anything about Baldur's Gate beyond it having Flaming Fist as its standing military and the Iron Throne having its HQ there.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

What is the city of Baldur's Gate in Baldur's Gate? It's just one anonymous city with no distinct personality whatsoever.

Athkatla was WAY more important to the story of BG2 than Baldur's Gate was important to the story of BG1.

Athkatla had the Shadow Thieves, the Cowled Wizards.. It had distinctive districts that are memorable.

I can't for the life of me remember anything about Baldur's Gate beyond it having Flaming Fist as its standing military and the Iron Throne having its HQ there.
    I'll be honest and say I had forgotten that BG2 doesn't take place in Baldur's Gate. Do any of the expansions and such take place there?

The name is obviously just a pure name recognition ploy. I hope that they do at least make as much use as they can out of the connection to make it meaningful.

22. - Top - End - #292

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I'll be honest and say I had forgotten that BG2 doesn't take place in Baldur's Gate. Do any of the expansions and such take place there?

The name is obviously just a pure name recognition ploy. I hope that they do at least make as much use as they can out of the connection to make it meaningful.
    The only, and only time that Baldur's Gate happens in Baldur's Gate is during Chapter 5 to 7 of the original game.

Even BG1 was only 30% set in Baldur's Gate. It's a nothing city, story wise.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The only, and only time that Baldur's Gate happens in Baldur's Gate is during Chapter 5 to 7 of the original game.

Even BG1 was only 30% set in Baldur's Gate. It's a nothing city, story wise.
    Even worse, it's Chapters 5 AND 7, not 5 THROUGH 7. Chapter 6 is back at Candlekeep.

That said, all this talk is making me jones for Baldur's Gate again. Trying to convince myself not to. Sort of losing. Considering a human swashbuckler/mage, because what this game needs is another gorram thief/mage.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

You have a point, absolutely, but I would argue that this is a failing of BG1 and not an argument in your favor. For one thing, the politics of the city was a key point, and the presence of an old underground city and temple to Bhaal beneath it casts a dubious shadow over the city. Sarevok didn't pick Baldur's Gate by accident, it had all the tools for his ascension in one place. More to the point, however, Baldur's Gate is weaker for not taking advantage of Baldur's Gate the way BG2 took advantage of Athkatla. BG1 made a lot of missteps, to be perfectly frank. They assumed the party would be expendable and treated them as robots with unique voice sets. They also made the city a late arrival rather than a set piece, then yanked you out of it to go back to Candlekeep, and then made you wanted so you couldn't properly explore it anymore.

To be honest, I think BG was chosen by Black Isle because it was an already well-established location and didn't need to be integrated into the plot. Forgotten Realms players knew the Elfsong Tavern and Sorcerous Sundries. It wasn't unlike adding Drizzt into the scene or having Elminster drop in for a chat now and then. They were anchor points, but rather than intended to anchor the story to the world they were used to anchor the world to the setting. And, like with the focus on the party, BG2 learned the lesson and did it right.

But, you've definitely got a point. Between BG1's misuse of the city and BG2's absolute avoidance of the city, there is a distinct suggestion that the city is irrelevant to the adventure. I think they're trying to fix this mistake and pull the focus back to the city, because the Bhaalspawn story has been told and the city is still a viable backdrop for more rousing tales. That said, I feel that as long as BG3 carries on the traditions of compelling story and entertaining NPCs and just a little touch of tongue-in-cheek silliness, I think it'll be a solid successor even if Bhaal is now referenced in the present tense again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Even worse, it's Chapters 5 AND 7, not 5 THROUGH 7. Chapter 6 is back at Candlekeep.

That said, all this talk is making me jones for Baldur's Gate again. Trying to convince myself not to. Sort of losing. Considering a human swashbuckler/mage, because what this game needs is another gorram thief/mage.
    Heh. Just finishing up a run, myself and already considering delving back in for another go. The story may be static, but there are still so many combinations of characters I haven't played... Probably going to try for an EE run (mostly EE characters like Neera and Dorn), just because I've never taken them past SoA. Beamdog's writing may be weaker than Black Isle's, but it's still content I haven't seen.

Probably female shaman, just to see if I can do anything with the class. Play her like a gypsy dancer. Could be fun.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2019-06-11 at 10:33 AM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

25. - Top - End - #295

You have a point, absolutely, but I would argue that this is a failing of BG1 and not an argument in your favor. For one thing, the politics of the city was a key point, and the presence of an old underground city and temple to Bhaal beneath it casts a dubious shadow over the city. Sarevok didn't pick Baldur's Gate by accident, it had all the tools for his ascension in one place. .
    Actually. I think he was just adopted by the head of the Iron Throne.

So.. It was random.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Actually. I think he was just adopted by the head of the Iron Throne.

So.. It was random.
    It could be. Way I read it, it was Sarevok that suggested BG as their headquarters for his own purposes.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It could be. Way I read it, it was Sarevok that suggested BG as their headquarters for his own purposes.
    It definitely wasn't random, he needed to be in BG, specifically. I believe he specifically asked to get assigned to that city.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Colossus in the Playground

Given that "Baldur's Gate 3" is not going to be a continuation of the story of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 in any sense, it would have been more honest to not name it "Baldur's Gate 3." That's only an "unfair catch-22" if you start from the premise that there must be an honest way to make a Baldur's Gate 3. But they could have come up with another name, and advertised it as "set in Baldur's Gate, the setting of the award-winning Baldur's Gate." All it would have cost them would have been the free (dishonest) hype of an imagined link to the prior games.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with, and hope they don't try to tie it in to Baldur's Gate 1 in some hamfisted way.

29. - Top - End - #299

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Given that "Baldur's Gate 3" is not going to be a continuation of the story of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 in any sense, it would have been more honest to not name it "Baldur's Gate 3." That's only an "unfair catch-22" if you start from the premise that there must be an honest way to make a Baldur's Gate 3. But they could have come up with another name, and advertised it as "set in Baldur's Gate, the setting of the award-winning Baldur's Gate." All it would have cost them would have been the free (dishonest) hype of an imagined link to the prior games.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with, and hope they don't try to tie it in to Baldur's Gate 1 in some hamfisted way.
    Yeah, it's only catch-22 if you assume I'm wanting Baldur's Gate 3 to be a thing and then never being satisfied with any outcome. I'm fine with a game being called 'Baldur's Gate: Interesting Subtitle', but 'Baldur's Gate 3' is implying a lot, which I don't think it can or should try to match. It should be its own thing.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

30. - Top - End - #300

Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    Yeah, it's only catch-22 if you assume I'm wanting Baldur's Gate 3 to be a thing and then never being satisfied with any outcome. I'm fine with a game being called 'Baldur's Gate: Interesting Subtitle', but 'Baldur's Gate 3' is implying a lot, which I don't think it can or should try to match. It should be its own thing.
    I think I side with you.

If you wanna make Baldur's Gate 3, do your best shot at continuing the story, but I have no idea how you will do it.

Otherwise, dont make a Baldur's Gate 3