New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy X d20 (All Races, All Classes, All Monsters, Blitzball, & MORE!)

Quote Originally Posted by Realms of Chaos View Post
    Stuff.
    I want to play this class now.
    Blue avatar by The Stoney One.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy X d20 (All Races, All Classes, All Monsters, Blitzball, & MORE!)

Looking at things from a different perspective than our long-winded friend, it seems off. First of all...you have no magical healing until level 3. In both D+D and FFX itself you can heal with magic right fromt he start. (Assuming you have a cleric or druid or what not in D+D).

Also, you make no notes of the RP requirements needed in order to gain the ability to summon. I assume this might be included later in a section devoted to the Aeons. But to me it seems prudent to maybe swap cure and Sumon. Yes, Yuna could summon once she entered your party, but it's greatly implied that Summoners spend a great deal of time training before they even gaintheir first Aeon, which is why they're also skilled with White Magic.

Another point on the Aeons is that there's no reason NOT to use them, except that they take damage and can "die". IN FFX only party members who take an action in the encounter gain expeience. To extrapolate to D20, you might want to say that if most of the damage in an encounter is done by an Aeon, only the summoner gains the experience, or the other party members gain half the usual experience. I think it might stem Aeon abuse if everyone is glaring at the summoner because she's keeping them from leveling up.

The Nul Spells should last to the end of the encounter.

Shell doesn't seem to work right though, it should probably provide a DR that works only against spells that scales with the Summoner's level. This fits more closely witht he game and shows that it didn't seem to help with preventing things like Poison from Bio spell, for instance.

You may also want to not that the DR provided from Protect stacks with all others, or otherwise provides DR 2/-

Most of the buffs should have a fixed duration. In FFX, only the Nul spells didn't wear off after a number of rounds, whereas your last the entire encounter. There was more than one fight or boss fight where I had to recast my protective buffs.

RoC seems right in that Regen should probably just give fast healing. It was always a fixed amount in the game after all.

Just trying to be constructive, keep up the good work!
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    Looking at things from a different perspective than our long-winded friend...
    Yup, I'm a big blowhard.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Long-winded? Perhaps. Blowhard? Doubtful. Helpful. Definitely.

Actually, I’m trying to get something that looks like FF & feels like FF, but plays like D&D. So, I’m aiming for something more in line with the standard RAW. However, as this project is probably more than I can chew, as it were, I could use a second pair of eyes on these classes. I value your opinion, RoC, & I can tell that you have an eye for game balance, so I appreciate your critiques.

As for your specific suggestions, I took them all to heart, & combined with the observations of Hunter, I have re-tooled the Summoner even more than the Pugilist. I’m still not sure about some of the abilities, but the various nerfs, tweaks & additions should go a long way toward fixing this class.

The process of actually gaining summoned Aeons was going to be in the Aeon overview, but I think I’ll have to post that sooner rather than later.

I know I said that I’d post the Ronin (Auron’s class) yesterday, but the Summoner overhaul took longer than I thought. Please take a look at the Ronin below, as well as the revised Summoner, & tell me what you think.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-05-12 at 08:28 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Ronin (“Auron”)
    Spoiler
    Show

Skilled warriors, dedicated to their beliefs & the art of the blade, the Ronin are a force to be reckoned with. A person may become a Ronin for a number of reasons: they may be a monk dissatisfied with their temple’s practices, or a swordsman with a desire to work magic with their weapons, or even a former priest who takes up a sword. Due to their form of piety, they tend to make dedicated guardians, & some Summoners seek Ronin out for just such a reason.

Alignment: Any non-chaotic.

Hit Die: d10.

Class Skills: The Ronin’s class skills (& the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (nobility) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), & Survival (Wis).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Intelligence modifier) × 4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level:
    2 + Intelligence modifier.

MP per Level: 1d6+4.

Hume Ronin Starting Package
    • Armor: scale mail (+4AC, armor check penalty -4, speed 20’, 30lbs), bracer (+1AC, armor check penalty -1, 5lbs)
    • Weapons: great sword (2d6, 19-20/×2, 8lbs, slashing)
    • Skill Selection: pick a number of skills equal to 3 + Intelligence modifier
    • Feat: Combat Expertise
    • Bonus Feat: Dodge
    • Gear: backpack, waterskin, trail rations, bedroll, sack, hempen rope, flint & steel kit, hooded lantern, pints of oil
    • Gold: 2d4gp (5gp)

Table 1-3: The Ronin
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special|Average MP
    1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Power Break|7.5
    2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Bonus Feat|15
    3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Guard|22.5
    4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Damage Reduction 1/-|30
    5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Magic Break|37.5
    6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Bonus Feat|45
    7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|Threaten|52.5
    8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|Damage Reduction 2/-|60
    9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|Armor Break|67.5
    10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|Bonus Feat|75
    11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+3|Aura of Courage|82.5
    12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+4|Damage Reduction 3/-|90
    13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+4|Mental Break|97.5
    14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+4|Bonus Feat|105
    15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+5|Zombie Attack|112.5
    16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+5|Damage Reduction 4/-|120
    17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+5|Entrust|127.5
    18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+6|Bonus Feat|135
    19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+6|Sentinel|142.5
    20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+6|Damage Reduction 5/-|150[/table]

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the ronin. See level progression on Table 1-3: The Ronin for more information.

Weapon & Armor Proficiency: you are proficient with all simple & martial weapons, & with all armor (heavy, medium, & light) & shields (including tower shields)

Power Break (Sp): at 1st level, you can weaken your opponent’s power with a melee attack; if your melee attack hits, then the opponent’s Strength bonus to attacks (if any) is negated for the rest of the encounter; your opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Wisdom modifier) to resist; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 8MP to use

Bonus Feat: at 2nd, 6th, 10th, 14th & 18th level, you gain a bonus feat; this feat must be a fighter feat; you must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat; these bonus feats are in addition to the feats that a character of any class gets from advancing levels

Guard (Su): at 3rd level, you can block attacks aimed at other party members; you must designate an ally within 30’ of you, in line of sight (no cover or concealment between the 2 of you); you may then intercept any physical attacks intended for them for the next 3 rounds; intercepting attacks means that the attack must overcome your AC &/or DR instead of your ally’s, & that you take any damage that the attack would normally deal; such interceptions are considered free actions; you also gain a +2 circumstance bonus to prevent your ally from being grappled; this does not work for spells targeting your ally, nor does this protect against area effect damage; you must not be pinned, disabled, or otherwise unable to act for this ability to work, & you must remain within 30’ of your chosen ally; this ability does not consume any MP to use

Damage Reduction (Ex): at 4th level, you gain Damage Reduction/-; subtract 1 from the damage you take each time you are dealt damage from a weapon or a natural attack; at 8th, 12th, 16th, & 20th level, this Damage Reduction rises by 1 point; Damage Reduction can reduce damage to 0, but not below 0

Magic Break (Sp): at 5th level, you can weaken your opponent’s magic with a melee attack; if your melee attack hits, then all damage dealt by that opponent’s spells is reduced by ½ for the rest of the encounter; the opponent’s healing magic is only ½ as effective, as well; multiple break effects do not stack; your opponent must make a Will save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Wisdom modifier) to resist; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 8MP to use

Threaten (Su): at 7th level, you can paralyze an enemy with fear; this causes 1 opponent within 30’ to become dazed for 3 rounds; creatures that are immune to fear are also immune to this effect; your opponent must make a Will save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Charisma/Strength modifier (whichever is higher)) to resist; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 12MP to use

Armor Break (Sp): at 9th level, you can weaken your opponent’s defense with a melee attack; if your melee attack hits, then the opponent’s armor bonus for natural or worn armor is negated for the rest of the encounter; your opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Wisdom modifier) to resist; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 12MP to use

Aura of Courage (Su): at 11th level, you are immune to fear (magical or otherwise); in addition, each ally within 30’ of you gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects; this ability functions while you are conscious, but not if you are incapacitated (via Petrified, Sleep, or KO) or dead

Mental Break (Sp): at 13th level, you can weaken your opponent’s magic defense with a melee attack; if your melee attack hits, then the opponent’s SR is negated for the rest of the encounter; your opponent must make a Will save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Wisdom modifier) to resist; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 12MP to use

Zombie Attack (Ex): at 15th level, you can charge 1 melee attack with a zombifying magic; if this melee attack hits, then you inflict your opponent with Zombie status (see Status Effects: Zombie, below); your opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Wisdom modifier) to resist; charging your melee weapon is a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity (although the melee attack does provoke as normal); a melee weapon remains charged for 1 round; this ability costs 10MP to use

Entrust (Su): at 17th level, you can transfer all of your Overdrive Points (OP’s) to the OP pool of any 1 ally within 30’; your ally still cannot accrue more that 100 OP’s total, & you cannot transfer less than your full OP pool; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 8MP to use

Sentinel (Su): at 19th level, you can increase your ability to use Guard to the point that your protection extends to 5 rounds at a time, & you only take ½ of the damage that the attack would normally deal; you also gain a +5 circumstance bonus to prevent your ally from being grappled, as well as a +5 circumstance bonus to both your AC & your DR; this does not work for spells or spell-like abilities targeting your ally, nor does this protect against area effect damage; you must not be pinned, disabled, or otherwise unable to act for this ability to work, & you must remain within 30’ of your chosen ally; this ability does not consume any MP to use
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-04-10 at 12:50 AM. Reason: adjusting MP

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quickly, on the topic of the summoner:
    Well, life has a smaller window of opportunity to work with, which helps balance. I would limit the window to a single round (like the revanance spell) to stop the summoner from acting as a revival-bot but it is probably fine as is.
    Also, you should probably say what type of damage reduction protect provides.

On the ronin:
    Surprisingly, I have very few problems with this.
    Actually, I have only one main concern: the breaks. For example, power break takes the wind out of a hill giant while armor break effectively turns all further attacks into touch attacks. Wait, this may not be a problem at all. Maybe I'm just unused to seeing fighters who can fight as effectively as spellcasters. If that is the case, I see absolutely nothing wrong with this ronin. Good work.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

In the last column on the Height and Weight table it says "Height Wodifier"
    Really, I suck at game balance, but I wanted to feel like I was contributing. I'll trust RoC to point out any flaws and help you perfect it.

This looks awesome, I'm a huge fan of FFX. You rock!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

I rather like the Ronin as well, it emulates Auron's abilities almost exactly as they appear in the game without making themt oo powerful.

The changes to the summoner are also good. Pray seems more on par now, it's more of an emergency thing than a free healing thing. Which is how I used it in the game (That and an easy way to get the Healer overdrive mode for Yuna).

There is still the problem of no healing until third level, outside of items. So unless healing potions are as plentiful as they are in the game, any party will have it very rough those first few levels.

Factotum Variants!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

For the summoner, I've revised the Summon ability for (hopefully) the last time. You'll just have to wait & see how it fits with the Aeons, which I'll be posting as soon as I've finished with the classes & the status effects. I also switched Cure & Esuna, so summoners can now heal at 2nd level instead of waiting for 3rd. Lastly, I noted the type of DR that protect provides (it's X/-, for the record).

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Lancer (“Kimahri Ronso”)
    Spoiler
    Show

Masters of pole arm-based combat, Lancers are powerful & versatile warriors. Known for adopting the techniques of both enemies & allies alike, a Lancer often has a wide variety of maneuvers that they rely on. Named for the most common pole arm that they use, Lancers also employ glaives, halberds, naginata & spears with deadly accuracy.

Alignment: Any non-lawful.

Hit Die: d12.

Class Skills: The Lancer’s class skills (& the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Tumble (Dex), & Use Magical Device (Cha).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Intelligence modifier) × 4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Intelligence modifier.

Ronso Lancer Starting Package
    • Armor: studded leather (+3AC, armor check penalty -1, speed 30’, 20lbs), armlet (+1AC, armor check penalty -1, 5lbs)
    • Weapons: long spear (1d8, 20/×3, reach weapon (15’), 9lbs, piercing)
    • Skill Selection: pick a number of skills equal to 4 + Intelligence modifier
    • Feat: Power Attack
    • Gear: backpack, waterskin, trail rations, bedroll, sack, flint & steel kit
    • Gold: 2d4gp (5gp)

Table 1-4: The Lancer
    1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Weapon Focus, Lancet|7.5
    2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Rage 1/day|15
    3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Class Feature 1|22.5
    4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Rage 2/day|30
    5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Scan|37.5
    6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Rage 3/day|45
    7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|Class Feature 2|52.5
    8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|Greater Rage|60
    9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|Class Feature 3|67.5
    10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|Rage 4/day|75
    11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+3|Jinx|82.5
    12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+4|Rage 5/day|90
    13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+4|Class Feature 4|97.5
    14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+4|Tireless Rage|105
    15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+5|Class Feature 5|112.5
    16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+5|Rage 6/day|120
    17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+5|Class Feature 6|127.5
    18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+6|Mighty Rage|135
    19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+6|Class Feature 7|142.5
    20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+6|Rage 7/day|150[/table]

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the lancer. See level progression on Table 1-4: The Lancer for more information.

Weapon & Armor Proficiency: you are proficient with all simple & martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, & shields (except tower shields)

Weapon Focus: at 1st level, you get Weapon Focus as a bonus feat; this must be used for a polearm of some sort, such as a glaive, a guisarme, a halberd, a lance, a naginata, a poleaxe, a ranseur, or a long spear

Lancet (Su): at 1st level, you can sap health & magic from your enemies; if you successfully hit an opponent with your pole arm, you transfer 10% of their current HP (minimum 1HP) & 10% of their current MP (minimum 1MP) to own respective pools; in addition, this attack allows you to make an Intelligence check (DC = 10 + opponent’s CR) to learn one of your Ronso Rage abilities (if you don’t have Ronso Rage as your overdrive, then this merely adds 1OP to your overdrive pool); you cannot sap HP or MP in excess of your current maximum with this ability; your opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Wisdom modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity; this ability does not consume any MP to use

Rage (Ex): at 2nd level, you can fly into a rage once per day; in a rage, you temporarily gain a +4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, & a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but you take a -2 penalty to Armor Class; the increase in Constitution increases your HP by 2 points per level, but this HP goes away at the end of the rage when your Constitution score drops back to normal (this extra HP is not lost first the way temporary hit points are); while raging, you cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, & Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can you cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function; you can use any feat you have except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, & metamagic feats; a fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + your (newly improved) Constitution modifier; you may prematurely end your rage; at the end of the rage, you lose the rage modifiers & restrictions, & become fatigued (-2 penalty to Strength, -2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter (unless you have Tireless Rage, at which point this limitation no longer applies); you can fly into a rage only once per encounter; at 4th level you can use your rage ability twice per day; at 6th level you can use your rage ability 3 times per day; at 10th level you can use your rage ability 4 times per day; at 12th level you can use your rage ability 5 times per day; at 16th level you can use your rage ability 6 times per day; at 20th level you can use your rage ability 7 times per day; entering a rage is a swift action

Class Feature: at 3rd, 7th, 9th, 13th, 15th, 17th & 19th level, you gain 1 class feature from another class; this feature must already be accessible to an ally who has been in your party (defined as creatures that you willingly adventure with, & that willingly adventure with you) ever since the last time you gained a bonus class feature (or 1st level, in the case of your first feature); you must have seen this feature performed at least once & made a successful Intelligence check afterward (DC10 + the HD of the ally performing the feature); this feature cannot be used if it depends on knowing another class feature first (such as Mug being dependent on Steal, or Firaga being dependent on Fire & Fira); an ability must be one that is normally gained at a class level equal to your own + 1 or lower; extraordinary, supernatural, & spell-like abilities can be acquired & used; this feature has the same restrictions & costs as the original class feature, & operates in all respects identically; spells, summoning abilities, skill ranks, feats, maneuvers, maneuvers readied & overdrives cannot be gained in this manner

Scan (Su): at 5th level, you can scan a single opponent within 30’, learning its various strengths & weaknesses; this ability allows you to view 1 opponent’s full current statistics; this is a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 1MP to use

Greater Rage (Ex): at 8th level, your bonuses to Strength & Constitution during your rage each increase to +6, & your morale bonus on Will saves increases to +3; the penalty to AC remains at -2

Jinx (Su): at 11th level, you can decrease the fortune of your enemies; this ability affects all opponents within 30’, inflicting a -2 luck penalty on all attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, & AC for 3 rounds; these effects are negated for an opponent if a luck effect is successfully used on them or the effect expires; multiple jinx effects do not stack; your opponent must make a Will save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Wisdom modifier) to resist; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity; this ability does not consume any MP to use

Tireless Rage (Ex): at 14th level, you no longer become fatigued at the end of your rage

Mighty Rage (Ex): at 18th level, your bonuses to Strength & Constitution during your rage each increase to +8, & your morale bonus on Will saves increases to +4; the penalty to AC remains at -2
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-04-10 at 12:51 AM. Reason: adjusting MP

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

I like the Lancer for the most part, fits where Khimari was on the sphere grid perfectly since he could either dive into one person's grid, or dabble in them all.

Lancet is the only iffy ability, 10% can be next to nothing or utelry devastating, esepcially since it's based on current HP/MP. Also, forcing it to a melee atack is a good compromise. Personally, I'd rather make the lancet part of a melee touch attack that does no damage, rather than an add-on to the regular melee attack, and keep it's dain effect of course. Of course, that makes it almost useless for anything but learning Ronso Rage overdrives. Perhaps making the same check to gain a small number of OPs for a non Ronso Rage user would be appropriate?
    Last edited by Hunter Noventa; 2008-05-12 at 12:46 PM.

Factotum Variants!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Lancer screams, "cheese." Free "Shadow Pounce?" Warlock "Invocations?" [incidentally allowing you to Dimension-Door at will for Shadow Pounce]

You could also (arguably; the wording is debatable) take Maneuvers and Maneuvers Readied and have saved a lot of feats on Martial Study and the like to gain a ton of new maneuvers (albeit limited by your .5 IL/level).

Taking "Maneuvers" in Warblade, Crusader, and Swordsage and then Maneuvers Readied in Warblade is also an interesting option since you then have access to all nine disciplines and the best recovery mechanic. You still have 3 "Class Feature"s left to spare too.

I'm not even touching some of the horrendously broken stuff either (take "Divine Recovery" and "Divine Impetus" and then take "Turn or Rebuke Undead" 5 times from separate classes).

Luckily you can't abuse spell-casting because you lack a caster level (and thus cannot meet minimum caster level requirements to cast spells).

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

I like the Lancer for the most part, fits where Khimari was on the sphere grid perfectly since he could either dive into one person's grid, or dabble in them all.
    Most of the other characters could likewise "dive" into one or two other grid sections (though not all admittedly).

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Penance View Post
    Most of the other characters could likewise "dive" into one or two other grid sections (though not all admittedly).
    True, but generally not until the very end of their grids. Kimahri could do it as soon as you found a key sphere.

As for your other concers, remember that these classes are meant to be played alongside each other, not with other d20 classes. At all. Ever.

Factotum Variants!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

As for your other concers, remember that these classes are meant to be played alongside each other, not with other d20 classes. At all. Ever.
    If that's true it's a little different (read: less broken) but it could still "steal" the ability to summon Aeons, the defining class feature of the Summoner. And it would still have 6 class features left...

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

If that's true it's a little different (read: less broken) but it could still "steal" the ability to summon Aeons, the defining class feature of the Summoner. And it would still have 6 class features left...
    Except for not having any aeons to summon, because they haven't gone through the training,a nd would likely be branded a heretic for doing so. I see your point, and without more mechanics it can be nasty. It obviously need to be more fully explained.

Factotum Variants!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Except for not having any aeons to summon, because they haven't gone through the training,a nd would likely be branded a heretic for doing so.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Summon (Sp): once per day, at 1st level, you can call upon an Outsider with the [Aeon] subtype (see Aeons, below) to battle your enemies for you; the Aeon is instantly transported from the transdimentional pocket in which it normally resides, while you disappear into that same transdimentional pocket (within which you cannot be harmed or otherwise contacted in any way) while your Aeon battles in your stead; you can (usually) command your Aeons from the safety of your transdimentional pocket, although you can take no other actions than to control or dismiss your Aeon, & you can only perceive what your Aeon can; an Aeon will remain on the battlefield until either the encounter ends, you dismiss them, or that Aeon is reduced to 0HP; after your Aeon departs, you will reappear in the exact same spot that you left; you can only summon Aeons that you have unlocked & that have at least 1HP; a summoned Aeon gets a fair share of the XP for encounters in which it participates; summoning is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability does not consume any MP to use; at 5th level, you can summon an Aeon 2 times per day; at 10th level, you can summon an Aeon 3 times per day; at 15th level, you can summon an Aeon 4 times per day; at 20th level, you can summon an Aeon 5 times per day

Except nowhere in there is such a restriction made. Rules text is what people will look at when they see if a system is balanced. Also, most people won't care if they're branded a heretic if 1) they keep it secret (and thus actually are not branded a heretic), or 2) they can kill anyone that comes for them with Aeons.

I see your point, and without more mechanics it can be nasty. It obviously need to be more fully explained.
    Yeah, just clarify the Aeon/Summoning rules, et cetera. Overall, I like the look of the project. I can't wait to see blitzball (the game and the thrown weapon!). Overdrives should be pretty cool too.

EDIT!: I just found a HUGE loophole in the Class Feature ability. It doesn't restrict your selection except to abilities possessed by your fellow adventurers. If you happen to travel (at level 2) with a Summoner 20 and gain a level, you can now select Holy. You can't use it until level 4 but once you hit level 4 you can deal 20d6+80 damage... You don't even need to be careful to optimize this ability... It's just ridiculous right now (good concept, horribly abusable execution).
    Last edited by Dark-Penance; 2008-05-12 at 04:45 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Even though I don't see it as much of an issue, I have tweaked the Class Feature class feature () so that it is harder to abuse, & so that it is more clearly defined what kind of powers are excluded.

Although I must say, Dark-Penance, if your DM allows a 20th-level character to adventure in your party during your entire 1st & 2nd class levels, then there is little I can do to balance your game, no matter what rules I write.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Even though I don't see it as much of an issue, I have tweaked the Class Feature class feature () so that it is harder to abuse, & so that it is more clearly defined what kind of powers are excluded.

Although I must say, Dark-Penance, if your DM allows a 20th-level character to adventure in your party during your entire 1st & 2nd class levels, then there is little I can do to balance your game, no matter what rules I write.
    High-level guest NPCs that you briefly meet? Also, is "party" defined? What if you secretly tag along/stalk a very high-level character (such as the level 20 Summoner). They might notice you but disregard you for being a negligible threat at most or even a small aid against minor animals, et cetera that they'd rather not waste their time on. If you follow along until you hit level 3 and grab Holy... well, even if you have to wait until level 4 to fire off 20d6+80 damage (save or half to still deal a whole lot for your level) once per day, it's completely worth it.

Also, I don't have a DM that would allow it and I sure would not but it's best to seal those theoretical loopholes to make intent clear and make the RAW agree with the RAI. When the RAW is balanced, all is zen.

EDIT: Holy can still be obtained.
    If I might make a suggestion, I would add a clause similar to the following:
    "The ability must be one that is gained at a class level # (maybe 2 or something) levels below your class level."
    This would limit you from selecting powerful things like Holy and would also mean you'd have to wait a little longer to acquire abilities (since there is little point in many classes if you can steal their best abilities at earlier levels by meeting higher-level NPCs and the like or even gaining them within 1 level of your equal-tier PCs).

I'm not trying to poke holes in your project to be rude. Far from that, I thought FFX was a great and engaging game and wouldn't want to see the material meant to represent it as horribly "broken" mechanically.
    Last edited by Dark-Penance; 2008-05-12 at 11:56 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Holy can still be obtained.
    Fixed. Now even the most min-maxxing munchkin who ever tried to play a kobold wizard has to wait until 19th level before getting Holy, for what it's worth.

And as for your earlier comment, Hunter, yes, these classes are meant to be played alongside each other, but I am attempting to make them balanced enough to be used with other classes in other campaign settings. This project wouldn't be very useful if nothing in it was useful outside of Spira.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Blitzer (“Wakka”)
    Spoiler
    Show

The game of blitzball is a graceful ballet of underwater maneuvers. It is also a sometimes brutal full-contact sport with ruthless players vying for any advantage. This has led to Blitzers becoming adept at ranged combat, using blitzballs as deadly weapons. They have even been known to use magic to enhance their balls, giving them spell-like properties that with affect their opponents.

Alignment: Any.

Hit Die: d8.

Class Skills: The Blitzer’s class skills (& the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), & Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Intelligence modifier) × 4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Intelligence modifier.

Hume Blitzer Starting Package
    • Armor: leather (+2AC, max. dex. +6, speed 30’, 15lbs), armguard (+1AC, armor check penalty -1, 5lbs)
    • Weapons: blitzball (1d6, 20/×2, 15’ range, 2lbs, bouncing, bludgeoning)
    • Skill Selection: pick a number of skills equal to 5 + Intelligence modifier
    • Feat: Point Blank Shot
    • Bonus Feat: Far Shot
    • Gear: backpack, waterskin, trail rations, bedroll, sack, hempen rope, flint & steel kit
    • Gold: 3d4gp (7gp)

Table 1-5: The Blitzer
    1st|+0|+2|+2|+0|Dark Attack|7.5
    2nd|+1|+3|+3|+0|Keen Blitzing +1|15
    3rd|+2|+3|+3|+1|Silence Attack|22.5
    4th|+3|+4|+4|+1|Fast Movement +5’|30
    5th|+3|+4|+4|+1|Aim|37.5
    6th|+4|+5|+5|+2|Keen Blitzing +2|45
    7th|+5|+5|+5|+2|Sleep Attack|52.5
    8th|+6/+1|+6|+6|+2|Fast Movement +10’|60
    9th|+6/+1|+6|+6|+3|Dark Buster|67.5
    10th|+7/+2|+7|+7|+3|Keen Blitzing +4|75
    11th|+8/+3|+7|+7|+3|Drain|82.5
    12th|+9/+4|+8|+8|+4|Fast Movement +20’|90
    13th|+9/+4|+8|+8|+4|Silence Buster|97.5
    14th|+10/+5|+9|+9|+4|Keen Blitzing +6|105
    15th|+11/+6/+1|+9|+9|+5|Sleep Buster|112.5
    16th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|Fast Movement +30’|120
    17th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|Osmose|127.5
    18th|+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+6|Keen Blitzing +8|135
    19th|+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+6|Triple Foul|142.5
    20th|+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+6|Fast Movement +40’|150[/table]

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the blitzer. See level progression on Table 1-5: The Blitzer for more information.

Weapon & Armor Proficiency: you are proficient with all simple & martial weapons, & with light armor & shields (except tower shields)

Dark Attack (Su): at 1st level, you can charge 1 ranged attack with a blinding magic; if this ranged attack hits, then your opponent is rendered Blind (see Status Effects: Blind, below) for the next 3 rounds; your opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Charisma modifier) to resist; charging your ranged weapon is a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity (although the ranged attack does provoke as normal); a ranged weapon remains charged for 1 round; this ability costs 5MP to use

Keen Blitzing (Ex): at 2nd level, your dedication to the sport of Blitzball affords you a +1 insight bonus to all Blitzball-related statistics (except HP & SP, see Blitzball); at 6th level, this bonus increases to +2; at 10th level, this bonus increases to +4; at 14th level, this bonus increases to +6; at 18th level, this bonus increases to +8

Silence Attack (Su): at 3rd level, you can charge 1 ranged attack with a silencing magic; if this ranged attack hits, then your opponent is rendered Mute (see Status Effects: Mute, below) for the next 3 rounds, unable to cast any spells with a verbal component; your opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Charisma modifier) to resist; charging your ranged weapon is a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity (although the ranged attack does provoke as normal); ; a ranged weapon remains charged for 1 round; this ability costs 5MP to use

Fast Movement (Ex): at 4th level, you gain an enhancement bonus to your speed equal to +5’ per round; you lose this extra speed while in armor or carrying a medium or heavy load; this enhancement refers only to land movement & swim speed (which applies to the SP statistic, see Blitzball, below); any ability to ride, fly, or burrow is not enhanced by this bonus; at 8th level, this bonus increases to +10’ per round; at 12th level, this bonus increases to +20’ per round; at 16th level, this bonus increases to +30’ per round; at 20th level, this bonus increases to +40’ per round

Aim (Su): at 5th level, you can boost the accuracy of your party’s attacks; this ability grants all allies within 30’ (including yourself) a +2 competence bonus to attack rolls for the rest of the encounter; these effects are negated for an ally if they are successfully hit with a curse effect, or die (even if they are revived during the same encounter); this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity; this ability does not consume any MP to use

Sleep Attack (Su): at 7th level, you can charge 1 ranged attack with a sleeping magic; if this ranged attack hits, then your opponent is rendered unconscious (see Status Effects: Sleep, below) for the next 3 rounds; sleeping opponents are helpless & prone, but will awaken if hit by a physical (but not magical) attack; your opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Charisma modifier) to resist; charging your ranged weapon is a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity (although the ranged attack does provoke as normal); a ranged weapon remains charged for 1 round; this ability costs 5MP to use

Dark Buster (Su): at 9th level, you can spend an extra 5MP (10MP total) in order to increase the blinding power of Dark Attack so that your opponent is rendered Blind (see Status Effects: Blind, below) for the next round, & does not get a saving throw to resist; charging your ranged weapon is a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity (although the ranged attack does provoke as normal); a ranged weapon remains charged for 1 round

Drain (Sp): at 11th level, you can sap an enemy’s health & give it to yourself; on a successful touch attack, you transfer 1d4HP per HD from your opponent’s HP pool to your own; your opponent can make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Charisma modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 12MP to use

Silence Buster (Su): at 13th level, you can spend an extra 5MP (10MP total) in order to increase the muting power of Silence Attack so that your opponent is rendered Mute (see Status Effects: Mute, below) for the next round, & does not get a saving throw to resist; charging your ranged weapon is a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity (although the ranged attack does provoke as normal); a ranged weapon remains charged for 1 round

Sleep Buster (Su): at 15th level, you can spend an extra 5MP (10MP total) in order to increase the narcotic power of Sleep Attack so that your opponent is rendered unconscious (see Status Effects: Sleep, below) for the next round, & does not get a saving throw to resist; charging your ranged weapon is a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity (although the ranged attack does provoke as normal); a ranged weapon remains charged for 1 round

Osmose (Sp): at 17th level, you can sap an enemy’s magic & give it to yourself; on a successful touch attack, you transfer 2d4MP per HD (theirs) from your opponent’s MP pool to your own; your opponent can make a Will save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Charisma modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability does not consume any MP to use

Triple Foul (Su): at 19th level, you can spend 24MP in order to combine Dark Attack, Silence Attack, & Sleep Attack all into a single crippling strike; if this ranged attack hits, then your opponent is rendered Blind, Mute & unconscious (see Status Effects, below) for the next 3 rounds; your opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Charisma modifier) to resist each effect individually; charging your ranged weapon is a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity (although the ranged attack does provoke as normal); a ranged weapon remains charged for 1 round; this ability costs 24MP to use
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-04-10 at 12:53 AM. Reason: adjusting MP

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

The Blitzer seems fun and balanced, a dedicated debuffer, much like it should be. The only qualm I have is the low fortitude save, if only because being able to swim and play blitzball as it appears in the game (cutscenes, rather than the slower-paced minigame) would indicate tremendous stamina as well as sharp reflexes, rather like the standard Ranger.

I could actually see playing a variant of the blitzer, ever so slightly returned for regualr D20 games (i.e., a bonus to somethingbesides Blitzball), in a plain D+D game.The same could be said so far for the Pugilist and the Ronin, but this one more so, simply because it would be different, fun and effective.

I assume the 'bouncing' trait on the blitzball indicates that it returns to the thrower? I'd almost make it a part of the class that could apply to any reasonable ranged weapon of similar style. For example a chakram or shuriken, though it douesn't really suit say, a dagger. Obviously in Spira they'd use a blitzball, but elsewhere the same concept could work for most thrown weapons.

And regarding your comment on my comment, you probably already noticed that I started to include tidbits on how it could be adapted to better suit "plain" d20. Some things, like MP and Aeons, I'll leave alone until we see more about how they work and what else there is to work with. But I'm happy to add my thoughts on how these work in d20 in addition to with each other.
    Last edited by Hunter Noventa; 2008-05-13 at 02:10 PM.

Factotum Variants!

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

The only qualm I have is the low fortitude save, if only because being able to swim and play blitzball as it appears in the game (cutscenes, rather than the slower-paced minigame) would indicate tremendous stamina as well as sharp reflexes, rather like the standard Ranger.
    This has been fixed; I agree with your reasoning, so I raised the Fortitude. Now it has a more unique stat profile, unlike any other Spiran class. For a replacement of the Keen Blitzing ability, I'd suggest either more de-buffing options, something akin to a ranger's Favored Enemy ability, or a little of both.

Also, I have completely redone the Table of Contents. Check it out, because it will give you a good idea for what to expect from the project in general & what's coming up next.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

I would suggest that you link the entries in the table of contents to the respective posts. It makes it more convenient and more professional.

I'm eager to eventually see how Blitzball works in terms of D&D (ideas of base attack bonus influencing Shot, reflex saves influencing Catch, etc. run through my mind and make me excited to see how you decide to implement it). :)

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Black Mage (“Lulu”)
    Spoiler
    Show

Practitioners of the eldritch arts don’t always become Summoners. Those who seek to harness magical power sometimes want to cast more destructive spells. For those who desire this kind of sorcery, there is the path of the Black Mage. Able to wield potent magics, Black Mages are greatly feared on the battlefield, blasting their enemies with elemental & concussive spells. Summoners have grown to respect the Black Mage’s talents, to the point where they sometimes employ Black Mages as guardians for a pilgrimage.

Alignment: Any.

Hit Die: d4.

Class Skills: The Black Mage’s class skills (& the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (Int), Spellcraft (Int), & Use Magical Device (Cha).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Intelligence modifier) × 4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Intelligence modifier.

MP per Level: 2d6+8.

Hume Black Mage Starting Package
    • Armor: bangle (+0AC, 0lbs), speed 30’
    • Weapons: battle doll (1d4, 20/×2, 1lb, bludgeoning)
    • Skill Selection: pick a number of skills equal to 3 + Intelligence modifier
    • Feat: Toughness
    • Bonus Feat: Empower Spell
    • Gear: backpack, waterskin, trail rations, bedroll, sack, hempen rope, flint & steel kit, candles, map case, parchment, ink, inkpen
    • Gold: 3d4gp (7gp)

Table 1-6: The Black Mage
    1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Thunder|15
    2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Water|30
    3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Blizzard|45
    4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Fire|60
    5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Focus|75
    6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Bonus Feat|90
    7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Thundara|105
    8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Watera|120
    9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Blizzara|135
    10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Fira|150
    11th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Reflex|165
    12th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|Bonus Feat|180
    13th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|Bio|195
    14th|+7/+2|+4|+4|+9|Demi|210
    15th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+9|Death|225
    16th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10|Thundaga|240
    17th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10|Waterga|255
    18th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Blizzaga|270
    19th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Firaga|285
    20th|+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|Flare|300[/table]

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the black mage. See level progression on Table 1-6: The Black Mage for more information.

Weapon & Armor Proficiency: you are proficient with the club, dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, & quarterstaff, but not with any type of armor or shield; armor of any type interferes with a black mage’s gestures, which can cause your class features to fail (treat all spell-like class features as spells with somatic components for the purposes of spell failure rates); the only armor that a black mage can safely use are protective bangles

Thunder (Sp): at 1st level, you can attack an enemy with electrical energy; this is a ranged touch attack that deals 1d4 points of electricity damage per class level to 1 opponent within 30’ on a successful hit; your opponent can make Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 4MP to use

Water (Sp): at 2nd level, you can attack an enemy with watery energy; this is a ranged touch attack that deals 1d4 points of water (force) damage per class level to 1 opponent within 30’ on a successful hit; your opponent can make Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 4MP to use

Blizzard (Sp): at 3rd level, you can attack an enemy with freezing energy; this is a ranged touch attack that deals 1d4 points of cold damage per class level to 1 opponent within 30’ on a successful hit; your opponent can make Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 4MP to use

Fire (Sp): at 4th level, you can attack an enemy with flaming energy; this is a ranged touch attack that deals 1d4 points of fire damage per class level to 1 opponent within 30’ on a successful hit; your opponent can make Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 4MP to use

Focus (Su): at 5th level, you can augment the magical power & defenses of your party; this ability grants all allies within 30’ (including yourself) +25% on all damaging & healing spells &/or spell-like abilities for the rest of the encounter; in addition, those party members affected by this gain Spell Resistance +2 for the rest of the encounter; these effects are negated for an ally if they are successfully hit with a curse effect, or die (even if they are revived during the same encounter); multiple focus effects do not stack; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity; this ability does not consume any MP to use

Bonus Feat: at 6th & 12th level, you gain a bonus feat; at each such opportunity, you can choose a metamagic feat (including a Universal Spell Feat, see below) or an item creation feat; you must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including caster level minimums; these bonus feats are in addition to the feats that a character of any class gets from advancing levels

Thundara (Sp): at 7th level, you can spend an extra 4MP (8MP total) in order to increase the damage of Thunder to 1d6+1 points of electricity damage per class level; your opponent can make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity

Watera (Sp): at 8th level, you can spend an extra 4MP (8MP total) in order to increase the damage of Water to 1d6+1 points of water (force) damage per class level; your opponent can make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity

Blizzara (Sp): at 9th level, you can spend an extra 4MP (8MP total) in order to increase the damage of Blizzard to 1d6+1 points of cold damage per class level; your opponent can make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity

Fira (Sp): at 10th level, you can spend an extra 4MP (8MP total) in order to increase the damage of Fire to 1d6+1 points of fire damage per class level; your opponent can make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity

Reflex (Su): at 11th level, you can increase the evasion prowess of your party; this ability grants all allies within 30’ (including yourself) a +4 dodge bonus to AC for the rest of the encounter; these effects are negated for an ally if they are successfully hit with a curse effect, or die (even if they are revived during the same encounter); even though it is a dodge bonus, multiple reflex effects do not stack; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity; this ability does not consume any MP to use

Bio (Sp): at 13th level, you can attack an enemy with toxic energy; this is a ranged touch attack that inflicts 1 opponent within 30’ with Poison (see Status Effects: Poison, below); your opponent remains poisoned for the rest of the encounter, unless it is negated; your opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) to resist; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 10MP to use

Demi (Sp): at 14th level, you can attack your enemies with deadly energy; this ability reduces the current HP of all opponents within 30’ by 25%; your opponents can each make a Reflex save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 32MP to use

Death (Sp): at 15th level, you can magically slay an enemy; this is a ranged touch attack that kills 1 opponent within 30’ (0HP or less, see Status Effects: KO, below); your opponent can make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) to resist; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 20MP to use

Thundaga (Sp): at 16th level, you can spend an extra 8MP (16MP total) in order to increase the damage of Thundara to 1d8+2 points of electricity damage per class level; your opponent can make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity

Waterga (Sp): at 17th level, you can spend an extra 8MP (16MP total) in order to increase the damage of Watera to 1d8+2 points of water (force) damage per class level; your opponent can make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity

Blizzaga (Sp): at 18th level, you can spend an extra 8MP (16MP total) in order to increase the damage of Blizzara to 1d8+2 points of cold damage per class level; your opponent can make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity

Firaga (Sp): at 19th level, you can spend an extra 8MP (16MP total) in order to increase the damage of Fira to 1d8+2 points of fire damage per class level; your opponent can make a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity

Flare (Sp): at 20th level, you can attack an enemy with devastating energy; this is a ranged touch attack that deals 1d10+3 points of non-specified damage per class level to 1 opponent within 30’; your opponent can make Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Intelligence modifier) for half damage; this is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity; this ability costs 54MP to use
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-04-10 at 12:54 AM. Reason: adjusting MP

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

No Ultima? I mean the summoner did get Holy.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Krysis View Post
    No Ultima? I mean the summoner did get Holy.
    Yeah, but Holy was at the end of Yuna's sphere grid path and Flare was at the end of Lulu's. Ultima was sealed off in the very middle of Kimahri's by the level 4 locks.
    The Laughing Man
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."
    I am Jack's colon.
    "I get cancer. I kill Jack."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Black Mage looks good to me.

And yeah, Ultima isn't on Lulu's track, while Holy is on Yuna's. Ultima is pretty freaking powerful after all, it's have to be a quest reward or something, considering how annoying it was to get the Level 4 key Spheres.

Factotum Variants!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Bugbear in the Playground

This all looks really nice so far, a Zeta Kai classic. As a dedicated advocate of sticking to the source material, though, I'd like to propose a change in the mechanics for summoning. In FFX, the party didn't disappear whenever Yuna summoned an Aeon. Rather, they ran off-screen to give the rampaging beast some room while Yuna either rode the thing (as in Ifrit) or stood by it (as in Bahamut). Most importantly, during Yuna's "wedding", she summoned Valefore to get her out of there, and definitely rode on its back during the summon. When translated to D&D, I see no reason why the summoner couldn't remain actively in battle, or at least on the battlefield.

In the former case, the summoner may have to devote a move or standard action each turn to maintain the summon, or else be limited in using her abilities solely on the Aeon. This could be an interesting (or frustrating) way to handle the summon, since there's a squishy caster on the field of battle that is the key to defeating a nigh-unstoppable monster. It could be a strategic development or the meat shield's nightmare. Nevertheless, I think that in order to be true to the game, the summoner must stay on the battlefield while controlling her Aeon.

Just my two gil.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

That seems appropriate. Give the entire party a move action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity when it's summoned, the summoner has to take a full-round action to control and direct the Aeon, and perhaps have creatures need to make a very tough will save to not attack the summon over everything else? Kind of a sanctuary effect on the party with a realyl high DC? So if the rest of the party really wants to get int he way of the summon, they can.

A thought, perhaps for a variant?

Factotum Variants!