New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The GitP Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Challenge! [27/32 Slots]

An Introduction

What is this?

A Fight to the death! Dwarf, Human, Elf, and countless other creatures locked in Mortal Combat!
    Arrows Flying! Swords Slashing! Blood and Guts Spread Across the Arena Floor!

To what end?

Countless Riches? No
    Honor? Glory? Fame? Perhaps
    To be recognized as the strongest, fastest, or cleverest? Most Assuredly
    But most importantly, to earn the title:

CHAMPION OF THE ARENA

You'll be the best! Songs will be song about your skills in the ring! Your name will never be forgotten!

At least until the next tournament...

Who came up with this?

It wasn't me, I assure you! In fact, it was our lovely friends at the SomethingAwful forums who deserve the credit.
    One Bard, in particular, deserves high praise indeed!
    He is the Founder of the Fight, the Mediator of Discord, the Grand Master himself!

Vox Nihili

We are but feint imitators in comparison

What Format Will the Tournaments Take?

There are many possibilities: Single-Elimination, Double Elimination, Round Robin, etc. It could be Team based, or a Free For All!. The format for any particular tournament will be decided by the Arena Master beforehand.

How many people can join a tournament?

It Depends on the format and how much interest there is! However, typical sizes are 16, 32, or 64.

How do I join?

It's easy! Usually you'll just have to post a message declaring your interest, and include your Gladiator's name and race!

I don't know much about Dwarf Fortress. What race is best? What Weapons and Armor should I use?

Only the base essentials are provided in the thread. Since this is competitive, its up to you to figure out whats best. Feel free to ask any questions in the thread or on the forums. A good source of information is the Dwarf fortress wiki found at http://df.magmawiki.com.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview and Rules

Spoiler
    Show
    These Rules( including the point system ) were originally developed by the esteemed Vox Nihili at the SomethingAwful forums

The Arena Master

The Arena Master runs the tournament. His or Her duties are extensive. They include, but are not limited to, the following: Maintaning and updating these rules, recruitment, running the battles and writing commentary, and settling all disputes that may arise in a just and timely manner. It is essential that the Arena Master remain fair and unbiased. I, Sarco Phage, shall be the Arena Master of this tournament. I plan not to eat any flesh, regardless of my name.

Joining as a Gladiator

Before the start of a tournament the Arena Master will decide on the tournament format, including whether or not a gladiator's skills and equipment will be known to all or kept secret. The first is called a Open Tournament and the latter is called a Blind tournament. The tournament format will also dictate the number of gladiators who may join, or at least a series of upper limits. For example, in a single elimination tournament typical sizes are 16, 32, 64, etc. In order to join, all you must do is announce your intention to join in this thread, along with your Gladiator's name and race. If its an open tournament, you will need to post your skills and equipment purchases in the thread before the start of the first match, while in a blind tournament you must send them directly to the Arena Master.
    In the event that too many Gladiators wish to spill their blood, the Arena Master may, at his or her discretion: extend the joining period, deny entry outright to the extra combatants, or call for a battle royal to decide who gets the final spot in the tournament. It's first come first serve*, so sign up as early as possible.

*In future tournaments, gladiators who fought in the preceding tournament will have the right-of-way, and a non-random seeding system may be implemented.

About the Tournament

The subsequent post will lay out the details of the current tournament, including whether or not it will be an open or blind tournament, what system it will follow(Single-Elimination, Round Robin, etc.), whether or not its a team game, etc. If there is something that is not clear, please ask.

The Arena

The fighting will take place in the center ring that can be found in arena mode. Constestants will be placed opposite each other, on the east and west sides of the ring.

Spoiler
    Show

The Version

The newest version of DF will be used assuming combat and other relevant game mechanics weren't broken. The same version will be used throughout the tournament. The version being used for the current tournament will be listed in the Tournament overview in the next post.

Gladiator Generation

Spoiler
    Show
    The Races

The most important decision you'll have to make before the start of the tournament is what race your gladiator will be. Which race you chose will determine what equipment you can use, how much damage you can inflict, grant you special abilities, or even extra limbs.
    Your race will also determine how many points you get to spend on equipment and skills before each round. This is mainly for balance reasons, but also to represent smaller creatures cleverness.
    The most important distinction between the races, besides the points they receive, is their size. Size effects the amount of damage they will inflict*, and their ability to knock their opponent over. Gladiators that have been knocked over have a nasty tendency to get pulverized(unless they are wearing some nice armor), and is thus a position you'll wish to avoid. Thus, the ability to dodge out of the way is often a crucial skill for smaller players to have. For this reason, races classified as "tiny" get a 20% reduction in the price of dodging skills while races classified as "huge" must pay 20% more.
    *smaller creatures can generally match their larger counterparts in slashing and stabbing attacks, but bigger opponents are much better at bashing and punching
    Some of the more fanciful races have different or extra appendages compared to your average humanoid. This may allow them to wield extra weaponry or armor, but it also may mean they can't use certain items. These differences are listed under the special abilities category.
    All creatures have attributes that can affect their performance in battle: Strength, Agility, Toughness, Endurance, Disease Resistance, and Recuperation. Your creatures attributes are determined by the amount of skill they have, but are distributed randomly. However, many of the different races have innate modifiers to certain attributes, which may give them an edge in battle.

Races may also have special abilities. For instance, many of the animal-like races can bite in unarmed combat.

Spoiler
    Show

Points are the life blood any worthy gladiator. The way you spend them will determine your success in the ring.
    As stated in the previous section, the amount of points you get to spend before the tournament depends on your gladiator's race. If you manage to win a match, you will earn the same amount of points to spend on the next round. You do not have to spend any points to heal yourself.
    You may spend points on Equipment and Skills, which are summarized below.

Skills

Your gladiator can purchase skills before the start of each round. Skills can be upgraded as many as 14 times, the first level being Novice and the last being Grand Master.
    The first level of each skill is assigned a base price, and the price of each subsequent level is equal to the base price of the skill multiplied by the level of the skill you are purchasing. For example, if your gladiator was a Level 2("Adequate") fighter and wished to purchase the 4th level, it would cost 3 * 3 + 3 * 4 f= 9 points. 3 is the base cost and does not change, multiplied by the levels to be purchased. Note that the cost is cumulative: you must buy all the preceding levels!
    What each skill does is fairly self explanatory. Please go to the Dwarf Fortress wiki or ask on the forums if you are unfamiliar with any particular skill.

Spoiler
    Show

Equipment

As you've probably surmised, your gladiator will be able to purchase an assortment of equipment, made out of various materials, to wield in the arena. Equipment can be divided up into two categories: Weapons and Armor.

Note that you cannot make weapons, shields or bucklers, out of leather.

You may sell back equipment before each round for half its original value. You may NOT sell skills back.

A longsword has a base price of 24; if its made of of steel, which has a "cost multiplier" of 4, the total value will be 96 points.

Materials

Materials have gotten complicated in Dwarf Fortress of late. In terms of combat, though, materials have 3 primary properties: Weight, Edge, and Stopping Power. [I take no credit for this chart, its taken directly from the SA thread]

Spoiler
    Show

Weapons

Weapons and Shields(including bucklers), are held in your gladiator's hands. Depending on the race, it may take one-hand or 2-hands to wield any particular object, or they may not be able to wield it at all. Please look at the Race table for a summary. Unless you are fighting unarmed, you should try to use all your hands in combat. Once again, if you have any questions about the abilities a weapon or piece of armor, please feel free to ask, but check the wiki first.

Bows come with 35 free arrows and Crossbows with 35 free bolts and are the same material as the ranged weapon.

Spoiler
    Show

ARMOR

Generally, you can only wear one of any type of armor. Think in terms of body parts, and test your combination out in dwarf fortress to see if it works. If you (or I) notice a problem after the current round is underway, it can't be fixed until the current round is over. For example, you can't wear both leggings and greaves or low boots and high boots at the same time. There are two exceptions though: you may wear a leather cap under a helm, and you may wear a (non-leather) mail shirt under a breast plate. Gloves, Gauntlets and boots come in sets of two. Also note that shields take up a hand-slot, and aren't worn as such. Shields may also be used as weapons and are dependent on the Misc. object skill.

Spoiler
    Show

Google Document
    All the rules and spreadsheets are available as a Google document. Check it out here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CKC3xsAO If you find any errors please tell me.

Conclusion
    That *should* cover everything. A summary and overview are covered in the next post. In the future, there will be an additional History section where past tournaments will be recorded, and perhaps a gladiator history as well space permitting. What follows is a history of the rule changes. Right now, it only shows the modifications I made to the SA rules.

Rule Changes

From SA 2nd edition
    -Divided all the point values by 5. I think its easier, and also gives our version a different look.
    -Reduced Dodging penalty and bonuses to huge and tiny creatures respectively from 25% to 20%. I did this to remove the fraction that popped when I divided everything by 5, but also because tiny creatures get waay more points than huge ones.
    -Your leftover points are now doubled for the next round! Two reasons: 1. It gives you another choice. You may endanger your gladiator in the current round in hopes of being stronger in the next. 2. Left over points often are of the fractional form. Doubling them may make them whole for the next round.

------

Prize

The winning gladiator/s gets enshrined forever with a portrait and a little pixel-art trophy the manager of said gladiator can wear in his signature.
    Last edited by Sarco_Phage; 2011-08-23 at 08:38 PM. Reason: changing title, whcih refused to change
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Settings

Settings
    Format: Tag Elimination
    Open - Skills, Equipment Choices are public knowledge
    Initial Seeding: Random
    Initial Teammate will not be known until after your skills and equipments are set. Ditto for your initial opponents.
    Number of Participants: 32
    Version: 0.31.25

Bracket
    {table=head]Teams | Elimination Round | Quarter-Finals | Semi-Finals | Finals
    _|_|_|_|_
    _|_|_|_|_
    _|_|_|_|_
    _|_|_|_|_
    _|_|_|_|_
    _|_|_|_|_
    _|_|_|_|_
    _|_|_|_|_
    _|_|_|_|_
    _|_|_|_|_
    _|_|_|_|_
    _|_|_|_|_
    _|_|_|_|_
    _|_|_|_|_
    _|_|_|_|_
    _|_|_|_|_
    [/table]

Exhibitions
    Match 1: Five on Three Duel
    Match 2: The Gauntlet Part 1
    Last edited by Sarco_Phage; 2011-04-16 at 03:32 AM.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Weapons and Armor Analysis/Roster

{table=head]Manager|Name|Race|Equipment|Skills|Points
    Sir|Sir|Kobold|Plt.Hmmr, Stl.Hlm|Ddg 5 Hmmr 4|18
    Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll|Antennae|Antman|2x Irn.Dggr, 2x Irn.Shld, Stl.Hlm|Ddg 2, Knf 2, Ft 2 Shld 3|0
    Necroticplague|Typhon|Snakeman|N/A|Btr 10, Ddg 3|0
    Celesyne|Celes McFragile|Gremlin|Admnt.Scrg, Lthr.Brstplt, Lthr.Glvs|Lshr 5, Ddg 4|3
    Level8MudCrab|Shrigijeelgis|Kobold|Stl.Shrt Swrd, Cpr.Hlm.Bcklr.Ml, Slvr.Lgg|Ddg 4, Shld 2, Swrd 4|1.5
    Drager0|Zip-Zip McGee|Gremlin|Stl.Shrt Swrd, Brnz.Brstplt.Hlm|Ddg 9, Swrd 3|0
    Batyzero|MintChocolate|Gremlin|Sld.Whp|Ddg 5|
    Stu42|Silverfang|Werewolf|Slvr.Ml.Lgg.Cp.Bcklr.Bts |Btr 4, Ftr 4, Ddg 3, Armr 2|34
    Atelm|Demitel|Elf|Slvr.Brstplt.Lgg.Hlm.Shld, Lthr.Gnt.Bts, Cpr.Lng Swrd|Swrd 4, Shld 3, Armr 2, Ddg 1|0
    RndmNumGen|Tenderizer|Yeti|Irn.Hlm.Ml Lthr.Lgg|Wrstl 2, Armr 3|0
    Pokon1|Manbreaker|Minotaur|Irn.Grvs.Bts|Ddg 3, Wrstl 4, Ft 1|5
    Banthesun|Nagash|Dwarf|Stl.Crsbw|Mrksdwrf 6, Archr 4|1
    kpenguin|Garth Maul|Human|Irn.Hlm.Brstplt.Grvs.Gnt.Bts., Slvr.Maul|Hmmr 4|12
    El Pablo|Ankylondius|Human|Cpr.Fl, Brnz.Shld, Lthr.Cp.Gnt.Bts, Oak.Hlm.Ml.Grvs|Ftr 3, Mc 6, Shld 4, Ddg 5, Armr 2, Msc 3|1
    iyaerP|Markand|Dwarf|Slvr.Hmmr, Oak.Shld|Hmmr 6, Shld 4|2
    Psionic Dog|Arf|Dark Gnome|Lthr.Hlm.Plt.Lgg.Bts, Oak.Bcklr, Stl.Dggr|Ddg 5, Knf 5, Shld 3, Ftr 3, Armr 2, Wrstl 2, Msc 2|7.5
    Nanoblack|Darguun|Goblin|Brnz.Spr, Oak.Shld|Spr 4, Ftr 4, Shld 4|35
    Factotum|Dorig|Troll|N/A|Wrstl 6, Ddg 3|0
    MonarchAnarch|Kick'em Yarbles|Dwarf|Stl.Spr, Brnz.Brstplt.Hlm, Lthr.Gaunt|Spr 4, Ftr 4, Armr 4|2
    Jjeinn-tae|Krixxn the Destroyer|Kobold|Slvr.Bw, Slvr.Hlm.Brstplt.Lgg.HBts|Ddg 4, Ftr 2, Btr 2, Strk 2, Bwmn 4, Archr 4, Wrstl 3|11
    The Fiery Tower|Solus|Elf|Brnz.Bw, Irn.Brstplt.Lgg, Lthr.LBts|Archr 7, Armr 4|0
    Bothi73|Bothi|Werewolf|Stl.Spr, Oak.Shld.Brstplt, Slvr.HBts|Spr 3, Btr 1, Ftr 1, Armr 1|1
    Pefkalos|Relliana|Soldier Ant Woman|Cpr.Bw, Cpr.Bw, Slrv.Hlm.Gnt.Brstplt.HBts, Lthr.Cp|Archr 7, Btr 2, Ddg 3, Armr 3|0
    Scaliburn|Silverfox|Human|Brnz.Lngswrd, Cpr.Ml.Bcklr, Lthr.Cp.Gnt.Lbts|Dgd 3, Swrd 3, Shld 3, Armr 4|
    McDougal|Steel Glass|Soldier Antwoman|Stl.Spr, Slvr.Bcklr.Bcklr.Bcklr|Shld 5, Spr 3|
    Kaine|Venom|Serpent Man|Stl.Whp, Lthr.Hlm, Oak.Gnt|Btr 6, Ddg 5, Lshr 3|
    LdudeL|Gizmo|Gremlin|Lthr.Cp|Wrstl 12, Ddg 4, Ftr 1|0
    Thrawn HCN|Gos'Muspla|Kobold|Stl.Spr|Spr 5, Ddg 5, Ftr 5|45
    kknox|Kendra|Minotaur|N/A|Wrstl 7, Ddg 2, Ftr 2|1
    Clarkson|Toto|Gremlin|Admnt.Whp|Ddg 8, Lsh 4|22
    Robz defheadz|Sir Elwine the Bling King|Human|Irn.Lngswrd, Cpr.Ml, Slvr.Grvs|Ftr 5, Armr 5, Swrd 5|
    [/table]
    Last edited by Sarco_Phage; 2011-08-31 at 07:17 PM.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The GitP Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Challenge! [0/32 Gladiators]

Man, you put some thought into this! Nicely organized, in my opinion at least . Hopefully the awesomeness is enough to get people past the long rules.

I was never the best at DF, but I hope my knowledge is enough to get by... Pardon me if there was application format, I didn't see one so I just made a little one .

Race:
    Kobold (290)
    Skills:
    Proficient Dodger (60)
    Skilled Hammerer (60)
    Equipment:
    1 Platinum War hammer (104)
    1 Steel Helm (48)

18 points left.

Also, at the expense of sounding stupid, what exactly is a round robin? Never heard of it before...
    Edit: Shouldn't this be in the Recruitment forum?
    Last edited by Sir; 2011-04-10 at 02:21 PM.
    The Coolest Villan Ever!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    "By jove, I quite believe this example of a pious warrior-priest will soon face the velocity of my greatclub in short order."

5. - Top - End - #5

Default Re: The GitP Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Challenge! [0/32 Gladiators]

Actually, the rules were designed by Vox Nihili on SomethingAwful, he put a LOT of work into this. I ran the second tournament on Bay12, but I'd like to try it out on the GitP forums for the sake of it.

A Round Robin tournament is a format where each competitor faces every other competitor once.

For example, you have 6 competitors, A, B, C, D, E, and F.

Your tourney will look like this.
    {table]X|A|B|C|D|E|F
    A|\|_|_|_|_|_
    B|_|\|_|_|_|_
    C|_|_|\|_|_|_
    D|_|_|_|\|_|_
    E|_|_|_|_|\|_
    F|_|_|_|_|_|\
    [/table]

The competitor with the most victories wins the round-robin.

Also, nice, Kobold dodger with a big weapon. Kobold dodgers dominated two of the Bay12 runs of the tournament if I recall correctly, and did well in the SA ones. They have more weight to em than Gremlins and can hit with more force, but are still small and quick enough to dodge well.

EDIT: I'll make a post in the recruitment thing, but since it's technically not an RPG I'm just calling it a Let's Play for simplicity.
    Last edited by Sarco_Phage; 2011-04-10 at 02:32 PM.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The GitP Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Challenge! [01/32 Gladiators]

I'm gonna try something... interesting. Watch me die first round. But! It'll be amusing.

Antennae

Race:
    Soldier Ant Man (250)
    Weapons:
    2 iron long daggers (64)
    2 copper bucklers (75)
    Steel helm (48)
    Skills:
    Competent Shield (24)
    Adequate Dodge (15)
    Adequate Knife (15)
    Adequate Fighting (9)
    Total (250)
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

7. - Top - End - #7

Default Re: The GitP Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Challenge! [01/32 Gladiators]

Just as a warning, having two daggers won't actually give him double the attacks. However it WILL help if the arm holding one dagger is shattered or cut off.

I don't remember if holding two weapons tests parry chance twice...
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The GitP Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Challenge! [02/32 Gladiators]

Aw, heck, I'll play.
    Typhon

Race:
    Serpent Man
    Skills:
    Accomplished biter
    Competent dodger

Yeah, I'm probably going to get torn in half quickly, but this is Fun.
    Last edited by Necroticplague; 2011-04-10 at 05:43 PM. Reason: My gladiator needed a name

9. - Top - End - #9

Default Re: The GitP Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Challenge! [02/32 Gladiators]

It's a tag tournament, so if you get an iron wall teammate who is fast enough to tie the opponents down, or a dancer with a spear or dagger, for example, you may well be able to land those bites quite a lot.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The GitP Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Challenge! [03/32 Gladiators]

Yes, but lacking limbs is probably a bigger problem. Given the random attacking that the AI does, having less reduntant limbs=more chance of something vital getting hit. Same reason killing monstrous spiders is painful. Your more likely to hit their legs than anything remotely important.

11. - Top - End - #11

Well, you can target specific things in adventure mode now, and as far as I recall Toady fixed it so that the AI goes directly for the easiest location to hit, just like a player would.

So combat is a bit more controlled.

(For example, if you're downed and unconscious, the AI usually goes directly for the head. Usually).

You could probably rectify that by buying armor to protect your organs, I suppose.

EDIT: Oh, and if you guys want to invite your forum buddies to join in on the massacre, come on in. I'll actually allow people to partner up this time around.

(Surprisingly, a team of 2 yetis/minotaurs is not as effective as it might appear.)
    Last edited by Sarco_Phage; 2011-04-10 at 05:45 PM.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sarco_Phage View Post
    Well, you can target specific things in adventure mode now, and as far as I recall Toady fixed it so that the AI goes directly for the easiest location to hit, just like a player would.

So combat is a bit more controlled.

(For example, if you're downed and unconscious, the AI usually goes directly for the head. Usually).

You could probably rectify that by buying armor to protect your organs, I suppose.

EDIT: Oh, and if you guys want to invite your forum buddies to join in on the massacre, come on in. I'll actually allow people to partner up this time around.

(Surprisingly, a team of 2 yetis/minotaurs is not as effective as it might appear.)
    Sorry, it's been a while since I played. Last time I played, the only way to target specific things was when you were wrestling. Not to suprised that that team doesn't work. Looks like they would step on each others toes a lot.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Here is my shot at it. My money is on mining everyone else to death!

Celes McUrist
    Dwarf 240

Gear
    Adamantine Pick -144
    Oak Buckler -22.5
    Oak Helm -9
    Oak Breast Plate -15
    Leather Gauntlets -4

Skills
    Proficient Misc. Object User -45

.5 points remaining
    Last edited by Celesyne; 2011-04-10 at 06:10 PM.
    Current Sexy Reya Dawnbringer avatar by Edwin, thanks for the awesomeness.

"Come with me, and we'll be...
    In a world of total annihilation." .....Itnetlolor of Bay12 forums

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Sorry, it's been a while since I played. Last time I played, the only way to target specific things was when you were wrestling. Not to suprised that that team doesn't work. Looks like they would step on each others toes a lot.
    It's not just that (Yetis and Minotaurs charge on many of their attacks, I've found, meaning that they do get all up in each others' business if partnered), it's also the fact that while they are massively strong they're also, well, massive.

I remember one fight in the one-on-one elimination tourney where, if I recall correctly, the Minotaur went up against a dodger kobold with an adamant dagger. If he hit even once, he would have won (the kobold lost the next round due to the whole tiny fragile dog-lizard thing) but that fight, he got turned into raw beef.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The GitP Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Challenge! [04/32 Gladiators]

This sounds like fun, count me in.

Shrigijeelgis, Swordbold

Race
    Kobold (290)

Gear
    Steel short sword (80)
    Copper buckler (37.5)
    Copper helm (15)
    Copper mail shirt (30)
    Silver leggings (14)
    Total gear cost - 176.5 Points

Skills
    Skilled Dodger - Tiny (40)
    Skilled Swordbold (60)
    Adequate Shield User (12)
    Total skills cost - 112 Points

1.5 points remaining
    Thanks to Skeppio for my avatar.

16. - Top - End - #16

Default Exhibition Match 1: Sir, Shrigijeelgis, Antennae, Typhon, and Celes McUrist

Exhibition Match 1

It's a beautiful day in the Playground, ladies, gentlemen, and dwarves, and what a show we've got for you today! Signups and preparations for the Giant in the Playground Tag Team Tournament have just gotten started, and already we've got five fine contestants!

We'll be pitting them in a match today against three Doppelsoldners. Now, as you may or may not know, the Doppelsoldner was a German mercenary soldier typically equipped with light protection and a great two-handed sword.

This is a five-on-three match, but can our brave gladiators avoid their swords and win the day?

All gladiators are ready to begin!

The match has begun, and we're seeing our fighters pair off. The first doppelsoldner has picked out Sir's gladiator, a nameless hammerwielding kobold. The second has engaged with Antennae the Soldier Ant Man, while the third has her hands full with the towering Typhon the serpent man, with Celes McUrist and Shrigijeelgis moving around to flank her and back him up!

There goes the first exchange! Soldner 1 starts the match off with a vicious charge at Sir, who jumps away and lands a glancing blow to his arm with that massive platinum hammer of his. Meanwhile, it looks like Antennae and Soldner 3 have started trading blows, opposite their initial opponents.

Soldner 1 makes another ineffectual charge at Sir, missing entirely and rushing a few feet past the tiny kobold. The opening he leaves allows Soldner 2, thus far inactive and seeking an opening, to rush into the melee and attack Shrigijeelgis, but to no avail. His swing overbalances him, and just as the kobold misses his own swing Typhon seizes his moment and sinks his fangs into Soldner 2's tricep, sinking his fangs in deep and holding on! Soldner 2 seizes up, loses his grip on his weapon, and falls over. Without missing a beat, Shrigijeelgis brings his short sword up and over in a two-handed swing, severing Soldner 2's head instantly!

Sir meanwhile seizes the opportunity left by Typhon's sudden strike to hit Soldner 3 with his hammer, but his blow only leaves a bruise on her thigh. She counters with a rushing advance, knocking him to the ground at her feet. With a loud cry she plunges her sword into his ankle, severing his foot.

Yanking her sword out of the ground, she brings the blade around in a mighty swing to strike at Antennae, who had moved up in an attempt to rescue his temporary partner. The Antman catches the first strike easily on his shield, but the doppelsoldner twists her sword around, striking one of Antennae's shield hands with the flat of the blade and causing him to lose the buckler!

Soldner 1 has meanwhile moved in on Sir, who for obvious reasons cannot get up off the ground. He brings his sword around, severely damaging Sir's right arm and embedding the blade in his arm up to the bone. Sir bravely manages a counterstrike but misses entirely.

Antennae gets to his feet in order to make a second attempt at Soldner 3, but as soon as he rears his head, Soldner 3 strikes his arm off in a single slash, causing him to drop one of his daggers! She follows up by directing two rapid thrusts at the Antman, severing his upper left arm and his right foot in quick succession, stunning the Antman with the pain.

Soldner 1 wrenches his sword out of Sir's arm and strikes at Celes McUrist, who has finally maneuvered into an advantageous position. His overbalanced swing misses its mark, allowing Celes to bring his pickaxe down on the man, but the doppelsoldner quickly parries the strike and presses the advantage.

Sensing a quick victory, Soldner 3 brings her sword around to finish off Antennae... only to be interrupted by the massive serpent man Typhon, who had been biding his time until this moment! He strikes with his fangs, sinking a lethal toxic bite into Soldner 3's exposed hand and grabbing firmly! Almost immediately the neurotoxin takes effect, letting Typhon shake her around at will.

Attempting a rescue, Soldner 1 rushes Typhon and jams his blade into his shoulder, knocking the serpent man over, but it is too late, as Celes picks up the pace and sinks his pick into Soldner 3's skull, killing her instantly.

His sword momentarily trapped, Soldner 1 lands a vicious kick to the downed Typhon's gut, allowing him to rip his blade out and sever the serpent man's hand with a well-timed thrust. Desperate, the doppelsoldner begins fighting with all means available to him.

Quickly, Shrigijeelgis moves up behind Soldner 1 and lands a good hit on his arm, just as the man severs Typhon's arm with one good slash! However Antennae has moved in as well, driving the human away from the serpent man, allowing the now one-armed Typhon to get to his feet.

Soldner 1 is surrounded now, all remaining gladiators attacking him with impunity, except Sir who is quietly bleeding to death in the corner.

Again and again the man dodges away, facing a veritable forest of strikes. Finally, with viper-quickness Typhon lands a bite to the man's hand. With a horrified scream, Soldner 1 forces Typhon away, wrenching the fang out of his hand and promptly flopping over, paralyzed.

Shrigijeelgis seizes the opportunity again and stabs the man in the forehead with his sword, crushing his skull in and shredding his brain. Victory goes to the gladiators this day!

Exhibition Match 1 Summary
    Casualties:
    Sir

Kills:
    Shrigijeelgis - 2
    Celes McUrist - 1

Assists:
    Typhon - 3

Most limbs Lost:
    Antennae - 4

Combat Log
    Spoiler
    Show
    Human 1 charges at Sir!
    Human 1 attacks Sir but He jumps away!
    Antennae misses Human 3!
    Human 3 counterstrikes!
    Human 3 strikes at Antennae but the shot is blocked!
    Human 1 charges at Sir!
    Human 1 attacks Sir but He jumps away!
    Sir counterstrikes!
    Sir bashes Human 1 in the right upper arm from behind with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle!
    Human 1 rushes by Sir!
    Human 2 misses Shrigijeelgis!
    Shrigijeelgis counterstrikes!
    Shrigijeelgis misses Human 2!
    Typhon bites Human 2 in the right upper arm from behind, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle!
    Serpent man venom is injected into the Human 2's blood!
    Typhon latches on firmly!
    Sir bashes Human 3 in the right upper leg with his platinum war hammer, bruising the fat through the iron chain leggings!
    Celes McUrist misses Human 2!
    The Human 2 loses hold of the iron two-handed sword.
    The Human 2 falls over.
    The Human 2 is completely paralyzed!
    Shrigijeelgis slashes Human 2 in the head with his steel short sword and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    Human 2 has been struck down.
    Human 3 charges at Sir!
    Human 3 misses Sir!
    Human 3 collides with Sir!
    Sir is knocked over and tumbles backward!
    Human 3 stabs Sir in the left foot with her iron two-handed sword and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    Human 3 strikes at Antennae but the shot is blocked!
    Human 3 slaps Antennae in the first left hand with the flat of her iron two-handed sword, tearing apart the fat and bruising the muscle!
    Antennae loses hold of the copper buckler.
    Human 1 slashes Sir in the right lower arm with his iron two-handed sword, tearing apart the muscle!
    Many nerves have been severed!
    The iron two-handed sword has lodged firmly in the wound!
    Sir misses Human 1!
    Antennae stands up.
    Human 3 slashes Antennae in the second right upper arm with her iron two-handed sword and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    Antennae loses hold of the large iron dagger.
    Human 1 misses Celes McUrist!
    Celes McUrist counterstrikes!
    Celes McUrist strikes at Human 1 but the shot is parried!
    Human 3 charges at Antennae!
    Human 3 stabs Antennae in the first left upper arm with her iron two-handed sword and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    Human 3 collides with Antennae!
    Antennae is knocked over!
    Human 3 stabs Antennae in the right foot with her iron two-handed sword and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    Typhon bites Human 3 in the right hand, tearing the fat!
    Serpent man venom is injected into the Human 3's blood!
    Human 1 stabs Celes McUrist in the right upper leg with his iron two-handed sword, fracturing the bone!
    Many nerves have been severed and a tendon has been torn!
    The Human 3 loses hold of the iron two-handed sword.
    The Human 3 falls over.
    The Human 3 is completely paralyzed!
    Typhon shakes Human 3 around by the right hand, tearing apart the right hand's muscle and bruising the bone!
    An artery in the right hand has been opened by the attack, many nerves have been severed, a ligament has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
    The Antennae is no longer stunned.
    Typhon shakes Human 3 around by the right hand, tearing apart the right hand's muscle and bruising the bone!
    An artery in the right hand has been opened by the attack, many nerves have been severed, a ligament has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
    Human 1 charges at Typhon!
    Human 1 slashes Typhon in the left lower arm with his iron two-handed sword, tearing apart the muscle!
    An artery has been opened by the attack!
    Human 1 collides with Typhon!
    Typhon is knocked over and tumbles backward!
    Celes McUrist strikes Human 3 in the head with his adamantine pick, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull and tearing apart the brain!
    A tendon in the skull has been torn!
    Human 3 has been knocked unconscious!
    The adamantine pick has lodged firmly in the wound!
    Human 3 has been struck down.
    Human 1 kicks Typhon in the lower body with his left foot, bruising the muscle and bruising the stomach!
    Human 1 stabs Typhon in the right hand with his iron two-handed sword and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    The Typhon is no longer stunned.
    Human 1 scratches Typhon in the lower body, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle and bruising the pancreas!
    Shrigijeelgis slashes Human 1 in the right lower arm from behind with his steel short sword, tearing apart the muscle!
    An artery has been opened by the attack and many nerves have been severed!
    Human 1 stabs Typhon in the right upper arm with his iron two-handed sword and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    The Typhon stands up.
    Antennae attacks Human 1 but He jumps away!
    Human 1 attacks Typhon but He jumps away!
    Shrigijeelgis attacks Human 1 but He jumps away!
    Typhon misses Human 1!
    Typhon bites Human 1 in the fourth toe, right foot, but the attack is deflected by Human 1's iron chain leggings!
    Celes McUrist attacks Human 1 but He jumps away!
    Human 1 charges at Typhon!
    Human 1 misses Typhon!
    Human 1 collides with Typhon!
    Typhon is knocked over and tumbles backward!
    Antennae strikes at Human 1 but the shot is parried!
    The Typhon is no longer stunned.
    Human 1 slashes Sir in the left lower leg with his iron two-handed sword, tearing apart the muscle!
    A motor nerve has been severed!
    The Typhon stands up.
    Shrigijeelgis misses Human 1!
    Human 1 twists the embedded iron two-handed sword around in Sir's left lower leg!
    Sir misses Human 1!
    Sir has bled to death.
    Human 1 strikes at Antennae but the shot is blocked!
    Antennae counterstrikes!
    Antennae misses Human 1!
    Shrigijeelgis attacks Human 1 but He rolls away!
    Typhon bites Human 1 in the left upper leg, but the attack is deflected by Human 1's iron chain leggings!
    Antennae strikes at Human 1 but the shot is parried!
    Human 1 counterstrikes!
    Human 1 scratches Antennae in the abdomen, chipping the chitin and bruising the muscle and bruising the guts!
    A tendon has been torn!
    Shrigijeelgis punches Human 1 in the head with his right hand, bruising the muscle!
    Typhon bites Human 1 in the right upper leg, but the attack is deflected by Human 1's iron chain leggings!
    Shrigijeelgis attacks Human 1 but He rolls away!
    The Human 1 stands up.
    Typhon bites Human 1 in the upper body, but the attack is deflected by Human 1's iron breastplate!
    Typhon bites Human 1 in the left hand, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle!
    Serpent man venom is injected into the Human 1's blood!
    The Human 1 breaks the grip of The Typhon's tooth from The Human 1's left hand!
    The Human 1 loses hold of the iron two-handed sword.
    The Human 1 is completely paralyzed!
    Shrigijeelgis stabs Human 1 in the head with his steel short sword, tearing the muscle, shattering the skull and tearing apart the brain!
    An artery has been opened by the attack!
    A tendon in the skull has been torn!
    Human 1 has been knocked unconscious!
    The steel short sword has lodged firmly in the wound!
    Human 1 has been struck down.

Eternal Fighter Advocate

17. - Top - End - #17

Default Re: The GitP Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Challenge! [05/32 Gladiators]

Wow, I didn't die. I was expecting to die in a bloody and horrible manner.

And of course I had most limbs lost. I have the most limbs period!

That was fun!

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

18. - Top - End - #18

Yeah, it's traditional to hold a number of exhibition matches while waiting for signups.

This might take a while to fill up to 32, though... might need to start aggressively recruiting, haha.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

19. - Top - End - #19

Did I get any strikes in after my one arm was cut off, and I dropped the dagger? Cause if I did, it would totally make the second dagger worth it.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

20. - Top - End - #20

Well, the Pain caused your antman to move way too slow. He was getting some attacks in with the other dagger, but most of them missed or were parried.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, that paralyzing venom turned to be more useful than I thought. I thought venom only applied to the body part affected, (so all those hand bites would only lose function of the hand)not their entire body. I feel a bit better about my chances of winning.

22. - Top - End - #22

Yeah, it actually left a pretty big impression on all three enemy combatants. The thing is, I specifically set those opponents up as Proficient Fighters and Master Swordsmen. Each one was actually kicking quite a lot of ass until Typhon landed his bite attacks to the unarmored arms, leading them to flop over like fish.

The new combat system is awesome.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

23. - Top - End - #23

This looks fun, I'll bite
    Code:
    Race- Gremlin                       +360

Skills- Profesional Dodging         -180
            Sword Competent             -36

Equipment- Steel short sword        -80
               Bronze Breastplate       -40
               Bronze Helm              -24
    Total:                               0
    Name: Zip-zip Mcgee
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Have you seen what Bulbasaur is packing?

Long range razor sharp projectiles.
    Seeds with the speed and power of smg rounds.
    Midrange explosives.
    Death rays powered by the sun itself!
    Steam name: Dragero Add me! (Just click this link)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: The GitP Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Challenge! [06/32 Gladiators]

I lurked on of the Bay12 ones but never joined, i'm stoked for this!

Tell me if I did any of the math wrong, I was pretty tired when doing this.

Name:MintChocolate

Race:Gremlin=360

Weapon: Slade Whip=360-300=60

Skills: Proficient Dodger=60-60=0

Total Points Remaining:0

I expect to die horribly. xD
    Last edited by Batyzero; 2011-04-11 at 05:10 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Default Re: The GitP Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Challenge! [06/32 Gladiators]

Your weapon is a literal razor edge. If you hit once you're likely to sever a tendon and break some bones, so you should be fine, depending on your partner.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: The GitP Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Challenge! [07/32 Gladiators]

Question about Cele's gladiator here.
    Isn't Damage with a Pick determined by Mining and not Miscellaneous Object User?
    I'm 'prolly wrong though, just curious.

27. - Top - End - #27

Ever since DF2010 came out, Pick damage has been determined by the strength of the wielder, much like every other melee weapon.

Skill is determined by misc. object.

The pickgod masters of 40d no longer exist, but the penetration of the pick is still incredible.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Ah, ok.
    I'm still pretty new to DF, thanks for clarifying.

29. - Top - End - #29

Well, you made a decent weapon choice.

See, Slade is the heaviest material in the game, bar none, making it the most suited for almost any weapon, although it can't really hold an edge so well.

However, the whip technically doesn't have an edge, despite the fact that its contact area values are very low. So you're hitting with the force of a hammer with a tiny contact area. Your whip is made of lasers.
    Last edited by Sarco_Phage; 2011-04-11 at 05:55 PM.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Good to know, thanks a bunch!
    One last thing, this isn't really a big deal but I notice the roster near the topic doesn't include my Gladiator(MintChocolate)'s name.
    If you wouldn't mind fixing that, it'd be great.

:Edit: Nvm looks like you fixed it already, sorry. xD
    Last edited by Batyzero; 2011-04-11 at 05:34 PM.