New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default How do you justify Rangers having spells?

I love the concept of the ranger, as hard as that may be to pin down. I see it as a skill/survivalism oriented warrior with a wilderness inclination.

But the spells seem kind of shoehorned in and it really breaks any possible immersion with the class. It makes it feel like a video game character.

Like... You have this guy who takes to the woods and becomes such a good outdoorsman that he can turn his hands into claws, transform into a tree, or make animals double in size. Where the hell does that come from? It could make sense if it were like an Elf or something, but "ranger" just seems like such a simple, common concept, and you have this bizarre magical ability just thrown in there with no sense to it. There's no cohesion here whatsoever and it leaves the class with no appeal except to supplement a complex build.

It would have been cool if the spell list was just emulating things that you could actually reflavor into things you could envision a ranger doing... Goodberry could be him gathering some nearby fruit with restorative properties. Charm animal could be considered just an uncanny way with animals. Delay poison could be him improvising an antidote with nearby plants or using anatomical knowledge to do something with their body that prevents the spread of the poison or something. Maybe even speak with plants could be flavored as him inferring information from looking at the plants. But then there's entangle, wind wall, and aspect of the earth hunter... I just don't get it.

How do you guys justify the casting?
    #MundaneLivesMatter

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: How do you justify Rangers having spells?

Think of them as tricks then. Most could be explained away by terrain mastery

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

PHB's take:

Characteristics: A ranger can use a variety of weapons and is quite capable in combat. His skills allow him to survive in the wilderness, to find his prey, and to avoid detection. He also has special knowledge about certain types of creatures, which makes it easier for him to find and defeat such foes. Finally, an experienced ranger has such a tie to nature that he can actually draw upon natural power to cast divine spells, much as a druid does.
    Religion: Though a ranger gains his divine spells from the power of nature, he like anyone else may worship a chosen deity. Ehlonna (goddess of the woodlands) and Obad-Hai (god of nature) are the most common deities revered by, though some prefer more martial deities.
    It comes from a close tie to nature. The only class that can match them in that respect (at least in core) also gets spells from nature, so it seems at least consistent.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

What are you even talking about, dude?

Rangers have always had spells. It's a core part of the concept, and they get them for the same reason that a druid does... because in D&D, having a strong affinity with nature is itself a path to magical power and that's just how it works.

Think of the ranger being to the druid as the paladin is to the cleric, a champion of his beliefs who trades some potential for magic in exchange for greater combat ability and certain other skills. The ranger and paladin even have the same spellcasting schedule, so the comparison is a pretty obvious one IMO.

You're getting the concept of the ranger confused with the idea of a hunter or simple woodsman. The ranger certainly can be those things, but they are also more (just like the paladin is more than a simple knight or soldier, just like the bard is more than a simple musician, just like the monk is more than a simple martial artist and the barbarian is more than a simple tribal warrior). D&D is a game where the world is full of magic and amazing things, and many character concepts which might have totally mundane real world counterparts are inherently charged with magic in that fantastic realm. And if it feels like a video game to you, that's only because video games have copied a great many concepts from Dungeons & Dragons over the years.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    PHB's take:

It comes from a close tie to nature. The only class that can match them in that respect (at least in core) also gets spells from nature, so it seems at least consistent.
    Rangers are just Druids who flunked out of Druid Community College before getting their degree.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowglass View Post
    Rangers are just Druids who flunked out of Druid Community College before getting their degree.
    Rangers are just Aragorns who took a minor in Druidic magic because there was that one chapter in Return of the King where Aragorn healed some people. #TrueStory

EDIT: Wait, they flunked out but still got their degree? I've been going to the wrong community colleges!

EDIT 2: I might have read that wrong................
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2016-06-27 at 02:48 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Pretty much this. Even if the Ranger has a harder time turning into a dragon then a druid, doesn't mean they're 'just' a woodsman or outdoorsman. Those are Expert/Warriors who are lucky enough to have a whole two class levels! It's the difference between a Warrior and a Fighter and a Barbarian. DnD is usually built on the idea of Big Damn Heroes. The Ranger is a guy so in tune with nature it starts to empower him with magical abilities.

Or you could use the Spell-Less ranger from Complete Warrior. I don't remember it being very good, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Or you could use the Spell-Less ranger from Complete Warrior. I don't remember it being very good, however.
    I think it just gives a couple bonus feats here and there. Totally not worth it unless you don't plan on taking a lot more Ranger levels.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I think it just gives a couple bonus feats here and there. Totally not worth it unless you don't plan on taking a lot more Ranger levels.
    That's the Complete Champion one.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't the CWar spelless ranger the crap one that just gets fast movement+SLAs of spells you could simply cast as a ranger?

EDIT: Yep, checked. Fast movement at 6, equivalent of Owl's Wisdom, Bear's Endurance, or Cat's grace 1/day at 11, 1/day neturalize poison or remove disease at 13, freedom of movement 1/day at 16. So pretty much strictly worse than having a ranger with spells.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Yes, I'm aware of the text. But it's not

Rangers have always had spells. It's a core part of the concept, and they get them for the same reason that a druid does... because in D&D, having a strong affinity with nature is itself a path to magical power and that's just how it works.
    In DnD, yes. That doesn't mean it makes sense. It's easy to wave a hand and say "affinity with nature=magical power, that's just how it works" but that doesn't actually explain at all how it works. I can get behind the idea that nature can give you a slight magical edge, but shapechanging into a tree or a bulette is taking it to a level of unjustifiable absurdity.

Think of the ranger being to the druid as the paladin is to the cleric, a champion of his beliefs who trades some potential for magic in exchange for greater combat ability and certain other skills. The ranger and paladin even have the same spellcasting schedule, so the comparison is a pretty obvious one IMO.
    It is an obvious one, and likely an intentional one, and it is one that I considered. But the nature of their spells is quite different, and so too is the nature of the class concept. Everything a Paladin can do is sort of in line with the theme. It is not so with Rangers.

You're getting the concept of the ranger confused with the idea of a hunter or simple woodsman. The ranger certainly can be those things, but they are also more (just like the paladin is more than a simple knight or soldier, just like the bard is more than a simple musician, just like the monk is more than a simple martial artist and the barbarian is more than a simple tribal warrior). D&D is a game where the world is full of magic and amazing things, and many character concepts which might have totally mundane real world counterparts are inherently charged with magic in that fantastic realm. And if it feels like a video game to you, that's only because video games have copied a great many concepts from Dungeons & Dragons over the years.
    The problem is that the Ranger is the one that makes less sense than the rest.
    #MundaneLivesMatter

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

How do you justify anyone having spells?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

All that it comes down to is that your idea of the ranger is not compatible with the concept of the ranger in D&D. Neither is wrong, but the ranger in D&D is the way that it is because in D&D the ranger is a naruralist who has such a close affinity with nature they can cast spells. You do not need to agree with that for your concept of a ranger, but that is a ranger in D&D.

As far as building what you see as the ideal ranger, have you considered playing a barbarian or varient rogue? What about a Fighter with ranks in Knowledge Nature and Survival?
    Last edited by SethoMarkus; 2016-06-27 at 03:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why would elves be better at detecting things? We all know that cats use their whiskers as part of their senses. Now compare elves and dwarves. Elves cannot grow facial hair. Dwarves have luxurious beards. Of course dwarves should be better at detecting stuff.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

So a ranger is like a Bachelor of Applied Druidology.

I want that title. I want it BAD.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2016-06-27 at 03:45 PM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post

I want that title. I want it BAD.
    More like Associate of Applied Druidology.

or, you know, whatever "degree" they give people for attending a handful of seminars and then opening up a small business in herbcraft out of their garage.

The chiropractors of nature.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    You owe me a new coffee and phone screen cover. Permission to sig?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    You owe me a new coffee and phone screen cover. Permission to sig?
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Spamalot in the Playground

For a decent spell-less ranger I recommend the Skirmisher from PF. They replace their spells with a list of interesting Ex abilities that give them decent utility - for example, Skill Sage, Surprise Shift, Defensive Bow Stance, Uncanny Senses and Sic' Em.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

If you're thinking of just some outdoorsy dude, that hunts and ambushes and whatnot, you're looking for wilderness rogue or scout.

Fresh and exciting doesn't exist in a game that's almost old enough to drive. Which is why it's extra fun every time someone comes in to say that no, fighters are totally a real character class, because you all missed that one thing or that other one thing and once I saw a fighter beat up a squirrel.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    If you're thinking of just some outdoorsy dude, that hunts and ambushes and whatnot, you're looking for wilderness rogue or scout.
    Oh dear, this is going to turn into a rehash of the "words have power! if I want to be a monk I want to be a monk" thread from last week isn't it.

"But I want to be a ranger!"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

More like Associate of Applied Druidology.

or, you know, whatever "degree" they give people for attending a handful of seminars and then opening up a small business in herbcraft out of their garage.

The chiropractors of nature.
    Exactly. Druids go to the UCLA of nature. Rangers go to community college.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

It seems like people are more willing to accept fighting men that get divine miracles from Good (or Good gods) than fighting men that get divine miracles from nature.
    They both get companions, they both have weapon tricks (ranger styles, paladin smite), but the magic's too weird?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Rangers are a spellcasting class. They get spells. Why does it need any special justification? A lot of classes get spells. It's not weird.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

How do you justify fighters having no spells, when they are clearly so very useful?

Every class should have casting, at least on the level of paladins and rangers. That means: every Big Damn Hero past the 'common' levels (level 4+) knows some magic, whether by being in tune with nature (ranger), good (paladin), fighting (warblade, crusader, swordsage), thinking really hard (divine mind, lurk), training and study (maybe duskblade, but also assassin and such), or inherited power (the only arcane minimal caster I can think of is hexblade).

These minimal casters represent the least amount of magical knowledge you can pick up over an epic career across twenty levels. It's just so unlikely that you fight nightcrawlers and dread wraiths all over, and never think to yourself: "Well this death ward has saved my ass yet again, maybe I should learn to cast that thing sometime, this cleric may not always be there to do it for me!".

A high-level D&D character without magic is like a decorated commando without electronics. Yes, you're very deadly, but where is your night vision, your radio, your satnav? Life's just so much better if you don't ignore part of the world's physics.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't justify it because it had never been something that I had ever considered needs justification. It's like asking me to justify a why a fighter can use a sword.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Rangers are just Aragorns who took a minor in Druidic magic because there was that one chapter in Return of the King where Aragorn healed some people. #TrueStory
    D&D rangers don't really have anything in common with Aragorn other than "hey we're out in the woods."

Aragorn
    Two weapon fighting? Nope.
    Archery? Nothing special.
    Spells? Nope still.
    Animal Companion? Big bag of nope.

Aragorn isn't a d&d ranger.

Fresh and exciting doesn't exist in a game that's almost old enough to drive. Which is why it's extra fun every time someone comes in to say that no, fighters are totally a real character class, because you all missed that one thing or that other one thing and once I saw a fighter beat up a squirrel.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I've always flavored it as unique tricks that Rangers can do, which is the common method, but more and more I'm thinking of it as Rangers being friendly with vaguely defined "nature spirits' and essentially going "hey friendly invisible sylph thing, can I ask you for a favor?"
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    I've always flavored it as unique tricks that Rangers can do, which is the common method, but more and more I'm thinking of it as Rangers being friendly with vaguely defined "nature spirits' and essentially going "hey friendly invisible sylph thing, can I ask you for a favor?"
    That's a cool fluff. I like that.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

*shrug* Rangers in D&D have always had spellcasting. I've never worried about justifying because it doesn't seem to me to need justification, as it's never been weird to me. Also, they don't really feel like a video game thing to me either, because the spellcasting ranger was a thing right around the same time that Space Invaders was a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf
    D&D rangers don't really have anything in common with Aragorn other than "hey we're out in the woods."

Aragorn
    Two weapon fighting? Nope.
    Archery? Nothing special.
    Spells? Nope still.
    Animal Companion? Big bag of nope.

Aragorn isn't a d&d ranger.
    And yet, the D&D Ranger is explicitly based on Aragorn. Go figure.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I agree that it's awkward.

Especially since they don't even start with spells. They're just generic trackers (who sometimes fight with two swords for some reason?), then all of a sudden once they've killed their Xth Orc, they start plucking badgers out of thin air. It's something we usually just look past with Rangers and multiclassed casters, but it's still weird when it gets brought up head on, especially in a singleclassed core character.

It's least awkward when they're just casting subtle effects like Charm Animal or spells that improve their senses, but effects like catching their swords on fire or physically transforming into a wolf just kind of demand that you don't take the game world too seriously.
    Last edited by Pluto!; 2016-06-27 at 07:23 PM.