New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Fort Triumph - Fantasy XCOM meets OotS

This is of interest to me, so I just grabbed key 7KCF7-VGMQ5-HKZMN. I'll post feedback sometime later this week.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

I took WVV2Z-26F2D-52Q4Q. I want to play at least 20 hours before giving my opinions, so it may take several days.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

I just played a couple hours of the open world mode, and found it to be much easier and more fun than the prologue. (Which is a bit of a problem, the intro shouldn't be the part hard enough to scare players away) I also found the dialogue to be better done than the prologue's. It's left me looking forward to seeing more scenes with the undead army, (Other terms they should use for themselves: "Living-Impaired" "Differently Animated") and I was also impressed by the incidental things, like the well encounter (what, no Gazebo?) and the queen's pun jar.

I think in my first post, I forgot to say how much I like the idea that all terrain is targetable in this game, and an early enemy in this mode showed me just how important that is... and how good your AI appears to be. In the very first encounter I had today, a skeleton kicked one of my team into a lamppost, stunning her... and also knocking over the lamppost onto the party member using it as cover, stunning her too! That was honestly so impressive that I think a moment like that should be scripted in the tutorials, since I sure didn't realize the potential of using the environment until then. Sadly, my later attempt to pull a boss off a cliff missed...

Unfortunately, I also ran into an issue. After I finished the spider cave, the "Onward" button did nothing, and I was stuck there until alt+f4ing out of the game. Did I ironically hit a bug after defeating the Spider Queen?
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

4. - Top - End - #34

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    ..."Living-Impaired" "Differently Animated" ...
    Haha, those are awesome. Implementing them somewhere with your permission :)

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    Unfortunately, I also ran into an issue. After I finished the spider cave, the "Onward" button did nothing, and I was stuck there until alt+f4ing out of the game. Did I ironically hit a bug after defeating the Spider Queen?
    That's a standard, if ironic bug :P I'll look into it, do you happen to have not-run-the-game since then? If so there's a log file I'd really like to see at

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Cookie Byte Entertainment\Fort Triumph\output_log.txt

email it to [email protected]

Or use the debug console to send a report (tap an invisible button on the top-left 3 times, it'll bring up a bunch of options, one of them is to send a report)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

The house next door is being renovated or something, I can barely hear myself think, so no recording of the next episode today, hopefully tomorrow will turn out better.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

This sounds quite interesting, are there any more keys left?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by adamzeira View Post
    That's a standard, if ironic bug :P I'll look into it, do you happen to have not-run-the-game since then?

Or use the debug console to send a report (tap an invisible button on the top-left 3 times, it'll bring up a bunch of options, one of them is to send a report)
    Doh! Fired it up again to see where the last save before the freeze put me. Sounds like that would mean the log you need is overwritten.

Secret debug button, you say? I'll remember that bit.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

just a minor note, but I keep opening the menu when I try to cancel an ability

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Whelp... Episode Two of my Let's Play is up! Mission went more or less the way I wanted it to go.

As feedback for the devs, could you please indicate how an item is going to fall if it is being hit on a diagonal? This is the second time in as many missions that this has worked out in an unexpected way.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    This sounds quite interesting, are there any more keys left?
    Will release a few more in the next patch (Monday if there are no delays)

Can't keep doing that forever though. And it would be cool if the people who take it are ones who need it (If you're a kid, or a poor college student and $20 is out of your reach). So be nice to the community and purchase if you can afford it :) It's not very expensive and I guarantee it'll have good value

Quote Originally Posted by Mabn View Post
    just a minor note, but I keep opening the menu when I try to cancel an ability
    It seems when an ability is selected pressing Esc does de-select it. What's happening exactly?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by adamzeira View Post
    It seems when an ability is selected pressing Esc does de-select it. What's happening exactly?
    Well, when I run the game it's not perfectly responsive, probably thanks to my computer. So to do anything I hit the relevant key 3-4 times. In the case of canceling an ability, hitting escape once causes you to cancel, but hitting escape twice causes you to go to the menu. It is easy to then hit resume and keep playing, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Edit: so after I defeat the Lich, how do I go do something else? I pressed campaign again and it took me back to the Lich dungeon, so that one wasn't it I'm guessing.
    Also, how do I move potions from one character to another?
    Last edited by Mabn; 2018-05-03 at 01:40 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42

Flumph

Well, when I run the game it's not perfectly responsive, probably thanks to my computer. So to do anything I hit the relevant key 3-4 times. In the case of canceling an ability, hitting escape once causes you to cancel, but hitting escape twice causes you to go to the menu. It is easy to then hit resume and keep playing, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Edit: so after I defeat the Lich, how do I go do something else? I pressed campaign again and it took me back to the Lich dungeon, so that one wasn't it I'm guessing.
    Also, how do I move potions from one character to another?
    In the main menu instead of pressing Continue go to Campaigns, the option with the picture of an undead titled "Fort Triumph: Short War", it starts the full campaign

Can't move potions yet unfortunately. Inventory, artifacts and better potions usability in tactical is something that's on the top of the to-do list. It'll be the first major feature added I believe, with a bunch of content and the finished first campaign

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

I've played enough to start offering opinions (completed the Prologue, Short War, inasmuch as I reached the end of the content currently done). So:

First things first, I had fun. The humor largely worked, the UI was mostly helpful post patches, and the general style of game worked for me. I also really liked the way the overworld worked, and the whole dynamic of picking fights carefully. The whole XCOM meets Mount and Blade style there works.

That said, there were a few points where the amount of information given was a bit minimal. How far things would move when shoves was a continual point of mystery, and there was some weird collision behavior in terms of diagonal shoves around corners and similar. Projecting an arrow that tells you how far and how things will move when hovering over with various movement mechanics would be really helpful.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    That said, there were a few points where the amount of information given was a bit minimal. How far things would move when shoves was a continual point of mystery, and there was some weird collision behavior in terms of diagonal shoves around corners and similar. Projecting an arrow that tells you how far and how things will move when hovering over with various movement mechanics would be really helpful.
    That is a suggestion I'd agree with. Shoving and such can be rather opaque, which is a shame given that it's one of your flagship mechanics.

I also found the way xp is distributed to be a little irritating - having it overwhelmingly reliant on getting the killing blow hurts less aggressive characters. It also makes for odd situations where you're actively making bad tactical decisions to maximise xp, avoiding kills with temporary characters to avoid them stealing it, etc. I'd much rather have it be equally distributed between all party members.

Also, is there any way to swap items between characters? I couldn't see it, and if it's not there it would really be nice to have. Just read the posts above, evidently not in yet but planned. Fair enough.
    Last edited by TheTeaMustFlow; 2018-05-04 at 09:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

First attempt at Litch: complete and total failure. Pally died when I got too greedy and triggered a pack of archers while trying to take care of a mob who went onto the top of the wall (which I maintain should be a bug). The main room fared... poorly. Everyone was pretty much one-shot. The two archer skeletons did go down, because Fireball, but the two melee guys just mopped up everything I had, and the litch couldn't buy a miss with a dragon's hoard with his spam-happy fireballs.

And you can see it all here.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2018-05-04 at 01:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    First attempt at Litch: complete and total failure. Pally died when I got too greedy and triggered a pack of archers while trying to take care of a mob who went onto the top of the wall (which I maintain should be a bug). The main room fared... poorly. Everyone was pretty much one-shot. The two archer skeletons did go down, because Fireball, but the two melee guys just mopped up everything I had, and the litch couldn't buy a miss with a dragon's hoard with his spam-happy fireballs.

And you can see it all here.
    Oof, that was nasty. Really shows how much difference the procedural generation can make - on my playthrough, I got rather more forgiving enemy placements (and, I think, less archers and more melee guys) on the corridor encounters, and got through pretty much without a hitch.

Have to say though, I think that final fight was winnable with only a moderate amount of luck, even with the losses you'd taken. Have the rangers grapple arrow both the mooks at the back, and that should stun everyone but the boss. I get the idea that fight is basically designed to show off the shove/stun mechanics - the opfor is very tough, but starts awfully positioned.

Also, just so you know: at 24:26, you didn't miss the Goblin... you stabbed the pillar . (UI could do a better job in that situation, to be honest.)
    Last edited by TheTeaMustFlow; 2018-05-04 at 02:45 PM.
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    Oof, that was nasty. Really shows how much difference the procedural generation can make - on my playthrough, I got rather more forgiving enemy placements (and, I think, less archers and more melee guys) on the corridor encounters, and got through pretty much without a hitch.

Have to say though, I think that final fight was winnable with only a moderate amount of luck, even with the losses you'd taken. Have the rangers grapple arrow both the mooks at the back, and that should stun everyone but the boss. I get the idea that fight is basically designed to show off the shove/stun mechanics - the opfor is very tough, but starts awfully positioned.

Also, just so you know: at 24:26, you didn't miss the Goblin... you stabbed the pillar . (UI could do a better job in that situation, to be honest.)
    Weird, I didn't use a shove or stun the whole fight. I just retreated immediately back in the corridor to separate out the melee guys and then stacked accuracy debuffs on the ranged dudes. With the health and damage discrepancies in that fight the idea of attacking when I could be attacked back honestly didn't occur to me.

18. - Top - End - #48

Weird, I didn't use a shove or stun the whole fight. I just retreated immediately back in the corridor to separate out the melee guys and then stacked accuracy debuffs on the ranged dudes. With the health and damage discrepancies in that fight the idea of attacking when I could be attacked back honestly didn't occur to me.
    Uh, the point of stunning them is that they can't fire back.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Uh, the point of stunning them is that they can't fire back.
    If you miss, they can wipe your party. Given my usual accuracy, that is far too real a can.

20. - Top - End - #50

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Great suggestion, added to the build coming out tomorrow. We were planning on adding an indication, but your idea of adding the number of tiles it would move I think would be a significant step up. Thanks :)

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    As feedback for the devs, could you please indicate how an item is going to fall if it is being hit on a diagonal? This is the second time in as many missions that this has worked out in an unexpected way.
    The exact way in which it'll fall requires predicting physics which is surprisingly harder than the games actual physics (which are also surprisingly more complicated because they're tile-based as opposed to real ones). We're on it, and for now adding some UI so the movement makes sense, and tells you how many tiles an object will be moved

I also found the way xp is distributed to be a little irritating - having it overwhelmingly reliant on getting the killing blow hurts less aggressive characters. It also makes for odd situations where you're actively making bad tactical decisions to maximise xp, avoiding kills with temporary characters to avoid them stealing it, etc. I'd much rather have it be equally distributed between all party members.

Also, is there any way to swap items between characters? I couldn't see it, and if it's not there it would really be nice to have. Just read the posts above, evidently not in yet but planned. Fair enough.
    Killing blows - I like the idea. That or give everyone exp for doing anything (taking damage, healing, etc). But that has all sorts of issues. Will bring it up with the team

Item swapping - the first major patch, about a month from now, will focus on artifacts and potions. I agree it's a clunky system right now :/

Thanks so so much for the feedback guys. A new build goes up tomorrow evening with a bunch of your suggestions
    Last edited by adamzeira; 2018-05-08 at 12:29 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

This soon leads to the old Fire Emblem trick of parking all your characters in the enemy's personal space to keep them trapped until the unit you want to get the kill comes along.

Having the lion's share of XP awarded for the killing blow leads to one of two outcomes. People play gamey to equalise it or they start to rely more and more on whoever runs away with the XP lead the first few levels.

It may be better to have the XP all go into a shared pool and let the player spend it between battles (or have a catchup mechanism using another resource the player can reasonably obtain like Warriors games have the training ground).

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

This soon leads to the old Fire Emblem trick of parking all your characters in the enemy's personal space to keep them trapped until the unit you want to get the kill comes along.

Having the lion's share of XP awarded for the killing blow leads to one of two outcomes. People play gamey to equalise it or they start to rely more and more on whoever runs away with the XP lead the first few levels.

It may be better to have the XP all go into a shared pool and let the player spend it between battles (or have a catchup mechanism using another resource the player can reasonably obtain like Warriors games have the training ground).
    Oh yeah.. while i love the creativity found in for example the disgaia games, then i also still hate the killing-blow bit of xp management with the fury of a thousand suns.

As this gentleman mention it easily leads to a downward spiral of one character hugging all the xp constantly, and makes it a bitch if you want a even partly equal team.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Episode 4 is up!

So, did better getting to the Litch, but lost my Barbarian due to being focus-fired by the Litch who can't seem to ever miss, despite heavy cover on both shots.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54

This looks interesting. Unless new keys come out I'll probably wait until it's more polished before playing though.
    I'm a Prestige Class! Thanks Zaydos!

25. - Top - End - #55

Flumph

New build up, added a few more keys

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I picked up the CFVH9-LHAP4-A5PE3 key, because this definitely seems like something up my alley!
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Claimed EKR0V-LN42K-DHRP3, thanks a lot!
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Took QL206-RAXIZ-2CTYR, and it looks like someone took 0TMVA-AMNI2-IZ592 without saying anything. Thanks!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Well looks like they've all been taken. Ahh well.

Anyway, it looks fun. And I hope it does well, and maybe I'll try it later.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Is there a way to revive falen members, or to use the save function? Or should I reload the last autosave as soon as someone falls? Or is the idea that new members that join are replacements? I'm not too familiar with the genre conventions.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2018-05-11 at 03:10 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!