New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Giants and Graveyards: Grod's collected 3.5 revisions

Giants and Graveyards

Introduction

I've been homebrewing 3.5 content for a few years now, and I like to think I've gotten pretty good at it. The other day, I looked back at what I'd wrought, and I found an entire edition's worth of new, revised, and tweaked classes. So, I thought I'd collect it all here!

The Goal: To create a more balanced, more enjoyable 3.5 experience while maintaining compatibility with as much existing material as possible.

The Methods: The primary adjustment comes via a large set of new and overhauled classes, aimed squarely at Tier 3, with narrower ranges of optimization than most published classes-- high floors, low ceilings. On top of that, I've written some houserules to address more minor irritations with gameplay, and come up with a ban list for truly broken material.

The Philosophy: I believe in mechanics. Roleplaying and player inventiveness are relatively constant qualities-- they exist regardless of what class or system you're using. Saying that a class is OK because a player can just improvise is a manifestation of the Oberani Fallacy. A well-designed game should have plenty of mechanical options, which give the improvisers more tools to play with, and the straightforward players things to do beyond "I attack" and "I roll diplomacy."

I believe in power. I believe in D&D as a heroic, even epic fantasy game, building from competent heroes into mythological characters. I believe that power should increase dramatically over the course of the game, and that low-level adventures should become obsolete-- otherwise, why bother with levels at all?

I also believe in modularity, to some extent. While some things (particularly the list of deleted feats) connect to other parts of this fix, most can be either used or ignored without affecting the rest of the material.

The Content: The project here contains three main elements: a set of houserules, a ban list, and a long list of new and revised classes.
    • The houserules are designed to address many mundane annoyances with the system-- feat taxes, too many skills, and modes of combat that are just flat-out inferior to each other. There are a number of "that shouldn't require investment to use" tweaks, and a few things here and there that are mostly personal prefrence.
    • The ban list is meant to cover things that are simply, irredeemably broken. Things that are problems all by themselves, at any optimization level. Mostly concentrating on things that are too strong, although I've tried to also include a few things (mostly PrCs) that are too weak for any playable character.
    • The new and revised classes are designed to settle everyone in Tier 3, plus or minus about half a tier. And if the ban list tries to cut off a lot of high-level (practical) optimization, here I've tried to make sure that classes have a low "floor," so that even brand-new players can build a character that can effectively contribute to the game.

Of everything, I'd say that the new classes are far and away the most important balancing element presented here. After that, I'd point to the skill and feat houserules, followed by the combat houserules and the ban list.

For DMs: Most characters built using these rules will be stronger than you expect. When designing encounters, consider party members to be a level or two higher than what it says on their sheets.

Complimentary Projects
    I've done an awful lot of homebrewing and system tweaking over the years; I'll add a few useful links here that can easily be used alongside Giants and Graveyards.
    • The Fixed List Caster Project: Technically already part of the class tweaks, the FLCP is an attempt to boost balance and fun by filling all major spellcasting archetypes with classes in the vein of the Beguiler or Warmage.
    • Chopping Down the Christmas Tree: 3.5 has a serious structural problem with magic item bloat-- to whit, without your pile of enchanted items, you won't have the numbers to handle monsters at your level. My rules provide a comprehensive alternative--one that doesn't leave lower-tier classes totally devoid of interesting abilities.
    • Best Feats of 3.5: Picking feats is possibly the most aggravating part of building a high-level character, doubly so if you're using my rules to cut down on feat taxes. I've collected lists of feats actually worth taking here.

Also worthy of note is my 3.5 Quickfix-- if Giants and Graveyards feels like too big a change, I also took a stab at rebalancing 3.5 with just five houserules-- and my Scout Handbook.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2019-05-23 at 09:58 AM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Giants and Graveyards: Grod's collected 3.5 revisions

Basic Houserules

Skills
    Spoiler
    Show

• Classes grant a minimum of 4+Int skill points/level.

Skill Ranks
    • All skills cost 1 point/rank, be they class or cross-class.
    • Your maximum number of ranks in a class skill is your level+3, and your maximum number of ranks in a cross-class skill is your level.
    • Once a class skill, always a class skill
    • Your Intelligence modifier never gives a penalty to your skill points/level

Linked Skills
    Certain skills are Linked. Whenever you put ranks in one skill, you gain an equal number of ranks in any skills that it's Linked to. You cannot exceed the normal cap on skill ranks using Linked skills; however, if you have a skill as a class skill, any skill it's Linked to also counts as a class skill. (Basically, it merges the skills, only without overwriting the assumptions the rest of the game is built on). This replaces Skill Synergies.

The various Linked skills are:
    • Autohypnosis and Concentrate
    • Balance and Tumble
    • Bluff and Disguise
    • Climb, Jump, and Swim
    • Disable Device and Open Lock
    • Handle Animal and Ride
    • Hide and Move Silently
    • Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft
    • Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (Geography), and Survival.
    • Listen, Search, and Spot

Skill Tricks (Complete Scoundrel)
    Spoiler
    Show

• Skill Tricks may be used at-will.
    • Whenever you qualify for a skill trick, you automatically learn it-- you don't have to spend skill points to do so.
    • There is no limit to how many Skill Tricks you may learn.

Miscellaneous
    • When you have 4 ranks of Survival, gain Track as a bonus feat.
    • When you have 9 ranks of Hide and Move Silently, gain Darkstalker (Lords of Madness) as a bonus feat.

Feats
    Spoiler
    Show

Bonus Feats
    • Certain feats are granted for free when your Base Attack Bonus reaches a certain level, as shown on the table below. You do not need to meet the normal prerequisites. If you would be granted a feat you already possess, you may instead learn one fighter bonus feat (for which you must meet the prerequisites)

Base Attack Bonus Free Feats
    +1 Combat Expertise
    Improved Shield Bash
    Improved Unarmed Strike
    Power Attack
    Precise Shot
    Rapid Reload
    Quick Draw
    +6 Blind Fight
    Improved Two-Weapon Fighting* (Two-Weapon Fighting)
    Weapon Specialization* (Weapon Focus)
    +11 Bounding Assault* (PHB 2) (Spring Attack)
    Greater Two-Weapon Fighting* (Two-Weapon Fighting)
    Greater Weapon Focus* (Weapon Focus)
    Whirlwind Attack
    +16 Greater Weapon Specialization* (Weapon Focus)
    Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting* (Two-Weapon Fighting)
    Starred feats are only granted if you already possess the prerequisite feat, listed in parenthesis. If you gain the prerequisite feat at a later date, you are automatically awarded any subsequent feats you would have been granted. In addition, Track and Darkstalker are granted automatically once you have a certain number of skill ranks, as described above.

Deleted Feats
    Feats listed below are deleted from the game. Anywhere they are referenced, remove them. If they were listed in a monster or NPC's entry, choose a new feat in their place. If they were listed as a prerequisite, do not replace them. If they were granted as a bonus feat, pick a thematically similar feat in their place. (For example, Skill Focus (Concentration) in place of Combat Casting, or Rapid Shot in place of Point-Blank Shot)
    • Acrobatic
    • Agile
    • Alertness
    • Animal Affinity
    • Athletic
    • Combat Casting
    • Deceitful
    • Deft Hands
    • Diligent
    • Endurance
    • Eschew Materials
    • Investigator
    • Mobility
    • Negotiator
    • Nimble Fingers
    • Point-Blank Shot
    • Persuasive
    • Self-Sufficient
    • Shield Specialization (PHB 2)
    • Stealthy
    • Toughness

Requirements
    • You may take feats with an Ability score prerequisite you don't meet, so long as your level+10 is greater than the prerequisite. Thus, a 5th level Fighter could take Two-Weapon Fighting even if he did not have a Dex score of 15.
    • Any feat with a BAB requirement, or which requires Power Attack, Combat Expertise, or Improved Unarmed Strike as a prerequisite, counts as a Fighter Bonus Feat

Alterations
    • Dodge grants a Dodge bonus to AC equal to 1+1/4 your BAB.
    • Great Fortitude, Iron Will, and Lightning Reflexes all upgrade your save progression from slow to fast. If you already have a fast progression, you count as having the feat for the purposes of prerequisites.
    • Improved Bull Rush, Improved Disarm, Improved Grapple, and Improved Sunder all allow you to immediately make a melee attack upon successfully completing the maneuver, as Improved Trip does. They also grant an additional +1 bonus per four points of BAB.
    • Improved Feint allows you to feint as a swift action.
    • Power Attack may be used with any weapon, light or heavy, melee or ranged; however, all weapons obey the -1 attack/+1 damage tradeoff. If your BAB is +10 or higher, the tradeoff becomes -1 attack/+2 damage, as though you were using a two-handed weapon with the feat's original text.
    • Skill Focus allows you to rolls checks made using the selected skill twice, taking the better result.
    • Vow of Poverty is now an option, not a feat, and allows you to choose any feat as a bonus feat, not just Exalted ones. In addition, you can trade the AC bonus for the ability to still use nonmagic, non-special-material items THAT YOU CRAFTED YOURSELF (thus allowing martial types to actually use weapons and armor)
    • Weapon Finesse is now a weapon-specific feat, allowing you to use your Dexterity modifier in place of Strength for a weapon not normally finessable, such as a longsword. If you wield a now-finessable weapon in two hands you add twice your Dexterity modifier, as the extra hand allows you greater control over the weapon.
    • Zen Archery, Intuitive Attack, and similar feats allow you to use your ability score for attack and damage, not just attack. As with Weapon Finesse, you still add twice your modifier if wielding a melee weapon in two hands.

Retraining
    • You may re-assign weapon-specific feats like Weapon Focus by spending one day training.

Equipment
    Spoiler
    Show

• Shield bonuses apply to touch attacks, as well as normal attacks.
    • Shields grant a miss chance equal of 5%, plus an additional 5% for every iterative attack granted by your BAB. Tower shields grant an additional 10% miss chance, while bucklers grant 5% less miss chance than normal.
    • Tower shields don't inflict an attack penalty
    • Replace the Greatclub with a "Greathammer," with identical stats to the Greataxe and granting +2 to Sunder checks.
    • Breastplates provide a +6 armor bonus, instead of +5.
    • Magic item crafting does not require an XP expenditure.

• An Amulet of Mighty Fists only costs twice as much as the basic weapon enhancement, not three times. Thus, a +1 Amulet costs 4,000 gold, a +2 costs 16,000, and so on.

Combat
    Spoiler
    Show

Statistics
    • When wielding a light or finessable melee weapon, you may use the better of your Strength or Dexterity scores to determine your bonus to hit and damage.
    • When wielding a two-handed melee weapon you may add twice your Strength modifier to damage.
    • When wielding a ranged weapon, you may add your Dexterity modifier to damage. (For a thrown weapon, use the better of your Strength or Dexterity modifier)
    • When making a full attack, all iterative attacks are made at a -5 penalty. Thus, a BAB of +20 would be written as +20/+15/+15/+15, rather than +20/+15/+10/+5.

Initiative
    • Add one-half your BAB to your initiative.

Attacks of Opportunity
    • You do not provoke attacks of opportunity when using the Bull Rush, Disarm, Grapple, Overrun, Sunder, or Trip options in combat.
    • Each round, you may make a number of attacks of opportunity equal to the number of iterative attacks you can make during a full attack.
    • You may take a five-foot step instead of making an attack of opportunity.

Actions in Combat
    • When using the Total Defense option, when you are attacked, roll 1d20 and add all bonuses to armor class. If your roll is less than 10, add 10.
    • When making a full attack, you may take a five-foot step after each attack.
    • When wielding two weapons, you may attack with both any time you could normally make only a single attack in that action, such as when taking a standard action to attack or making an attack of opportunity.

Magic
    Spoiler
    Show

• To cast defensively, you must make a Concentration check, with a DC of 15 + highest BAB among those threatening you + the level of the spell you're attempting to cast. You gain a bonus to the check equal to your BAB.
    • When counterspelling, you may use any spell with the same descriptor as the one you are attempting to counter.
    • Divination spells can be blocked by one inch lead per spell level, or any solid layer of adamantine.
    • Material components valued at less than 1 gp are ignored. (Ie, casters may operate as though they possessed the Eschew Materials feat)
    • Applying metamagic to a spell cast spontaneously does not increase the casting time.
    • Cantrips may be used at-will. (Cure Minor Wounds stabilizes you rather than healing one point per round).
    • Spell ranges do not scale with level.

Other
    Spoiler
    Show

• Alignment Restrictions on classes do not apply, except for the Paladin (whose entire reason for being is to be Good.
    • Multiclass penalties do not exist.
    • Use fractional BAB and saves

Ban List

Spells
    Spoiler
    Show

Core
    • Alter Self (Replace with Pathfinder version)
    • Astral Projection
    • Contact Other Plane
    • Fabricate
    • Gate
    • Glibness
    • Limited Wish
    • Mage's Disjunction
    • Mage’s Lucubration
    • Miracle*
    • Mnemonic Enhancer
    • Planar Ally, and derivatives
    • Planar Binding, and derivatives
    • Polymorph (Replace with Pathfinder version)
    • Polymorph Any Object
    • Shades
    • Shadow Conjuration, and derivatives
    • Shadow Evocation, and derivatives
    • Shapechange (Replace with Pathfinder version)
    • Simulacrum
    • Summon Monster (all)
    • Summon Nature's Ally (all)
    • Wish*

*These spells may be available on a quest-based basis, such as a demon offering wishes in return for souls, but players should not be able to freely or reliably access them.

Some groups may also wish to ban Rope Trick for "making wandering monsters not a threat" and "encouraging the 15 minute workday," and long-range teleport spells (Teleport, Greater Teleport, Teleport Any Object, and Teleportation Circle) for "allowing scry-and-die tactics" and "eliminating the need for overland travel."

Other
    Spell or Power Source
    Arcane Fusion, and derivatives Complete Mage
    Arcane Spellsurge Dragon Magic
    Body Outside Body Complete Arcane
    Celerity, and derivatives Player’s Handbook 2
    Consumptive Field, and derivatives Libris Mortis
    Draconic Polymorph Draconomicon
    Fimbulwinter Frostburn
    Fission Expanded Psionics Handbook
    Fusion Expanded Psionics Handbook
    Genesis Epic Level Handbook
    Guidance of the Avatar Online
    Ice Assassin Frostburn
    Love’s Pain Book of Vile Darkness
    Metaconcert Expanded Psionics Handbook
    Metamorphosis, and derivatives Expanded Psionics Handbook
    Mindrape Book of Vile Darkness
    Mirror Move Online
    Necrotic Tumor Book of Vile Darkness
    Power Word Pain Races of The Dragon
    Psychic Reformation Expanded Psionics Handbook
    Psychic Reformation Expanded Psionics Handbook
    Ray of Stupidity Spell Compendium
    Reality Revision Expanded Psionics Handbook
    Schism Expanded Psionics Handbook
    Shivering Touch Frostburn
    Touchsight Expanded Psionics Handbook
    Triadspell Spell Compendium
    Venomfire Serpent Kingdoms
    Wings of Cover Races of The Dragon

Classes
    Spoiler
    Show

Base Classes
    Anything not listed in the next post is probably not OK; definitely not OK are:
    • Archivist
    • Artificer
    • Dragon Shaman
    • Favored Soul
    • Healer
    • Monk
    • Ninja
    • Samauri
    • Sorcerer
    • Spirit Shaman
    • Wizard

Prestige Classes
    Class Source
    Apostle of Peace Book of Exalted Deeds
    Dragon Disciple Dungeon Master’s Guide
    Duelist Dungeon Master’s Guide
    Dwarven Defender Dungeon Master’s Guide
    Dweomerkeeper Online
    Incantatrix Player’s Guide to Faerun
    Incarnum Blade Magic of Incarnum
    Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil Complete Arcane
    Malconvoker Complete Scoundrel
    Master of the Unseen Hand Complete Warrior
    Planar Shepherd Faiths of Eberron
    Rainbow Servant Complete Divine
    Shadowcraft Mage Races of Stone
    Sublime Chord Complete Arcane
    Tainted Scholar Heroes of Horror
    Thaumaturgist Dungeon Master’s Guide
    Thrallherd Expanded Psionics Handbook
    True Necromancer Libris Mortis
    Ur Priest Complete Divine

Feats
    Spoiler
    Show

Feat Source
    Assume Supernatural Ability Savage Species
    Craft Contingent Spell Complete Arcane
    Greenbound Summoning Lost Empires of Faerun
    Lightning Mace Complete Warrior
    Mercantile Background Player’s Guide to Faerun
    Reserves of Strength Dragonlance Campaign Setting
    Sanctum Spell Complete Arcane
    Uncanny Forethought Exemplars of Evil
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2017-11-26 at 08:32 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

New and Revised Material

Races

Common Races
    Spoiler
    Show

Dwarf
    • Type: Humanoid (Dwarf)
    • Size:Medium
    • Speed:Base land speed of 30 feet. However, dwarves only run at x3 speed (x4 with the Run feat)
    • Senses:Darkvision out to 60 feet
    • Ability Modifiers+2 Constitution
    • Racial Skills: Craft and Knowledge (Dungeoneering). Racial skills always count as class skills. When rolling a racial skill, roll twice and take the better result.
    • Racial Feat:Dwarves gain either Armor Proficiency (Heavy) or Improved Sunder as a racial bonus feat.
    • Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves may treat waraxes, dwarven waraxes, and greataxes as simple weapons.
    • Dwarven Endurance (Ex):Dwarves do not have their speed reduced when wearing heavier armor or carrying heavier loads. In addition, when making Fortitude saves against poison and disease, they may roll twice and take the better result.
    • Ancestor’s Protection (Su): Once per day as a swift action, a dwarf can channel the spirits of his ancestors, granting him spell resistance equal to 10+HD for one round, plus one round per point of his Wisdom modifier (minimum 1). If the dwarf already has spell resistance when he activates this ability, it increases by five. This ability may be used on additional time per day for every five hit die the individual possesses.

Elf, High
    • Type: Humanoid (Elf)
    • Size: Medium
    • Speed: Base land speed of 30 feet
    • Senses: Low-light vision
    • Ability Modifiers: +2 Int
    • Racial Skills: Balance and Knowledge (Arcane). Racial skills always count as class skills. When rolling a racial skill, roll twice and take the better result.
    • Racial Feat: High Elves gain either Spell Focus or Combat Reflexes as a racial bonus feat.
    • Weapon Familiarity: High Elves may treat Longswords and Shortswords as simple weapons
    • Elven Wakefulness (Ex): Elves do not sleep— instead, they “trance” for about 4 hours a night. While trancing, elves are partially aware of the world around them— they are not considered helpless, merely prone and flat-footed, and may continue to make Spot and Listen checks at a -5 penalty. They are immune to magical sleep effects.
    • Arcane Dabbler (Sp): Pick one first level Sorcerer/Wizard spell. The elf may cast this spell once per day as a spell-like ability. This ability may be used on additional time per day for every five hit die the individual possesses. If they take levels in an arcane casting class, instead add that spell to their list of spells known.

Elf, Wood
    • Speed: Base land speed of 40 feet
    • Senses: Low-light vision
    • Ability Modifier: +2 Dexterity
    • Racial Skills: Balance and Knowledge (Nature). Racial skills always count as class skills. When rolling a racial skill, roll twice and take the better result.
    • Racial Feat: Wood Elves gain Rapidshot or Spring Attack as a racial bonus feat.
    • Weapon Familiarity: Wood Elves may treat Longbows and Shortbows as simple weapons.
    • Elven Wakefulness (Ex): Elves do not sleep— instead, they “trance” for about 4 hours a night. While trancing, elves are partially aware of the world around them— they are not considered helpless, merely prone and flat-footed, and may continue to make Spot and Listen checks at a -5 penalty. They are immune to magical sleep effects.
    • Drudic Dabbler (Sp): Pick one first level Druid spell. The elf may cast this spell once per day as a spell-like ability. This ability may be used on additional time per day for every five hit die the individual possesses. If they take levels in a divine casting class, instead add that spell to their list of spells known.

Gnome
    • Type: Humanoid (Gnome)
    • Size: Small
    • Speed: Base land speed of 20 feet
    • Senses: Low-Light Vision
    • Ability Modifier: +2 Charisma
    • Racial Skills: Bluff and Craft. Racial skills always count as class skills. When rolling a racial skill, roll twice and take the better result.
    • Racial Feat: Gnomes gain either Brew Potion or Skill Focus as a racial bonus feat.
    • Weapon Familiarity: Gnomes may treat hand crossbows and rapiers as simple weapons.
    • Gnomish Brewing Techniques (Ex): When making potions, gnomes may substitute a Craft (Alchemy) check for a spell, with a DC of 10+5*level of the spell to be replaced. In addition, gnomes brew potions twice as fast as normal.
    • Gnomish Illusions (Sp): Gnomes may use Silent Image as a spell-like ability once per day, and Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound, and Prestidigitation as spell like abilities once times per day each. Theses ability may be used on additional time per day for every five hit die the individual possesses. If they take levels in a casting class, instead add the aforementioned spells to their list of spells known.

Half-Elf
    • Type: Humanoid (Elf and Human; see below)
    • Senses: Low-Light vision
    • Racial Skills: Pick one skill as your racial skill. Racial skills always count as class skills. When rolling a racial skill, roll twice and take the better result.
    • Racial Feat: Half-Elves gain Skill Focus as a racial bonus feat.
    • Weapon Familiarity: Half Elves may treat either longbows and shortbows, or longbows and longswords or one martial weapon of their choice as simple weapons.
    • Fast Learner: Half-Elves gain 4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
    • Mixed Heritage (Ex): Half-Elves take many of the best aspects from each of their parents. When determining race-based effects, Half-Elves may count as either a human or an elf, whichever is more beneficial at the time.

Halfling
    • Type: Humanoid (Halfling)
    • Senses: none
    • Ability Modifier:+2 Dexterity
    • Racial Skills: Sleight of Hand and Tumble. Racial skills always count as class skills. When rolling a racial skill, roll twice and take the better result.
    • Racial Feat: Halflings gain either Dodge or Mounted Combat as a racial bonus feat.
    • Weapon Familiarity:Halflings may treat lances and shortbows as simple weapons.
    • Strong Heart (Ex): Halflings are immune to fear and fear effects.
    • Halfling Luck (Su): Once per day, as a swift action, a Halfling may grant himself a luck bonus to a single attack roll, saving throw, skill check, or ability check equal to 2+1/4 his level. In addition, if his roll is ten or less, he may reroll and add 10. This ability may be used on additional time per day for every five hit die the individual possesses.

Half-Orc
    • Type: Humanoid (Orc and Human; see below)
    • Speed: Base land speed of 30ft.
    • Senses: Darkvision out to 60ft
    • Ability Modifier:+2 Strength
    • Racial Skills: Intimidate and Survival. Racial skills always count as class skills. When rolling a racial skill, roll twice and take the better result.
    • Racial Feat: Half-orcs receive one feat of their choice as a racial bonus feat.
    • Weapon Familiarity: Half-Orcs may treat Greatswords, Greataxes, and Greathammers as simple weapons.
    • Mixed Heritage (Ex): Half-Orcs take many of the best aspects from each of their parents. When determining race-based effects, Half-Orcs may count as either a human or an orc, whichever is more beneficial at the time.
    • Orcish Terror (Ex): When he really wants to, a half-orc can truely put the fear of Gruumsh in a target. Once per day, he may activate this ability while intimidating a target. If successful, instead of ending when the half-orc leaves, as is normal for the Intimidate skill, the intimidation effect lasts for 24 hours after his departure. Thereafter, the target’s attitude toward the half-orc shifts to unfriendly, but a lingering fear remains. Whenever the half-orc returns to someone he has previously intimidated, he gains a +5 bonus on his Intimidate check to re-establish the effect. This ability may be used on additional time per day for every five hit die the individual possesses.

Human
    • Type: Humanoid (Human)
    • Ability Modifier:+2 to a stat of your choice
    • Racial Skills: Pick one skill as your racial skill. Racial skills always count as class skills. When rolling a racial skill, roll twice and take the better result.
    • Racial Feat: Humans receive one feat of their choice as a racial bonus feat.
    • Weapon Familiarity:Humans may treat one martial weapon of their choice as a simple weapon.
    • Fast Learner: Humans receive 4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.

Subrace: Azurin
    • Azurin gain 1 point of essentia instead of bonus skill points.

Uncommon Races
    Spoiler
    Show

Changeling
    • Type: Humanoid (Shapechanger)
    • Speed: Base land speed of 40 feet
    • Ability Modifier: +2 Charisma
    • Racial Skills: Bluff and Disguise. Racial skills always count as class skills. When rolling a racial skill, roll twice and take the better result.
    • Weapon Familiarity: Changelings may treat rapiers and saps as simple weapons.
    • Resistance to Transmutation: Being shapechangers, Changelings possess a natural resistance to uninvited attempts to control their forms. Changelings gain a bonus to saves against Transmutation spells equal to their Wisdom modifier (minimum +1).
    • Minor Change Shape (Su): Changelings have the supernatural ability to alter their appearance as though using a disguise self spell that affects their bodies but not their possessions. This is not an illusory effect but a minor physical alteration of a changeling’s facial features, skin color and texture, and size, within the limits described for the spell. A changeling can use this ability at will, and the alteration lasts until she changes shape again. A changeling reverts to her natural form when killed. A true seeing spell reveals her natural form. Using this ability is a full-round action.

Drow
    • Senses: Darkvision: Drow can see in the dark up to 120 feet
    • Ability Modifier: +2 Int
    • Racial Skills: Bluff and Hide. Racial skills always count as class skills. When rolling a racial skill, roll twice and take the better result.
    • Racial Feat: Drow gain Improved Feint or Improved Initiative as a racial bonus feat.
    • Weapon Familiarity: Drow treat Rapiers and Hand Crossbows as simple weapons.
    • Elven Wakefulness (Ex): As elves, Drow do not sleep— instead, they “trance” for about 4 hours a night. While trancing, drow are partially aware of the world around them— they are not considered helpless, merely prone and flat-footed, and may continue to make Spot and Listen checks at a -5 penalty. They are immune to magical sleep effects.
    • Spread the Shadow (Ex): Drow may use darkness and fairy fire as spell-like abilities, each usable once per day. For every five hit die they possess, they may use each ability an additional time per day.

Goblin
    • Type: Humanoid (Goblinoid)
    • Senses: Darkvision: Goblins may see in the dark up to 60ft.
    • Ability Modifier: +2 Dex
    • Racial Skills: Move Silently and Ride. Racial skills always count as class skills. When rolling a racial skill, roll twice and take the better result.
    • Racial Feat: Goblins gain Mounted Combat or Spring Attack as a racial bonus feat.
    • Weapon Familiarity: Goblins treat Shortbows and Lances as simple weapons.
    • Iron Stomachs: Goblins can eat almost anything. They gain a +5 bonus to Survival checks made to find food, and are immune to being sickened or nauseated.
    • Scuttle: Once per day, a Goblin may move up to his speed as a swift action without provoking attacks of opportunity. This ability may be used on additional time per day for every five hit die the individual possesses.

Goliath
    • Type: Humanoid (Giant)
    • Ability Modifier: +2 Strength
    • Racial Skills: Climb and Jump. Racial skills always count as class skills. When rolling a racial skill, roll twice and take the better result.
    • Racial Feat: Goliaths gain Leap of the Heavens (PHB 2) or Cleave as a racial bonus feat.
    • Weapon Familiarity:Goliaths may treat warhammers and greathammers as simple weapons.
    • Powerful Build: The physical stature of goliath lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a goliath is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the goliath is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A goliath is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A goliath can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category. This ability allows a goliath to qualify for feats, PrCs, and similar abilities with with a prerequisite of Large size.
      Mountain Movement: Goliaths may make standing jumps as though they had a running start, and retain their Dexterity bonus to AC when climbing.

Kobold
    • Type: Humanoid (Dragonblooded)
    • Senses: Darkvision: Kobolds may see in the dark up to 60ft.
    • Racial Skills: Hide and Craft. Racial skills always count as class skills. When rolling a racial skill, roll twice and take the better result.
    • Racial Feat: Kobolds receive Spring Attack or Improved Initiative as a racial bonus feat.
    • Weapon Familiarity: Kobolds treat Light Picks, Heavy Picks, and Greatspears as simple weapons.
    • Slight Build: The physical stature of kobolds lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a kobold is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the kobold is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. A kobold is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. A kobold can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a kobold remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category. This ability allows a kobold to qualify for feats, PrCs, and similar abilities with with a prerequisite of Tiny size.
    • Trapfinding: Kobolds can use the Search skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20, as the Rogue ability of the same name.

Lizardfolk
    • Type: Humanoid (Reptilian)
    • Ability Modifier: +2 Strength
    • Racial Skills: varies-- see below
    • Racial Feat: Lizardfolk receive either Track or Weapon Focus (Claws) or Weapon Focus (Bite) as a bonus feat.
    • Weapon Familiarity: Lizardfolk are automatically proficient with their natural weapons.
    • Scales: Lizardfolk gain a +2 bonus to natural armor. This bonus increases by one for every five hit die the Lizardfolk possesses, as their scales harden with age.
    • Natural Weaponry: Lizardfolk have two primary claw attacks dealing 1d4 damage each, and a secondary bite attack dealing 1d6 damage.

Lizardfolk vary slightly depending on what environment they've evolved to live in:

Desert
    • Racial Skills: Balance and Climb.
    • Heat Endurance: Desert Lizardfolk may comfortably exist in environments of up to 140 degrees Fahrenheit, and only need to drink one-tenth as much water as normal humanoids of their size.

Swamp
    • Racial Skills: Balance and Swim.
    • Hold Breath: Swamp Lizardfolk can hold their breath for a number of rounds equal to four times their Constitution score before they risks drowning.

Warforged
    • Type: Construct (Living Construct)
    • Ability Modifier: +2 Constitution
    • Racial Skills: Craft and Concentrate. Racial skills always count as class skills. When rolling a racial skill, roll twice and take the better result.
    • Racial Feat: Warforged receive Diehard or a Warforged feat of their choice as a racial bonus feat.
    • Weapon Familiarity: Warforged may treat longswords and glaives as simple weapons.
    • Composite Plating: Warforged have a +2 bonus to Natural Armor and 25% fortification

New Feats

Spoiler
    Show

Alien Call
    Prerequisite: Conjurer Level 3
    Benefit: When using your Conjured Ally ability, you may spend one additional daily use to add the Pseudonatural template (CArc) to the summoned creature.

Beloved of Nature
    Prerequisite: Savage 2
    Benefit: You gain an additional Nature’s Gift ability
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times.

Break on Through
    Prerequisite: Improved Sunder, Strength 15
    Benefit: If you miss an opponent in melee combat by an amount equal to or less than your Strength modifier, you may make a sunder attempt against their weapon or armor as a free action. If you destroy it, you deal them melee damage as though you had hit them with the initial attack.
    Special: A fighter may select this feat as a fighter bonus feat.

Brutal Overrun
    Prerequisite: Improved Overrun
    Benefit: You may make an attack of opportunity against any opponent knocked prone by an ovverrun attempt.

Child of the Wild
    Prerequisite: Savage 4
    Benefit: You gain an additional Evolution ability

Chokehold
    Prerequisite: Improved Grapple
    Benefit: Once you have successfully initiated a grapple, you may deal 2d6+2*Strength modifier damage every round with a successful grapple check. This damage may be lethal or nonlethal, as you choose.
    Normal: Damaging an opponent in a grapple deals 1d3+Strength modifier nonlethal damage.

Crushing Tackle
    Prerequisite: Strength 15, Improved Bull Rush
    Benefit: If you successfully Bull Rush a foe into a solid object, deal 1d6 bludgeoning damage per 5 feet he would have been pushed normally, plus twice your Strength modifier.

Curse of Sloth [Curse]
    Prerequisite: Greater Hexblade's Curse
    Benefit: Instead of a normal curse, you may place a curse of sloth on your target. Each round, the victim of a curse of sloth has a 50% chance to act normally; otherwise, it takes no action. A curse of sloth otherwise functions as a normal Hexblade curse.

Desert Ally
    Benefit: When using your Conjured Ally ability, you may spend one additional daily use to add the Dustform template (Sandstorm) to the summoned creature.

Doomhammer
    Prerequisite:Strength 15, Improved Bull Rush, Weapon Focus (Any bludgeoning weapon)
    Benefit: As a standard action, make a single melee attack with a bludgeoning weapon, at a -2 penalty. If your attack hits, deal damage as normal and make a bull rush attempt as a free action, without provoking attacks of opportunity.
    Special: You may combine this feat with the power attack feat. For every -1 penalty you take to attack, gain a +1 bonus on the Strength check for the Bull Rush attempt. This bonus replaces the bonus damage from using power attack. A fighter may select this feat as a fighter bonus feat.

Double Summons
    Prerequisite: Conjurer Level 6
    Benefit: When using your Conjured Ally ability, you may spend two additional daily uses to summon a second creature of the same type.

Eclectic Training
    Prerequisite: none
    Benefit: Pick one skill. From now on, that skill (and any linked skills, if applicable) is always treated as class skill for you. In addition, you receive a number of bonus skill points equal to your current level, and one additional skill point at each subsequent level. These bonus skill points can only be invested in the chosen skill.

Endurance of the Wilds
    Prerequisite: Nature’s Resilience class ability, Constitution 17
    Benefit: You may use your Nature’s Resilience ability an additional 3 times per day.
    Special: Upon gaining the Nature’s Majesty class feature, you may immediately retrain this feat.

Extra Brutish
    Prerequisite: Barbarian 6
    Benefit: You learn an additional Brute Power of one grade lower than the highest grade of Brute Power you currently have access to.
    Special: You may take this feat more than once. Each time, you may learn an additional Brute Power.

Extra Composition
    Prerequisite: Ability to learn Sonatas
    Benefit: You learn one additional Composition of one grade lower than the highest grade of Composition you currently have access to.
    Special: This feat may be taken more than once. Each time, you may learn an additional Composition.

Extra Smiting [Smite]
    Prerequisite: Smite Evil class ability
    Benefit: You may attempt to Smite Evil an extra two times per encounter.
    Special: You make take this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.

Faithful Ally
    Benefit: Beginning at 8th level, when using his Conjured Ally ability, a Conjurer may expend an additional daily use to have his summon last for a number of minutes equal to his Conjurer level plus his Intelligence modifier

Fast Grab
    Prerequisite: Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple
    Benefit: If you hit an opponent with an unarmed strike, you deal normal damage, and may immediately attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking attacks of opportunity. However, you suffer a -4 penalty on the first grapple check.

Frogmarch
    Prerequisite: Improved Grapple, Strength 15
    Benefit: When attempting to move during a grapple, you may move up to your full speed with a successful grapple check.
    Normal: You may move up to half your speed with a successful grapple check.

Frostfell Ally
    Benefit: When using your Conjured Ally ability, you may spend one additional daily use to add the Ice Beast template (Frostburn) to the summoned creature.

Giant Rush
    Prerequisite: Strength 15, Improved Bull Rush
    Benefit: When you win a Bull Rush attempt, you may push your foe the full distance without having to move with him.

Greenbound Ally
    Benefit: When using your Conjured Ally ability, you may spend three additional daily uses to add the Greenbound template (LEoF) to the summoned creature.

Healing Disciple
    Prerequisite: Caster Level 1, Wisdom 13
    Benefit: Add all spells from the Healing domain to your list of spells known. In addition, the Heal skill is always a class skill for you.

Lingering Curse [Curse]
    Prerequisite: Greater Hexblade's Curse
    Benefit: A number of times per day equal to your Charisma modifier, you may expend your curse as a standard action to place a Lingering Curse on your target. A lingering curse has only half the effect of your normal curse, but has a permanent duration-- it cannot be dispelled, and it can only be removed with a break enchantment, limited wish, miracle, remove curse, or wish spell. Targets get a will save (DC 10 + 1/2 Hexblade's class level + Hexblade's Cha modifier) to negate the curse.

Martial Curse [Curse]
    Prerequisite: Hexblade Curse
    Benefit: You may attempt to curse a target as a free action after striking them with a ranged or melee attack. If you do, the save DC is equal to to 10+1/2 Hexblade level + Strength modifier (for a melee attack) or 10+1/2 Hexblade level + Dexterity modifier (for a ranged attack).

Mass Staredown
    Prerequisite: Intimidate 12 ranks, Staredown
    Benefit: As a standard action, you may attempt to demoralize all opponents within 30 feet with a single Intimidate check.

Mighty Smiting [Smite]
    Prerequisite: Smite Evil class ability, Strength 15
    Benefit: Your Smite attacks bypass damage reduction.

Mystic Curse [Curse]
    Benefit: The target of your curse also takes a -2 penalty to caster level.
    Special: When you gain the Greater Curse ability, the caster level penalty improves to -4. The penalties further improved to -6 when you gain the Dire Curse ability.

Natural Caster
    Prerequisite: Desert, Frozen, or Ocean Insight
    Benefit: You gain the benefits of your Desert, Frozen, or Ocean Insight class feature as though you had gained another level in the appropriate class, allowing you to learn two new spells. If you have multiple Insight class features, you must choose one to advance.
    Special: You may take this feat more than once.

Perfect Terror
    Prerequisite: Intimidate 19 ranks, Staredown, Mass Staredown
    Benefit: After your first successful attack in combat, opponents within 30 feet must make a Will save (DC 10 + ½ level + your Charisma modifier) or become shaken for 4d6 rounds. If they fail the save by five or more, they become frightened for 4d6 rounds instead, and if they fail their save by ten or more, they become panicked for 4d6 rounds instead.

Physical Curse [Curse]
    Benefit: You may choose to force targets of your Hexblade curse make a Fortitude save instead of a Will save.

Ranged Smiting [Smite]
    Benefit: You may attempt to Smite Evil with a ranged attack.

Rapid Smite [Smite]
    Benefit: You may attempt to Smite Evil when making an opportunity attack.

Reactive Counterspell
    You can react quickly to counterspells cast by opponents.
    Prerequisites: Improved Initiative, Improved Counterspell.
    Benefits: Once per round, you can counterspell an opponent's spell even if you have not readied an action to do so. This counterspell action takes the place of your regular action for the round. You can't use this feat when flatfooted.
    Normal: Without this feat, you must ready an action each round you wish to use a counterspell (see the Player's Handbook, page 152).

Repeated Smiting [Smite]
    Prerequisite: Smite Evil class ability, BAB +6
    Benefit: As a full round action, you may expend a use of your Smite Evil ability and make a full attack. Each attack you make has a bonus to attack equal to your Charisma modifier, and deals bonus damage equal to your Paladin level. Using this ability counts as Smiting Evil for all intents and purposes.

Shield Cover
    Prerequisite: Shield Specialization (Any)
    Benefit: As a swift action, you may transfer the any bonuses from your shield to an adjacent ally until the beginning of your next turn. If either of you moves or is forced to move so that you are no longer adjacent, the benefit is lost.
    Special: If your natural reach (ie, from size) is more than five feet, you may extend the benefit of this feat to any ally within your reach. A fighter may select this feat as a fighter bonus feat.

Shield Pull
    Prerequisite: Improved Disarm
    Benefit: You may remove a target's shield with a successful disarm attempt, instead of his weapon. The target gets a +4 bonus to resist being de-shielded.

Side Throw
    Prerequisite: Strength 15, Improved Grapple
    Benefit: As a standard action, make a grapple check against one foe within melee range. If you win the check, you may immediately make a bull rush attempt against that foe. You do not provoke any attacks of opportunity for the bull rush, and you do not need to move along with your foe to throw him the full distance. After being moved, your foe must make a Reflex save (DC=the difference between your Bull Rush checks) or be knocked prone.

Staredown
    Prerequisite: Intimidate 9 ranks
    Benefit: You may attempt to demoralize an opponent (see the Intimidate skill for details) in combat as a move action. In addition, you gain a +4 bonus on this check.

Swift Staredown
    Prerequisite: Intimidate 15 ranks, Staredown
    Benefit: You may attempt to demoralize an opponent (see the Intimidate skill for details) in combat as a swift action.

Totemic Shaman
    Prerequisite: Savage 3
    Benefit: You gain an additional Totemic Power ability

Triple Summons
    Prerequisite: Conjurer Level 6, Double Summons
    Benefit: When using your Conjured Ally ability, you may spend four additional daily uses to summon a third creature of the same type.

Watch my Back
    Prerequisite: Combat Expertise
    Benefit: When you fight defensively, use the total defense option, the combat expertise feat, or any other ability where you sacrifice offensive accuracy for defense, you may transfer the defensive bonus to an ally within your reach. The bonus only lasts as long as you are using the ability, and your ally is within your reach.

New Spells
    Spoiler
    Show

Dimension Lock, Lesser
    Abjuration
    Level: Clr 5, Sor/Wiz 5, Conjurer 5
    Components: V, S
    Casting
    Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Area: 20-ft.-radius emanation centered on a point in space
    Duration: One day/level
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: Yes

You create a shimmering emerald barrier that blocks teleportation. Spells in the Teleport subschool do not function within the area-- those within cannot teleport out, and those attempting to teleport in treat the area as if it were a solid object.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2017-11-26 at 08:36 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Base Classes

Spoiler
    Show

Ardent-- A psionic champion who derives mental power from his beliefs.
    Spoiler
    Show

• Increase HD to a d8.
    • Add Climb, Intimidate, Jump, Sense Motive, and Swim to the list of skills, and increase skill points to 4+Int
    • Knows all powers from his mantles.
    • His maximum power level is the same as a Psion, rather than the original ML-based limit, and and he may not take the Substitute Mantle ACF.
    • At 4th level, and every subsequent even-numbered level, he learns one new power from the Psion list at one level higher than normal-- ie, what would have been a 1st level power now costs 3 pp to manifest.

Barbarian-- A savage warrior, capable of channeling his strength into amazing feats of destruction.

Bard-- A musical jack-of-all-trades, mixing music and magic with martial and social skill. Capable of many things, but shines as a leader or supporter.

Beastman-- A shapeshifter par excellence, capable of transforming into a wide variety of animals and vermin. An original creation.

Beguiler-- A smiling trickster, augmenting his natural charm with powerful illusions and enchantments.

Binder-- A mystic who communes with forgotten spirits, granting them a window into the world in exchange for great power.
    Spoiler
    Show

• Add Spot and Listen to the list of class skills, and increase skill points to 4+Int.
    • Expel Vestige is an inherent class feature now, usable 1/2 Charisma modifier times per day. The -10 penalties stack.
    • A feat, Improved Expel Vestige, reduces the penalties by 1/2 your binder level, rounded up, and grants an additional 2 daily uses of Expel Vestige.
    • Abilities with a 5-round cooldown instead move to a d4 round cooldown, similar to a dragon's breath weapon.
    • You may bind 1 vestige/5 class levels, minimum 1 (ie, one vestige at 1st, two at 5th, three at 10rd, etc)

The vestige Zceryll (from the online supplement) no longer grants the Summon Alien ability.

Cleric-- A warrior and a mystic, granted power by his god, with a spell list largely based on his chosen domains.

Conjurer-- A master of planar magic, of summons and teleportation. An original creation.

Crusader-- A skillful warrior, an almost unstoppable champion of a cause.
    Spoiler
    Show

• d12 HD
    • Add Climb, Handle Animal, Listen, Spot, and Swim to the list of class skills, and increase skill points to 4+Int.
    • Can take a standard action to restart his maneuver-granting chain thingie

Dragon Disciple-- A mystic warrior, tapping into the powers of the dragons as he slowly assumes their form. Breath weapons, natural weapons, and invocations galore. An original creation.

Dread Necromancer-- A dark and sinister figure, master of death and undeath alike.

Druid-- A devotee of nature, with spells and powers based on the specific aspects they revere.

Duskblade-- A destructive mage-warrior, capable of channeling spells through his weapon to cause massive devastation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Add Balance, Handle Animal, Profession, Listen, Spot, and Use Magic Device to skill list, boost points to 4+ Int
    • Duskblades know all spells on their list, and cast them spontaneously
    • Revised spell list.
    • Duskblades may channel any melee or ranged touch attack spell through any melee or ranged weapon attack. (Including natural weapons)
    • Arcane Attunement is replaced by a familiar.
    • At 2nd level, they gain Skill Focus (Concentration) instead of the now-defunct Combat Casting.
    • Eclectic Learning: At 4th level, and every subsequent even-numbered level, a Duskblade learns one spell from the Sorcerer/Wizard list. If the spell is a touch attack or ranged touch attack, he learns it one level lower than normal. If it does not, he learns it at its normal level. He must be able to cast the spell at its adjusted level in order to learn it.

Fighter-- The peak of mundane capability. A warrior par excellence, capable of taking the basic aspects of the system and stretching them to the breaking point.

Hexblade-- A dark warrior, wielding the power of misfotune as others wield a sword.

Incarnate-- A warrior-philosopher who channels the mysterious energies of incarnum to augment his own abilities.
    Spoiler
    Show

• Ditch the stupid alignment fluff, because I hate it when alignment restricts build choices. Instead, they're the wizard-analogues, devoted to exploring meldshaping as an art.
    • Add Spot, Listen, Sense Motive, Use Magic Device, Speak Language, and all Knowledge skills to the list of class skills, and increase skill points to 6+Int.
    • Boost their BAB to medium (as the cleric)
    • Double the number of times per day Rapid Meldshaping may be used.
    • Perfect Meldshaper may be used [Wis Mod] times per day.

Mage of the Unseen Hand-- A powerful mage, master of telekinesis and force magic. An original creation.

Marshal-- A simple martial (ha ha) leader, who supports his allies and controls the battlefield through sheer presence.

Monk-- see Swordsage

Night Soul-- A master of stealth and shadow magic.

Paladin-- A pure, noble hero, desiring nothing more than to protect the weak and punish the wicked.

Psion-- An unusual spellcaster who derives his power from the pure workings of the mind.
    Spoiler
    Show

• Add Spot, Listen, and Use Psionic Device to the list of class skills, and increase skill points to 4+Int.
    • At first level, you may choose Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma to use as your casting stat.
    • Knows all powers from his chosen discipline; however, he selects only 1.5 powers known/level, alternating between learning 2 and learning 1 (two powers known chosen at 1st, one at 2nd, two at 3rd, one at 4th, and so on)

Psychic Warrior-- A warrior-mage, augmenting his body with pure mental energy.
    Spoiler
    Show

• Add Spot, Listen, Intimidate, Handle Animal, and Tumble to the list of class skills, and increase skill points to 4+Int.
    • At first level, you may choose Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma to use as your casting stat.
    • Multiply his power points per level by 1.5, rounding up (starting with 1 point/day)

ACF: Soulknife
    Lose: Bonus Feats
    Gain:
    • Mind Blade-- At first level, you can manifest your mind blade. It takes the form of one melee weapon of your choice (chosen at first level and not changeable without the Shape Mind Blade ability), and has an enhancement bonus equal to one-half your level, rounded down. It is always sized appropriately for you. Manifesting your mind blade is a swift action.
    • Throw Mind blade-- At second level, you can throw your mind blade, with a range increment of 30 feet. If you are a high enough level to gain multiple attacks, you may make multiple attacks with your thrown mind blade.
    • Shape Mind Blade-- At fifth level, you may shape your mind blade into any melee weapon you're proficient with as a swift action. You may also shape your blade into two light weapons-- if you do so, the total bonus from your mind blade enhancement that you can apply to each blade is one point lower than normal.
    • Mind Blade Enhancement Starting at 6th level, you may apply special enhancements to your mind blade in lieu of the enchantment bonus. There is no restriction on the list of properties, although you must follow normal magic weapon rules. Changing the enhancement takes one hour.
      Swift Shape Mind Blade-- At 10th level, you may change the shape of your mind blade as a free action, which may even be taken in the middle of a full attack.
    • Swift Mind Blade Enhancement-- At twelfth level, you may change your mind blade enhancement as a standard action.
    • Effortless Mind Blade Enhancement-- At twentieth level, you may change the enhancement of your mind blade as a free action, which may even be taken in the middle of a full attack.

Ranger-- A mobile scout and warrior, master of the wilds.

Ritualist-- The slowest, weakest, and most methodical of mages, but with unrivaled versatility. An original creation.

Rogue-- A brilliant, underhanded trickster. Check your pockets.

Savage-- An animalistic barbarian slowly morphing into a beast himself. An original creation.

Seer-- A master of divination magic, prepared for everything because he's already seen it. An original creation.

Shadowcaster-- An ominous magician who weaves shadows into sinister spells.
    Spoiler
    Show

• Add Listen, Search, Balance, and Tumble to the list of class skills, and increase skill points to 4+Int
    • Gain Trapfinding at first level
    • You gain twice as many uses/day of your abilities as originally suggested.
    • Use the creator's suggested fixes

Shaper-- A mystic warrior capable of altering forms-- his own, his allies, his enemies, and even the environment around him. An original creation.

Shugenja-- An eastern-flavored elementalist
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Add Spot and Listen to the list of class skills, and increase skill points to 4+Int.
    • You know all spells from your element and order, and may cast them spontaneously.
    • At 4th level, and each subsequent even-numbered level, you may learn one spell from a non-prohibited element at one level higher than normal.

Soulborn-- A noble warrior who channels the mysterious energies of incarnum to augment his own abilities.
    Spoiler
    Show

• Add Sense Motive and Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) to their skill list. In addition, alignment no longer determines their bonus skill-- all Soulborn get Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Intimidate.
    • Increase skill points to 4+Int
    • Smite Opposition does Charisma Mod+1d6/level damage, and may be used once every 1d4 rounds. At 9th level, this recharge time improves to 1d4-1 rounds (minimum 1 round), and at 17th to 1d4-2 rounds (minimum 0 rounds)
    • His bonus feats may be drawn from the list of Fighter bonus feats, as well as Incarnum feats.
    • Share Incarnum Defense is continual and at-will-- it affects all adjacent allies automatically, and for [Cha Mod, minimum 1] rounds after they leave.
    • He gets additional bonus feats at 15th and 19th levels (continuing the progression).
    • Gets Rapid Meldshaping as an Incarnate, although he does not get the uses doubled as my Incarnate tweaks describe.

Meldshaping
    A Soulborn has the Meldshaping ability of a Totemist 3 levels lower, with the following exceptions:
    • Save DCs for his soulmelds are based off Charisma, not Wisdom.
    • Soulborn do not get access to the Totem chackra.
    • Soulborn may bind to the Crown chakra at 5th level. (effective meldshaping level 2)
    • He still draws from the list of Soulborn soulmelds.

Otherwise, they follow the Totemist table for access to Chakra binds, Soulmelds/Day, Essentia, and Chakra Binds. Their Meldshaper level is equal to their Soulborn level-3. Thus, a 5th level Soulborn would be able to shape 3 Soulmelds, bind his Crown chakra, have 2 essentia from his class, and a Meldshaper level of 2.

Add the following Soulmelds to their class list:
    • Bloodwar Gauntlets
    • Lightning Gauntlets
    • Incarnate Weapon
    • Adamant Pauldrons
    • Vitality Belt

Remove the following Soulmelds from their class list:
    • ALL Necrocarnate soulmelds
    • Soulspark Familiar
    • Illusion Veil
    • Theraputic Mantle
    • Arcane Focus
    • Flame Cincuture

Swashbuckler-- A daring outlaw, capable of fighting off the law with one hand still around your wife's waist.

Soulblade-- see Psychic Warrior

Swordsage-- A disciplined devotee of the art of the sword
    Spoiler
    Show

• Add Spot to the list of class skills, and correct the "x6 skill points at first level" error.
    • Gain Adaptive Style as a bonus feat at first level
    • AC Bonus functions in light or no armor, not just when wearing light armor.
    • At 10th level, may use Adaptive Style as a standard action

ACF: Unarmed Swordsage
    Lose: Discipline Focus, Martial weapon proficiencies
    Gain:
    • Proficiency with the kama, nunchaku, sai, shuriken, and siangham.
    • Unarmed Strike -- As the Monk class feature)
    • Ki Strike (Su)-- Beginning at 4th level, your unarmed strikes have an enhancement bonus equal to one-fourth your Swordsage level.
    • Wholeness of Body (Ex)-- At 8th level, gain the benefits of the Monk's Purity of Body and Wholeness of Body abilities
    • Diamond Soul (Ex)-- At 12th level, gain SR equal to 12+level. Unlike most forms of SR, you may allow any spell you wish to penetrate your resistance.
    • Timeless Body (Ex)-- At 16th level, as the Monk class feature.
    • Perfect Body (Ex)-- You become an Outsider (Nature), gain a +2 perfection bonus to all ability scores, and DR 10/--.

Totemist-- A savage warrior who channels the mysterious energies of incarnum to augment his own abilities.
    Spoiler
    Show

• Boost HD to a d10
    • Add Listen, Hide and Move Silently to their skill list, along with Knowledge (Geography)
    • No Illiteracy.
    • Rebind Soulmeld may be used twice as often as the table shows.

Warblade-- A flamboyant warrior, master of the art of the sword.
    Spoiler
    Show

• Hit Die reduced to a d10
    • Revised skill list: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Local), Listen, Martial Lore, Profession, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope
    • Class features are based off Charisma, not Intelligence
    • The list of warblade bonus feats includes all fighter bonus feats.
    • You must spend a move action to regain maneuvers; no more attacking-and-recovering. Starting at 10th level, you may recover as a Swift action.

Warden-- A warrior and powerful mage, with magic focused on aiding and protecting himself and his closest allies. An original creation.

Warlock-- A troubled mage, gifted with great power by dark sources.
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Upgrade his HD to a d8
    • Add Hide and Move Silently to their list of class skills
    • His number of invocations known equals his level (see Complete Mage for more choices). He learns one additional invocation at 6th, 11th, and 16th level, when he gains access to a new level of invocation)
    • Add your Charisma modifier to Eldrich Blast damage. At level 10, add twice your Charisma modifier, and at level 20, add three times your Charisma modifier.
    • Eldrich Blast deals 1d6/2 levels damage, as a rogue's sneak attack. You may full attack with Eldrich Blast.

• Eldrich Essence invocations apply to all attacks in the full attack, but only once per target.
    • Blast Shape invocations are standard actions, and thus not compatible with full attacking. Eldrich Spear and Hideous Blow are exceptions to this rule.

ACF: Stalwart Warlock
    • Upgrade his BAB to full
    • Proficiency with all martial weapons
    • Gain the Duskblade's Armored Mage ability, with all its upgrades.
    • Lose Eldrich Blast
    • Eldrich Essence invocations may be used with mundane attacks instead of your Eldrich Blast-- as a standard action, make a single attack (melee or ranged) at your highest BAB. If it hits, it deals damage as normal, and the foe is affected by the invocation.

Warmage-- A walking artillery barrage and master of offensive magic.

Wilder-- An unusual mage, deriving odd powers from pure mental power.
    Spoiler
    Show

• Begins with 2 powers known, and learns one new power every level.
    • Psychic Enervation burns a number of power points equal to twice the original amount surged for.
    • Elude touch applies to all attacks, not just touch attacks.
    • Can replace Volatile mind (and subsequent improvements) with psionic bonus feats.

Prestige Classes

Spoiler
    Show

Arcane Theurge-- A dedicated arcanist, merging the teachings of two different classes. An original creation.

Frost Mage-- Mystic champion of snow and ice, mastering the magic of the winter.
    Spoiler
    Show

• Strike "arcane" from the requirments-- you must be able to cast first level spells, period.
    • Advances spellcasting at all levels except 1 and 5.
    • New class feature at first level: Frozen Insight-- Every time you gain a level of this class, you select two spells described in Frostburn and add them to your list of spells known.

• If you are adding spells to the Cleric, Druid, Paladin, or Ranger lists, the spells must come from the matching class list.
    • If you are adding spells to the Bard list, spells can come from either the Bard or Sorcerer/Wizard lists, taking whichever version is lower level if there is a disagreement.
    • If you are adding spells to the list of a different arcane caster, select your spells from the Sorcerer/Wizard list.
    • If you are adding spells to the list of a different divine caster, select your spells from the Druid list.

Mystic Healer-- A powerful mage, dedicated to the cause of Life. An original creation.

Sand Shaper-- Mystic champion of heat and sand, mastering the magic of the desert.
    Spoiler
    Show

• New entry requirements: Knowledge (Arcana) 5 ranks, Knowledge (Nature) or Survival 5 ranks, Caster Level 5, Drift Magic.
    • Revised Desert Insight-- Every time you gain a level of this class, you select two spells described in Sandstorm and add them to your list of spells known.

• If you are adding spells to the Cleric, Druid, Paladin, or Ranger lists, the spells must come from the matching class list.
    • If you are adding spells to the Bard list, spells can come from either the Bard or Sorcerer/Wizard lists, taking whichever version is lower level if there is a disagreement.
    • If you are adding spells to the list of a different arcane caster, select your spells from the Sorcerer/Wizard list.
    • If you are adding spells to the list of a different divine caster, select your spells from the Druid list.

Wave Keeper-- Mystic champion of wind and wave, mastering the magic of the ocean.
    Spoiler
    Show

• New entry requirements: Knowledge (Arcana) 5 ranks, Knowledge (Nature) or Survival 5 ranks, Caster Level 5, Aquatic Spellcasting (Lords of Magic), Ship's Mage (Stormwreck) or Steam Magic (Stormwreck)
    • New class feature at first level: Ocean Insight-- Every time you gain a level of this class, you select two spells described in Stormwreckand add them to your list of spells known.
    • Wave Master may be used a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier at second level, and at-will at 7th.
    • Wave Form lets you take the form of a Small Elemental at 4th, a Medium Elemental at 6th, a Large Elemental at 8th, at a Huge Elemental at 10th. It may be used for a total of 1 hour/day/class level, split up however you wist.
    • Call of the Abyss may be used a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2018-07-30 at 08:29 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I like the changes. I've been working on something similar for my e8 campaign setting. One thing I'll ask is why not give shield specialization along with the +1 bab feats? Its an annoying feat tax that really doesn't do anything. Also instead of removing the feats like acrobatic stealthy etc, I found a page on minmax that edits them to make it useful, I'll post the link in a bit in case you're interested.

edit: Here it is! We've used this at my table in two different campaigns and everyone loved it both times.
    Last edited by ddude987; 2014-02-03 at 06:15 PM.
    4/10/2013 is this first day I used blue text. Isn't that soooo cool
    Quirble muffins - with credit to Xervous and myself. Now with 50 cent royalties
    I just learned about dawn of worlds and its so cool! Anyone who likes group worldbuilding, check it out!
    Official member of the Rudisplorker guild, the new guy of the bunch. All hail Orcus!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Magic
    Spoiler
    Show

• You cannot cast defensively.

Ban List

Spells
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]Celerity, and derivatives|Player’s Handbook 2[/table]
    1: The Site which must not be named lists Celerity as being on Bards, Sorcerers, and Wizard (and by extension, ranger and paladin) spell lists. Changing it to Bard and paladin would grant them their power without giving goodies to Sorc/Mage?. Ranger would be included if your ranger had casting

2: No Defensive casting hurts bard and paladin.
    Last edited by toapat; 2014-02-03 at 06:48 PM.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ddude987 View Post
    One thing I'll ask is why not give shield specialization along with the +1 bab feats? Its an annoying feat tax that really doesn't do anything.
    Mmm. I'll add it to the list of deletes, I think-- the free feats are for things that shouldn't require a feat, rather than those that don't really add anything. But good catch.

Also instead of removing the feats like acrobatic stealthy etc, I found a page on minmax that edits them to make it useful, I'll post the link in a bit in case you're interested.
    Ehh... those look nice, but I don't really feel like it's worth it somehow. I'd rather not add a huge list of new skills...

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    1: The Site which must not be named lists Celerity as being on Bards, Sorcerers, and Wizard (and by extension, ranger and paladin) spell lists. Changing it to Bard and paladin would grant them their power without giving goodies to Sorc/Mage?. Ranger would be included if your ranger had casting
    The class rewrites have all the power they need, and the Celerity line isn't good for anyone.

2: No Defensive casting hurts bard and paladin.
    Whoops, didn't think of that. My bad.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Why have linked classes instead of the PF merged classes? Any reason to scale TWF instead of just changing the feat to give offhand attacks whenever new mainhand attack is granted? Why no scaling weapon focus?

This is fairly similar to what my favorite set of houserules was but a little wordier and not as picky. Seems to work well enough. I'd still consider adding alot but for a basic approach I think it does the job. I find it interesting you've given up on the wizard/sorcerer despite having made fixes for them.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

The class rewrites have all the power they need, and the Celerity line isn't good for anyone.
    The celerity line is good for Paladin and ranger, and possibly bard (i dont know that much about their spell list) (Absolutely correct about being broke as a joke for Sorc/Wizard), primarily because they have extremely limited uses for their swift actions, if any, otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfstone View Post
    I find it interesting you've given up on the wizard/sorcerer despite having made fixes for them.
    i suspect Grod came to the conclusion i have, in that the Wizard, that is to say, the mage who can cast every spell known in the universe, is itself an inherently imbalanced concept because you are letting people play with too many options
    Last edited by toapat; 2014-02-03 at 07:45 PM.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

Drow avatar @ myself

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Why have linked classes instead of the PF merged classes? Any reason to scale TWF instead of just changing the feat to give offhand attacks whenever new mainhand attack is granted? Why no scaling weapon focus?
    Pathfinder's merged skills is certainly a more elegant way of doing things, but trying to cram that into the existing 3.5 framework is just messy. You have to deal with all sorts of items, spells, and PrCs that expect the skills to be separate. There are way too many to handle individually, and I'd rather not force DMs to try to interpret a set of guidelines if I don't have to.

That's one of the big rules here-- try to maintain compatibility with the original framework. No need to rewrite TWF when I can just grant the extra feats for free. Weapon Focus should go on the list of "free" feats the same way.

I find it interesting you've given up on the wizard/sorcerer despite having made fixes for them.
    I do still like my fixes, but they don't really do enough-- the classes are still T2, and can still cover too many bases. Mostly, I just like results of the fixed-list caster project better. It's simpler to make characters, harder to mess 'em up, you wind up with more options in play, you've got better thematics...

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    The celerity line is good for Paladin and ranger, and possibly bard (i dont know that much about their spell list) (Absolutely correct about being broke as a joke for Sorc/Wizard), primarily because they have extremely limited uses for their swift actions, if any, otherwise.
    I wasn't saying that they're not good spells, I'm saying that they're too good. From a game balance perspective, it's bad for any class to have 'em. Especially since I've pumped up said classes so much.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Pathfinder's merged skills is certainly a more elegant way of doing things, but trying to cram that into the existing 3.5 framework is just messy. You have to deal with all sorts of items, spells, and PrCs that expect the skills to be separate. There are way too many to handle individually, and I'd rather not force DMs to try to interpret a set of guidelines if I don't have to.

That's one of the big rules here-- try to maintain compatibility with the original framework. No need to rewrite TWF when I can just grant the extra feats for free. Weapon Focus should go on the list of "free" feats the same way.
    Perhaps. I will admit the houserules I use modify 3.5 to an extent that it should really be labeled 3.B for Brew but they do work. Instead of fixing classes there is alot more focus on altering blasty spells to be blasty and removing loopholes.

One thing I think you could use here is the alterations to ranged weapons. Mainly making them more useable and less shafted. An example from the rules I use. These are the changes to crossbows.
    • Crossbows can be made to utilize the user's Strength bonus by mechanisms that provide more resistance, and recoil when fired that requires a stronger user in order to utilize properly. This otherwise works just like composite bows, including the +75 (light) or +100 (heavy) gold per + of strength bonus on the 'pull'.
    • Crossbows, but not bows can ignore a number of points of armor or natural armor bonus equal to the strength bonus of the crossbow or the strength bonus of the wielder, whichever is the lower. Crossbows do not bypass AC that is not armor or natural armor, and if the target has less armor or natural armor than you have penetrating power the remainder has no effect. Yes, this does effectively give you Str and Dex to hit with a crossbow against armored foes.
    Yours to decline(slightly more detailed than you might be looking for) or use.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

One thing I think you could use here is the alterations to ranged weapons. Mainly making them more useable and less shafted. An example from the rules I use. These are the changes to crossbows.
    Mmm. Well, I've given ranged power attack and dex to AC, both major demands for archersm and freed up your first two feats by cutting point blank shot and giving precise shot for free. Crossbowmen get a free rapid reload, and crossbow sniper is rendered irrelevant. Do you think I still need more?

Oh, and I finished updating the Class section with links, tweaks, and blurbs.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2014-02-03 at 10:27 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Shields grant a miss chance equal of 5%, plus an additional 5% for every iterative attack you can make during a full attack. Tower shields grant an additional 10% miss chance, while bucklers grant 5% less miss chance than normal.
    Does this mean that haste gives you bonus miss chance? And taking Improved Buckler Defense/Two Weapon Fighting? What about tons of natural attacks? Or is the intent to only get it from iterative attacks from BAB?

Speaking of two weapon fighting, do you need the prerequisites to get bonus feats from your table? Like does getting Imp/Greater TWFing for free mean you don't need an absurd amount of dex to be a TWFer?

Edit: Soulknife ACF is too harsh on TWFing. Even the soulknife itself only drops the enhancement bonus by 1 on each weapon if I remember correctly. Cutting them in half is just mean.

Edit2: Re: Binder
    Does Improved Expel Vestige reduce the total penalty by 1/2 binder level, or the penalty per expulsion? Either way, the feat's pretty weak because even a bad binding doesn't hinder you much, if at all.

How does the d4 round cooldown interact with the feat that reduces the cooldown time by 1 round? Consider making it 1d4+1, with the feat removing the +1?

Binder feels the weakest in those first few levels. Though Expel Vestige as a class feature may make this not necessary. Hard to say without playing that way. I would however still consider making the second one come at level 2, with 1 more every 5 levels after this. This lets you have two at first level with a feat, and with the Improved Binding feat (+2 binder level) you can have effective binder level 22 at level 20 for an extra Binding there.

Edit3: Wow those are some huge buffs to the Wilder. Is there any reason to play a Psion when Wilder has similar powers known and Enervation has basically no drawback? Wilder was weak before, but in a few lines you introduced some really major buffs.
    Last edited by Seerow; 2014-02-03 at 11:09 PM.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Does this mean that haste gives you bonus miss chance? And taking Improved Buckler Defense/Two Weapon Fighting? What about tons of natural attacks? Or is the intent to only get it from iterative attacks from BAB?
    Iterative attacks from BAB-- I'll clarify that.

Speaking of two weapon fighting, do you need the prerequisites to get bonus feats from your table? Like does getting Imp/Greater TWFing for free mean you don't need an absurd amount of dex to be a TWFer?
    Nope, no prerequisites on the free feats. Again, will clarify.

Edit: Soulknife ACF is too harsh on TWFing. Even the soulknife itself only drops the enhancement bonus by 1 on each weapon if I remember correctly. Cutting them in half is just mean.
    I can fix that.

Edit2: Re: Binder
    Does Improved Expel Vestige reduce the total penalty by 1/2 binder level, or the penalty per expulsion? Either way, the feat's pretty weak because even a bad binding doesn't hinder you much, if at all.
    It's mostly an RP thing, aye. Would it be worth it if it removed the penalty altogether?

How does the d4 round cooldown interact with the feat that reduces the cooldown time by 1 round? Consider making it 1d4+1, with the feat removing the +1?
    If you get a result of 0 rounds, the ability is usable again that round, if you have the actions to do so.

Binder feels the weakest in those first few levels. Though Expel Vestige as a class feature may make this not necessary. Hard to say without playing that way. I would however still consider making the second one come at level 2, with 1 more every 5 levels after this. This lets you have two at first level with a feat, and with the Improved Binding feat (+2 binder level) you can have effective binder level 22 at level 20 for an extra Binding there.
    I think Expel Vestige as a class feature makes it work. You're mostly suffering from versatility and slow recharge times, and I've helped both. Besides, you can get by for the first few levels with just a decent Str/Dex score and a martial weapon proficiency.

Edit3: Wow those are some huge buffs to the Wilder. Is there any reason to play a Psion when Wilder has similar powers known and Enervation has basically no drawback? Wilder was weak before, but in a few lines you introduced some really major buffs.
    ...for some reason, I thought the psion had about 2 powers known/level. I'm not dropping powers known, but I can weaken Enervation again.

Races are up.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I'm saying that they're too good.
    the reason Celerity is "too good" is because Wizard and Sorcerer trading out weak spellcasts for more powerful ones or their own safety well outstripped the capacity of anyone. it allowed them to take an already strong action economy, and make it significantly stronger. This is what really broke them, is that most of the people who need much more complex and diverse turns, IE, the melees, actually were stuck with basically Move > Attack (standard) > endturn.

For Paladin and Ranger (again i cant Yay/Nay Bard because i dont have sufficient grasp of the spell list to do so), Celerity and lesser allowed them to invest actions that they are incapable of using almost entirely (Paladin only when they have Battle Blessing (and detect evil in your homebrew), Ranger with a smidgen of spells of which the only notable is Swift Haste.) At least within the list on your paladin homebrew, Adding celerity is not an instant slot like with a vanilla paladin, you have options for spells

Drow avatar @ myself

16. - Top - End - #16

I really dig the races. Are those something you've posted in the past?

Half-Orc seems kind of weak compared to the others. The Orc Ferocity ability is really pretty meh. It will almost never trigger, and when it does it's nearly time to retire your character anyway, because you staying up and continuing to fight means you're still a target when any small number of damage will take you to dead dead. Working around that with something like making the Orc immune to all damage for that round is something you probably don't want to give out to a PC race at level 1 though.

I'm also not sure why you nerfed the Kobold's movement speed from 30ft down to 20ft. If you're standardizing the movement speeds based on size, then Dwarf should have been brought up and Halfling shouldn't have gotten the buff to 30ft. Kobold's slight build is cool and I love the ability to squeeze into smaller tunnels and get better hide checks, but is there any situation ever, even in your house rules, where a smaller weapon is more beneficial? If not, the line about being able to use a smaller weapon is extraneous and can just be removed.

On the topic of movement speed, while I like what you did with the Dwarf, could you maybe bump its move speed back up to 30, and if you really want to reflect its traditional slowness, reduce their run multiplier to x3 from x4? That way the Dwarf can keep up with anyone else in typical mobility, but isn't as fast in a sprint to get away. Keeps the theme while not being quite so crippling for a melee character.

Also, maybe switch the free Dwarf feat from Diehard to Endurance? Diehard as a similar problem to the Orc Special ability, while Endurance is very much in character for Dwarves, situationally useful, and a prerequisite to some feats that a Dwarf might be interested in (Offhand, Steadfast Determinination is a big one. But there's at least a dozen feats that use Endurance, and probably more prestige classes. Nothing that I'm aware of requires Diehard), thus saving them a feat tax.

It's mostly an RP thing, aye. Would it be worth it if it removed the penalty altogether?
    It'd have a more demenstrable effect, but since the penalty you're offsetting is still mostly RP, how useful it is is going to vary wildly from group to group. I'd leave it with the penalty reduction as you have it, and tie some other perk to it to make it more appealing. (say let you expel two vestiges at once, or even just +1-3 uses of Expel Vestige, a la Extra Turning and the like).

If you get a result of 0 rounds, the ability is usable again that round, if you have the actions to do so.
    Fair enough. I don't think most binders have the action economy breakage access to take advantage of that, but even having a 50% chance of your ability being available next round is a great deal.

...for some reason, I thought the psion had about 2 powers known/level. I'm not dropping powers known, but I can weaken Enervation again.
    Yeah, that works. Leave Enervation as dazing, but keep your reduced power point loss from enervation maybe?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I really dig the races. Are those something you've posted in the past?
    Nah, I just made 'em up tonight. I had an old version, but it wasn't this compact.

Half-Orc seems kind of weak compared to the others. The Orc Ferocity ability is really pretty meh. It will almost never trigger, and when it does it's nearly time to retire your character anyway, because you staying up and continuing to fight means you're still a target when any small number of damage will take you to dead dead. Working around that with something like making the Orc immune to all damage for that round is something you probably don't want to give out to a PC race at level 1 though.
    My first thought had been rage (with a power-up if you're using barbarian rage; maybe powerful build), but that made it seem too much like a Barbarian shoe-in. What do you think? Any ideas?

I'm also not sure why you nerfed the Kobold's movement speed from 30ft down to 20ft. If you're standardizing the movement speeds based on size, then Dwarf should have been brought up and Halfling shouldn't have gotten the buff to 30ft. Kobold's slight build is cool and I love the ability to squeeze into smaller tunnels and get better hide checks, but is there any situation ever, even in your house rules, where a smaller weapon is more beneficial? If not, the line about being able to use a smaller weapon is extraneous and can just be removed.
    Probably because I didn't notice that they had an unusually high movement speed for a small creature. Slight Build was coped word-for-word from a web enhancement.

On the topic of movement speed, while I like what you did with the Dwarf, could you maybe bump its move speed back up to 30, and if you really want to reflect its traditional slowness, reduce their run multiplier to x3 from x4? That way the Dwarf can keep up with anyone else in typical mobility, but isn't as fast in a sprint to get away. Keeps the theme while not being quite so crippling for a melee character.
    Not a bad idea.

Also, maybe switch the free Dwarf feat from Diehard to Endurance?
    Diehard seemed marginally more useful on its own, but good point about PrCs.

It'd have a more demenstrable effect, but since the penalty you're offsetting is still mostly RP, how useful it is is going to vary wildly from group to group. I'd leave it with the penalty reduction as you have it, and tie some other perk to it to make it more appealing. (say let you expel two vestiges at once, or even just +1-3 uses of Expel Vestige, a la Extra Turning and the like).
    I can dig it.

Thanks for all the feedback.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

My first thought had been rage (with a power-up if you're using barbarian rage; maybe powerful build), but that made it seem too much like a Barbarian shoe-in. What do you think? Any ideas?
    I thought along the same lines, but agree with you that it's probably not a good way to go. They're already getting a strength bonus, pushing too much more in that direction is shoehorning the race.

I don't have any good ideas offhand, but I'll sleep on it and see if I have anything better tomorrow.

Probably because I didn't notice that they had an unusually high movement speed for a small creature. Slight Build was coped word-for-word from a web enhancement.
    Fair enough. And I never saw that web enhancement before. Learn something new every day.

Though it seems like that ability in of itself was a copy/paste of powerful build, it's the only reason I can think of for the mention of weapons at all.

Diehard seemed marginally more useful on its own, but good point about PrCs.
    Eh even outside of PrCs/Feats, I'd rather have Endurance (sleeping in armor isn't generally worth a feat, but I'll take it for free. Bonuses to con/fort checks are just gravy. Diehard is one of those deals where using it is more likely to get your character killed permanently, so actually makes you worse except in a last ditch effort to save the party from TPK that will happen roughly as often as never).

Thanks for all the feedback.
    No problem. You have lots of fun stuff up here. While we don't always see eye to eye on class balance, I still enjoy reading your work.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I like that you made the Kobolds more playable (they're my favourite race but man, that -6 for +2 stung hard).

One thing though. I think you should specify that the craft bonus they get only applies to trapmaking. Also, I like that you payed homage to their mining roots with the pick and greatpick proficiency, but the Kobold's signature weapon is a spear. Which is weird because they kinda suck with them (they get a Dex bonus with a non-finesse-able weapon).

Maybe you could add that they treat Greatspears as martial weapons? Or allow them to use Dex with them somehow?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TripleD View Post
    I like that you made the Kobolds more playable (they're my favourite race but man, that -6 for +2 stung hard).

One thing though. I think you should specify that the craft bonus they get only applies to trapmaking. Also, I like that you payed homage to their mining roots with the pick and greatpick proficiency, but the Kobold's signature weapon is a spear. Which is weird because they kinda suck with them (they get a Dex bonus with a non-finesse-able weapon).

Maybe you could add that they treat Greatspears as martial weapons? Or allow them to use Dex with them somehow?
    Spears are already simple weapons, and without a strength penalty they no longer really suck with them. I can add Greatspears, though.

Also, dug through my 'brew to collect a bunch of new feats I'd made.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2014-02-04 at 11:55 AM.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

I'm curious about:
    "I believe in plot. Not necessarily DM-scripted plots, but the game should be about the heroes pursuing their goals, without meaningless distractions like random encounters. To that end, I don't particularly care about certain abilities like rope trick and teleport that help players dodge enemies when traveling. We only have so much game time, after all-- there's no need to waste it on meaningless, randomly-rolled fights."

Specifically, I think these spells really invalidate a lot of possible plots and game styles. It is difficult to race places when teleportation is available, especially combined with scrying. Allowing casual TP promotes strike force style play, I feel, where PCs power up, buff up, TP in, nuke everything, then TP out. With scrolls and stuff, this can come online very early.

Rope Trick is kinda like TP, but also invalidates "wandering treasure hunters" to some extent, because the intelligent thing to do is go into a dungeon, do 1 maybe 2 encounters, sling around all of your daily powers, then rest. RT makes it trivial to do this. If you have no time crunch, you can fairly easily turn into "SWAT Team Wizards" that are always operating at full capacity.

Do you not feel those are issues?
    Thanks Gigi Digi for the avatar.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NotScaryBats View Post
    Specifically, I think these spells really invalidate a lot of possible plots and game styles.
    I don't really want to get into a big conceptual argument about that sort of thing here, although I'd be happy to continue things through private messages. But what I will say is: "that's OK." The spells don't invalidate plots, they just force them to remain at low-levels where they belong. If you don't feel like you can come up with engaging plots when teleportation is a thing, then ban the spells-- or better yet, play E6 and run your low-level advantures forever.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Grod

You mentioned that you where taking suggestions for uncommon races; Could you by chance find a Drow?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Chewy, if you were a real Drow, you'd be a Sorcerer/Alchemist with a nack for explosions and a prechant for won ton destruction and joyful mayhem. ~ My drunken DM

Originally posted by BRC
    Few people who want to play a monk actually want to play a monk (as in a semi-mystic kung fu master). What they (or at least I) want to play is somebody who can punch a dragon to death.
    Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    Raptors are serious business.

24. - Top - End - #24

I'd like to see an LA+0 goliath. Given the current race template I could see it working something like:

Spoiler: Goliath
    Show

Goliath
    [ul][*]Medium[*]Base land speed of 30 feet[*]+2 Str[*]Racial Skills: Climb and Jump. Racial skills always count as class skills. When rolling a racial skill, roll twice and take the better result.
    Weapon Familiarity: High Elves treat Longswords and Shortswords as simple weapons.[*]Powerful Build: The physical stature of goliath lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a goliath is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the goliath is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A goliath is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A goliath can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
    [/ul]

I would have liked to get the Mountain Movement ability in there (jump from standing as if you had a running start) and make Sense Motive a racial skill instead of Jump, but I was afraid Powerful Build alone was already pushing it for a LA+0.

Also I still have nothing regarding the Half-Orc. I'm thinking staying with the survivability theme would be best. Maybe Orc Ferocity instead of giving a diehard equivalent, gives you a second wind equivalent (ie spend a swift action, regain some HP and gain the benefit of fighting defensively for a round, once a day).

Eh... now that I think of it that sounds more like a dwarf thing than an Orc thing.

What if they gain something along the lines of Zhentarim Fighter benefits as a racial feature? They already get intimidate as a race skill, maybe let them intimidate an enemy as a swift action in combat?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

I don't really want to get into a big conceptual argument about that sort of thing here, although I'd be happy to continue things through private messages. But what I will say is: "that's OK." The spells don't invalidate plots, they just force them to remain at low-levels where they belong. If you don't feel like you can come up with engaging plots when teleportation is a thing, then ban the spells-- or better yet, play E6 and run your low-level advantures forever.
    Oh, okay. You basically said 'these spells make random encounters not a thing, and I think random encounters are lame, so I don't care that these spells make random encounters not a thing'

I didn't realize you meant all that other stuff. In light of that, yeah those spells aren't really an issue.
    Thanks Gigi Digi for the avatar.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Chewy View Post
    You mentioned that you where taking suggestions for uncommon races; Could you by chance find a Drow?
    Yeah, they're probably iconic enough. +2 Int, racial skills in hide and intimidate, weapon familiarity in darkness as an SLA 1/day, a bonus to saves verses spells...

I would have liked to get the Mountain Movement ability in there (jump from standing as if you had a running start) and make Sense Motive a racial skill instead of Jump, but I was afraid Powerful Build alone was already pushing it for a LA+0.
    Hey, give 'em Leap of the Heavens as a racial bonus feat. BOOM, LA+0 goliaths. (We're trading a useful active ability for an extra-useful passive; seems alright to me). Probably drop the weapon familiarity, to be a little safer.

What if they gain something along the lines of Zhentarim Fighter benefits as a racial feature? They already get intimidate as a race skill, maybe let them intimidate an enemy as a swift action in combat?
    Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by NotScaryBats View Post
    Oh, okay. You basically said 'these spells make random encounters not a thing, and I think random encounters are lame, so I don't care that these spells make random encounters not a thing'

I didn't realize you meant all that other stuff. In light of that, yeah those spells aren't really an issue.
    I should probably edit the original post.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2014-02-04 at 03:19 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

O M G!!!!!!

i love your Savage, its concept is something I had an idea about for a new barbarian a while back.

i wish i had known about this earlier it really could have helped my little brain :)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ngilop View Post
    O M G!!!!!!

i love your Savage, its concept is something I had an idea about for a new barbarian a while back.

i wish i had known about this earlier it really could have helped my little brain :)
    Thanks. I'm pretty proud of him myself.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

smile Re: Giants and Graveyards: Grod's collected 3.5 revisions

I like it. Just a couple of things:

You've banned the Endurance feat, but put it as the bonus feat for dwarves. Might I suggest either Improved Sunder or your Watch My Back feat as a replacement?

Furthermore, would it be possible for you to create Freedom, Tyranny, and Slaughter (from Unearthed Arcana, CG, LE, and CE respectively) versions of your (awesome) Paladin?
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    I like it. Just a couple of things:

You've banned the Endurance feat, but put it as the bonus feat for dwarves. Might I suggest either Improved Sunder or your Watch My Back feat as a replacement?

Furthermore, would it be possible for you to create Freedom, Tyranny, and Slaughter (from Unearthed Arcana, CG, LE, and CE respectively) versions of your (awesome) Paladin?
    a) D'oh! I've tried to steer away from non-core feats, but Improved Sunder, perhaps...
    b) Mmm... maybe... if I have time...
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show