New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Read: The Dungeons and Dragons 5e Monster Manual!

Quote Originally Posted by N810 View Post
    Ancient Greek generally lacked the large vocabulary of modern languages.
    Is that a fact, or a generalization? I can imagine it's more a case of having less examples of ancient languages than modern that we assume a lower lexicon.
    Spoiler: Quotes from the Playground
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    In fact, I will here formally propose the Zeroth Rule of Gaming: No rule in any game shall be interpreted in a way that breaks the game if it is possible to interpret that rule in a way that does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Good old Jes, the infamous Doppelganger MILF.

(aka "The Doppelbanger")
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    Shhhhh, shhhhhh. Be calm, inhale the beholder's wacky float gas and stop worrying.

Adapting published monsters to Eberron: Naturalist's Guide to Eberron Latest: Annis Hag

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Regitnui View Post
    Is that a fact, or a generalization? I can imagine it's more a case of having less examples of ancient languages than modern that we assume a lower lexicon.
    well, if by "modern languages" you actually mean "english", it's fairly probable. there's a lot of english words. more than double the next closest language as i understand it.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SharkForce View Post
    well, if by "modern languages" you actually mean "english", it's fairly probable. there's a lot of english words. more than double the next closest language as i understand it.
    That is actually an urban legend because there's so many different ways to count number of words.

For example, in German it is perfectly valid to simply start string words together and create a new word, on the spot. You could write creatinganewwordonthespot and use it throughout a discussion like this.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #634
    Bugbear in the Playground

I was trying to be Vague, but yea mostly Greek to English.
    English has borrowed words from dozens of different languages,
    so we end up with a ton of words that mean basically the same thing.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by N810 View Post
    I was trying to be Vague, but yea mostly Greek to English.
    English has borrowed words from dozens of different languages,
    so we end up with a ton of words that mean basically the same thing.
    English Degree speaking; the English language is quite the aberration when it comes to languages. If French or German are elves and dwarves, English is a gibbering mouther. Almost everywhere in the world speaks English to some degree, and even amongst the primary English speakers there's a wide variety of lexical terms. Compare "that girl is beautiful" (standard) to "that shelia's a beaut" (Australian), "Daai girl is nxa, ne?" (South African), "Hey, that's a bonnie lass" (UK), and "dayum, that girl's fine" (US). It's getting to the point where a strong case can be made for English now being a mutually intelligible family of languages as opposed to one coherent language. Of course, there's no danger of English fully splitting as long as the global society remains intact, even if the UK and the US disagree on the definition of pants.

Using English as your yardstick for other language's complexity, especially extinct or ancient languages, is a bit like using the Great Lakes to judge bodies of fresh water . You can see the connection, but it's a totally skewed reference point.
    Show
    In fact, I will here formally propose the Zeroth Rule of Gaming: No rule in any game shall be interpreted in a way that breaks the game if it is possible to interpret that rule in a way that does not.

(aka "The Doppelbanger")
    Shhhhh, shhhhhh. Be calm, inhale the beholder's wacky float gas and stop worrying.

Adapting published monsters to Eberron: Naturalist's Guide to Eberron Latest: Annis Hag

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Regitnui View Post
    English Degree speaking; the English language is quite the aberration when it comes to languages. If French or German are elves and dwarves, English is a gibbering mouther. Almost everywhere in the world speaks English to some degree, and even amongst the primary English speakers there's a wide variety of lexical terms. Compare "that girl is beautiful" (standard) to "that shelia's a beaut" (Australian), "Daai girl is nxa, ne?" (South African), "Hey, that's a bonnie lass" (UK), and "dayum, that girl's fine" (US). It's getting to the point where a strong case can be made for English now being a mutually intelligible family of languages as opposed to one coherent language. Of course, there's no danger of English fully splitting as long as the global society remains intact, even if the UK and the US disagree on the definition of pants.

Using English as your yardstick for other language's complexity, especially extinct or ancient languages, is a bit like using the Great Lakes to judge bodies of fresh water . You can see the connection, but it's a totally skewed reference point.
    I still think my favorite description for English was 'English mugs other languages in dark alleys, going through their pockets for loose vocabulary and grammar.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    I still think my favorite description for English was 'English mugs other languages in dark alleys, going through their pockets for loose vocabulary and grammar.'
    Yep. That's pretty much how it works. English doesn't have a word for something, it just rips the word from the natives and rams it into place with a mallet, lubricant, and a few stomps for good measure.

That's also my favourite quote on the English language ever.
    Show

(aka "The Doppelbanger")

8. - Top - End - #638

EvilClericGuy

Not that the language discussion isn't interesting, but it isn't really the topic of this thread. Speaking of which...

Darkmantle
    Darkmantle is relatively new monster, first appearing in 3e Monster Manual. It's basically Vampire Squid that evolved to fly and live in the Underdark instead of the depths of sea. It's nothing special, but it's the sort of creature I like: it's not yet another humanoid race, or some weird superinteligent monster, it feels like (super)natural part of the fantasy ecology (of course, it's predator, which brings the problem with lack of prey animals in D&D, but that's related to the fact that deers & co. usualy aren't the kind of creatures that would face adventurers in combat).

Art
    Like the rest of the entry, the illustration is pretty bland. It shows the Darkmantle just floating in the air, lighted from somewhere above...it does not looks like it's in its normal enviroment. I think it would be better if it was shown hanging on the ceiling (like the smaller, monochrome picture in the corner of the page), or wrapped around someone's head. The triangular tips of the tentacles looks weird, and the tentacles itself would look better if they were more distinct from the "skirt". And what's up with all the eyes? All said, I prefer the 3e version more, however, the lighter brown color may work better as a camouflage, as it's more similar to how stalactites looks.

Purpose & tactics
    Darkmantle is an ambush predator, plain and simple. It hangs on the ceiling of some cave, pretending it's a stalactite until something tasty walks nearby. Thanks to its echolocation, it can find the prey even in the dark caverns it lives in, before it can be even seen. Then it drops down, wraps itself around the target's head and try to suffocate it and eat its face. The tactic doesn't work if it doesn't have advantage, and it can't attack anyone else while it's attached...which means it's deadly against lone target, but pretty useless against groups. I'm a little surprised that it doesn't share the damage taken with the target if it's attacked while wrapped around its head, though...it would make it a little more dangerous to take out. If the ambush doesn't work, it can drop its Darkness Aura, like squid would the ink cloud, and either continue attacking the blinded targets while not being bothered itself thanks to blindsight, or escape to try again later. Otherwise, it's damage and toughness is a little weak for the creature of its CR...it's a gimmick monster that's not much of a threat outside its intended role.

Fluff
    Fluff is very short...it explains Darkmantle's combat tactics and mentions it is common both in Underdark and Shadowfell. The comparison to bats feels weird, though: bats are very much active hunters, Darkmantle's tactic and prey is very different. The only vaguely interesting part is that some creatures train Darkmantles as guardians, but otherwise, its very boring.

Hooks
    Darkmantle is a random encounter monster, or a sort of a living trap, not really something you would base an adventure around.

Perhaps some alchemist or wizard is interested in the Darkmantle's ability to create Darkness aura and wants few hunted down for experimentation? It's not even much of a challenge to catch few of those things live, unless you're level 1...and maybe not even then.

Verdict
    I like the monster, however, the whole entry feels a little redundant. With monsters like Winter Wolf being shoved with other animals, I think Darkmantle would fit right in there.
    Last edited by JackPhoenix; 2016-02-25 at 07:41 PM.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

They're good as a mixed unit encounter. A couple of darkmantles hang on the edge of the cavern, waiting for battle to commence between the PCs and the darkmantles' trainers (be they drow or svirfneblin or what have you). A round or two in, the darkmantles drop down onto rogues or wizards hanging around in the back lines, crippling the PCs' offensive abilities while forcing them to scramble to coalesce and get the darkmantles off of their vulnerable party members (which in turn makes them vulnerable to AoE spells). It's an effective tactic even at well above the nominal CR of the monster.

10. - Top - End - #640

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    They're good as a mixed unit encounter. A couple of darkmantles hang on the edge of the cavern, waiting for battle to commence between the PCs and the darkmantles' trainers (be they drow or svirfneblin or what have you). A round or two in, the darkmantles drop down onto rogues or wizards hanging around in the back lines, crippling the PCs' offensive abilities while forcing them to scramble to coalesce and get the darkmantles off of their vulnerable party members (which in turn makes them vulnerable to AoE spells). It's an effective tactic even at well above the nominal CR of the monster.
    The problem with that is Darkmantle's animal intelligence, which prevents it from selecting target effectively, especially combined with its lack of Darkvision, which makes friend/foe recognition harder...I don't think there's much of a difference in the sonar signature of a drow beastmaster and invading adventurer. You would need to control them directly to aim them in combat, and they are monstrosities, not beasts, so Speak with Animals doesn't work. The Darkness Aura would also blind its handlers just as its prey.

They work great as a living trap or an area denial, but not as much as combat companions.
    Last edited by JackPhoenix; 2016-02-25 at 09:36 PM.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    The problem with that is Darkmantle's animal intelligence, which prevents it from selecting target effectively, especially combined with its lack of Darkvision, which makes friend/foe recognition harder...I don't think there's much of a difference in the sonar signature of a drow beastmaster and invading adventurer. You would need to control them directly to aim them in combat, and they are monstrosities, not beasts, so Speak with Animals doesn't work. The Darkness Aura would also blind its handlers just as its prey.

They work great as a living trap or an area denial, but not as much as combat companions.
    It's as smart as an eagle or hawk, which means it's smart enough to attack more or less on command. I'm guessing it'd have a preference for unarmored and isolated targets anyway, so getting it to single out the wizard wouldn't be that difficult.

12. - Top - End - #642

Goblin

Hooks
    Darkmantle is a random encounter monster, or a sort of a living trap, not really something you would base an adventure around.
    Counterpoint: 1st level adventure. The cathedral of a prominent moon goddess nurtures a colony of bats down in the catacombs. Lately, the crypt keepers have reported that the bats are acting strangely. They drop suddenly from the ceiling and move in strange, unusual patterns. Rumors are flying that houses near the cathedral have been attacked in the night by whole swarms. Children are missing. Something strange is moving in the deep, forgotten parts of the tombs. A thing the bats worship as something like a god. The players must enter the crypts, seek out this unknown creature, and destroy it.

Call it Crypt of the Once-Bat or something.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2016-02-25 at 10:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Troll in the Playground

ElfPirate

I'm a little surprised that it doesn't share the damage taken with the target if it's attacked while wrapped around its head, though...it would make it a little more dangerous to take out.
    It's not in the MM, but the chart of monster features in the DMG lists darkmantle as an example of a creature having the Damage Transfer ability, which would be what you're looking for. And the CR seems to include that ability. The errata released so far doesn't indicate which is correct though, so take your pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    I've tallied up all the points for this thread, and consulted with the debate judges, and the verdict is clear: JoeJ wins the thread.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd have the darkmantle share certain types of damage; a ray of frost might be narrow enough (if well aimed) to hit the darkmantle, but somebody trying to knock the creature off his friend with a mace...
    Show

(aka "The Doppelbanger")

15. - Top - End - #645
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Darkmantle is relatively new monster, first appearing in 3e Monster Manual
    The Darkmantle has, curiously enough, evolved from a 2. edition MM critter named the Executioners Hood, which was black, hung in the ceiling, and dropped on people, engulfing their head. It even had two holes that you could look out of, as you were being suffocated.
    It was rather ridiculous, so somebody decided to evolve it into a something more sinister and 'natural' creature.

I liked the Executioners Hood, and I like the Darkmantle as well. They are not really that dangerous to a party, but they are still kind of creepy. Great at setting the mood in a dungeon.
    Last edited by Mrmox42; 2016-02-26 at 04:27 AM.
    Sic Bisquitum Disintegratum - Thus Breaketh Ye Bisquit

16. - Top - End - #646

SamuraiGuy

Darkmantles serve one purpose pretty well - the solo Rogue or Ranger scouting ahead using Darkvision gets a nasty surprise. Even at higher levels they will mess with stealth. Put Darkmantles into your dungeon, and the party has to adapt.

Other than that, another form of the Cloaker / Piercer; thing that drops on you and tries to eat you.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Hooks
    Can't base an adventure around, you say? *cracks knuckles*

The PCs are putzing around in some backwater town when suddenly a giant cloud of absolute darkness (read: many darkmantles using their Darkness Aura ability at once) blots out the sun. The cloud soon passes east over the town and some weird squid-bat hybrids fall down to ground level, but they aren't interested in fighting, just moving away to the east. It turns out the darkmantles are fleeing from some ancient horror that awoke in a nearby cave system, and the villagers are all terrified. Begin standard-issue underdark adventure.

18. - Top - End - #648

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Iguanodon View Post
    Can't base an adventure around, you say? *cracks knuckles*

The PCs are putzing around in some backwater town when suddenly a giant cloud of absolute darkness (read: many darkmantles using their Darkness Aura ability at once) blots out the sun. The cloud soon passes east over the town and some weird squid-bat hybrids fall down to ground level, but they aren't interested in fighting, just moving away to the east. It turns out the darkmantles are fleeing from some ancient horror that awoke in a nearby cave system, and the villagers are all terrified. Begin standard-issue underdark adventure.
    Eh, darkmantles are clue, not basis for adventure. You could have hordes of ground squirrels and badgers for the same effect.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Eh, darkmantles are clue, not basis for adventure. You could have hordes of ground squirrels and badgers for the same effect.
    Agree with you on the not the whole adventure basis bit but, as mood setting they are good. And as a horde they can make it better They would fit well in the Ravenloft setting as a swarm in place of bats for a different flavor. Or just a good swarm at lower levels in any cavern/dungeon crawl. Not every monster has to be able to stack up against a hardened crew of adventurers, sometimes you just need something a little different to set the tone.

20. - Top - End - #650

MonkGuy

Hmm, I guess you're right. Maybe the PC's are negotiating on behalf of the clan of ousted (awakened) darkmantles or something like that.... Though, considering awakened creatures is always a bit of a cop-out.

Another angle: Darkmantles create magical darkness around themselves, so they can actually substantially block out sunlight for real, unlike mundane beasts. Maybe they stick around above the forest hamlet and the PC's need to get them to move out of the way so the dryads in the forest don't die from inability to photosynthesize? They could go underground to allow them to return home, or enlist the help of a faction of wyvern riders or something to knock the darkmantles out of the air....

21. - Top - End - #651
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Iguanodon View Post
    Hmm, I guess you're right. Maybe the PC's are negotiating on behalf of the clan of ousted (awakened) darkmantles or something like that.... Though, considering awakened creatures is always a bit of a cop-out.

Another angle: Darkmantles create magical darkness around themselves, so they can actually substantially block out sunlight for real, unlike mundane beasts. Maybe they stick around above the forest hamlet and the PC's need to get them to move out of the way so the dryads in the forest don't die from inability to photosynthesize? They could go underground to allow them to return home, or enlist the help of a faction of wyvern riders or something to knock the darkmantles out of the air....
    I thought they were native to the underdark/underground.. now we have a bunch of them flying around above ground?! That does open em up a bit
    "Forced from the darkmantle guano caves the villagers have harvested for generations to fertilze the mountain terrain that won't support other
    traditional livestock"

22. - Top - End - #652
    Titan in the Playground

Mother of God.

Dark Tentasquirrels.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmox42 View Post
    The Darkmantle has, curiously enough, evolved from a 2. edition MM critter named the Executioners Hood, which was black, hung in the ceiling, and dropped on people, engulfing their head. It even had two holes that you could look out of, as you were being suffocated.
    It was rather ridiculous, so somebody decided to evolve it into a something more sinister and 'natural' creature.

I liked the Executioners Hood, and I like the Darkmantle as well. They are not really that dangerous to a party, but they are still kind of creepy. Great at setting the mood in a dungeon.
    I'd thought they were supposed to be a Piercer replacement, but they are remarkably similar to the Executioner's Hood that I'm surprised I hadn't made the connection before.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Mother of God.

Dark Tentasquirrels.
    Check out 3.5 Skiurids. It has been done!

25. - Top - End - #655

SamuraiGuy

Now a "collector" who hires the party to harvest live Darkmantles and bring them to her could be interesting. Who needs 10,000 Darkmantles?

A vampire queen who is going to conquer the world with her horde of vampire spawn - and her top cover of Darkmantles, blotting out the sun as her army advances day and night.

26. - Top - End - #656

MonkGuy

Up next is the Death Knight. Anyone planning on doing this one?

27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground

Now a "collector" who hires the party to harvest live Darkmantles and bring them to her could be interesting. Who needs 10,000 Darkmantles?

A vampire queen who is going to conquer the world with her horde of vampire spawn - and her top cover of Darkmantles, blotting out the sun as her army advances day and night.
    The Darkmantles in this scenario are cute, and have the personality of puppies.

The vampire's name is Cruella.

101 Darkmations.

28. - Top - End - #658

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stavrost View Post
    I'd thought they were supposed to be a Piercer replacement, but they are remarkably similar to the Executioner's Hood that I'm surprised I hadn't made the connection before.
    Darkmantle is certainly less stupid version. It's the same as the Cloaker turning from evil living cloak to evil flying manta ray. Also, we've got Piercer back in 5e!

29. - Top - End - #659

Hullo hullo! I've been lurking here on this thread since the start and have immensely enjoyed every monster review and the discussions that follow. With the inexplicable absence of our beloved OP it will be my honor to carry on the torch with this post about a dude carrying a torch!

Death Knight

A classic villain and antithesis to the noble Paladin, this fallen champion of good is about what you would expect. Undead, bane of all life, tortured soul, etc.

Art

I'm not a fan. The things that stick out most are the aforementioned torch, which serves no thematic purpose, and the goofy cylindrical helm. The only things that speak to the evil incarnation of undeath we are supposedly being presented are the obligatory red glowing eyes and the skeletal hand that seems to me to be a last minute edit when one guy realized there was no apparent evidence of the Death part of Death Knight. There ought to be more dynamism and drama. Covering the face was a missed opportunity. They should have displayed a nuanced expression showing the dichotomy of rage against the living and self-loathing at his own wretched state. Not a terrible picture objectively, it just doesn't do it for me.

Purpose and Tactics

High AC and a big old pile of hit points makes this a tough SOB to take down. Add in magic and turn resistance, a reaction AC boost and literal immortality gives you the makings of a perfect recurring nemesis. The turn resistance can be granted to nearby undead, but other than that there isn't much to highlight the Death Knight as a leader of undead. You should run it with some allies to even out the advantage of action economy since it doesn't get Lair Actions (or you can give it LA's from another source like the Lich), but they don't necessarily need to be undead mooks.

Fluff

A fallen Paladin cursed to eternity as an undead until it repents. A fine trope that kinda falls apart with the inclusion of the Oathbreaker Paladin. This is less a tragic, torturous fate and more of an ultimate reward for a life lived sadistically. Since by definition every Oathbreaker that dies will become a Death Knight, and Death Knights can never be fully destroyed until they repent or are "redeemed" by some outside force, you have the makings of a bunch of Saurons minus the One Achilles Heel.

That being said, the fluff is fun. The story of Lord Soth is great; a little too short to give a clear understanding of how a noble Paladin could have become so overcome with lust as to have his wife murdered so he could cheat in his own bed, but compelling nonetheless. With a little more depth of detail you can really weave an engrossing tale of honor, temptation and tragedy into your campaign with an epic battle as payoff in the late game.

Hooks

No matter how many times they destroy it, this damn villain just keeps catching up to the group and getting in their way! How us an adventurer supposed to enjoy the spoils of grave robbing and corpse looting with a stupid, unkillable punching bag always crashing the party? It's not like there are other ways to solve a problem than violence...

Throughout the campaign your Paladin player has been utterly careless about upholding the Oath he ostensibly swore, and now the consequences of his borderline murderhobo-ish ways have finally gotten him killed. He rolls a new character and the story rolls on, but a new threat has appeared in the world to hinder the party's goals. I wonder who that could be?

A valiant knight once bravely descended into a cursed city to slay a great, rising darkness and prevailed at the cost of his life. Years later, the darkness is rising once more, and those few who enter the city and return alive tell of legions of undead led by a shadowy figure bearing an all too familiar sword.

Verdict

Predictable but well executed. Whether you build them up as the Big Bad or the Dragon (see TV Tropes), the Death Knight will serve as a reliable source of epic combat encounters with a twist; swords and spells will never end the threat, but merely delay it. Roleplay is the only way to win, and that's a refreshing change of pace.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi, meet the Lich's "meat" shield. Toss one or two of these with a demilich or normal lich and you've got a climactic encounter enough to kill any party.
    Show

(aka "The Doppelbanger")