New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: OOTS #1182 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Not so much...Iron Heart Surge requires a standard action, so you can only use it on your turn. Baleful polymorph disables your special abilities, being mind controlled complicates things because your controlled mind might not chose to active the maneuver (especially with competition over your standard action), and your imploded corpse can't take actions (even if it could, being killed by implosion is an instantaneous effect and Iron Heart Surge only works on effects with a duration of at least one round).

It's core to the weirdness of Iron Heart Surge: most of the things it seems intended for (stunning) complicate/prevent taking the action to use it, whereas it applies just fine to stuff that doesn't make a whole lot of sense (antimagic field).
    The classic is to combine it with Mad Foam Eager, which means it is better for Belker then Roy anyway.

Getting so angry you ignore all status ailments is one of the cooler Barbarian tricks.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #212
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

The "Belkar ascends to Godhood" theory is great and I almost want to buy it.

Unfortunately, Gods presumably get birthday cakes.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Well, that's a lie.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

Why wouldn't gods have birthday cake? Belkar is perfectly allowed to celebrate as many birthdays as he wants.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wackd View Post

I would think most of them wouldn't care about their Birthdays, what with being immortal and all.

Also you get to name days of the week after yourself so EVERY week has a party day for you in it. No need to have birthday cake when you're having ME-day cake!!
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Wackd View Post

Also i highly doubt anyone would worship Belkar. The Dark One got a year's worth of death in a concerted army raging over his loss. Belkar will have a handful of people who may or may not even miss him. Not exactly ascension-worthy, I'd say.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #217

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Also i highly doubt anyone would worship Belkar. The Dark One got a year's worth of death in a concerted army raging over his loss. Belkar will have a handful of people who may or may not even miss him. Not exactly ascension-worthy, I'd say.
    I feel like people took the wrong lesson from TDO, presumably the elves didn't raise people by murdering a bunch of orcs or whatever, the point was how much they loved him and worshipped him, not that he cause people to die.
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

The shedding of blood and souls is a very traditional way for Dark Powers to ascend in fiction though...
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

9. - Top - End - #219
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I would think most of them wouldn't care about their Birthdays, what with being immortal and all.

Also you get to name days of the week after yourself so EVERY week has a party day for you in it. No need to have birthday cake when you're having ME-day cake!!

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-10-17 at 08:06 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Shoelessgdowar View Post
    Xykon. There is a reason V lost.
    I don't usually like to participate in nitty-gritty prophesy discussions, but I feel like this statement misrepresents the meaning of that scene. Xykon did not beat V because he had more arcane power than them. V was wielding the arcane might of two epic-level magic users while Xykon was wielding that of one- in terms of raw arcane power, V had him dead to rights. The point of Xykon's speech about how "power is power" wasn't that he had more magic power than V in that moment, it was that power can take many different forms. For that fight, Xykon's power advantage took the form of:

• Magical traps that robbed V of their surprise round
    • Two brilliant minions casting divination spells and shouting out advice
    • The knowledge and experience to use his toolset to its fullest extent and to exploit V's weaknesses
    • The strength score to be able to smoosh V with a Very Big Rock, and crush people's windpipes with his fingers
    • And of course, a +6 racial bonus to Listen checks

Heck, the fact that V and O'Chul beat Xykon AFTER V lost their ultimate arcane power and barely had two spells left shows how little arcane power levels actually mattered to the outcome of that fight.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Perhaps not as a good god. But the way Thor described it doesn't exactly imply worship has to be positive. (Helya alone is proof of that.) What matters is that they're being thought of at all, both in life and death. Belkar's managed to get so many people pissed at him the Oracle got together just enough Kobolds together to legally constitute a town. If they were told why they were living there, that's a thing. There's no way Belkar's corpse-screaming moment at Azure City didn't get more than a few heads turning. Even in the City of Blood he easily managed to get everyone in the arena immediately recognizing him as the 'villain' of the bunch.

My point (in this discussion I'm only moderately believing feasible, but find fun) is that godhood is not predicated on people being on their knees, praying to you a whole lot. Having an army screaming for your blood in furious anger or citizens trembling every night praying you don't find them is 'prayer' just the same, so it seems to me anyway. If everywhere you go you make people mad at you, they KNOW you. Everyone Belkar kills is probably going to remember him pretty damn strongly in the afterlife... And he's pretty hard to ignore when he does kill them, making their dedication strong.

Tbc I don't know if this theory is really, actually plausible or not, but I mean... Evil gods have to get their start in a Pantheon SOMEHOW, right? And it's sure as heck is not going to be by making the people like you a whole bunch.

12. - Top - End - #222

I feel like people took the wrong lesson from TDO, presumably the elves didn't raise people by murdering a bunch of orcs or whatever, the point was how much they loved him and worshipped him, not that he cause people to die.
    I'm not saying that's the only way; I'm just saying that ascending to Godhood likely requires a large amount of dedication from mortals, and we have no reason whatsoever to suspect anyone will commit any sort of sustained or concentrated dedication to Belkar.

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by JackJin View Post
    Perhaps not as a good god. But the way Thor described it doesn't exactly imply worship has to be positive. (Helya alone is proof of that.) What matters is that they're being thought of at all, both in life and death. Belkar's managed to get so many people pissed at him the Oracle got together just enough Kobolds together to legally constitute a town. If they were told why they were living there, that's a thing. There's no way Belkar's corpse-screaming moment at Azure City didn't get more than a few heads turning. Even in the City of Blood he easily managed to get everyone in the arena immediately recognizing him as the 'villain' of the bunch.

My point (in this discussion I'm only moderately believing feasible, but find fun) is that godhood is not predicated on people being on their knees, praying to you a whole lot. Having an army screaming for your blood in furious anger or citizens trembling every night praying you don't find them is 'prayer' just the same, so it seems to me anyway. If everywhere you go you make people mad at you, they KNOW you. Everyone Belkar kills is probably going to remember him pretty damn strongly in the afterlife... And he's pretty hard to ignore when he does kill them, making their dedication strong.

Tbc I don't know if this theory is really, actually plausible or not, but I mean... Evil gods have to get their start in a Pantheon SOMEHOW, right? And it's sure as heck is not going to be by making the people like you a whole bunch.
    That’s exactly how TDO (an almost certainly Evil god) was raised, every evil cleric seems to believe their god is a great protector of them, I personally wouldn’t feel that Belkar saved me.
    I'm not saying that's the only way; I'm just saying that ascending to Godhood likely requires a large amount of dedication from mortals, and we have no reason whatsoever to suspect anyone will commit any sort of sustained or concentrated dedication to Belkar.
    Oh no, I was agreeing with you, just trying to add on to it.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

That’s exactly how TDO (an almost certainly Evil god) was raised, every evil cleric seems to believe their god is a great protector of them, I personally wouldn’t feel that Belkar saved me.
    Alright, but, just for a second, imagine TDO is to his pantheon and clerics a "good" god. At least, good to them. Official evil alignment aside, TDO rose in a manner most would call heroic. I'm suggesting a villainous rise, relative.

Besides. To use your tagline, I can't imagine any better payoff for Belkar's downright iconic declaration he is, without question, a sexy, shoeless God of War.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I...never actually realized that Roy was skipping out on his magic items to prove something with his family sword.

Belkar is more attentive than I am, at least.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

16. - Top - End - #226

Alright, but, just for a second, imagine TDO is to his pantheon and clerics a "good" god. At least, good to them. Official evil alignment aside, TDO rose in a manner most would call heroic. I'm suggesting a villainous rise, relative.

Besides. To use your tagline, I can't imagine any better payoff for Belkar's downright iconic declaration he is, without question, a sexy, shoeless God of War.
    It feels like a worshippers see who they worship as “good”, someone who helps them succeed (Loki gets Hilgya to Valhalla, Hel saves them from death, Nergal gives some mummies, even if all of these are false they still show what their worshippers think of them), and no one feels like Belkar helps them.

Also, I have a tag line? What’s my tag line, when did I get it and are you sure I didn’t steal it?
    Show

17. - Top - End - #227

Oh no, I was agreeing with you, just trying to add on to it.
    Whoops! I an not a smart man.

I wouldn't call a year of slaughtered innocents to avenge one man heroic by any stretch of the imagination.

And you nailed it, Belkar is the only one declaring it. I can say I'm the Queen of England, but the coronation just ain't happening.

Lastly, him becoming a god and getting rewarded for a lifetime of Evil doesn't really strike me as a payoff. More like a spit in the face to all the people he killed.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

And you nailed it, Belkar is the only one declaring it. I can say I'm the Queen of England, but the coronation just ain't happening.
    Well to fit the Belkar metaphor; if you got an army and conquered the British Empire, you could pretty much declare yourself the Queen of England and only the other Superpowers could disagree with you. But the Empire and the Commonwealth certainly only contributes to your rise at that point.

Likewise if Belkar gets enough Soul power to make himself a God, then there may be a window for Thor to murder him on ascension before Belkar gets more Soul power to give him full Godly powers; but there's nothing the mortals can do about it except pray he doesn't smite them. Which as Hel shows was a pretty good deal. Also if he's famous ENOUGH for all his super-murdering, the other warriors may pray to him for his blessing in their own super-murdering.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    I...never actually realized that Roy was skipping out on his magic items to prove something with his family sword.

Belkar is more attentive than I am, at least.
    Well he's not really doing it that much, he's just not seeking out more items.

I mean he took the Belt of Ogre Strength and the Bag of Tricks, and the other miscellaneous stuff he's run across, but he just never went looking for new stuff outside of loot.

I'm guessing his share is also the one that gets the most cut into for things like "resurrection fund" and "travel expenses" on account of how he is the leader and all.
    Last edited by The MunchKING; 2019-10-17 at 08:57 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229

Well to fit the Belkar metaphor; if you got an army and conquered the British Empire, you could pretty much declare yourself the Queen of England and only the other Superpowers could disagree with you. But the Empire and the Commonwealth certainly only contributes to your rise at that point.

Likewise if Belkar gets enough Soul power to make himself a God, then there may be a window for Thor to murder him on ascension before Belkar gets more Soul power to give him full Godly powers; but there's nothing the mortals can do about it except pray he doesn't smite them. Which as Hel shows was a pretty good deal. Also if he's famous ENOUGH for all his super-murdering, the other warriors may pray to him for his blessing in their own super-murdering.
    Oh, I'm not debating that it can't happen. I'm just saying he has no imperial army, and with what, a week's worth of time to go I doubt hell get one built (and I doubt the Order or the Paladins will prozeltyse his deeds much).

20. - Top - End - #230
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I wouldn't call a year of slaughtered innocents to avenge one man heroic by any stretch of the imagination.

Lastly, him becoming a god and getting rewarded for a lifetime of Evil doesn't really strike me as a payoff. More like a spit in the face to all the people he killed.
    That's... extremely uncharitable in all accounts, and I'll assume you're not intending to come off as harsh as you sound.

My point is it was heroic to the Goblins. It was to them a wrathful crusade to avenge their fallen who was going to lead them to peace and prosperity. Use different words, spin it a little differently, and it's heroic. Good, even. It's an alignment debate at that point, and in D&D that's never useful.

I was referring to his self-declaration as a potential narrative payoff because this is a story. He's used it twice as a definition of himself, both during Azure City and his "evolve or die" moment. Once is cool, twice is a callback, a third time would be implying greater meaning. If you're not insane, or just being foolish, you saying you're the Queen of England twice in a story implies it's not random. Cue the third time when it's revealed you've been ol' Liz in a mask this entire time, and "I'm the Queen of England" becomes a badass punchline.

...And? He's killed a lot of people. A lot of them bad, even if he didn't care whether they were or not. It's been well established his entire build is best suited for killing low-level monsters by the dozens, and nowadays he's starting to question and seek out a reason why he's fighting. The way Roy talked about him during his assessment in the clouds and to Haley after, Belkar is treated less like a person and more a force of nature, a living weapon against whoever they point him at. Granted, several individuals Roy included can smack the little guy down with ease, but... there's a lot more low-hit point fodder out there in the world, and their last dying gasps being used enraged at Belkar is arguably more relevant to a discussion of ascension.

I don't want this to turn as bitter or dismissive as I'm getting the sense it's becoming, so I'll leave it at this. Right now, the rules for ascension are intentionally vague. We're given what the gods need to keep going, reference to the fact that deities have arisen in the past, but usually within an established Pantheon, and TDO is exceptional specifically for arising outside of the norm. All I'm saying is it'd be a pretty cool turn if Belkar's finale in this life came recognizing what he was fighting for, going down swinging against countless enemies, and becoming the personification of war he's declared himself to be. If that's implausible to you, fine. Didn't want to fight on this one.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

All I'm saying is it'd be a pretty cool turn if Belkar's finale in this life came recognizing what he was fighting for, going down swinging against countless enemies, and becoming the personification of war he's declared himself to be. If that's implausible to you, fine. Didn't want to fight on this one.
    Didn't want to fight? You'll never be able to properly advocate for a war god with an attitude like that!
    (This signature intentionally left blank)

22. - Top - End - #232
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anitar View Post
    Didn't want to fight? You'll never be able to properly advocate for a war god with an attitude like that!
    Picking your fights is important for battle. Picking one with a mod is probably not good military doctrine.

23. - Top - End - #233

That's... extremely uncharitable in all accounts, and I'll assume you're not intending to come off as harsh as you sound.

My point is it was heroic to the Goblins. It was to them a wrathful crusade to avenge their fallen who was going to lead them to peace and prosperity. Use different words, spin it a little differently, and it's heroic. Good, even. It's an alignment debate at that point, and in D&D that's never useful.

I was referring to his self-declaration as a potential narrative payoff because this is a story. He's used it twice as a definition of himself, both during Azure City and his "evolve or die" moment. Once is cool, twice is a callback, a third time would be implying greater meaning. If you're not insane, or just being foolish, you saying you're the Queen of England twice in a story implies it's not random. Cue the third time when it's revealed you've been ol' Liz in a mask this entire time, and "I'm the Queen of England" becomes a badass punchline.

...And? He's killed a lot of people. A lot of them bad, even if he didn't care whether they were or not. It's been well established his entire build is best suited for killing low-level monsters by the dozens, and nowadays he's starting to question and seek out a reason why he's fighting. The way Roy talked about him during his assessment in the clouds and to Haley after, Belkar is treated less like a person and more a force of nature, a living weapon against whoever they point him at. Granted, several individuals Roy included can smack the little guy down with ease, but... there's a lot more low-hit point fodder out there in the world, and their last dying gasps being used enraged at Belkar is arguably more relevant to a discussion of ascension.

I don't want this to turn as bitter or dismissive as I'm getting the sense it's becoming, so I'll leave it at this. Right now, the rules for ascension are intentionally vague. We're given what the gods need to keep going, reference to the fact that deities have arisen in the past, but usually within an established Pantheon, and TDO is exceptional specifically for arising outside of the norm. All I'm saying is it'd be a pretty cool turn if Belkar's finale in this life came recognizing what he was fighting for, going down swinging against countless enemies, and becoming the personification of war he's declared himself to be. If that's implausible to you, fine. Didn't want to fight on this one.
    Don't worry, I get zero sensr of bitterness or dismissiveness.

At the same time, I'm not intending to sound harsh, just trying to lay out how I see it. Which is to say, the author has laid out a lot of his beliefs about stories and life in general, and while I don't agree with all of them, one of them in particular is that evil is not a valid life choice. Background character being evil and becoming a god? Sure, why not, that works into the story. Main character who spent 99% of his life being an unrepentant monster becoming a god? I don't see him writing that story. Killing people is bad, but that's also pretty common and it's easy to be senensitized, even while still viewing it as abhorrent. But what about other things he's done, like slavery? He's totally been a slave, and what's more, was proud of that. Psychopathic murderer/slave getting no comeuppance for a lifetime of ghoulish crimes isn't closure in my book.

Or, to put it another way, Walter White may be entraining to watch but I don't want him to retire to the beach at the end.
    Picking your fights is important for battle. Picking one with a mod is probably not good military doctrine.
    I like being lazy. Stay within the Forum Rules and you can disagree with me as vehemently as you want all day long, and I'll call it a win.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-10-17 at 09:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Certainly not one that's going to Napoleonically crown himself Queen of England.

25. - Top - End - #235

Certainly not one that's going to Napoleonically crown himself Queen of England.
    Going to?!? That happened years ago! Time to execute the Minister of Publicity and get a new one

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I have 100 imaginary gold pieces on Belkar doing a heroic (and soul-ending) sacrifice a la Kraagor of the Order of the Scribble, to Save the World *and* avoid a nasty afterlife.
    Last edited by Particle_Man; 2019-10-17 at 09:34 PM.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Going to?!? That happened years ago! Time to execute the Minister of Publicity and get a new one
    What? Then the reason your coronation isn't coming is because it was already true!!

And thus Belkar is ALREADY A GOD??

28. - Top - End - #238

What? Then the reason your coronation isn't coming is because it was already true!!

Nah, he's just a little drunk.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I mean, he's said it twice. You people need to learn to read the text.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

...by any chance, have all your ministers of publicity moonlighted as drummers for Spinal Tap?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas