New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: One-handed swordsman build?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    I think Darrin explains my point much better than I would be able to, so I'll limit myself to quote him

Here is the class feature, as Darrin mentions in his TWF Off-handbook, the abilities are separated.

Emphasis mine

Now you or your DM may rule differently; I don't see the problem with allowing that, since you are burning two feats and a class level to simply be on par with level 1 Two handed fighter, but then again that might be just me.
    Thanks! That makes it a lot clearer, and I agree that the sentence in question puzzled me as well. It's a most reasonable interpretation.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

In the end, I made up my mind of going off with Iaijutsu Master, so my build would go as follows, please rate it honestly. For now, the character is level 3rd, beyond 3rd is the planned build.

It is a Factotum 8/Iaijutsu Master 8/Exotic Weapon Master 1/X 3

Spoiler: Ability Scores
    Show
    32 PB used.
    STR: 14
    DEX: 16
    CON: 8
    INT: 16
    WIS: 8
    CHA: 14

Increases at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th and 20th are as follows and in order:

DEX, CHA, CHA, DEX, ?
    Spoiler: Level Breakdown
    Show
    Factotum 1
    Factotum 2
    Factotum 3

Factotum 4
    Factotum 5
    Factotum 6
    Factotum 7
    Factotum 8
    Iaijutsu Master 1
    Iaijutsu Master 2
    Iaijutsu Master 3
    Iaijutsu Master 4
    Iaijutsu Master 5
    Iaijutsu Master 6
    Iaijutsu Master 7
    Iaijutsu Master 8
    Exotic Weapon Master 1
    Spoiler: Feat Breakdown
    Show
    [Lv1] Faerie Mysteries Initiate (Passion)
    [Human] Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Katana)*
    [Spice Melange] Wild Talent
    [Flaw] Improved Initiative
    [Flaw] Quick Draw
    [Lv3] Weapon Focus (Katana)
    [Lv6] Flick of the Wrist
    [Lv9] Einhander
    [Iaijutsu Master] Weapon Finesse
    [Lv12] Combat Reflexes
    [Iaijutsu Master] Skill Focus (Iaijutsu Focus)
    [Lv15] Robilar's Gambit
    [Lv18] Power Attack

*Listed as Katana, but it is essencially Bastard Sword.

This game is aimed to reach 30th, so I am trying to move this as far as I can, but that's as far as I can think, the concept is in-place, and I thank you all for the ideas, any addition to the list?
    Check out which is the Playground's favorite Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    "Narass, what's the scouter say about their power level?"

"**** if I know."
    >> My Extended Signature <<

Hey guys, I'm a vestige! And a spell!

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Apart from knowing it exists, I know basically nothing about Iaijutsu Master. So take what I say next with that in mind.

Factotum is extremely happy if you bump INT as high as possible. Font of Inspiration is an excellent feat that will get you extra Inspiration Points for... well everything the Factotum can do.

Gnomish Quickrazor is an awesome weapon if you're focusing on Iaijutsu strikes as you can sheath it as a free action. You can use weapon familiarity to swap out a Gnome's original favoured weapon for another one (Complete Warrior lets you do this.)

If you focus on Iaijutsu, then you're going to want to focus on getting as many abilities to keep your opponents flat footed. Things like; Grease, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Acrobatic Backstab, Invisibility.

Also stuff to increase your damage output: Knowledge Devotion, Collector of Stories.
    Whirling Blade allows you to multi target Iaijutsu strike (if you're undetected by everyone in the area).
    Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    You could also go on an adventure for the magical strap-on, if you really want to make an adventure out of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Wizard View Post
    Come at me scrublord I'm ripped

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Thing is I have no space for 2-4 Font of Inspiration feats, every feat from 1st to 3rd is a prerequisite for Iaijutsu Master, and Faerie Mysteries Initiate is to reduce MAD.

"**** if I know."

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by UrashimaJamez View Post
    Thing is I have no space for 2-4 Font of Inspiration feats, every feat from 1st to 3rd is a prerequisite for Iaijutsu Master, and Faerie Mysteries Initiate is to reduce MAD.
    You can make an Iaijutsu focused character without Iaijutsu Master, which would free up those feats.
    Else if you want to stay with the PrC you may be able to custom craft items with the prereq/Font of Inspiration feats on them.
    You could also go on an adventure for the magical strap-on, if you really want to make an adventure out of this.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rubber Band View Post
    You can make an Iaijutsu focused character without Iaijutsu Master, which would free up those feats.
    Else if you want to stay with the PrC you may be able to custom craft items with the prereq/Font of Inspiration feats on them.
    And how a Iaijutsu character would go w/o Iaijutsu Master?

"**** if I know."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

simply take the skill from an expert/factotum/Rokugan Samurai level and ignore the Iaijutsu master's abilty to add their Cha mod to each damage die since it requires a lot of feats and prestigue class levels.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malroth View Post
    simply take the skill from an expert/factotum/Rokugan Samurai level and ignore the Iaijutsu master's abilty to add their Cha mod to each damage die since it requires a lot of feats and prestigue class levels.
    So Xd6 damage + X times Cha mod isn't worth? How could I pump up my damage output then?

"**** if I know."

9. - Top - End - #39

And how a Iaijutsu character would go w/o Iaijutsu Master?
    Everything that I posted here can easily be done with a Factotum.

Factotum has become the defacto class for those who want to do an Iaijutsu character.
    They get the skill, Iaijutsu Focus, as a class skill (as they get all skills as class skills).
    They're Int based with a tonne of skill points and all Dex/Str skills get a bonus from Int. Use Knowledge Devotion and Collector of Stories to pump your Iaijutsu strikes' damage.
    They can use Cunning Insight (I think that's the one) to pump an Iaijutsu strike higher.
    They have access to extra actions. (Level 8)
    As you have Dex and Int to initiative (Int being your main stat and Dex being a very good second) you're mostly going first. If someone hasn't acted in combat they are flat footed.
    You've then got Gnomish Quickrazors for free action sheathing (Gnomes can swap out a racial weapon proficiency to be able to use these).
    Skill tricks like Acrobatic Backstab to make your opponents flat footed. Spells such as Invisibility to do the same.
    If you dip Warblade you can get Punishing Stance (extra damage) and Sapphire Nightmare Blade (another source of flat footed).

As a Factotum you just have a tonne of utility and a million different options to do any problem you come up against.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I can't go gnome, but Quick Draw can be used to do a Quick Sheathe maneuver in our games. So that solves the Gnome Quickrazor factor, as I wanted my character to wield a Katana in the first place (you know, proficiencies).
    Is Skill Focus (Iaijutsu Focus) viable? Is Knowledge Devotion's bonus that good? The race I'm running, by the way, are psionically augmented humans that adquire the Wild Talent feat and a bonus skill point each level (4 at 1st), this is in addition to the human's bonus skill points, and bonus feat. Also, their favored classes are Erudite (Dragon Compendium), Factotum, and Beguiler.
    Last edited by Yael; 2014-12-01 at 07:37 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Well I can't go gnome, but Quick Draw can be used to do a Quick Sheathe maneuver in our games. So that solves the Gnome Quickrazor factor, as I wanted my character to wield a Katana in the first place (you know, proficiencies).
    Is Skill Focus (Iaijutsu Focus) viable? Is Knowledge Devotion's bonus that good? The race I'm running, by the way, are psionically augmented humans that adquire the Wild Talent feat and a bonus skill point each level (4 at 1st), this is in addition to the human's bonus skill points, and bonus feat. Also, their favored classes are Erudite (Dragon Compendium), Factotum, and Beguiler.
    Looks like you're bloody well set then!
    I don't see why you couldn't get that skill focus. Also as it's a skill you could get a masterwork tool for it (a special scabbard that allows easier draw, or sharpens the blade when you draw/sheathe your weapon).
    Knowledge Devotion is rather good with a Factotum as you can always Cunning Surge the bonus damage and you'll have at least one point in each Knowledge skill. I mean, it's not like you don't get enough skill points

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

The Storm Knight is an interesting build from the boards formerly known as 339. Totally works with a 1 hander only. Plus, you have the potential to be a freaking airship captain1

1 Assuming you are playing in a game with airships and the rules governing them are at least similar to the Eberron rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

To finish up the factotum build, what about three levels of Unarmed Swordsage at strategic points? I know you don't want ToB, but you wouldn't be taking it for the maneuvers. Instead, you want the Wisdom to AC (switched to Int with Kung Fu Genius, ideally), and the free Weapon Focus and IUAS. This frees up a feat, with which you take Two Weapon Fighting. You also drop Einhander for Snap Kick and Robilar's Gambit for Superior Unarmed Strike. Assuming your DM rules you can sheathe your katana as a free action with Quick Draw, you can use Iaijutsu Focus with your unarmed strike since you don't need to attack with the weapon you just drew to get the extra damage. So every full attack, standard attack, or AoO you get another set of IF dice.

Also, Emerald Razor is nice to supplement Flick of the Wrist. So are the Hidden Blade, Sudden Draw, and Acrobatic Backstab skill tricks.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

14. - Top - End - #44
    Firbolg in the Playground

I just have to wonder about this:

32 PB used.
    STR: 14
    DEX: 16
    CHA:14

DEX, CHA, CHA, DEX, ?

This game is aimed to reach 30th, so I am trying to move this as far as I can, but that's as far as I can think, the concept is in-place, and I thank you all for the ideas, any addition to the list?
    Good luck getting to level 30 with a CON penalty.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post

Meh, go CON 3 and be a Necropolitan ASAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

16. - Top - End - #46

I think the appropriate response to this is... yolo?

That's what that LoreDrake said, didn't he?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

YOLO is gramatically incorrect. The proper acronym should be YLOO. I got pedant in my swag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

18. - Top - End - #48

That's nice. I don't suppose it would trouble either of you gentlemen to speak English?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

He has Faerie Mysteries Initiate. Fortitude saves might be a problem, though.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

20. - Top - End - #50

Just looked that up. I no longer wonder why people ban Dragon magazine material.

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    YOLO is gramatically incorrect. The proper acronym should be YLOO. I got pedant in my swag.
    I'm not arguing with the LoreDrake. It's his motto after all.

That's nice. I don't suppose it would trouble either of you gentlemen to speak English?
    Never. But if you're actually wondering... check this song out (I'm sorry in advance) Also NSFW.

Good thing I hit preview before posting this. Still leaving it in for amusement. Apparently hyperlink trumps white text.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Just looked that up. I no longer wonder why people ban Dragon magazine material.
    Yeah, it's a bit much for me, and I have a pretty high dairy tolerance. However, there is some good stuff in there, so it's worth taking stuff from Dragon on a case-by-case basis if you have the time and experience to review it.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Yeah, it's a bit much for me, and I have a pretty high dairy tolerance. However, there is some good stuff in there, so it's worth taking stuff from Dragon on a case-by-case basis if you have the time and experience to review it.
    Which issue is it from?

24. - Top - End - #54

Pretty much what I do. However it's not cheddar content that bothers me so much as that it's just plain bizarre. You get hp based on Intelligence because you had really great sex with a certain person a while ago.

Sex+Intelligence=Hit Points.

What.

If it worked on Charisma, or if actual Fey races could take, it would make slightly more sense.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Which issue is it from?

Pretty much what I do. However it's not cheddar content that bothers me so much as that it's just plain bizarre. You get hp based on Intelligence because you had really great sex with a certain person a while ago.

Sex+Intelligence=Hit Points.

What.

If it worked on Charisma, or if actual Fey races could take, it would make slightly more sense.
    Sensual ≠ sexual. You could give each other massages or eat chocolate-covered fruit just as well as having sex.

But yeah, it doesn't make any more sense to me.

26. - Top - End - #56

"Physical fitness comes from a healthy diet and regular exercise; not from a chocolate-covered make-out session with a pointy-eared tart of indeterminate gender! Now we see the absurdity inherent in the system!"

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

"Physical fitness comes from a healthy diet and regular exercise; not from a chocolate-covered make-out session with a pointy-eared tart of indeterminate gender! Now we see the absurdity inherent in the system!"
    ...can I sig this? It literally (meaning literally literally, not figuratively literally) made me laugh out loud.

28. - Top - End - #58

Sure. Glad you enjoyed.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sensual ≠ sexual. You could give each other massages or eat chocolate-covered fruit just as well as having sex.
    Or non-chocolate covered. Just ask Vonnegut!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

So I worked up what we talked about a while ago, so I came up with this:

Spoiler: Ability Scores
    Show
    32 PB used.
    STR: 13
    DEX: 17
    CHA: 12

DEX, DEX, DEX, CHA, CHA.
    Spoiler: Level Breakdown
    Show
    Factotum 1
    Factotum 2
    Factotum 3

Factotum + ^20

* bold equals current level.
    Spoiler: Feat Breakdown
    Show
    [Lv1] Faerie Mysteries Initiate (Passion)
    [Human] Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Katana)*
    [Spice Melange] Wild Talent
    [Flaw] Font of Inspiration
    [Flaw] Quick Draw
    [Lv3] Flick of the Wrist
    [Lv6] Knowledge Devotion
    [Lv9] Einhander
    [Lv12] Font of Inspiration
    [Lv15] Font of Inspiration
    [Lv18] ?

*Listed as Katana, but it is essencially Bastard Sword.

How is this looking up so far?

"**** if I know."