New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Help a non-programmer install GPT-2 (and its prerequisites)

I've been trying to install GPT-2, the pregram described in this thread, but I have no idea even how to install its prerequisites like Tensorflow and Jupyter, or even any clear idea of what, specifically, those other programs do.

Can somebody give me step by step instructions on how to set this stuff up?
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-09-04 at 11:06 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Help a Python noob install GPT-2 (and its prerequisites Tensorflow, and Jupyter)

I think I used the PyTorch version (which is now included in the transformers package https://github.com/huggingface/transformers). It's probably also useful to install jupyter so you can work with notebooks. Basically, install a python3 environment, install pip for python3 if it isn't done automatically, and then (either on console in Linux, or using the console that comes with Python3 in Windows iirc):

pip install torch transformers jupyter

If you want to use tensorflow and the old repository I linked in the other thread, it's just:

pip install tensorflow

Maybe just using this would be easier: https://github.com/graykode/gpt-2-Pytorch
    A bonus of using that codebase is that they have a Google Colab set up already that you should be able to just run (https://colab.research.google.com/gi..._Pytorch.ipynb)
    I'm not sure it's set up for fine-tuning to your own data though, but I bet you can find an existing Colab notebook somewhere that is (tutorial here: https://towardsdatascience.com/fine-...ee-340468c92ed but it looks like it requires coding). Also saves you the trouble of dealing with hardware requirements on your end. Just be sure that if you fine-tune it, download the model before your session times out so you can use it again in the future without having to retrain!
    Last edited by NichG; 2020-09-04 at 07:32 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Help a Python noob install GPT-2 (and its prerequisites Tensorflow, and Jupyter)

has anybody built a frontend for this?
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

4. - Top - End - #4

There are some online, but they're expensive to host and so have been going commercial. There used to be 'talk to Transformer' but it became a commercial app called InferKit. There's also AI Dungeon, which is a more narrow application but the GPT-2 version is still free to interact with I think.

Fine-tuning in particular takes a few hours of training on GPU, so you'd certainly be paying for it if someone else were hosting the model.

So, I suppose there's probably a business opportunity here to make an all-in-one package you could just download, train, and generate with.

5. - Top - End - #5

Would the procedure you described run locally?

Omegaupdate Forum

6. - Top - End - #6

Default Re: Help a non-programmer install GPT-2 (and its prerequisites)

Which? The Colab stuff runs on Google resources, but its free. If you install Python/PyTorch/etc, it runs locally on your machine. AI Dungeon and the like run on their servers.

7. - Top - End - #7

I was referring to the python version. I think I'll take another shot at trying to install it later today. I don't have a lot of faith in my chances though. Every tutorial I've found so far seems to assume that the user knows how to use Python.

(are those code blocks in the github page you linked supposed to be typed into the python console? Or are they supposed to be copied and pasted into a .py file or something like that?
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-09-06 at 06:24 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I was referring to the python version. I think I'll take another shot at trying to install it later today. I don't have a lot of faith in my chances though. Every tutorial I've found so far seems to assume that the user knows how to use Python.

(are those code blocks in the github page you linked supposed to be typed into the python console? Or are they supposed to be copied and pasted into a .py file or something like that?
    Yeah, these things are still pretty much programming-required outside of the occasional web service people launch... But if you're up for it, the programming stuff you need is relatively simple compared to other kinds of programming (well, depending on how good the developers of each implementation were at compartmentalizing things at least). I suppose part of it is that Python tends to be run as a script rather than compiling into standalone executables like C++/etc stuff tend to be, so people leave a lot more of the programmer-level interface things exposed when sharing Python stuff. E.g. people'll just write command-line options before implementing GUIs, and rather than making installers that come with all the libraries packaged along-side, they'll just assume you'll install the needed stuff in your development environment on your own so they don't have to ship a 100+mb Tensorflow library alongside a 3kb source file :)

As far as the code blocks go:

If you're using Jupyter, you have something like an interactive code editor where you can paste things in blocks, and hit Shift-Enter to run the blocks one at a time. It's convenient since you can put boilerplate up at the top of the file, but you can run a bunch of different commands having executed all the boilerplate up to that point. Once it's set up, it runs a server on your machine and connects to the notebook over your web-browser. You could also put it in a .py file, but then you need to make sure you have stuff to control the .py file on the commandline, which would take a bit more programming.

9. - Top - End - #9

Do you know of any youtube videos that show every step of the process from beginning to end? I found a few tutorials but they all seem to skip steps

Or any scripts that do the whole thing?

Or anywhere where I can download a zip file of a directory with everything set up and ready to go? (like the completely set up copy of python itself with tensorflow etc plus all the scripts needed with nothing omitted)

EDIT:
    And can anybody explain why none of the scripts on either https://github.com/nshepperd/gpt-2 or https://github.com/rish-16/gpt2client seem to do anything? Do they need to be in a certain folder? Do I need to drag a file onto them? Do they still need to have a bunch of other stuff set up first

EDIT:
    Or is there anywhere where I can get it explained step-by step as if I were a small child or a rubber duck
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-09-06 at 06:32 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

10. - Top - End - #10

Ok. Update I've been following the directions at https://medium.com/@ngwaifoong92/beg...t-8bb5363d8b7f

I tried to do a preliminary test of it after Part 1 by skipping the fine-tuning stage (sections 2 and 3) and going straight to Step 4

HOWEVER I keep getting the error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "generate_unconditional_samples.py", line 7, in <module>
    import tensorflow as tf
    ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'tensorflow'

when I type:

C:\Programs\gpt-2-finetuning\src>python generate_unconditional_samples.py --model_name 117M
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-09-06 at 08:49 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

11. - Top - End - #11

Ok. Update I've been following the directions at https://medium.com/@ngwaifoong92/beg...t-8bb5363d8b7f

I tried to do a preliminary test of it after Part 1 by skipping the fine-tuning stage (sections 2 and 3) and going straight to Step 4

HOWEVER I keep getting the error message:

File "generate_unconditional_samples.py", line 7, in <module>
    import tensorflow as tf
    ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'tensorflow'

when I type:

C:\Programs\gpt-2-finetuning\src>python generate_unconditional_samples.py --model_name 117M
    That looks like you didn't install tensorflow yet. Did you do the thing with pip?

For the thing with gpt2client, that's a library that you install and can then import to another Python program. So you install that with pip (or by downloading and doing python setup.py --install), and then write some code to import and call it (like the example code blocks they provide). The advantage of that library is that it's potentially just five lines of code to use it: one to import the library, one to instantiate and download the model you want, one to load your text from a file, one to fine-tune, and one to generate new text.

The gpt-2 repository on the other hand looks like it comes with a bunch of specific scripts that are used to do different things with the model - so the train.py script to train/fine-tune, etc. It's probably a bit more complex to figure out which scripts you should be using yourself, and which are there as supporting/include files.
    Last edited by NichG; 2020-09-06 at 08:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Ok, so how do I install tensorflow? I've tried looking it up and got like a dozen different answers, none of which I fully understood.

Is there a way to do it just by typing things into the console like with the other modules mentioned in the gtp tutorial I found earlier?

EDIT:
    Can you tell me what went wrong here:

C:\Programs\gpt-2-finetuning\src>pip3 install --upgrade tensorflow
    ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement tensorflow (from versions: none)
    ERROR: No matching distribution found for tensorflow

EDIT:
    Ok, figured that one out. Apparently Tensorflow isn't compatible with Python 3.8 so I had to downgrade it to 3.6

I seem to have gotten Tensorflow installed now but now I'm getting another error which I will write down tomorrow after I get some sleep
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-09-07 at 01:38 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

13. - Top - End - #13

Ok, so how do I install tensorflow? I've tried looking it up and got like a dozen different answers, none of which I fully understood.

Is there a way to do it just by typing things into the console like with the other modules mentioned in the gtp tutorial I found earlier?

EDIT:
    Can you tell me what went wrong here:

C:\Programs\gpt-2-finetuning\src>pip3 install --upgrade tensorflow
    ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement tensorflow (from versions: none)
    ERROR: No matching distribution found for tensorflow

EDIT:
    Ok, figured that one out. Apparently Tensorflow isn't compatible with Python 3.8 so I had to downgrade it to 3.6

I seem to have gotten Tensorflow installed now but now I'm getting another error which I will write down tomorrow after I get some sleep
    Okay, glad you're making progress at least!

14. - Top - End - #14

Ok, here's the new issue

C:\Programs\gpt-2-finetuning\src>python generate_unconditional_samples.py --model_name lyric 117M
    2020-09-07 15:33:03.364750: W tensorflow/stream_executor/platform/default/dso_loader.cc:59] Could not load dynamic library 'cudart64_101.dll'; dlerror: cudart64_101.dll not found
    2020-09-07 15:33:03.395537: I tensorflow/stream_executor/cuda/cudart_stub.cc:29] Ignore above cudart dlerror if you do not have a GPU set up on your machine.
    File "generate_unconditional_samples.py", line 9, in <module>
    import model, sample, encoder
    File "C:\Programs\gpt-2-finetuning\src\model.py", line 3, in <module>
    from tensorflow.contrib.training import HParams
    ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'tensorflow.contrib'

Omegaupdate Forum

15. - Top - End - #15

Got it running after upgrading python to 3.7.9 and DOWNGRADING Tensorflow to 1.7

EDIT:
    Now I just need to test the fine-tuning function
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-09-07 at 05:57 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

16. - Top - End - #16

New problem. My computer has crashed twice while running this (although not before I got some nice outputs). It stopped responding and the monitor glitched out in such a way that it looked like it was a painting that someone had smeared with a rag.

Any advice on stopping it from crashing?

Omegaupdate Forum

17. - Top - End - #17

New problem. My computer has crashed twice while running this (although not before I got some nice outputs). It stopped responding and the monitor glitched out in such a way that it looked like it was a painting that someone had smeared with a rag.

Any advice on stopping it from crashing?
    Sounds like the GPU got pushed too hard. You could try running on CPU and see if that fixes it. Also if you can look at the GPU load (on Linux this would be nvidia-smi, not sure where it is in Windows) then you can see if you're using too much memory or running hot or something. If it's a memory issue, you might be able to ask Tensorflow to reserve less (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...f-a-gpu-memory).

18. - Top - End - #18

I think it may have been use of the 355M model that was overtaxing my machine. I've only used the 117M model since then and have had no crashes since then, even after leaving the computer training the model for nearly 24 hours.

On that note, how long do you think is an appropriate amount to train the program for? Is 1000 iterations too many? Also, do you know if they have a listing anywhere of recommended system specs to run the medium and large models?

Omegaupdate Forum

19. - Top - End - #19

I think it may have been use of the 355M model that was overtaxing my machine. I've only used the 117M model since then and have had no crashes since then, even after leaving the computer training the model for nearly 24 hours.

On that note, how long do you think is an appropriate amount to train the program for? Is 1000 iterations too many? Also, do you know if they have a listing anywhere of recommended system specs to run the medium and large models?
    It depends on the dataset, but if you're fine-tuning I'd tend towards fewer rather than more. The proper way to do it is to check for overfitting: have a hold-out set of data, and evaluate the model on the hold-out set when you train, and then stop when the hold-out set starts to get worse rather than better. I'd think more like 5 or 10 iterations rather than 1000 for fine-tuning unless you have a large amount of data to fine-tune with.

I don't have detailed specs, but my guess is you need at least 8gb of memory on the card, if not 12gb, for the 355M model. For the 1.5 billion parameter model it supposedly requires 32gb, so...
    However, you could squeeze out a bit more if you quantize the model to 16 bit floats rather than doubles (this may require coding). Training takes more memory than inference, as well (maybe about a factor of 2 difference, though there are methods to reduce that such as gradient checkpointing, so if the library you're using implements those it won't be quite so bad).

20. - Top - End - #20

I'm gonna have to go back and check if I even have this configured to use GPU assistance at all. (Is there any quick way to check this, btw?)

EDIT:
    Also, is there any way to increase the outputted sample length ab0ve 1024?
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-09-15 at 03:44 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

21. - Top - End - #21

I'm gonna have to go back and check if I even have this configured to use GPU assistance at all. (Is there any quick way to check this, btw?)

EDIT:
    Also, is there any way to increase the outputted sample length ab0ve 1024?
    To see if you're using GPU, easiest would be to just look at the nvidia control panel and see if gpu memory usage goes up when you run the thing.

You can modify the generate_unconditional_samples.py thing to specify a certain length:

def sample_model(
    model_name='117M',
    seed=None,
    nsamples=0,
    batch_size=1,
    length=None,
    temperature=1,
    top_k=0,
    top_p=0.0
    ):

Change length=None to whatever value you want.

Also, inside train.py there are a bunch of commandline arguments. This one is relevant to memory stuff: --memory_saving_gradients
    Last edited by NichG; 2020-09-15 at 09:54 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
    I'd think more like 5 or 10 iterations rather than 1000 for fine-tuning unless you have a large amount of data to fine-tune with.
    The .txt file is about 8 megabytes.

Omegaupdate Forum

23. - Top - End - #23

The .txt file is about 8 megabytes.
    So I guess I'd try maybe 10 iterations and see where that gets, and push further if its still too generic.

24. - Top - End - #24

Regarding the interactive sample program. The tutorial said something about modifying it to take text files as inputs in order to allow inputs with line breaks. Do you have any idea how to do that.

EDIT:
    Additionally, is there any way to use a saved model older than the latest one? The checkpoint file doesn't seem to spawn copies when the training program autosaves the way the other files do.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-09-28 at 03:10 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

25. - Top - End - #25

Regarding the interactive sample program. The tutorial said something about modifying it to take text files as inputs in order to allow inputs with line breaks. Do you have any idea how to do that.

EDIT:
    Additionally, is there any way to use a saved model older than the latest one? The checkpoint file doesn't seem to spawn copies when the training program autosaves the way the other files do.
    So there's a bit in the code that says:

Code:
    while True:
       raw_text = input("Model prompt >>> ")
       while not raw_text:
          print('Prompt should not be empty!')
    That's what's getting the text that you're going to process. You could replace that with something like:

Code:
    f = open(filename,"r")
    raw_text = f.read()
    f.close()
    Note that Python is picky about indentation, so when you remove that outer 'while True:' loop you have to make sure that everything under it is de-indented to the same level correctly. E.g. if you had

Code:
    while True:
       aaa
       while False:
          bbb
       ccc
    ddd
    Then removing the outer while loop, it would become:

Code:
    aaa
    while False:
       bbb
    ccc
    ddd
    As far as checkpoints, GPT-2 checkpoints should be rather large, no? So it's not surprising if they're not storing each one separately. So you'd have to pick which checkpoints you want to preserve somehow (e.g. copy them to a separate file during the training process, for example).

26. - Top - End - #26

So there's a bit in the code that says:

Code:
    while True:
       while not raw_text:
          print('Prompt should not be empty!')
    That's what's getting the text that you're going to process. You could replace that with something like:

Code:
    f = open(filename,"r")
    raw_text = f.read()
    f.close()
    Note that Python is picky about indentation, so when you remove that outer 'while True:' loop you have to make sure that everything under it is de-indented to the same level correctly. E.g. if you had

Code:
    while True:
       aaa
       while False:
          bbb
       ccc
    ddd
    Then removing the outer while loop, it would become:

Code:
    aaa
    while False:
       bbb
    ccc
    ddd
    so would the "r" part be the name of the file I'm going to have it read? Or do I replace the word "filename" with the filename? And if so, do I need to put the full filepath in?

As far as checkpoints, GPT-2 checkpoints should be rather large, no? So it's not surprising if they're not storing each one separately. So you'd have to pick which checkpoints you want to preserve somehow (e.g. copy them to a separate file during the training process, for example).
    I don't mean the model file, I mean the file actually named "checkpoint" which is only 1 kb

Omegaupdate Forum

27. - Top - End - #27

The "r" thing tells it to read the file ("w" means write, "rb" means read binary, etc). Replace filename with the actual name of the file (in quotes).

If the checkpoints are only 1kb, I don't think you can generate anything from them. It must be some other kind of statistics tracking output file?

28. - Top - End - #28

Ok, I've got:

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/env python3

import fire
    import json
    import os
    import numpy as np
    import tensorflow as tf

def interact_model(
        model_name='117M',
        seed=None,
        nsamples=1,
        batch_size=1,
        length=None,
        temperature=1,
        top_k=0,
        top_p=0.0
    ):
        """
        Interactively run the model
        :model_name=117M : String, which model to use
        :seed=None : Integer seed for random number generators, fix seed to reproduce
         results
        :nsamples=1 : Number of samples to return total
        :batch_size=1 : Number of batches (only affects speed/memory).  Must divide nsamples.
        :length=None : Number of tokens in generated text, if None (default), is
         determined by model hyperparameters
        :temperature=1 : Float value controlling randomness in boltzmann
         distribution. Lower temperature results in less random completions. As the
         temperature approaches zero, the model will become deterministic and
         repetitive. Higher temperature results in more random completions.
        :top_k=0 : Integer value controlling diversity. 1 means only 1 word is
         considered for each step (token), resulting in deterministic completions,
         while 40 means 40 words are considered at each step. 0 (default) is a
         special setting meaning no restrictions. 40 generally is a good value.
        :top_p=0.0 : Float value controlling diversity. Implements nucleus sampling,
         overriding top_k if set to a value > 0. A good setting is 0.9.
        """
        if batch_size is None:
            batch_size = 1
        assert nsamples % batch_size == 0

enc = encoder.get_encoder(model_name)
        hparams = model.default_hparams()
        with open(os.path.join('models', model_name, 'hparams.json')) as f:
            hparams.override_from_dict(json.load(f))

if length is None:
            length = hparams.n_ctx // 2
        elif length > hparams.n_ctx:
            raise ValueError("Can't get samples longer than window size: %s" % hparams.n_ctx)

with tf.Session(graph=tf.Graph()) as sess:
            context = tf.placeholder(tf.int32, [batch_size, None])
            np.random.seed(seed)
            tf.set_random_seed(seed)
            output = sample.sample_sequence(
                hparams=hparams, length=length,
                context=context,
                batch_size=batch_size,
                temperature=temperature, top_k=top_k, top_p=top_p
            )

saver = tf.train.Saver()
            ckpt = tf.train.latest_checkpoint(os.path.join('models', model_name))
            saver.restore(sess, ckpt)

f = open("sample.txt","r")
    raw_text = f.read()
    f.close()
    context_tokens = enc.encode(raw_text)
    generated = 0
    for _ in range(nsamples // batch_size):
    		out = sess.run(output, feed_dict={
    			context: [context_tokens for _ in range(batch_size)]
    		})[:, len(context_tokens):]
    		for i in range(batch_size):
    			generated += 1
    			text = enc.decode(out[i])
    			print("=" * 40 + " SAMPLE " + str(generated) + " " + "=" * 40)
    			print(text)
    print("=" * 80)

if __name__ == '__main__':
        fire.Fire(interact_model)
    But it's outputting the error:

Code:
      File "text_insert_conditional_samples.py", line 73, in <module>
    NameError: name 'enc' is not defined
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-10-04 at 10:18 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

29. - Top - End - #29

Ok, I've got:

Looks like you removed one too many indents, so the stuff that used to be in 'def interact_model' is now just being executed. Try:

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/env python3

import fire
    import json
    import os
    import numpy as np
    import tensorflow as tf

def interact_model(
        model_name='117M',
        seed=None,
        nsamples=1,
        batch_size=1,
        length=None,
        temperature=1,
        top_k=0,
        top_p=0.0
    ):
        """
        Interactively run the model
        :model_name=117M : String, which model to use
        :seed=None : Integer seed for random number generators, fix seed to reproduce
         results
        :nsamples=1 : Number of samples to return total
        :batch_size=1 : Number of batches (only affects speed/memory).  Must divide nsamples.
        :length=None : Number of tokens in generated text, if None (default), is
         determined by model hyperparameters
        :temperature=1 : Float value controlling randomness in boltzmann
         distribution. Lower temperature results in less random completions. As the
         temperature approaches zero, the model will become deterministic and
         repetitive. Higher temperature results in more random completions.
        :top_k=0 : Integer value controlling diversity. 1 means only 1 word is
         considered for each step (token), resulting in deterministic completions,
         while 40 means 40 words are considered at each step. 0 (default) is a
         special setting meaning no restrictions. 40 generally is a good value.
        :top_p=0.0 : Float value controlling diversity. Implements nucleus sampling,
         overriding top_k if set to a value > 0. A good setting is 0.9.
        """
        if batch_size is None:
            batch_size = 1
        assert nsamples % batch_size == 0

enc = encoder.get_encoder(model_name)
        hparams = model.default_hparams()
        with open(os.path.join('models', model_name, 'hparams.json')) as f:
            hparams.override_from_dict(json.load(f))

if length is None:
            length = hparams.n_ctx // 2
        elif length > hparams.n_ctx:
            raise ValueError("Can't get samples longer than window size: %s" % hparams.n_ctx)

with tf.Session(graph=tf.Graph()) as sess:
            context = tf.placeholder(tf.int32, [batch_size, None])
            np.random.seed(seed)
            tf.set_random_seed(seed)
            output = sample.sample_sequence(
                hparams=hparams, length=length,
                context=context,
                batch_size=batch_size,
                temperature=temperature, top_k=top_k, top_p=top_p
            )

saver = tf.train.Saver()
            ckpt = tf.train.latest_checkpoint(os.path.join('models', model_name))
            saver.restore(sess, ckpt)

f = open("sample.txt","r")
            raw_text = f.read()
            f.close()
            generated = 0
            for _ in range(nsamples // batch_size):
    		out = sess.run(output, feed_dict={
    			context: [context_tokens for _ in range(batch_size)]
    		})[:, len(context_tokens):]
    		for i in range(batch_size):
    			generated += 1
    			text = enc.decode(out[i])
    			print("=" * 40 + " SAMPLE " + str(generated) + " " + "=" * 40)
    			print(text)
            print("=" * 80)

if __name__ == '__main__':
        fire.Fire(interact_model)
    Last edited by NichG; 2020-10-05 at 08:22 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

That, plus changing a bunch of tabs to spaces, worked. I got it working shortly after you posted it.

One more question. Is there any way to make it automatically log output text to a file? I recently lost some outputs because I forgot to copy and paste before closing the program.

Omegaupdate Forum