New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Week 3] Which is the Playground's favorite monster?! (2.0) - Dungeons & _______!

Welcome to week 3 of us finding out popularity on monsters by direct vote!

You may vote freely for any number of monsters of the selected theme, and at the end of each day for a whole week, we'll see which one was the favoirte 7 days later.
    This isn't a competition, just a game, and as a game, everyone is entitled to their opinion of which monster is the best for them, so no arguments please, be good bois. Feel free to say why you love your picks, to help us expand on our viewpoint of that particular creature.
    Any vote cast as a reply will be added or counted, so if your monster isn't named yet, vote for it and it will appear and compete~!

This week's theme is:

Dragon type
    Art by Daren Bader.
    Artwork found in the Player's Handbook.

The end date will be next Wednesday, July 8th.
    Any source in 5e is fine, as there isn't that much to pick from (yet), and for those obscure 3rd parties, just point out where are they located for the sake of reference~

My vote: I'm going to vote this time for the Pseudodragon, they are just like cats, except you know, the non-cat stuff they do. I don't know, they are way too likable and adorable for their own good, and I even believe they are better statted than in 3.5 lorewise (but that's just how I see them). Their non-5e lore is great too, and thus they get my vote~

Creature Creature Type [Tag] Source
    Votes
    Amethyst Dragon Dragon Strongholds & Followers, p220
    Black Dragon Dragon Monster Manual, p87
    Brass Dragon Dragon Monster Manual, p104
    Copper Dragon Dragon Monster Manual, p110
    Faerie Dragon Dragon Monster Manual, p133
    Gold Dragon Dragon Monster Manual, p113
    Green Dragon Dragon Monster Manual, p93
    Guard Drake Dragon Volo's Guide to Monsters, p158
    Pseudodragon Dragon Monster Manual, p254
    Red Dragon Dragon Monster Manual, p97
    Ruby Dragon Dragon Strongholds & Followers, p202
    Shadow Dragon Dragon Monster Manual, p85
    Silver Dragon Dragon Monster Manual, p116
    Steel Dragon Dragon Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage, p273Referenced
    Turtle Dragon Dragon Monster Manual, p119
    Wyvern Dragon Monster Manual, p303

Spoiler: Playground's Favorite Monster's Week (3.5) Index.
    Show
    Week Type/Subtype
    Most voted!
    [Week 1] Aberration Type
    Aboleth.
    [Week 2] Dragon Type
    Pseudodragon.
    [Week 3] Lawful Subtype.
    Inevitable, Marut.
    [Week 4] Undead Type.
    Lich.
    [Week 5] Ooze Type.
    Living Spell.
    [Week 6] Earth Subtype.
    Earth Elemental.
    [Week 7] Outsider Type.
    Asmodeus, Lord of the Ninth
    Spoiler: Playground's Favorite Monster's Week (5e) Index.
    Show
    Week Theme
    Most voted!
    [Week 1] Aberration Type
    Aboleth
    [Week 2] Humanoid Type
    Kobold
    [Week 3] Dragon Type
    Pseudodragon

Disclaimer: I am not sure where this thread should be located, as is D&D 5e specific, but isn't addressing any rules, so feel free to move it to the appropiate forum if neccesary. Thanks.
    Last edited by Yael; 2020-07-09 at 02:55 AM.
    Check out which is the Playground's favorite Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    "Narass, what's the scouter say about their power level?"

"**** if I know."
    >> My Extended Signature <<

Hey guys, I'm a vestige! And a spell!

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: [Week 3] Which is the Playground's favorite monster?! (2.0) - Dungeons & _______!

Yeah, going to go with pseudodragon as well.

They are pretty fun. In particular I like to apply the spellcasting variant rules to a psudodragon... to provide cantrips

How are you handelling template type dragons (dracolich/shadow)? Is a shadow white dragon a white dragon or its own thing?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: [Week 3] Which is the Playground's favorite monster?! (2.0) - Dungeons & _______!

Ever since reading The Moonshae trilogy I have always loved faerie dragons.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll squeeze in my choice via technicality, since DMM's Stalagma is actually just a reskinned silver and her brief appearance doesn't fit well into the established lore that I can find. But alas, a steel dragon has appeared in 5e, and based more on earlier editions I think they're my favorites.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I will second steel dragon, but there is a massive dragon list in 5e articles(comics)
    This is the comic
    It is at the bottom, but all of it is worth reading.
    Not all are in 5e though, but was created during 5e D&D.
    Fun read.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

I’ll jump on the farie and pseudo dragon.

Wyverns and dragon turtles are cool too.

If you only mean true dragons, then I’m all for brass and red dragons. Red, because they’re fun to roleplay, brass because their conversation seeking nature can lead to all sorts of fun misunderstandings.
    When I ask how to get a nail out of piece of wood, please don't tell me why screws are better fastners.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Roc-rocks fall fall and everybody dies-dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by ftafp View Post
    Acid comes in a burlap sack, arrows come in a vase
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Newton's 3rd law of motion seems to apply in 5e.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Weaponized chickens will be fed ball bearings. When ready to use, feed them a potion of alche-seltzer, then toss at enemy. Cruel, but effective.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

From Strongholds & Followers by Matt Colville,

The Gemstone Dragons,

Ancient Ruby Dragon for my personal favorite. Legendary actions for perceptions checks, making stealth builds work for it. The lair actions, to mess with everyone's long rest dreams, helps to reintroduce NPCs in a fun way. Saving throws get turned up a bit, allowing lower minions with saves or spell casters with hold person, a better chance to contribute to the fight.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

92% of forum users no longer put made-up statistics in their signatures. If you're part of the 8% who still do, copy and paste this into your signature.

8. - Top - End - #8

HalflingWizardGirl

I’m gonna go for the gold dragon because I’m a sucker for the Big Good.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Guard drakes. Easily my favourites. They re cute, can offer help in combat, and are just generally lovely
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2020-07-03 at 12:54 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

I'm putting in my vote for Green Dragons.

Why greens?

Because while other dragons covet gold, gems or magic for their hordes, Green Dragons horde connections. Masters of diplomacy, deceit, intrigue and manipulation, they look at other intelligent creatures as assets, to be influenced, corrupted or otherwise bent to their will. They are willing to play the long game to get what they want.

To me this makes Green Dragons much more interesting and entertaining adversaries.

In the current home campaign I run, the players have formed an alliance with a Young Green Dragon in the High Forest that has convinced them she has changed her ways and plans to follow Mielikki. She has been helping steer the adventurers towards evil threats in the forest, including some of her own siblings. What's really happening is that she's getting the adventurers to help eliminate the competition without getting implicated in the process.
    Last edited by Yakmala; 2020-07-02 at 02:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

I second/third Pseudodragons.
    Schrodinger's Post: everything I post is either extremely wrong or extremely right, and no one knows which until someone fact checks it.

I am here for two reasons; criticizing people's decisions, and adding to my abomination of a homebrew google document that is over 80 pages long.

Stay fresh y'all, and always play Wisdom casters!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I'll go with the classic, the icon, the legend: Red dragon. Dragons should be burninating the peasants and their thatched-roof cottages, hoarding immense piles of treasure in their lairs, and generally be buttholes, and no other dragon does that as well as red.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Gonna have to go with Faerie dragon. Love it so much. Also rainbows.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

14. - Top - End - #14

Goblin

I like my dragons sparkly, so I'll go with the Amethyst Gem Dragon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Red Dragon. They're bigger. They're badder. Ladies and gentlemen, they're too much for Mr Indred... uh sorry wrong genre. But yeah, they're to the top dog, final boss, the iconic big bad guy dragon.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I am going to have to say Shadow Dragon, Deadly undead spawning breath weapon, bonus action hide, wide spread damage resistance. And back in the day could cause permanent level loss. Great dragon for horror as much as action.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

From among the chromatic, the red dragon.
    This is "the" dragon, the timeless classic, the one that breathes fire and hoards every coin.

From among the metallic, the silver dragon.
    This one goes full "Yup, just hanging out with my buddies". The curator angle is cool too.

From among the others, the dragon turtle.
    Because it amuses me how close we are to having an official stat block for Bowser.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have an affinity for the dragon Turtle.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Tie between silver dragon and black dragon, I think those are the two best dragon designs D&D has.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Shout out to great draconic creatures from older editions, that wouldn't have the dragon type in 5e.
    Show

Brainstealer Dragon

"Run! It is Cthulhu!"
    "It looks like Cthulhu, but due to international copyright laws, it is not."
    "Still we should run like it is Cthulhu!"
    "Though it isn't."
    "Aaaaaaaaaah!"

This brainstealer dragon is, of course, the result of illithid ceremorphosis on a dragon.

Catastrophic Dragons

Pictured above: a wildfire dragon, an avalanche dragon, and a typhoon dragon. There are others.

Basically, what if MToF's elder elementals didn't behave like beasts, but like dragons?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Throwing back to 2e, the Mercury Dragon. Fast, excitable, and able to use their wings as solar reflectors to burn all who oppose them.

But if we’re going 5e only, then I’ll have to go with Copper Dragons. Something about them that I’ve always liked. They’re like 6-ton gnomes.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Black Dragons

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Spoiler: Shout out to great draconic creatures from older editions, that wouldn't have the dragon type in 5e.
    Show

Brainstealer Dragon

"Run! It is Cthulhu!"
    "Though it isn't."
    "Aaaaaaaaaah!"

This brainstealer dragon is, of course, the result of illithid ceremorphosis on a dragon.

Catastrophic Dragons

Pictured above: a wildfire dragon, an avalanche dragon, and a typhoon dragon. There are others.

Basically, what if MToF's elder elementals didn't behave like beasts, but like dragons?
    So, I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Cthulu and all of H.P. lovecrafts works are public domain and free to use for anyone. Not because of time, but because he never copyrighted the ideas. In life he encouraged many of his writer friends to use his ideas(like the necronomicon) and I'm pretty sure they remained uncopyrighted in death.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Pseudodragon all the way for me, they're adorable.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    Pseudodragon all the way for me, they're adorable.
    Augh why would you tie-break with that! They're not even real dragons,

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    So, I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Cthulu and all of H.P. lovecrafts works are public domain and free to use for anyone. Not because of time, but because he never copyrighted the ideas. In life he encouraged many of his writer friends to use his ideas(like the necronomicon) and I'm pretty sure they remained uncopyrighted in death.
    That's possible. I was just referencing the "Run, it is Godzilla!" scene from the third Austin Powers.

27. - Top - End - #27

Wyvern.

Heraldic symbol, can be encountered at reasonable levels, just fast enough to be a recurring threat during that time, most fun to use as a mount.

Basically non-epic dragons that can be a problem for local communities without totally overwhelming them and overtaking and defining the story.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    You say that to Mr Soft Belly's pouty face!
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D&D_Fan View Post
    I will second steel dragon, but there is a massive dragon list in 5e articles(comics)
    This is the comic
    It is at the bottom, but all of it is worth reading.
    Not all are in 5e though, but was created during 5e D&D.
    Fun read.
    I just learned about Steel Dragons, they are pretty interesting on what they do, and how they do it. Also their purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Show

Brainstealer Dragon

"Run! It is Cthulhu!"
    "Though it isn't."
    "Aaaaaaaaaah!"

Catastrophic Dragons

Oh boy, the Brainstealer Dragon is my second favorite from 3.5 just after Tome Dragons, kinda sad they didn't make it into the big 5 (I learned about Tome and Brainstealers after making the first edition of WITPFM, so yeah).

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    How dare you speak of Fluffy Ears like that?!

As for now, votes are over~
    The winner is, surprisingly unexpected (not), the tiny cat-like dragon that is everyone's aim for a familiar, the Pseudodragon. Come to think of it, they also won during 3.5's edition of Favorite Monster I guess they are that likable. They were followed by the iconic Red Dragons (which I love for their simplicity), which in my opinion, were always a strong choice.

New thread is up.
    Check out which is the Playground's favorite Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    "Narass, what's the scouter say about their power level?"

"**** if I know."
    >> My Extended Signature <<

Hey guys, I'm a vestige! And a spell!

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion.