New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who (again)

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

On that point....she could have died previously. She didn't seem all that concerned/confused/shocked/insert emotion here when she did regenerate.

Do Timelords get any kind of innate knowledge as to how regeneration works?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jenny didn't seem to know she would regenerate.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who (again) [SPOILERS]

Just finished DotM, and... wha...?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I feel like the child must be Amy's, and also must be the Doctor's, but I'm having trouble believing that the two had it together. (Though the Silence could have made them forget conceiving her, I find it unlikely and will be rather disappointed if that's all Moffat can come up with.) So I don't know what to think.

Also, I think that this two-parter lived up to its promise of bettering Blink, though it's a close one. The sheer mind-bendingness triumphs for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    DW isn't much for hard science. I'd never accept that from, say, Star Trek.
    Oh, you mean Star "Dilithium Crystal" Trek?

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Tennant was an angsty war vet, whereas Smith is a lunatic in a fez.

3. - Top - End - #213

The little girl.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think she is just a timelord that the silence "kidnapped" and forced to regenerate into a little girl.
    It's where they got the Necron TARDIS from. As the doctor said they don't build anything themselves.

Exploding TARDIS from season five.

Spoiler
    Show
    So they are responsible for blowing up the Tardis. Why? How?
    Last edited by Tiger Duck; 2011-05-01 at 01:04 AM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Happy View Post
    Exploding TARDIS from season five.

Spoiler
    Show
    So they are responsible for blowing up the Tardis. Why? How?
    Spoiler
    Show
    So that the necron TARDIS and little girl can take the place of the current TARDIS and the Doctor. Hence the killing of the Doctor at the beginning of E01. If it's indeed the little girl inside the suit, and she kills him, then it's entirely possible that the Silents have manipulated her into doing that, too.

To achieve what, though...

5. - Top - End - #215

Quote Originally Posted by Lioness View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So that the necron TARDIS and little girl can take the place of the current TARDIS and the Doctor. Hence the killing of the Doctor at the beginning of E01. If it's indeed the little girl inside the suit, and she kills him, then it's entirely possible that the Silents have manipulated her into doing that, too.

To achieve what, though...
    Maybe it's just me, but...

Spoiler
    Show
    I think it would be rather poetic if they were manipulating the young Time Lady to kill the Doctor as revenge for what he did to their species.
    LGBTitP

6. - Top - End - #216

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzie Fuzz View Post
    Just finished DotM, and... wha...?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I feel like the child must be Amy's, and also must be the Doctor's, but I'm having trouble believing that the two had it together. (Though the Silence could have made them forget conceiving her, I find it unlikely and will be rather disappointed if that's all Moffat can come up with.) So I don't know what to think.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is probably the case. She was clearly related to Amy in some way (most likely her daughter). The aliens also said Amy would "Bring the Silence", even though that's what we call the aliens themselves. It might not be the best idea ever, but there you go.

I really hate how we keep getting subjected to these "Who will Amy choose?" scenes, and this only serves to make that worse. "You slept with him? How could you?!"

I still can't stand Amy.
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #217
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Doctor Who (again)

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    My theory: overlapping timelines. On timeline where Amy had a kid with the Doctor, one (ours) where she didn't. For some reason, the two timelines are colliding, hence the "pregnant/not pregnant/pregnant/not pregnant" thing the scanner did.
    You know, that would actually be a good explanation for the Doctor dying at the beginning of episode 1 as well...you may have hit on something there!

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Amy Pond : "I don't want to tell Rory this baby might have three heads, or like, a.. a Time Head or something"

The Doctor : "What's a Time Head?"

Little Girl : "THIS is a Time Head!" (Glowy regeneration energy explodes out of her head).

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Did my eyes decieve me or was the Doctor's scanner alternating "positive" and "negative"?
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was. Which might be linked to what Rory was talking about how sometimes he remembers the last part of the other timeline, and sometimes he doesn't.
    However superb fighters they may be, they've no biological history or traditions to draw from. Thus "Look-It's a Monkey" works every time.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Firbolg in the Playground

The doctor's actions in this episode seem kind of amazingly nasty, but they didn't bring up any moral questions at all. Tennant angsted about doing things that were no way near this bad.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    The doctor's actions in this episode seem kind of amazingly nasty, but they didn't bring up any moral questions at all. Tennant angsted about doing things that were no way near this bad.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Because Tennant was an angsty war vet, whereas Smith is a lunatic in a fez.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

True, The Doctor doesn't normally resort to such measures, but in this case I think he figured he didn't have much of a choice. The aliens were doing significant harm to humanity, and this was the best chance to stop them. Also, he did give them a chance to run.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Because Tennant was an angsty war vet, whereas Smith is a lunatic in a fez.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like him this way much better!

13. - Top - End - #223
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    This Doctor seems to be willing to do much nastier things than previous incarnations. Though overall, I thought it was all a bit too easy. I mean, these Silents were supposed to be capable of making the TARDIS blow up and destroy all of reality at the end of last season. But they were beaten in just two episodes?

If that's the last we've seen of them, I will be very disappointed in the whole "Silence will fall" storyline.

And that scene where they dragged Nixon out to tell a couple of NASA scientists the Doctor was okay kind of summed up Rory's story function to me. He stood in the background and as they were leaving he says "America salutes you." In other words, in story terms he contributes nothing.

Watching Confidential after the show was a bit of an eye opener. Is it me, or is Matt Smith nowhere near as comfortable with the secondary aspects of taking on the highest profile role in British TV as David Tennant was. And that Moffat has become a simpering, overconfident and somewhat cocky figure over the last couple of years.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    True, The Doctor doesn't normally resort to such measures, but in this case I think he figured he didn't have much of a choice. The aliens were doing significant harm to humanity, and this was the best chance to stop them. Also, he did give them a chance to run.
    Were they doing harm? I mean, we didn't really see anything harmful that wasn't self-defence, if maybe a bit exaggerated self-defence.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like him this way much better!
    Aye, me too tbh.

Sort of related:

Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-05-01 at 09:17 AM. Reason: I'm not sure tangenically is a real word
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

So, took me almost a day but I finall got around to it (and we already got two more pages of discussion)
    I'll put spoilers there anyway...

Spoiler
    Show

Well, I couldn#t wipe the grin of my face for the lat 45 minutes except when I was too scared too grin. (Well, it happened a bit when Amy was stumbling through that house)
    Without going over everything: I liked the episode. I really did.
    It put me through the whole spectrum of emotions, including suffering with Rory, even though I assumes she was talking about him I can understand how he could have thought otherwise and felt horrible about it (still, eavesdropping telepathically on your wife is not a nice thing to do)

The way they took care of the silent... well, was to be expected at least when they got the shot of him saying it. It might be a bit rude (and mabe a bit in question andn weird considering how he never cared for them before and they... well, I guess they must have done something useful to humanity as well) but I guess they were up to no good. So it's fine. (Also, NOBODY ever before thought about just attacking them? Or just not on that big a scale?)

Also, I STILL keep getting confused by River -.-' I was thinking of some weird twist on their story when they had that last conversation but... well... it really was just their last kiss. (Which means quite a few will be coming. Also, is it River's kiss that makes people lose control pver their limbs or ist it just how Eleven acts when kissing?)
    Overall... I don't mind her, but I mind how she is a bit too over the top. Dalek's are scared of her... that means she really has a reputation to hold up. And what she did to the silents today was... well... she#s not Solid Snake, for the Doctor's sake, was that really necessary?

Finally of course the last bis question is... what#s with the girl? I don't think it's Jenni, but really mostly because I don't like the idea of a timelord regenerating back to a child state. Of course the easiest would be to say it's Amy's child and... well... I'd put some bucks on that, too. For a while I was thinking maybe they didn#t put her in the suit but someone else (Amy/Doctor/???) put her in there to protect her from the silent or something... but that theory doesn't really hold up well. Guess there could be a lot of stuff going to happen and it will take a while.

Spoiler for next week: Karen Gillian as Amy Pond as Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Swan. Huzzah!
    Last edited by Kato; 2011-05-01 at 11:48 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

hehehe....

Spoiler
    Show
    I just love the image of The Master regenerating as a little girl....
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

-"Did the Doctor just hypnotise a billion people into committing genocide?"
    -"Yes, and it was awesome!"

Got to love the mad man with the box.

What if the Spacesuit killed the Doctor of its own accord? It was implied that it was capable of independent action. Perhaps the suit acts apart from the Time Girl? In which case, why do they need her trapped in it?

Well, maybe they need a Time Lady to operate their stolen Time Lord tech, which may or may not include the suit. No, that can't be right can it? Surely the Doctor or River would have noticed if they had Time Lord tech in the suit?

I wonder how much this storyline is going to play off of traditional alien encounter stories involving Greys. It's got the abduction thing going. I actually expected that the Silence might have artificially impregnated Amy. If they had, she'd not remember.

Which is kinda cheating as it would amount to 'this major plot point happened off-screen but we didn't bother to mention it'.

And then pirates next week. This season looks like it might be awesome.
    Burning feathers; not an angel

19. - Top - End - #229

Quotestorm!

Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    The thing River talked about at the end of Silence of the Library, where he took her on some sort of wonderful last adventure (which she didn't know was last), may very well have been an offscreen adventure with the Tenth.
    Except that Steven Moffat on Confidential after Time of Angels I think outright stated that that was the Doctor and River's second meeting. If not, then he heavily implied it.
    In any case, I find it hard to believe the Doctor could manage something River would find that wonderful back then when he barely knew her, and also somehow manage to do it without kissing her at any point.

That could also explain why she was less angsty about the Doctor having never met her before in Silence in the Library, because they'd gone out of strict reverse order by that point so she didn't necessarily think that would be her last meeting with the Doctor, even though it was his first.

Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    Also, point of debate beyond ravid 'OMGOMGOMG!', which is most of what you'll get from me. Current Who is definitely providing one season long story, to the extent that individual episodes don't have so much of a self-contained plot. I love this, my family less so. What do others think?
    I disagree with the premise of your question. Yes, Who now has big season-long arcs, but that has in no way detracted from the plots of individual episodes in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvil View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, we know that the kid at the end isn't Amy's baby (whatever's up with that whole baby thing), because she regenerated nine months after Amy first told the Doctor she was pregnant.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That kid..

.. probably doesn't have access to a TARDIS. I may be wrong, but just sayin'
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't see how that's in any way related. If that little girl was Amy's daughter, she was taken back into the past and deposited in 1960s America at some point, and that's completely unrelated to Amy telling the Doctor about her being pregnant (earlier in her timeline). If your argument had any merit it would be impossible for the little girl to be Amy's daughter simply because the girl was already a number of years old as opposed to negative several months.

But then, what's the significance of it being "6 months later"? I'm even more confused now.
    None in particular? It's just an arbitrary amount of time passing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lioness View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, I thought Rory's comment at the end was interesting..."Exactly what sort of Doctor are you?"

She just says "Archaeologist"...but, well, she could so easily be lying.
    She also introduced herself to the Doctor in Silence in the Library as an archaeologist, and referred to it when talking about Nixon in the first episode. Anyway, what would be the point in her lying about that?

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Dice View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    If that's the last we've seen of them, I will be very disappointed in the whole "Silence will fall" storyline.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If that's the last we've seen of them, I will eat my fez.

Watching Confidential after the show was a bit of an eye opener. Is it me, or is Matt Smith nowhere near as comfortable with the secondary aspects of taking on the highest profile role in British TV as David Tennant was? And that Moffat has become a simpering, overconfident and somewhat cocky figure over the last couple of years.
    I think it's just you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Spoiler for next week: Karen Gillan as Amy Pond as Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Swann. Huzzah!
    Nonsense. Amy Pond is much better than Elizabeth Swann.

Also, just rewatched the last episode and noticed something: The Doctor said he has the strangest feeling the little girl will find them. As of the end of the episode, she has not done so. So that's something to possibly bear in mind for the remainder of the series.

Regarding the use of spoiler tags, I think certainly we should spoiler things for a day or so after the episode is broadcast, to allow for people being a bit late, or on the wrong side of the Atlantic. But we could possibly extend that a bit, to allow the Australians to discuss the previous episode spoiler-free within that window if they wanted.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

20. - Top - End - #230
    Orc in the Playground

So in my half-asleep stupor last night, I decided that
    Spoiler
    Show
    River is the child of Amy and Rory, the Time Child is the child of River and the Doctor, and the Time Child is the woman who appeared to Wilf in The End of Time, thus making her the Doctor's mother. It's a loop, but a mostly non-incestuous one, and not stranger than a lot of Who storylines.

Can I sig this?

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

So in my half-asleep stupor last night, I decided that
    Spoiler
    Show
    River is the child of Amy and Rory, the Time Child is the child of River and the Doctor, and the Time Child is the woman who appeared to Wilf in The End of Time, thus making her the Doctor's mother. It's a loop, but a mostly non-incestuous one, and not stranger than a lot of Who storylines.

Can I sig this?
    1. My memory fails me; was there an explanation for why the Dr's mum turned up to Wilf?

2. Be my guest.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Orc in the Playground

1. My memory fails me; was there an explanation for why the Dr's mum turned up to Wilf?

2. Be my guest.
    I don't think we even know for sure that she was the Doctor's mother, canonically. Moffat has said that she was supposed to be, but the show itself hasn't offered any explanation about who she was, let alone why she showed up to Wilf. Nor why she was wearing a pantsuit.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Just checking did anyone else laugh hysterically when the Doctor ordered Nixon to tape record everything?

Also:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I really like that the Doctor is getting over his gun thing. I know it's supposed to be some sort of moral high ground or something, but we've seen him kill, destroy, blow up entire armies, and shrug off the murders of others. But somehow guns piss him off, yeah that's not hypocritical at all.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2011-05-01 at 04:13 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Just checking did anyone else laugh hysterically when the Doctor ordered Nixon to tape record everything?
    Yes. "Oh Dicky. Tricky Dicky. They're never going to forget you. Say hi to David Frost for me."

25. - Top - End - #235

I don't think we even know for sure that she was the Doctor's mother, canonically. Moffat has said that she was supposed to be, but the show itself hasn't offered any explanation about who she was, let alone why she showed up to Wilf. Nor why she was wearing a pantsuit.
    You mean Davies. It was Davies who said that. But no, there was nothing actually in the episode to indicate that.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    I think it's just you.
    Watch this and tell me there isn't an air of insufferable smugness around this man.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post

Also:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I really like that the Doctor is getting over his gun thing. I know it's supposed to be some sort of moral high ground or something, but we've seen him kill, destroy, blow up entire armies, and shrug off the murders of others. But somehow guns piss him off, yeah that's not hypocritical at all.
    Spoiler
    Show

And then told him at the end there's always a reason to be paranoid.

Heh.

Solution was very 8:00 in the morning. Perfect.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

28. - Top - End - #238

Watch this and tell me there isn't an air of insufferable smugness around this man.
    There is not an air of insufferable smugness around that man.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    There is not an air of insufferable smugness around that man.
    Yeah, agreeing.

Tiny bit of accidental smugness, maybe, but there's a lot more intentional self deprecation. And I rather like his reasoning for the decision.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Would it be possible
    Spoiler
    Show
    for a regenerating time lord to change sex? Or for a (seemingly) young female time lord to regenerate into an older male time lord that looks exactly like Matt Smith? Possibly through some wacky Doctor Who science? And then get shot?
    Not that I believe this will happen, just an entertaining thought I had.
    There's supposed to be a 12th Doctor, right? Or does 11 really go 300 or so years without dying?