- Dad

SLEEPSHY RISE

A game of Monsterhearts

Starring
    Amish Pirate as Timothy Oglevee Crompton
    Anarion as Annalee Sokolov
    Elanorin as Samael Hale
    Raz Fox as Elodie Faucher

It is a dark and stormy night, and the angel is on the warpath.

Beds have been overturned. Rooms have been raided. Sleeping nooks and crannies have been emptied. The cupboard under the stairs has been flushed out and the attic has been scoured. It has decided that tonight is a night when it shall enforce its no sleeping rule in full and so the grounds of Sleepshy Rise are thick with disoriented, grumpy and sleepy monsters all looking for a new hiding place.

This is a perilous environment. Everyone is on the loose, everyone is on edge, and all the ordinary power structures are in flux. Anything could happen. And you all really, really need to find place to settle in if you're going to be at all functional tomorrow.

Samael you haven't been spared the angel's wrath, but you have been here long enough to know about a nice hidden spire for this sort of thing. It's a quiet, out of the way bolt hole - a dilapidated tower that can only be entered from a hidden passage inside the walls and ideal for this kind of moment. You're just about to settle in when you smell warm, fresh blood - and in the dim light you see the quavering figure of Tim Crompton blundering into your hide-away. He's all packed up with his books and blankets and a terrified expression and he looks like he's been running. He is your prey and he is in your lair.

How do you make yourself known?

Tim, this has obviously been the worst night ever, but this place looks quiet and comfortable and you cannot go out there again. The Angel has turned over every rock and every beetle is scuttling out into the light and oh my god that metaphor should not be so literal and you can not go out there again. This is the only safe space in the entire castle and you are obviously the luckiest person ever to find it.

Tell me a bit about the horrible things you saw and how you made your way here.

Annalee, sometimes magic is in who you know. The angel doesn't fear your hexes, and none of these brutes or demons have the ability to assist you - except, perhaps, that chronic trouble-maker Eliode. She always has ways out and strange angles and strange ways with sleep - she's the name that comes to mind after the angel's deafening point-blank scream starts to fade from your ears. But you don't have anything on her that can compel obedience... you'll need to find a way to persuade or force her to work for you.

What is the plan as it exists in your head, before it meets the strange reality of the Reaper's daughter?

Eliode, you were staying up late to read anyway so you don't know what all the fuss is about. What is your room/space/nest/lair like? What were you reading? Give me the gossip!
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-07-17 at 09:16 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Monster Hearts IC] Sleepshy Rise: Shaken and Sleep Deprived

Elly Belly is easy. Just hand her something sparkly or fun and she goes straight for it. Honestly though, down the line Annalee’s going to need to get a laser pointer and see if Elly reacts to it like a cat. 70-30 odds she tries to grab it. But for now, the easiest plan is to just waltz in and give her a little energy. “Hi, we’re friends, what’s up buddy? Oh you’ll let me stay in your place? Thanks!” She might want to gossip or do something weird, doing something weird is kind of her whole thing, so Annalee is ready for that. But treat her like you already own the place and give her just a little bit of perkiness and she’ll do whatever you want.

That’s the plan at any rate.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2019-07-17 at 09:43 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, so, the really cool thing about Elodie (not El-di-ode, silly, you make her sound like an electric light or something, learn to read, right?) is that she can usually open the right door when she needs to, so her room is at the top of this little tower, looking right outta something from Rapunzel. There’s one door and it’s on the floor, unless you also count the wardrobe’s door, which her magic totally does. And it is full of flowers.

The room, I mean, not the wardrobe.

They’re hidden under discarded clothes, peeking out from under the bed, arrayed on the windowsill, hanging from the ceiling! But there’s a really high turnover rate, for some mysterious reason, so there’s a compost pile growing far down below, a heaped-up charnel pit of rotten petals and stems. It also means it’s borderline insufferable for anyone with a sensitive nose.

It’s great, surrounding herself with living things! She feels just like a gardener!

Also there’s a bead curtain and a MAMAMOO poster on the wall with lipstick smeared on it and a cute little kitten alarm clock which wakes you up with an evil laugh and a mini sun mobile hanging from the flowers on the ceiling and there’s crystals, like, everywhere, and a big mirror and a little mirror for outfit assessment and makeup respectively and there’s a picture of her precious Black Shuck slavering at the camera which sits by her bed and it was super mean of Dad to say she couldn’t bring Shuckie just because he causes lightning to strike any building he has a seizure in, but don’t worry she sneaks out to give him pats every time she remembers to, and there’s her stuffed Nidhogg on the bed because she still needs his help to get to sleep and there’s also some Cheezit boxes on the desk and that’s about it unless you want to ask me about anything else specifically!

Anyway Elodie was reading Adam’s Blood and Adam’s Boner: Humans, Dating, and You. She got it out of the library saying she needed it for class but her dad would freak if he caught her reading something this dirty. It’s for this reason her heart starts going a million miles an hour and she stuffs it in her pillow when the trapdoor goes “rap, rap, rap.”

“H-hey,” she says, self-consciously pushing her hair back behind her ear, aware she’s just wearing a baggy shirt and short shorts. She thought everybody was totally going to sleep! Geez, you zone out reading about “engagements” and suddenly everyone’s freaking out. “Big guy’s making a mess, huh? Come on in. We can, uh... have a...” What do you call it when it’s not a sleepover?

“...an over,” she concludes, and flashes a smile, hoping desperately that Annalee’s not going to a) make fun of her or b) immediately go to sleep. “Want some cheezits?”

[I am rolling to Turn Annalee On, as I will every time I get the opportunity to get y’all hot and bothered. I rolled a 6. Please destroy me.]
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

A bundle of warm-blooded panic fumbles in to the small spire room. His eyes narrows with annoyance because he just lost his secret knowledge of yet another decent hideout. He could swear the angel's admission policy had changed this year. This place felt fuller than ever of bumbling idiots students. Every single one either over the moon or crushed in defeat to be here. Either relishing in the dark influence that could be found from their fellow misfits or dreading the purgatory of the curriculum's attempt at rehabilitation. One or the other, there was no normal here, no humble mind simply taking it one day at a time, looking to just make the best of each day.

Except for one.

And he just barged in to his own private hideaway. Or, what used to be his own private hideaway. The secret was basically public knowledge the moment the human bustled in.

"Crompton, isn't it?" Samael finally said, voice low and soft, stepping away from the shadowy nook he'd stood in and towards the new arrival. He snapped an old, worn, dusty copy of Herman Melville's famous tale shut.

Did he honestly bring a blanket? Like a toddler?

"You're new." It wasn't a question.

Samael put the book down on the little sill of the tiny narrow window of the spire and looked sideways over his shoulder towards Timothy, eying him head to toe. The lighting in here was dim, not to attract undue attention, but it was enough to show the thirst in his eyes.

[Rolling to Turn Tim On: 5+4+2=11 I take another String on Tim and he chooses a reaction]
    Last edited by Elanorin; 2019-07-18 at 04:21 AM.
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

"Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Tim, this has obviously been the worst night ever, but this place looks quiet and comfortable and you cannot go out there again. The Angel has turned over every rock and every beetle is scuttling out into the light and oh my god that metaphor should not be so literal and you can not go out there again. This is the only safe space in the entire castle and you are obviously the luckiest person ever to find it.

Tell me a bit about the horrible things you saw and how you made your way here.
    Why hasn't there been a zombie movie that's gotten the living dead right?

Why hasn't some enterprising makeup artist accurately captured the myriad of organic matter that can - at any time - slough off a dead body?

Why is it that nobody considers the unspeakable trail of detritus that must follow wherever a zombie may go, the extent that a horde multiplies said leavings, and the logistical and gastrointensinal challenges that must await any soul who wishes to cross their past path?

Oh, that's right! Because it's the worst thing any person should ever have to see and he will - ironically - take this night to his grave. Do you want to know how poor Timothy Crompton made it to this tower, when so many others did not? It was because this was the least undesireable of the options set before him.

What's that? You want to know how he discovered the secret passage that led him helplessly into the clutches of a terrible vampire? Oh, that one's easy.

It's because the universe decided he hadn't suffered enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    A bundle of warm-blooded panic fumbles in to the small spire room. His eyes narrows with annoyance because he just lost his secret knowledge of yet another decent hideout. He could swear the angel's admission policy had changed this year. This place felt fuller than ever of bumbling idiots students. Every single one either over the moon or crushed in defeat to be here. Either relishing in the dark influence that could be found from their fellow misfits or dreading the purgatory of the curriculum's attempt at rehabilitation. One or the other, there was no normal here, no humble mind simply taking it one day at a time, looking to just make the best of each day.

Except for one.

And he just barged in to his own private hideaway. Or, what used to be his own private hideaway. The secret was basically public knowledge the moment the human bustled in.

"Crompton, isn't it?" Samael finally said, voice low and soft, stepping away from the shadowy nook he'd stood in and towards the new arrival. He snapped an old, worn, dusty copy of Herman Melville's famous tale shut.
    "I'M AWAKE!" Timothy shrieked, leaping with fright. He managed to only drop some of his worldly possessions. "Y-Yes. Of the...the Wilkenstonshire Cromptons. Sir." He added as he scrambled to collect his things.

Did he honestly bring a blanket? Like a toddler?

"You're new." It wasn't a question.

Samael put the book down on the little sill of the tiny narrow window of the spire and looked sideways over his shoulder towards Timothy, eying him head to toe. The lighting in here was dim, not to attract undue attention, but it was enough to show the thirst in his eyes.

[Rolling to Turn Tim On: 5+4+2=11 I take another String on Tim and he chooses a reaction]
    Oh. That was a...novel way to be looked at. (Okay, maybe it happened once before but he couldn't see well enough to check that time no wait don't think about that right now)

Timothy froze, halfway to stuffing a pillow into his bundle of things, suddenly feeling lightheaded for some reason. Perhaps it was the color simultaneously draining and flushing from his cheeks? Perhaps it was realization that he was caught in a trap most perilous and inescapable? Perhaps it was the thought that those noises he heard so long ago were muffled by two windows and at least fifteen feet and there could be plenty of nuance that he'd missed STOP IT YOU STUPID BRAIN CAN YOU PLEASE THINK OF SOMETHING USEFUL

"Not any more new than the other freshman. Sir."

Antagonizing your soon-to-be killer: Brilliant start.

He gulped audibly, and continued. "I'm terribly sorry about all this, I hadn't the slightest idea you were here. With all the commotion, I was...looking for a quiet corner to study in. I found my way here, you surprised me, I dropped my things, you started talking, I started talking, I'm still talking, I haven't quite stopped yet, so I will get on that immediately." He clamped his mouth shut, and assumed his best, most deferential parade rest. Yes, nothing at all to worry about from this meek student of yours. Totally harmless. You can let him go at any time, with zero consequences or regret. "I don't suppose you'd have a closet I could...camp out in?"

[I choose Timothy gets awkward and embarrased.]
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    “...an over,” she concludes, and flashes a smile, hoping desperately that Annalee’s not going to a) make fun of her or b) immediately go to sleep. “Want some cheezits?”

[I am rolling to Turn Annalee On, as I will every time I get the opportunity to get y’all hot and bothered. I rolled a 6. Please destroy me.]
    As you walk across the room in your state of semi-undress, you pass by one of your open windows. For a moment you're silhouetted perfectly in light, the absolute figure of a woman. And Annalee is not the only one watching.

Outside Carmen Rakam, had turned her head up at just the wrong moment and she sees you there like the angel of death. She doesn't see the cheezits or the dead flowers or the baggy shirt, she sees the most beautiful creature in all the world. She stops and stares so long that the zombie (Cameron Butler, he's an okay sort) almost gets out from under her, but a solid axe blow through the ribcage puts a stop to that.

Carmen stands up, wipes the blood from her hands and picks up her axe, stake, throwing stars, miniature flamethrower and katana. She looks up at the window again - the girl is gone, and she lets out a disappointed but dreamy sigh. Then she shakes her head. Focus Carmen! The Lord Vigilant warned you that they'd try to tempt you in this cursed place! You're here to destroy the forces of evil, not swoon over them!

But... what if she was a human? A prisoner in this place? Maybe she needed to be rescued, not hunted. She looked human, right? It couldn't hurt to take a little look...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Annalee, who does not have the benefit of Carmen Rakam's perfect silhouette lighting, looks at Elodie once, eyes taking in her baggy shirt and short shorts top to bottom and casually dismisses the entire outfit without so much as twitching her mouth. She says nothing about it though. She herself is wearing a black soft polyester t-shirt and a pair of black pajama pants with rabbits hopping up and down the legs, rabbits being in fashion this season. She never really looks great, but the outfit is a solid choice and soft to the touch, which would be nice if you were to touch her and have enough time to enjoy it before she started chanting in tongues and causing blisters to start sprouting all over the hand.

Anyway, where were we? Ah right, the part where Annalee gladly accepts your invitation and takes the box of cheez-its right out of your hand before sitting down on a crystal-bedecked bean bag cushion that doesn't have any dirt on it, putting her feet up on the nearby clothes pile (open toe sandals still on, of course), and munching on a few cheez-its. "Sure thanks Elly-belly! We can have an 'over' if you want" (she does air quotes when she says over). "what you reading over there?"
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Elly-belly. That’s... what is she supposed to do with that, anyway? Are you calling her fat? Because that’s mean! And also, just because she has some very un-skeletal curves doesn’t mean she’s fat, you’re just jealous, and she totally doesn’t pinch her thighs in the shower and worry about exactly that.

(Between you and me, she’s closer to “bombshell,” but she did not have a lot of healthy body examples growing up, so anything past “skeletal” makes her worry. A lot.)

And then you ask the question. She goes aaaaaaall red, even as she rolls her eyes and tries to play it off. Her heart’s racing as she comes up with a casual answer. “Oh, nothing, really.” That is a terrible answer, try again. “Just some homework. Bleh. Totally boring. But now that you’re here for the over, who even cares about books? We are doing our toenails.

And she dives into the Makeup Pile by the mirror, looking for the Radioactive Puddle Green and the Jack’s Head Orange. Which, oh no, leaves her with her back turned to Annalee, which gives her an opening for Mischief.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

And then you ask the question. She goes aaaaaaall red, even as she rolls her eyes and tries to play it off. Her heart’s racing as she comes up with a casual answer. “Oh, nothing, really.” That is a terrible answer, try again. “Just some homework. Bleh. Totally boring. But now that you’re here for the over, who even cares about books? We are doing our toenails.

And she dives into the Makeup Pile by the mirror, looking for the Radioactive Puddle Green and the Jack’s Head Orange. Which, oh no, leaves her with her back turned to Annalee, which gives her an opening for Mischief.
    Annalee tries not to laugh. She's looking for a place to sleep, so she's very willing to be tolerant tonight. That's the price, free place to sleep, indulge Elodie, try to only roll her eyes once every 15 minutes or so, don't cast any unnecessary hexes. But then Elodie decides to just turn her back and dive into her stuff while Annalee is surrounded by free strings and tokens. Ah, it's just too good to pass up. She doesn't even have to get up! She does that thing with her feet where she picks up a shirt in between them from the laundry pile and then pulls it over to her. She looks it over: is that Twilight Sparkle shouting Science! ugh what a nerd. Nevermind how Annalee recognizes which pony it is. It will do perfectly though. She quickly rolls it up and stuffs it in her shower bag next to the toothbrush, shampoo, and feminine products.

[If that's not interrupted, Annalee will mark a sympathetic token on Elodie. If it is, she'll mark it anyway, but we'll have to talk about it.]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

And Annalee, flush in her daring and flawless theft, an absolute shadow in the night, undetectable and unstoppable, looks up to see that, yes, Elodie did find the nail polish, and yes, Elodie did just watch her steal a sweaty post-gym shirt. (Because you never throw something in the hamper until you’re positive you won’t need to rewear it.)

Elodie gulps. On the one hand, that’s not cool and she likes that shirt and Twilight Sparkle is best pony. On the other hand, this is Anna Banana. This is the witch who can make horrible things happen to you. There are things so much worse than dying, and Annalee can think of way worse ones than Elodie can.

“...do you need a change of clothes?” Elodie awkwardly tries to imply that it’s her idea to give Annalee some clothes. “I, um, I could lend you one of my skirts?” They’re all a super pretty neon, or tie-die, or covered in cute little suns. “A-and... um...” please don’t ask to borrow her underwear please don’t ask please don’t ask anything else would be cool take her favorite shirt if you want but don’t make fun of her underwear

which is in its own separate “just in case of rewear” pile just under the bed

have mercy, please, for once in your life, Annalee
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2019-07-18 at 09:18 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

“...do you need a change of clothes?” Elodie awkwardly tries to imply that it’s her idea to give Annalee some clothes. “I, um, I could lend you one of my skirts?” They’re all a super pretty neon, or tie-die, or covered in cute little suns. “A-and... um...” please don’t ask to borrow her underwear please don’t ask please don’t ask anything else would be cool take her favorite shirt if you want but don’t make fun of her underwear

which is in its own separate “just in case of rewear” pile just under the bed

have mercy, please, for once in your life, Annalee
    Annalee looks over at Elodie. "Yeah, guess I could use something. You can keep the skirt though, yours are a little too bright for me? But the shirt is good, thanks!" Annalee is a good friend Elodie. You should be less nervous. She wants to borrow your stuff, not push too hard. You're so nice all the time, so why should she be mean to you? On that note, now that you've got the nail polish and she's finished eating the cheez-its and put the shirt away, she walks over to where you are and simply picks up the book you tried to tuck away so she can take a look at it while you unscrew the nail polish. It's her space, after all, so she's not being inappropriate. She even pulls her sandal off while she glances over the first few pages of the book and puts her foot up on the cushion next to you so you can paint her toe. What a good friend, right?
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

So the book’s all about human mating rituals. Though, really, it’s mostly about mortal humans, right? Not kids like you and Elodie. And it’s all about what the teens these days are into, like trading Pogs and going to the drive-in movie theater. That, and advice on how to feed on them without them noticing that’s actually pretty skeevy. “Thirty-one ways to blow their mortal mind!” “Dealing with the Seal-Skin Dilemma.” “Mayflies and Mountains: how to handle the age gap.”

That’s about as much as you have time to absorb before Elodie tackles you, trying to pry the book away. “No! No! Not! For you! No! Be at rest! Be at rest!!” Silly Elodie, that’s how you’re supposed to handle the restless dead, not snooping hex-happy witches. “You! Are losing! Over privileges!!”

I’m bouncing this one back to you, actually. Someone ends up a) with the book, b) sitting on the other one, c) ideally when Carmen shows up, and I’m not picking who.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

There’s an instant when Elodie comes at her where Annalee is evaluating whether shes really serious, really violent. Blink and you’ll miss it, she can tell Elodie isn’t. And with that she gladly fined up the book and lets Elodie tackle her and sit on her. She puts up only a modicum of resistance, just enough to make it fun. If you haven’t noticed, Annalee is not good at physical activity, like, at all.

When you have her on the ground though, and book secured, what you get isn’t an apology, but a chuckle. “Having fun? I bet that was way better than toenail painting. And oh. my. gosh! Elly Belly! I didn’t know you were into little Timmy! That’s so cute. You should have just told me you wanted a turn, I promise I didn’t use him all up. You be a good girl tonight and we’ll have a fun sleepover and then I’ll let you take a shot at him. Assuming the poor thing survives the Angel tonight.”

Yes, that’s right, she already had him and now she’s dangling him before you like she owns him. I don’t know if Elodie heard that rumor already or what, but Annalee’s straight up confirming it and telling you that you’re coming in 2nd place. Nothing you can do about it.

[Rolling to shut Elodie down and give her the Condition “2nd place.” I got a 9 and I’m not in reach of that shirt to bump it up, so you get to give out a condition in return.]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Elodie flushes, full of the blood of life, about as far from “elegant psychopomp” as you can get. In that sense, it’s almost like you’re doing her a favor, Annalee! Making her feel all those exquisite emotions, like “hurt feelings” and “jealousy” and “lethal embarrassment.”

“Why do you have to be such a creep,” Elodie says through tearful eyes, and smothers Annalee to death with a pillow.

Just kidding! The smothering is non-fatal, just enough to smear Annalee’s makeup a little bit and leave her sputtering while Elodie untangles herself from the pile and shoves the book underneath her mattress.

But don’t you feel a little greasy, Anna Banana? A little like a nasty creep skulking into other people’s lives? You should. Why don’t you go hang out in the basement with the ghouls and eat rotten bbq tenders? I’m sure that’s much more your speed.

[Inflicting “Creep” right back atcha!]

“Whatever. Let’s just get this Over over with,” Elodie says, wiping at her face to get rid of those incriminating tears. “You still want me to paint your nails, or are you saving that for your first date with him?” That doesn’t even make a lot of sense, as barbs go, Elodie! You gotta make up for it by putting some venom in it.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

But don’t you feel a little greasy, Anna Banana? A little like a nasty creep skulking into other people’s lives? You should. Why don’t you go hang out in the basement with the ghouls and eat rotten bbq tenders? I’m sure that’s much more your speed.

[Inflicting “Creep” right back atcha!]

“Whatever. Let’s just get this Over over with,” Elodie says, wiping at her face to get rid of those incriminating tears. “You still want me to paint your nails, or are you saving that for your first date with him?” That doesn’t even make a lot of sense, as barbs go, Elodie! You gotta make up for it by putting some venom in it.
    You'd think, right? But then again, you're talking to the girl that just straight up "borrowed" your sweaty shirt like it was no big deal. Creep is an accurate title, I think she'll own it, even if maybe in the right moment it might be something that really sticks and gives you leverage.

"No, you go ahead, it will give you good practice, Elly Belly." She gives her a little smile because we are still friends and aren't we having fun at our sleepover. "I'll take alternate orange and green, and then I'll do yours however you like, then we can get some sleep for tomorrow."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Elodie glares. Straight up glares! But the temptation of Glitterbomb Pink Supernova is strong. And everybody knows the best way to get your nails done is by a friend at a sleepover!

Well. A “friend.”

But as bad as Annalee is, she’s still... kind of okay to hang out with, compared to everyone else. So she doesn’t respect your space, and takes your stuff, and says real terrible stuff about the guy you like. What the heck ever. At least Annalee won’t try to eat her in the middle of the night or go on and on and on about regaining her evil throne once she escapes, yadda yadda. Give it a rest, Alex! Nobody cares!!

“Fine,” she says, finally. “But my place, my rules, got it?”
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

“Fine,” she says, finally. “But my place, my rules, got it?”
    Annalee settles in with her foot in place to let Elodie get started, wiggles her toes a little, and sits up with a nod to show Elodie that she is paying very close attention. Her makeup is a little smeared, she'll have to fix that in the morning, but right now she's giving Elodie her full and focused attention. "Got it. Tell me all about your rules, I wouldn't want to break one by accident."

[I think the fiction demands that she is trying to turn Elodie on here, despite how bad Annalee is at that. 3. I give you this gift, Thanqol.]
    Last edited by Anarion; 2019-07-19 at 10:50 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Annalee settles in with her foot in place to let Elodie get started, wiggles her toes a little, and sits up with a nod to show Elodie that she is paying very close attention. Her makeup is a little smeared, she'll have to fix that in the morning, but right now she's giving Elodie her full and focused attention. "Got it. Tell me all about your rules, I wouldn't want to break one by accident."

[I think the fiction demands that she is trying to turn Elodie on here, despite how bad Annalee is at that. 3. I give you this gift, Thanqol.]
    The door crashes inwards dramatically and a ninja soars into the room dramatically!

And then crashes hard directly into the ground and doesn't move.

Razor sharp high heels click into the room. Alex Malkarovic, Queen of Darkness, black and red and poison, strides in confidently and puts a foot on the dazed girl's neck. "Good evening, Annalee and... companion," she said, glancing down at the scene with the perfect smugness of someone whose toenails were naturally red. "I was just happening by and I noticed this lovely little mortal eavesdropping on you, the blackguard! And of course, I thought," and here she dropped a large, serrated knife on the floor directly in front of you, "you would like the opportunity to make an example of her yourself."

Behind Alex a small posse of watchers and hangers on are starting to poke their heads in through the door, or climb the tower to press their faces against the glass. And despite everything, this isn't Alex being mean - she's been trying to get on your good side for a while now, and in her mind this is how that is done.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

And despite everything, this isn't Alex being mean - she's been trying to get on your good side for a while now, and in her mind this is how that is done.
    Oh Alex. You poor, dumb queen of darkness. This is a miss at like three different levels.

First off, the offering is idiotic, ritual killing someone like that dagger implies in front of old GR's daughter. So rude! That's like dumping all your food onto somebody's floor and handing them a broom and dustpan to deal with it. Alex should know better, though it sounds like she doesn't even know who Elodie is.

Second, she's brought a whole crowd of monsters that are even climbing the tower and standing around in the hallway. While the Angel is on the warpath! Subtlety much? They were all going to have to get out of here if the Angel found this hideout, he definitely wouldn't let anyone sleep here.

Third, why would you offer a Witch a sacrifice offering? Like, okay I'll give Alex a little credit here. In a more peaceful context, it would be nice to knock out an eavesdropper, give Annalee time to collect some appropriate sympathetic tokens, and then kill her off for the Angel to revive somewhere else. But here, now? See points 1 and 2, but a murder here would just attract the Angel's attention because of somebody trying to leave school.

God, just, like, as if putting up with Elly Belly before getting a good night's sleep wasn't bad enough.

So, reaction shot. Annalee looks this whole thing over like wtf is this psycho doing? "Uh, Quailex, was it? You always barge in without knocking and throw your trash in front of other people? Like, seriously, personal boundaries. Plus, like, could you pay attention to your surroundings, oaf? It's Angel warpath night and you brought a crowd, just, like, so dumb." Annalee wiggles her toe at Elodie like don't stop for this oaf.

[Rolling to shut Alex down. 5+6+2=13. Giving her the condition Oaf]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

“Well, obviously, the first rule is ask before touching. It’s a good rule for whole bunches of things. Secondly, don’t sit on my flowers. Thirdly—“

The trapdoor flies open and someone comes hurtling into the room and Elodie’s first instinct is to hurl a pillow at the figure, shrieking about how there’s no sleeping here. Luckily, it’s just a ninja! And pillows are notoriously powerful against ninjas, so we have nothing to fear.

“Uh, yeah,” Elodie says, taking Annalee’s side for multiple reasons, not just because that’s the safest place to be. “Rude much? I don’t need a ghost around here wailing about how I won’t release them from the mortal coil and junk.”

Then she turns back to working on that middle toe like someone who’s totally not whipped.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    "I'M AWAKE!" Timothy shrieked, leaping with fright. He managed to only drop some of his worldly possessions. "Y-Yes. Of the...the Wilkenstonshire Cromptons. Sir." He added as he scrambled to collect his things.
    The shriek had been met with nothing more than a very slow blink, Samael's face didn't betray much of the extreme annoyance at the sudden loud and shrill sound.

Mental note, don't scare the human.

The words almost spoke themselves in his mind as the unpleasant instinctive cringe trickled down his body.

Oh. That was a...novel way to be looked at. (Okay, maybe it happened once before but he couldn't see well enough to check that time no wait don't think about that right now)

Timothy froze, halfway to stuffing a pillow into his bundle of things, suddenly feeling lightheaded for some reason. Perhaps it was the color simultaneously draining and flushing from his cheeks? Perhaps it was realization that he was caught in a trap most perilous and inescapable? Perhaps it was the thought that those noises he heard so long ago were muffled by two windows and at least fifteen feet and there could be plenty of nuance that he'd missed STOP IT YOU STUPID BRAIN CAN YOU PLEASE THINK OF SOMETHING USEFUL

"Not any more new than the other freshman. Sir."

Antagonizing your soon-to-be killer: Brilliant start.

He gulped audibly, and continued. "I'm terribly sorry about all this, I hadn't the slightest idea you were here. With all the commotion, I was...looking for a quiet corner to study in. I found my way here, you surprised me, I dropped my things, you started talking, I started talking, I'm still talking, I haven't quite stopped yet, so I will get on that immediately." He clamped his mouth shut, and assumed his best, most deferential parade rest. Yes, nothing at all to worry about from this meek student of yours. Totally harmless. You can let him go at any time, with zero consequences or regret. "I don't suppose you'd have a closet I could...camp out in?"
    Freshman.

Hells below. Trust a human to label themselves with the most appetising word possible. It was as if they were standing in line begging to be taken.

"No." Samael tried not to smile. "No closet. I hear staying in them are bad for you mental wellbeing. Besides, you might fall asleep. I can't possibly allow a Fresh Man to do that."

He slowly walked up to Timothy and reached out a hand to straighten a strand of his hair. It was pointless considering the mess the boy was in, but he was on the hunt and the prey stood right there so ready, warm, dishevelled and... warm.

"I understand the Headmaster's current mood is intimidating to you. But this space is mine. You really can't be here, Crompton of the Wilkenstonshire Cromptons. You understand that, don't you?"

"Though... saying that... I could perhaps be convinced to share... if you were to offer me something in return..." his eyes traced down Timothy's face to his neck and collarbone.

[Pulling Strings on Timothy, spending 1 String to Tempt him to give me what I want]
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

"No." Samael tried not to smile. "No closet. I hear staying in them are bad for you mental wellbeing."
    Since when did monsters know that turn of phrase?

And why is
    this what my mind chooses to think about right now?! Useless thing...

He slowly walked up to Timothy and reached out a hand to straighten a strand of his hair. It was pointless considering the mess the boy was in, but he was on the hunt and the prey stood right there so ready, warm, dishevelled and... warm.

"I understand the Headmaster's current mood is intimidating to you. But this space is mine. You really can't be here, Crompton of the Wilkenstonshire Cromptons. You understand that, don't you?"

"Though... saying that... I could perhaps be convinced to share... if you were to offer me something in return..." his eyes traced down Timothy's face to his neck and collarbone.

[Pulling Strings on Timothy, spending 1 String to Tempt him to give me what I want]
    Timothy stood frozen in meek, unassuming, stiff posture, for if he disengaged his knees for the slightest second they would amost certainly tremble themselves to pieces. "But, this is school grounds. It's all school grounds. None of us own much further than our boots and trousers." A distant roar - accompanied by a choir of trumpets - announced another set of unruly miscreants had been told just that.

Oh, what was even the use? Even if Samael saw reason, what was he to say? 'Yes yes, do stay over there on that side of the room Mr. Vampire, while I drift off to sleep in my corner, completely defenseless and vulnerable.' Staying here meant either a sleepless night or...or a terrible fate, and leaving? He did not know what leaving meant. He knew some of what leaving might mean, and surely he hadn't seen the worst of it yet. It was the vampire he knew (would slay him (probably)) versus the devil(s) he didn't.

He couldn't stop the low, frightened moan from escaping his throat. All he'd wanted was a simple night's rest...

"But, yes, I do understand the inconvience-" oh no he was touching his hair he was touching him bad bad bad bad BAD "-and would gladly offer you something in recompense-" He hid his poor neck behind his bundle as best as he could. "-but what could I possibly give up? Disregarding...a-anything of painful and ultimately fatal consequence? I don't suppose you fancy jigsaw puzzles...?" Even just saying the words, he had to hug his belongings tight. When would he ever find another puzzle in this horrid place? But these were desperate times, and his neck was on the line.

And we're to puns now. Crisps and crackers, I'm doomed.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2019-07-23 at 09:13 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

God, just, like, as if putting up with Elly Belly before getting a good night's sleep wasn't bad enough.

So, reaction shot. Annalee looks this whole thing over like wtf is this psycho doing? "Uh, Quailex, was it? You always barge in without knocking and throw your trash in front of other people? Like, seriously, personal boundaries. Plus, like, could you pay attention to your surroundings, oaf? It's Angel warpath night and you brought a crowd, just, like, so dumb." Annalee wiggles her toe at Elodie like don't stop for this oaf.

[Rolling to shut Alex down. 5+6+2=13. Giving her the condition Oaf]
    There was a ripple of malicious giggles from the crowd. All of a sudden they're not her people any more, and you can see how much the sudden sense of isolation spooks her. You can see the fight or flight reflexes starting to kick in. Being laughed at by people is terrifying enough but being laughed at by monsters is potentially terminal. In that moment she can back down, throw down or double down.

She doubles down - joins in the laughter with her own fake giggle. "Oh, 'Lee, you're so funny!" smile cementing into place. "Anyway, what do you want to do with the spy? Hex her? Curse her? Trap her in an eternal nightmare?" She's transparently hoping the redirection works and you focus your ire where she was originally hoping to send it - and just as transparently hoping you'll teach her some magic. She's been dropping hints along those lines for a while now.

“Well, obviously, the first rule is ask before touching. It’s a good rule for whole bunches of things. Secondly, don’t sit on my flowers. Thirdly—“

The trapdoor flies open and someone comes hurtling into the room and Elodie’s first instinct is to hurl a pillow at the figure, shrieking about how there’s no sleeping here. Luckily, it’s just a ninja! And pillows are notoriously powerful against ninjas, so we have nothing to fear.

“Uh, yeah,” Elodie says, taking Annalee’s side for multiple reasons, not just because that’s the safest place to be. “Rude much? I don’t need a ghost around here wailing about how I won’t release them from the mortal coil and junk.”

Then she turns back to working on that middle toe like someone who’s totally not whipped.
    "Help... please..." the hunter whispers through the stiletto crushing down on her neck. She reaches out to you with a shaking hand, like you're the only good thing left in a terrible universe.

You've seen that look a lot. Not so often while they've still got a beating heart, though.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

There was a ripple of malicious giggles from the crowd. All of a sudden they're not her people any more, and you can see how much the sudden sense of isolation spooks her. You can see the fight or flight reflexes starting to kick in. Being laughed at by people is terrifying enough but being laughed at by monsters is potentially terminal. In that moment she can back down, throw down or double down.

She doubles down - joins in the laughter with her own fake giggle. "Oh, 'Lee, you're so funny!" smile cementing into place. "Anyway, what do you want to do with the spy? Hex her? Curse her? Trap her in an eternal nightmare?" She's transparently hoping the redirection works and you focus your ire where she was originally hoping to send it - and just as transparently hoping you'll teach her some magic. She's been dropping hints along those lines for a while now.

"Help... please..." the hunter whispers through the stiletto crushing down on her neck. She reaches out to you with a shaking hand, like you're the only good thing left in a terrible universe.

You've seen that look a lot. Not so often while they've still got a beating heart, though.
    Annalee waves dismissively at the assembled onlookers with a pointed look at Alex. "All of them out, and shut the door. You want to stay oaf, make sure the Angel doesn't interrupt us, dah?" It's a dangled hope. Alex might not even have that much power over the crowd, but she's also not going to admit that in front of all of them, now is she? So let's see what she can do. Consider it a try-out for not being kicked out at night.

Annalee looks over at Elodie, who is starting to paint one of her nails nuclear green. "So, Elly belly, this is your room, your rules you were saying. This is yours now, then. Would you like me to do magic on your ninja?"
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

How is anybody supposed to properly focus on toenail painting around here? Especially with a ninja looking at you like she’s a lost and helpless puppy. (She’s seen a lot of those, tagging along with dad on the job. Usually in sacks.) That, and big decisions tossed onto your shoulders! Wow, it’s a lot!

“Weeeeell...” Elodie says. On the one hand, if she’s too nice, she won’t have any cred with Annalee. And Alex, but Alex is kind of an oaf, isn’t she? Hardly worth worrying about. On the other hand, helpless puppy ninja.

“...you’ve got to give somebody a chance,” she concludes. “Like chess, or poker, or laser tag. If she wins, she gets to go free. If she loses, you get to do all the magic you want on her. Either way, she also has to explain why she was snooping.” Elodie nods, satisfied with how ably she’s managed to thread the needle.

She scoots over and offers her hand to the ninja with a dorky smile, one shoulder loose from her oversized shirt, her hair a mess. “That sound fair to you, Miss Ninja?” And though she’s just a little breathy because she’s been breathing quickly with the high stress of a ninja being thrown into the room, well, someone flailing for a life preserver in the middle of shark-infested waters might see that as more.

[That’s a lucky 13 on turning our Ninja — Carmen? — on.]
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    He couldn't stop the low, frightened moan from escaping his throat. All he'd wanted was a simple night's rest...

"But, yes, I do understand the inconvience-" oh no he was touching his hair he was touching him bad bad bad bad BAD "-and would gladly offer you something in recompense-" He hid his poor neck behind his bundle as best as he could. "-but what could I possibly give up? Disregarding...a-anything of painful and ultimately fatal consequence? I don't suppose you fancy jigsaw puzzles...?" Even just saying the words, he had to hug his belongings tight. When would he ever find another puzzle in this horrid place? But these were desperate times, and his neck was on the line.
    Samael didn’t even dignify the jigsaw puzzle suggestion with an answer. He honestly just offered him a children’s toy? Hell, this one would taste sweet.

“It’s hardly ever fatal,” Samael said, voice like velvet, eyes still on Tim’s neck. His fingers went from Timothy’s hair to gently trace his jawline.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Samael didn’t even dignify the jigsaw puzzle suggestion with an answer. He honestly just offered him a children’s toy? Hell, this one would taste sweet.

“It’s hardly ever fatal,” Samael said, voice like velvet, eyes still on Tim’s neck. His fingers went from Timothy’s hair to gently trace his jawline.
    How wonderful. I'll be certain to take the bloodthirsty predator's safety assessment into consideration.

Timothy shuddered at Samael's touch. This was all wrong. He shouldn’t even be here, much less here! He ought to have ran away; far, far away. This couldn't be the safest place available. Surely there were options. Why was he still speaking to him? He was a vampire. A monster. Dangerous! Get away from him, you fool! You know this beast! You know his nature. Violent and cruel and insatiable and not caring a whit for you once he’d eaten his fill. There shouldn't be a lick of softness in his soul. In his dread, iron clutches, mortals ought to feel fear! Terror! Despair!

And no comfort.

“You failed to mention the pain.” Could Samael feel his pulse beneath his fingers? Flying, tearing, straining against his pale skin. “...does it hurt?” he asked quietly.

28. - Top - End - #28

Annalee waves dismissively at the assembled onlookers with a pointed look at Alex. "All of them out, and shut the door. You want to stay oaf, make sure the Angel doesn't interrupt us, dah?" It's a dangled hope. Alex might not even have that much power over the crowd, but she's also not going to admit that in front of all of them, now is she? So let's see what she can do. Consider it a try-out for not being kicked out at night.

Annalee looks over at Elodie, who is starting to paint one of her nails nuclear green. "So, Elly belly, this is your room, your rules you were saying. This is yours now, then. Would you like me to do magic on your ninja?"
    "Of course, sweetgums," said Alex with toxic sugariness. "Anything you say."

Whatever else the Queen of Darkness has going on, she's surprisingly adept at clearing out large groups of monsters. Something about a background in royalty, or maybe it's just the sword made out of lava. Hard to say.

How is anybody supposed to properly focus on toenail painting around here? Especially with a ninja looking at you like she’s a lost and helpless puppy. (She’s seen a lot of those, tagging along with dad on the job. Usually in sacks.) That, and big decisions tossed onto your shoulders! Wow, it’s a lot!

“Weeeeell...” Elodie says. On the one hand, if she’s too nice, she won’t have any cred with Annalee. And Alex, but Alex is kind of an oaf, isn’t she? Hardly worth worrying about. On the other hand, helpless puppy ninja.

“...you’ve got to give somebody a chance,” she concludes. “Like chess, or poker, or laser tag. If she wins, she gets to go free. If she loses, you get to do all the magic you want on her. Either way, she also has to explain why she was snooping.” Elodie nods, satisfied with how ably she’s managed to thread the needle.

She scoots over and offers her hand to the ninja with a dorky smile, one shoulder loose from her oversized shirt, her hair a mess. “That sound fair to you, Miss Ninja?” And though she’s just a little breathy because she’s been breathing quickly with the high stress of a ninja being thrown into the room, well, someone flailing for a life preserver in the middle of shark-infested waters might see that as more.

[That’s a lucky 13 on turning our Ninja — Carmen? — on.]
    Okay! You were trained for this, Carmen! In the event of being challenged to a game by dangerous supernatural forces then you must apply the following principles:
    - Nothing to do with knowledge, you don't know what they know.
    - Nothing to do with raw physical power, you don't know what they're capable of.

Ideally something entirely foreign to a monstrous creature, something involving skill, co-ordination, precision and gentleness. Something li -

"Beach volleyball," she blurts. "I challenge you to a game of beach volleyball!"

Nailed... it?

[Take a string on her]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

[X]: 2ND PLACE

“Oh, that’s easy,” Elodie says with a laugh, bouncing up to her feet. “We can get the swimsuits once we get there, everybody.”

She bounds over to her wardrobe, and raps three times on the door with her fingers. When she swings it open, on the other side is the crash of waves and the cries of seagulls on the shore, and a wave of wet heat that rolls into the room.

“Hup, hup, up,” she says, with a flourish. Sure, it’s against the rules, but you can’t have a game of beach volleyball without a beach, and when you think about it, what’s worse: breaking your word, which is very naughty and bad, or briefly bending the rules about where you’re allowed to go?

The door’ll stay open, so, like, it’s not like they’re actually going anywhere, it’s just that the beach is coming to her room, if you think about it, really!

[That’s a 12 on Through the Looking Glass, opening the way to the Island of Circe.]
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2019-07-28 at 07:57 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

CONDITION: Creep

Now see, this was shaking out much better than expected. Alex had a lava sword and everything, and maybe the Angel wouldn’t bother them. And now Elly was being useful too. She might even be able to learn something from this.

“Oh excellent, excellent. I won’t be playing of course, but I would love to watch and spend the night not here. Quailex, excellent lava-sword work, come join us and we’ll learn about some proper magic.”

I look over my newly lime toenails with some pleasure. Elodie is proving herself actually valuable, and I am thinking regrettably, that I will really be obligated to return the favor later.

[I’m accepting Elodie leading me into a supernatural situation. She gets a string, I get an XP.]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes