New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

Default demogorgon is a wuss (4e)

(warning: rant ahead) so i was checking out demogorgon's stat block, when i noticed something: the damage. his all-powerful, ultimate attack "dual aspects of demogorgon" does a max of FIFTY damage. I'm not very familiar with high level characters (actually... i don't know anything at all about characters above level 3), but i think you would have, like, 50 times that much hp. also, he's wussier than orcus (who has touch of death to obliterate him in one hit). anyone else feel this way?

please evolve my evil demon.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: demogorgon is a wuss (4e)

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalbattle View Post
    (warning: rant ahead) so i was checking out demogorgon's stat block, when i noticed something: the damage. his all-powerful, ultimate attack "dual aspects of demogorgon" does a max of FIFTY damage. I'm not very familiar with high level characters (actually... i don't know anything at all about characters above level 3), but i think you would have, like, 50 times that much hp. also, he's wussier than orcus (who has touch of death to obliterate him in one hit). anyone else feel this way?
    Dude, you don't get a Con mod to hps in 4th edition. That means you aren't likely to get more than 170 at level 20.
    Fighters get +6/level after 1st so with 24 Con (likely much higher) = around 157 at level 20.

So no, 50 x that amount.
    But yes, the damage dealt is only 1/3rd of a defenders health at level 20.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Actually he's a bit superior to Orcus. Orcus was built using a now-outmoded monster building formula where Solos are really just sacks of HP. While Demogorgon may seem weaker, IIRC he has better defenses (over a year later I still catch myself writing 'saves') and is less hampered by the action economy deficit that plagues most solos (especially MM1 solos) Orcus' death touch is sort of his only threatening ability and in a few Orcus killing builds directly leads to his demise.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Compared to Tiamat (5 moves/round) and Vecna (aura of death-making)? Yes, everyone is a wuss except for Bahamut.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalbattle View Post
    Gone are the days (1-3E) when Demogorgon could drive you insane, dominate you, or kill you outright with nothing more than a Paddingtonian hard stare.

D&D Padded Sumo Edition strikes again.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Eh. If you think that a level appropriate encounter with Demogorgon is too easy, you are simply sending too high level PC's at him. *shrug*

Simply put, the whole point of being the right level to face the guy is that it means you stand a fair chance. If that doesn't fit your mental image of a fight with demogorgon, throw them at the big monkey earlier.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

in terms of crazy baboons Rafiki is better than Demogorgon.

and does Bahamut have stats now? or are you just saying he's not a wuss because he's currently your avatar?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Eh. If you think that a level appropriate encounter with Demogorgon is too easy, you are simply sending too high level PC's at him. *shrug*

Simply put, the whole point of being the right level to face the guy is that it means you stand a fair chance. If that doesn't fit your mental image of a fight with demogorgon, throw them at the big monkey earlier.
    Exactly. A level 30 party isn't the kind to be fazed by Demogorgon: they're the kind of people who are nearly gods themselves and get written down in the annals of history to be disbelieved by people even a hundred years later because their deeds are too outrageous. They're Beowulf, Kamina, and Gandalf, not Scooby Doo and the gang.

If you want your party to be left a gibbering mess after seeing Demogorgon, send him after the party before they hit Epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    and does Bahamut have stats now? or are you just saying he's not a wuss because he's currently your avatar?
    He appears in the Draconomicon 2. One of the previews was of his humanoid form (the Old Man with the Canaries), which is a level 36 Solo with Leader capabilities. Tiamat and Vecna are level 35 Solos.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2009-11-11 at 11:01 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

..........there's a Draconinomicon 2?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

one's going out.

please evolve my evil demon.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Demogorgon is a controller. Did you guys miss his powers to daze, dominate and knock you unconscious? Or the ability to daze anyone who starts their turn within 10 squares of him.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    But..but.. he's the prince of demons! Are there rules to advance him, like the ones in FCI (and II)?
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

@^
    There are rules in the DMG to make your own monsters so you could make your own version of him.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2009-11-11 at 11:12 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    But..but.. he's the prince of demons! Are there rules to advance him, like the ones in FCI (and II)?
    The DMG has rules for advancing monsters. It basically involves giving them more Hp, better defenses, and higher attack values. You can safely increase monsters about 5 levels before they lose their *oomph*

Besides, if you think Demogorgon is too easy then pair him with some minions or maybe an elite. Just because they're called "solo" creatures doesn't mean they have to be fought alone.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly? From what I've seen, he looks pretty darn impressive. But then, I have not seen anything above level 10, so I can't really say what he looks like in practice.

All I'll say is that the picture of him in MM2 almost had me laughting with hysteria. This has been kinda the case in 3.5, but 4E has pushed it a tad further. I mean, we're talking about fraggin prince of demons and here we have a two headed monkey? Seriously? You expect me to take a two headed monkey seriously? Yeah... try again.

16. - Top - End - #16

RedWizardGuy

pg 174 dmg. Boosting a monster’s level is easy. Just increase its
    attack rolls, defenses, and AC by 1 for every level you
    add. For every two levels, increase the damage it deals
    with its attacks by 1. The monster also gains extra hit
    points at each level, based on its role (see the “Monster
    Statistics by Role” table on page 184).
    Decreasing a monster’s level works like increasing
    it, but in reverse. For each level down, reduce the
    creature’s attack rolls, defenses, and AC by 1 and drop
    its hit points based on its role. For every two levels, also
    reduce its damage by 1.
    This process works best for adjusting a monster’s
    level up to five higher or lower. Beyond that, the monster
    changes so much that you’d do better to start with
    another creature of the desired role and level range.

And, don't forget to give him magical items.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

There are standard rules for advancing ANY monster. It's simple. But if you have already become as powerful as the prince of demons, then the prince of demons isn't going to melt your brain merely by looking at you. He got there too late.

Now, if he rocks up at your 'we've hit level 26!' office party, there's going to be trouble.

So, anyway, just looked the fellow up on the compendium. Really, he's NOT some huge wuss that I can see. Level 34 and the amount of horrible conditions he can chuck out, oh god.

I mean, his recharging 'dual aspects of demogorgon' power deals loads of damage, sure....and knocks unconcious (save ends) anyone who it hits within 10 squares. And only targets enemies, so his minions and cultists can be happily in place already to begin the coup-de-graceing.

Add in that as a minor action on each of his 2 turns per round his individual heads are doing cool stuff too. Aemul dazes (and damages), but if they are already dazed, he dominates. Hethradiah does damage, but also makes a pc use an at-will of demogorgon's choice against a target of demogorgon's choice.

Note, both gaze attacks above are close blast 5 attacks, not even just single target.
    Oh, and his 'little' attacks? Tentacle blast is a close blast 5 that dishes out ongoing damage....and if the target is already taking ongoing damage, it increases it by 5. It basically stacks with itself.

Remember he has 2 turns just to himself.

And if you're worried about him being kited, well, a ranged 50 attack that teleports the target to within his favourite close-blast range seems like it works pretty nicely.

OH, one last thing; The minor action gaze attacks? Are named for each head, but there's nothing stopping him using both every round instead of having a little walk.

And I nearly missed the bit where any enemy starting it's turn within 10 squares is targeted with a free daze attack. :)

Seems pretty Imposing to me, frankly.
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2009-11-11 at 11:23 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    Honestly? From what I've seen, he looks pretty darn impressive. But then, I have not seen anything above level 10, so I can't really say what he looks like in practice.

All I'll say is that the picture of him in MM2 almost had me laughting with hysteria. This has been kinda the case in 3.5, but 4E has pushed it a tad further. I mean, we're talking about fraggin prince of demons and here we have a two headed monkey? Seriously? You expect me to take a two headed monkey seriously? Yeah... try again.
    I guess one can't distract you with "Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!"
    Last edited by jmbrown; 2009-11-11 at 11:23 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    ..........there's a Draconinomicon 2?
    Next Tuesday there will be. Until then, it's a bunch of books in a "Do not stock until November 17" box.
    And the characters that have a chance to beat him are the kind that sit at gods' right hands, and assault the darkest pits of the Abyss for a workout. The Fighter isn't Joe Schmoe and his +1 Sword, he's closer to Herakles or a shounen hero in the later parts of a manga series.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

ThankS for the replies. FCI had suggestion, too, to increase the spell-likes and add vicious attack to the princes.

Are there edition equivalent suggestions?
    Spoiler
    Show

The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

ThankS for the replies. FCI had suggestion, too, to increase the spell-likes and add vicious attack to the princes.

Are there edition equivalent suggestions?
    It's an idea to swap in some class powers for Demogorgon to use on a limited basis, most likely from the Chaos Sorcerer or Warlock power sets. (As if you applied a template, but only gave him the powers instead of the HP and defense boosts, etc.) I've never tried this out in practice, but considering how many powers high-level solos have anyway, I'd say it's probably not too much so long as you don't give him a 7d10+modifiers burst attack as an at-will...

Draconomicon 1 says that a DM can treat all Dragons as if they had the Ritual Caster feat, so it's not much of a stretch to apply that to Demon Princes or Archdevils... which will allow them to prepare their lairs with devastating tricks before the adventurers get there...
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2009-11-11 at 11:36 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    It's an idea to swap in some class powers for Demogorgon to use on a limited basis, most likely from the Chaos Sorcerer or Warlock power sets.
    Something like the (Sp) swapping table in FCII. I see.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    I guess one can't distract you with "Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!"
    nope. because see this is a two headed monkey.

you want awesome in your campaign? put in Rafiki.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2009-11-11 at 11:44 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

So if Demogorgon's a Controller and Bahamut's a Leader....who's the Defender and the Striker?

Adventuring party of the GODS!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    So if Demogorgon's a Controller and Bahamut's a Leader....who's the Defender and the Striker?

Adventuring party of the GODS!
    Vecna's a Controller, but hates anyone who isn't undead. I'm pretty sure Bahamut's a Soldier (Leader), and Tiamat is a flat-out Brute with 5 Standard and Minor actions per round and a ridiculously massive Close Burst 30 recharging attack power that slows and causes a large amount of nearly irresistible ongoing damage. And that's not including her Close Blast 5 at-will that blinds (save ends) or her at-will Domination gaze... (in short, she's a ridiculously massively overpowered monster that will kill you five ways in a single turn. Fortunately, you won't see your best friend gut you like a pig.)
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2009-11-11 at 03:00 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

OrcBarbarianGuy

Vecna's a Controller, but hates anyone who isn't undead. I'm pretty sure Bahamut's a Soldier (Leader), and Tiamat is a flat-out Brute with 5 Standard and Minor actions per round and a ridiculously massive Close Burst 30 recharging attack power that slows and causes a large amount of nearly irresistible ongoing damage. And that's not including her Close Blast 5 at-will that blinds (save ends) or her at-will Domination gaze... (in short, she's a ridiculously massively overpowered monster that will kill you five ways in a single turn. Fortunately, you won't see your best friend gut you like a pig.)
    On the other hand, her fixed initiative means that a sufficiently-determined munchkin can (and has!) build a character with literally no chance of failing to kill her before she takes a single move except rolling a natural 1.

One thing to keep in mind, with regard to the topic, is that Demogorgon in previous editions was only killable by the most powerful epic characters. That's still true in Fourth...but being the most powerful epic character is built into the core rules instead of being bundled into a second-rate, poorly-balanced splatbook. The expectations have changed, which is why Demogorgon looks more approachable than he used to.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

If you want your party to be left a gibbering mess after seeing Demogorgon, send him after the party before they hit Epic.
    Then they'll be a gibbering mess (save ends)
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Then they'll be a gibbering mess (save ends)
    Gibbering Mess:
    You take a -15 penalty to saving throws.
    You are dominated by the creature that inflicted the condition.
    You cannot speak, except in random syllables that mean nothing.

Save to end that.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Demogorgon has been on a long painful road to wusshood ever since his heydey in 1e. After that peak of power, he sort of declined as the editions went by.
    "No extra charge!"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Vecna's a Controller, but hates anyone who isn't undead. I'm pretty sure Bahamut's a Soldier (Leader), and Tiamat is a flat-out Brute...
    Yeah, as they are actually more 'band of monster's you're actually looking for an artillery and a lurker, if you want all bases covered, rather than striker etc. :)

Actually, with two controlling types (Vecna and Demogorgon), Bahamut running soldierly defence (with some leading on the side) and Tiamat and her many turns running the brutish damage, you've got a pretty intimidating super-epic team already. :)

Not to mention bahamut may or may not come with half a dozen level 30 or so gold dragons free, as part of his stat-block.