New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default How can someone be fit without going to the gym? Also, I hate sports.

I hate sports, it's abominable to me, I hate team based competitions in all forms, in special when its live action and you have to actually talk directly to the person, and I just hate it.

One of the reasons I hate Albert Camus philosophy, is how he keeps acting as if sports were awesome.

In world where this guy gets so much more money than these guys, truly show us how decadent our society really is.

Anyway, my plan for this year was expanding my views and boards, by making friends with different people and interacting more.

Among my new group of friends there are quite a few sports fans, they love to talk about and they love to actually do it. I'm trying to leave my prejudice behind and try to see what they love so much about it.

Many go to the gym, something I will never understand, the fact that people pay to go to machines to suffer pain in other to fit what our society say is beautiful strikes as something out of a dystopian novel or movie.

Spoiler: What comes to my mind when I see a gym:
    Show

Among my new friends there is a guy, he is very fit, and during our conversations he claims he don't go to the gym and shares my views of how boring and horrible it is.

That strikes me as odd since he is very muscular, like super muscular, with six packs and biceps and large chests and all that stuff. I asked what he did to be so in shape and he says jogging and a thing he calls "calisteniks" or something.

Is that possible? Can someone have such a super hero build without going to such horrible places?

What's his secret? Genetics? Dedication? Steroids? Does he goes to the gym and pretend he doesn't so he will look cool? (and make his weirdo friend ask random people in the internet about it).

I must confess that I don't envy him, since despite some times wanting to have a body like that I like to think I'm above such petty aesthetic thing.

My main discourse is how the world we live in cares more about what we look than what we are, if I go on working on having a body like that I would be betraying my own philosophy so I feel like I should not do it.

Beauty is a transient thing not worth that amount of time and dedication.

I'm just curios. I don’t plan to go against my principles and hatred toward everything sport related.
    Last edited by The Eye; 2017-07-26 at 06:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Excellent Chaotic Evil "roleplaying" The Eye. "The only people responsible for the welfare of or harm dealt to others are people who aren't me."
    "A clear horizon — nothing to worry about on your plate, only things that are creative and not destructive… I can’t bear quarreling, I can’t bear feelings between people — I think hatred is wasted energy, and it’s all non-productive." - Alfred Hitchcock

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: How can soemone be fit without going to the gym? Also, I hate sports.

Quote Originally Posted by The Eye View Post
    That strikes me as odd since he is very muscular, like super muscular, with six packs and biceps and large chests and all that stuff. I asked what he did to be so in shape and he says jogging and a thing he calls "calisteniks" or something.

Is that possible? Can someone have such a super hero build without going to such horrible places?
    Calisthenics, and yes, calisthenic/body weight exercises like push ups, pull ups, dips, crunches, etc, are a great way to build strength and stay in shape.

I don't know why you seem so convinced that going to the gym is a horrific, vain quest with no end goal or purpose except for beauty. You're aware there are health benefits to staying in shape, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: How can soemone be fit without going to the gym? Also, I hate sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    I don't know why you seem so convinced that going to the gym is a horrific, vain quest with no end goal or purpose except for beauty. You're aware there are health benefits to staying in shape, right?
    I know that in theory. But from what I see and hear I have my doubts that people (Besides the obese) are doing that for any other reason than vanity, but then again I’m a very judgmental person.
    Excellent Chaotic Evil "roleplaying" The Eye. "The only people responsible for the welfare of or harm dealt to others are people who aren't me."
    "A clear horizon — nothing to worry about on your plate, only things that are creative and not destructive… I can’t bear quarreling, I can’t bear feelings between people — I think hatred is wasted energy, and it’s all non-productive." - Alfred Hitchcock

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I know that in theory. But from what I see and hear I have my doubts that people (Besides the obese) are doing that for any other reason than vanity, but then again I’m a very judgmental person.
    Well, yes. You are. Some people are doing it for vanity, but others want to be in shape or compete. If it isn't harming anyone...Does it matter if they want to be in shape? Their money, their time, their life. I'm not going to say that you can't have clothes you like or do your hair a certain way or keep your body hair a certain way because VAAAAAAANITY. Not my business in the end.

As for finding the Gym boring, bring your phone. I use videos and music to get through boring exercise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Well, yes. You are. Some people are doing it for vanity, but others want to be in shape or compete. If it isn't harming anyone...Does it matter if they want to be in shape? Their money, their time, their life.
    If I see someone wasting their time to fulfill a social construct of beauty, I will comment about.

If you saw someone trying to put the ocean inside a water bottle one drop at a time, wouldn't you point out how inane that is? Same thing.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: How can someone be fit without going to the gym? Also, I hate sports.

I don't work out at a gym exactly but I run an average of 2.5 miles every day. Podcasts help a lot with making it entertaining while I get my exercise in.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How can someone be fit without going to the gym? Also, I hate sports.

There's plenty of stuff you can do without going to the gym. In fact, I'd say most gym memberships are entirely worthless with the exception of easy access to varying sizes of weights and weight machines, but that can be worked around. The main exception is memberships that include access to a (well trained and knowledgeable) personal trainer or similar, but those are usually pretty expensive.

I'm not fit by any means (though not too unfit either), but that's more a lack of dedication and a bit of depression induced demotivation than anything. It takes a lot of work but you can get a fit, healthy (potentially even healthier than a gym rat physique since most weight training is completely pointless or even somewhat detrimental past a point) body doing entirely equipment-less exercises. Jogging/running, pushups, sit ups, crunches, pull ups (you can use a sturdy doorframe for this), swimming laps, yoga/stretches, etc., etc. Along with a reasonably healthy diet, of course.

You just have to want to do it, plan it out, and stick with it. It's work, sure, it's going to eat into your free time a fair bit, and the results are pretty slow (climbing out of this hole I've dug myself into has been an ordeal), but it's very doable.

Quite frankly I think your doubts are just veiled envy. Don't get me wrong, there certainly ARE people who are just in it for vanity, or who are really judgmental towards people who don't eat, sleep, and breathe the gym rat lifestyle, but those are the vast minority. Lumping everybody who works out into this category of "self-obsessed jerks who are being held down by the systematic oppression of our bogus beauty standards, man" is just a way to make yourself feel better for not pursuing a healthier lifestyle.

It's okay to be unhealthy. Being disparaging of those that are, however, is not.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2017-07-26 at 06:26 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

If I see someone wasting their time to fulfill a social construct of beauty, I will comment about.

If you saw someone trying to put the ocean inside a water bottle one drop at a time, wouldn't you point out how inane that is? Same thing.
    False equivalency hooo!!

A person's business is none of yours unless it's hurting you or someone else. You certainly can comment on it but when most people go "you're being absurd, keep your nose out" they're well within their right (and justified...unlike you) in doing so.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    A person's business is none of yours unless it's hurting you or someone else.
    Why?

You certainly can comment on it but when most people go "you're being absurd, keep your nose out" they're well within their right (and justified...unlike you) in doing so.
    I never said they weren't.

10. - Top - End - #10

Why?
    There's no why to it, man, this is a basic aspect of adulthood: knowing when to mind your own business. You've got no right to shove your opinions on working out down the throats of others (especially when they come laden with suggestions that people who maintain workout regiments are vain or stupid), and if you decide to do it anyway, you've got no right to be surprised or unhappy if people find you obnoxious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Why?
    Basic human etiquette.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    There's no why to it, man, this is a basic aspect of adulthood: knowing when to mind your own business. You've got no right to shove your opinions on working out down the throats of others (especially when they come laden with suggestions that people who maintain workout regiments are vain or stupid), and if you decide to do it anyway, you've got no right to be surprised or unhappy if people find you obnoxious.
    Well, what's the difference between saying your opinion and "Shove your opinions on working out down the throats of others" besides I never said they were stupid.

Most of the best experiences I had interacting with other humans was when I said something I believed or didn't understood, and then the other person said their views and we had an exchange of experiences. It's fun. Doesn’t that mean I was being a huge jerk the whole time?
    Last edited by The Eye; 2017-07-26 at 06:47 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Well, what's the difference between saying your opinion and "Shove your opinions on working out down the throats of others" besides I never said they were stupid.
    You accused people who work out as being only interested in their looks, that they're only doing it for vanity. You certainly didn't call them stupid. You went way worse.

Most of the best experiences I had interacting with other humans was when I said something I believed or didn't understood, and then the other person said their views and we had an exchange of experiences. It's fun. Doesn’t that mean I was being a huge jerk the whole time?
    Considering you demonstrate your lack of basic human understanding I don't actually believe you've had any such encounters.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

You accused people who work out as being only interested in their looks, that they're only doing it for vanity. You certainly didn't call them stupid. You went way worse.
    It’s called being vain, although I think narcissistic can also be used. And it’s not THAT bad at least in our society.

We live in a very vain and narcissistic, social media are an example of that, you may even say it’s a virtue nowadays.

Just because I’m pointing that out doesn’t mean I’m offending you. If you are getting offended it's your fault. i'm responsible for what i say not how you feel or how you read it.
    Last edited by The Eye; 2017-07-26 at 07:06 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

No one's offended by what you say, we're just pointing out (as every one of your threads seems to devolve into) why you're operating on a fairly absurd frame of reference. I don't honestly care what you believe because, as stated, as long as you're not hurting anyone you're free to believe and say whatever it is you want to. You asked why it was impolite to stick your nose in people's business and I answered the question. If that's a problem for you, then maybe you should review your own actions.

Self reflection does a body good.
    Last edited by Razade; 2017-07-26 at 07:25 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

As the guy in the OP said, calisthenics are great.

Re - Are gym goers vain narcissists? No.
    I don't go to a gym because it's expensive to me and I don't really like the vibe or using weight machines. But when I've laxed in things like walking or some exercises then I haven't been feeling as great as usual. I'd feel less able to move as well and even feel a bit less awake (idk maybe I'm weird). It's also nice to not get tired after walking for a while or have troubles with heavy stuff I should be able to pick up.

I think a lot of people feel better with exercise and if the gym's where they do it, great
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2017-07-26 at 07:40 PM.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's not like I randomly pop up in front of someone scream "You are wrong and stupid, I’m judging you so hard right now!" then I throw a smoke bomb and jump down the window saying "The Eye away!!!" I'm a reserved person, I rarely talk, I just use the internet to share my inner most toughs.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    There's plenty of stuff you can do without going to the gym. In fact, I'd say most gym memberships are entirely worthless with the exception of easy access to varying sizes of weights and weight machines, but that can be worked around. The main exception is memberships that include access to a (well trained and knowledgeable) personal trainer or similar, but those are usually pretty expensive.

I'm not fit by any means (though not too unfit either), but that's more a lack of dedication and a bit of depression induced demotivation than anything. It takes a lot of work but you can get a fit, healthy (potentially even healthier than a gym rat physique since most weight training is completely pointless or even somewhat detrimental past a point) body doing entirely equipment-less exercises. Jogging/running, pushups, sit ups, crunches, pull ups (you can use a sturdy doorframe for this), swimming laps, yoga/stretches, etc., etc. Along with a reasonably healthy diet, of course.

You just have to want to do it, plan it out, and stick with it. It's work, sure, it's going to eat into your free time a fair bit, and the results are pretty slow (climbing out of this hole I've dug myself into has been an ordeal), but it's very doable.

Quite frankly I think your doubts are just veiled envy. Don't get me wrong, there certainly ARE people who are just in it for vanity, or who are really judgmental towards people who don't eat, sleep, and breathe the gym rat lifestyle, but those are the vast minority. Lumping everybody who works out into this category of "self-obsessed jerks who are being held down by the systematic oppression of our bogus beauty standards, man" is just a way to make yourself feel better for not pursuing a healthier lifestyle.

It's okay to be unhealthy. Being disparaging of those that are, however, is not.
    Weight training is time-efficient, especially for people looking to lose weight. You can do a twenty minute workout with weights or two hours of cardio and get more weight loss benefits from the weight training. Big muscles are actually in and of themselves useful for losing weight since they require more calories to operate, relative to having the same amount of extra tissue as fat.

Also, sit-ups and crunches suck. Save your back the trouble and do squats instead. Squats work the legs and entire core instead of just the abs with one movement. Push-ups and pull-ups are good though, and if you really hate any kind of strength training but like to jog by all means do what you enjoy. But if you don't like working out but want a healthier body and want to make the best use of your time, strength training is the way to go.
    This signature is no longer incredibly out of date, but it is still irrelevant.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

How about you just go to the gym with these guys and tell us how horrible it was afterwards? Or go outside and do some bodyweight exercises with the other guy. Then ask us if people judge you, when they see you training

Quote Originally Posted by Icewraith View Post
    Also, sit-ups and crunches suck. Save your back the trouble and do squats instead. Squats work the legs and entire core instead of just the abs with one movement.
    Sit-ups and crunches are fine, if you're doing them right and squats certainly won't replace a good abb-workout.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Many go to the gym, something I will never understand, the fact that people pay to go to machines to suffer pain in other to fit what our society say is beautiful strikes as something out of a dystopian novel or movie.
    I can't roll my eyes as hard as this comment justifies.

Okay, so you're aware that you're judgemental. That's a good start. And you feel that people shouldn't be easily offended. Ok great. This is a good base to start totally changing your perception of things. Because you really need to grow out of this "oh god everyone is so awful and superficial and I'm the only one that gets life".

Because... like the exact opposite of that is true. People go to the gym for many reasons. Being vain might be one of them, but that's fine. People are allowed to have a vice. Other people go to lose weight. Other people go to maintain their weight because they can't look at a hamburger without gaining five pounds. Some people just want to be active (as being sedentary has been found to be worse than being overweight according to some studies). Some people are there for physical therapy. Some people are training. Some people just want to look good.

You don't go to the gym because you're caught up on the reasons that other people go to the gym. As far as reasons for not going to the gym go, this is by far one of the dumbest ones. Don't get caught up in the whats and whys of other people. You're letting them control you by virtue of your judgement. You ascribe to them negative traits, and then say "I don't want to be like that". Don't do that. When you see someone at the gym, you don't know why they are there. You just invent it in your head, and then proceed with judging and excusing yourself from working out because you're better than that.

Seriously... you're getting bent out of shape because someone looks at themselves in the mirror after doing a set? You think you're virtuous for not caring how you look? Sorry, but you're not. We can value more than one thing at a time. I can value you for your mind, and for the way you take care of yourself. If you have something brilliant to share with me, but your hair is a tangled rat's nest, your teeth are yellow and your breath stinks, and your clothes are piss-stained and you smell like ****... I won't give you the time of day. You are offending my senses.

Come on, The Eye. You're not better than anyone. You're human. It's fine not to like sport. I don't care for sports. My friends do, so I go to games with them or go over to watch games at their apartments. I don't get "sports" like they do. But I don't shunt myself to the next level of human evolution and transcendence because "derp, I don't get it, it's just guys hitting each other, you're all stupid".

In other words, try to not understand other people without the super judgemental superiority complex.

Among my new friends there is a guy, he is very fit, and during our conversations he claims he don't go to the gym and shares my views of how boring and horrible it is.

Yes. He can do exercises simply using his body weight. Stuff like push ups, pull ups, leg raises, etc. And of course cardio.
    I must confess that I don't envy him, since despite some times wanting to have a body like that I like to think I'm above such petty aesthetic thing.
    But you're not above it. You know who's above it? People that don't care about other people going to the gym to look good. For you, it bothers you. I don't know what you look like, but I imagine you making a disgusted look on your face when you talk about this. You're not above it. It bugs you.
    My main discourse is how the world we live in cares more about what we look than what we are, if I go on working on having a body like that I would be betraying my own philosophy so I feel like I should not do it.
    This is just not true. I could look like a super model and if I'm a total *******, most people won't like me. Some people will, yes, of course. But most people won't.
    Beauty is a transient thing not worth that amount of time and dedication.
    Yeah, that goes for literally everything in the grand scheme of things kiddo. Not deep at all.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I work out to keep my stomach in check and because when I don't for a while I feel like crap and my back hurts, but thanks for telling me my secret reasons man. I happen to also hate going to the gym alone but I like group high intensity training (I do crossfit now because I found a place I like and I enjoy the mix of cardio, calisthenics and weightlifting, but I've attended other types and they're all pretty fun... Also a good place to meet fit girls). I imagine it would also be a good way to socialize and grow out of the insufferable teenager phase you seem to be stuck in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

If I get too out of shape it makes my back problems worse and then it frigging hurts. Also jogging to work means that I spend less money on gas at the same time. Vanity is far from the only reason to work out.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Bodyweight training includes all movements you could do at a gym using machines or weights; the only difference is where the resistance comes from. Hence it's possible to work all the same muscles with or without a gym. There are dozens of fitness systems which you can use at home, from Pilates to various forms of yoga and martial arts.

Also, you know, sports. Though most amateur and professional sportspeople supplement their sport and bodyweight exerises with gym training.

It really shouldn't be so hard to see the appeal. Yes, you can improve your looks, lose weight etc. by working out. But physical activity is rewarding on its own as well - it releases endorphins etc. hormones associated with pleasure. Pain is just one half of it. And in the long run, moderate levels of sports tend to decrease pain and health issues, as they prevent issues like back pains from weak core muscles.

It's also hilarious you woe how firefighters get less pay than NHL stars. Firefighting is one of the most physically demanding jobs there is, working out to stay fit is practically a requirement, to the point where it's not uncommon for firestations to have gyms of their own. Many firefighters also do amateur teamsports, or did when young. In places where ice hockey is popular, there is actually notably overlap between people who become firefighters and people who become hockey players.

The same holds to greater or lesser extent for all physical occupations. Hating sports is really counterproductive if you do any such labour, as not doing sports to balance out work is a great way to acrue injury or health issues as you age.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

but then again I’m a very judgmental person.
    THIS. This sums up every one of your topics. So yea, I think instead of wondering why people do things. Ask yourself why am I judgmental.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I'm with you The Eye, time spent in a gym is boring!

What's not boring?

Exploring!

Get a bicycle, or very good shoes.

Also not boring?

Boating!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I'd add rock climbing walls to that list - and it's a pretty significant list. Weights are ridiculously expensive even if you have the space for them, and then there's a good chance that you'll have to shell out some money for a specialized lifting platform as well. Rock climbing walls are entirely out of the budget of anyone who's not in the habit of assigning specialized activity rooms in their mansion, with even rock climbing equipment being pretty pricey (and I really wouldn't recommend going anywhere near an actual climb unless you're already in good shape).

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I'm with you The Eye, time spent in a gym is boring!

What's not boring?

Exploring!

Get a bicycle, or very good shoes.

Also not boring?

Boating!
    This I'd agree with - not in an absolute sense, but in the sense of how some people (myself included) find stationary bicycles and rowing machines incredibly tedious, while actual bicycles and boats that involve rowing (or paddling, it's not like a kayak or canoe doesn't get you exercise) are downright fun. It's generally worth looking into, and boat rental for kayaks and canoes is pretty comparable with a gym membership and use of a rowing machine unless it's incredibly constant.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

@Icewraith

Agreed with what you said until:

Quote Originally Posted by Icewraith View Post
    Also, sit-ups and crunches suck. Save your back the trouble and do squats instead. Squats work the legs and entire core instead of just the abs with one movement.
    Not what I've been taught, which is that you must must do other core training, particularly planks, leg raises etc in order to squat safely, since you need the core to be strong first.
    Last edited by paddyfool; 2017-07-27 at 12:16 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post
    Not what I've been taught, which is that you must must do other core training, particularly planks, leg raises etc in order to squat safely, since you need the core to be strong first.
    I was just about to comment on this. I am fully behind ditching crunches and sit-ups because they do suck as far as an all-around core exercise goes.

Just drop to the floor and do a plank when you're done with those squats. They will be perfectly safe as long as your form is correct and you don't over-do the weight. But do those planks if you ever want that weight to increase above what you started with.
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

My Player Registry Entry

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Overall on the thread:

The Eye, I think that you've fallen into a trap by attaching your antipathy for competitive sport and beauty culture to all working out. There are many reasons to get regular exercise (of a kind you enjoy, which for me is also neither competitive sport not the gym). Here are some:

- Mental wellbeing and discipline. The link from a healthy body to a healthy mind is recognised in cultures from hundreds of years of Shaolin monastic traditions to ancient Rome to the present day. Physical activity can even be helpful in reducing your risks of / managing anxiety, depression, and many other mental health complaints.

- Physical health. If you stay physically active, you'll be healthier. As shown in a thousand medical studies, going back at least as far as Gerry Morris' studies in the 1950s, where he found that bus conductors (who walked up and down buses all the time checking people's tickets) lived on average five years longer than bus drivers (who sat down at work all the time), despite very similar lifestyles otherwise. Exercise well and you'll be doing your body good in many ways - heart, lungs, blood pressure control, bone strength (which will matter when you're old), joint support, pain control, reducing your risk of back injuries or hernias if you have good core muscles, reducing your risk of diabetes etc.

- Fun and enjoyment. I always hated competitive sport at school. But subsequently I found casually doing sports of various kinds to actually be fun, when I was doing them in my own time, on my terms voluntarily. I also had a lot of fun with activities from dance to martial arts to mucking around in boats to climbing and hiking. Even walking or cycling to work feels more enjoyable to me than using a car or public transport.

- Being able to respond well to a physical emergency. If/when something goes wrong in your life or to people around you, and you'd want to, say, be able to literally carry a friend or child out of a bad situation, it would be good to be able to, don't you think?

- Looking better. Yes, It's a thing, but as this list will show you, far from the only thing. I'm far from beauty-culture obsessed. I don't moisturise, don't cut my hair as often as I should, don't wear fragrances, generally dress down etc. But people notice if your body looks physically healthy and they comment on it. Even if you don't take it to the level of having a six pack or whatever.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Working out is also a good thing for people with diabetes, it helps keep our blood sugar levels down, which in turn make our A1c levels down, which makes our doctors very happy with us. Sadly I can't "work" out, but I do like to go on 15-20 minute walks, which always does wonders for my blood sugar levels, and it also burns off some excess calories and helps keep my weight down, which ALSO makes my body healthier and helps me produce more insulin naturally, thus again, keeping my blood sugar/A1c levels down. Lots and lots of "health" reasons to work out to the best of ones abilities, I'd honestly wager that most people that do work out, are doing so for the health benefits, as opposed to the vanity reasons you ascribe to them.