New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [Empire5!] The First Galactic Expo

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Hermicus View Post
    The Ndoda:

After completing his poetic exchange with Proxos, Ty-Rone hops over to Mitzi. Hi-hi, fluffy friend! How's your auction going? Listen, I wanted to say...

Ty-Rone's eyes darken again. It appears that we have a bit of an issue. You stole our region. You're lucky, though, because we've been paid for it twice now. Thank the Kronin that you aren't getting invaded.

He calms down and begins speaking in the softer, mewling voice that he started with. Also, I wanted to put a lot up for auction. A general of great military skill, name of Bdeh Kekkles. He's a Melfynian expatriate, who has been working with us for a few years now. We'd like to sell his services to the highest bidder.
    Mitzi twitches her whiskers in distaste. "Do you have proof that Bdeh Kekkles is selling his services of his own free will? Us civilized folk don't deal with slavery." With a nod to the others in the tent, she continued. "I'm not entirely sure what grounds you have to threaten with, either. You're too far from us to launch any effective military attack, and the Ndoda have too many numbers and allies to go quietly. Perhaps you should be glad that your slave empire isn't close enough for us to deal with you. Gar, would you mind taking out the trash?"

Gar the Theseon happily trotted over to Ty-Rone, grabbed him by the scruff, and hauled him out of the pavilion to land outside the fabric doors. "If'n ye cannae act wifout makin' threats, then stay out until ya can do business like a civil bein'!"

A courier ran to Mitzi again, and she spoke once more to the pavilion. "A bid has entered! One region and a technology for conversion rights to all five Ndodan regions!"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Ninurtines

"Intriguing. Say your one of neighbors steals jewels from another. Then a third neighbor attacks the thief and takes everything they own for themselves, and the first neighbor as a slave?".Grey is enjoying this. She is a philosopher, and these sorts of object lessons are not uncommon in Syndrome space.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PepperP. View Post
    Sai turned, surprised to hear the Master's voice coming from beside her instead of from within the pavilion. Mika Ren remained steady, the Princess had not been taken by surprise.

"Oh forgive me, I didn't see you there." Sai's surprised turned into a warm smile.

"It has been too long." The Empress drew close to place a kiss on each of the Warden's cheeks. Mika Ren watched warily, she wasn't sure she was the kissing type.

"Master Heaventredder, this is my daughter, Mika Ren." The not-quite grown teenager pushed her hood back off of her head to reveal unusually dark hair for a Droccen. A gift from her father, along with the serious eyes. The rest of her features were her mother's.

"A pleasure to meet a brave Warden, I am sure." She studied the Master of Shadows for a moment before acquiescing to custom and gave him a shallow bow. Sai smiled at her and took Antich's arm.

"Let us wander the grounds by ourselves if Vix-Tal doesn't mind. There is much for us to discuss. I understand your space is being harried by multiple ah... "Same" factions? The notion that they have breached the Core steals my breath with fear." She led them past the various pavilions as she spoke, Mika Ren and several Guardians following closely behind.

Antich looked pleased that his training worked so effortlessly. Walking amidst the shadows was a time honored skill of Masters in the Accord. The smallest curl of his lip signified his true feelings, though it hesitated at the sight of the small princess, and he felt.... something. She had felt him approach. Perhaps he still had much to learn despite being a Master. The world was just a shadow afterall.

His cheeks turned the same pink as the Droccen empress as she drew close to him, snapping the Chief Deputy Warden out of his mental musing, and directly into self chastizing. By the time she pulled away they were already subdued and back to the light olive complexion he had upon arriving but it was a lapse in his control long enough for Mika Ren to notice. He bowed his head respectfully to the Princess in turn and with his head lowered just so gave her a knowing look.

"I'm sure the Fire Lord won't mind," He gazed in the distance as the massive white furry frame of the Hearthling Master was seen carousing and arguing with some kind of meat vendor "... Or even notice. Not like fire to wait around after all. Shiv-Pa, tend to the Pavillion while I'm gone." Further within a faint growling hoot could be heard in affirmation. Walking around the Expo grounds Antich feigned interest in the various foreign polities and their pavillions but in truth kept the focus of his eyes in his periphery, on the Princess that walked beside him, and the way she moved.

"You are sadly correct, Empress. The rumors are true, the Same have begun the largest offensive in living memory for Axiom, and due to my own callous misjudgement. Our augurs were in good talks with the Gelean Empire on their progress in reverse engineering Same weapons and we thought to duplicate it with the divinations they have produced on the battlefield and in waiting. I will personally see to the defense of the Umbral Augury and the brave men and women pledged under the Core Patrol Corps with it. If the Source is with us, we shall prevail, and push them back to their side of the Core. I am hopeful for the coming trials but the weight of a million souls rests on my shoulders."
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Antich looked pleased that his training worked so effortlessly. Walking amidst the shadows was a time honored skill of Masters in the Accord. The smallest curl of his lip signified his true feelings, though it hesitated at the sight of the small princess, and he felt.... something. She had felt him approach. Perhaps he still had much to learn despite being a Master. The world was just a shadow afterall.

His cheeks turned the same pink as the Droccen empress as she drew close to him, snapping the Chief Deputy Warden out of his mental musing, and directly into self chastizing. By the time she pulled away they were already subdued and back to the light olive complexion he had upon arriving but it was a lapse in his control long enough for Mika Ren to notice. He bowed his head respectfully to the Princess in turn and with his head lowered just so gave her a knowing look.

"I'm sure the Fire Lord won't mind," He gazed in the distance as the massive white furry frame of the Hearthling Master was seen carousing and arguing with some kind of meat vendor "... Or even notice. Not like fire to wait around after all. Shiv-Pa, tend to the Pavillion while I'm gone." Further within a faint growling hoot could be heard in affirmation. Walking around the Expo grounds Antich feigned interest in the various foreign polities and their pavillions but in truth kept the focus of his eyes in his periphery, on the Princess that walked beside him, and the way she moved.

"You are sadly correct, Empress. The rumors are true, the Same have begun the largest offensive in living memory for Axiom, and due to my own callous misjudgement. Our augurs were in good talks with the Gelean Empire on their progress in reverse engineering Same weapons and we thought to duplicate it with the divinations they have produced on the battlefield and in waiting. I will personally see to the defense of the Umbral Augury and the brave men and women pledged under the Core Patrol Corps with it. If the Source is with us, we shall prevail, and push them back to their side of the Core. I am hopeful for the coming trials but the weight of a million souls rests on my shoulders."
    "I understand the Geleans have been a big help in our cause against the Same. We had them blacklisted ever since Aurora but policies change over time, and dire circumstances I suppose." Empress Sai grimaced and squeezed the man's arm sympathetically. It was all too easy to imagine his burden as her own, her people too, bordered the Core. Mika Ren's eyes flicked to the Shadow Master's and flit away quickly. She pulled her hood back up as if to hide herself from his weighty gaze though she couldn't help but glance at him as his nature felt startlingly akin to her own.

"As for Droccen's part, I have ordered four fighter squadrons to be deployed immediately to area CpC bases." Sai looked anxiously up at Antich.

"I am afraid it might be too little too late though I pray for your victory at Hearth and Cricalores." She looked behind her and motioned to one of the Guardians that trailed behind Mika Ren.

"Master Antich, this is the Guardian Kazu. His guidance and service in your name is my gift to you. May his wisdom guide you well through these trying times and beyond." The Guardian Kazu stepped forward and bowed at the Shadow Master.

"I am in your service, Master. I pledge to guide you and protect you to the best of my capabilities."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post

A rather haggard-looking man entered the auction hall and spent a moment looking at each of the auctioneers in turn, as if trying to suss them out. Eventually he made his way over to Gar Gundo.

"Good day, sir. I represent the interests of Lord Donál, who wishes to present his entire stock of slaves for sale at auction. Two hundred and thirteen individuals, full particulars as to age, sex, fertility, labour experience, et cetera, to follow and available on request. When do you think you will be able to present the lot?"
    Gar Gundo was excited to have some more traffic in the pavilion, until the man opened his mouth. "Didja nae see that thar Rothun flee outta here, man? This 'ere tent doesnae deal in slaves!" And swiftly proceeded to demonstrate his throwing skills again.

With the number of entrants sent flying out of the tent, Mitzi thought, it was a wonder they got any traffic at all.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

”It’s fine.” It wasn’t “Eladia’s replacement.... yes, I recall her wedding in Dynastinarea. It was quite the spectacle.”

She began to prepare a cup of tea, her claws moving lightly in the process, and orchestrating the floating utensils with disciplined precision.

”Would you like a cup? You’re more than welcome to stay and wait if you wish. My Master shall return in time I’m sure.”
    "Yes... thank you." Khyran watched the mage levitate the utensils with a raised eyebrow.

"Do all of your people possess such talents?" He was curious despite himself as he recalled Eladia's growing fascination with the Twisted Wands of Isporly.
    Last edited by Mary_Sue; 2019-11-12 at 10:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    God, get it together Mary.
    Thank you to AsteriskAmp for the lovely avatar!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Halfling in the Playground

The Etherite delegation arrives in numbers not really seen outside of their space with several hundred Etherites with a wide range of appearances being part of the delegation and entourage. Mixed in with the group are a handful of the humanoids from the Redonda system and a few of the silicon spiders, refugees from Melfyian space.

Spoiler: Cast
    Show

• Ouren Dris'Thelle - Current leader of the Etherites, director of Energies - Female bipedal fox like in appearance and a rather gregarious in overall personality.
    • Trask Shu'Petarn - Dr of medicine and sometime diplomat. Trask is something more akin to a golden lab in appearance and while generally reserved, when speaking on his fields is quite passionate and energetic.
    • Pieter Strasskovich - Known as the Teacher and often refered to simply as that is a dark coated hyena featured and rather severe individual. His focus is primarily in Noetic science and in the finding and focusing of educational techniques.
    • Lance Underwood - Redondan rep - a dark skinned humanoid who speaks with an odd phrasing and cadence even for the burgeoning galactic basic.

Spoiler: Pavillion
    Show

The Etherite Pavillion is a reasonably large structure heavily featuring a multitude of crystalline structures of various colors, the ceiling of which being a clear opaque color that diffuses sunlight throughout the complex in a smooth clean manner. The overall complex is a large circle with a series of nine ramps on the outside leading up to the roof that has a central access point with three sets of three methods down. One a smooth set of winding stairs around the central hub, one a series of three more classic lift or elevator platforms to shuttle people and three seeming holes in the roof that when stepped into allow one to thing themselves up or down in a form of gravity assisted suspension.

Inside the central hub is a large welcoming area bringing people into the complex as a whole with bright displays and some simple displays of crystal and plasma based techs and effects. The ring around the area is split into nine equal parts, one for each of the branches of education and focuses of study. Showing off some of the more interesting fanciful items as well as more practical effects that are studied within each of the University's halls. Each of them has a pair of names above their entrance halls that when attention is put to it, has a localized vocal translation as well as a light mental push of the concept sent to the individual.

Energetic Physics, known more commonly as Forces is a hall showing off the both subtle and not ways that the Etherite technomagic interacts with "basic" building block forces, a forge that sheds no external heat but shows to be 1000C inside, bands that when attached can help counteract gravity helping to buoy heavy or unwieldly objects, Coils with arcing electricity used to play music.

Necxt is the Etheric Biology or Life, showing off a variety of medical and surgical pieces of equipment and technique as well as being a clearing house for visiting xenobiologists. Tools showing how blood and bone can be mended and augmented.

Next is Etheric Engineering and Chemistry or Matter, showing off a variety of at time prosaic chemistry or physical engineering projects but also how with the correct emphasis and study matter can be transmuted, altered or reorganized.

Noetic Science or Mind is next and while there are some displays and talks regarding psychology, the technomagical interactions with various aspects of psychics and telepaths is the main emphasis with some demonstrations from the neighboring crystaline spiders helping to demonstrate psychic to audible devices that allow two way communication with races that don't normally have such a thing.

Metaphysical Ether or Prime is where Ouren spends much of her time when not out on the floor or visiting other dignitaries. It is the home of displays and projects showing how the same basic energy patterns are present on all worlds and showing a burgeoning theory and study into networks of energy connecting the stars themselves.

Etheric and Mimetic Dimensional study or Spirit while not normally brought out in public much there are a variety of googles available to help facilitate interactions with a variety of spirit forms, those of elemental inclination, some, appear to be in or part of machines, and some glimpses are caught of some that are tough to describe beyond being purely a singular concept.

Causality or time has a variety of displays showing the ability to cause objects and even people to experience local temporary time dialations, short bursts where time speeds up or slows down with practical applications when combined with the others.

Space or Correspondence, also known as sympathy displays some, slightly more obvious applications with short range matter transportation that leads up to combinations of projects from other schools and disciplines showing how bonds between items, beings, concepts allow effects to take place beyond a visual range.

Ether Dynamics or Entropy has something of an odd dicotomy to it's display, some showing how entropy on physical object can be sped or slowed with practical applications and yet in one corner there is a group of younger students giving a practical demonstration on the effects of probabilistic manipulation of basic odds. Simply put a bunch of hyena looking Etherites and much of the Redonda delegation are playing a variety of games of chance with both sides showing great methods of "cheating."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

A fountain stood as the centerpiece of the Vilari pavilion, though to call it such did a disservice to the truth. Twelve streams of water flowed suspended in mid air, held aloft by gravity projectors and arcane rites working in accord. The ribbons of water flowed together in ever-shifting patterns of abstract shape and scope that somehow still evoked images of Vilari, Curator, Bezhuq, and all the numerous races of the Gardens of Leira. Even Kryptids were represented, though that small enclave had yet to embrace the Sodality fully. With each shift, the water shimmered with rainbow hues, and beneath the colors shone the constellations that decorated Raphos' sky. Around the fountain stood twelve pillars in a wide circle, each one white shot through with veins of gold, holding aloft force projectors that spun webs of light and shadow in a dome over the whole affair. The effect was much like staring at currents from the ocean floor, or so some might guess had they never had the pleasure. Within the pavilion, the hum of iridescent forces was low and close as a heartbeat, but the air outside projected a sweet, wordless song just at the edge of hearing.

Arrayed in the alcoves formed by the pillars were exhibits of particular interest to the Sodality. In one, scholars crowded around one of the Sapphire Lords, exchanging theories and revelations of the arcane forces of the galaxy. In another, a scale model of a Vilari Reef-Station served as the centerpiece for talks on orbital habitats, and the challenges faced by extra-planetary communities. However, the proudest exhibit of the Sodality sat opposite the entrance to the pavilion, past the coruscating spectacle of their fountain. A tall plinth of asteroid-granite stood watch over the proceedings, its glossy surface engraved with the words of the Star League Charter. Many names were marked at the bottom, both as members and as witnesses, but a great deal of space remained.

Outside the pavilion, representatives of the Sodality mingled with ease, many of them exulting in the opportunity to finally argue Lyraen Opera or Republican Serials with their originators. Crowded around the entrance to the Vilari pavilion was a veritable festival in miniature, Bezhuq and Vilari merchants offering mementos and refreshments for almost nothing. One shadowed stall even offered Eel Wine, to those most adventurous of Expo attendees.

Lyrae

Outside the Lyraen pavilion, a single Vilari approached the guard. He moved more slowly than many remembered, bowed under the weight of more than two decades of responsibility, his maroon skin a shade lighter, perhaps, than it had been. However, Speaker Ren-Kulto's eyes were as bright as ever as he raised his hand in the Vilari Star.

"Greetings, proud Lyraen and fellow traveler. I wish to speak with my old friend, to share my sympathies and my congratulations on her glorious rebirth."

Wardens

As Vix-Tal toured the sprawling bazaar, a bright shadow eventually crossed his eye. Down a crowded avenue stood a bone-white Vilari, the markings on his encounter suit beaming the same blood-red as his eyes. His eyes locked with the hearthling, and after a moment his face wrinkled in that strange Vilari smile.

"Vix-Tal, you magnificent bastard!"

The resonant double-voice of the Vilari cut through the crowd, and as he strode forward they parted for him like the tide. Sildyr-Vos's arms rose to either side with his approach, clearly eschewing the traditional Vilari greeting for the one hearthlings were so known for.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2019-11-13 at 04:03 AM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ty-Rone and those filthy Crocs:

Ty-Rone snarls from the exterior of the tent. So the Ndoda wanted to kick him out of their auction? No matter. He had tried to offer them an olive branch, and they had refused. Refused and, to judge by their reaction to his auction of Kekkles, entirely misunderstood his intention. All right, fine then. If you don't want the peace that I offer you in my magnanimousness, you'll have to pay for it. Either in blood or in gold.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The Rothuun offer to refrain from punishing the Ndoda has now been raised to two techs instead of one.

The capybara waits and, when the pavilion opens again to expel the Ninurtine, he slips through underneath the sight line of the auctioneers. Sneaking up behind Mitzi, he clears his throat loudly to startle her, and then pulls out a holo-projector. A holographic Melfynian appears on the surface of the projector. Ty-Rone gives him a meaningful look.

Hello! I'm General Bdeh Kekkles, formerly of Melfynius, currently in service to the Rothuun Galactic Holdings.

And are you selling your services freely? asks Ty-Rone?

Yes. the Melfynian replies. Ty-Rone shuts down the projector. Well? Are you going to buy, or not?
    Last edited by Gaius Hermicus; 2019-11-13 at 07:54 AM.

Played as New Bhule in Empire!4
    Played as the Rothuun Galactic Hegemony in Empire!5
    Played as the United Blemmyae Tribes in Empire!6

10. - Top - End - #70

Firelord encounter

After speaking with a myriad of pushy aliens, one of whom seemed to be particularly aggressive in passing pamphlets about the Star League. SPACE KING and Knight Christie head to a buffet area near the Droccen pavilion, as Dio goes off to have a "practice mindfulness," much to the chagrin of the others. While searching for what delectable morsels remain Knight Christie nearly losses her temper as the only thing left in the face of the rapacious crowd is deep fried greasy SPACE CHICKEN

UUgh no horse lasagna, no horse veal, and the only napkins in sight are these Star League Pamphlets. How are you able to deal with this ?!

In an oddly insightful moment SPACE KING responded. With lots of CARDIO, also this talk of eating horses is making me uncomfortable, my BEST MAN is a SPACE HORSE.

Christie pointing her nose up defiantly. Hmph, don't judge what you haven't tried! I'll have you know that horse meat is filled with protein, has a refined earth flavor, keeps my skin clear, etc. etc. SPACE KING began to tune her out as he absentmindedly began grabbing spicy SPACE HOT WING, until one particularly succulent wing was contested by a certain Firelord.
    Beautiful Avatar thanks to Gengy

Hangs out on the World building forums

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Spoiler: The gift that keeps on giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving some more
    Show
    Spoiler: Metric tons of giving
    Show
    Spoiler: Keep going
    Show
    Spoiler: Suprise
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

The capybara waits and, when the pavilion opens again to expel the Ninurtine, he slips through underneath the sight line of the auctioneers. Sneaking up behind Mitzi, he clears his throat loudly to startle her, and then pulls out a holo-projector. A holographic Melfynian appears on the surface of the projector. Ty-Rone gives him a meaningful look.

Hello! I'm General Bdeh Kekkles, formerly of Melfynius, currently in service to the Rothuun Galactic Holdings.

And are you selling your services freely? asks Ty-Rone?

Yes. the Melfynian replies. Ty-Rone shuts down the projector. Well? Are you going to buy, or not?
    Mitzi pulls a paw over one of her ears and leads Ty-Rone into one of the backrooms as she had done with the Kronin. "If his assurement is genuine, then we will permit the services of General Bdeh Kekkles to stand as Lot 10. Are there any forms of payment that you refuse? I will also need to know if you wish to remain anonymous as the seller of Lot 10 and how long you wish him to remain on sale. As bids enter, I will send a courier to update you if you wish to roam around the par

12. - Top - End - #72
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Lyraean Pavilion

"Very well." That is understandable, if unusual to the Syndrome. "Do you have other concerns I should be aware of?"
    "None at this time," Lyrae says, "Thank you for taking on this task.

Ty-Rone smiles at the Brewmaster, snatching the bottle from his hand and taking a deep drink from it. The drink hits him almost immediately. He sways, nearly toppling from the stage. One of his eyes darkens in rage, the other closes, as if asleep. That tastes strange. Tastes like sadness. He manages to regain control of himself partially. A toasht! To all poetsh, wherever they may come from!
    The effects on Proxos are not quite as pronounced, but even he is not immune to the power of the ultimate Space Brew. He grins widely, held tilting to the side, and shows off a massive collection of teeth. He sways back and forth, defying physics ever so slightly. He cackles at something only he can see. "Oh yes," he says, speech surprisingly unslurred, "This gives me...ideas."

"You're really too sweet, Lyrae. Mish Lyrae?" She asked, unsure which the goddess preferred in her new form. She took a piece of exotic fruit cake and took a bite. She smiled approvingly as she chew.

"I suppose it was a privilege to have been able to choose my own love. My youngest sister was not so lucky, though she bears her responsibility with grace." Even if she was still waiting for her new capital compound. Sai chewed guiltily.

"It is said Proxos wishes to join you in Lyrean space?" Sai asked nonchalantly, wishing to hear more of the rumors but wanting to remain delicate.

"Would it be a first, for two Lyrae to inhabit the same space?" She was curious to learn more of the Lyrean history, as unique as they were she didn't know much about them.
    "Ah," Lyrae says, holding up a paw, "Point of clarification. My name is Lyrae, but I am a Luminary. The Lyraens are called such because they are my children." She smiles. "But yes, Proxos will be joining us. The first of many, if I have my way. Luminaries are rare, you see, and I wish to find more of my kind."

Quote Originally Posted by Lleban View Post
    Have at me then, now that I'm free of the accursed LEG DAY, I've had ample time to exercise my BRAIN MUSCLES.
    Proxos' grin spreads all the way across his face, almost cutting it in half. It is...uncomfortably wide. "Come then!" he declares with gusto, "And follow me...to the SPACE CHESS!"

Lyrae

Outside the Lyraen pavilion, a single Vilari approached the guard. He moved more slowly than many remembered, bowed under the weight of more than two decades of responsibility, his maroon skin a shade lighter, perhaps, than it had been. However, Speaker Ren-Kulto's eyes were as bright as ever as he raised his hand in the Vilari Star.

"Greetings, proud Lyraen and fellow traveler. I wish to speak with my old friend, to share my sympathies and my congratulations on her glorious rebirth."
    The guard looks him over suspiciously, which is not a good sign if the Lyraens are suspicious even of old allies. Still, she lets Ren-Kulto inside and leads him to Lyrae's near-impervious box.

Inside, though she looks different and wears a more flattering outfit than her old, regal robes, he still can see the same bearing, same way of carrying herself, that the old Lyrae had. She turns towards him and gives him a nod and smile. "Ren Kulto," she says, "It has been a long time."

SPECIAL

A crowd begins to gather as the night approaches and the appointed hour draws near. The Lyraen's grand surprise will soon be revealed. The stage is cleared and curtains lowered over it. The house is opened to any and all, though under the watchful eyes of the Lyraen security. Great things will soon happen.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Firelord encounter

After speaking with a myriad of pushy aliens, one of whom seemed to be particularly aggressive in passing pamphlets about the Star League. SPACE KING and Knight Christie head to a buffet area near the Droccen pavilion, as Dio goes off to have a "practice mindfulness," much to the chagrin of the others. While searching for what delectable morsels remain Knight Christie nearly losses her temper as the only thing left in the face of the rapacious crowd is deep fried greasy SPACE CHICKEN

UUgh no horse lasagna, no horse veal, and the only napkins in sight are these Star League Pamphlets. How are you able to deal with this ?!

In an oddly insightful moment SPACE KING responded. With lots of CARDIO, also this talk of eating horses is making me uncomfortable, my BEST MAN is a SPACE HORSE.

Christie pointing her nose up defiantly. Hmph, don't judge what you haven't tried! I'll have you know that horse meat is filled with protein, has a refined earth flavor, keeps my skin clear, etc. etc. SPACE KING began to tune her out as he absentmindedly began grabbing spicy SPACE HOT WING, until one particularly succulent wing was contested by a certain Firelord.
    What was good in life?

To fight, to drink, to smash the faces of people you despised, and hear the lamentations of chickens about to be eaten. That was all he needed. The Fire Lord had lost track of his charge, that minx from Cricalores was too much for the boy, Antich, and he pawned her off to Vix-Tal like he was some cub sitter. He wasn’t sure when exactly the Goda had wandered off but he was sure she was fine. She was a Flame Hunter afterall, one of the greatest mercenaries in the galaxy, and it was more likely she would end up being in trouble for hurting someone than the other way around. Descending on a particularly massive buffet display the Fire Lord began to tear into it, stopping for only a second to stare down with void like eyes that froze blood in mens veins the poor attendant assigned to tell him “only take one”, and soon began to work his way across the table. Perhaps he would engage in some of this hammer throwing later. It didn’t seem like any unholy or evil kidnapping or slavery was going on here and so the Fire Lord was more than happy to just relax and enjoy himself.

He had spent so much time aboard The Squall with Constantine, battling the Same, and preparing for war that he relished these embers of the care free wandering life he held as a normal Master of Flame. The Celenian man was a great companion and a wise confidante but he wasn’t one for gluttony, spontaneity, and bellicose whimsy. He also was technically the captain of the ship and so the Fire Lord chaffed under such a relation of even the most pedantic subservience. Here he was fully free. He could take whatever he could wrap his claws around and devour it wholly. He reached down to grab a glob of spicy chicken and absent mindedly let his mind wander amongst the lilting poetry in the distance, and stopped his eating at the strange smell in his claws. He looked down and saw an incredibly rough and muscular hand instead of the delicious chicken he desired and his snow white feathers rustled instantly.

”Watch where you put your hands!” He growled as his eyes followed up the long sculpted forearms leading to biceps like baby heads mashed together and finally settled on the face of SPACE KING ”You! Solar Paramount SPACE KING EXEMPLAR! I was here first!”

Wardens

As Vix-Tal toured the sprawling bazaar, a bright shadow eventually crossed his eye. Down a crowded avenue stood a bone-white Vilari, the markings on his encounter suit beaming the same blood-red as his eyes. His eyes locked with the hearthling, and after a moment his face wrinkled in that strange Vilari smile.

"Vix-Tal, you magnificent bastard!"

The resonant double-voice of the Vilari cut through the crowd, and as he strode forward they parted for him like the tide. Sildyr-Vos's arms rose to either side with his approach, clearly eschewing the traditional Vilari greeting for the one hearthlings were so known for.
    “Sildyr-Vos you slippery sh**!” He cried out as he scooped up the Vilari for a swinging embrace that could be classified as a weapon of mass destruction for particularly diminutive races. Chuckling and roaring in equal measure he finished one last rotation before putting Sildyr-Vos down and placing both claws against the artfully drawn Source depiction on his armored belly.

“I didn’t think they let you boys out of your tanks unsupervised!”

Quote Originally Posted by Mary_Sue View Post
    "Yes... thank you." Khyran watched the mage levitate the utensils with a raised eyebrow.

"Do all of your people possess such talents?" He was curious despite himself as he recalled Eladia's growing fascination with the Twisted Wands of Isporly.
    She finished the preparations and final touches without a sound, either intentionally ignoring the question or otherwise so focused on her task as to be rendered deaf, and finally placed the simple cup before the Alysian before moving for her own.

”My people?” She finally answered, beak submerging in the cup as she mulled the question over “What do you mean “my people”? Her face grew hard and cold as if she had taken deep offense but a smile from the edge of the cups cracked the facade and her joke was revealed. ”If you mean Hearthlings than no, we do not all possess such a deep connection with The Source. My Master tells me the power of the universe flows through all things but not all are as open to it as he and I. Or many others as I have heard. If you mean those who follow The Source, those Sparks and Masters in service to it, and the many more touched deeply by it then yes. We all do possess such skills in different measure. It is those that I consider my true people.”

She finished her cup and began to run a single claw around its circumference “Some from your worlds even, Prime Minister.”

"I understand the Geleans have been a big help in our cause against the Same. We had them blacklisted ever since Aurora but policies change over time, and dire circumstances I suppose." Empress Sai grimaced and squeezed the man's arm sympathetically. It was all too easy to imagine his burden as her own, her people too, bordered the Core. Mika Ren's eyes flicked to the Shadow Master's and flit away quickly. She pulled her hood back up as if to hide herself from his weighty gaze though she couldn't help but glance at him as his nature felt startlingly akin to her own.

"As for Droccen's part, I have ordered four fighter squadrons to be deployed immediately to area CpC bases." Sai looked anxiously up at Antich.

"I am afraid it might be too little too late though I pray for your victory at Hearth and Cricalores." She looked behind her and motioned to one of the Guardians that trailed behind Mika Ren.

"Master Antich, this is the Guardian Kazu. His guidance and service in your name is my gift to you. May his wisdom guide you well through these trying times and beyond." The Guardian Kazu stepped forward and bowed at the Shadow Master.

"I am in your service, Master. I pledge to guide you and protect you to the best of my capabilities."
    ”Yes that act of terror against the Sisters was awful but since then I would like to think our continued relation with the Geleans has helped to foster a more balanced and reasonable nature. Their recent history seems to credit such even if those Masters in the Empire have not spread far from the capital.” He smiled softly at the squeeze and for a brief moment felt a warm solidarity he had not shared with another living creature since Zel-Dara’s passing ”Perhaps these ships will not come in time but the World does not end with the Wardens. If we are pushed out your help will be the impetus of our reclamation and if I am slain and we are purged your ships will be my sacred swan song of vengeance.” His expression hardened, darkened, and his young eyes held a weight that belied his years.

It did not hold when presented with the Guardian.

Returning to a steady expression he opened his eyes with a shade of wonder and observed the impressive humanoid machine with awe. He placed a hand upon its metallic frame and closed his eyes, breathing softly, and rhythmically to the flow he felt coursing through it. He opened his senses further, feeling the energy in the passerby’s around him, the ground beneath hum, the air above him, and the women beside him. It was unmistakable now.

“When I close my eyes he almost feels like home. Like the cold metal walls of Hearth.”

He opened his eyes and turned around, regarding the Empress with a newfound light, and looking to the Princess with a thought flickering in the back of his skull. Palming the badge of the Core Patrol Corps threaded into his dark robes he watched it flip between his fingers and behind his back as he spoke and moved to rejoin the two of them. “Kazu will be regarded with all the honor and grace I afford my Sparks and fellow Patrolmen. He is a gift unlike any other I have received. The Droccen are as generous as they are wise,” Standing betwixt Sai and Mika Ren he had spoken directly to the Empress but now turned suddenly to the Princess “Do you have a gift as well, Princess?” He asked seemingly sincerely with both hands open and empty. In the span of some scant few unseen seconds of his moving about he had managed to smuggle the badge within her pocket unbeknownst to most any observer and waited to see if she noticed the subtle and sudden shift in weight.
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2019-11-14 at 02:00 AM.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

14. - Top - End - #74

Spoiler
    Show
    She finished the preparations and final touches without a sound, either intentionally ignoring the question or otherwise so focused on her task as to be rendered deaf, and finally placed the simple cup before the Alysian before moving for her own.

”My people?” She finally answered, beak submerging in the cup as she mulled the question over “What do you mean “my people”? Her face grew hard and cold as if she had taken deep offense but a smile from the edge of the cups cracked the facade and her joke was revealed. ”If you mean Hearthlings than no, we do not all possess such a deep connection with The Source. My Master tells me the power of the universe flows through all things but not all are as open to it as he and I. Or many others as I have heard. If you mean those who follow The Source, those Sparks and Masters in service to it, and the many more touched deeply by it then yes. We all do possess such skills in different measure. It is those that I consider my true people.”

She finished her cup and began to run a single claw around its circumference “Some from your worlds even, Prime Minister.”
    Khyran took a seat, taking meticulous care of his trouser seams as he did.

"The mysteries of Shadow and Flame have become very popular in the capital recently, undoubtedly due to Eladia's... exploits." He kept his tone neutral.

"How might one if they had a connection to this... Source you speak of?" He picked up the warm mug and took an exploratory sip as he waited for her answer.
    God, get it together Mary.
    Thank you to AsteriskAmp for the lovely avatar!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miltonian View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Ah," Lyrae says, holding up a paw, "Point of clarification. My name is Lyrae, but I am a Luminary. The Lyraens are called such because they are my children." She smiles. "But yes, Proxos will be joining us. The first of many, if I have my way. Luminaries are rare, you see, and I wish to find more of my kind."
    "Forgive me, Lyrae. I am happy to be relieved of my ignorance." Sai gave the other woman a conciliatory smile, hoping she hadn't caused any offense.

"How many Luminaries do you know of? If it isn't impertinent to ask."

Spoiler
    Show
    ”Yes that act of terror against the Sisters was awful but since then I would like to think our continued relation with the Geleans has helped to foster a more balanced and reasonable nature. Their recent history seems to credit such even if those Masters in the Empire have not spread far from the capital.” He smiled softly at the squeeze and for a brief moment felt a warm solidarity he had not shared with another living creature since Zel-Dara’s passing ”Perhaps these ships will not come in time but the World does not end with the Wardens. If we are pushed out your help will be the impetus of our reclamation and if I am slain and we are purged your ships will be my sacred swan song of vengeance.” His expression hardened, darkened, and his young eyes held a weight that belied his years.

It did not hold when presented with the Guardian.

Returning to a steady expression he opened his eyes with a shade of wonder and observed the impressive humanoid machine with awe. He placed a hand upon its metallic frame and closed his eyes, breathing softly, and rhythmically to the flow he felt coursing through it. He opened his senses further, feeling the energy in the passerby’s around him, the ground beneath hum, the air above him, and the women beside him. It was unmistakable now.

“When I close my eyes he almost feels like home. Like the cold metal walls of Hearth.”

He opened his eyes and turned around, regarding the Empress with a newfound light, and looking to the Princess with a thought flickering in the back of his skull. Palming the badge of the Core Patrol Corps threaded into his dark robes he watched it flip between his fingers and behind his back as he spoke and moved to rejoin the two of them. “Kazu will be regarded with all the honor and grace I afford my Sparks and fellow Patrolmen. He is a gift unlike any other I have received. The Droccen are as generous as they are wise,” Standing betwixt Sai and Mika Ren he had spoken directly to the Empress but now turned suddenly to the Princess “Do you have a gift as well, Princess?” He asked seemingly sincerely with both hands open and empty. In the span of some scant few unseen seconds of his moving about he had managed to smuggle the badge within her pocket unbeknownst to most any observer and waited to see if she noticed the subtle and sudden shift in weight.
    Sai regarded Antich warmly as he accepted his Guardian into service. Her expression turned quizzical however, as the Master queried her daughter of gifts. Mika Ren had frozen in that moment of shifts and shadows that she couldn't have followed, but she somehow knew that the man had done something. She held her breath and slowly slipped her hand inside her cloak pocket as though afraid of what she might find inside. She drew her hand equally as carefully out, maintaining intense eye contact with the Warden the entire time.

"Is this what you seek, Master Heaventredder?" She opened her hand palm up to reveal the badge within her hand.
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Lyrae

Spoiler: Previously
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miltonian View Post
    The guard looks him over suspiciously, which is not a good sign if the Lyraens are suspicious even of old allies. Still, she lets Ren-Kulto inside and leads him to Lyrae's near-impervious box.

Inside, though she looks different and wears a more flattering outfit than her old, regal robes, he still can see the same bearing, same way of carrying herself, that the old Lyrae had. She turns towards him and gives him a nod and smile. "Ren Kulto," she says, "It has been a long time."

The suspicion of the Lyraens was understandable. Sensible, even. However,the distrust in their eyes only added to Ren-Kulto's burden. The smile that answered Lyrae's was a sad one, and he raised his hand with measured care.

"Indeed it has. Though not so long, I wager, for one born of the stars."

He paused, regarding Lyrae's new body. No, more than that - the new Lyrae.

"I mourn the passing of the life that was, that shepherded you to our first meeting. Yet as dawn follows after night, so too do we rejoice at your rebirth. We hope that you have not suffered overmuch in the aftermath, and that your people prosper in defiance of tragedy? Little news reaches the Sodality of Lyraen space. A sad change from the days when our people stood side by side, explorers on the frontier of this new age."

Vix-Tal

Show
    “Sildyr-Vos you slippery sh**!” He cried out as he scooped up the Vilari for a swinging embrace that could be classified as a weapon of mass destruction for particularly diminutive races. Chuckling and roaring in equal measure he finished one last rotation before putting Sildyr-Vos down and placing both claws against the artfully drawn Source depiction on his armored belly.

“I didn’t think they let you boys out of your tanks unsupervised!”

In defiance of the reserve most Vilari were known for, Sildyr-Vos' roar was near as loud as the Fire Lord's. Regaining his feet, and a measure of propriety, his back straightened before he chuckled.

"The Speaker's Ship-Master is obliged to follow and observe. Fleet-Masters, though?"

He shook his head, before gesturing back at the crowd.

"Ren-Kulto is a great man, but so politic you'd swear his heart wasn't beating. My interests are better served by solitude, or the company of fellow soldiers."

A six-fingered hand clapped onto Vix-Tal's shoulder, at once heavy with intent.

"We've heard reports of the attack. It shames me that we cannot do more to help."

Mika Ren

While many Vilari had come to attend the first Galactic Expo, none walked the shaded avenues with the excitement of Dyrma-Thal. The aftermath of the Commonwealth Auction had seen him stripped of his title of Assessor, assigned instead to the Speaker's staff. For years, he had served at the right hand of power in the Sodality, punished with duty and labor as was their way. Now, finally, he was set free upon a new world. Every sight, every sound, every scent lit a fire in his imagination, and he drifted from pavilion to pavilion almost in a dream. It was enough to forget the strange looks form many of the guards, and the low whispers that followed in his wake.

Eventually, the Vilari found himself browsing replicas of archaic Ninurtine maps. Though little more than a curiosity in the age of space flight, something about the delicate calligraphy and flowing lines enchanted Dyrma-Thal. Taking a roll of synth-parchment in his hands, he stepped back to catch the colors in the sunlight. Without warning, there was a bump against his back, and when he looked down he beheld a black-haired droccen girl struggling to regain her feet. A gasp resembling a raptor's cry escaped his throat, and he scrambled to return the map before dropping to his knees.

“I'm so sorry miss, I didn't see you there! Are you alright?”

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mary_Sue View Post
    Khyran took a seat, taking meticulous care of his trouser seams as he did.

"The mysteries of Shadow and Flame have become very popular in the capital recently, undoubtedly due to Eladia's... exploits." He kept his tone neutral.

"How might one if they had a connection to this... Source you speak of?" He picked up the warm mug and took an exploratory sip as he waited for her answer.
    Shiv-Pa flexed her claws, feeling the way the air parted with the smooth cutting motion, and showed it to the Alysian.

"It's a feeling. Internal mostly though sometimes one has it forcefully and bluntly presented before them. When your heart beats and it seems like everything around you beats at the same time, or the shadows on your walls blend to tell a story or a mystery only you can hear, and the blood in your veins is palpable to your very thoughts. We are all connected to the Source, to the world around us, and we all experience these things in little ways. We Knights om service of it merely experience these phenomena more frequently or atleast pursue these experiences with greater fervor then other mystics before."

A smile crept on her face, one genuinely pleased with the conversation, and she closed her eyes to focus.

"My Master tells me that when you are most isolated, when you close your eyes, hold your breath, still your mind.... and still feel the stirring of a power from all around and afar that is the surest sign of the Source flowing strongly through you."

Sai regarded Antich warmly as he accepted his Guardian into service. Her expression turned quizzical however, as the Master queried her daughter of gifts. Mika Ren had frozen in that moment of shifts and shadows that she couldn't have followed, but she somehow knew that the man had done something. She held her breath and slowly slipped her hand inside her cloak pocket as though afraid of what she might find inside. She drew her hand equally as carefully out, maintaining intense eye contact with the Warden the entire time.

"Is this what you seek, Master Heaventredder?" She opened her hand palm up to reveal the badge within her hand.
    Antich nodded his head in approval, taking the small circular lightweight black and silver badge with delicate fingers, and as he pulled it back peered at the young Droccen Princess through the void in its center. He never broke eye contact with the young girl, his intense stare as cloudy as the quasars and asteroid storms of his home, and he finally flipped the badge in his hand to break the staredown. Turning to face Sai he held the badge back down for Mika Ren and addressed the Empress.

"Your daughter is most impressive. I haven't met many younglings as gifted and shrewd as her. She is touched by the Source of that I have no doubt. With time and proper application she would be a legend."

In defiance of the reserve most Vilari were known for, Sildyr-Vos' roar was near as loud as the Fire Lord's. Regaining his feet, and a measure of propriety, his back straightened before he chuckled.

"The Speaker's Ship-Master is obliged to follow and observe. Fleet-Masters, though?"

He shook his head, before gesturing back at the crowd.

"Ren-Kulto is a great man, but so politic you'd swear his heart wasn't beating. My interests are better served by solitude, or the company of fellow soldiers."

A six-fingered hand clapped onto Vix-Tal's shoulder, at once heavy with intent.

"We've heard reports of the attack. It shames me that we cannot do more to help."
    "Solitude is a cruel mistress my friend. She gives sweet whispers and freezes your heart, fills you with dreams ripped from reality, and throws you under when a giant Hearthling smashes your face in." He roared in laughter "It doesn't fit me right. Now a company of warriors? People who can handle my power? Now that I can burn in." He began to playfully kindle sparks inbetween his talons as he spoke, motes of light dancing through the air, and fading as soon as they left his grasp. "The Boy thinks this attack is somehow our fault. Like we haven't done enough for the galaxy. Maybe he could benefit from some of your Speaker's politic. Not that I'd want it!"

He ceased his pyrotechnics and looked wistfully to the sun above.

"You would feel more than shame if you had been at Cricalores. Or Taurina II. I've fought more battles than I can remember. But nothing like the Same. Nothing at all. At first it was pleasurable, every fight is, swarms of enemies I can rip or tear into at will, and a field of exploding lights painting a mosaic of fire. Beautiful. But they take no prisoner, hold no debate, and seek no quarter. They are Death without Glory, Fire without Heat, Life without Meaning. The Rothuun have fought excitedly beside me before on Cricalores and we crushed the Same once with ease. Now we stand with forces from acoss the galaxy, but the Rothuun leadership is under a faulty hand, and I wonder what the future holds."
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Mika Ren

While many Vilari had come to attend the first Galactic Expo, none walked the shaded avenues with the excitement of Dyrma-Thal. The aftermath of the Commonwealth Auction had seen him stripped of his title of Assessor, assigned instead to the Speaker's staff. For years, he had served at the right hand of power in the Sodality, punished with duty and labor as was their way. Now, finally, he was set free upon a new world. Every sight, every sound, every scent lit a fire in his imagination, and he drifted from pavilion to pavilion almost in a dream. It was enough to forget the strange looks form many of the guards, and the low whispers that followed in his wake.

Eventually, the Vilari found himself browsing replicas of archaic Ninurtine maps. Though little more than a curiosity in the age of space flight, something about the delicate calligraphy and flowing lines enchanted Dyrma-Thal. Taking a roll of synth-parchment in his hands, he stepped back to catch the colors in the sunlight. Without warning, there was a bump against his back, and when he looked down he beheld a black-haired droccen girl struggling to regain her feet. A gasp resembling a raptor's cry escaped his throat, and he scrambled to return the map before dropping to his knees.

“I'm so sorry miss, I didn't see you there! Are you alright?”
    "Oof." A startled grunt escaped Mika Ren's lips as she landed gracelessly on the ground and immediately got so entangled in her hooded cloak that she couldn't seem to regain her feet. She subsided in her struggles as the Vilari knelt down in front of her and managed not to glare at him.

"Yeah, I'm alright. My name is Mika Ren. Wanna help me up?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Antich nodded his head in approval, taking the small circular lightweight black and silver badge with delicate fingers, and as he pulled it back peered at the young Droccen Princess through the void in its center. He never broke eye contact with the young girl, his intense stare as cloudy as the quasars and asteroid storms of his home, and he finally flipped the badge in his hand to break the staredown. Turning to face Sai he held the badge back down for Mika Ren and addressed the Empress.

"Your daughter is most impressive. I haven't met many younglings as gifted and shrewd as her. She is touched by the Source of that I have no doubt. With time and proper application she would be a legend."
    Mika Ren took the badge back and regarded it with no little confusion within her hand as the Warden and her mother discussed her.

"Gifted? The Source?" Sai looked bewildered by the accusation.

"You mean like you...?" Her understanding of The Source was rather dim, though she knew the Wardens drew their powers from it. She looked to her daughter who still stared at the badge.

"The Princess is due to study in her father's homeland these next few years. Perhaps after then we can revisit the possibility of her apprenticeship on Hearth." If Hearth still exists. If any of us do. A sharp pang of fear pierced her heart at the thought. Mika Ren finally looked up at Master Antich.

"I know you'll survive the upcoming battle." You just have to.
    #Notallinfluencers

19. - Top - End - #79

Spoiler: Firelord encounter
    Show
    What was good in life?

To fight, to drink, to smash the faces of people you despised, and hear the lamentations of chickens about to be eaten. That was all he needed. The Fire Lord had lost track of his charge, that minx from Cricalores was too much for the boy, Antich, and he pawned her off to Vix-Tal like he was some cub sitter. He wasn’t sure when exactly the Goda had wandered off but he was sure she was fine. She was a Flame Hunter afterall, one of the greatest mercenaries in the galaxy, and it was more likely she would end up being in trouble for hurting someone than the other way around. Descending on a particularly massive buffet display the Fire Lord began to tear into it, stopping for only a second to stare down with void like eyes that froze blood in mens veins the poor attendant assigned to tell him “only take one”, and soon began to work his way across the table. Perhaps he would engage in some of this hammer throwing later. It didn’t seem like any unholy or evil kidnapping or slavery was going on here and so the Fire Lord was more than happy to just relax and enjoy himself.

He had spent so much time aboard The Squall with Constantine, battling the Same, and preparing for war that he relished these embers of the care free wandering life he held as a normal Master of Flame. The Celenian man was a great companion and a wise confidante but he wasn’t one for gluttony, spontaneity, and bellicose whimsy. He also was technically the captain of the ship and so the Fire Lord chaffed under such a relation of even the most pedantic subservience. Here he was fully free. He could take whatever he could wrap his claws around and devour it wholly. He reached down to grab a glob of spicy chicken and absent mindedly let his mind wander amongst the lilting poetry in the distance, and stopped his eating at the strange smell in his claws. He looked down and saw an incredibly rough and muscular hand instead of the delicious chicken he desired and his snow white feathers rustled instantly.

”Watch where you put your hands!” He growled as his eyes followed up the long sculpted forearms leading to biceps like baby heads mashed together and finally settled on the face of SPACE KING ”You! Solar Paramount SPACE KING EXEMPLAR! I was here first!”

Today was not the day, slam poetry to the left, elitist horse meat talk to the right, SPACE KING had not seen such manure in a while. Clearly SPACE KING had one of two choices, he could surrender his chance to to get the greasiest spicy wings in the galaxy and begin paying attention to his adviser. Or...big or here, he could confront his ally, rival, peer and risk certain death and humiliation? Honestly the choice seemed clear.

Swiping the firelords hand away from the precious SPACE CHICKEN he barked. GET your claws off me you damn dirty eradicator lover. I claim this SPACE chicken for a higher power... MYSELF! So get lost before I give you the KNIGHTS ELBOW.
    Last edited by Lleban; 2019-11-15 at 11:48 PM.
    Beautiful Avatar thanks to Gengy

Hangs out on the World building forums

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Spoiler: The gift that keeps on giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving some more
    Show
    Spoiler: Metric tons of giving
    Show
    Spoiler: Keep going
    Show
    Spoiler: Suprise
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Barbarian in the Playground

The ship that arrives above Martu, the Memories Of What Could Have Been is...small, for a Rhoshan ship. Ships of the Federated Churches tended to be bulky, irregularly shaped, and often bore more resemblance to a quilt made of old shirts than to a purpose-built vessel intended to traverse the long void between star systems. And while the boxy, ugly looking craft now landing not merely by, but in the park's lake certainly matched all of those descriptors, it was also far too small in appearance to hold the necessary materials for construction of a pavilion.

A hatch in the side of the vessel opens nonetheless; water immediately begins flooding into the bay, but after a few moments, the hatch is entirely open, and perhaps a dozen of the large-scaled Rass swim out, in front of what appeared to be an inflatable boat. Aboard the craft were several non-Rhoshans; three short-furred, squat, large-eared aliens that the Churches knew called themselves the Keppi, dressed in glossy dark fabrics that allowed the numerous gemstones they wore to stand out all the more, glancing at each other and occasionally stifling what was likely laughter; a legless, long-haired alien wearing a respirator attached to their beak, fidgeting and looking around nervously, and a pair of humans, one a pale, tattooed woman with long braided hair, half-crimson, half-gold, wearing a mixture of furs, leather, and gold-trimmed armor an experienced eye would be able to tell was made from a ship's armor plating, the other a clean-shaven male bearing a distinctly different style of tattoo, with a dark complexion and brilliant green eyes, dressed in an old but well-maintained uniform that a well-versed eye would be able to tell was in the style of the Sanctified, before their most recent Fall. The man was very clearly trying to present a front of imperious disinterest, while the woman made remarks about their surroundings, chuckling and smiling with a predatory glint in her eye and a hand on the dagger at her waist.

While they approached the shore, several more holes were opened in the ship, and dozens of Rass began to dive into the water. Others began to climb over the ship, attaching cables and climbing pre-made handholds as they vacated the interior. From the hatch that the boat had vacated, two large mechanized vehicles unfolded themselves, long flexible limbs carrying them effortlessly through the water, then above it as they turned back towards the ship. The reconfiguration of the ship from space-worthy to pavilion would take a few hours, but when it was done, the Rhoshan pavilion would be surprisingly spacious, with comfortably large rooms lit by a variety of sources, most lightwires along the walls, separated by tapestries and cloth to provide privacy and separation so as to make the best use of the available materials for flooring and structural support. It was divided into multiple tiers, several underwater with transparent walls to allow demonstration of Rhoshan cultural traditions normally inaccessible to individuals lacking aquatic traits. There was a large variety of rooms, from those dedicated to various Revered Ones and displaying facets of Rhoshan culture and traditions those Revered Ones interests coincided with, to rooms in which the culture and history of each of the Federation's non-Mrosan systems could be presented by a native of those self-same places. Other rooms were sponsored by various churches, who used the opportunity as both a way to show off their theology as well as the niceties and symbols of Federation life.

Several of the Rass broke off and began to swim back across the lake, to afford themselves a more comfortable journey to visit other Pavilions, while the rest, including the God-Speaker remained on land, accompanying their non-Rhoshan companions to tour the grounds. A courier broke off, however, to request that the poetry judges make their way to the Rhoshan pavilion should they have time, as present there was one who wanted to participate in the competition, but who could not move from their location. Should they arrive, they would be taken to a room that seemed to contain a reactor core. There, the judges would be treated to a recitation of the following poem, whereupon the environmental controls themselves seemed to subtly shift, despite the relatively open design.

" >>>
    ....Singing
    ........ the Land below yet churns
    in the Heart where hearts are crushed
    .... The air bright,
    .............................. my mind burns

.... Dancing
    ........ the Void above is still.
    ....................................On a
    ...........................................fit
    .................................................of
    .................................................. .passing
    .................................................. .............passions
    .................................................. .............................do I ride
    .................................................. ..............................................into darkness
    .................................................. .................................................. .......................cold enough
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............to kill

....Beaming
    ........the Sky around is shorn
    Tumbling...away....as.....far......off........minds..........in............wonder
    .................................................. ..........................breathe..........frozen
    .......................... and freezing, I fall..................................................light
    .................................................. .................................................Heedless
    .................................................. .................................................. ....of
    .................................................. .........................................what
    .................................................. ......................reckless
    .................................................. .....joy
    ................................ has
    ..borne.
    <<<”

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    All Rass characters
    Khaesilya of Red Steel, Queen of the Red Steel Defilers, Representative of the Profaned
    Candidus Consulyst, Representative of the Sanctified Remnants, Silver Caste
    Tari, Tepu, and Param, Keppi Representatives of Evergleam, Bloomdepths, and Stonethorn
    Cold-Storm-Rider, Void Speaker for the Sunfolk of Dae, Sun Speaker
    Skrata Atarks, Njeamtoire of the Sun Cult, Representative of the Holy Daean Ascendancy
    Living Reliquary Grace-Which-Is-Beauty's-Sustenance, Delegation Security Chief, Ancient Automata
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Vix-Tal
    Show
    "Solitude is a cruel mistress my friend. She gives sweet whispers and freezes your heart, fills you with dreams ripped from reality, and throws you under when a giant Hearthling smashes your face in." He roared in laughter "It doesn't fit me right. Now a company of warriors? People who can handle my power? Now that I can burn in." He began to playfully kindle sparks inbetween his talons as he spoke, motes of light dancing through the air, and fading as soon as they left his grasp. "The Boy thinks this attack is somehow our fault. Like we haven't done enough for the galaxy. Maybe he could benefit from some of your Speaker's politic. Not that I'd want it!"

He ceased his pyrotechnics and looked wistfully to the sun above.

"You would feel more than shame if you had been at Cricalores. Or Taurina II. I've fought more battles than I can remember. But nothing like the Same. Nothing at all. At first it was pleasurable, every fight is, swarms of enemies I can rip or tear into at will, and a field of exploding lights painting a mosaic of fire. Beautiful. But they take no prisoner, hold no debate, and seek no quarter. They are Death without Glory, Fire without Heat, Life without Meaning. The Rothuun have fought excitedly beside me before on Cricalores and we crushed the Same once with ease. Now we stand with forces from acoss the galaxy, but the Rothuun leadership is under a faulty hand, and I wonder what the future holds."

The Fleet-Master's grip tightened as Vix-Tal recounted tales of the Same. There was no shortage of intelligence reports flooding the Star League on their enemy's capabilities, but so far none of their forces had fought them directly. In many ways, the ancient drones remained a mystery, one that troubled Sildyr-Vos in the dark hours of the night. But the Firelord had no need of such thoughts, and so he put on a brave face.

"Take heart, my friend. Your peoples' strength has not yet failed, and for that you are owed a debt by all of Axiom. Even now, forces are moving across the galaxy to strike a decisive blow, and rid us of this scourge forever."

Mika Ren
    Show
    "Oof." A startled grunt escaped Mika Ren's lips as she landed gracelessly on the ground and immediately got so entangled in her hooded cloak that she couldn't seem to regain her feet. She subsided in her struggles as the Vilari knelt down in front of her and managed not to glare at him.

"Yeah, I'm alright. My name is Mika Ren. Wanna help me up?"

A mortified Dyrma-Thal immediately reached out his hand, lifting the young woman to her feet with surprising ease. Something about her name niggled at the back of his mind, but he shoved such thoughts aside.

“Of course, of course. My apologies again, Miss Ren. Adjutant Dyrma-Thal, at your service.”

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

A courier clothed in red and black rushed in to give Mitzi a slip of paper. Reading it, she made another announcement - "One military unit in exchange for Lot 10!" and sent the courier off to update Ty-Rone of this new bid.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Mika Ren
    Show

A mortified Dyrma-Thal immediately reached out his hand, lifting the young woman to her feet with surprising ease. Something about her name niggled at the back of his mind, but he shoved such thoughts aside.

“Of course, of course. My apologies again, Miss Ren. Adjutant Dyrma-Thal, at your service.”
    "Dyrma-Thal?" Mika Ren glanced at the Vilari with some surprise as she vigorously dusted herself off.

"Wasn't it you who saved my Aunt from the slavers on Zara?"
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2019-11-16 at 09:56 PM.
    #Notallinfluencers

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

See what our excess has wrought

It had only been a couple of drinks, or more, Chip's memory of the past hour was a bit fuzzy, but the one thing he did know was that he was hungry. This would explain why he and the beer king had snuck into one of the food shacks with a Lopurna woman aiming an improvised spraycan flamethrower at him.

Well, maybe it was the Klik Beetle in his hand. The bug was bigger than the Grymlan's hand with a glossy black exoskeleton and evil looking mandibles, they were typically used as a protein additive for Grymlan cuisine but needed to be fresh for the best taste. Many eateries would keep a small nest in their back room to deal with scraps as an added bonus. Chip listed to the side as he tried to place the creature on top of a mound of vegetables, meat and sauces sitting upon a small bun; in one of the failed attempts the beetle had latched onto a pickled groundfruit with its mandibles giving it the appearance that it had large bumpy purple horn. "yesh-yesh..." he mumbled as he tried to keep the beetle's flailing legs from upsetting the rest of the sandwich, "Mega-Ultish shandwish need-need meat-crusch."

"Why does it keep pointing that thing at me!?" The lopurna yelled, threatening to ignite both insect and Grymlan with her can of cleaning spray. Why did these things have to happen on her shift?

"Becaush Schienchs!" Chip slurred as he plopped the insect ontop of the sandwich, capping it with the upper bun. "Tashty tashty schienchs."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Lots 1 through 5 have been sold! Conversion rights of these Learning Centers is given to the Galactic Droccen Imperium!" Mitzi announced and the others began collapsing their parts of the pavilion. "At least the One is similar to most of our philosophies already."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Forgive me, Lyrae. I am happy to be relieved of my ignorance." Sai gave the other woman a conciliatory smile, hoping she hadn't caused any offense.

"How many Luminaries do you know of? If it isn't impertinent to ask."
    "Two, at the moment," Lyrae says, "Myself and Proxos. We intend to begin searching in earnest shortly, though the advance of the Same has stalled that effort some."

Lyrae

The suspicion of the Lyraens was understandable. Sensible, even. However,the distrust in their eyes only added to Ren-Kulto's burden. The smile that answered Lyrae's was a sad one, and he raised his hand with measured care.

"Indeed it has. Though not so long, I wager, for one born of the stars."

He paused, regarding Lyrae's new body. No, more than that - the new Lyrae.

"I mourn the passing of the life that was, that shepherded you to our first meeting. Yet as dawn follows after night, so too do we rejoice at your rebirth. We hope that you have not suffered overmuch in the aftermath, and that your people prosper in defiance of tragedy? Little news reaches the Sodality of Lyraen space. A sad change from the days when our people stood side by side, explorers on the frontier of this new age."
    Lyrae sighs heavily. "I feel the loss of those I could trust all too keenly, especially now that I cannot trust even my own children." Her face darkens, as does the light in the room. "Suffered?" she repeats, and edge of bitterness, "I have not suffered. But I can promise you, those that stole Rii's life, those that left me powerless to do anything as I felt her slip farther and farther away from me, into the blackness of pure night, scared, lost, and alone, THEY. WILL. SUFFER."

Fiery heat washes out from her body and dark red light escapes between the fingers of her clenched fists. But, she releases them, takes a deep breath, and smiles once more. "But I am being a bad host. Cake?"

============

The Event

At long last, the time has arrived. The special surprise the Lyraens have in store begins. The lights in the house dim. Fog leaks out from under the curtain, harmless to all. Spotlights flash on, focused on the stage. The curtain rises and four figures stand before the crowd. A the front is a Lyraen, barely dressed and fur dyed into a pale white with red 'spikes' along her back and across the top of her head. To her right is a female grymlan, also dyed, but with much less care for avoiding clashing colors, and wielding a guitar like a mace. A little ways back is a male Lopurna, tuning his guitar with quiet care. And in the very back, stood up on a high stool and looking grumpy about it, is a Space-Corgi, colloquially known as a 'Good Boi'.

The Lyraen steps forward. "Helloooooo, people of Axiom!" She grins and waits for an answer, which the Lyraens in the crowd, at least, give. "Alright! Welcome to the debut of a new era of Lyraen and Grymlan culture! We come to you in the spirit of cooperation and alliance between species. But enough politics. Now, for the treat you've all been waiting for..."

She turns and swishes her tail back and forth as she returns to her place. Music begins to play and the first rock band in Lyraen history sings their debut single.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Vix-Tal
    The Fleet-Master's grip tightened as Vix-Tal recounted tales of the Same. There was no shortage of intelligence reports flooding the Star League on their enemy's capabilities, but so far none of their forces had fought them directly. In many ways, the ancient drones remained a mystery, one that troubled Sildyr-Vos in the dark hours of the night. But the Firelord had no need of such thoughts, and so he put on a brave face.

"Take heart, my friend. Your peoples' strength has not yet failed, and for that you are owed a debt by all of Axiom. Even now, forces are moving across the galaxy to strike a decisive blow, and rid us of this scourge forever."
    The Fire Lord returned the brave face in kind, brushing off the Vilari’s grip from his shoulder, and in the same motion clasping his claws around the armored hand for a flexing grip of solidarity. He walked with Sildyr-Vos for a time, trading stories of heroics or war, and invited him to listen to the stirring words that had no clear meaning in his heart but burned all the same. When presented with a venue with which to expound upon this feeling the Fire Lord took this opportunity and in the heat of the moment improvised his internal landscape from battling the Same to processed words.

”I am Flame, the air transformed
    Feel the fire in my lungs, the smoke of endless worlds
    A soul can't be cut but I feel it mangled in my hands
    Beneath the bloodstained sands a world is born and I am torn but then reborn
    The air transformed.”

Today was not the day, slam poetry to the left, elitist horse meat talk to the right, SPACE KING had not seen such manure in a while. Clearly SPACE KING had one of two choices, he could surrender his chance to to get the greasiest spicy wings in the galaxy and begin paying attention to his adviser. Or...big or here, he could confront his ally, rival, peer and risk certain death and humiliation? Honestly the choice seemed clear.

Swiping the firelords hand away from the precious SPACE CHICKEN he barked. GET your claws off me you damn dirty eradicator lover. I claim this SPACE chicken for a higher power... MYSELF! So get lost before I give you the KNIGHTS ELBOW.
    Insolence! Heresy! Chicken Theft! The Fire Lord’s gaze burned with a hate he had not felt in many galactic cycles and he opened his beak as a gout of fire erupted from it to fly overhead. “I folded that sword gifted to you with my bare claws and I’m gonna fold it right up your-“ His words were cut off as an incoming KNIGHTS ELBOW knocked him back “ARISTOCRAT! CAPTAIN FANG WAS RIGHT ABOUT YOU ELITE SNOBS! FREEDOM! CHICKEN FOR ALL!” Vix-Tal flipped the table over as the scene soon devolved into a greasy wrestling match. Pieces of chicken flying all about, pyrotechnics flaring, and onomatopoeias manifesting as the two physical titans worked through their world view differences.

Mika Ren took the badge back and regarded it with no little confusion within her hand as the Warden and her mother discussed her.

"Gifted? The Source?" Sai looked bewildered by the accusation.

"You mean like you...?" Her understanding of The Source was rather dim, though she knew the Wardens drew their powers from it. She looked to her daughter who still stared at the badge.

"The Princess is due to study in her father's homeland these next few years. Perhaps after then we can revisit the possibility of her apprenticeship on Hearth." If Hearth still exists. If any of us do. A sharp pang of fear pierced her heart at the thought. Mika Ren finally looked up at Master Antich.

"I know you'll survive the upcoming battle." You just have to.
    Guilt slithered its slimy form over the back of the Chief Deputy Warden. Who was he? Filling this child's mind with fantasies of magic and wonder. He had enough people leaning upon him and expecting him to pull off a miracle in these coming events. What would he leave for this girl except despair, unfulfilled hopes, and disappointment if Hearth fell.... No. He would survive. He would figure something out. Some angle. Some plot or ploy. The world was full of dreams and ethereal perceptions. He was a Master of Shadow now.

Dreams were his domain.

Looking into the Princesses hopeful eyes, Antich felt his own soul steeled in kind with newfound determination, and he toothily smiled with his eyes closed.

”The world is shaped by belief. I’m not sure I believe in myself right now. But if this story holds true I can believe in the you that believes in me.”
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

The three Hallwin drivers watched with some disconcertation as the Syndrome vehicle was unveiled.

"It's flying - surely that's not permitted?" said Alain.

"I don't think it's specifically disallowed, but it does seem unfair. The friction alone..." Edain muttered.

"Sure, sure," Louise said, "but that's only half the battle, remember? There's no way that thing's going to be able to run at peak efficiency for the full distance. Either they'll have to tone it down a bit, or that engine'll burn out halfway through, mark my words."

48 hours later...

She'd been right about the Syndrome racer, but that was cold comfort now. Louise climbed out of the racer groaning and struggling to stay upright. Her pit crew rushed over to hold her before she collapsed, and helped her over to where her team-mates were sitting.

"1600 laps!" Edain said. "Not bad at all. We're just waiting for confirmation on the total number completed once everyone has crossed the line..."

Droccen

A pink-skinned and confused-looking man wandered up to Mr and Mrs Alcott in the Labyrinth.

"Excuse me, you don't happen to have any idea how to get out of this place, do you? I've been wandering for ages..."

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ninurtines

"Intriguing. Say your one of neighbors steals jewels from another. Then a third neighbor attacks the thief and takes everything they own for themselves, and the first neighbor as a slave?".Grey is enjoying this. She is a philosopher, and these sorts of object lessons are not uncommon in Syndrome space.
    "That would depend on the law," the Censor-General said. "If there is an authority to which offences should be reported, and private vengeance is prohibited, then both have broken the law and both must be punished. If the law provides that the measures taken by the third neigbhour are appropriate in light of the crime committed, and that he may execute that on his own authority, then that was lawful and no further action needs to be taken. If there is no higher authority and the people we speak of are not governed by law save that which they make for themselves, the third neighbour is entitled to punish the thief in whatever manner he thinks fit, whether they seem excessive or not."

From the way some of these aliens played, it would seem they had never heard of chess, Zaphudormon thought. He was one of the better players at the Naval Academy, but he would never have considered himself near the best in the Empire, let alone the galaxy. Nevertheless, few of the competitors seemed to have an instinctive genius for the game, relying either on familiar book moves, or on imaginative but flawed play. He still awaited the opponent who could break him down.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Final results

Event Winner Score
    Cinema Untitled Film, Ninurtine Empire 10
    Debate Anonymous, the Syndrome 18
    Great Labyrinth Martin Lesonnier, Ninurtine Empire 13
    Hammer duel King-General Nozdak, Kronin 1-0
    Pavilion Competition The Union 15
    Poetry Reading Teal White-Eyes, the Syndrome 28
    Racing Alan Lauder, Edain de Sen, Louise Haméville, Ninurtine Empire 1600
    Space Chess Zaphudormon, Ninurtine Empire 18
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2019-11-30 at 07:30 PM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)