New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Fae-o-matic. You find the folklore, I make the beasty!

How about Grasshopper from the local Penobscot myth? :)

Spoiler
    Show
    Long ago, Gluskabe and his Grandmother, Woodchuck, lived alone in a small lodge near the water. One day his Grandmother said to him, "My Grandchild, it is sad that we have no tobacco." "What is tobacco, Grandmother?" Gluskabe asked.

"Ah, Grandson, tobacco is a great gift from Tabaldak, our Maker. If you are sick, you need only tobacco out in the woods, and you will find the medicine plants. Then, when you place some tobacco on the Earth, you can pluck those plants from the root and use them. Tobacco is a great comfort to the old. They can smoke it in their pipes and see all the happy days of their lives in the smoke as it lifts up. When you pray and burn tobacco, that smoke carries your prayer straight up to our Maker. Tobacco is a very good thing indeed, when it is used as Tabaldak intended."

"Then we should have tobacco," Gluskabe said. "Where can I find it, Grandmother?"

"Ah, Grandson," Grandmother Woodchuck said, "it is not easy to get tobacco. It is on a big island far out in the water. A person with great magic lives there. He raises tobacco and will not share it because of selfishness. He is very dangerous. Those who go to steal tobacco never return."

"Huunh!" Gluskabe said. "I will go and get tobacco, and I will share it with everyone."

Then Gluskabe went to the edge of the water. There was a hollow log there, and Gluskabe shaped it into a canoe. He put it in the water.

"Now," he said, "let me see if this canoe will go."

He pushed it with his foot, and the hollow log canoe shot out across the water. It went one whole look, as far as a person can see.

"This canoe is not fast enough," Gluskabe said.

The Gluskabe took a big white birch tree. He stripped off the bark and fashioned it into a canoe and put it in the water.

He pushed it with his foot, and the birch bark canoe went very swiftly over the water. It went two looks, but Gluskabe was not satisfied.

"This canoe is not fast enough," he said.

Then Gluskabe fashioned a boat with ribs of cedar and the skin of a moose. He put it into the water and pushed it out and it went three looks. But Gluskabe was not happy with the moose hide canoe.

"This canoe," he said, " is not fast enough."

Gluskabe looked around. There at the edge of the water was a great white boulder. Gluskabe turned it over, shaped it into a canoe and put it into the water.

He pushed it with his foot, and it shot out across the water with Gluskabe inside. It went four looks almost as quickly as one could think, leaving a great white wave behind it. Gluskabe was very pleased.

"Now I can go and get tobacco."

He went back into the lodge. "Grandmother," he said, "I am going now to steal tobacco. But first you must tell me the name of my enemy, the magician who will not share the tobacco."

Grandmother Woodchuck shook her head. "Who will hunt for me and bring me wood for my fire and water for my cooking if Grasshopper kills you? No, Gluskabe, I cannot tell you his name."

Gluskabe laughed. "Oleoneh, Grandmother," he said. "When I return, you will be the first one to smoke tobacco in your pipe."

Then Gluskabe climbed into his white stone canoe. He pushed off from the shore, and the canoe shot over the waves towards the island of the magician, Grasshopper. As the canoe sped along, Gluskabe sang:

Grasshopper, you are going to travel,
    Grasshopper, you are going to travel,
    You must leave your home now,
    Grasshopper, you are going to travel.

He sang his song four times. By the time he was finished, he had reached the island, and, sure enough, just as he had wished in his song, Grasshopper was not there. The cooking pot was still on the fire, and the beautiful clay pipe decorated with bright stones was beside the fire, with smoke still rising from the bowl, but the magician was nowhere to be seen. Gluskabe picked up the pipe.

"Grasshopper," he said, "you are not going to need this anymore." Then he placed the pipe in his own pouch. Inside the lodge on many racks, tobacco bundles were drying. Gluskabe took them all and placed them in his canoe. He took all of the tobacco and did not leave a single seed. All around the fields were the bones of those who had come to steal tobacco and were killed by Grasshopper. Gluskabe gathered all the bones together and then shouted.

"Get up!" Gluskabe yelled. "Your enemy is coming back." Then all of the bones came back together, and all of the people came back to life. They were very happy, even though some of them had been in such a hurry to return to life that they had gotten the wrong bones. Some of them had legs or arms that were too short or too long. The old people say that is why there are crippled people today. Gluskabe shared the tobacco among them. He mended their boats, which had been broken by Grasshopper, and sent them back to their homes.

"Tobacco is for everyone." he said. "You must always share it and give it freely or it will not do you good."

Then Gluskabe climbed back into his white stone canoe. He pushed it with his foot, and it flew back across the waves to the place where his Grandmother Woodchuck waited.

"Grandmother," he said, "I have brought tobacco. Never again will it be scarce."

Grandmother Woodchuck was very happy. She filled her pipe with the tobacco and smoked it and gave thanks to Tabaldak. She began to sing a song in praise of her Grandson, Gluskabe. But as she sang, the magician, Grasshopper, came. He came across the sky in a magical canoe.

"YOU!" he shouted in a loud and terrible voice. "You have stolen my tobacco!"

"That is not so," Gluskabe said. "It was not right for you to keep it all to yourself. Now my children and my children's children will have tobacco to enjoy." Then he rubbed Grasshopper between his hands, and Grasshopper became very small.

"Please," Grasshopper said in a small voice, "give me seeds so I can grow tobacco for myself."

But Gluskabe shook his head. "No longer can you be trusted to grow tobacco. That will be the job of my children and of my children's children. But since you were the first to grow tobacco, I will give you enough to enjoy in your lifetime. Open your mouth."

Grasshopper opened his mouth and Gluskabe filled it with tobacco. Grasshopper was pleased, but he spoke again. "Give me back my canoe so that I can fly across the sky."

But Gluskabe shook his head. "It is not right for you to have such a magical canoe. I will split the back of your coat and give you wings. Now you will be able to fly on your own, but you will no longer be able to frighten the people."

So it is that to this day tobacco is used by the children of Gluskabe and their children's children, and when they use it as Tabaldak intended, always giving it freely to others, it does them no harm. As for Grasshopper, he flies about with the wings Gluskabe gave him and chews his mouthful of tobacco which will last all his life. And he remembers the lesson taught to him by Gluskabe. If you ever pick up any grasshopper it will immediately spit out its tobacco as if to say, "See, I am willing to share."

(Spoiled for extreme length)

I want some stats on grasshopper before the incident. :)

Something maybe on the mid Challenge Rating level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lhurgyof View Post
    How about Grasshopper from the local Penobscot myth? :)

I'd like some stats on grasshopper before the incident please. :)

Something maybe on the mid Challenge Rating level.
    That doesn't really give me anything to go on. Grasshopper could well be an Expert with a few magic items and enough UMD to get it going.

The hero has more magical powers expressed than Grasshopper.

If you have other sources, that would be helpful, otherwise I'll be entirely making it up...

Quote Originally Posted by Leliel View Post
    OK, how about a tikbalang?

Could also provide a hook for the mortal characters who get turned into fey-one of the more malicious ones led them straight to his queen.
    I can certainly manage that, though i'm not seeing any abduction or transformation stuff in the source you gave me; they seem more like they spend their time throwing people off that manage to get onboard...
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

3. - Top - End - #213

Beholder

Well, he has a magic, flying canoe.

Grasshopper is known to be able to astral leap. Maybe leap through time or D-door.

And he should have spell-casting. Probably a fear aura as well.

Likes to leap without looking, low wisdom, perhaps?

And his physiology would be reminiscent of the grasshopper in James the Giant Peach. He wears a cloak, so he must be relatively well dressed.

He's larger than a regular grasshopper, about human sized or possibly larger.

He always has tobacco, and is greedy and conniving.

Umm, other than that I'm not quite sure.
    Last edited by Lhurgyof; 2011-03-17 at 07:48 AM.
    Not again...

4. - Top - End - #214
    Colossus in the Playground

Could you do an Alp? I considered brewing one up myself, but you can probably do a better job of it.

Short version from the article:
    Tiny creature, gives nightmares and sleep paralysis by sitting people's chests as they sleep.
    Can turn into mist and possess sleepers.
    Drinks blood with a long tongue.
    Can shapeshift into various small animals.
    Has a hat that turns it invisible.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Current Stack:
    1. Cuco check
    2. Tiklibang [shouldn't be too hard] Wasn't
    3. Grasshopper [Nature spirit by the looks of it, but i can't decide where to peg him; 5HD, 10HD like a True Wendigo, 15HD or 20HD like the Thunderbird and Mishbik....however you spell that...] Still not sure
    4. Alp
    5. Something oriental and shapeshiftery...

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Could you do an Alp? I considered brewing one up myself, but you can probably do a better job of it.
    High praise indeed. I'll see what I can do.
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-03-21 at 08:46 PM.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

6. - Top - End - #216

I just read the article on Wikipedia again... this sentence alone is awesome:

It may also have been expelled by the breath of the horerczy, a German demon which exhales vampiric butterflies.
    I mean really. Who comes up with these things?

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

This is why i request real world lore only; nothing you will make up tomorrow is anywhere near as messed up as the stuff our ancestors, who were better at storytelling, already did...

8. - Top - End - #218

I think I'll write up a template that allows creatures with breath weapons to exchange it for swarms of vampiric butterflies.

or something like that.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Cuco:

The Cuco is a representitive of a species of fae found in many Spanish and Portugese speaking places. The specific breed featured here is found in Brazil, primarily.

Cuco is a powerful anthromorphic aligator creature found in the shadows of towns and villages; the beast is name-dropped in many songs and stories as a silent threat to children who disobey, most notably those who refuse to go to sleep.

D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This version of Cuco is made using the Manimal [Advanced Bestiary, Green Ronin] and Bogey templates, applied to a Giant Crocodile from MM1. The creature has been arbitrarily downsized for more convenient lurking.

Size/Type: Large Humanoid [Fae, Bogey]
    Hit Dice: 7d8+28 (59 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), swim 30 ft.
    Armor Class: 16 (-2 size, +1 Dex, +7 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+21
    Attack: Bite +11 melee (2d8+12) or tail slap +11 melee (1d12+12)
    Full Attack: Bite +11 melee (1d10+12 plus Grab) or tail slap +11 melee (1d8+12)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Audible Creeping, Improved grab, Peekaboo
    Special Qualities: Dissolve, Dr 7/Natural, Hold breath, low-light vision, Shadow Meld, Tweening
    Saves: Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +3
    Abilities: Str 27, Dex 12, Con 19, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 13
    Skills: Hide +1*, Listen +5, Spot +5, Swim +16
    Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Skill Focus (Hide)
    Environment: Warm marshes
    Organization: Solitary or colony (6-11)
    Challenge Rating: 6
    Advancement: 8-14 HD (Huge)

Combat:
    Audible Creeping [Ex]: One of the most distinguishing abilities of the bogey is the ability to make itself heard and to manipulate the shadow it occupies in a minor fashion. Even while inside the Hedge, the bogey can make Intimidate checks, along with conversing verbally, should it so choose [and have the intellect]. Similarly, a bogey can use any feats that have a vocal range while merged with a shadow.

Dissolve: When slain, Cuco breaks up into cobwebs and one trophy from each of its previous victims, usually battered, bloodstained toys and pieces of child's clothing.

Peekaboo [Ex]: As a Full action, a bogey can emerge part of the way from its host shadow, execute a Standard action and return. While partially emerged, they count as having Cover and Concealment and are still unable to move freely.

Shadow Meld: Bogies have the ability to meld into shadows by touching an umbra [a non-hazy shadow] and spending a Swift action. This is identical to the ability of all fę to enter the Hedge, though they are unable to move beyond the limits of the shadow that they are within. As with a normal merge into the Hedge, the creature is very difficult to attack.

While melded with a shadow, the fę suffers two specific weaknesses because of its partial link to the stuff of shadows; while they are nigh indestructible, they can be instantly destroyed by illuminating its host so thoroughly that it casts no shadow at all. This casts the bogey adrift in the separation between the Hedge and the Real, taking many months o find its way back but not destroying it so that it will not reform. The other weakness is that it is possible to trap the creature in a mirror by causing the shadow to fall upon it. Until the mirror is broken, the bogey remains trapped. This has led to the production of mirror knifes that allow the trapping of bogeys by thrusting them into the shadow of the victim. Neither of these effects grant saves but aren't exactly easy to use.

Spell-like Abilities [Sp]: at Will: Fear (DC 15) Reduce Person (Self only), Scare (DC 13)

Tweening: Cuco is a moderately powerful fae, able to shift through Physical Boundaries, the Space Beneath and at the times of Dusk and Dawn, Shadows.

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show

This version of the Cuco is, similarly, a Manimal Nemean Bogey Crocodile. The Nemean template will be featured here, eventually...

Large Fę Nemean Bogey Humanoid 5 CR 3
    Init: + 0 , Senses: Listen + 0 , Spot +0
    Languages: Portugese
    Defence: 14 Flatfooted: 8
    Hardness: 24 + DR 10/Natural
    HD: 5d8 + 40 + 26 x2 Hp: 106
    Massive Damage: 26
    Thresholds: Green, [ 53 ] Yellow, [ 26 ] Orange, [ 10 ] Red
    Resist: a
    Fort: + 14 Reflex: + 0 Will: + 4 Psyche: 14 Tussle: 23
    Speed: 30ft Swim 60ft Space: 15 ft Reach: 15 ft

Melee: +15 Bite (6d6+16*, 19/x2, plus Improved Grab)

BAB: + 6 Grapple: + 25
    Special Actions:
    • Improved Grab [Attack roll beats Tussle; begin grapple and make first act as a free action; replaces normal attack damage]
    • Improved Pin [Swift; maintain Pin: Standard; maintain Pin and enemies who fail to break free suffer 4d6+18 damage]
    • Reduce [Standard; become medium, deal half damage with melee attacks, revert as Swift action]
    • Roar [Swift; 30ft radius that causes an increase in Fear ranking, Will DC 23/Neg]

Abilities: Str: 32/+11 Dex: 6/-2 Con: 26/+8 Int: 6/-2 Wis: 10 Cha: 4/-3
    SQ: Hold Breath x8

Feats: Improved Grapple, Improved Pin

Skills: Hide +6, Swim +23
    Special Abilities:
    Audible Creeping [Ex]: One of the most distinguishing abilities of Cuco is the ability to make itself heard and to manipulate the shadow it occupies in a minor fashion. Even while inside the Hedge, Cuco can make Intimidate and Manipulate checks, along with conversing verbally, should it so choose [and have the intellect]. Similarly, a bogey can use any feats that have a vocal range while merged with a shadow.

Dissolve: When slain, Cuco breaks up into cobwebs and one trophy from each of its previous victims, usually battered, bloodstained toys and pieces of child's clothing.

Nemean Hide [Ex]: The hide of a Nemean can be bypassed by the natural weapons of Nemeans and by Wrestling attacks.

Peekaboo [Ex]: As a Full action, Cuco can emerge part of the way from its host shadow, execute a Standard action and return. While partially emerged, they count as having Cover and Concealment and are still unable to move freely.

Shadow Meld: Cuco have the ability to meld into shadows by touching an umbra [a non-hazy shadow] and spending a Swift action. This is identical to the ability of all fę to enter the Hedge, though they are unable to move beyond the limits of the shadow that they are within. As with a normal merge into the Hedge, the creature is very difficult to attack.

While melded with a shadow, the fę suffers two specific weaknesses because of its partial link to the stuff of shadows; while they are nigh indestructible, they can be instantly destroyed by illuminating its host so thoroughly that it casts no shadow at all. This casts the bogey adrift in the separation between the Hedge and the Real, taking many months o find its way back but not destroying it so that it will not reform. The other weakness is that it is possible to trap the creature in a mirror by causing the shadow to fall upon it. Until the mirror is broken, the bogey remains trapped. This has led to the production of mirror knifes that allow the trapping of bogeys by thrusting them into the shadow of the victim. Neither of these effects grant saves but aren't exactly easy to use.

Tweening: Cuco is a moderately powerful fae, able to shift through Physical Boundaries, the Space Beneath and at the times of Dusk and Dawn, Shadows.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Lore:
    {table]DC|Lore

7|Children know that if they're bad, cuco will come and get them

12|Parents only ward Cuco off if the child is good, otherwise, all bets are off.

17|In actual fact, most parents who invoke the name of Cuco have no idea how to ward against it. They just have this half formed notion that the "fictional" creature doesn't eat sleepers

22|The reason Cuco doesn't eat sleepers is because it is a phobovore, like most bogies. They have to scare a target before eating them or they gain no benefit. As they can't scare sleepers, they leave them alone.

27|Cuco has an odd ability to home in on locations where it's name is invoked. This has a range of about 40km and functions in almost exactly the same manner as the Know Location spell. A clever hunter can use this to trap it.

32|Cuco, like a spirit, struggles to cross cold iron, meaning that the best ways to ward against the beast is to sleep on an iron bedsted.[/table]

Any material presented inside Spoilers listed as "MV Versions", along with all pictures above, are Copyright under the Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial License. All other text and game materials are free to use under the terms of the OGL and are designated Open Content.
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-11-09 at 06:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    I can certainly manage that, though i'm not seeing any abduction or transformation stuff in the source you gave me; they seem more like they spend their time throwing people off that manage to get onboard...
    Yeah, I've been partially corrupted by Changeling: the Lost.

It was "the Hedge" that threw me.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Firbolg in the Playground

Some absolute incredible stuff here. Definitely inspiration for the magic system I'm working on...

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    Some absolute incredible stuff here. Definitely inspiration for the magic system I'm working on...
    You have my thanks. Now, I bid thee support this thread for the "Your Consideration" section of the compendium.

Tikbalang:

Image by me.

The Tikbalang is a strange creature to look at, filling an "ecological niche" within the fę of the Philippines as the Puck, Pixies and Phooka do in the British Isles and Ireland. The physical form of these creatures is bizarre to say the least, standing nearly eight feet tall but being made mostly of leg, with less than two feet of their height being torso. When they squat down to rest, their knees rest above their heads. Incidentally, the head and feet of a Tikbalang are borrowed from another species; the most common kind of Tikbalang has the head and feet of a horse, though others are known.

The major pranks of these fę, for pranksters they are, are the classic leading of travellers out of their way and an incredibly annoying variation on being pixie-led, which causes the victim to return to the same arbitrary path and end up walking in circles.

D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show

Medium Humanoid [Fae]
    Hit Dice: 2d8 (9 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 40ft (8 squares), Run
    Armor Class: 14 (+2 Dex, +2 Natural), touch 12, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+1
    Attack: Hoof +1 melee (1d6, reach 10ft)
    Space/Reach: 5ft / 5ft
    Special Attacks:
    • Lead Astray [Standard; Declare a point within 30ft and a target within 60ft of it. Use Siren on the target using the greater penalty of the distance between you and point or target and point. Success draws target towards declared point. See also Round the Reekin]
    • Siren [Standard; make Manipulation check vs target within 30ft at -1 penalty per 5ft distance. Success draws target half its move towards you; target may make a Will DC 13 to stop if it encounters an obstacle.]
    <hr>
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 30ft, Dissolve, DR 2/Natural, Pass Without Trace, Round the Reekin, Tweening
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +1
    Abilities: Str: 10 Dex: 15/+2 Con: 10 Int: 15/+2 Wis: 13/+1 Cha: 14/+2
    Skills: Balance +7, Bluff +7, Jump +9, Hide +7
    Feats: Run, SirenB, Pixie-leadB
    Environment: Philippine Forests
    Organization: Solitary, Herd [2-9]
    Challenge Rating: 1
    Treasure: Usually none
    Alignment: Chaotic
    Advancement: 3-7 [Medium] or by Character class
    Level Adjustment: +1

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Medium Fę Humanoid 2 CP 2
    Init: + 3 , Senses: Listen + 1 , Observation +1
    Languages: Philippino, Spanish
    Defence: 12 Flatfooted: 10 +2 as Swift action
    Hardness: DR 2/Natural
    HD: 2d8 + 10 Hp: 19
    Massive Damage: 12
    Fort: + 3 Reflex: + 3 Will: + 2 Psyche: 15 Tussle: 12
    Speed: 40ft Space: 5 ft Reach: 5 ft

Melee:
    +1 Kick (1d6, Reach 10ft)

BAB: + 1 Grapple: +2
    Special Actions:
    • Lead Astray [Standard; Declare a point within 30ft and a target within 60ft of it. Use Siren on the target using the greater penalty of the distance between you and point or target and point. Success draws target towards declared point. See also Round the Reekin]
    • Siren [Standard; make Manipulation check vs target within 30ft at -1 penalty per 5ft distance. Success draws target half its move towards you; target may make a Will DC 13 to stop if it encounters an obstacle.]

Abilities: Str: 10 Dex: 15/+2 Con: 10 Int: 7/-2 Wis: 13/+1 Cha: 14/+2
    SQ: Dissolve, Tweening

Feats: Run, SirenB, Pixie-leadB

Skills: Balance +7, Jump +11, Hide +8, Manipulation +8
    Special Abilities:
    Dissolve: When slain, a Tikbalang explodes into a shower of leaves.

Pass Without Trace [Su]: The Tikbalang leaves no foot prints or other traces of its passage. It is not slowed by natural terrain and can move freely through difficult terrain as if it were open ground and treats very difficult terrain as normal difficult terrain.

Round the Reekin [Ex]: Those affected by the Siren or Lead Astray powers of the Tiklibang must make a DC 8 Will save in order to notice that they have gone somewhere other than where they intended and/or are now lost. Failure on this save also prevents them from realising that any manipulation has taken place.

Tweening: While not adept at entering the Hedge, Tikbalangs are able to enter and leave Physical Boundaries and the Spaces Beneath, though only at times of dusk and dawn.

Feats [OGL]:
    Spoiler
    Show
    D&D Version
    Pixie Lead [Monstrous, Social]:
    You have the ability to lead your enemies around the reikin without them realising that they are lost.
    Prerequisites: Bluff 8 ranks, Skill Focus (Bluff), Siren
    Description: You gain two benefits when using your Siren feat: Firstly, you may choose to have your siren effect emerge from any point within 30ft, drawing the target towards the point of origin.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, your target must make a Will save, DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha modifier, or fail to realise that he has been so affected and to even notice that he has changed direction or moved in a direction he did not wish to. This has no effect on the DC needed to stop in the face of an obstacle, it simply allows you to lead your dupes around in circles.

MV Version:
    Pixie Lead [Monstrous, Social]:
    You have the ability to lead your enemies around the reikin without them realising that they are lost.
    Prerequisites: Manipulation 8 ranks, Skill Focus (Manipulation), Siren
    Description: You gain two benefits when using your Siren feat: Firstly, you may choose to have your siren effect emerge from any point within Vocal range of you [usually 30ft], drawing the target towards the point of origin.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, your target must make a Will save with a DC equal to your Manipulation bonus to realise that he has been so affected and to even notice that he has changed direction or moved in a direction he did not wish to. This has no effect on the DC needed to stop in the face of an obstacle, it simply allows you to lead your dupes around in circles.

Lore:
    {table]DC|Lore:

2|The Tikbalang is a creature made up by the Spanish to help bully the Philippino locals

7|Hearing a clip clop noise in the jungles means one of two things; a Tikbalang and getting lost, or the Spanish and getting shot

12|The Tikbalang is basically a freaky Pixie-type creature from the Philippine jungles. They lead folks astray and are generally meddlesome

17|Tikbalangs seem to prefer game trails to the wildest parts of the woods, and seem to be territorial, making human paths cut through their territory surprisingly unreliable.

22|Wearing your shirt inside out will protect you from the confusing talents of the Tikbalang

27|Tikbalang are not fond of ashes; anyone casting a handful of the stuff in the direction of one gains a +5 bonus on Intimidate checks this turn.[/table]

Any material presented inside Spoilers listed as "MV Versions", along with all pictures above, are Copyright under the Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial License. All other text and game materials are free to use under the terms of the OGL and are designated Open Content.
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-11-09 at 07:01 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

I noticed you didn't really have any shapeshifting animal spirits, which are a classic spirit in Japan. They have the Tanuki, Kitsune, Mujina, Bakeneko, Tsuchigumo, and Jorugumo. In addition, Japanese Folklore has many, many other monsters, such as the Noperra-bō.

Just some things that I would love to see translated into D&D. I understand if you don't think they really fit the concept and scope of this project.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, I stated early on that I'm not doing Japanese stuff, mostly because I specifically can't use it in my games and because it doesn't fit the way I'm treating fairies.

I may actually do Kitsune at some point but that's more because I have an idea I want to try out rather than any desire for lore based verasity.

If you want Chinese, Chinese I will do. Just not Japan.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, I stated early on that I'm not doing Japanese stuff, mostly because I specifically can't use it in my games and because it doesn't fit the way I'm treating fairies.

I may actually do Kitsune at some point but that's more because I have an idea I want to try out rather than any desire for lore based verasity.

If you want Chinese, Chinese I will do. Just not Japan.
    Most of the Japanese spirits are based on Chinese ones. The word for spirit in Japanese (yokai) is written exactly the same as the Chinese (yaoguai). But they both have some interesting spirits. I will try to go look up some Chinese ones.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-03-20 at 08:35 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    Most of the Japanese spirits are based on Chinese ones. The word for spirit in Japanese (yokai) is written exactly the same as the Chinese (yaoguai). But they both have some interesting spirits. I will try to go look up some Chinese ones.
    Yes, but [and this is one of my main reasons for refusing Japanese creatures] I won't have Japanophiles who learned the details from a bad anime questioning my 2+ hours of research per critter...

I actually have a very specific setting use for Japan, however, and I really don't want to tip my hand on it before I manage to get another group together to play through it.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, but [and this is one of my main reasons for refusing Japanese creatures] I won't have Japanophiles who learned the details from a bad anime questioning my 2+ hours of research per critter...

I actually have a very specific setting use for Japan, however, and I really don't want to tip my hand on it before I manage to get another group together to play through it.
    That doesn't seem very fair to people who do want to use creatures from Japanese mythology. Also, if you play through said campaign on this forum, sign me up. Seriously, it is way too hard to find a game with Asian mythology in it, from whatever locale.

I found some Chinese yaoguai, which could be interesting.
    Pipa Jing, Zhiji Jing, Daji, and Bai Gu Jing. There are a lot of transformational themes in all of the spirits in Japan and China. Interesting.

Oooh! Hu Ji Jing are really similar to Kitsune, but are from Chinese mythology.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-03-20 at 08:39 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

I did Chinese/Japanese religion as a specialisation during my Theology and Religious Studies degree, so I could talk about this for hours but I'm not allowed [sad face].

I did actually consider running it here but then realised that the forum rules won't allow it. Religion rule. [shrug]

Most of those seem to fit my original understanding of "youguai," being something that turned demonic by getting unnaturally old. I'll have a think about that; it seems like it could warrant a subtype.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

I did Chinese/Japanese religion as a specialisation during my Theology and Religious Studies degree, so I could talk about this for hours but I'm not allowed [sad face].

I did actually consider running it here but then realised that the forum rules won't allow it. Religion rule. [shrug]
    I don't know, does mythology really count as religion? Will probably have to check with a mod about that.

Most of those seem to fit my original understanding of "youguai," being something that turned demonic by getting unnaturally old. I'll have a think about that; it seems like it could warrant a subtype.
    The Hu Ji Jing at the very least seems like it could be done.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

The RPG and plot have a lot more to do with true religion than this thread.

My game has full stattings for real world religions, a complete cosmology; the religious conditions in Japan circa 1855 being key to the story here.

Anyway, I'll add a note to myself to do something oriental and shapeshiftery for you; if you wish to converse on otherwise banned materials, we can arrange such off-site via PM

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

The RPG and plot have a lot more to do with true religion than this thread.

My game has full stattings for real world religions, a complete cosmology; the religious conditions in Japan circa 1855 being key to the story here.

Anyway, I'll add a note to myself to do something oriental and shapeshiftery for you; if you wish to converse on otherwise banned materials, we can arrange such off-site via PM
    Fascinating. Oh man, that sounds like my kind of game.

Cool! My first thoughts for most fae creatures are either Celtic/Gaelic, which you seem to already have down pat, Greek (which I myself am working on here), or Oriental. I honestly don't feel that Oriental fae get enough love, given the wide and beautiful mythologies placed around them.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Grasshopper, Spirit/Shaman:
    Grasshopper is an odd character from the Penobscot legends of Gluskabe, the first storyteller and virtually a god of sorts. Grasshopper was massively outclassed by the cultural hero, a being able to reshape reality at whim, and instantly defeated, transforming into the first grasshopper, who gave birth to the rest of the modern species…somehow…

Grasshopper, as he is here, is a mid-range spirit creature with human ancestry, roughly as powerful as a fully grown True Wendigo spirit.

A modern viewer would consider Grasshopper to resemble a horrible distorted Spiderman, with a tight mouth that falls so low on his chin, beneath his low narrow nose and hard ridged jowls, that it is barely visible. His eyes are enormous saucer shaped things that push upwards around the sides of his temples but are still distinctly human in their design, if sealed beneath a milky while membrane that makes them look flat. Possessing a secondary pair of wiry arms that emerge from a secondary set of warped looking shoulders mounted at the lowest parts of his rib cage, along with backwards facing hips and overlong legs that mount his immense and powerful legs. Between these alien features, he is able to leap great distances and cast far more curses and transmutations than other mages might be able.

Grasshopper's spellcasting is worthy of note. His ability to curse seems to have come from a mixture of his fę and human natures, while he draws full on witchcraft from some other source, possibly his island. His affection for tobacco is assumed, by those who think about things too much, to be key to a method of binding the souls of the dead to his island.

D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Large Humanoid (Fae)
    Hit Dice: 10d8 + 40 (85 hp)
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 30ft (6 squares), Jump 90ft
    Armor Class: 28 (+6 Armour, +4 Dexterity, -1 Size, +4 Natural Armour, +5 Deflection), touch, flat-footed
    Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+15
    Attack: Slam +10 (2d6+4)
    Full Attack: 2 Slams +10 (2d6+4)
    Space/Reach: 10ft/5ft
    Special Attacks: Spell Like Abilities
    Special Qualities:
    Saves: Fort +, Ref +, Will +
    Abilities: Str: 18/+4 Dex: 19/+4 Con: 18/+4 Int: 20/+5 Wis: 21/+5 Cha: 18/+4
    Skills: Appraise +18, Bluff +17, Intimidate +17, Jump +47, Knowledge (Arcana) +18, Knowledge (Nature) +18, Listen +18, Spot +18, Survival +18, Swim +17
    Feats: Spell Focus (Enchantment), Unsettling Enchantment
    Environment: Island off the coast of Maine
    Organization: Unique
    Challenge Rating: 10
    Treasure: Canoe plus Standard
    Alignment: Chaotic (Evil)

Combat:
    Beguiler Spells: 7/7/7/6/5 Save DC 14 + Spell Level, +1 Enchantment

Dissolve: Because of his human heritage, Grasshopper doesn't break apart when slain. Instead, his essence transfer to a regular grasshopper after a period of one day per yard separating it from his corpse.

Greater Quickness [Ex]: Because of his extra pair of arms, Grasshopper is more than able to act faster than a normal human. He counts as having an additional Standard action per round, which he usually, but not definitely, uses to initiate one of his spell-powers.

Sky Canoe: Grasshopper is famous for his canoe, which can fly constantly with a speed of 300ft per round with a manoeuvrability of Clumsy and the Hover feat.

Spell-like Abilities: At Will: Downpour, Eyebite [DC 21], Gust of Wind, Hold Person [DC 17], Lesser Confusion [DC 16], Waves of Exaustion [DC 21]

Tweening: Grasshopper is a fairly capable fairy when it comes down to it. He is able to enter or leave the Hedge via Physical Boundaries, The Space Beneath and Shadows. During times of dusk and dawn, he is also able to move through Abstract Boundaries.

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Large Fę Humanoid 10 CP 10
    Init: + 4 , Senses: Listen + 5 , Observation + 22
    Languages: Penobscot
    Defence: 24 Flatfooted: 10
    Hardness: DR 10/Natural
    HD: 10d8 + 40 + 18 Hp: 103
    Massive Damage: 18
    Thresholds: Green, [ 51 ] Yellow, [ 25 ] Orange, [ 10 ] Red
    Fort: + 11 Reflex: + 4 Will: + 7 Psyche: 40 Tussle: 25
    Speed: 30ft Space: 5 ft Reach: 5 ft

Melee: +10/+10 Fists (2d6+4)

BAB: + 7 Grapple: +15
    Special Actions:
    • Blasting Leap [Move; Grasshopper leaps up to 40ft into the air, travelling up to 90ft and landing hard. Landing counts as a Swooping charge, while taking off provokes attacks of opportunity and kicks up a cloud of dust [treat as smoke].]
    • Curses [Standard; focused Gaze, 30ft, lay one of the following effects on target: 2d10 damage [Will 18], Ignite Fire 1d6 [Fort 18], Ignite Fire 2d6 [Fort 19], Ignite 4d6 [Fort 22], 2d6 and Stun [Will 21], Daze [Will 19], -2 on rolls for 1 minute [Will 18]]
    • Downpour [Standard; 200ft radius rainstorm around the caster. -4 penalty to ranged attacks and Observation checks in area. 5 minutes in, the ground turns to mud. Dispels smoke.]
    • Windstorm [Standard; 200ft radius windstorm around caster. -4 penalty to ranged attacks and Listen checks in area. Medium creatures cannot move against the winds; direction may be changed as a Swift action.]

Abilities: Str: 18/+4 Dex: 10/- Con: 18/+4 Int: 20/+5 Wis: 21/+5 Cha: 18/+4

Feats: Cultist, Fęcraft, Spell Focus (Enchantment), Spell Focus (Illusion), Unsettling Enchantment [Targets of Curses or Enchantment genre spells take a -2 penalty to attacks and defence for 1 round]

Skills: Athletics +21, Intimidate +21, Knowledge (Arcana) +22, Knowledge (Nature) +22, Observation +22, Witchcraft +22

Possessions: Fęcraft Canoe
    Special Abilities:

Dissolve: Because of his human heritage, Grasshopper doesn't break apart when slain. Instead, his essence transfer to a regular grasshopper after a period of one day per yard separating it from his corpse.

Greater Quickness [Ex]: Because of his extra pair of arms, Grasshopper is more than able to act faster than a normal human. He counts as having an additional Standard action per round, which he usually, but not definitely, uses to initiate one of his spell-powers.

Sky Canoe: Grasshopper is famous for his canoe, which can fly constantly with a speed of 300ft per round with a manoeuvrability of Clumsy and the Hover feat.

Tweening: Grasshopper is a fairly capable fairy when it comes down to it. He is able to enter or leave the Hedge via Physical Boundaries, The Space Beneath and Shadows. During times of dusk and dawn, he is also able to move through Abstract Boundaries.

Witchcraft [Sp]: Grasshopper is a capable witch, though where his powers are coming from is unclear at best. There is an occasional supposition that his obsession with tobacco allowed him to bind the spirits of those he slew to his island, via some form of binding ritual, and then draw power from them. Whatever the case may be, his Patron knows pretty much every Illusion spell imaginable, along with a number of very harrowing Enchantments from the Witchcraft pool of spells. It has 43 points of Ęther when full, though it has never been seen to refresh.

Lore to come

Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-11-09 at 06:37 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233

Beholder

Grasshopper, Spirit/Shaman:
    Grasshopper is an odd character from the Penobscot legends of Gluskabe, the first storyteller and virtually a god of sorts. Grasshopper was massively outclassed by the cultural hero, a being able to reshape reality at whim, and instantly defeated, transforming into the first grasshopper, who gave birth to the rest of the modern species…somehow…

Grasshopper, as he is here, is a mid-range spirit creature with human ancestry, roughly as powerful as a fully grown True Wendigo spirit.

A modern viewer would consider Grasshopper to resemble a horrible distorted Spiderman, with a tight mouth that falls so low on his chin, beneath his low narrow nose and hard ridged jowls, that it is barely visible. His eyes are enormous saucer shaped things that push upwards around the sides of his temples but are still distinctly human in their design, if sealed beneath a milky while membrane that makes them look flat. Possessing a secondary pair of wiry arms that emerge from a secondary set of warped looking shoulders mounted at the lowest parts of his rib cage, along with backwards facing hips and overlong legs that mount his immense and powerful legs. Between these alien features, he is able to leap great distances and cast far more curses and transmutations than other mages might be able.

Grasshopper's spellcasting is worthy of note. His ability to curse seems to have come from a mixture of his fę and human natures, while he draws full on witchcraft from some other source, possibly his island. His affection for tobacco is assumed, by those who think about things too much, to be key to a method of binding the souls of the dead to his island.

D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Large Humanoid (Fae)
    Hit Dice: 10d8 + 40 (85 hp)
    Initiative: +0
    Speed: 30ft (6 squares), Jump 90ft
    Armor Class: 28 (+6 Armour, +4 Dexterity, -1 Size, +4 Natural Armour, +5 Deflection), touch, flat-footed
    Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+15
    Attack: Slam +10 (2d6+4)
    Full Attack: 2 Slams +10 (2d6+4)
    Space/Reach: 10ft/5ft
    Special Attacks: Spell Like Abilities
    Special Qualities:
    Saves: Fort +, Ref +, Will +
    Abilities: Str: 18/+4 Dex: 19/+4 Con: 18/+4 Int: 20/+5 Wis: 21/+5 Cha: 18/+4
    Skills: Appraise +18, Bluff +17, Intimidate +17, Jump +47, Knowledge (Arcana) +18, Knowledge (Nature) +18, Listen +18, Spot +18, Survival +18, Swim +17
    Feats: Spell Focus (Enchantment), Unsettling Enchantment
    Environment: Island off the coast of Maine
    Organization: Unique
    Challenge Rating: 10
    Treasure: Canoe plus Standard
    Alignment: Chaotic (Evil)

Combat:
    Beguiler Spells: 7/7/7/6/5 Save DC 14 + Spell Level, +1 Enchantment

Spell-like Abilities: At Will: Downpour, Eyebite [DC 21], Gust of Wind, Hold Person [DC 17], Lesser Confusion [DC 16], Waves of Exaustion [DC 21]

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Large Fę Humanoid 10 CP 10
    Init: + 4 , Senses: Listen + 5 , Observation + 22
    Languages: Penobscot <hr>
    Defence: 24 Flatfooted: 10
    Hardness: DR 10/Natural
    HD: 10d8 + 40 + 18 Hp: 103
    Massive Damage: 18
    Thresholds: Green, [ 51 ] Yellow, [ 25 ] Orange, [ 10 ] Red
    Fort: + 11 Reflex: + 4 Will: + 7 Psyche: 40 Tussle: 25<hr>
    Speed: 30ft Space: 5 ft Reach: 5 ft

Melee: +10/+10 Fists (2d6+4)

BAB: + 7 Grapple: +15
    Special Actions:
    • Blasting Leap [Move; Grasshopper leaps up to 40ft into the air, travelling up to 90ft and landing hard. Landing counts as a Swooping charge, while taking off provokes attacks of opportunity and kicks up a cloud of dust [treat as smoke].]
    • Curses [Standard; focused Gaze, 30ft, lay one of the following effects on target: 2d10 damage [Will 18], Ignite Fire 1d6 [Fort 18], Ignite Fire 2d6 [Fort 19], Ignite 4d6 [Fort 22], 2d6 and Stun [Will 21], Daze [Will 19], -2 on rolls for 1 minute [Will 18]]
    • Downpour [Standard; 200ft radius rainstorm around the caster. -4 penalty to ranged attacks and Observation checks in area. 5 minutes in, the ground turns to mud. Dispels smoke.]
    • Windstorm [Standard; 200ft radius windstorm around caster. -4 penalty to ranged attacks and Listen checks in area. Medium creatures cannot move against the winds; direction may be changed as a Swift action.]

<hr>
    Abilities: Str: 18/+4 Dex: 10/- Con: 18/+4 Int: 20/+5 Wis: 21/+5 Cha: 18/+4

Feats: Cultist, Fęcraft, Spell Focus (Enchantment), Spell Focus (Illusion), Unsettling Enchantment [Targets of Curses or Enchantment genre spells take a -2 penalty to attacks and defence for 1 round]

Skills: Athletics +21, Intimidate +21, Knowledge (Arcana) +22, Knowledge (Nature) +22, Observation +22, Witchcraft +22

Possessions: Fęcraft Canoe<hr>
    Special Abilities:

Witchcraft [Sp]: Grasshopper is a capable witch, though where his powers are coming from is unclear at best. There is an occasional supposition that his obsession with tobacco allowed him to bind the spirits of those he slew to his island, via some form of binding ritual, and then draw power from them. Whatever the case may be, his Patron knows pretty much every Illusion spell imaginable, along with a number of very harrowing Enchantments from the Witchcraft pool of spells. It has 43 points of Ęther when full, though it has never been seen to refresh.

Lore to come

Wow, nice job. :)

Thank you very much.
    Not again...

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

You're welcome, sir.

25. - Top - End - #235

Quote Originally Posted by Leliel View Post
    OK, how about a tikbalang?

Could also provide a hook for the mortal characters who get turned into fey-one of the more malicious ones led them straight to his queen.
    The Tikbalang's abilities are kind of nebulously defined, though, since they're chimerical tricksters. However Filipino engkanto in general share a lot of characteristics with the fae...
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Wonderful work on the Cuco and the Tikbalang, Mullet! It warms the cockles of my heart to see some Advanced Bestiary templates, too.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    Fascinating. Oh man, that sounds like my kind of game.
    Ibid.

So, Mulletmanalive, will you do the Chinese ones that Unsorta requested?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you, Tygre! You are too kind. Anvanced Bestiary is great, if time consuming. Wish one of those monster advancer programs was simple enough for me to strip it and add in a bunch more templates...

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Ibid.

So, Mulletmanalive, will you do the Chinese ones that Unsorta requested?
    ibid?

That is the intention, yes, though the literary ones are always more tricky than thhinks that appear in multiple sources. I'll sort out the fox thing, possibly a version of Kitsune and see about the Bai Gu Jing because i have access to Journey to the West. Timescale is another issue entirely.
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-03-22 at 05:08 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239

PirateGuy

No love for Australia. Not even a Bunyip or a Yowie?
    Last edited by Mangles; 2011-03-22 at 05:11 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Edit that to have sources, preferably more than just wikipedia [if you can find text from an atual Aboriginal legend, it'll go faster] and i'm sure something can be arranged.

I included the Court of Stars in preparation for this moment.

Edit:
    Right, because I actually feel a little bad about the way Unosarta felt about the policy, I'm going to officially repeal the ban on Japanese critters. I will, however, make no more than one of these creatures for every two others, before i get flooded with requests.

The Stack at the moment:
    1. Alp
    2. Kitsune
    3. Bunyip
    4. Hu Ji Jing assuming i can manage to make it sufficiently different to the former critter
    5. Yowie
    6. Tsuchigumo
    7. Chenoo, apparently

As i've said before, just to restate, primary sources, i.e. actual stories and legends are the most useful sources; if you can find at least one in addition to the Wikipedia, it makes things a lot quicker as i don't have to search myself...
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-03-23 at 12:33 PM.