New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Fae-o-matic. You find the folklore, I make the beasty!

... Small? They stand at 6 foot! I get that that's only because of their limbs and not due to their torso, but even so, shouldn't they be medium? (And since they don't always walk on all fours (or I read that wrong) shouldn't they have a longer reach?)

Very, very cool regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

In all honest, it was a toss up between using a small creature with a powerful build analogue or a medium creature with an "i'm small" ability. This seemed the simpler way of doing it as it overwrote fewer abilities.

As their limbs are only, what, 5ft in length, it didn't seem to be worth giving them a longer reach. Anyone else have any oppinion?
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

3. - Top - End - #273
    Colossus in the Playground

They could get Inhuman Reach (I think that was the name) as a bonus feat.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

I'mm sure they'd happily stand a simple natural reach of 10ft if that is deemed necessary. A little more poweful in MV admittedly, but i'm sure it could stand...

I've actually finished the chenoo but it's rather late here... stupid internet connection...
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Chenoo:
    In the bitter cold of the north, a much feared creature is known to the tribes of the area. In the Wabanaki tribes of New England, it is known as Chenoo, Kiwakwa or Giwakwa. These creatures are notably similar to the Wendigo creature from further west, though in this case, their soul was not gnawed upon by hunger and guilt so much as fear and cold. It is thus far undetermined whether the "True Wendigo" spirit has anything to do with their creation or if the phenomena are simply very similar.

A Chenoo is a lank, lumbering creature of no great dexterity but impressive and fearsome strength; the whole of its body is covered in matted, dark hair that is usually choked with a sticky mess of fine, pressed snow. The face is similar to that of a human or baboon with no lips, consumed in hunger, with dark, beady eyes and a vicious temperament. Amongst the most dangerous articles of a chenoo is its size; the beast gets actively larger the more you hurt it and thus the angrier it gets. Add to that the deadly, chilling effects of its howl and its aura of cold and you have a serious fight on your hands to survive, let along kill it successfully.
    D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Large Undead (Fae)
    Hit Dice: 20d12 + 160 (290 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 40 ft (8 squares)
    Armor Class: 30 (-1 Size, +1 Dexterity, +12 Natural, +8 Deflection), touch 10, flat-footed 21
    Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+22
    Attack: Claw +17 melee (1d8+8 plus 2d6 Cold)
    Full Attack: 2 Claws +17 melee (1d8+8 plus 2d6 Cold plus Rend) and Bite +12 melee (2d6+4 plus 2d6 Cold)
    Space/Reach: 10ft/10ft
    Special Attacks: Rend (2d6+12), Scream
    Special Qualities: Angry Giant, Dissolve, DR 10/Natural, Fast Healing 10, Numbing Aura [20ft], Tweening, Undead Traits
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +8
    Abilities: Str: 26/+8 Dex: 12/+1 Con: - Int: 4/-3 Wis: 14/+2 Cha: 26/+8
    Skills: Hide +20
    Feats: Awesome Blow, Cleave, Fling Enemy*, Hurl Rock*, Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack, Track * Found in Races of Stone
    Environment: Frostfell
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 12
    Treasure: Incidental
    Alignment: Always Chaotic, Usually Evil
    Advancement: 21+ HD (Large)

Chenoo are melee brutes: after stalking their target and wearying them a little, they leap out and engage in ruthless combat.

Combat
    Angry Giant [Ex]: As you hurt a chenoo, it gets bigger and meaner; on the plus side, its attention span drops pretty dramatically too. When reduced to 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 hp, the Chenoo grows by one size category and gains +40 temporary hp. If out of combat for more than an hour, the chenoo eventually calms down and shrinks again. The mini-blocks below show the appropriate adjustments:

Huge Form [@ 217 hp]:
    Hp: +40 temporary hp
    Armor Class: 29 (-2 Size, +1 Dexterity, +12 Natural, +8 Deflection), touch 9, flat-footed 28
    Grapple: +30
    Attack: Claw +20 melee (2d6+12 plus 2d6 Cold)
    Full Attack: 2 Claws +20 melee (2d6+12 plus 2d6 Cold plus Rend) and Bite +15 melee (3d6+6 plus 2d6 Cold)
    Abilities: Str: 34/+12
    Special Attacks: Rend (2d6+18)

Gargantuan Form [@ 145 hp]:
    Armor Class: 27 (-4 Size, +1 Dexterity, +12 Natural, +8 Deflection), touch 7, flat-footed 26
    Grapple: +38
    Attack: Claw +22 melee (3d6+16 plus 2d6 Cold)
    Full Attack: 2 Claws +22 melee (3d6+16 plus 2d6 Cold plus Rend) and Bite +17 melee (4d6+6 plus 2d6 Cold)
    Abilities: Str: 42/+16
    Special Attacks: Rend (3d6+24)

Colossal Form [@ 72 hp]:
    Armor Class: 23 (-8 Size, +1 Dexterity, +12 Natural, +8 Deflection), touch 3, flat-footed 22
    Grapple: +46
    Attack: Claw +22 melee (4d6+20 plus 2d6 Cold)
    Full Attack: 2 Claws +22 melee (4d6+20 plus 2d6 Cold plus Rend) and Bite +17 melee (6d6+10 plus 2d6 Cold)
    Abilities: Str: 50/+20
    Special Attacks: Rend (4d6+30)

Camouflage [Ex]: The snow caked hide of a chenoo allows it to hide easily in snow environments, especially the dirty snow of forests. In such conditions, the chenoo may attempt to hide even when it does not have concealment, though their stench is so strong that this is completely ineffective at ranges closer than 20ft.

Dissolve: If successfully slain while their heart remains intact, a chenoo remains in its monstrous form with its flesh becoming crumbly and wood-like. If not burned completely, the creature resurrects after a couple of years. If the heart is completely destroyed, the chenoo reverts to its human form, possibly alive, if you can figure out how to set such a thing up.

Numbing Aura [Su]: A constant bitter snow flurry sounds around the chenoo, eminating in waves from its heart. Anyone who begins their turn within 20ft of the chenoo suffers 1d6 Cold damage and is numbed for 1 round, taking a -4 penalty to Dexterity. Anyone with resistance or immunity to cold is immune to the numbing effect, as are those with Cold Endurance 2 or better.

Tweening: The Chenoo is a fast and brutal creature that can enter and leave the Hedge with surprising ease. It can transverse Physical Boundaries, The Space Beneath and Shadows, along with Abstract Boundaries during times of Dusk and Dawn, which is a lot of the year in the arctic circle...

Wail of the Banshee [Sp]: The Chenoo's howl is so deadly that it can slay any mortal outright. This functions identically to the spell Wail of the Banshee with save DC 27. The chenoo may use this once per day, plus an additionial time per day each time it's size increases.

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Large Nosferatu Fæ Giant Beast 10 CP 12
    Init: + 4 , Senses: Listen 32 , Observation 32
    Languages: Algonquin
    Large Defence: 20 Flatfooted: 14 Hardness: 9 [p] + DR 10/Natural Tussle: 31
    Huge Defence: 18 Flatfooted: 12 Hardness: 10 [p] + DR 10/Natural Tussle: 35
    Gargantuan Defence: 16 Flatfooted: 10 Hardness: 12 [p] + DR 10/Natural Tussle: 39
    Colossal Defence: 14 Flatfooted: 8 Hardness: 14 [p] + DR 10/Natural Tussle: 43
    HD: 10d10 + 80 + 28 Hp: 163 Regeneration: 10 [Fire/Salt]
    Massive Damage: 28
    Thresholds: Green, [ 81 ] Yellow, [ 40 ] Orange, [ 16 ] Red
    Resist: Immune: All non mobility conditions, Cold
    Fort: + 15 Reflex: + 4 Will: + 7 Psyche: 19
    Speed: 40ft Space: 10 ft Reach: 10 ft

Melee: +19/+19 Claws Large (1d8+8 plus 2d6 Cold) Reach: 10 ft
    Huge (2d6+10 plus 2d6 Cold) Reach: 15 ft
    Garg. (3d6+12 plus 2d6 Cold) Reach: 20 ft
    Colossal (4d6+14 plus 2d6 Cold) Reach: 25 ft

Melee: AND +15 Bite Large (2d6+4 plus 2d6 Cold) Reach: 10 ft
    Huge (3d6+5 plus 2d6 Cold) Reach: 15 ft
    Garg. (4d6+6 plus 2d6 Cold) Reach: 15 ft
    Colossal (6d6+7 plus 2d6 Cold) Reach: 20 ft

BAB: + 10 Grapple: +22/28/+34/+40
    Special Actions:
    • Aim [Move; +3 to hit/+11 damage w/claws]
    • Cleave [Standard; Make melee attack, if attack hits, make another attack against a different target; -2 Defence]
    • Deadly Shriek [Standard; 5d6 x 2 Mental Sonic damage, 300ft [vocal range]; one use per size category only]
    • Great Cleave [Standard; make melee attack, if attack hits, keep making additional attacks until you miss; -4 Defence]
    • Power Attack [Free; accept penalty to attack rolls of up to -10, add equal bonus to damage on all attacks until next round]
    • Rend [Both claws hit; add damage together and apply Hardness and DR once only]

Abilities: Str: 26/+8 Dex: 6/-2 Con: 26/+8 Int: 4/-3 Wis: 14/+2 Cha: 6/-2
    SQ: Damage Aura (30ft, ½d10* Cold), Dissolve, Loom (Will DC 14/18/22/26 or Shaken), Improved Uncanny Dodge

Feats: Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Weapon Focus (Claws), Loud Voice, Power Attack, Sixth Sense, Weapon Focus (Claws)

Skills: Hide +14, Listen +20/+18/+14/+6, Move Silently +14, Observation +20/+18/+14/+6, Survival +20/+18/+14/+6
    Special Abilities:
    Angry Giant [Ex]: As you hurt a chenoo, it gets bigger and meaner; on the plus side, its attention span drops pretty dramatically too. When a chenoo is dropped below its Yellow threshold, it gains 40 temporary hit points and becomes Huge, using the stats noted for a Huge Chenoo.

When knocked below its Orange threshold, the chenoo grows again, becoming Gargantuan and uses the stats noted for the Gargantuan chenoo, along with gaining a another 40 temporary hit points.

If brought below its Red threshold, the chenoo grows one last time into a Colossal engine of destruction and uses those stats. It is still felled if brought below its Lethal threshold. Note that the Chenoo is not subject to the normal consequences of being below these thresholds because of its status as a Nosferatu.

This condition is somewhat crippling to the chenoo's ability to reason and so all of its Int, Wis and Cha based skills are penalised as noted [this is actually a function of the thing being a Giant subtype creature]. Hulk Smash!
    The chenoo may revert to smaller sizes once its hit points have risen above the given threshold with its regeneration ability. Doing so is a Full action that provokes attacks of opportunity.

Camouflage [Ex]: The snow caked hide of a chenoo allows it to hide easily in snow environments, especially the dirty snow of forests. In such conditions, the chenoo may attempt to hide even when it does not have concealment, though their stench is so strong that this is completely ineffective at ranges closer than 20ft.

Dissolve: If successfully slain while their heart remains intact, a chenoo remains in its monstrous form with its flesh becoming crumbly and wood-like. If not burned completely, the creature resurrects after a couple of years. If the heart is completely destroyed, the chenoo reverts to its human form, possibly alive, if you can figure out how to set such a thing up.

Tweening: The Chenoo is a fast and brutal creature that can enter and leave the Hedge with surprising ease. It can transverse Physical Boundaries, The Space Beneath and Shadows, along with Abstract Boundaries during times of Dusk and Dawn, which is a lot of the year in the arctic circle...

Note: For a human, "Vocal Range" is 30ft. This increases by 30ft per size above medium, with the chenoo using it's largest possible size as a base, for 150ft. This is then doubled by the Loud Voice feat.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Lore
    {table]DC |Lore

10 |Chenoo are a breed of demon-bear from the wildest forests of the north.

15 |If confronted by a Chenoo, your best course of action is to climb a pine tree, they cannot follow.

20 |Chenoo are a kind of undead creature that manifests when a spiritual parasite succeeds in devouring a soul that is weakened by cold, hunger and fear. They grow ever more powerful as they get angrier and howl with pain and loss when discovered

25 |While it is possible to "create" a chenoo, it is impossible to control one; the best a plotter can do is to get out of the way. Fortunately, if not provoked by noise, chenoo are not ravenous marauders, so much as deadly hunters like bears. They can be avoided simply by not being the most noticeable prey in the area.

30 |Once it has consumed the soul of the victim, the parasite takes root in the heart and forms into a small icy manikin of the person. This lump is the most resilient portion of the chenoo but is also a weakness. If the creature is force fed salt or tricked into eating some, the heart softens, rendering the creature Nauseated. This is only temporary, lasting 1d3 rounds, but while this is in place, the chenoo cannot use their howl either.

35 |Though it is difficult to even imagine being able to use this on the creature, the hot air of a sweat lodge can thaw the heart of a chenoo if given enough given a little time. Even a blast of sweat lodge air is enough to Stun a chenoo, while constant exposure deals 1 point of damage, suppresses the creature's Regeneration and renders the creature Stunned at the beginning of each round. If the chenoo dies from this, it emerges as a living human. Bellows are a useful tool in applying this.[/table]

Any material presented inside Spoilers listed as "MV Versions", along with all pictures above, are Copyright under the Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial License. All other text and game materials are free to use under the terms of the OGL and are designated Open Content.

Ok, the CR on that D&D version is a total guess; there's no comparable ability i can find to measure it against. If anyone has any oppinions on the subject, i'm happy to hear them.

What do people think on the Tsuchigumo, does it need that reach or would that make them too powerful for an LA +1 race? I'd rather not go above that.
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-11-09 at 06:32 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Not quite sure on the Challenge Rating, but holy cow did you do a nice job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I feel like a semi-jerk for asking this after you've posted such an interesting creature (What Mythos does it come from, Russian?), but I'm really bad at Critique (IMO), so here I go: Do you have any idea when you'll post the "In the Wings" creatures from the front page?

8. - Top - End - #278

Beholder

Do you do any unique or perhaps epic fey?

Coyote, the trickster is one of my FAVORITE people in native american myth. :)
    Not again...

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Housecleaned on Mod's orders.
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-04-24 at 05:50 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    @ Lhurgyof:I haven't done any of the top end fae for a pair of reasons: one, it's straifing rather close to the wind on the forum rules as many of these things are the subject of worship [for instance, i have a version of Toutatis, a relatively minor deity from Celtic Druidism statted up as a fae but i'm not sure it's worth risking it], and two, my campaign setting assumes that only deities or "biblical" scale monsters are more than 20HD, which makes epic a bit tricky to do the primaries on.

I'd rate [for my setting/system] anything that was a deity at some point at between 15 and 20 HD, with the trend towards being 20HD [Toutatis, Thunderbirds and the Mishi-whatever].

If you can convince the forum staff that my creatures are more based on their epithets and Asterix references than any research, i'll start posting, but otherwise no.
    Whats the problem if the creature is from a Myth though? I don't think anybody would stop you from creating (not a Fey but it serves my point) a Leviathan.

@ AtlanteanTroll: Well...I'm just not sure if they're worth converting... Especially the Ogres, which i think are an awesome conversion but the ogre in D&D is perfectly servicable as a fairy monster with the addition of tweening and some DR.

If you want me to actually convert them, i'll be willing, but it'll be tricky. The AElfar, well, those are just waiting for a lull
    Well Ogres would certainly be interesting too, but the AElfar are what grabbed at me, as I once tried to make my own (with no LA (which I do believe is unfair). HAH!).

It's Wabanaki Native American btw...
    Only off by the Pacific.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2011-04-19 at 02:12 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Whats the problem if the creature is from a Myth though? I don't think anybody would stop you from creating (not a Fey but it serves my point) a Leviathan.

Well Ogres would certainly be interesting too, but the AElfar are what grabbed at me, as I once tried to make my own (with no LA (which I do believe is unfair). HAH!).

Only off by the Pacific.
    {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-04-19 at 10:17 PM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Colossus in the Playground

Well, it actually does say any real-world religion is off topic. Even ancient ones, as they apply to the real world. So, yeah. Better don't do it.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Well, it actually does say any real-world religion is off topic. Even ancient ones, as they apply to the real world. So, yeah. Better don't do it.
    Does it? It says, "Real-world religions (including religious reactions to gaming)." That doesn't necessarily mean that.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-04-19 at 10:30 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Does it? It says, "Real-world religions (including religious reactions to gaming)." That doesn't necessarily mean that.
    Sheriff of Moddingham: It means exactly what it says. "Real-world religions (including religious reactions to gaming)." It doesn't require that it be a modern, current, active religion or that it be a discussion that's evangelical, critical, favorable, or anything else in nature. Discussions of real world religion is broadly and strictly prohibited. Numerous official rulings to this effect can be read in Board Issues. This is one of the earliest rules The Giant established for this forum and has been ruled upon consistently since then.

Avoid religious references, even in relation to gaming issues.

Now, if it's purely fictional, such as within the IC of a PbP game, that's fine. But if it bleeds over into religious discussion in the OOC or if it's a discussion elsewhere on the forum (whether SMBG, Homebrew, Gaming, or FB) it's plainly a real world reference and not allowed.

When in doubt, avoid posting to avoid rules violations.

Please keep this to folklore of a non-religious nature and carefully scrutinize all prior posts (deleting where necessary) before we get around to doing so.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-04-19 at 10:32 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

16. - Top - End - #286

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Sheriff of Moddingham: It means exactly what it says. "Real-world religions (including religious reactions to gaming)." It doesn't require that it be a modern, current, active religion or that it be a discussion that's evangelical, critical, favorable, or anything else in nature. Discussions of real world religion is broadly and strictly prohibited. Numerous official rulings to this effect can be read in Board Issues. This is one of the earliest rules The Giant established for this forum and has been ruled upon consistently since then.

Avoid religious references, even in relation to gaming issues.

Now, if it's purely fictional, such as within the IC of a PbP game, that's fine. But if it bleeds over into religious discussion in the OOC or if it's a discussion elsewhere on the forum (whether SMBG, Homebrew, Gaming, or FB) it's plainly a real world reference and not allowed.

When in doubt, avoid posting to avoid rules violations.

Please keep this to folklore of a non-religious nature and carefully scrutinize all prior posts (deleting where necessary) before we get around to doing so.
    .... So, like, mentioning Coyote the trickster, even as a metaphor, or (as stated earlier) an epithet is against the rules?

Holy Quickdraw McGraw.

I don't see how giving Coyote stats is any different than giving stats to say, King Arthur (or any well-known figure). The only possible debate arising from that I can see is the accuracy of the stats.

But, it is the giant's forum. And although I may not agree with that, there's nothing I can do to change it.

Sorry for asking about it, Mulletman, I see I got your forum to be invaded and red-texted. =\
    Last edited by Lhurgyof; 2011-04-20 at 12:48 AM.
    Not again...

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah, it was my frustrated attempts to get people to stop that led to my infraction.

I shouldn't have said what I said and no further comment shall be made on it. Ever. By anyone.

For reference, these are the characters that I can't find any substansive argument of them being worshipped figures:
    • Most of the actual Tuatha de Danaan, not that they're particularly interesting for the most part
    • The Mither o'the Sea [Orkney Queen fairy, namedrop mostly]
    • Oberron, already a request
    • Titania, not really a folkloric character
    • Mab, again, mostly later fiction
    • The named Fomori
    • there seems to be a deity AND a cultural hero called Gluskabe, so I presume the cultural hero is fine
    • Most of the God-Oni creatures aren't really religious features so they could probably fly
    • Nakken
    • Baba Yagga
    • Most Djinn characters from the real world, barring Zayat [or whatever the Islamic Satan-analogue is called]

If anyone has anything else they'd like me to look into, i'm happy enough to do so, similarly, if any of these are actively worshipped as far as you know, tell me so i can strike them off.

Anansi is another being that seems to be a god in one place and a storybook character in another [the latter in a series of South African storybooks] but i'm not sure where that lands him.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Right, to distract from my recent intercession [and the fact that the Am Fear...thiny, i presently being fitted for a nice suit of campaign significance], here's the Spriggan of Cornish myth.

Spriggan:
    The muscle-men of the Cornish fairy processions, spriggans are considered to be the meryans [fairy ghosts/reincarnations] or the giants of old. Hideously ugly and standing less than five inches tall, spriggans are, none-the-less, mighty combatants and prefer to fight by wrestling with the big folk. It is worth noting that, despite their presence alongside both true meryans and sprites, spriggans are neither, being closer to common fæ than either of the others.

While mostly associated with the Meryans of the Giants' Court, the spriggan have an abiding interest in politics within the courts and love to clown and wrestle in any court they can, should they be given an invitation.

D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Diminutive Humanoid (Fæ)
    Hit Dice:6d8 (27 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 20ft (4 squares)
    Armor Class: 19 (+3 Dex, +4 Size, +2 Armour), touch 17, flat-footed 16
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+11
    Attack: Fist +11 melee (1d6+3)
    Full Attack: Fist +11 melee (1d6+3)
    Space/Reach: 1ft/0ft
    Special Attacks: Pummel [1d8+1d6+4], Memory of Giants
    Special Qualities: Dissolve, DR 6/Natural, Ridiculously Powerful Build, Tweening
    Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +3
    Abilities: Str: 16/+3 Dex: 17/+3 Con: 10/- Int: 10/- Wis: 12/+1 Cha: 10/-
    Skills: Bluff +9, Climb +12, Intimidate +9, Knowledge [Politics] +9
    Feats: Confound the Big FolkB, Races of Stone, Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Pummel
    Environment: Cornwall
    Organization: Solitary, Gang [2-12]
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Treasure: Incidental
    Alignment: Usually Neutral
    Advancement: by class

Combat

Dissolve: When slain, Spriggans break up into a pile of small bones, mostly those of mice, and dust.

Memory of Giants [Ex]: As a Move action, a spriggan may reveal its nature as a Meryan and suddenly grow to be Large in size. Doing so adds a +4 bonus to Grapple checks and the first time this happens, everyone within 20ft must make a Will save, DC 13, or be affected by the spell, Scare.

Ridiculously Powerful Build [Ex]: What spriggans lack in magic, they make up for in sheer force; despite standing a little over four inches tall, spriggans are stronger than an average human male and, for whatever reason, seem able to disregard such trifling things as leverage when lifting and moving things. A spriggan is treated as a Medium creature for all things that would be advantageous to it and as a Diminutive creature where it gains more benefits from that. Fighting spriggans is an unnerving experience to say the least, not least because of their preference for grappling.

Tweening: A Spriggan is able to tween through Physical Boundaries and the Space Beneath, along with Shadows at the times of Dusk and Dawn.

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Diminutive Fæ Humanoid 6 CP 4
    Init: + 6 , Senses: Listen 11 , Observation 11
    Languages: Cornish
    Defence: 15 Flatfooted: 14
    Hardness: DR 6/Natural
    HD: 6d8 + 10 Hp: 37
    Massive Damage: 10
    Thresholds: Green, [ 18 ] Yellow, [ 9 ] Orange, [ 3 ] Red
    Resist:
    Fort: + 5 Reflex: + 6 Will: + 4 Psyche: 18 Tussle: 25
    Speed: 20ft Space: 1 ft Reach: 0 ft

Melee: +11 Fist (1d6+3)

BAB: + 4 Grapple: +11
    Special Actions:
    • Brawler's Delight [Standard; Unarmed strike for 1d6+1d4+4 damage]
    • Leap To [Swift; gain Jump distance of 10ft. Used as a Move action.]
    • Memory of Giants [Move; Spriggan becomes Large until end phase. +4 bonus on grapple, Loom: Shaken, Will DC 14/Neg]
    • Pummel [Standard; deal Wrestle to deal 1d8+1d6+4 damage to medium creature. Target must be prone or adjacent to solid object]

Abilities: Str: 16/+3 Dex: 17/+3 Con: 10/- Int: 10/- Wis: 12/+1 Cha: 10/-
    SQ:

Feats: Fisticuffs, Improved Grapple, Pummel

Skills: Athletics +14, Bluff +11, Intimidate +14, Knowledge (Politics) +11, Perform (Comedy) +11, Profession (Herald) +12
    Special Abilities:

Dissolve: When slain, Spriggans break up into a pile of small bones, mostly those of mice, and dust.

Ridiculously Powerful Build [Ex]: What spriggans lack in magic, they make up for in sheer force; despite standing a little over four inches tall, spriggans are stronger than an average human male and, for whatever reason, seem able to disregard such trifling things as leverage when lifting and moving things. A spriggan is treated as a Medium creature for all things that would be advantageous to it and as a Diminutive creature where it gains more benefits from that. Fighting spriggans is an unnerving experience to say the least, not least because of their preference for grappling.

Slippery Devils [Ex]: Being so small has forced the scrappy spriggans to learn to enter the spaces of other beings smoothly and without incident. They may enter the space of any being of size Small or larger without provoking attacks of opportunity. While inside such a space, they gain a +4 defence bonus for soft cover.

Tweening: A Spriggan is able to tween through Physical Boundaries and the Space Beneath, along with Shadows at the times of Dusk and Dawn.

Lore:
    {table]DC|Information

6|Spriggans are tiny, ugly men who guard the pretty fairies

11|If you punch a spriggan, it turns into a crock of gold!

16|Spriggans are a kind of powerful fae that are Meryans [physical embodiments of the spirits of the dead] to a race of giants.

21|While not organised themselves, spriggans are brought together to act as guards for groups of trouping fairies. They sometimes remain together to cause mischief.

26|Spriggans obey some strange rules while guarding the processions. They cannot stray further from the procession than they can see and are under instructions [as it is part of the procession] not to disturb anyone holding a plantain leaf over his/her head.

31|Part of a spirggan's understanding of the world is tied to glammer; those who turn their clothes while within 10ft of a spriggan seem almost divinely "real" compared to everything else, gaining a +10 bonus on Charisma based skill checks against them for the remainder of the encounter.[/table]

Any material presented inside Spoilers listed as "MV Versions", along with all pictures above, are Copyright under the Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial License. All other text and game materials are free to use under the terms of the OGL and are designated Open Content.

OK, while I'm working on the Am Fear Laith Mor and the rest of the Mythic Aberdeen micro-setting (I'm about half way through the map at the moment but my computre keeps overheating), I'm kind of out of material for now. Anyone got any requests or should I fill the time with the AElfar?
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-11-09 at 07:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Ælfr [Norse Elves]:
    Ælfr [pronounced more like AHL-far], plural Ælfar, are beings of around human height with the same ranges of height between individuals and racial groups; Light Elves are generally tall, hansom and blond with golden eyes, Dark Elves are generally shorter, around 5ft, with neat, sharp features and white hair and silver eyes. Several other groups are found in East Asia, known as Spirit folk though they have slightly different traits.

Ælfr are incredibly long lived, to the order of four hundred years, and spend a long time in an apprentice role within their tribe. By the time they come of age, they are the equal of an experienced human soldier in combat, tough as an ox, stronger than most navvies and possess skills in magic comparable to most human wizards. On the other hand, they are far keener to preserve their life, given how much of it they could lose; leading many of them to be cautious almost to a fault.

Rather than being tied to a particular Queen, most Ælfr draw power from the body of their tribe; while they are permitted to join the courts, Ælfr are expected to be loyal to the family above the court and to formally challenge opposing Ælfr if they find themselves in opposition and while they will happily slay humans, internal duels are always non-lethal.

D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Medium Humanoid [Ælfr, Fæ]
    Hit Dice: 3d8 + 3 (16 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 30ft (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 19 (+2 Dexterity, +5 Masterwork Mithril Chainmail, +2 Masterwork Mithril Heavy Shield), touch 12, flat-footed 17
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+3
    Attack: Longbow +5 ranged (1d8+1, x3, range 120ft) or Longsword +4 melee (1d8+1, 19/x2)
    Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
    Special Attacks: Spells, Spring Attack
    Special Qualities: Dissolve, DR 3/Natural, Improbable Fortune, Tweening, Woodland Stride
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +3
    Abilities: Str: 13/+1 Dex: 14/+2 Con: 12/+1 Int: 13/+1 Wis: 14/+2 Cha: 15/+2
    Skills: Craft (any one) +7, Diplomacy +8, Listen +8, Spot +8, Tumble +6
    Feats: Mobility, Spring Attack [both revised below]
    Environment: Northern Forests
    Organization: Solitary, Group [3-10], Patrol [2-6 + 1 Ælfr Warrior + 1-2 Ælfr Archers]
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Treasure: Gear only
    Alignment: Usually Neutral [isolationist]
    Advancement: by class Favoured Class: Any
    Level Adjustment: +3

Combat

Dissolve: When slain, Ælfr seem to turn to stone [slate in most cases] and break apart into unrecognisable rubble. Their armour has a 25% chance of surviving, as do their weapons. This goes a long way to suggesting that trolls are closely related to the elves.

Improbable Fortune [Su]: Each time an Ælfr's blood is spilt, either on purpose as a Standard action or by violence, he gains a charge of magical fortune. As a free action, he may declare that he is using his charge of fortune, rolling two dice instead of one on a d20 check. He may select the roll of his choice. An Ælfr may only have one charge of fortune at a time.

Possessions: Due to their cultural grasp of Fæ-craft, the Ælfrs' equipment is always of masterwork quality and usually mithril in composition. This means that they possess a Masterwork suit of Mithril Chainmail, a Masterwork Mithril Longsword, a Masterwork Longbow and a Masterwork Mithril Heavy Shield.

Sorcery: Favoured Soul CL 2. Spell DC 12 + Spell level.

Tweening: Ælfr are surprisingly capable of tweening through the Hedge's boundaries, able to use Physical Boundaries, along with The Space Beneath and Shadows during the times of twilight. A favourite is to burst from a liminal using their Spring Attack feat, strike an adjacent target and then shift back.

Woodland Stride [Su]: Ælfar leave little or no trace of their passage and are never slowed by Difficult Terrain in natural settings. They do not gain this ability if they venture into a town or on laid roads.

D&D Racial Traits:
    Spoiler
    Show

• Attributes: +2 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +4 Charisma
    • Size: Medium
    • Speed: 30ft
    • Dissolve: When slain, Ælfar turn to stone and break up into unidentifiable rubble.
    • Damage Reduction: As Fæ, Ælfar gain damage reduction equal to their total character level, which is bypassed only by natural weapons i.e. those that are not made of steel, lead or the like.
    • Elf-senses: +4 bonus on Liisten and Observation checks.
      Immunity: Charms: Ælfar are immune to all magic that would affect their mood or temperment, making them very difficult to affect with most witchcraft.
    • Improbable Fortune [Su]: Each time an Ælfr's blood is spilt, either on purpose as a Standard action or by violence, he gains a charge of magical fortune. As a free action, he may declare that he is using his charge of fortune, rolling two dice instead of one on a d20 check. He may select the roll of his choice. An Ælfr may only have one charge of fortune at a time.
    • Resistance: Curses: Ælfar are blessed with a resistance to curses that provides them with a +4 bonus on any saves made to resist such spells.
    • Sorcery: All Ælfar have abilities equal to those of a 2nd level Sorcerer or Favoured Soul. This choice must be made at first level and cannot be changed. These levels stack with further such levels taken as class levels. A Favoured Soul Ælfar must choose his spells from the Druid
    • Woodland Stride [Su]: Ælfar are not slowed by natural Difficult Terrain and may Shift freely on such. Further, they leave no footprints or the like.
    • Level Adjustment: +3

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Medium Fæ Humanoid 3 CP 2
    Init: + 3 , Senses: Listen + 6 , Observation +12
    Languages: Ælfr, Old Norse
    Defence: 14 Flatfooted: 10
    Hardness: 5
    HD: 3d8 + 3 + 12 Hp: 28
    Massive Damage: 12
    Thresholds: Green, [ 14 ] Yellow, [ 7 ] Orange, [ 2 ] Red
    Resist: Immune: Charms, +4 on saves vs Curses
    Fort: + 4 Reflex: + 3 Will: + 3 Psyche: 20 Tussle: 13
    Speed: 30ft Space: 5 ft Reach: 5 ft, 15ft for Shifting
    Ranged: +5 Longbow (2d8, x3, range 80ft)

Melee: +4 Longsword (1d10+1, 19/x2)

BAB: + 2 Grapple: +3
    Special Actions:
    • Spring Attack [Standard; the Ælfr makes a conventional Standard action and then may Shift as a Free action immediately thereafter]

Abilities: Str: 13/+1 Dex: 14/+2 Con: 12/+1 Int: 13/+1 Wis: 14/+2 Cha: 15/+2
    SQ:

Feats: Cultist (Witchery)B, Mobility, Spring Attack
    Flaws: Malefacarum

Skills: Craft (any one) +7, Diplomancy +8, Observation +12 (+4 racial), Tumble +8, Witchcraft +8
    Special Abilities:

Dissolve: When slain, Ælfr seem to turn to stone [slate in most cases] and break apart into unrecognisable rubble. Their armour has a 25% chance of surviving, as do their weapons. This goes a long way to suggesting that trolls are closely related to the elves.

Fæcraft Mastery: All of an Ælfr's equipment is forged from a lightweight, silvery type of steel that bears an alarming resemblance to stone, rather like the material used to make Mjolnir, the hammer of Thor. Their armour takes the form of Masterwork +1 Officer's Plate, Masterwork +1 Longswords, Masterwork +1 Heavy Shield and a Masterwork +1 Longbow. Their arrows do not suffer the normal Low Penetration penalty on their damage.

Improbable Fortune [Su]: Each time an Ælfr's blood is spilt, either on purpose as a Standard action or by violence, he gains a charge of magical fortune. As a free action, he may declare that he is using his charge of fortune, rolling two dice instead of one on a d20 check. He may select the roll of his choice. An Ælfr may only have one charge of fortune at a time.

Tweening: Ælfr are surprisingly capable of tweening through the Hedge's boundaries, able to use Physical Boundaries, along with The Space Beneath and Shadows during the times of twilight. A favourite is to burst from a liminal using their Spring Attack feat, strike an adjacent target and then shift back.

Witchcraft [Su]: The culture of the Ælfar is one of strange unity; they use a heartstone in the centre of their race's realm, along with a mysterious ruler, as a power source and function as cultists. A basic Ælfr is able to use spells of up to 3rd level, though they rarely attempt anything beyond 1st.

Woodland Stride [Su]: Ælfar leave little or no trace of their passage and are never slowed by Difficult Terrain in natural settings. They do not gain this ability if they venture into a town or on laid roads.

Ælfar Racial Traits [MV]:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Attributes: +2 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +4 Charisma
    • Size: Medium
    • Speed: 30ft
    • Dissolve: When slain, Ælfar turn to stone and break up into unidentifiable rubble.
    • Damage Reduction: As Fæ, Ælfar gain damage reduction equal to their total character level, which is bypassed only by natural weapons i.e. those that are not made of steel, lead or the like.
    • Elf-senses: +4 bonus on Liisten and Observation checks.
      Immunity: Charms: Ælfar are immune to all magic that would affect their mood or temperment, making them very difficult to affect with most witchcraft.
    • Improbable Fortune [Su]: Each time an Ælfr's blood is spilt, either on purpose as a Standard action or by violence, he gains a charge of magical fortune. As a free action, he may declare that he is using his charge of fortune, rolling two dice instead of one on a d20 check. He may select the roll of his choice. An Ælfr may only have one charge of fortune at a time.
    • Resistance: Curses: Ælfar are blessed with a resistance to curses that provides them with a +4 bonus on any saves made to resist such spells.
    • Sorcery: All Ælfar gain the Cultist (Witchcraft) feat as a bonus feat and must accept the Malefacarum flaw as a result of their odd spellcasting methodology.
    • Woodland Stride [Su]: Ælfar are not slowed by natural Difficult Terrain and may Shift freely on such. Further, they leave no footprints or the like.
    • Null Levels: 3. This grants the Ælfar 3d8 hit points, a +2 BAB, +2 Def, +3 Fortitude, +1 Reflex, +1 Will and 24 + [6 x Int] Skill Points. They also possess two feats thanks to these HD.

Retooled Feats [Both]:
    Spoiler
    Show

Mobility [Fighter/Trooper]:
    You can get around the battlefield very smoothly.
    Prerequisites: Move 25ft+
    D&D Description: When you make a 5ft step, you may move up to 10ft instead.
    MV Description: Your reach is increased by +5ft for purposes of Shifting.

Spring Attack [Fighter/Trooper]:
    Your fighting tactics are difficult to follow as you are more than able to approach a foe, strike and disengage before they can respond.
    Prerequisites: Mobility
    D&D Description: When you make a 5ft step, you may instead make a 15ft step. Additionally, when you make a Standard action, you may immediately take a 5ft step [total distance up to 15ft] as a Free action. This does not count as your one 5ft step per round.
    MV Description: Your reach for purposes of Shifting increases by another 5ft [total +10ft]. When you make a Standard action, you may Shift immeidately afterwards as a Free action.

The logic here is that it makes you more mobile without sucking completely. The prerequisites are there so Dwarfs are not required to dip, they may just take Dash instead. I'm sure you could find a way of abusing these, but one hasn't come up in playtesting so far.

Lore:
    {table]DC|Information

3| Ælfar have pointy ears and dance around in the moonlight.

8|Ælfar are beautiful and possess magical cows that never run out of milk.

13|The Ælfar are a proud and competend culture with a strong warrior tradition. Most of them that leave their hidden lands are as competent as experienced human soldiers.

18|All members of their race are capable spellcasters, able to lay curses and mess with the forest at will. It's also worth noting that they DON'T have pointed ears.

23|Wherever they are found, Ælfar are usually remnants of an older religious time. They fiercly dislike the names of the gods that displaced them, becoming Sickened for one round the first time such a name is spoken in their presence in any given encounter.

28|Because of their mildly divine nature, Ælfar can't stand the sight of holy symbols. When a character wielding one attempts to Intimidate them, he gains a +4 bonus on the check[/table]

This is the first of my Ælfar stat-ups. I have several more on the way, including Archers, Warriors and a sort of leader/ranger type, along with a witch. They were begun when my help was called in for a Scion game and we came across a half-Ælfar character named Skuld and I was asked to stat her up. Had to devise the race first...
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-12-26 at 07:41 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Ok, so just to be completely sure, the Behemoth and the Leviathan are off limits?

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

You'd have to ask Roland. When other people do them, they don't go to primary sources. I do. I'm pretty sure they're thus, off limits.

Unless a mod comes in here and gives me direct permission, consider that a catagorical "no."

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Besides, I never really saw Leviathan and Behemoth as particularly Fae monstrosities. Leviathan ties in to the archetype of the primordial chaos dragon of the sea/abyss, and Behemoth... he, uh... he's... big? I guess? Come to think of it, Behemoth doesn't really do anything or get mentioned all that much compared to his aquatic equivalent. Most of his fame comes from being a synonym for 'big'.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

YAY ALFAR! ... *taps fingers* Uhmmm. If you HAD to, what would you do to make them LA 0 (or 1)? Or do you find that impossible?

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    Besides, I never really saw Leviathan and Behemoth as particularly Fae monstrosities. Leviathan ties in to the archetype of the primordial chaos dragon of the sea/abyss, and Behemoth... he, uh... he's... big? I guess? Come to think of it, Behemoth doesn't really do anything or get mentioned all that much compared to his aquatic equivalent. Most of his fame comes from being a synonym for 'big'.
    Yeah, though [and i have no idea where it came from] his description is pretty cool; a vast beast held aloft on an elephant's legs, a shell woven of scales like shields and tusks that could move the earth.

If nothing else, that helped me design a suit of armour for my largest Ogre though unfortunately, i suck at drawing humans enough that i haven't been able to finish the picture of it not that i could anyway, at the moment, photoshop keeps overheating my laptop...

YAY ALFAR! ... *taps fingers* Uhmmm. If you HAD to, what would you do to make them LA 0 (or 1)? Or do you find that impossible?
    Well, the half-AElfr are going to be LA +1. They get +2 Wis, +2Cha, +2 Dex, an instability of the mind and a boosty for spellcasting. The last part is diffucult for me to balance as MV spellcasting has been seriously altered, to the point that i have to dig out my Pathfinder books to remember how things go in D&D...

I'll get to that when I get to Skuld...

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Ælfr Warrior:
    The actual warriors of the Ælfar are very capable, though they generally have only the actual field experience of an experienced human.

Ælfr Warrior [D&D Version]:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ælfr fighter 2

Medium Humanoid (Fae)
    Hit Dice: 2d10 + 3d8 + 10 (34 hp)
    Armor Class: 20 (+3 Dexterity, +5 Masterwork Mithril Chainmail, +2 Masterwork Mithril Heavy Shield), touch 13, flat-footed 17
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+6
    Attack: Longbow +8 ranged (1d8+2, x3, range 120ft) or Longsword +8 melee (1d8+2, 19/x2)
    Special Attacks: Sorcery
    Special Qualities: Dissolve, DR 5/Natural, Tweening, Woodland Stride
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +4
    Abilities: Str: 15/+2 Dex: 16/+3 Con: 14/+2 Int: 13/+1 Wis: 14/+2 Cha: 15/+2
    Skills: Craft (Any one) +9, Hide +11, Ride +11, Spot +15
    Feats: Mobility, Spring Attack, Weapon Focus (Longsword)
    Organization: Solitary, Patrol [1-3 plus 2-6 Ælfar]
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Treasure: gear only
    Advancement: by class

Combat

Possessions: Due to their cultural grasp of Fæ-craft, the Ælfrs' equipment is always of masterwork quality and usually mithril in composition. This means that they possess a Masterwork suit ofMithril Chainmail, a Masterwork Mithril Longsword, a Masterwork Longbow and a Masterwork Mithril Heavy Shield.

Sorcery: level 2 Favoured Soul (spells 5/5, save DC 12 + spell level)

Ælfr Warrior [MV Version]:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Medium Fæ Humanoid 3 Fighter 2 CP 4
    Init: + 5 , Senses: Listen 16 , Observation 24
    Languages: Old Norse, Celtic [75% comprehension to derivative languages]
    Defence: 16 Flatfooted: 10
    Hardness: 5 (p) + DR 5/Natural
    HD: 3d8 + 2d10 + 10 + 14 Hp: 48
    Massive Damage: 12
    Thresholds: Green, [ 24 ] Yellow, [ 12 ] Orange, [ 4 ] Red
    Resist: Immune: Charms, +4 on saves vs Curses
    Fort: + 7 Reflex: + 5 Will: + 3 Psyche: 22 Tussle: 16
    Ranged: +8 Longbow (2d8+3, x3, range 80ft)

Melee: +8 Longsword (1d10+4, 19/x2)

BAB: + 4 Grapple: +6
    Special Actions:
    • Aim [Move; +2 damage; +1 to hit, +3 damage on Longsword]
    • Spring Attack [Standard; the Ælfr Shifts and then may make another Standard action]
    • Weapon Specialisation [Standard; Longsword attack +6 (2d10+1, 19/x2)]

Abilities: Str: 15/+2 Dex: 16/+3 Con: 14/+2 Int: 13/+1 Wis: 14/+2 Cha: 15/+2
    SQ: Dissolve, Improbable Fortune, Tweening, Woodland Stride

Feats: Cultist (Witchery)B, Mobility, Spring Attack, Weapon Focus (Longsword), Weapon Specialisation (Longsword)

Skills: Balance +4, Craft (any one) +8, Diplomancy +8, Observation +14 (+4 racial), Tumble +6, Witchcraft +8
    Special Abilities:

Fæcraft Mastery: All of an Ælfr's equipment is forged from a lightweight, silvery type of steel that bears an alarming resemblance to stone, rather like the material used to make Mjolnir, the hammer of Thor. Their armour takes the form of Masterwork +1 Officer's Plate, Masterwork +1 Longswords, Masterwork +1 Heavy Shield and a Masterwork +1 Longbow. Their arrows do not suffer the normal Low Penetration penalty on its damage.

Tweening:
    Ælfr are surprisingly capable of tweening through the Hedge's boundaries, able to use Physical Boundaries, along with The Space Beneath and Shadows during the times of twilight. A favourite is to burst from a liminal using their Spring Attack feat, strike an adjacent target and then shift back.

Witchcraft [Su]: The culture of the Ælfar is one of strange unity; they use a heartstone in the centre of their race's realm, along with a mysterious ruler, as a power source and function as cultists. A basic Ælfr is able to use spells of up to 3rd level, though they rarely attempt anything beyond 1st.

Ælfr Archer:
    The actual warriors of the Ælfar are very capable, though they generally have only the actual field experience of an experienced human.

Ælfr Archer [D&D Version]:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ælfr Fighter 3

Humanoid (Fae)
    Hit Dice: 3d10 + 3d8 + 12 (42 hp)
    Armor Class: 17 (+3 Dexterity, +4 Masterwork Mithril Chain Shirt), touch 13, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+7
    Attack: Longbow +9 ranged (1d8+2, x3, range 120ft) or Longsword +7 melee (1d8+2, 19/x2)
    Special Attacks: Arcane Strike, Sorcery
    Special Qualities: Dissolve, DR 6/Natural, Tweening, Woodland Stride
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +5
    Abilities: Str: 15/+2 Dex: 16/+3 Con: 14/+2 Int: 13/+1 Wis: 16/+3 Cha: 15/+2
    Skills: Craft (Any one) +10, Hide +11, Move Silently +11, Spot +16
    Feats: Arcane StrikeCW, Mobility, Spring Attack, Weapon Focus (Longbow)
    Organization: Solitary, Team [2-6]
    Challenge Rating: 5
    Treasure: gear only
    Advancement: by Class

Combat

Possessions: Due to their cultural grasp of Fæ-craft, the Ælfrs' equipment is always of masterwork quality and usually mithril in composition. This means that they possess a Masterwork Mithril Chain Shirt, a Masterwork Mithril Longsword and a Masterwork Longbow.

Sorcery: level 2 Sorcerer (spells 5/5, save DC 12 + spell level)

Ælfr Archer [MV Version]:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Medium Fæ Humanoid 3 Fighter 3 CP 5
    Init: + 5 , Senses: Listen + 2 , Observation +14
    Languages: Old Norse, Celtic [75% comprehension to derivative languages]
    Defence: 18 Flatfooted: 18 (Uncanny Dodge)
    Hardness: 5 (p) + DR 6/Natural
    HD: 3d8 + 3d10 + 12 + 14 Hp: 56
    Massive Damage: 14
    Thresholds: Green, [ 28 ] Yellow, [ 14 ] Orange, [ 5 ] Red
    Resist: Immune: Charms, +4 on saves vs Curses,
    Fort: + 7 Reflex: + 5 Will: + 4 Psyche: 23 Tussle: 17
    Ranged: +9 Longbow (2d8+5, x3, range 80ft)

Melee: +7 Longsword (1d10+2, 19/x2)

BAB: + 5 Grapple: +7
    Special Actions:
    {table][*]Aim [Move; +2 damage; +1 to hit, +3 damage on Longbow][*]Mythic Strike [Swift; sacrifice æther to add +1 to hit and +1d8 damage per point spent][*]Spring Attack [Standard; the Ælfr Shifts and then may make another Standard action][/list]
    Abilities: Str: 15/+2 Dex: 16/+3 Con: 14/+2 Int: 13/+1 Wis: 16/+3 Cha: 15/+2
    SQ: Dissolve, Improbable Fortune, Tweening, Woodland Stride

Feats: Cultist (Witchery)B, Mobility, Mythic Strike, Spring Attack, Weapon Focus (Longbow),

Skills: Balance +6, Craft (any one) +8, Diplomancy +8, Observation +16 (+4 racial), Tumble +6, Witchcraft +10
    Special Abilities:

Fæcraft Mastery:
    All of an Ælfr's equipment is forged from a lightweight, silvery type of steel that bears an alarming resemblance to stone, rather like the material used to make Mjolnir, the hammer of Thor. Their armour takes the form of Masterwork +1 Officer's Plate, Masterwork +1 Longswords, Masterwork +1 Heavy Shield and a Masterwork +1 Longbow. Their arrows do not suffer the normal Low Penetration penalty on its damage.

It's amazing how poorly the Warrior translates back into D&D, while it's a pretty deadly opponent in MV. If someone wants to make a Warblade version or something, i'll be happy to switch them out.
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-11-09 at 06:25 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Moved because I'm starting to need the characters in the first post...

Ankou

Ankou is a creature that haunts the hills, dales and marshes of the Breton countryside, preying on those lost in its marshes. In local folklore, it is associated with the Grim Reaper, its shadow being a common thing to fall over the doomed.

The Ankou, when seen resembles a slightly over tall but spindly human shrouded in an oversized robe. This robe bears many bells, especially several on the many peaks of his hood that flop and fold down the back of his head. Each clawed hand has only three fingers and from each of this pale, bony digits hangs a ring tied to a thread. Each of these threads carry a bell in its centre and connects to a larger ring of bone that slides up and down the Ankou’s white, palid arms.

The face of an Ankou offers neither comfort nor any attempt to disguise what it is; two yellowish feline eyes glare out from a skeletal brow with no nose but a ragged sequence of folds of scar tissue. The mouth is perhaps the worst sight that a man may meet in his days for it is a ragged, snaggletoothed hole, covered not with lips but skin that constantly tears and reforms as the beast fights between the growth of its flesh and its need to breath.

An Ankou hunts by stalking its prey until they are in a suitable location and then beginning to use its ability to shift and tween into the Hedge and the real world to sow discord using their magical bells. Once his opponents are suitably bunched and unable to fight effectively, the Ankou emerges like a black flash by swapping places with one of the most paranoid, striking with his wicked sickle and disappearing, dumping the target's ally back in place. In this way, his foes become weakened by continued panic and blood loss.

D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Medium Fey
    Hit Dice: 12d6+36 (78)
    Initiative: +5
    Speed: 30ft (6 squares), 60ft (12 squares) in Hedge
    Armor Class: 18 (+1 Dexterity, +7 Natural), touch 11, flat-footed 17
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+9
    Attack: +10 Fey Sickle 1d6+3 (Crit 19/x3) plus Infernal Wound
    Full Attack: +10/+5 Fey Sickle 1d6+3 (Crit 19/x3) plus Infernal Wound
    Special Attacks: Broken Trust, Paranoia, Silver Bells
    Special Qualities: Fast Healing 5, Fey traits, Spell-like Abilities
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +9, Will +10
    Abilities: Str 17/+3, Dex 12/+1, Con 16/+3, Int 10/-, Wis 15/+2, Cha 19/+4
    Skills: Balance +16, Climb +11, Hide +18, Intimidate +19, Knowledge [Nature] +15, Move Silently +10, Survival +17
    Feats: Ability Focus [Broken Trust], Ability Focus [Paranoia], Improved Initiative, Stealthy, Weapon Focus [Sickle]
    Environment: Rolling Hills, Marshes and Moors [Northern France]
    Organization: Solitary, Marsh Haunting (one, plus 1-6 Bog ImpsHoH), Forest Road (one, plus 4-7 Dryads), Unseelie Hunt (one or two, plus 3-12 ThornsMM5)
    Challenge Rating: 9
    Treasure: Standard [Scattered]
    Alignment: Usually Neutral Evil
    Advancement: Normal (13-17), Greater (18+)
    Level Adjustment: -

Combat
    An Ankou prefers to fight from the Hedge using their Liminal Tweening and Broken Trust abilities. They usually make repeated Broken Trust attacks to disrupt their foes and if any become Panicked and try to run for it, they will give chase, dropping out of the first available liminal to strike at their unsupported target.

If facing stiff opposition, they are more than willing to flee and come back; they are more than smart enough to use their Infernal Wound ability to drain the healing spells of their opponents over a period of time.

Note: The current design of the Ankou assumes that you are using the mounting Fear rules from Heroes of Horror. If not, simply ignore the refereces to increasing fear levels. If you are using it, remember that Frightened now inflicts a -4 on checks rather than causing you to flee.

Liminal Tweening [Su]: Like many Fey, an Ankou has the ability to enter and leave the Hedge and uses this to its great advantage. The tweens that it can use are the Daily [dusk and dawn] and Physical boundaries; when stood in either those times of day or stood on the boundary between two distinct terrains [water and land, forest and plain, edge of snow etc], he may use a Swift action to enter the Hedge.

Within the Hedge, he requires a DC 38 Spot check to locate, makes no sound, has Improved Cover and a 50% miss chance. Spells that uncover invisibility reveal his location but do not negate the cover or miss chance. He cannot attack or use Spell-like abilities in the Hedge and treats everything outside as if it had cover for the purposes of observing them. Inside the Hedge, his movement is doubled. See the Sidebar on the Hedge for more details.

Silver Bells [Su]: The bells attached to the hands and robes of an Ankou are made using similar fey-craft to the arrows of a Pixie or the pipes of a satyr; their sound never seems to come from the Ankou itself, rather coming from a point randomly determined within 30ft of the character hearing them. The bells can be heard up to 30ft from the Ankou and are unaffected by wind or other noise [hence their later effects].

This sound is so potently infectious that it can breach the Hedge and grates wildly on the nerves of those who find themselves trapped in its midst. Characters in such a situation become Shaken, or have their Fear level increased by one, for 1 round [no save], unless they move at least 10ft towards a friendly character in their turn as the feeling of being watched eats away at them.

When adjacent to at least one ally, characters hearing this effect no longer have their Fear level altered but have further problems on their hands.
    This is a Sonic, Fear effect. Other fey are actually unable to hear an Ankou’s bells.

Paranoia [Ex]: If there is one thing that Ankou are good at, it’s causing mistrust and paranoia. Each character able to hear the Silver Bells that is adjacent to at least one ally must make a Will save each round with a DC equal to 16 + the number of creatures within 15ft or become obsessed with trying to protect his back from them, taking a -1 Morale penalty to Attack rolls per creature within 15ft.

If for any reason a character under the effects of Paranoia is afflicted with Confusion, they do not roll for their response, instead attacking a randomly determined adjacent target in a desperate attempt to defend themselves.

This is a Mind-Affecting Sonic Fear effect. The save is Charisma based.

Broken Trust [Su]: Fear is one thing but the Ankou has the ability to turn that fear and mistrust into a weapon in itself. In addition to those noted in the Liminal Tweening ability, the Ankou can also manipulate the Hedge boundary where a liminal between trust and distrust forms. In this manner, it can basically rotate a section of the Hedge into reality and back out of it again, supplanting a target that has wrapped itself in a mistrustful liminal.

As a Full action once every 1d4 rounds, the Ankou may briefly move into the real world from the Hedge, swapping places with a targeted individual, make an attack and then shift back, dumping the original target back in its square. Only characters that have failed their Paranoia save may be transplanted in this way.

The shock of an Ankou's shift affects both the target of his attack and the person being displaced. The displaced character must make a DC 22 save or be Confused during his next turn, due to the shock of the event. The target, even if he was prepared for the possibility, must make a Fortitude save against 10 plus the damage he suffers or be knocked prone and Frightened for 1 round. [Fortitude seems to make sense for clamping down on one's guts]. This is a Fear effect with a Charisma based save.

This ability is predictable enough that parties respond using Ready Actions in order to strike the Ankou as it displaces the obviously paranoid [an easy enough pattern to spot]. In this case, the attack is resolved normally but the unpredictable shifting and short duration grants the Ankou a 20% miss chance. If this causes an attack to miss, the attack is instead resolved against the returning character.

Incidentally, it is possible for a character to ready an action to jump out of place while in the Hedge and attempt to confront the Ankou there but this is a dangerous option as one runs the risk of becoming trapped. Fortunately, the fey are sufficiently unwelcoming that you’ll be dumped in a random location in a 1d4 mile radius within 1d6 hours if this happens; probably unharmed...

Augmented Critical [Ex]: Because of a combination of its fey-construction and the Ankou's absolute hate channelled through it, the critical threat of an Ankou's Sickle is increased to 19/x3

Infernal Wound [Ex]: Wounds caused by an Ankou, usually with his sickle, are deep and ragged, feeling like death itself. Each time a target is wounded by an Ankou's attacks, he takes 2 points of ongoing bleeding damage at the end of his turn each round. This damage is cumulative so a target wounded twice suffers 4 points of damage each round on their turn. The bleeding can be halted by the application of any form of healing magic or with a DC 15 Heal check.

Lonesome Cage [Sp]: The slit pupils of the Ankou's eyes open up, swallowing the target's mind and entrapping it in a molten field of black ooze in the shape of their greatest fears. 3/day – As Phantasmal Killer [DC 20] but causes Unconsciousness and Paralysis for 1 minute per level (Phantasm, Fear) and the target looks dead for all purposes.

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Medium Fæ Humanoid 8 CP 8
    Init: + 5 , Senses: Listen 12 , Observation 12
    Languages: Breton, French, Gaelic
    Defence: 18 Flatfooted: 10
    Hardness: n/a
    HD: 8d8 + 24 + 16 Hp: 76 Regeneration: 10/Fire
    Massive Damage: 16
    Thresholds: Green, [ 38 ] Yellow, [ 19 ] Orange, [ 3 ] Red
    Fort: + 9 Reflex: + 5 Will: + 6 Psyche: 27 Tussle: 19
    Speed: 30ft Space: 5 ft Reach: 5 ft

Melee: +9 [+4/+4] Sickle (1d6+3, 19/x3 plus Bleed)

BAB: + 6 Grapple: +9
    Special Actions:
    • Aura of Bells [Aura; 30ft aura of sound; those who hear are Shaken for one round unless they are adjacent to an ally or move 10ft towards one with their first action.]
    • Bleeding Wounds [Attack hits; target gains cumulative Bleed 2]
    • Broken Trust [Full; replace Paranoid target by tweening, make Standard action, then return. Displaced becomes Confused on return [Will 18/Neg], Attack targets are Frightened and knocked prone [Fortitude 10 + Damage/Neg]. If displaced moves, becomes stranded in the Hedge]
    • Lonesome Cage [Swift; range 30ft, Unconscious, Will 20/Neg, victim is trapped in imaginary, painful goo in the dark of their mind; Charm, Phantam.]
    • Shift [Swift; move 10ft, no AoOs, +2 Passive Defence]
    • Spring Attack [Standard; Shift for free before making another Standard action]

Abilities: Str: 17/+3 Dex: 12/+1 Con: 16/+3 Int: 10/- Wis: 15/+2 Cha: 19/+4
    SQ: Dissolve, Tweening

Feats: Ability Focus (Paranoia), Agile Dodge, Fæcraft Item (Ankou Bells, Sickle)B, Mobility, Spring Attack

Skills: Athletics +16 (Climb, Steady Stance), Intimidate +17, Listen +15, Move Silently +14

Possessions: Ankou Bells, Ankou Sickle
    Special Abilities:

Broken Trust [Su]: Fear is one thing but the Ankou has the ability to turn that fear and mistrust into a weapon in itself. In addition to those noted in the Liminal Tweening ability, the Ankou can also manipulate the Hedge boundary where a liminal between trust and distrust forms. In this manner, it can basically rotate a section of the Hedge into reality and back out of it again, supplanting a target that has wrapped itself in a mistrustful liminal.

As a Full action, the Ankou shifts into the real world from the Hedge using the unstable liminal created by the Paranoia ability, makes a Standard action, usually an attack, and then tweens back. The paranoid individual is shifted into the Hedge and then dumped back as this occurs.

The switched victim must make a DC 18 will save or become Confused for his next turn. Any attacks made by the Ankou during the switch gain a Form that knocks the target prone and Frightens them for one round [Fortitude, DC 10 + Damage deal/Negates].

The switched victim cannot act while in the Hedge unless he Readied an action to do so. The saves are Charisma based.

Dissolve: When slain, an Ankou leaves behind a full plague doctor's outfit stuffed with bracken.

Paranoia [Ex]: If there is one thing that Ankou are good at, it’s causing mistrust and paranoia. Each character able to hear the Silver Bells that is adjacent to at least one ally must make a Will save each round with a DC equal to 17 + the number of creatures within 15ft or become obsessed with trying to protect his back from them, taking a -1 Morale penalty to Attack rolls per creature within 15ft.
    If for any reason a character under the effects of Paranoia is afflicted with Confusion, they do not roll for their response, instead attacking a randomly determined adjacent target in a desperate attempt to defend themselves.
    This is a Mind-Affecting Sonic Fear effect. The save DC is 10 + Charisma modifier.

Silver Bells [Item]: The bells attached to the hands and robes of an Ankou are made using similar fey-craft to the arrows of a Pixie or the pipes of a satyr; their sound never seems to come from the Ankou itself, rather coming from a point randomly determined within 30ft of the character hearing them. The bells can be heard up to 30ft from the Ankou and are unaffected by wind or other noise [hence their later effects]. This sound is deeply unnerving; all those who hear it must be either adjacent to a friendly character or move at least 10ft towards one with their first action of their turn are Shaken until their next turn with no save, as the feeling of being watched eats away at them.

Tweening: As a Fæ, the Ankou can move between the real world and the Hedge through Physical Boundaries, The Space Beneath, Shadows and during times of dusk and dawn, through Abstract boundaries.

Greater Ankou:
    D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show

It is more than possible that the link between the Ankou and the Grim Reaper came from a sighting of a Greater Ankou. These creatures have at least 18 HD and carry large scythes with which they reap through their foes.

Infernal Scythe [Ex]: A Greater Ankou carries a powerful Fey-craft Scythe. In its hands, this behaves as a +3 scythe that deals 2d4 damage and has a Critical threat range of 18-20/x5. Wounds it causes deal 4 points of bleeding each round rather than 2. If wielded by any other character, the scythe is treated as an Ordinary Masterwork Scythe.

Reap [Ex]: When a Greater Ankou attacks, he sweeps his scythe through an arc, hitting everything in it. Choose 3 adjacent squares within the Ankou's reach; roll one attack and compare the attack roll to the defence [AC] of each square's occupant in turn. Targets take a hit if the attack roll exceeds their defence [AC]. Roll separately for each character if a critical hit is threatened; only the first successful roll confirms. Each character hit is affected individually by the Broken Trust ability if it applies.

Spell-like Abilities [Sp]: At will: Cause Fear, Scare; 3/day: Lonesome Cage

CR: 15+

Lore:
    Lower DCs represent hearsay, while higher ones [the normal Knowledge DCs] cover rare information actually useful on the hunt. Well informed, well prepared hunters have less to fear from an Ankou, but must deal with the fact that it's likely to lose interest and wander off:
    Knowledge (Local): DC/Lore
    {table=head] DC | Lore
    12 |The Ankou is a malicious spirit that comes to claim the cowardly of any given group of travellers
    17 |If you hear bells, run and hold onto your balls. Bunching up could end your life.
    22 |They use the Hedge, which is thick around here, to get the drop on you.
    27 |Ankou use fear to get their foes to bunch up and then explode from their midst
    32 |The Ankou's presence in the hedge can be detected from the corner of your eye [+2 bonus]; the bells are random, ignore them
    37 |Ankou heal fast but lack the normal fey resilience. If dragged out of their location when they appear, they are vulnerable[/table]

Knowledge (Nature): DC/Lore
    {table=head]DC | Lore
    12 |Ankou frequent bogs, marshes and forests; places with lots of different terrain types
    17 |The bells of an Ankou are made from the glint of moonlight on dew and their sickles are made of blood infused hawthorn
    22 |Ankou represent death through genesis. In some small way, they are basically the gods of Fungi.
    28 |Greater Ankou are very rare, usually only appearing in autumn
    33 | A greater Ankou can fell several humans at a time with a sweep from its great scythe. It is even more disturbing than a 'common' ankou
    38| While in the Hedge, an Ankou cannot see the ground [like most fey]; judicious use of caltrops can be highly effective
    43|The magic of this particular fey is sound based. While other noise can't drown it out, plugging your ears will offer some protection [+4 on Saves, ignore the movement requirements for Silver Bells][/table]

Plot Hooks:
    • The players, on their way to deliver an important message stumble across a burning camp on a lonely night road. They search and discover a clutch of humans and orcs huddled together, numb with fear. What could have scared them this much and where is it now?
    • Forty of the king's finest soldiers have gone missing while on patrols along the border of the Falon marshes. The Players are sent to investigate, only to discover that the kingdom has angered a fey duke who has declared war.
    • Long have legends been spread in the region of a haunted house, its broken corridors filled with unquiet tinkling of bells from the depths of the abyss. So strong is the fear of this house that no-one is known to have gone there in years. Until now; three of the village boys have gone to prove their mettle and dusk is fast approaching. Will the heroes be able to save them? Will they be able to save themselves?

Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-11-09 at 06:24 PM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

This time, I bring you a feat that serves as a prototype to the Faerie King prestige class that i'm trying to get working so i can get on with my Mythic Aberdeen project. If any of the following holdings seem too powerful [ignore the Mountain Fastness for now] let me know and if you come up with any other kinds of territory.

Obviously, basic itea is that this lets you build a little piece of territory for yourself and having it gives you powers or resources to use in battle.

Faerie Fief:
    Using skill and magic, you open up a pocket behind the Hedge; not as powerful as the realm of a Queen, but it has a population and they even pay taxes...sort of...
    Prerequisites: Fae subtype, Diplomacy or Manipulation 10 ranks
    Description: You become a Laird and gain control of a single holding, a piece of territory beyond the Hedge. The holding represents both territory and also power, as it grants you access to one benefit appropriate to the resources that it contains. A holding is effectively created by your appropriation of it; the population also comes into existence or migrates into it as a result of your status as Laird. Unless otherwise stated, you cannot conscript the members of your population, though you are welcome to attempt to recruit them into organisations by skill, or via the Leadership feat, if you wish.
    Possible Holdings:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baille Sidhe [Mound City]: A city mound is just as it sounds; a funeral cairn whose doorway leads to a small city populated by the many and mixed peoples of the fairy. The city itself is sufficiently large to have a population of five hundred, plus another hundred per royal level you possess. The people of the Baille Sidhe form a militia to protect their homes but will not form regiments.

The additional population means that you have a far greater pool of youths to recruit from for your bodyguard. Your maximum number of bodyguards increases by one, plus half of your royal level. Additionally, if you have the ability to recruit minions, you benefit from an additional point of them for each royal level you possess. If you have the ability to call Followers, you may increase your Leadership score by your royal level for the purposes of attracting followers only.

Donjon: An unassailable fairy tower, either found flying or perched precariously on a mountaintop, a Donjon is possibly the ultimate fortress. Either circular with a 40ft radius and eight floors or square and 60ft on a side with six floors, all Donjons possess a square courtyard that is 100ft on a side. Access to the Donjon is made either via rainbow bridges or hedge paths.

This holding grants a lord command over the birds that live upon it; he gains control of one swarm of diminutive birds and one swarm of tiny birds, plus four Harbinger Ravens. Each of these number increases by one for every royal level you possess. The bird swarms attack anyone who attempts to break into your tower [or out of it for that matter] automatically and both kinds may be summoned to any point within 100 miles as a Swift action. The birds arrive in the end phase of the next round and obey your orders from then on. These birds refresh at the same rate as your Bodyguard.

Ellysian Fields: Behind the tangle of the Hedge, opens up a wide, rolling vista of gentle slopes and wide meadows that are home to a vast number of hobs, sprites and fairies, living in the divisions between the beautiful fields of flowers and gently swaying grain. The sun is always warm and the wind is always sweet. These fields cover four square miles plus one square mile per royal level, with each such square mile being home to around 500 minor fairies and 1d6 more powerful protectors, such as Noonwraiths or Hags.

For each square mile of Ellysian Fields you control, you gain enough food to recruit 2 points of minions. These are subject to the normal cap of ¼ your HD, as per usual. In D&D, you gain followers, with an effective Leadership score equal to 14 + your Royal level + your Charisma. This increases by +1 if you have Donjon and further bonuses are possible with Baille Sidhe holdings.

Færie Orchard: Everyone with any knowledge of folklore has heard of the idea of magical fruit making magical wine. From these orchards are made such wines. Each orchard covers 4 acres, plus an additional acre per royal level you possess. Each acre is worked by around a hundred true fairies or sprites and is guarded by a Hag, similar to Churnmilk Peg, to prevent anyone removing unripe harvests.

Each acre of orchard you possess grants you one of the following, which are collected by a member of your bodyguard when they are summoned [those without Bodyguards will have o go collect them personally]. Each fruit may be consumed as a Standard action and grants a powerful magical effect:
    • Apple: Fairy apples heal the eater by 50hp when consumed.
    • Orange: Those rare oranges that appear in fairy stories make the eater happy and content. This adds to mental resilience. The eater gains a +5 bonus to Psyche and Fear saves and DR 5/- vs Mental damage.
    • Quince: These sweet oranges grant insight and awareness, granting a +4 bonus on Intelligence and Wisdom based skills, along with defence for one hour.
    • Pear: A pear grown in a færie orchard can cure all poisons affecting the eater instantly.
    • Walnuts: Like their hard shell, fairy walnuts render the eater tough and resilient. The eater gains DR 5/- on top of other protections he may have. This stacks with other DR/- he may possess and lasts for 10 minutes.

Haunted Ruins:
    For the cruder fairy breeds, it is not always possible to find prime real-estate in the real world; ruined castles and empty mansions are just not all that common. The end result is a funnel-web holding known as lonesome ruins. These ruins include one ruin with as many as 12 rooms, plus another 4 rooms per royal level the laird possesses. This is home to the equivalent of one ruin dwelling fæ per room of the ruins. These ruins need not be in contact with one another and can be of any height, scattered within a single square mile of terrain, making this easily one of the largest holding types. The most common types of fæ are dunters, redcaps and spriggans.

Possession of a lonesome ruin grants access to some of the bogeyman talents of their kind. The laird and his bodyguards gain a bonus to Intimidate equal to 4, +1 per royal level, when they are in concealment. Perhaps most disturbing, the Laird and his bodyguards learn the art of making themselves heard in the real world while remaining inside the Hedge; this can make for some terrifying experiences for their foes.

Hunting Lodge: Located somewhere within this holding, which spreads over ten acres plus a further ten acres per royal level you possess, is a hunting lodge complex. The complex consists of a feasting hall, stables, kennels and various outhouses and is staffed by a dozen or more fæ with decent hunting credentials. The forest around it is always full of game, something that bleeds over into the real world.

The stables of this holding grant superior mounts for yourself and your bodyguard; your mounts [see the Faerie Knight ability] gain the ability to fly by walking on air [poor manoeuvrability] at their full movement speed and the damage dealt by their natural attack is increased by one dice size. Additionally, the stables contain one Barghest, plus one additional barghest per royal level you possess. If you exceed 16 HD, these mutate into Hounds of the Wild Hunt. These beasts may be summoned in exactly the same manner as your Bodyguard and count as minions.

Lonesome Marsh: Not everything in the færie backwaters is lovely and fluffy. The ankou and their greater cousins prefer cold, humid environments full of shadows and so you find them. A haunted marsh may only exist as long as at least half its zones are in contact with a watercourse; a haunted marsh covers forty acres, plus an additional ten acres per royal level you possess and is filled with difficult terrain composed of thick reeds and shallow water. A number of lonely paths of firm ground cross the territory and the holding is tended by 1d6 ankou per 10 acres and a greater ankou for every 10 ankou present.

Possession of this holding teaches the laird a great deal about the creation and manipulation of fear. He and any bodyguards he has gain a set of ankou bells each, granting them the Silver Bells and Paranoia abilities of the Ankou. Additionally, you gain the option of selecting other ankou abilities as feats if you possess a royal level.

I have no idea how to balance this one for D&D, so i'm going to leave it hanging, i'm afraid.
    Mountain Fastness: A much resented holding, a Mountain Fastness is a small underground town carved into the materials of a mountain and hence, only found in mountain terrain. A fastness is a small town with a population of 100 plus 50 per royal level you possess, composed of a mix of dwarfs, under-goblins, gnomes, trow and dark elves.

Possession of a Fastness grants you access to superior weaponsmithing. Gain possession of a Magical Moonsilver weapon [see the Færie Knight feature] with the qualities of a Greater Fæcraft Item with a creation level of 5 plus your royal level. Your bodyguards gain a Fæcraft item with a creation level of 5 plus your royal level.
    Oberon's Guarden: While a færie orchard creates nothing but beneficial substances, the same cannot be said for the gardens made popular by the king Oberon. Inside these gardens, which cover one acre, plus a quarter acre per royal level you possess, all manner of beautiful and highly magical plants grow, carefully cultivated by over 1,000 sprites per acre. Each of these plants has some part that is useful in a potion or poison and many can be used right off the stalk.

Each quarter acre of garden you possess yields one flower with one of the following magical properties. It costs a Standard action and an attack roll to apply the substance but it provides no save [though may be Shaken Off]:
    • Black Rose: The black rose causes intense and compulsive feelings of "love" in its victim. The target becomes Fanatical about the next person they make eye contact with and will make every conceivable effort to have carnal relations with them. This lasts for one whole week, though the victim gets a Shake It Off save every time the target of their affections hurts them.
    • Larkspur: The victim becomes Confused for the next 5 minutes, though he may attempt to Shake It Off each turn.
    • Lavander: The target falls into a bewitched sleep from which they cannot be woken for 48 hours. While in this state, their skin is impervious to attack; you could try to burn them to death and all you would achieve is making them bald and naked.
    • Snapdragons: The fairy version of these has bite. The victim takes 5d10 Fire damage and is Blinded if they fail a DC 20 Reflex save.

Treetop Village: Those fæ associated with the woods and known for living in trees are also known for their isolationism, fieldcraft and archery. The village consists of 100 fæ, plus an additional 50 per royal level you possess.

A treetop village allows you to call upon a crack team of archers in battle. As a Swift action, you may direct a volley of arrows out of the Hedge at target of your choice within 120ft. These arrows are fired as a unit volley with a bonus equal to your BAB + Your Dexterity + your royal level. Additional hits count for high degrees of success as normal.

Trouping Circle: An odd territory, this holding goes back to the fairy tradition of trouping, long parades or cavalcades that weave through the lands of men and other, hidden places. A trouping circle is a piece of territory that allows for this. The territory is relatively small but covers an immense area, following a pattern made up of four connected circular routes, each one mile in radius. The actual paths are a mere chain wide [66ft] but are occupied by numerous fairies at any given time. These routes are added to as a king gains in power, adding an additional circle to the complex or enlarging an existing circle's radius by one mile for each royal level you posses. At any point, each circle will contain around 100 fæ, primarily made up of sprites, fairies and spriggans.

The power of a trouping circle is not in any yielded power but instead of how it aids communication. The holding may be entered by simply entering the Hedge within its circumference, as long as you know it is there. From there, you may travel to any point in the ring system by travelling one hundred and one steps [300ft of movement], which can be accomplished in two Run actions by unencumbered and reasonably fit humans. Similarly, you can pass a message to any point in the rings by speaking a message of no more than 20 words to one of the fairies in the ring and it will arrive at the listener in the endphase of that round with about 70% accuracy [you should see what fairies can manage with Chinese Whispers!].

Big Note: Shake It Off actions are a replacement for effect durations, used by Mecha Victoriana but work well in D&D too, according to my playtest sample:

Durations are basically infinite on conditions; you ust make Shake It Off actions to be rid of them.

Shake it off [Full]:
    Mounting Subdual damage can make even the most hardy character utterly useless in combat but a few moments breathing heavily and shaking off the worst of the discomfort is often enough to get you back in the race.

As a Full action, you may reduce your Subdual damage total by your level or your Constitution modifier, whichever is higher and neutralise all Conditions currently affecting you by making a Fortitude save, DC 20 + 1 per condition you are suffering.

Finally, a Shake It Off action may be made as a Swift action to remove a single condition. The save DC remains the same
    The end result is that combat characters can shake of conditions after only a couple of turns by burning their otherwise less useful Swift actions, while mages and such are penalised for a longer term.

Volleys follow the rules indicated in Heroes of Battle.
    Opinions on a postcard, please!
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-05-24 at 06:23 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Mermaids:

Rhine Maiden:
    The Rhine Maiden is, thanks to Richard Wagner, a common name for a type of mermaid called the Nixie. The difference here is that a true Nix is just a Shyft Horse [albeit, they seem to be surprisingly intelligent on the continent], while the females associated with them have only a few specific forms and are genuinely lovely, rather than simply tricky.

Rhine Maidens look like beautiful females from the waist up. They can change whether their lower part is that of a human or a fish; in the latter case, their fish-like heritage presses further into their appearance, removing most of their noses and growing them gills where a human's pectorals would be. Fortunately for their ruse, their gills look rather like sparkly brassieres from a distance.

Just like their Shyft Horse cousins, Rhine Maidens are predators and lead humans to drown in the river. What is not clear, is what they get out of it, as they don't appear to eat their victims, unlike the Shyft Horses…

D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Medium Humanoid [Fae, Shapechanger]
    Hit Dice: 4d8 (18 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: Swim 30ft; 30ft in human form (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 14 (+2 Dexterity, +2 Natural), touch 12, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+3
    Attack: Trident +3 melee (1d8)
    Special Attacks: Siren
    Special Qualities: Alternate Form (Human female), Aquatic, Dissolve, DR 4/Natural, Human Form, Tweening
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +2
    Abilities: Str: 10 Dex: 14/+2 Con: 10/- Int: 10/- Wis: 12/+1 Cha: 14/+2
    Skills: Bluff +22, Perform (Singing) +19, Sense Motive +8, Swim +15
    Feats: Siren, Skill Focus (Bluff)
    Environment: Rivers or Seas
    Organization: Solitary, School [3-50]
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: any
    Advancement: by character class

Combat

Dissolve: When slain, a Rhine Maiden breaks up into moss covered rocks and the waters of the Rhine or Danube.

Shroud [Su]: Rhine maidens appear to be stunningly beautiful human females, though always the same one. This applies even when they are still in hybrid form, unless they are observed by means that can pierce Glammer. While still so concealed, she gains a +10 bonus on all Charisma based skills. This is included, she is left with: Bluff +12 and Sing +9.

Tweening: A Rhine maiden may enter the Tangle by entering any suitably dense patch of weed and spending a Swift action.

Siren [General]:
    You are Adept at making things look so provocative as to draw folks to them, even against their better judgement.
    Prerequisites: Bluff 6 ranks, Skill Focus [Bluff]
    Benefit: As a Standard action, you may attempt to draw an opponent to you. Make a Bluff check with a -1 penalty per 5ft apart you are from the target and compare it to a Sense Motive Check from the target. If you win, the target moves half their speed towards you. If they encounter an obstacle, they may make a Will save, DC 11+ Cha to realise the danger and stop.

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Medium Fæ Humanoid 4 CP 2
    Init: + 4 , Senses: Listen + 1 , Observation +1
    Languages: any one Germanic or Scandinavian language
    Defence: 14 Flatfooted: 10 +2 Defence action [Swift]
    Hardness: DR 4/Natural
    HD: 4d8 + 10 Hp: 28
    Massive Damage: 10
    Thresholds: Green, [ 14 ] Yellow, [ 7 ] Orange, [ 2 ] Red
    Resist: a
    Fort: + 4 Reflex: + 4 Will: + 3 Psyche: 18 Tussle: 13
    Speed: Swim 60ft [Walk 30ft in Human form] Space: 5 ft Reach: 5 ft

Melee: +3 Trident (1d8, 19/x2)

BAB: + 3 Grapple: +3
    Special Actions:
    • Siren [Standard; make Manipulation check against 1 target, -1 penalty per 10ft separation; success draws target half move towards you, obstacles lead to Will DC 14 to stop]
    • Trident [Miss due to concealment; modify dice roll by +1d4-2.]

Abilities: Str: 10 Dex: 14/+2 Con: 10/- Int: 10/- Wis: 12/+1 Cha: 14/+2
    SQ: Aquatic, Dissolve, Tweening

Feats: Siren, Skill Focus (Manipulation)

Skills: Athletics +6 (Swim +14), Knowledge (Goegraphy) +6, Manipulation +21, Perform (Sing) +18
    Special Abilities:
    Alternate Form (Human): Rhine maidens possess the ability to adopt the form of a human female. This is patchy at best, as their unshrouded form has hardened ridges of scales and an odd, fishlike pair of eyes, not to mention a rough, patterned texture to the skin. This form allows them to move freely on land and they retain their ability to breathe water while gaining the ability to breath air. They still appear as beautiful and shapely human females thanks to their Shroud ability.

Dissolve: When slain, a Rhine Maiden breaks up into moss covered rocks and the waters of the Rhine or Danube.

Shroud [Su]: Rhine maidens appear to be stunningly beautiful human females, though always the same one. This applies even when they are still in hybrid form, unless they are observed by means that can pierce Glammer. While still so concealed, she gains a +10 bonus on all Charisma based skills. This is included, she is left with: Manipulation +11 and Sing +8.

Tweening: A Rhine maiden may enter the Tangle by entering any suitably dense patch of weed and spending a Swift action.

Lore:
    {table]DC|Information

4|Mermaids live in vast castles under the sea and rescue sailors

9|The mermaids will grant you gold and magic if you favour them with a kiss

14|Mermaids, in this case Rhine Maidens, are a breed of binary form fae that are found on the shores of large rivers and deeps streams

19|They possess an enchanted song that lures men into their clutches, to be carried away into the water, never to be seen again

24|Mermaids sometimes take on human form. They can be recognised by the wet hems of their garments and tiny pieces of weed stuck in their hair [Perception 21]. They are allergic to vinegar and will retreat if the water is contaminated with it [or you throw some in their faces].

29|The charms of a mermaid are difficult to resist. Ignoring the song doesn't help, but clenching a scrap of gold between your teeth renders you immune. Rhine maidens are reckless in their quest to regain a golden treasure lost in times past and will take stupid risks to get any gold shown to them.[/table]

Going to need this and its sister for my side project...
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-11-09 at 06:54 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Mermaid:
    Sea Witch:

The Sea Witch is a name given to a creature that shows up regularly in myth but rarely gets a proper exposure; rather like a mermaid, these creatures are the upper portion of a human female, while the portion below their waist is made up of the body core of an octopus.

Sea Witches are notable mostly for their combat prowess over that of the more tricky and seductive Rhine Maidens, not to mention their sheer cruelty in most sources. In the world of Mecha Victoriana, they are also somewhat skilled in the arts of Witchcraft, either drawing their power from a Queen or occasionally relying on sacrifice to power their abilities.

D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Large Humanoid [Aquatic, Fae, Shapechanger]
    Hit Dice: 5d8 + 10 (32 hp)
    Speed: Swim 30ft, 30ft in human form (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 22 (+3 Dexterity, +4 Mage Armour, +5 Natural Armour), touch 17, flat-footed 19
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+13
    Attack: Tentacle +5 melee (1d6+2)
    Full Attack: 4 Tentacles +5 melee (1d6+2)
    Space/Reach: 10ft/10ft [15ft w/Tentacles], 5ft/5ft in human form
    Special Attacks: Constrict (1d8+3), Hexes, Improved Grab
    Special Qualities: Alternate Form [Human Female], Dissolve, DR 5/Natural, Tweening
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +3
    Abilities: Str: 14/+2 Dex: 17/+3 Con: 14/+2 Int: 14/+2 Wis: 14/+2 Cha: 16/+3
    Skills: Bluff +Swim +21
    Feats: Grand Performance, Siren, Skill Focus (Bluff)
    Environment: Aquatic
    Organization: usually Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 5
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Usually Evil
    Advancement: by character class [Witch]

Combat
    Dissolve: If slain, a Sea Witch collapses into a collection of rotten seaweed and shell fragments.

Hexes: A Sea Witch usually possesses the Evil Eye, Charm and Misfortune hexes. All of these have Int based save DCs of 14

Spellcasting: A sea Witch has the spellcasting abilities of a 5th level Witch and possesses an Octopus familiar.
    Spells: At Will/4/3/1, Save DC 12 + spell level
    Usual spells prepared: 0: Detect Magic, Message, Putrefy Food and Drink, Touch of Fatigue
    1: Beguiling Gift, Enlarge Person, Mage Armour [already cast], Obscuring Mist
    2: Cure Moderate Wounds, Feast of Ashes, Pox Pustules
    3: Bestow Curse

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Large Fæ Humanoid 5 CP 4
    Init: -2 , Senses: Listen + 2 , Observation +2
    Languages: Any three
    Defence: 14 Flatfooted: 9
    Hardness: DR 5/Natural
    HD: 5d8 + 10 + 14 Hp: 46
    Massive Damage: 14
    Thresholds: Green, [ 20 ] Yellow, [ 10 ] Orange, [ 4 ] Red
    Fort: + 6 Reflex: -1 Will: + 4 Psyche: 24 Tussle: 22
    Speed: Swim 30ft Space: 10 ft Reach: 10 ft, 15ft w/tentacles

Melee: +4/+4/+4/+4 Tentacles (1d6+2 plus Grab)

BAB: + 3 Grapple: +13
    Special Actions:
    • Constrict [Win Grapple check or opponent fails one; opponent suffers 1d8+3 damage from crushing]
    • Improved Grab [Attack hits; compare attack roll to Tussle, if higher, grapple begins automatically, deal 1d8+3 damage due to Constrict]
    • Ink Cloud [Swift; Create a 40ft cube of black cloudy water around the witch. Grants Total Concealment.]
    • Jet [Swift; Shift 40ft; 1/5 rounds]
    • Siren [Standard; make Manipulation check against 3 targets, -1 penalty per 10ft separation; success draws target half move towards you, obstacles lead to Will DC 14 to stop]

Abilities: Str: 14/+2 Dex: 6/-2 Con: 14/+2 Int: 14/+2 Wis: 14/+2 Cha: 16/+3
    SQ: Aquatic, Dissolve, Tweening

Feats: Grand Performance, Siren, Skill Focus (Manipulation)

Skills: Athletics +2, [Swim +10], Bluff +12, Manipulation +15, Sense Motive +11, Witchcraft +11
    Special Abilities:
    Dissolve: If slain, a Sea Witch collapses into a collection of rotten seaweed and shell fragments.

Human Form:
    Defence: 15 Flatfooted: 10
    Fort: + 6 Reflex: + 2 Will: + 4 Psyche: 24 Tussle: 15
    Speed: 30ft Space: 5 ft Reach: 5 ft
    Melee: +5 Knife (1d4+2, 19/x2)
    Grapple: +5

Witchcraft [Su]: Truly gifted in the fields of Witchcraft, all Sea Witches possess either the Cultist (Witchcraft) feat or the Coven Witch feat and are capable spellcasters.

Lore:
    {table]DC:|Information:

5|Octopus people are seasoned rapists from Japanese waters

10|It you are willing to trade your voice or your joy or your love, a sea witch can grant almost any wish.

15|A sea witch is an octopus based tauric creature that lives in the waters of various areas. They possess cunning and spells

20|A particularly powerful sea witch is recorded by Anderson in The Little Mermaid. This individual is thought to have use a Riddler's Bargin to accumulate greater powers.

25|Sea Witches are unable to use their magic on anything in contact with a holy symbol that is alien to the old ways.

30|Holy water, if drunk, negates any magic that a sea witch may place upon you. If the water of a sea witch's territory is contaminated with holy water, she must make a DC 20 Will save to remain in the area each round, otherwise becoming Panicked until she is out of the area.[/table]

And there's the other one.
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-11-09 at 06:55 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

your faerie fief feat (alliteration!) is very cool. just what i needed for an npc i'm tinkering with.

EDIT: now that i'm looking at that feat and your faerie queen class among some other things, i keep seeing references to system mechanics that aren't explained. can you link to the appropriate mechanics in those? either one single link at the top of the prc or feat header––if the needed info is all together––or individual links to the individual effects/abilities/etc.

examples: magic moonsilver weapon, cultist feat, maleficareum flaw, aether pools, witchcraft skill, witchcraft spells, barrage weapons, quirks and upgrades for spirit form, flamer style attacks, toughened quality for hardness, and others.

further, i would assume that the same needs to be done for the faerie knight, though i haven't looked it over yet.

i understand that these make use of your own system, but i don't even know where links to that are, or what part of that system i should be looking for. thanks. that would make it a lot more playable for those of us that want to make use of it.
    Last edited by Stycotl; 2011-05-10 at 06:56 PM.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”