New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Fae-o-matic. You find the folklore, I make the beasty!

Okay, I've added a D&D version to the

Faerie Queen

prestige class. I know it's probably massively overpowered but honestly, it's not as if i can copy anything. Can you think of any other classes whose main schtick is granting spellcasting to a cult of minions?

Any oppinions and practical refinement suggestions would be fantastic.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

2. - Top - End - #302
    Pixie in the Playground

well the only official prestige class that comes to mind about granting spellcasting abilities to others is the fiend of blasphemy prc in the fiend folio page 200
    Last edited by Erevar; 2011-05-23 at 10:47 PM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Færie King [Unfinished]:
    There are two classes that delineate the "royals" of the fairy world. The most important, is the Queen, which is detailed later; another aspect, though less often heard of, is that of the fairy king, often spoken of as if there were only one. The most common victim of this misconception is Oberon, a being somewhat shrouded in many years of misconceptions and false convictions. While a Queen has vast magical power and the magical ability to bind another being to her service and compel them, along with supplanting her large realm onto chunks of the real world, the King is somewhat more…worldly in his gifts.

The source of a king's powers can be found with his holdings, each small, scattered pockets within the territory in the mortal realms he is able to control by force or alliance [read: marriage and obedience] with a Queen, and his bodyguards. Each of these pockets is chosen for a resource that it can provide and they are usually contested every time kings meet. The personal guard of the king, on the other hand, is a small group of knights that make up the core of his armies [if not the whole of his armies in many cases].

Prerequisites:
    In order to become a Faerie King, a character must meet the following prerequisites:
    BAB: +8
    Skills: Diplomacy or Manipulation 10 ranks
    Feats: Faerie Fief

{table]Level |
    _BAB_
    |
    _Fortitude_
    |
    _Reflex_
    |
    _Will_
    |
    _Defence_
    |
    _Holdings_
    | Special |
    Rank

1 |
    + 1
    |
    + 0
    |
    + 0
    |
    + 2
    |
    + 1
    |
    + 0
    | Bodyguards, Invader |
    Baron/Baroness

2 |
    + 2
    |
    + 1
    |
    + 1
    |
    + 3
    |
    + 2
    |
    + 1
    | Gathered Lands, Lonely Throne |

3 |
    + 3
    |
    + 1
    |
    + 1
    |
    + 3
    |
    + 3
    |
    + 0
    | For the King, Seal the Borders |

4 |
    + 4
    |
    + 2
    |
    + 2
    |
    + 4
    |
    + 4
    |
    + 1
    | |
    Lord/Lady

5 |
    + 5
    |
    + 2
    |
    + 2
    |
    + 4
    |
    + 5
    |
    + 0
    | Usurper |

6 |
    + 6
    |
    + 3
    |
    + 3
    |
    + 5
    |
    + 5
    |
    + 1
    | Sweet Puck |
    Duke/Duchess

7 |
    + 7
    |
    + 3
    |
    + 3
    |
    + 5
    |
    + 6
    |
    + 0
    | |

8 |
    + 8
    |
    + 4
    |
    + 4
    |
    + 6
    |
    + 7
    |
    + 1
    | |
    King/Queen

9 |
    + 9
    |
    + 4
    |
    + 4
    |
    + 6
    |
    + 8
    |
    + 1
    | |

10 |
    + 10
    |
    + 5
    |
    + 5
    |
    + 7
    |
    + 9
    |
    + 1
    | Stuff of Legends |
    Keeper
    [/table]

Hit Dice: d10
    Class Skills: Balance [Dex], Bluff [Cha], Climb [Str], Diplomacy [Cha], Intimidate [Str/Cha], Jump [Str], Knowledge [Nature] [Int], Knowledge [Politics] [Int], Listen [Wis], Move Silently [Dex], Observation [Wis], Ride [Dex], Sense Motive [Wis]
    Skill Points per Level: 8 + Int

Class Abilities:
    Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: Færie Kings must be proficient if they are to keep the service of their knights and squires. They gain proficiency with all non-technological, non-gunpowder weapons that they encounter. Similarly, they are proficient with all forms of armour and shield.

Bodyguards: One of the primary resources of a king is to gather a cadre of warriors to aid and defend you in battle. Each Færie King makes a point of doing so, for he cannot take it with him. Bodyguards are all Sidekicks to the king, but function rather like the Loyal Pet feat. They use the king's attack bonus, defences and saves and have a number of hit points equal to half of the king's. Each one possesses a number of generic HD equal to the king's non-Færie King levels and then the abilities of a Færie Knight of the king's royal level, gaining the appropriate class features. You may select their feats normally and they have four skills each, all maxed out.

Summoning your bodyguard to your side requires a Swift action; they arrive from the Hedge in the end phase of the next round, rolling initiative as normal. Kings possess five bodyguards as standard and can gain more depending on their class choices. Slain bodyguards are not replaced until you gain a level in a royal class, though those wounded may be summoned again after the next dawn and will be healed completely.

Invader [Su]: One of the primary driving forces for a King is to accumulate lands and increase his holdings. If a king is able to defeat the master of a holding within that holding, he may claim the holding as a spoil of war. This is sometimes done by simply hunting down and killing the lord of the Fief, for independent holdings, but between actual kings, it is more usual to engage in a Fæ Duel, with the control of that holding at stake. Obviously, queens will fight to the death for control of their extensive and powerful territories; kings who manage to claim one often become legends in their own right.

It is also possible to drive a King or Queen from their holdings or Demense; if a king is able to force them to flee for their lives and occupy the holding, using his loyal forces; he can tap into the resources of the holding just like its rightful owner can.

Gathered Lands: As a færie king is able to control a number of holdings no greater that his royal level plus the number of Færie Fief feats he possesses. At the indicated levels, he gains control of an additional holding without having to claim it from another lord [or perhaps he did so off screen].

Lonely Throne [Su]: The seat of a king's power, no pun intended, is known as a lonely throne. In the fairy world, courts are somehow separate from the king's role; the Queen administers her lands and holds courts, the king's role is to guard the realms and prevent humans from building anything that could leave too great a shadow in the Hedge. A lonely throne is a device intended to allow this; it is a literal chair located in an out of the way location in the real world in a point between the king's Holdings.

While seated in the lonely throne, a 2nd level king instantly and automatically becomes aware of any being that breaks the soil of territory within 10 miles of any one of his holdings [or those of his queen] or when any being speaks his name aloud. He may open a telepathic communication with any being that speaks his name as a Swift action. There is no range limit to this, nor a word limit. As a Move action, he may Scry upon any area within his sensed territory, viewing a 100ft radius around the target point.

For the King [Ex]: The purpose of a bodyguard is to protect you; at 3rd level, the king gains the ability to shelter behind his bodyguards, allowing them to take some of the damage directed at him. While he is adjacent to at least one of his bodyguards, he may, as a Free action, transfer half of the damage dealt by an attack [before hardness and damage reduction] to one of his bodyguards. He may use this ability no more than once per turn per bodyguard.

Seal the Borders [Su]: As a Full action, a 3rd level king may seal off the borders of his realm, making escape impossible; this applies primarily in the real world, though it also extends into the Hedge as well. Sealing the borders requires a Full action that must be taken while the king is upon his throne. At higher levels, it is possible to use the king's Sceptre for a similar purpose.

Sealing the Borders has a number of effects, which affect a border that stands ten miles from the edges of the Holdings the king is responsible for, along with the territory inside this border:
    1. Firstly, all Passages within the warded territory cease to operate, denying access to the holdings in the area unless the seeker knows precisely where to look in the Hedge.
    2. Second, the Rites of Passage are revoked, meaning that fæ no longer treat the Hedge as open ground and find themselves mired in its difficult terrain. This does not apply to the king or his bodyguards.
    3. Finally, a barrier forms along the boundary that prevents mortal and fæ alike from crossing it. This may be made a complete barrier or it could be permeable from one side. Select one of the following barriers; this decision may not be changed. The visual characteristics are altered to suit the nature and court of the king, if applicable.
      • Confusion Barrier: A bank of fog or mirage forms along the border, preventing folk from passing through it. This effect is a combination of Glammer and Charm effects; anyone who enters the fog gets turned around and comes out of it facing the direction they came from within 1d100 yards of where they started. Only immunity to both Charm and Glammer will allow a character to pass successfully.
      • Heat Barrier: A wall of flame, a raging wildfire or just a wall of shimmering heat haze blocks the limits of the territory. Attempting to cross the barrier deals 1d6 Subdual damage to the character per royal level of the king [Fortitude, DC 10 + Royal Level + the king's Constitution modifier/Half] on the first round. If the character attempts to push further, they are subjected to 1d6 Fire damage that ignores hardness on the next two rounds. There is no save to reduce this but they must pass a Will save at the same DC of be forced to stagger back out of the barrier. Successfully enduring the barrier for two rounds grants freedom.
      • Impenetrable Barrier: A wall of trees, brambles or possibly even gigantic paintings springs up along the border. While the paintings may just go all the way up, the others are enforced against flying creatures by vast swarms of birds whose entire behaviour is to grapple the target and weigh them down until they fall out of the sky. Otherwise, no matter how much damage you deal to the barrier, you never manage to penetrate it. The only manner in which this barrier may be bypassed is to somehow go under it.
      • Resistant Barrier: A rare option, the whole territory the king controls fills with a magical fog or turns to mire or some similar limitation to movement. Those within the field are Entangled, making every piece of terrain in the area one grade more difficult to transverse for them, and treat the terrain as being covered by thick fog, limiting visibility to 15ft and putting everything within that range in Concealment. The king and his nominated agents are immune to these effects, allowing them to rapidly hunt down the cause of the commotion.
      • Thoughtful Barrier: Purely illusionary, the Thoughtful Barrier convinces folks that they're doomed if they try to cross it. Like many barriers, it takes three rounds to cross the thoughtful barrier and each round the character must make a Will save, DC 10 + Royal Level + the king's Constitution modifier, or turn back, gripped with the conviction that doom awaits. This is both a Fear effect and a Charm effect that plays on the target's memories and rational mind. It can be negated only by those immune to both.

Sweet Puck: Every king needs a companion and in fairy stories, that is often the role of a Puck or similar. In any case, the king gains a cohort fairy; this assistant is a fairy from any one breed whose HD cannot be greater than your own -2. This character then gains a +4 bonus on one mental stat and +2 bonuses on the other two. Finally, sufficient character levels are added to bring the creature up to your HD -2. The creature functions normally as a Sidekick, though he will take his actions out of your sight, making him somewhat unpredictable.

If given a direct order to do so, a cohort may sit in the Lonely Throne, though most of them dislike doing so.

Usurper [Su]: Some kings, you should never invite to parties… Once a king reaches nth level, he gains the power of the usurper. As long as he is present in someone else's holding, that person cannot use any of the gifts that would normally be conveyed by that holding unless they are already active i.e. he cannot call for his sword from a Mountain Fastness, summon additional bodyguards from a Baille Sidhe, nor demand apples from his Orchard. This applies only to the land rather than Touchstones or Demenses and it doesn't make it any easier to get past the passive defences of a Donjon or a Castle.

Stuff of Tales [Su]: Those who reach this height become roguish legends, aided by even more roguish companions. At 10th level, both the king and his Cohort gain the Heritor of Robin-hood template, becoming the stuff of legends.

At present, this is very much WIP. I'm putting it up so that folks can maybe chip in some suggestions as to what it might do. The idea is that it comes with a bunch of bodyguards, who are basically using the king's stats aside from damage, and have half his hp, and then has some abilities that allow them to serve alongside him fluidly: my goal, oddly enough, it to avoid the king taking a million times longer to take his turn than everyone else... abilities that expend the actions of the bodyguards for combined actions with him are A-Okay...
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Do the Menehune, please? Polynesian fey, supposedly the original inhabitants of the islands, who build roads, walls, temples, fishponds, houses and so on overnight.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91
    Homebrew:
    Anglermaids

Wendigo Race
    -Complicated Wendigo Race
    False Hydra (Goblin Punch)

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I know its been a while since I commented this thread.

I like the D&D Mermaid, Rhine Maiden but 2 things. First, it should have the Shapechanger subtype and second, you didn't spell out its special attack: Siren.
    Obviously it is a charming song that leads sailors to their doom but I'd love to see your details on this. Would it be similar to the MV version?

The Mermaid, Sea Witch should also have the Shapechanger Subtype.

Also, the Bestow Curse Special Attack isn't spelled out in the D&D version of the tokoloshe.

The D&D version of the Alp is way too powerful for CR 2. Nightmare spell is CL 9. I recommend losing it and keeping just the bestow curse spell for Nightmare Curse (failure should cause a creature to become Panicked and cower for 1d4 rounds). Ability Focus (Nightmare Curse) gives it the +2 bonus. Giving it both Evil Eye and Nightmare curse puts it over the top. I think you should remove Evil Eye altogether.

Nightmare Curse (Sp): As a Swift Action while grappling with a foe, the Alp can inflict horrible nightmares as bestow curse. Recipients of this curse must make a Reflex save (DC 15) or become Panicked and cower for 1d4 rounds. The save is charisma-based and includes a +2 racial bonus.

Even though you state it is weak, it isn't for its CR. I would add this to make it a bit easier to defeat but not kill.

Tarnkappe Dependent: If an Alp’s hat is removed from its head, it is immediately thrust back into the Hedge and cannot leave it replaces its hat. The hat has confers no magical abilities on anyone other than the Alp to whom it belongs.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-05-25 at 08:30 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    I know its been a while since I commented this thread.

I like the D&D Mermaid, Rhine Maiden but 2 things. First, it should have the Shapechanger subtype and second, you didn't spell out its special attack: Siren.
    Obviously it is a charming song that leads sailors to their doom but I'd love to see your details on this. Would it be similar to the MV version?

The Mermaid, Sea Witch should also have the Shapechanger Subtype.

Also, the Bestow Curse Special Attack isn't spelled out in the D&D version of the tokoloshe.

The D&D version of the Alp is way too powerful for CR 2. Nightmare spell is CL 9. I recommend losing it and keeping just the bestow curse spell for Nightmare Curse (failure should cause a creature to become Panicked and cower for 1d4 rounds). Ability Focus (Nightmare Curse) gives it the +2 bonus. Giving it both Evil Eye and Nightmare curse puts it over the top. I think you should remove Evil Eye altogether.

Nightmare Curse (Sp): As a Swift Action while grappling with a foe, the Alp can inflict horrible nightmares as bestow curse. Recipients of this curse must make a Reflex save (DC 15) or become Panicked and cower for 1d4 rounds. The save is charisma-based and includes a +2 racial bonus.

Even though you state it is weak, it isn't for its CR. I would add this to make it a bit easier to defeat but not kill.

Tarnkappe Dependent: If an Alp’s hat is removed from its head, it is immediately thrust back into the Hedge and cannot leave it replaces its hat. The hat has confers no magical abilities on anyone other than the Alp to whom it belongs.

Debby
    Rhine Maiden, check - also copied the Siren feat into yet another entry...

Sea Witch, check

Tokoloshe, check

Alp - I've removed Weapon Finesse, replaced Evil Eye with a Slow effect rather than the permenant Bestow Curse [honestly didn't think it was permanent] and added in a tarnkappe weakness, though a different one from yours. Worth noting that the CL on everything defaults to 2 because that's the Alp's HD; the Dreaming Curse power is pretty dispellable...

Edit: oh, and hello, welcome back to the fold.
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-05-25 at 03:43 PM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

my critique of the faerie queen prestige class.

no prerequisites

MV Class Skills: Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Str/Cha), Knowledge [All skills, taken individually] (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Observation (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Witchcraft (Wis)
    "MV class skills," and a number of skills that aren't canon. ought to explain or link to an explanation.

Courtly Patron: Being a Færie Queen is about forming a symbiotic relationship with her court and establishing a base of cultists within it. Like a god, she can grant spells to various petitioning clerics or druids. For each follower she intends to empower, she must "lock" a spell slot with a level equal to the petitioner's caster level. Doing so grants the petitioning character their full allocation of spells for the day.
    first, why just clerics and druids? why clerics at all?

second, how does this interact with the spells already granted to druids and clerics? or do they get all of their spells from now on granted by her?

what happens when the petitioner reaches 10th level? does the queen have to start sacrificing epic level spell slots?

third, that could get costly with multiple followers, unless i'm reading the next part right:

In exchange, she gains a bonus to her primary casting stat equal to the modifier the petitioner possesses in that stat, to a maximum of half their caster level, for purposes of bonus spell slots and save DCs [in effect, petitioners can become self sustaining if you have enough competent ones]. This does not grant you higher level spell access if you are capped.
    does this mean that if i have three level 6 petitioners with +3 modifiers in the same stat, and i sacrifice three spell slots of the appropriate level that i gain a +9 bonus to that ability score?

Finally, the Queen may spend a Swift action at any time to strip a given petitioner of their remaining spells for the day, adding them to her current spells known, in exchange for the loss of the bonus to save DCs. Capricious Queens have been known to repeatedly taunt middling skilled witches with power, only to revoke it instantly, just to trade a high level slot for a far larger number of lower level ones.
    i realize that you only specified clerics and druids above, but how would that interact with spontaneous casters? like a spontaneous druid variant or something?

for a swift act, she gains every remaining spell that a petitioner has access to? off the bat, it sounds overpowered. in the end, i don't think it is, except that it apparently strips someone of all of their spells, and except for the purposes of other abilities that let you burn spell slots for high or uncapped bonuses.

also, is this a (Su) effect or something else?

Demesne [Su]: At second level, the Færie Queen begins the process of founding a realm, or Demesne, beyond the Hedge. This realm consists of a number of square miles equal to the square of the Queen's royal level [(Færie Queen plus Færie King)2]; the minimum size of a building block that the queen may use in assembling the realm is an acre. There are 640 acres in a Square mile; a section may never be narrower than a Chain, 1/80 of a mile or 66ft. As standard, acres are one furlong, 1/8 mile, long and one chain, 1/10 furlong, wide. A Demesne can contain any terrain that the Queen wishes and it grows organically based on the number of members in the court, adding 1 acre to its area per HD of fæ in the court [round up and guess for the most part here]. At this stage, the Queen may dictate the terrain and conditions when they form and could alter them using magic but has no control over them once the pocket realm has formed.
    i'd just stick with one measurement if i were you. you're making it overcomplicated for people that by and large are never going to care what a chain or a furlong is. meters or feet would be optimal.

Characters with the correct incantations can travel between the Demesne and the real world as a Full action without having to transverse the Hedge.
    like which correct incantations? link would be nice.

Holdings: In addition to the above qualities of a Queen's Realm [the compound term for the three different levels of the Demesne], the realm also includes the Queen's original Færie Fief gained holdings.
    i'm assuming that this is a prereq now.

Touchstone: A Touchstone is the core of a Demesne and the core of a court. Prior to this point, the queen is able to hold allegiance with force or goodwill but when the Touchstone is founded, she can cause her members to swear allegiance to her. In the centre of a 3rd level Færie Queen's Demesne, a large stone forms; sometimes this is carved into an exquisite statue or fountain but at others it is simply an ugly lump of stone. Once per season, members of the court come in to swear allegiance to the Queen by placing their hand on the stone and swearing a simple but unique oath. Once this is done, the Queen gains a further bonus to her casting stat [identical to that of the Courtly Patron feature] equal to 1/10 of the HD within her court and can tell instantly when one of them is slain, knowing the exact location.
    this seems way too powerful. with just 100 1st-level followers, that is already a +10 bonus to an ability score.

also, the phrase "equal to 1/10 of the HD within her court" is somewhat vague. can she add followers from the leadership feat that she has live in her court? prisoners?

Æther
    where's a reference?

By spending ten minutes and 100 spell levels, she may shunt her Mansion into the real world,
    100 spell levels? that is pricy. also, how long does this last?

A Queen of this power level may have a number of vassal Queens equal to her Charisma modifier [which can get pretty high]. Each vassal grants her a number of floating "metamagic levels" equal to their Queen level. These may be applied to spells being cast as a Swift action to apply metamagic feats the Queen knows, though they may never raise a spell's level above the highest level the queen knows +1.
    awkwardly worded. i think you are saying that she can use metamagic cheaper, but there are better ways to phrase that. also, 1/cha mod could get crazy powerful, as i am assuming you mean per spell she is going to cast. i'd drop it to per day, so that she has a fixed number of metamagic points that she can use to make her metemagic spells more affordable each day. per spell is insanely powerful, if i am indeed reading this ability correctly.

In exchange, the tenents are able to demand one spell slot from you at any time, though no more often than once per day per point of their primary casting stat. Doing so grants them additional spells as if they had revoked a full compliment of spells from a petitioner with a caster level equal to the spell slot they took from you.
    that is also huge. this is more or less granting a renewal of one of the most powerful class features in the game multiple times per day. and considering that most of your followers are likely to be faeries or other high-charisma characters, they can do it often.

also, how are spell lists determined here? this is different than the earlier similar ability, because you aren't stripping someone specific of the spells they have remaining. you are just taking all of the hypothetical spell slots that they could cast that day.

There are also defensive features which are powered by her spell reserves, dealing 2d10 damage per spell level used, though they are aimed and operated by crews of 5 of her minions [large creatures counting as 4 medium ones].
    what spell level used?

From this point on, she may call upon all spells known by her vassals and their cultists, effectively allowing her to cast spells spontaneously from her class' full spell list [within limits].
    using her spell slots still, or not? and within what limits? don't say something like that if you aren't going to delineate them.

Unlike previously, she has a greater control over her Vassals, allowing her to force a Geas of "Cannot disobey the commands of a specific individual [letter, not intent]" from the Geas menu onto them, in relation to her commands.
    is there a specific action required to do this, or is it just assumed that this takes place once you reach this level?

An Autumn fæ adds it's Cha modifier to its Critical Threat Range for attacks and to the DC of any ability that requires a save.
    should give it a limit in order to negate 2-20 crit ranges on high-charisma characters. also, does this stack with keen and similar effects?

The star fæ gain two abilities: firstly, they may switch forms into that of a Spirit [Incorporeal] as a Full action. They may remain in their dream-form for as long as they please. They may buy Quirks and Upgrades [D&D: feats and Salient abilities from Libris Mortis] for their Spirit form if they wish, but gain no extras.
    what salient abilities? i can't find mention of them in the book. and how do we judge how many feats they can get? do they just switch out normal feats for undead feats in dream form?

Dark water fæ exemplify the capriciousness of the ocean. They all possess a rapid Swim speed of 50ft and the Aquatic subtype, making them able to exist in their realm, but their greatest danger is their ability to mimic the storm effect, Green Water.
    what is green water? is that from stormwrack, and if so, what page?

over all, i am very interested in seeing it polished. i have already started using the MV version, adapting it where i could to d&d, but this will work better. i like the flavor quite a bit, and most of the mechanical issues are about clarification and not a big deal.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stycotl View Post
    my critique of the faerie queen prestige class.
    Gawdamnit, i'd forgotten how labourious it is to respond to these multi quote things.
    no prerequisites
    Still haven't decided on them. Faerie Fief seems relevant but most other things are difficult to decide on. The MV version is easy, though i'm still umming and ah-ing but D&D has not been my chosen field for a long time.

Prepared Spellcaster with 5th level spells and Faerie Fief at minimum. Probably 13 ranks of Spellcraft and at least one other skill.
    "MV class skills," and a number of skills that aren't canon. ought to explain or link to an explanation.
    No need, that's a copy paste error.

first, why just clerics and druids? why clerics at all?
    Because in MV, it's Witches, which are similar to clerics but draw power from more minor entities [fae, demons, the dead etc] but the Pathfinder Witch doesn't draw power from anywhere, using Arcane power for some reason. The seemed the best fit. If you have a suggestion, i'm all ears.
    second, how does this interact with the spells already granted to druids and clerics? or do they get all of their spells from now on granted by her?
    The idea is that you build a small cult. You replace the original patron, assuming they had one. Suggest how to better word it and i'll switch it. What's in it for the switchee? Got me there. In MV, the cultists draw on your actual AEther pool [mana if i didn't know what that actually meant] and you can refresh yours by ripping life out of them.
    what happens when the petitioner reaches 10th level? does the queen have to start sacrificing epic level spell slots?
    Yes
    third, that could get costly with multiple followers, unless i'm reading the next part right:
    ...ok, i have no idea how you could read that this way...

does this mean that if i have three level 6 petitioners with +3 modifiers in the same stat, and i sacrifice three spell slots of the appropriate level that i gain a +9 bonus to that ability score?
    You would have to sacrifice at least six slots for six petitioners. You then gain a bonus equal to half their CL or their Stat bonus [whichever is lower] to your primary casting stat. Assuming your petitioners were levels 1, 3, 4, 5, 7 and 9, you'd have to sacrifice slots of those levels but would get a bonus of +13 [+1, +1, +2, +2, +3, +3, in order] to your casting stat.
    i realize that you only specified clerics and druids above, but how would that interact with spontaneous casters? like a spontaneous druid variant or something?
    I specified those two classes to avoid this kind of thing. As a result, I wouldn't say that they could power a spontaneous caster.
    for a swift act, she gains every remaining spell that a petitioner has access to? off the bat, it sounds overpowered. in the end, i don't think it is, except that it apparently strips someone of all of their spells, and except for the purposes of other abilities that let you burn spell slots for high or uncapped bonuses.
    I can't think of any examples that let you bundle spell slots together like that. Can you point me to some?

The ability is as much a means of punishing your petitioners as it is of regaining ammo. They can't have levels anywhere near your own, so i didn't think the glut of low level, prepaired and filled spell slots were an issue.
    also, is this a (Su) effect or something else?
    Supernatural sounds good.
    i'd just stick with one measurement if i were you. you're making it overcomplicated for people that by and large are never going to care what a chain or a furlong is. meters or feet would be optimal.
    The reason was the numbers. Ever seen the listing of how many square feet or metres there are in a mile? I did start out like this but having an additional 64,000 square feet for every hit dice of bound allies you have seemed ridiculous. Acres are nice. I'll stick with acres and trim the furlongs.
    like which correct incantations? link would be nice.
    There's text missing from Faerie Fief. I'll get to that.
    i'm assuming that this is a prereq now.
    Yep
    this seems way too powerful. with just 100 1st-level followers, that is already a +10 bonus to an ability score.
    I shhall possibly reconsider. May just limit the stat bonusto bonus spells rather than DCs as well. You are supposed to be legitimately godlike, mind.
    also, the phrase "equal to 1/10 of the HD within her court" is somewhat vague. can she add followers from the leadership feat that she has live in her court? prisoners?
    This is an add on to the Touchstone ability, which defines the court as those who swear allegience at the beginning of the season. So, yes and no.
    where's a reference?
    It's a missed reference. Will read "five spell levels" in a few minutes.
    100 spell levels? that is pricy. also, how long does this last?
    I shall change it to "to or from the mortal world." Yes, it is pricy, but it's a DC 50+ Epic spell effect too...
    awkwardly worded. i think you are saying that she can use metamagic cheaper, but there are better ways to phrase that. also, 1/cha mod could get crazy powerful, as i am assuming you mean per spell she is going to cast. i'd drop it to per day, so that she has a fixed number of metamagic points that she can use to make her metemagic spells more affordable each day. per spell is insanely powerful, if i am indeed reading this ability correctly.
    erm...your solution seems, to me, to be exactly what's written there anyway. I'm not sure how you got your understanding of it...
    that is also huge. this is more or less granting a renewal of one of the most powerful class features in the game multiple times per day. and considering that most of your followers are likely to be faeries or other high-charisma characters, they can do it often.
    If you can think of a better way of doing it, cool. This was a stopgap from how the ability works in MV. Maybe just allow them to draw on your spells directly every so often.
    also, how are spell lists determined here? this is different than the earlier similar ability, because you aren't stripping someone specific of the spells they have remaining. you are just taking all of the hypothetical spell slots that they could cast that day.
    Interesting question. I'll muse. My above option may be preferable all around.
    what spell level used?
    The artillery on the castle are supposed to draw from your spell slots. Again, a D&Dizing of a much simpler abiliy. I'll look into thhe wording.
    using her spell slots still, or not? and within what limits? don't say something like that if you aren't going to delineate them.
    Relic. Thought i'd deleted that.
    is there a specific action required to do this, or is it just assumed that this takes place once you reach this level?
    Assumed to apply when you need it to.
    should give it a limit in order to negate 2-20 crit ranges on high-charisma characters. also, does this stack with keen and similar effects?
    No, it doesn't stack. The usual line is that nothing stacks with those things unless explicitly stated so i didn't know i needed to say anything. Any suggestions on limits [not that i've ever heard of a +19 on Charisma below god-like levels and by that point, who cares?]?
    what salient abilities? i can't find mention of them in the book. and how do we judge how many feats they can get? do they just switch out normal feats for undead feats in dream form?
    There are salient abilities for everything else, i just assumed there were some. It states that you don't get any extra, so aside from gaining HD, the only way you're getting some is to retrain.
    what is green water? is that from stormwrack, and if so, what page?
    Green water is from Stormwrack, but i can't access my copy atm. It's in the hazards section at the front. It's fast flowing wash that surges across the deck deep enough that the blue of the water turns the deck green in colour. Throw you right over. The mechanics are there, what they are, so i didn't see the need...

over all, i am very interested in seeing it polished. i have already started using the MV version, adapting it where i could to d&d, but this will work better. i like the flavor quite a bit, and most of the mechanical issues are about clarification and not a big deal.
    To give you the background, this class, like all casters, is a lot weaker in MV. Imagine doubling the spell level on everything and then adjusting the weak stuff down by a level and you get the MV spell levels. A caster gets a supply of AEther, which is measured in spell levels, per encounter. The queen's actual abilities are supposed to be that the petitioners can use her AEther, but she can refill her pool by one point per petitioner as a Full action.

The vassal queens are basically just petitioners but instead of dribs and drabs, the empress can pull any amount of AEther she want's out of there pool into her own.

With such different mechanics, it's difficult to draw parallels, as you might imagine.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Gawdamnit, i'd forgotten how labourious it is to respond to these multi quote things.
    fun times, eh?

Still haven't decided on them. Faerie Fief seems relevant but most other things are difficult to decide on. The MV version is easy, though i'm still umming and ah-ing but D&D has not been my chosen field for a long time.

Prepared Spellcaster with 5th level spells and Faerie Fief at minimum. Probably 13 ranks of Spellcraft and at least one other skill.
    well, tell me at what level you are wanting them to get in at and then modify prereqs and abilities to that level.

the problem that i see right off of the bat is that you say you want epic-level, goddess-level abilities in what i am presuming is meant to be a pre-epic prc. that doesn't jive. i'll get more in to that with specific responses.

Because in MV, it's Witches, which are similar to clerics but draw power from more minor entities [fae, demons, the dead etc] but the Pathfinder Witch doesn't draw power from anywhere, using Arcane power for some reason. The seemed the best fit. If you have a suggestion, i'm all ears.
    this is more of a flavor thing for me, but i think it makes sense: most fae have little to nothing to do with clerics and gods and stuff––especially in d&d––with the exception of their regents. i don't think clerics fit, but i do think that sorcerers fit. but that complicates your system that is currently built off of prepared spell users.

...ok, i have no idea how you could read that this way...

...You would have to sacrifice at least six slots for six petitioners. You then gain a bonus equal to half their CL or their Stat bonus [whichever is lower] to your primary casting stat. Assuming your petitioners were levels 1, 3, 4, 5, 7 and 9, you'd have to sacrifice slots of those levels but would get a bonus of +13 [+1, +1, +2, +2, +3, +3, in order] to your casting stat.
    i mentioned three petitioners; that is why i asked if i'd sacrifice three different spell levels.

so for those sacrificed spell slots, you gain a +12 to your primary casting stat? that seems overpowered to me. i'd cap it somewhere.

it also seems needlessly compex. i'd just say, add half of their caster level. but again, i'd cap it, either the bonus, or how many petitioners she can have. maybe say +1 per petitioner to a maximum of 1/2 your caster level or something. or one petitioner per 2 caster levels and then make the bonus +1/petitioner.

I can't think of any examples that let you bundle spell slots together like that. Can you point me to some?
    i know that there are some, but i couldn't remember any off of the top of my head. hence the generalized nature of the warning.

i'd still cap it somewhere.

The ability is as much a means of punishing your petitioners as it is of regaining ammo. They can't have levels anywhere near your own, so i didn't think the glut of low level, prepaired and filled spell slots were an issue.
    i suppose if you are now the primary entity granting their spells, then this makes sense.

The reason was the numbers. Ever seen the listing of how many square feet or metres there are in a mile? I did start out like this but having an additional 64,000 square feet for every hit dice of bound allies you have seemed ridiculous. Acres are nice. I'll stick with acres and trim the furlongs.
    sticking with acres is fine. i just thought it overly complex to make people calculate acres, furlongs, [i]and[/] miles all in the same ability.

I shhall possibly reconsider. May just limit the stat bonusto bonus spells rather than DCs as well. You are supposed to be legitimately godlike, mind.
    this is primarily where i want to know what your goal is on level of entrance. do you want 6th level, 11th level, or 21st level characters taking the first level of this class? if it is meant to be pre-epic, then don't give it epic abilities.

if you want to give it abilities that continue to scale nicely even into epic, that is fine. but saying that a 12th level character should be "legitimately godlike" is nonsensical in my mind. it is possible to build a system where the character serves a similarly flavorful role (though on a much smaller scale) without actually getting all of the phenomenal cosmic power.

sure, some bonuses to a caster stat aren't all that a god is made of, but when you're already getting a +10 or so to your primary caster stat from your 1st level ability, and then you add on another +10 for 100 followers, or +20 for 200, etc, then you quickly cross the realm into what should be epic level play, not 12th level.

erm...your solution seems, to me, to be exactly what's written there anyway. I'm not sure how you got your understanding of it...
    A Queen of this power level may have a number of vassal Queens equal to her Charisma modifier [which can get pretty high]. Each vassal grants her a number of floating "metamagic levels" equal to their Queen level. These may be applied to spells being cast as a Swift action to apply metamagic feats the Queen knows, though they may never raise a spell's level above the highest level the queen knows +1.
    the issue is that you don't specify what those floating metamagic levels are applied to. is it 1 floating level/vassal queen/day, or 1 floating level/vassal queen/encounter, or what? i ask because right now it seems like this is applied to every spell she casts––that each spell gets a number of free metamagic levels equal to the number of vassal queens she controls.

If you can think of a better way of doing it, cool. This was a stopgap from how the ability works in MV. Maybe just allow them to draw on your spells directly every so often.
    i don't know anything about the MV version. i just know that this seems to be overpowered, and a bit confusing too.

In exchange, the tenents are able to demand one spell slot from you at any time, though no more often than once per day per point of their primary casting stat. Doing so grants them additional spells as if they had revoked a full compliment of spells from a petitioner with a caster level equal to the spell slot they took from you.
    they steal a spell level from her, 1/day/ability mod, but that single spell slot more or less refreshes their spell lists up to the level of the spell she gives them?

that seems way too good. the druid or cleric uses up all of their spells for the day, then demands one of her queen's spells, and suddenly has all of her 4th level and lower spells refreshed.

a suggestion: the queen already has a bunch of petitioners, and now these vassals are kind of similar. just require the vassals to be petitioners in their own right (which it already sounds like you are doing fluff-wise, just not rule-wise), and then say that 1/day/ability mod, they can access that spell slot that the queen sacrificed for them. for one round, the queen suffers some kind of penalty (not sure whether or not adjusting the new ability score each time this happens would be worth the hassle), and the vassal gets to cast spells at higher caster level, or gets to cast a higher spell level than normal, or something else.

No, it doesn't stack. The usual line is that nothing stacks with those things unless explicitly stated so i didn't know i needed to say anything.
    ok, sounds reasonable.

Any suggestions on limits [not that i've ever heard of a +19 on Charisma below god-like levels and by that point, who cares?]?
    not that hard to come by, especially with templates, and even more especially with templates and gestalt. also, you're dealing with fae, so they will automatically be relatively high-charisma creatures to begin with.

but either way, don't allow godlike power if it is meant to be sub-epic. i'd honestly just add half the queen's class level to the crit threat range if that is the kind of effect you want.

There are salient abilities for everything else, i just assumed there were some. It states that you don't get any extra, so aside from gaining HD, the only way you're getting some is to retrain.
    i still don't know what salient abilities you are talking about. the only salient abilities i know of are the divine ones that divine beings get.

Green water is from Stormwrack, but i can't access my copy atm. It's in the hazards section at the front. It's fast flowing wash that surges across the deck deep enough that the blue of the water turns the deck green in colour. Throw you right over. The mechanics are there, what they are, so i didn't see the need...
    not everyone has that book. i'd just post the mechanics of it, or something close, and leave it at that.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

I've made some considerable edits to the class so that things will become a little clearer.

The only one i want to clear up from the above is that the rules for Green Water in Stormwrack and the rules used in the class are different. I meant there was no need to describe them as the affiliation already describes the mechanics the ability uses.

I've cleaned up the metamagic and the Tenant's ability to draw from you and i'm still not sure about what sort of cap would need to be placed on what.

The trouble with the Petitioner spellcasting is that there needs to be at least enough benefit to offset the action of using the power, otherwise, no Queen would ever bother. That's a difficult calculation. You seem to be better with the numbers of silliness [i found high op games horribly dull and stopped playing in them] so i'll accept your recommendations without issue.

I'll give the Autumn Fae half their HD on their Threat Range, perhaps? Seems duller to me, though...dunno why.

If I talk about "god-like" assume i'm not talking about the D&D 3.0 rules. They're a mess; I'm more talking about things that would lead folks to pray to stuff or pray to other things to keep them away. Faerie Queens should inspire that...they're virtually gods to their worshipers, control the weather, can make the crops grow etc...that's worth a shrine, isn't it?

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

Applying for an oceangoing game and having just started reading a new book (Changelings) I'm struck immediately by the thought of playing a Selkie. There is a version in Fiend Folio thats supposedly PC usable but I figured I'd venture to ask for a homebrew version thats clearer and better. Now to original folklore it seems the transformation involves a sealskin when they assume a human form, I'm unsure whether or not it would fit into a DnD adaptation. Perhaps two versions? Loosing the skin would certainly be a large penalty. The book I'm reading seems to suggest (haven't gotten to far in it yet) that they turn into selkies when exposed to water, and have to learn how to not transform at the slightest splash, so perhaps a will save to not transform on exposure to a certain amount of water would be an interesting addition. Hell maybe even some sort of wereform could be worked out. I don't know I'm just bantering ideas about for the time being.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Bugbear in the Playground

If i could may i suggest adding the Bashe to your list.
    The Bashe was a snake who ate elephants in Chinese mythology

Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bashe
    ARRRRGH, I'm a pirate, ninjas are no match for me, Yargh!
    Also this awesome avatar was done by KillItWithFire

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

@userpay: Selkie-Folk, I can do. The version you'll be provided with is the cursed, Aquaman style Atlantean types with the Loup-de-Noir pelt magic.

They're technically humans with hereditary training in magic item crafting [for their pelts, and expression of their curse] and an inability to remain on land for too long.

Would maybe one/two levels of Racial Class be okay instead of a conventional race? I reckon I could do more with that and you can have a little more freedom in your concepts by choosing the primary race then.

Selkie on the list.

@smasher0404: Can you find anything more on it? I know that Chinese texts from the old days have an annoying habit of assuming you already know what the author is talking about but that's not really giving me anything to work with...Big snake could just be a Colossal constrictor with swallow whole and its treasure in the form of medicinal properties for its corpse...

I'll happily add it to the list once i know what to do with it...

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    @userpay: Selkie-Folk, I can do. The version you'll be provided with is the cursed, Aquaman style Atlantean types with the Loup-de-Noir pelt magic.

They're technically humans with hereditary training in magic item crafting [for their pelts, and expression of their curse] and an inability to remain on land for too long.

Would maybe one/two levels of Racial Class be okay instead of a conventional race? I reckon I could do more with that and you can have a little more freedom in your concepts by choosing the primary race then.

Selkie on the list.
    Certainly! I look forward to it.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Selkie-folk:

Long ago, a tribe of Scots entered into a challenge with a powerful fæ, probably one of the Blue Men; the results were a curse that has defined their clan ever since. The Selkie or Roane [ROH-n] are fairly commonly encountered, though only the superstitious ever notice; aside from the Common Seal, all of the seals around Scotland's northern coast are Selkie.

Now, the Roane are exiled to the depths of the North Sea, dwelling in a complex of air filled chambers in the bedrock. Their "city" can be accessed only via the waters and a set of air-lock chambers; there is no access to the surface from their city, instead, they have to make their way using enchanted seal skins that are a part of their curse. The colour of these seal skins is actually indicative of their caste within the Roane tribes: foragers and scouts, the commoners in other words, resemble a grey seal with a fairly matt finish and a shade of grey; artisans look lie bearded seals, a pale grey with broad white moustaches of whiskers; warriors, on the other hand, look like harp seals, with black masks around their eyes and wing-like black markings on their backs; a sort of merchant class has a form that resembles a ringed seals, grey pelted with leopard-like white rings on the pelt; finally, a final upper class of mystics and intelligentsia look like hooded seals, with inflatable pouches to make them threatening.

Being Selkie: In order to play a Roane-folk, one must decide to do so at first level. A Selkie may be of any base race, so long as the GM permits it. Most Selkie are likely to be human or dwarfen in origin [the most likely to provoke a curse, perhaps]. The first level of the racial class must be the first level selected by the character. A second, specialised level may be taken as your fourth character level, or any time thereafter.

Racial class:
    {table]Level |
    Character Level
    |
    BAB
    |
    Def
    |
    Fort
    |
    Ref
    |
    Will
    | Special

1 |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    | Breath Control, Pelt, Seal Form

2 |
    4+
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    | Adaption, Bonus Feat
    [/table]

Hit Dice: d8
    D&D Class Skills: Climb [Str], Craft [Int], Escape Artist [Dex], Hide [Dex], Intimidate [Str/Cha], Listen [Wis], Move Silently [Dex], Profession [Wis], Spot [Wis], Survival [Wis], Swim [Str]
    MV Class Skills: Athletics [Str], Craft [Int], Escapistry [Dex], Hide [Dex], Intimidate [Str/Cha], Listen [Wis], Move Silently [Dex], Observation [Wis], Profession [Wis], Survival [Wis]
    Skill points at first level: [4 + Int modifier] x 4
    Skill points per level: 4 + Int modifier

Special Abilities:
    Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: Roane gain proficiency with spears, crossbows, tridents and nets, along with the aquatic versions of the above. They may use their pelt as a shield. Additionally, they gain proficiency with their bite natural attack.

Breath Control [Ex]: Roane are deeply gifted in the techniques of holding their breath. They can hold their breath for an entire minute per point of their constitution score. While in their seal form, they may triple this time frame.

Living Curse: Selkie suffer from a powerful curse that prevents them from moving back onto land for long periods; Selkie are completely unable to gain restful sleep on land. If they sleep, they can keep up operation on land for a total number of days equal to their Constitution modifier [minimum 1 day] before becoming fatigued. This curse has resisted all attempts at dispelling for hundreds of years so it is immune to Remove Curse and similar magics.

Seal Form [Su]: As a Move action, a Roane wearing their Selkie as a cloak may adopt the form of a seal. In this form, she loses her armour's protection but gains a Deflection bonus to her defence equal to her Charisma modifier and gains DR/Natural equal to her hit dice. Seals possess a Swim speed of 40ft and gain the usual +8 bonus to Swim checks. Additionally, they gain a Bite attack, which deals 1d4 damage, +1½ Strength modifier as a primary natural attack. If slain in this form, they revert to human form immediately.

Selkie [Item]: Each Roane that wishes to leave the clan holdings in the seabed must craft a Selkie, a magical seal pelt that gives their culture its common name. Doing so is a right of passage for a young Roane. A pelt can be worn as a cloak or draped over the arm to act as a heavy shield. When worn as a cloak, it allows the Roane to shift into Seal Form [q.v.], while it retains the Seal Form's DR and Deflection bonuses if used as a shield. The pelt possesses 10 hp per Roane level the character possesses, +1 per other level, and regenerates at a rate of 1 hp per round while in salt water.

If a Roane's Selkie is destroyed, it may be replaced via a ritual that takes four hours, but more importantly, requires a freshly killed common seal. Minor magical unguents are also required.

Adaption: More experienced Roane are able to modify the incantations on their Selkie to better suit their caste within their society. Each of the four castes has an adaption, though most Roane do not grow into one of the higher castes. Each option has a secondary requirement that prevents it from being taken before the character's fourth level; once selected, this ability cannot be changed:
    Artisan: (Craft 6 ranks) Not figured this one out yet...

Intellectual: (Knowledge 6 ranks) The intellectual Selkie resembles a hooded seal, creatures with bizarre inflatable hoods on their nose and foreheads and the ability to inflate the inside of their nasal cavity and push it out of their nose. The hood is a powerful communication mechanism amongst those wearing Selkie, allowing near telepathic communication of brief ideas, no more than four words, within visual range. This can be applied to any ability with a range of Vocal, such as Bardic Music or Command Auras. Inflating the hood requires a Move action and cuts the Roane's Swim speed by -5ft. Draining the hood is a Free action.

Secondly, the inflated portions of the Selkie allow muttering and word formation with is normally not possible. Those wearing an intellectual Selkie are able to cast spells as long as the nasal cavity is inflated, which itself takes a Move action. While the nasal cavity is inflated, the Roane's motions are highly inhibited, rendering them Flatfooted. Deflating the nasal cavity is a Swift action.

Merchant: (Diplomacy 6 ranks) The merchant Selkie is designed for speed and transportation, featuring white ring spots, similar to those of a leopard as camouflage for the cargo. A merchant may carry up to their heavy load without slowing their Swim speed and do not suffer penalties to their Swim checks as a result. A passenger may be transported and gain the Roane's Breath Control ability, allowing them to hold their breath for three minutes per point of their Constitution.

Additionally, merchant Roane gain a +10ft bonus to their Swim speed and move at x5 speed when they make a Run action. Finally, they gain a +4 bonus on Hide checks when against a rocky backdrop.

Warrior: (+2 BAB) The warrior Selkie features a pair of "harp" shaped wing patterns on the beast's back and a black mask pattern around the face, rather like the seal were wearing a helmet. In this form, the Roane's bite adopts the abilities of any weapon they were holding before she changed. For example, if they were holding a great axe, the Roane's bite would deal 1d12 + 1.5 x Strength modifier damage with a x3 critical multiplier.

A Warrior Roane may only use two "hands" worth of weapons or shields and if he changes weapons or reloads a range weapon [only those that may be used under water may be used and the projectile emerges from the Roane's mouth], motions twist under the beast's skin as though a human were inside a seal shaped sack.

Bonus Feat: At 2nd level, all Selkie gain a bonus feat of their choice for which they meet the prerequisites.

I'll sort out some examples and spoiler everything in a little while. Anyone with any suggestions as to the benefits of being an Artisan, give me a yell...

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

Awesome! Thank you very much Mulletmanalive. Now I just need to find a good game to use it in.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Apologies if someone else has said this already; I didn't want to try to trawl through four of five pages of stuff. Not that the stuff wouldn't be good, but it would make it harder for me to remember exactly what my questions are.

First, is there any way to get a copy of the MV rules?

And, second given that you've tied the Leanan Sidhe to Spring courts, would that mean that it wouldn't work well to have one of them as Queen of an Autumn or Summer court?
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2011-10-18 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Typo; 'Fie' to 'five'.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground

I have yet another request for you Mulletmanalive, which I'm hoping falls under this threads purview since noone in the Request a Homebrew seemed to want to do this. Not to mention you did a fabulous job with the selkie class even if I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet... Basically I was hoping for something similar to that selkie except with unicorns and from a particular book series the Apprentice Adept. Information and thoughts are as follows.

DnD 3.5
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unicorns in the Apprentice Adept series are somewhat different from those traditionally described in fantasy. First, Phaze's unicorns are as intelligent as humans. Also, they are not colored in blacks and greys like horses but rather in more dramatic colors. For instance, one unicorn character, Clip, is a blue stallion with red "socks," that is, ankles. In addition to their coloring, unicorns with socks can actually remove them. If humans don them, the socks cast the illusion that the human is in fact a unicorn of the sock color. Furthermore, unicorns in Phaze are shapeshifters; most can learn two other forms. If a unicorn learns to shift into a hawk, he can fly in that form; if a human, he can speak. Finally, unicorns in the series have hollow horns which they use as musical instruments. Each unicorn character described in the books has a distinct instrument. For instance, Clip's horn sounds like a saxophone, while his sister Neysa's horn makes harmonica sounds.

They also are resistant towards magic, generally only the most powerful magic users can actually affect them though if the caster is enclosed in a ring of unicorns it becomes extremely difficult (potentially requiring epic level) to cast. Also in human form they have a 'button horn' on their forehead where if it is covered they can't transform.

As to the musical ability I'm thinking along the lines of their horn counts as a masterwork instrument and they also get an inherent perform (wind) skill bonus that extends to their other forms. They also have they're own horn language that might translate to Sylvan well enough and one could argue in DnD terms that they could cast in this form. In regards to being shapeshifters the book seems to describe it as occurring instantaneously and from my recollection the two forms they can turn into almost always seems to be humanoid (2nd) and a flight capable creature (3rd). I would hope that the races combat skills would beable to scale through the levels so that it's viable to fight in unicorn form much less survivable in all forms. As to magical ability the horns do seem to have a sort of curing ability but thus far its been demonstrated rarely (once?) and only with diseases.

The Improved Monster Classes's Unicorn might be a good reference.

edit: Sock clarification.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by userpay View Post
    The shapechanger abilities aren't transfered with the socks, the socks only project an illusion that other wearers appear as a unicorn of similar color. As to whether or not the unicorn can still transform while not wearing the socks I'm not sure, they didn't try/say though as far as I know the only limitation is the horn being covered. I should note that its the hind leg socks that can be taken off and again it doesn't say but I think only the unicorn can allow the socks to be taken off of him/herself (ie unicorn's will that makes the 'socks' socks).

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

C'Nor PM me and I'll see what I can do. Book is a bit of a mess atm but you're welcome to what I have with the standard "no theft" clause and a promise to supply feedback if you play it.

For the Leannan, it's actually the Spring Court that's linked to them; the fae's entry has no reference to the Spring Court. The court simply has a lot of Leannan because of the trend towards beauty and the usefulness of the court ability to the fae. Leannan are ideal Queens in general. D&D version still doesn't work properly on the Queen class yet, though...

Userpay Erm... I'll see what I can do but I'm not going to post it in here as it's not folkloric. I'll PM you when i've got an intial draft ready but I'm very busy this week.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds good. Unfortunately, I probably won't play it, because that would require having a group and the no theft clause would prevent a PbP , but if I do, I'll be sure to send you my observations.

As far as the Leannan, that was what I'd meant, yes. I'll let you know if the idea for a court goes anywhere.

There are more questions, but I'll hold off and see if they're answered by the MV rules.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

Kinda figured that since my request is a departure from typical unicorn lore and focusing on a particular book. Thanks for considering to do it anyway.

Hmm... I'm curious though. Have you ever come across any folklore that has to do with a being shaped in an imitation of another creature except made of wood and leaves? I guess the best way to describe it might be an animated hedge thats in the shape of another creature or some sort of forest elemental/spirit. I recently picked up a shirt from the Renaissance Faire I work at that has a dragon on the front made of wood and leaves which struck me as potentially being good material for a future character.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Great work Mulletmanalive,

I would very much like to use this in a future campaign, one thing I've been thinking about though is The Changeling. While the changeling Zetai Kai made is great, I would like to see your take on it :)

Some different sources of lore: 1, 2 and 3. And while that is some of the lore, I'm also thinking of putting some focus on the one kidnapped(Yea screams of Changeling: The Lost, but hey, I like that game too).

Also, not to limit you though, but some source of inspiration could be the Dvati from Dragon Compendium vol. 1 pg. 14, to resume, one soul, two bodies :)

Cheers
    Klode

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

While I'm sure it's not what you're hoping for, given the comments you've made, really the only thing I can do with Changelings [we actually discussed this a couple of pages back] is the following:

Feat:
    Changeling [General]
    You are innately gifted in pretending to be specific individuals of other races, usually children.
    Prerequisites: Fae subtype, Disguise 4 ranks
    Description: If you are able to ingest at least one ounce of the target [usually achieved with blood and hair from infants], you gain the ability to mimic them perfectly. You change form to resemble them, adopting their size category and gaining a +10 bonus on Disguise checks to pretend to to be them and may take 10 on all Disguise checks when pretending to be that individual, regardless of whether you are threatened, distracted or asleep. This effect is permanent supernatural ability, can be suppressed as a Swift action, restored as a Full action and is dispelled as if it had a caster level equal to your HD. If you choose another shape to take, you lose your last one.
    Weakness: Exposure to black iron disrupts your ability to pretend to be the victim. Similarly, any effect that can disrupt a glammer effect works on this ability.
    Special: There's no real reason why you can't take this feat multiple times. All inactive appearances are suppressed while one is in use and you may choose which appearance to replace if you consume new bodily material.

Another ability that this kind of links to is the ability to create Stocks. So here we go:

Create Stock [Item Creation]
    You have learned the faecraft necessary to create "stocks," a kind of construct that pretends to be a snatched infant before breaking down and rotting over time. You probably find this amusing.
    Prerequisites: Craft [Carpentry] 5 ranks
    Desciption: By spending a day on it and including a lock of the target's hair, you can create a stock of them. A stock is basically a mannequin shaped animated object with 1 HD, that looks like the target. The stock possesses the Changeling feat as a bonus feat and resembles the person being faked. The stock possesses an Intelligence score equal to your Intelligence Modifier, allowing it a certain level of autonomy, though they are generally ordered to simply avoid attracting attention to themselves.
    Weakness: A stock loses 1 hp per month due to rot and looks less and less human as a result. Because it relies on the Chanegling feat, a stock does all it can to avoid touching black/cold iron.

Craft Fetch [Item Creation]
    You can create more aggressive stocks that can maintain themselves by feeding on their mother and can perform tasks with greater efficiency.
    Prerequisites: Craft Stock, Craft [Carpentry] 7 ranks
    Description: By spending a month, from full moon to full moon, working on it, you may create a more complex and powerful stock called a Fetch. A fetch is still an Animated Object with a humanoid shape and the Changeling feat, but it possess HD equal to half your own and an Intelligence equal to half of your Intelligence score. You can communicate telepathically with a fetch you have constructed as a Full action. Like a stock, a fetch loses hp over time due to rot, but can regain them by permenantly stealing hit points from humans it grapples [or simply hugs]. Doing so is a Full action. Hit points stolen in this way can only be returned by Lesser Restoration or higher, not by Cure spells.
    Weakness: A fetch is almost fully alive and as such functions much like a fae. It has DR 5/Natural in place of its Hardness and has all the problems associated with the Changeling feat.

As i've said before, while a cool name, there's not much to go on with them in lore. The actual snatched child, no lore exists for and there's no connection in the lore between the victim and the changeling, so I can't really do anything with that either.

Hope those were at least interesting...

24. - Top - End - #324
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Thumbs up Re: Fae-o-matic. You find the folklore, I make the beasty!

Thank you kindly, sir, that will most certainly suffice :D!
    And I feel a bit rude for asking that, since you apparantly already have a lot of rice bags juggling in the air, according to the 1. post of the thread :)

But those feats are very much appreciated, and will work like a charm ;)!

Cheers
    Klode

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

No problem at all. I'd kinda stalled on this [after a while on fairies, i've ended up working on other things for the setting for a while] so this was a nice kick start...

26. - Top - End - #326
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive
    Boabhan Sith [Baavan Shee]:
    The imaginatively named "Fairy woman" [literally "woman of the mounds"], is a succubus like being that loves to dance. Usually found in small groups, like any woman at a dance, these creatures join in dancing sessions and when they have ensnared their prey in their whirling dance, begin to feed on his blood. Even when the prey is dead, it continues dancing as long as the Sith does. The geas of their race is that they cannot approach a player while he is playing, making the most common accounts of these blood-thirsty beings those of individuals who were playing an instrument and managed to keep it up until dawn…
    Boabhan Sith look like a beautiful human female, with hair as black as night and eyes like sapphires. They are always found barefoot and in gossamer thin dresses, relying on their damage reduction to protect them from the cold.

D&D Version:
    When I figure out how the hell to do their magical dance without Shift actions...
    Well, concerning that, a way for them to "shift" in D&D 3.5 is:
    Tumble, more specifically a tumble check of DC 15, to move half their speed without provoking attacks of opportunity, actually a rather good conversion if you ask me. Maybe even allow them to replace the Tumble check with a Perform(Dance) check let's say 5-10 higher than the original DC :)?

But in general, some things I've taken notice of is that, many of the descriptions from the two versions intermingle with each other, it get's rather confusing at some points, for instance:
    Bean Sidhe[Banshee]
    Lineal Knowledge [Su]: It is practically impossible to keep a secret from your family in its entirety, unless you don't actually have one, and the Bean Sidhe have such a flexible understanding of the word family. They know everything that is known to those who have claim to be responsible for you by bonds of friendship and love, simply by looking at you. The actual mechanism of this is that the Bean Sidhe must make eye contact, though few know this and thus, she can determine the entire story of a man's life [except his deepest secrets] by making eye contact, Observation vs Psyche, with someone who knows him. Because of the way this works, she need only meet the eyes of one member of most groups to know all of them.
    Care to elaborate on how that works in D&D :)?
    Figuring something alike Sense motive vs. Bluff maybe?

Best regards,
    Klode
    Last edited by Klode; 2011-11-09 at 05:46 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Klode View Post
    Well, concerning that, a way for them to "shift" in D&D 3.5 is:
    Tumble, more specifically a tumble check of DC 15, to move half their speed without provoking attacks of opportunity, actually a rather good conversion if you ask me. Maybe even allow them to replace the Tumble check with a Perform(Dance) check let's say 5-10 higher than the original DC :)?
    That could certainly work quite well. I'll have a look at it after work tomorrow. I don't see any reason to increase the DC. Using one skill for another is something i tend to allow.

But in general, some things I've taken notice of is that, many of the descriptions from the two versions intermingle with each other, it get's rather confusing at some points, for instance:
    In MV, there are 4 ways of resolving basically everything:
    • Skill vs Situation [Psyche for people, set DCs for environments]
    • Attack Roll vs Defence
    • Grapple vs Tussle [basically CMB vs CMD from pathfinder but less fair]
    • Save vs DC

They tend to linger in artifact form because I'm converting from MV, which i can usually judge power levels better in and have handy dandy monster making kits to work with.

The D&D versions are entirely for other people's benefit and i rely on people pointing out the bits that don't make sense so i can fix them.

Care to elaborate on how that works in D&D :)?
    Figuring something alike Sense motive vs. Bluff maybe?

Best regards,
    Klode
    Wanders off to make that into a Gaze attack because it fits...

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Wendigo, Mortal:
    The most commonly encountered creature deserving of the title of Wendigo is the so called "mortal" variation. This is a fairy infection that overtakes a human that has been attacked in its dreams by a True Wendigo and then partakes of human flesh as a result of desperate hunger. A vicious pathogen overtakes the victim's system, transforming them into a mortal wendigo, a blunt faced, feral being that moves with impossible speed, bears unbelievable strength and is damn near invisible. Were it not for their insane flammability, these creatures would be unstoppable.

D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Medium Monstrous Humanoid [Fae, Augmented Human]
    Hit Dice: 7d8+14 (45 hp)
    Initiative: +6
    Speed: 60ft (12 squares), Climb 40ft
    Armor Class: 22 (+6 Dex, +6 Natural), touch 16, flat-footed 16
    Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+10
    Attack: +13 Claw (1d6+3, 18/x2 plus Grab)
    Full Attack: +13/+13 Claws (1d6+3, 18/x2 plus Grab) and +8 Bite (1d8+1)
    Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
    Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Skirmish +2d6/+1
    Special Qualities: Blur, Darkvision 60ft, DR 7/Natural, Quickness, Static Invisibility, Tweening, Without Trace
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +11, Will +7
    Abilities Str 16/+3, Dex 22/+6, Con 15/+2, Int 8/-1, Wis 15/+2, Cha 15/+2
    Skills: Climb +11, Spot +12
    Feats: Alacritous Dodge, Mobilty, Spring Attack, Weapon FocusB
    Environment: Icy Forests
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 5
    Treasure: 1/2 Standard
    Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
    Advancement: By class level (Favoured Class: Ranger)
    Level Adjustment: -

Combat

Blur [Su]: While in motion, the Wendigo's outline breaks up and they are incredibly difficult to see properly. While moving, they count as having concealment.

Dissolve: If slain, a Wendigo reverts to its original form, that of a starved human body.

Quickness [Ex]: A Natural Wendigo is almost improbably fast; it benefits from an additional Move action each round in addition to their other actions. This is usually spent on engaging in hit and run tactics.

Static Invisibility [Su]: If it freezes in place, the Wendigo becomes literally invisible. In this manner, it cannot be detected by normal vision [though thermovision and ultravision can still pick them up], gaining a +40 bonus on Hide checks. It can move a maximum of 5ft before breaking this effect.

Tweening [Ex]:
    A Wendigo is able to Tween through Physical Boundaries and the Space Beneath at all times, along with Shadows at the times of Dusk and Dawn.

Without Trace [Su]: Wendigos leave not tracks unless they wish to be tracked and can move through difficult terrain as if it were open terrain and through very difficult terrain as if it were difficult terrain.

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Medium Fæ Beast 7 CP 8
    Init: + 13 , Senses: Listen + 14 , Spot + 14 Improved Low Light Vision, Scent
    Languages: Algonquian
    Defence: 19 Flatfooted: 10, +10 with 40ft movement, +2 with 10ft movement
    Hardness: DR 7/Natural + DR 10/Fire = 17
    HD: 7d10 + 28 + 18 Hp: 85
    Massive Damage: 18
    Thresholds: Green, [ 42 ] Yellow, [ 21 ] Orange, [ 8 ] Red
    Resist: Blur, Evasion, Static Invisibility
    Fort: + 9 Reflex: + 13 Will: + 6 Psyche: 20 Tussle: 25
    Speed: 60ft, Climb 40ft Space: 5 ft Reach: 5 ft

Melee: +15/+15 Claws (1d6+4, 18/x2 plus Grab) and +10 Bite (1d8+4)

BAB: + 7 Grapple: +15
    Special Actions:
    • Improved Grab [Attack roll beats Tussle; target becomes grappled, attack deals no damage and Wendigo may react to the beginning of a grapple as normal [usually carrying the victim off by moving]]
    • Shift [Swift; Wendigo shifts 15ft]
    • Skirmish [Triggered, move 10ft; the Wendigo's melee attacks deal +2d6 damage and it gains a +2 bonus to defence]
    • Spring Attack [Free; Shift after Standard action attack as part of same action]

Abilities: Str: 18/+4 Dex: 26/+8 Con: 18/+4 Int: 8/-1 Wis: 16/+3 Cha: 6/-2
    SQ: Without Trace

Feats: Alacritous Dodge, Brachiation, Improved Grapple, Mobility, Spring Attack, TrackB, Weapon Finesse

Skills: Climb +19, Hide +8, Jump +31, Move Silently +23, Observation +18, Survival +18

Special Abilities:

Blur [Su]: While in motion, the Wendigo's outline breaks up and they are incredibly difficult to see properly. While moving, they count as having concealment.

Dissolve: If slain, a Wendigo reverts to its original form, that of a starved human body.

Quickness [Ex]: A Natural Wendigo is almost improbably fast; it benefits from an additional Move action each round in addition to their other actions. This is usually spent on engaging in hit and run tactics.

Static Invisibility [Su]: If it freezes in place, the Wendigo becomes literally invisible. In this manner, it cannot be detected by normal vision [though thermovision and ultravision can still pick them up], gaining a +40 bonus on Hide checks. It can move a maximum of 5ft before breaking this effect.

Tweening [Ex]:
    A Wendigo is able to Tween through Physical Boundaries and the Space Beneath at all times, along with Shadows at the times of Dusk and Dawn.

Without Trace [Su]: Wendigos leave not tracks unless they wish to be tracked and can move through difficult terrain as if it were open terrain and through very difficult terrain as if it were difficult terrain.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Lore:
    {table]DC|Information

7|If you eat human flesh, you become a wendigo. Simple as that

12|Wendigo are just men, driven mad by hunger and loneliness. They hunt others with crude tools; they are only as dangerous as their skills as men allow

17|A wendigo, or a mortal wendigo to be specific, is a hunter or miner who mutated into a beast after eating human flesh

22|Wendigo are fast and have impressive chameleonic abilities. They rely on deadly hit and run tactics, carrying their foes off into the trees

27|The mutations that cause wedigoism are a result of possession by a True Wedigo, a spirit that haunts the dead of winter. Only if human flesh is available does a wendigo form, other cases becoming Chenoo. Wendigo are Vulnerable to Fire

32|Mortal Wendigo retain the prohibitions of thier True brethren even after the latter has long departed. As a result, they can be held a bay by anything that would stop a spirit, including lines or salt, devil's snares or Protection from Evil [/table]

Any material presented inside Spoilers listed as "MV Versions", along with all pictures above, are Copyright under the Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial License. All other text and game materials are free to use under the terms of the OGL and are designated Open Content.

First in a long while, but hopefully i can get a bit of a stride going again [even if this was pending posting for ages...]
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-12-26 at 11:11 AM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Nain Rouge:
    Named in place of a friendly gnome-like creature of French myth, the Red Dwarf of Detroit county is something else entirely. Standing a little over four feet in height, the Nain's appearance seems to vary between resembling an American Indian and a drink flushed white man. In either case, his skin is a mess of pock marks and his teeth a mess of foul rot. His garb varies, but usually looks like it was taken from a homeless wandered by force, tattered and dirty with worn out shoes.

D&D Version:
    Spoiler
    Show

Small Humanoid [Fae]
    Hit Dice: 5d8 (22 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 50ft (10 squares)
    Armor Class: 11 (+1 Dex), touch 11, flat-footed 10 See Slippery Customer
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/-1
    Attack: Unarmed -1 melee (1d3 Subdual)
    Full Attack: Unarmed -1 melee (1d3 Subdual)
    Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
    Special Attacks: Cursed Gaze
    Special Qualities: Aura of Chaos,
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +3
    Abilities: Str: 10/- Dex: 14/+2 Con: 10/- Int: 10/- Wis: 14/+2 Cha: 14/+2
    Skills: Hide +16, Move Silently +11
    Feats: Ability Focus (Aura of Chaos), Stealthy
    Environment: Detroit
    Organization: Solitary [Seemingly Unique]
    Challenge Rating: 5*
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Always Chaotic, Usually Evil
    Advancement: by class level

Combat

Aura of Chaos 480ft [Su]: The Nain produces a constant aura that encourages disaster to occur around him and hampers those trying to prevent it. The aura manifests as a -4 Luck penalty on all checks intended to limit the surrounding bedlam, which will probably apply to a lot of what the players do, and a +2 Luck bonus on all checks that will obviously make the situation worse. If an action would make the situation worse but cause it to burn out faster, the bonus still applies.

Do not reveal these penalties and bonuses to the players, simply adjust the DCs behind the screen. Canny players may well discover the modifications through meta-play means, such as taking 10 on something modified to exactly succeed, and that should be encouraged as long as it fits the narrative [there are precedents for things like dropping toast to determine bad luck. Why not here?].

Once the players realise the penalty exists, they may attempt a DC 17 Will save as a Standard action to suppress the effects of the aura on them for 1d6 rounds. The save is Cha based.

Cursed Gaze [Sp]: Gaze, range 30ft, as Bestow Curse [DC 15] but with a duration of 1 minute per level [usually 5 minutes] and always uses the 50% chance of no actions option.

Dissolve: If slain, the Nain Rouge breaks up into a collection of white pine branches and the regalia of whatever culture the city it terrorises considers its enemy at the time [for the earliest settlers, it would have been American Indians, while this would chance to various internal groups in later years].

Slippery Customer [Ex]: The Nain is incredibly difficult to pin down in combat; it doubles the benefit of any cover it may have, adds 10% to the miss chance provided by any concealment it may have and never provokes attacks of opportunity with its movement.

Spell-like Abilities [Sp]: At Will - Fog Cloud, Longstrider (Already Cast), Minor Confusion
    3/Day - Rage

Tweening: As a fæ, the Nain Rouge possesses the ability to tween through liminals; most of the time it can shift through Physical Boundaries and The Space Beneath, adding the option of shifting through Shadows at dusk and dawn.

MV Version:
    Spoiler
    Show

Small Humanoid 5 CP 3*
    Init: + 1 , Senses: Listen + 12 , Observation +12
    Languages: English, French, Pontiac Indian
    Defence: 16 Flatfooted: 11 Shift/Defence action +5
    Hardness: 5/Natural
    HD: 5d8+10 Hp: 32
    Massive Damage: 10
    Thresholds: Green, [ 16 ] Yellow, [ 8 ] Orange, [ 3 ] Red
    Resist:
    Fort: + 4 Reflex: + 1 Will: + 4 Psyche: 21 Tussle: 10
    Speed: 50ft * Space: 5 ft Reach: 5 ft

Melee: -1 Unarmed (1d3 Subdual)

BAB: + 3 Grapple: -1
    Special Actions:
    • Aura of Chaos [Aura 480ft; -4 penalty on all checks that would reduce the surrounding chaos, +2 on all checks that would reduce the chaos in the area; Shake It Off (Will 21) to cancel for 1 minute]
    • Cursed Glance [Gaze 30ft; DC 14 Nauseated (Shake It Off)]
    • Shift [Swift; move 10ft, no AoOs, +5 to defence via Defence action]

Abilities: Str: 10/- Dex: 14/+2 Con: 10/- Int: 10/- Wis: 14/+2 Cha: 14/+2
    SQ: Dispel Vulnerability, Dissolve, Tweening

Feats: Agile Dodge, Dodge, Mobility

Skills: Athletics +10, Awareness +12, Hide +13, Jump +18, Observation +12, Stealth +9

Special Abilities:
    Aura of Chaos 480ft [Su]: The Nain produces a constant aura that encourages disaster to occur around him and hampers those trying to prevent it. The aura manifests as a -4 Luck penalty on all checks intended to limit the surrounding bedlam, which will probably apply to a lot of what the players do, and a +2 Luck bonus on all checks that will obviously make the situation worse. If an action would make the situation worse but cause it to burn out faster, the bonus still applies.

Do not reveal these penalties and bonuses to the players, simply adjust the DCs behind the screen. Canny players may well discover the modifications through meta-play means, such as taking 10 on something modified to exactly succeed, and that should be encouraged as long as it fits the narrative [there are precedents for things like dropping toast to determine bad luck. Why not here?]. Once the players realise the penalty exists, they may attempt to concentrate through the luck manipulation by making a Shake If Off check.

Cursed Gaze [Su]: Any poor devil that makes eye contact with the Nain Rouge is cursed with debilitating hesitation. This takes the form of the Nauseated condition, robbing them of their Move action for the round. This is normally activated if the character makes a successful Awareness or Observation check to see the Nain's eyes, in this case, succeeding at a DC 14 check [the Base DC 4 check [small creature making no attempt to hide] by 10 or more].

Foes aware of the gaze ability can attempt to avert their eyes, gaining a DC 14 Reflex save on top of the chance of failing the perception checks.

Dispel Vulnerability: The Nain Rouge enhances his speed using magic. If he is targeted with an effect that dispels enhancements from a target, his movement speed drops to 40ft.

Dissolve: If slain, the Nain Rouge breaks up into a collection of white pine branches and the regalia of whatever culture the city it terrorises considers its enemy at the time [for the earliest settlers, it would have been American Indians, while this would chance to various internal groups in later years].

Tweening: As a fæ, the Nain Rouge possesses the ability to tween through liminals; most of the time it can shift through Physical Boundaries and The Space Beneath, adding the option of shifting through Shadows at dusk and dawn.

Challenge Notes: While himself not particularly dangerous, the Nain makes every challenge in his presence more difficult by some margin. The Nain's own CP are relatively low as he is specifically built to avoid harm and flee efficiently, the CP of every other threat in his area by +2.

Lore
    {table]DC|Information
    5|The Nain is an Injun spirit that prey on the godfearing people of Detroid county.
    10|The Nain Rouge is actually a specially trained American Indian orphan who is used by the local church to raise hackles about the local Indian population.
    15|The Nain's origins are unclear; all who spot it report it to resemble a racial group they find threatening, barring the red fur coat and the rotten teeth.
    20|The Nain has been present during or in the build up to virtually every disaster to befall Detroit. His influence seems to make these situations worse, as thigns that would cause minor problems in another city errupt into riots and confusion.
    25|The Nain's aura can be circumvented by concentration, though in a pinch, inverting your coat can shield you from its malign radiation for 1d4 minutes, though this will only work once per set of clothes.
    30|The Nain, possibly hinting at some French connection, is angered by the colour blue, making it fond of the local cavalry as targets, and is unable to approach areas warded with the smoke of burning dried oranges. Its powers don't work in such areas either.[/table]

Any material presented inside Spoilers listed as "MV Versions", along with all pictures above, are Copyright under the Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial License. All other text and game materials are free to use under the terms of the OGL and are designated Open Content.
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2012-03-05 at 07:26 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Please make a version of a Hobgoblin. As in, the nice helpers.