New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved Monster Classes- Still Alive, and taking requests!

Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    Maybe a feature of the gargoyle could be adaptations? Y'know, going one way turns you into an aquatic gargoyle, or makes you bigger and stronger, gives you four arms, a connection to Fiends, that kind of stuff.
    That would be a great paragon class. I don't want to stray too far from the MM flavour, so I'm disinclined to put it into the base monster class unless there's no other way to make it less vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicyop View Post
    • Agree with Tacitus, Stone Facade is much too complicated. Make it just a straight bonus on Disguise checks to appear like a normal statue, that's it. Simple, easy to use, straight to the point.
    • You need to add something that says after a creature has been attacked, it is no longer subject to Pay No Mind. Otherwise a Gargoyle could just swoop down, make an attack, freeze and pretend to be a statue, and then attack again when they turn their backs. You know, Doctor Who style. Kinda cool, but it doesn't make sense.
    • Mm, I don't know, it's just... it seems rather vanilla to me. Don't get me wrong, it's cool, but it seems like all it can do is hide and pounce with a couple natural weapons. I'd expand its versatility, personally. Give it more options and keep it so it can be competitive when it reaches higher hit dice.
    1) Do you mean Stone Facade is too complicated overall, or just the Bluff component of it? I will change it from Bluff to Disguise. I'm busy right now, but should have it fixed tomorrow.
    2) Seems I didn't pay enough attention to that "once it sees you move" condition. I'll patch that too. However, that "I turn into a statue again and you overlook me, nyah nyah" tactic sounds perfect for a gargoyle paragon class.
    3) Versatility was a goal of Stone Facade, but I had trouble thinking of other biology-related skill uses. If I do put in more skill usages, should I also stagger them throughout the class, i.e. you pick one or two enhanced skills per level?

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
    Someday I'll have my anxiety under control, but until then, I'm prone to sudden month-long disappearances.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    1) Do you mean Stone Facade is too complicated overall, or just the Bluff component of it? I will change it from Bluff to Disguise. I'm busy right now, but should have it fixed tomorrow.
    2) Seems I didn't pay enough attention to that "once it sees you move" condition. I'll patch that too. However, that "I turn into a statue again and you overlook me, nyah nyah" tactic sounds perfect for a gargoyle paragon class.
    3) Versatility was a goal of Stone Facade, but I had trouble thinking of other biology-related skill uses. If I do put in more skill usages, should I also stagger them throughout the class, i.e. you pick one or two enhanced skills per level?

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
    1) Too complex overall. It doesn't need a bunch of skill bonuses, however related they may be.
    2) Yeah, it might be fun as a 'lord' class.
    3) No, no, that's not the point. Enhanced skills is still vanilla. Vanilla is... bonuses. If you're just giving them bonuses to various stuff. I don't want bonuses, I want fun abilities. Is "You get +3 to something! Great!" Cool? No. It may be necessary, but it's not super-fun. Try giving it a couple unique, fun things to do, instead of just giving it bonuses to stuff.

That's not to say it looks bad, on the contrary, I like it, I just think it could stand to have at least one unique and interesting ability.

Oh, and like I suggested to Rumel, I think you should put in a Changelog. I didn't put it in for Dream Larva and I've now lost track of what it originally looked like, but say Gorgon comes, and he doesn't like some of the changes suggested to you, if you've already made them and have no changelog, you have no way to change it back.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

Many thanks to Qwernt for my amazing mind flayer avatar!

3. - Top - End - #783

Does anyone know what happened to Gorgondantess? He hasnt posted in a couple of days.
    awesome avatar made by Trazoi
    Totem Cleric:A divine fighter that uses a totem which empowers him.

I will not have as much acces to a computer so I will not post as much.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monkman View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to Gorgondantess? He hasnt posted in a couple of days.
    When in doubt, assume something good.

Gorgondantess decided to take a break so he would be fresh when he came back to the thread.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post

Gorgondantess decided to take a break so he would be fresh when he came back to the thread.
    Or he is recovering from saving some kindergartners from a burning church while finding a cure for cancer? But only after he helped old ladies cross the street.
    Last edited by Rumel; 2010-10-28 at 10:11 PM.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rumel View Post
    Or he is recovering from saving some kindergartners from a burning church while finding a cure for cancer? But only after he helped old ladies cross the street.
    I said good, not a miracle.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

New guy here, though I've been lurking a while. I've seen other beasties from the Epic Level Handbook get made, and some of them my favorites, but there's a few that weren't requested, so I figured "why not."

Hagunemnon (if possible)

Mu Spore (if possible)

Uvuudaum

Worm that Walks

I look forward to the Atropal and Phaethon classes, too (if I remember right, someone was working on them).

8. - Top - End - #788

Quote Originally Posted by monkman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post

Agreed. Plus, every time he looks at this thread, he probably goes, "Three more new monsters posted, eighteen new requests, six people waiting for critique... madness!" A couple of days doesn't mean anything is wrong, on the contrary, it probably does mean he is taking a break. If we get to a couple weeks, then we'll talk again.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Orc in the Playground

Anybody have a full meleè class I can do... Like 10 levels or so?

10. - Top - End - #790

Anybody have a full meleè class I can do... Like 10 levels or so?
    Don't worry about your next class at this point. You're still working on the Werescorpion, right? Gorgon hasn't even given you a preliminary critique yet, so sit back and relax until he does. The modus operandi of this thread is to take time to get something right, rather than creating a blitz of somewhat-okay classes.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

11. - Top - End - #791
    Bugbear in the Playground

I was floundering about the webz when I found this link:
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...ools/20030401c

So, i'm gonna have a go with a small class (I'd wait until Gorgon says OK on the Black Dragon, but I dunno when he's coming back, and I have no-where to save the class.)

Spoiler
    Show
    Cheshire Cat
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hit Die: d6

Class Skills
    A Cheshire Cat's class skills are Balance, Climb, Diplomacy, Handle Humanoid (Scroll down a tiny bit), Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot

Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) x 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
    1|+0|+0|+0|+2|Fey Body, Rictus Grin
    2|+1|+0|+0|+3|Controlled Invisibility, Don't Mind Me
    3|+1|+1|+1|+3|Spells of Madness, Whispy Voice[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Cheshire Cat is only proficient with it's natural attacks.

Fey Body: A Cheshire Cat loses all other racial bonus and gains fey traits(basically darkvision and low light vision). It is a small sized fey with a base speed of 30ft, and a climb speed of 30ft, and two claw attacks that deal 1d4 damage each. At 3rd level, it's claws may count as Chaotic aligned for the sake of bypassing DR.

Rictus Grin: One of the most famous abilities of a Cheshire Cat is to smile so wide it is downright creepy. A Cheshire Cat may cast Lesser Confusion as an SLA a number of times per day equal to his HD. At 3rd level, this becomes Confusion instead. At 15HD level, it becomes Insanity, and he gains the ability to cast Confusion at will, as an SLA.

Controlled Invisibility(Su): A Cheshire cat can become wholly or partially invisible at will. Whenever it uses this ability, it can choose the precise portions of its body that become invisible. If it chooses to leave any portion of its body visible, it gains partial concealment (20% miss chance); otherwise it has total concealment (50% miss chance). Activating this ability or changing the degree of concealment it grants is a standard action. A Cheshire cat often chooses to leave only its smile, which is unusually wide and rather unfeline, visible. At 5HD, you may become utterly unseen (As per the Invisibility spell) instead of shades of invisibility.

Don't Mind Me: You don't provoke attacks of opportunity when moving out of threatened squares.

Spells of Madness: You gain the spells from the Madness Domain as a 3times per day SLA when you are [The spell's level*2]. Also if the Cheshire Cat multiclasses as a sorceror, he can can count his Cheshire Cat levels as levels of that class for purposes of CL and for the purposes of learning new spells and getting new spell slots. However, he does not retroactively gain spell slots or new spells for caster levels he did not take, nor does he add his Cheshire Cat level to her character level for the purpose of other class features.

Whispy Voice: You gain Ventriloquisim and Ghost Sound as at will SLA's.
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2010-10-29 at 06:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Titan in the Playground

It doesn't have any natural attacks so it has nothing to do when it runs out of SLAs. Is that intentional?

13. - Top - End - #793

Pretty much. It's supposed to mess with people's heads for a joke, then scarper while laughing it's head off. I'll give it two claw attacks, though.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post
    Pretty much. It's supposed to mess with people's heads for a joke, then scarper while laughing it's head off. I'll give it two claw attacks, though.
    I love it, I'll take twenty... But he seems underpowered... How about he canids the smile ability 1/day/HD and when it becomes insanity he can use confusion at will?

15. - Top - End - #795

Guess so. It shall be done!

16. - Top - End - #796
    Orc in the Playground

Also, I think that the ghost sound and vantriliquism spells should be worked in at will or 1/day/HD.

17. - Top - End - #797

Spells of Madness: A Cheshire Cat casts a Sorceror of it's HD-2. It may also add all spells from the Madness domain to it's spells known when it becomes able to cast the spells
    Say I am lv 3/17 Cheshire Cat/cleric, Wouldnt I be a level 18 sorcerer? Kinda overpowered in the way you wrote it.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #798

Whoa, wait, I'm relatively certain you can't do that, Gecko King... the whole idea is that if Black Dragon isn't finished and requires changes, you'll basically be working on two monsters at once, and that would get super crazy. Again, my Dream Larva is basically finished and at the point where Gorgon said "Yeah, looks good, let me just look at it once more before posting" yet I've been holding off on posting the Saint. I have a file of saved Monster Classes that I've been fiddling with in between working on the Dream Larva.

I'm not trying to be insulting in any way, or anything like that, but it's pretty clearly against the rules of this thread to post two monsters at the same time, and you're still working on the Black Dragon, so... I think you should either take it down or shelve it until Gorgon approves your Black Dragon. It doesn't seem fair to the rest of us if you get to break this rule.

But, quick comments on the actual class, despite that:

1) Wow, spells of madness is really powerful. It's a three level class that makes you a sorcerer for free. So, I could take three levels in this, and then go into, say, Swordsage. I could now be a level 20 character who has 17 Swordsage levels, and 18 sorcerer levels, with no gestalt! That's insane!

2) Otto's Irresistible Dance is an 8th level spell. You cannot give it to them at level 3. That's... so overpowered.

EDIT: Yeah, Monkman hit on the same issue as me.
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-10-29 at 05:57 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

19. - Top - End - #799

1. My hard drive is all wacked up. I literally have no-where else to put it.
    2. I meant to do that stacky thing where the monster levels count as spellcasting levels
    3. I REALLY should fix that dancing stuff. Dammed Insomnia......
    EDIT: Consider the thing shelved. Sorry, but the only other option would be to write it down on scraps of paper.
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2010-10-29 at 06:20 PM.

20. - Top - End - #800

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post
    1. My hard drive is all wacked up. I literally have no-where else to put it.
    2. I meant to do that stacky thing where the monster levels count as spellcasting levels
    3. I REALLY should fix that dancing stuff. Dammed Insomnia......
    1. Okay, then I suggest putting the entire class, title and everything, in a spoiler for now, so the casual observer doesn't see and critique and turn it into a second project. Then, once your Black Dragon is approved, you can just unspoiler it and quote or provide a link.
    2. Replace HD with Class Level then, and say that it stacks with other sorcerer levels. Or, better, copy it from one of the monster classes already in the the list-- I mean literally, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V.
    3. Yeah.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

21. - Top - End - #801
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magicyop View Post
    1. Okay, then I suggest putting the entire class, title and everything, in a spoiler for now, so the casual observer doesn't see and critique and turn it into a second project. Then, once your Black Dragon is approved, you can just unspoiler it and quote or provide a link.
    2. Replace HD with Class Level then, and say that it stacks with other sorcerer levels. Or, better, copy it from one of the monster classes already in the the list-- I mean literally, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V.
    3. Yeah.
    Oh... And may I suggest limiting the spells to Illusion only

22. - Top - End - #802

Oh... And may I suggest limiting the spells to Illusion only
    maybe enchatement too,Also i want to reserve the maug as my next creature.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry for the lack of posting... though I assure you, it's for a very good reason, and while I don't usually enjoy giving this information out, I figure I owe you an explanation.
    You see, while by day I am a simple college student, by night I don a cat suit and fight crime as the Crimson Tiger. I was recently invading the lair of my arch-nemesis, the Timberwolf, but I was discovered, beaten, assumed for dead and buried. I spent the last several days clawing out of my grave and eating earthworms for sustenance.
    I'll have my revenge on the Timberwolf, but in the meantime, I suppose I should tackle this massive backlog of stuff!

Bleakborn:
    Check out the marraenoloth and try to balance it against that. I think the latter creature is a good bit more powerful.

Gith: Githzerai are much, much weaker than the 'Yanki PLA-wise. Do something about it.

Gorgon, I'm curious, I read something about playing two different 'base monster classes' in one character, in a gestalt setting or the like, and I was wondering if you knew anything about how that usually works. While not common, it seems like it would be interesting to try. (A mirrored golem who is an Iron Goldem//Nerra, for example.) Does the player take the "Body of __" traits from only one of the creatures, and the class features of the other?

If you don't know, disregard this, I'm just curious.
    Don't know. My predecessor made the rules on that one.
    Go ahead and post Saint- I'll get to the Dream Larva.

No one got any comments on my brass golem? What about help on its maze ability?
    Right here, buddy.

Lix Lorn: Well, it's certainly much more readable! I'll add it.

Hunefer: What magicyop said.

1/2 CR creatures:
    I'm under the impression that these are turned into 1 level classes and buffed slightly.
    Yeah, but they're just as bad to start off with as an epic level creature- they're easy to make, but devilishly tricky to make well.

I would strongly recommend going over all the old ones (maybe make that a sub project) and check them for balance. For example, the Werewolf has the ability to rapidly gain size modifiers in excess of what is "normal" for a werewolf. Some thematic abilities are okay. Others that break the theme are less so.
    That is a task for another time.

Hmmm...I see. I'm sorry that this is taking so long. However I had a thought. what if we went the final fantasy route. I'm thinking that the phoelarch can give out one feather and if the person with that feather dies, he is raised as the raise dead spell. And maybe we could throw in the fire resistance, or even fire immunity. Just a thought.
    Ooooohhhh.... good idea. Make it work.
    And it's really me that's making it take so long: I'm sure my predecessor would've added it by now, but I want these things to be perfect.
    Also: your revised Phoenix has been added.

Werescorpion: The way you worded it, it only gains 1 claw attack in animal form. I assume it should get 2?
    You need to state how the poison is delivered, and it should really be deliverable every round, so long as it hits. Does it work in hybrid form?
    Natural attacks need to be either xdx+str mod for primary attacks and xdx+1/2 str mod for secondary. Also, you need to state which is primary and which is secondary.
    You used Rouge.
    Speaking of which, Scorpion power is a bit... loaded. Bonuses to a bunch of skills, 2 feats (one decent, one bad), sneak attack dice, AND climb speed? Whew. It also needs some rewording.
    Sharpened tail also needs rewording.
    Quick Tail needs to go. That's 6 attacks per AoO at level 18, and if you get combat reflexes and you're colossal, that's just silly.
    Anyways, it really should get the regular DR/silver.
    Also:
    Spoiler
    Show

Gargoyle: It isn't a finesse fighter, it's a brute fighter, give it 3/4 BAB and +1 strength every level. Why don't people seem to get that?
    I'd delay the sneak attack to every even level- don't want it to be a better choice than the rogue, eh?
    Stone Facade: I like it, but if it ain't broken, don't fix it. The knowledge thing is a bit convoluted- why not give it stonecunning with respect to structures?
    Otherwise... a little vanilla. Anyone have any suggestions for abilities to give the Gargoyle? Something stone related, certainly. Maybe hide in plain sight when against a rock wall or in/on a building, then able to use the bluff check ability as a free action?
    Maybe a feature of the gargoyle could be adaptations? Y'know, going one way turns you into an aquatic gargoyle, or makes you bigger and stronger, gives you four arms, a connection to Fiends, that kind of stuff.
    This? This would work, something like the upgrades/evolutions/whatevers on the golems- you get to choose an ability at, say, level 3. One might be 2 more claws, one might be horns that give one powerful attack, one might be gaining the swim speed outright without losing flight, one might be the connection to fiends (+1 charisma and a scaling SLA?), the works.

New guy here, though I've been lurking a while. I've seen other beasties from the Epic Level Handbook get made, and some of them my favorites, but there's a few that weren't requested, so I figured "why not."

Hagunemnon (if possible)

Mu Spore (if possible)

Uvuudaum

Worm that Walks

I look forward to the Atropal and Phaethon classes, too (if I remember right, someone was working on them).
    This is probably going to sound pretty selfish, but I refuse to post those to the first page on account of just how massively labor intensive epic level classes are. Sorry.

Cheshire Cat: Cool beans.
    State it doesn't have fine manipulation, unless it actually does.
    It shouldn't get confusion as an SLA until at least 5 HD.
    Controlled Invisibility... start with allowing only parts of the body to become invisible, the 20% miss chance. At 3rd level of the class, allow it to make its whole body invisible but its smile, granting 50% concealment. Finally, at 7 HD, then you can give it total at will invisibility. I'd let it not be seen by a see invisibility spell at a certain HD, then at a really high HD not even true seeing.
    Link to madness domain and reword to be similar to the Planetouched. Scale the uses- 1/5 HD? Also, link to madness domain.
    Whispy Voice should be given at 1st level, then upgraded to swift actions at 3rd. Just a suggestion.
    Maybe give a little bit of dexterity/charisma?

Zemro: Combine the 1st and 2nd options: 1d6+str at first, then every 3 HD another 1d6 up to 6d6 at 18 HD. All +str, of course.
    Anyways, could I get a link to the class? I really don't feel like an archive dive today.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

24. - Top - End - #804

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    Bleakborn:
    Check out the marraenoloth and try to balance it against that. I think the latter creature is a good bit more powerful.
    The bleakborn focuses on melee combat and draining effects whereas the marraenoloth is focused on skills and magic. It's hard to compare the two.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ettin in the Playground

Shaedling

Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Fey body, Wall of darkness, Sleeping curse, +1 Dex
    2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    | Create Shadow Gossamer, +1 Dex, +1 Cha[/table]
    HD = d6

Proficiencies: The Shaedling gains Proficiencies with light armor, light sheilds, simple weapons and 1 martial weapon of its choice.

Skills4+int modfier (X4 at first level)
    Class Skills Bluff, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Hide, Listen, Move Silently & Spot.

Fey body: At first level, a Shadeling loses all other racial bonuses and gains fey traits (basically darkvision 60' and low light vision). It is a medium sized fey with a base speed of 30ft. The shaedling has wings, but isn't initially able to fly; nevertheless, they gain a +4 bonus to jump checks.

At 4th HD, it gains the ability to fly with a speed of 40ft+5/HD with average maneuverability.

Wall of darkness: Once a per day per HD a Shaedling can create a wall of darkness up to 30 ft long. This blocks the line of sight of those who do not have darkvision.

Sleeping curse: Once a per day per HD a Shaedling is able to enchant a weapon it is holding with a sleeping curse as a swift action; this lasts for 1 round per level, or until discharged. Upon striking an enemy with the weapon, the curse is discharged and they must succeed on a DC (10+1/2 HD+Cha mod) will save or fall asleep then and there for 1d6 rounds.

Ability Score Increase: At first level, the Shaedling gains +1 dexterity; at second level, it gains an additional +1 dexterity and +1 charisma.

Create Shadow Gossamer: At 2nd level, once per HD per day, the Shaedling is able to create a mundane, inky black weapon, shield or tool of 15 pounds or lighter and with a value of no more than 10 gp/HD as a swift action. At 3 HD the item fuctions like masterwork, and the Shaedling may make masterwork tools regardless of cost. At 6 HD any weapons or shield gain an equivalent +1 enhancement bonus, plus 1 for every 3 HD beyond 6 up to +5 at 18 HD. These items last for 2 rounds/HD and will instantly dissipate into nothingness if they leave the Shaedling's hands.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-10-30 at 01:06 PM.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

26. - Top - End - #806
    Orc in the Playground

Zemro: Combine the 1st and 2nd options: 1d6+str at first, then every 3 HD another 1d6 up to 6d6 at 18 HD. All +str, of course.
    Anyways, could I get a link to the class? I really don't feel like an archive dive today.
    Done and updated, the class itself is way back in Post #594

27. - Top - End - #807

Your version works and right now im going to post all the creatures that you missed.
    Shaedling
    The Bleakborn
    Lammasu
    Black Dragon
    SHADOWPERSON
    Arcadian Avenger
    Giths
    Brass Golem
    The WereScorpion
    Gargoyle
    Phoenix(improved)
    Malebranche
    Dwarf Ancestor
    Purple Worm
    Edit: Gorgon&evirone, I really dont mind if someone takes my finshed monster and rewords it,I know i dont write very well so I'll give the right of rewording of my class to anyone but you will only do it once it's done.
    Last edited by monkman; 2010-10-29 at 08:06 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #808

Yay, Gorgon is back! I'm glad you survived the Timberwolf's wrath.

This is probably going to sound pretty selfish, but I refuse to post those to the first page on account of just how massively labor intensive epic level classes are. Sorry.
    Not at all-- after screwing with the Dream Larva for almost a month, I can definitely admit you were right.

However... I would like to point out that Worm that Walks is not so bad. Even though it is an epic level template-- it only has a CR adjustment of +3. So it would only be a 3 level class with epic level entry requirements. Which is not nearly so bad as the big 20+ level classes (Although it still has the problem of being epic level and thus having difficult to balance abilities).

Will have Saint posted momentarily, thank you.

Also, did you ever get around to adding Evolved Undead to the list? I know it's not my class, but it's really cool and I'd like to see it playable one day.
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-10-29 at 08:00 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

You may want to mention what action Shadow Gossamer is, as it may come up in combat.
    Dragonborn Gnome avatar by the ever-lovely Derjuin!

30. - Top - End - #810

Saint
    Prestige/Template Monster Class
    Book of Exalted Deeds

Spoiler
    Show

Prerequisites:
    To become a Saint, a player must meet the following requirements.
    HD: 6+
    Alignment: Any good.
    Type: Any except Construct or Undead.
    Special: Must catch the attention of a good deity, outsider, or other powerful being with your exemplary deeds. To complete the process of becoming a saint, you must make an extraordinary sacrifice for the good of another person, though this need not be of your own life, it must be a sacrifice which matters to you and which would not be considered an evil act.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will |Special
    1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Pure Body, Answered Prayers, Exalted Strength, +1 Cha
    2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Countenance of Light, Saintly Touch, +1 Cha[/table]

HD: D10
    Skill Points: 2+Int Modifier per level.
    Class Skills: Concentration, Heal, Ride, Knowledge(Religion), Diplomacy.

Proficiencies: Saints gain no weapon or armor proficiencies.

Pure Body: Unlike other monster classes, the creature's original racial traits are retained. The Saint becomes a Native Outsider, with the augmented subtype if necessary.

The Saint gains low-light vision and 60 ft. darkvision, unless it already had better darkvision. They have a +4 racial bonus on saves against poison and disease.

Ability Increase: The Saint gains +1 Cha at each level, for a total bonus of +2 Cha.

Answered Prayers: When a Saint prays, their prayers are always answered. They are the favored of the beings of greater good. A Saint gains spell-like abilities according to their hit dice, as shown on the following table. All save DCs are equal to DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Charisma Modifier.
    {table=head]HD|Abilities
    1|Guidance, Resistance, Virtue at will.
    6|Bless at will, Shield of Faith 1/day.
    10|Aid 3/day, Consecrate 1/day.
    14|Prayer at will.
    18|Atonement 1/day.[/table]
    Your abilities each gain another daily use every 5 HD.

Exalted Strength: The Saint gains DR/evil equal to half their HD. They gain fast healing equal to half their HD, unless they had better fast healing before. Additionally, they gain immunity to petrification, and either acid, cold, or electricity. For every 10 HD they have, they may become immune to another of these energy types.

A Saint also gains their wisdom modifier as an insight bonus to their armor class.

Countenance of Light: At 2nd level, a Saint swells with holy power which provides it protection even in its darkest hour. As a free action, a Saint may activate this ability. It shines as a flame, epitomizing all that is good in the world. It sheds bright light in a 20 ft. radius. This acts as a Magic Circle against Evil with a radius of 20 ft. combined with a Globe of Invulnerability with a radius of 20 ft. The Globe of Invulnerability excludes spells of a level maximum of 1/2 your HD - 3.

Saintly Touch: A Saint's touch is renowned for being able to heal the sick, cure the injured, or even inflict righteous power upon their foes. You deal an additional 1d6 damage on any attack against an evil creature, any weapon you pick up or use is good-aligned. You may choose one of the following saint touches:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Purifying Touch: Your touch carries the effects of Purify Food and Drink, Bless Water, Remove Disease, and Neutralize Poison. Bless Water, Remove Disease, and Neutralize poison may be used 1/day per 4 HD, while Purify Food and Drink may be used at will.
    • Curing Touch: Your touch carries the effects of Cure Light Wounds. You may not touch yourself to heal.
    • Calming Touch: The target of your touch is subject to Calm Emotions for one hour or until violent actions are taken against them, unless they succeed on a will save with DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Charisma Modifier.
    • Blessed Protection: Any object that you touch is treated as if the spell Forbiddance had been cast on it, except that only evil creatures take damage when trying to enter the area, and only evil creatures are blocked from planar travel into the area. This lasts for 1 day/2HD, instead of being permanent. Also, it deals only 2d6 damage to creatures attempting to enter.
    • Righteous Hammer: Any nongood creature which you touch takes 1d6 damage per 2 HD, plus the 1d6 which you normally get against evil creatures. You add another d6 if the target is in the process of undertaking an evil act.
    • Uplifted Spirit: Anyone who you lay your hand upon gains a +2 morale bonus on all rolls for 24 hours. You may do this 1/day per 4 HD.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Saint is supposed to be a symbol of all that a good character should be, someone who is genuinely caring, who does not hold themselves above others, but who can still be a holy and deadly force when confronted with a great evil. It was actually fairly easy to make, it converts to the monster class format with moderate ease. The biggest problem is, in the BoED, the template is especially difficult to acquire, and WotC uses that as reasoning for giving it a low CR adjustment and lots of benefits. I halved the ability bonuses to try and make it balanced, and made it so you don't acquire all of the energy immunities till 20th level, though I think a better thing to do might be to simply give them one of the energy immunities and call it a day.

Changelog
    Spoiler
    Show
    10/29/2010:
    • Skill points reduced to 2+Int from 4+Int
    • Constructs and Undead may not enter.
    • Answered Prayers now scales with HD.
    • Countenance now scales in terms of the globe.
    • Purifying Touch is not at will for the most part.
    • Uplifted Spirit is not at will.
    • Forbiddance deals reduced damage.
    • Righteous Hammer now scales.

11/07/2010:
    • BAB is now only 3/4.
    • Fortitude Save is now poor.
    • Exalted Strength has been separated from Pure Body.
    • Countenance now only protects against spell levels of 1/2 HD - 3, instead of 1/2 HD - 1.
    • Calming Touch has been simplified to just be Calm Emotions.

11/08/2010:
    • Save DCs stated outright.
    • No wisdom bonus.

11/10/2010:
    • No constitution bonus.
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-11-10 at 04:35 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew: