New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default WindStruck's Alone Against the Flames IC

For reference this is taken from Alone Against the Flames written by Mike Mason, Paul Fricker, and Gavin Inglis, thank you!

Do You Hear the Call of Cthulhu?
    “The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
    —H. P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu

Welcome to Call of Cthulhu, a Horror/Investigative roleplaying game of mystery wherein you, an ordinary person, shall encounter and confront the terrifying alien forces of the Cthulhu mythos. Now, to begin is quite simple, and this first introduction shall operate similar to a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure story (this is done in order to help with an easy transition between the investigation-heavy Call of Cthulhu, and most other RPGs). Nevertheless, it is time to begin... welcome, to Alone Against the Flames.

----
    Unknown New England Town, 2:44 PM, September 1st, 1921.

The sun is high in the sky, a merciless ball of heat. You feel scorched by the time you reach the bus halt in front of Osborn’s Drug Store. It’s a relief to put down your heavy cases and take off your hat for a moment. You fan your face. It has been a long summer here, in your hometown, and yet a curiously empty one.
    You look across the street at the grubby butcher’s shop, the grocers with its faded awning, and the shabby tobacconist. Mistrustful faces glare at you as they pass, eyeing your clothes and luggage. It was your parents’ choice to live here, not yours. You were happy down south as a child, among Providence’s white-walled houses and leafy churchyards. Perhaps this new job in Arkham will supply the change you need.
    Yet everybody you know in the world lives here. You know nobody in Arkham, not one soul. You ask yourself one last
    time if you are doing the right thing.
    The answer is here. None of your supposed friends have come to see you off. You are alone. Whatever challenges lie in Arkham, it will be a new life, and a brave one.
    A small gray motor coach approaches and rattles to a stop. You put your hat back on and pick up your cases.

Two young men with sullen expressions alight from the coach. One looks you up and down before heading away. The driver also steps down, glancing at you before crossing the road to visit the tobacconist. When he returns, he is rolling a cigarette between his yellowed fingers. He gives it a final twist and examines you as he reaches for his matchbox. He is a thin man in his fifties, dressed in a stained shirt with the bus company emblem. Yet his eyes are sharp in their dark sockets.
    Where to?

You show him your ticket for Ossipee. From there you will connect to Rochester and Portsmouth, before the coastal line to Newburyport and, finally, Arkham. You should be able to afford a rail ticket for at least some of the way; otherwise this will be the first of many long bus trips.
    Mmm-hm.” The driver scratches the match and lights his cigarette. The end flares as he takes a draw. Then he exhales and gestures to the back of the coach. “Luggage rack’s up there.

----
    In Call of Cthulhu (somewhat like most other RPGs) there are eight characteristics Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Appearance, Size, Power, Education, and Intelligence
    • Strength: This is a measure of the physical prowess of your investigator
    • Dexterity: This is a measure of the agility and speed of your investigator
    • Constitution: This is a measure of the physical toughness and stamina of your investigator
    • Appearance: This is a measure of the physical appeal of your investigator
    • Size: This is a combined measure of your investigator's height and weight, also used in determining their force behind their attacks and health
    • Power: This is a measure of your investigator's mental stability, force of will, or spirit
    • Intelligence: This is a measure of the logic and cunning of your investigator
    • Education: This is a measure of your investigator's tutelage, be it from formal education or the "school of hard knocks"

For the very early image you have of your character, please rank these characteristics in whatever order you choose. No need for anything other than this right now. Also, yes, I understand that this is not really your standard introduction to an In-Character Thread, but let's roll with it!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Wind Struck's Alone Against the Flames IC

It was so hot in this accursed town! Even under the meager shade of the bus stop, Deirdre had to resort to taking off her hat and fanning herself. It was her favorite one, a red bucket hat with little pale pink roses ringed around the gold ribbon. Kind of gaudy and unique compared to the trends going around at the time, but she never really could stand doing what everyone else was doing. Maybe yet another reason she was leaving...

The mistrustful faces of those across the street didn't help her as she reconsidered her choice one last time. All these years living in this town, and she still felt unwelcome. The creeps staring at her.. well, maybe they weren't exactly creeps. Everyone around here seemed too stiff, way too serious about church. She recalled one time her parents had a little homemade barbecue one Sunday when one of her father's old buddies from university came to town on a surprise visit. Everyone from church was stopping by later that day asking why they missed mass. They were sure never to miss such an occasion again.

Maybe that's why they just looked at her funny. They hated her dainty little summer dress, even though it didn't show that much skin, and they hated the thought of an independent woman striking off on her own. Though the 'independent' part perhaps had yet to be determined.. Acting was becoming a viable career, and many prominent people did it. Albeit, not everyone was cut out for it. Well, regardless, if it didn't work out, she'd have to figure something out. In her gut, she knew she wasn't coming back here.

Deidre stepped back, giving the two young men plenty of leeway for hopping out of the bus, before also nodding and smiling nervously to the driver who all but ignored her as he made a beeline for the tobacco shop. When he returned and asked where she was going, Deidre said, "I'm heading to Ossipee. By chance does your route also go to Rochester?"

She blinked as the driver oafishly informed her where the luggage rack was without a single consideration. She had quite a few bags... With a sigh, she grasps the smallest of her bags and steps onto the bus with her heeled sandals, deliberately going a bit slow so as he hopefully gets the hint. She stows it on the rack. Still nothing. Next luggage piece, it takes a bit of effort for Deidre to maneuver it up the narrow bus entry and reach the luggage rack in the back, wobbly and unsteady all the way. It was still a pretty tight space inside and she was finding it difficult to get this thing above her head. "Urgh.. A little help, please??"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Stats ranked from best to least.

Appearance
    Power
    Intelligence
    Dexterity
    Education
    Constitution
    Size
    Strength
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-08-29 at 04:17 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The driver smokes and watches as you drag your cases to the back of the motor coach. The rack is set inconveniently high on the vehicle.

The driver continues to enjoy his cigarette, watching with keen interest as you struggle with the cases. He does absolutely nothing as you grit your teeth and eventually heave the final one into place. Perhaps the residents of Arkham will have better manners.

The driver flicks his cigarette into the gutter and steps into the motor coach, giving nothing but an affirmative grunt at your previous query. The engine of the coach coughs into life. You board, grateful that you will be the only passenger for the initial part of your trip at least. With mixed emotions, you watch from the window as the tired avenues of your old home slip behind you, receding into the distance. For a few minutes, you can still see the church spire over the brow of a low hill. Then the road dips and it, too, is gone.
    Arkham is your new home. You will travel there, and make a new start.
    ----

Note that you have a sanity score that is based on your power, throughout the game this sanity score will most likely fluctuate wildly. In addition, you have a number of Magic Points also based on said power. This will deplete and over time eventually return back to its original score. However, in all likelihood, magic points shall rarely be used by an investigator early on in their career, but it is important to note that they do exist.
    ----

The coach putters through the countryside. At first, the interior is stifling and your stomach lurches with every bend in the road. However, the driver opens his window, and by switching seats you find a spot where the breeze hits your face. You soon relax into the journey, observing the quaint little hamlets that the coach serves. A heavy-set woman boards at one settlement and gives you a polite nod. She gets off at the next one.
    ----

You have a certain amount of hit points based on both your Constitution and Size. Your current may drop and recover (albeit slowly), but it is unlikely to ever exceed its maximum.
    You also have something called a "Luck score." This is used to represent when circumstances external to your investigator are in question, and also when determining the fickle hand of fate. Please give me 3d6 to assist in generating your beginning luck.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: a prayer to dice gods
    Show
    (3d6)[6][2][5](13)

Aw, you could have done this! Though perhaps it's more fair for me to spin my own fate, despite the fact that I have absolutely no control what number pops up...

So, 13 is an above average roll! But it's also "unlucky" 13.. I don't know what to make of this, lol.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-08-29 at 10:28 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Aw, you could have done this! Though perhaps it's more fair for me to spin my own fate, despite the fact that I have absolutely no control what number pops up...[/SPOILER]
    Indeed, however, I do feel a bit weird about rolling for players too much, so for now I'll have you be doing most of the rolling where you concerned. Also, it helps break up my posts so they're not utterly gargantuan .

----
    The road rises a little, passing cornfields and orchards. The leaves are turning and the trees are alive with glorious reds and golds. You have just begun to doze when the driver takes a tight bend at speed.

----
    Please now give me a Dexterity roll. What this means is that you'll be rolling a d100 and comparing it to your Dexterity. For now, I hold your stats (mwahahahah), but eventually, I'll hand the character over to you once I feel like you've got a good handle on the mechanics (presumably at the end of the adventure)! So, just give me the d100 roll (yes, I know, yet another die roll I could have done on my lonesome).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

dexterity check: (1d100)[29]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You rolled below your dexterity, which means that you have succeeded on your role. Interestingly, in Call of Cthulhu, your stats are what actually determine the difficulty of your attempt as opposed to a set DC like in D&D.
    ----

A desperate yell awakens you. You feel yourself slide from the seat as the driver spins the wheel and the motor-coach plunges off the road. You grab hold of the seat in front, just in time to prevent a painful fall. The coach stops with a thump.
    Now you see what has happened. A Fordson tractor has stopped in the road and your driver has had to swerve to avoid this steel obstacle. He leaps from his seat into the road, unleashing a string of curses at the farmer.
    You take a moment to catch your breath. Perhaps you should offer assistance? But the driver has already returned. He backs the coach up a little and threads it around the tractor, glaring at the farmer.

You resume your journey. The driver takes the curves with more caution than before. He glances over his shoulder at you a couple of times.
    Sorry about before,” he says. “That fella was dumber than a hog. I’m Silas. What’s your name?

The accident was at least as much Silas’s fault as the farmer’s. But it doesn’t seem shrewd to antagonize the man while he is driving you through the middle of nowhere.
    ----

Now, you've already chosen Deidre, but just for my persnickety bookkeeping purposes, what is her last name? You may also note your age; for the purposes of this adventure, your character should probably be aged between 23 and 36.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

It was surprising to have the driver finally talk to her. After being wordless the entire time and refusing to help with the baggage... Still, best to put on some good behavior while under the man's mercy. She didn't want him to have another "accident". Deirdre takes a half moment to work up a smile and finally says, "Deirdre."

Spoiler: ooc info
    Show
    Let's say.. Deirdre McCoy.

Age is likely on the younger end. I imagine a young lass who dreamed of grandeur and knew she had the looks for it. She could be 23, maybe a bit younger if you allow it. 20? Given the the picture of the hometown we painted, I don't think she'd make it much further through adulthood before either being locked into some marriage or doomed to a spinsterhood.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Age is likely on the younger end. I imagine a young lass who dreamed of grandeur and knew she had the looks for it. She could be 23, maybe a bit younger if you allow it. 20? Given the the picture of the hometown we painted, I don't think she'd make it much further through adulthood before either being locked into some marriage or doomed to a spinsterhood.
    20 is fine, that range was just a general idea to help lubricate the gears in your head.
    ----

The coach turns onto a narrower road, which weaves uphill through woodland. Silas becomes chatty.
    Going to Arkham, eh? Can’t say I ever heard of the place. Went to Boston once. Didn’t like it. Too much hustle and bustle. You got family there? A special someone waiting?
    The afternoon is wearing on. You see no harm in confiding in Silas about your new life.
    A job, eh? What’s your line?
    ----

Now the most common investigators are generally journalists, P.I.s, etc... however you mentioned earlier that Deidre is working on becoming an actress, so which of these fits that the most do you think?
    • Artist (an actress dedicated to the craft of acting itself)
    • Entertainer (something more glamorous and showy)
    • Musician (musical theatre/opera)

Alternatively, if the actress thing was just a random idea, we can work with something else.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

"No..." Deirdre replies after Silas asks if there was anyone waiting in Arkham for her. She chuckles to herself a bit and says, "I noticed an ad in the paper years ago, seeking talented actresses in a city called Arkham, Massachusetts. I've seen it every now and then, but I lost the clippings... It's the only opportunity like that I've heard of, and, well, I never heard of Arkham either... I have a feeling things will work out. It might just be a small enough place to get my foot in the door, get some real acting experience, and have a shot at Broadway."

After confiding her big plan to Silas she blushed. It really was a long shot, wasn't it?

------------

Entertainer it is, though I suppose the distinction is she wants to be one. Deirdre likely has the skills to pull it off from a few plays she did and literature and dance she has studied.

Plus add in a mysterious newspaper ad that is fuzzy to recall and can't be found anymore to be the strange lure of an eldritch god.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As you mention the possibility of an acting job, and Silas looks back and forth between you and the road a couple of times. "An actress? For Broadway?" Silas seems confused, as if he presumed that somehow plays just performed themselves.
    ----

You gain the following occupational skills: Art/Craft (Acting), Disguise, Listen, and Psychology. In addition, you're quite adept with interpersonal skills, so please choose your preferred two methods of communication from the following four:
    • Charm - physical attraction, seduction, flattery, or simply warmth of personality.
    • Fast Talk - specifically limited to verbal trickery, deception, and misdirection, such as bamboozling a bouncer to let you inside a club, getting someone to sign a form they haven't read, making a policeman look the other way, and so on.
    • Intimidate - browbeating or making verbal threats to get your way.
    • Persuade - convince a person of a particular idea, concept, or belief through reasoned argument, debate, and discussion (although this does not necessarily have to employ the truth).

You'll also be able to choose what else you have studied in your quest to become a Broadway actress in the next post (i.e. a knowledge of history to really understand a time period, or another language to immerse yourself in the play of another culture, etc...).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre appears confused at the driver's reaction as well. Maybe that dream was just way too out there for him to grasp?

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Let's go with Charm and Persuasion. Deirdre will be a nice gal, not a scary, manipulative *****.

As for areas of study, I am imagining classical literature, as well as current pop culture... as if that counts as a study subject. Then again, in the 1920s, I bet it's more difficult to know the ins and outs of the popular happenings going on without internet or TV.

Anything else, or will that do?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-08-29 at 02:45 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

We're closing in, there's still a bit more though. You may now choose two skills from the following list that you would perceive to be related to Deidre's growing acting career (maybe related towards her preference towards pop culture?). I'll also provide a short sentence description or so for each.
    Spoiler: Skills (so many)
    Show
    • Accounting - understanding of accountacy procedures; reveals the financial functioning of a business or a person.
    • Antropology - identify and understand an individual's or culture's way of life throuh observation
    • Appraise - estimate the value of a particular item, including the quality, material used, and workmanship.
    • Archeology - allows dating and idetifying artifacts from past cultures as well as detecting fakes
    • Arts/Crafts (you have this one) - allows the creation, making, or repair of an item which could be artistic (painting, singing, etc...) or craft-related (woodworking, cookery, etc...). Each one requires its own choice.
    • Charm (you have this one) - physical attraction, seduction, flattery, or simply warmth of personality.
    • Climb - climb trees, walls, and other vertical surfaces with or without ropes or climbing gear.
    • Disguise (you have this one) - used whenever you wish to appear to be someone other than whom you are.
    • Dodge - allows one to instinctively evade blows, thrown missiles, and so forth.
    • Drive Auto - drive a car or light truck, make ordinary maneuvers, and cope with ordinary vehicle problems.
    • Electrical Repair - repair or reconfigure electrical equipment, such as auto ignitions, electric motors, fuse boxes, and burglar alarms.
    • Fast Talk - specifically limited to verbal trickery, deception, and misdirection, such as bamboozling a bouncer to let you inside a club, getting someone to sign a form they haven't read, making a policeman look the other way, and so on.
    • Fighting - one's skill in melee combat. There are also different specializations such as Sword, Axe, Spear, or Whip, which each require their own choice.
    • Firearms - covers all manner of firearms, as well as bows and crossbows. There are different specializations including Handguns, Rifles/Shotguns, Bows, and Crossbows
    • First Aid - emergency medical care, not for diseases (see Medicine).
    • History - recall a historical detail or event, the significance of a country, city, region, or person, as pertinent.
    • Intimidate - browbeating or making verbal threats to get your way.
    • Other Language - Knowledge (ability to understand, speak, read, and write) of a language that's not your own. Each language is its own choice.
    • Own Language - Knowledge of your own language (presumably English)
    • Law - represents the chance of knowing pertinent law, precedent, legal maneuvers, or court procedure.
    • Library Use - Find a piece of information, such as a certain book, newspaper, reference in a library, or a collection of documents (assuming there's information to be found).
    • Listen (you have this one) - interpret and understand sound, including overheard conversations, mutters behind a closed door, and whispered words in a cafe.
    • Locksmith - open car doors, hotwire autos, jimmy libtary windows, figure out Chinese puzzle boxes, and penetrate ordinary alarm systems.
    • Mechanical Repair - repair a broken machine or create a new one.
    • Medicine - diagnose and treat accidents, injuries, diseases, poisonings, etc...
    • Natural World - represents the traditional (unscientific) knowledge and personal observation of farmers, fishermen, inspired amateurs, and hobbyists.
    • Navigate - take the correct path to a destination, whether in a strange city or the wilderness.
    • Occult - recognize occult paraphernalia, words and concepts, as well as folk traditions; can also identify grimoires of magic and occult codes.
    • Operate Heavy Machinery - required to drive and operate a train, steam engine, bulldozer, or other large-scale land machine.
    • Persuade (you have this one) - convince a person of a particular idea, concept, or belief through reasoned argument, debate, and discussion (although this does not necessarily have to employ the truth).
    • Pilot - allows the safe operation of a boat, aircraft, or dirigible. Each one is its own skill.
    • Psychoanalysis - refers to the range of emotional therapies.
    • Psychology (you have this) - perception, common to all humans, to form an idea of another person's motives and character, and detect if a person is lying.
    • Ride - applies to saddle horses, donkeys, and mules, granting knowledge of basic care of the riding anaimal, riding gear, and how to handle the steed at a gallop or on difficult terrain.
    • Science - practical and theoretical ability with a science specialty gained from some degree of formalized education and training, although a well-read amateur scientist may also be a possibility. These specializations include: Astronomy, Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Cryptography, Geology, Pharmacy, Physics, Zoology, etc... Each one is its own skill.
    • Sleight of Hand - allows the visual covering-up, secreting, or masking of an object or objects, perhaps with debris, cloth, or other illusion-promoting materials.
    • Spot Hidden - find a secret door or compartment, notice a hidden intruder, see an inconspicuous clude, recognize a repainted automobile, become aware of ambushers, etc. - an important skill in the armory of an investigator.
    • Stealth - when attempting to avoid detection, moving quietly, and hiding without alerting those who might hear or see.
    • Survival - expertise required to survive in extreme conditions, such as in desert or arctic conditions, as well as on the sea or in wilderness terrain. Each environment is its own skill.
    • Swim - ability to float and to move through water or other liquid in times of crisis or danger.
    • Throw - hit a target with an object.
    • Track - follow a person, vehicle, or animal over earth, and through plants.

Oh boy, that was long. I listed all of them for later reference, as well as to let you know that as long as it makes sense, any of these can be involved in your occupation. So, with all that out of the way, choose two!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    let's go with:

Other Language: French - France was likely considered the height of romanticism and culture at this time. Especially before the wars...

Natural World - Some of that "common knowledge", folk tales, and otherwise superstition from her small hometown likely rubbed off on Deirdre.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Both of those would make sense, thanks! Now it's time to rank them. So to recap, the ones you chose (plus whatever you're automatically given) were: Art/Craft (Acting), Listen, Disguise, Psychology, Charm, Persuade, Other Language (French), and Natural World. Please provide me with an order of your expertise for these skills.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: skills!
    Show
    from best to ... not as good

Charm
    Art/Craft (acting)
    Persuade
    Art/Craft (literature)
    Arts/Craft (singing)
    Listen
    Psychology
    Disguise
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-08-29 at 09:29 PM. Reason: revised skill list

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You realize Silas hasn’t made a stop since the incident with the tractor. The motor coach winds its way uphill. However, your thoughts are interrupted as the road crests a ridge and you are treated to a magnificent view of the vista below.
    A creek snakes through the valley, breaking the rich autumn palette of the tree line. In the distance the White Mountains rise into hazy cloud. There is no settlement, not even a cabin, as far as the eye can see. Birds drift through the treetops, and you can just make out what might be two white-tailed deer lingering by the water.
    Perhaps you are making a mistake by moving to the city. Could you survive on your own in this lush wilderness? Nevertheless, you shake your head, it was a moment's doubt, this is surely the first step to everything you've ever wanted! Lights, photos, dazzling dresses, you can see it all...
    ----

In addition to your occupational skills, your investigator gains four personal interest skills that may be chosen from the massive list a couple of posts ago. These represent things that might not entirely be entwined with your occupation but still make up Deirdre as a person. In addition, note that while you might not choose a skill like "Climb" to be an occupational skill or a personal interest skill, you're still capable of climbing, you just have a higher percentage chance of falling.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: skills, part 2!
    Show
    Actually.

Since I just realized there's two sets of skills, one that describes Deirdre's profession, and another, which I guess is here interests or other parts of her life, mind if I make a small revision?

Since I didn't realize I should probably be more focused on her profession, I'd like to remove Natural World and French and replace it with Arts/Crafts (Literature) and (singing). The new list in order of rank would be:

Charm
    Art/Craft (acting)
    Persuade
    Art/Craft (literature)
    Arts/Craft (singing)
    Listen
    Psychology
    Disguise

Then, on Deirdre's personal interest skills, I will put those skills I displaced in, among the others. Her personal interest skills, in order of rank (haha, cause I bet you will ask me to do so) would be:

Arts/Crafts (Fashion Design)
    Other Language (French)
    Arts/Crafts (Cooking)
    Natural World

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Then, on Deirdre's personal interest skills, I will put those skills I displaced in, among the others. Her personal interest skills, in order of rank (haha, cause I bet you will ask me to do so) would be:

Arts/Crafts (Fashion Design)
    Other Language (French)
    Arts/Crafts (Cooking)
    Natural World
    Hmmm... the ironic thing is that these are actually the ones I don't need to be ranked. But making revisions is completely fine. TBH, you could make revisions throughout this whole adventure if you so wish.
    ----

The motor coach rattles on through the hills and Silas lapses into silence. The sky darkens behind you, pinks tinting the clouds as the sun descends. Finally, a welcome sight comes into view: a settlement on the crest of a hill. This doesn’t look like the pictures you’ve seen of Ossipee. But perhaps you can persuade Silas to stop while you stretch your legs.
    Minutes later, a harsh stuttering from the engine interrupts your reverie. Silas frowns and rattles the gear stick. The motor coach falters in its ascent. Silas utters a curse you don’t recognize and grinds his teeth, struggling at the wheel. You seem to inch up the hill until you reach the first buildings, low dwellings constructed from a rough red stone. Silas wrestles the coach into a small bay off the road. He scrambles from his seat and makes for the engine compartment.
    ----

Now it is time to make our first skill check! However, I'm going to offer you the choice between two, but you could arguably think of doing something else and I'll rule what it would be for now. If you want to try both at the same time, you can try, but it would be much harder (inform me if you want to do this and I will detail what you would have to do). Do you think your character would go out and check on the car, if so, please give me a Drive Auto roll (a d100 which I will compare to your drive auto skill [you consider yourself an amateur in this field]), or does this all seem strangely convenient - breaking down right as you enter a village - and you'd like to guage Silas's reactions, if so, please give me a hard Psychology roll (a d100 which I will compare to half your Psychology skill [you consider yourself an amateur in this field]). Either way, roll a d100 and tell me which one you'd rather compare it to.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre frowns as the car stutters, becoming more and more worried that the little bus won't make it up the hill. It would be a terrifying thing if it went careening down the hill backwards! Thankfully the bus managed to stop somewhere safely just on the town's edge.

Deirdre didn't know anything about cars. As far as she knew, the technology still needed much in the way of improvements, it was an old rickety bus, and it probably went up one too many hills before something gave way. Silas, the driver, surely knew way more than her. She also had no reason to suspect anything. Sure, the bus breaking down right now was pretty "convenient". Convenient for Deirdre because she wanted to stretch her legs. But the thought that anything else might be going on, like a driver rigging his vehicle to break down at a certain point, never crossed her mind.

With much relief to be in some kind of settlement, and with the bus safely stopped, Deidre casually steps out of the bus and stretches, peering about the town in the sunset light. She slowly walks around the bus with a wide berth, giving the man plenty of room to work and staying clear of the smoke, and she coos, "Everything alright, Silas?"

Show
    Of course, option #3!

I'll just roll for Charm to.. uh.. hopefully calm Silas, put him in a better mood.. (maybe stop him from hitting something in rage and permanently breaking something in the bus).

(1d100)[23]

This is ok, right? I wasn't really interested in the other options, so may as well consider them a fail.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-08-29 at 09:21 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Of course there's no reason to think that. I more meant that if you think your character was a bit paranoid or generally suspicious, but hey, that's what options are for, right?
    ----

Silas opens the engine compartment open and sticks his head inside. The hot metal pops and sizzles. He pokes at various components, then withdraws and wipes his brow, smearing it with dark grease. He looks over at Deirdre and shakes his head apologetically.
    I ain’t sure what’s wrong. Might be the oil pressure. Might be something knocked off kilter when we took that spill. Can’t do much until the engine cools neither. And with the light failing… I reckon we’ll be here through the night. I think I might have a place but for you...” He wipes his hands on a rag.
    The shadows from your surroundings are already long, and the air is chilly. You feel stiff from the journey and a night in the rickety coach sounds unappealing. Silas sees your dismay, and as you turn on the charm, as expected a look of sympathy falls upon his face.
    Hey, Deirdre, right? Look, this here’s Emberhead. Miles from anyplace. I only come through twice a week. But the folks here are good people. May Ledbetter keeps a spare room. She’ll look after you. Up that alley, turn right, first house on the left.
    He scratches his cheek, looks again into the engine compartment, and spits on the ground, and then tries to give a bit of a smile.
    Meet me back here at eight in the morning and we’ll see how’s we stand.
    ----

Now we're entering the more freeform part of the adventure. Nevertheless, given that this is still an introductory scenario. I'll be providing little prompts at the bottom of example things your character could attempt so that you can formulate a post in-line with general Call of Cthulhu ideas. In this instance, I have three optional possibilities (but obviously this is a roleplaying game so there's more too it than just these three options).
    1. Head out and look for this May Ledbetter's house
    2. Ask Silas where he's going to stay the night
    3. Challenge Silas about the breakdown

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

>> Option 1 <<

Deirde turns around as Silas explains the whereabouts of May Ledbetter's house to better comprehend the directions as he says them. She lets out a sigh, but this is seemingly the kindest the man has been yet. Well, technically he may be offering uncertain kindness of other strangers, but she wasn't going to complain. She manages a smile of her own. "Thank you, Silas. I'm sure you'll have it figured out in no time."

She makes her way back into the bus to grab a few things: her purse and one of her smaller luggage bags containing some essentials. After that she follows the directions Silas gave her. Down the alley, take a right, first house on the left...

Though she was in a strange town, knocking on a complete stranger's door, she would have instinctively tapped ever so lightly on it. But the residents inside likely wouldn't have heard it anyway, or perhaps been creeped out, thinking they were hearing things. Taking a deep breath Deirdre energetically raps on the door, with enough energy that the door seemed to shake, and her knuckles hurt a little bit. Well, at least she probably got it right the first time and wouldn't have to knock again.

Show
    Let's hope I don't have to roll Navigation just to follow these simple directions.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Foolishly I did not write this (I noted it in my notes but forgot to type it here ): It is important to note that you have succeeded in a skill check requested by me and/or of your own volition, but then affirmed by me (aka, you didn't just randomly roll a skill check). Most of the times when you succeed on a skill check, one should record (for this adventure I'll mark it down) that you succeeded and at the end of the adventure, should Deirdre still be playable, you shall have the opportunity to learn from befriending Silas.
    ----

You drag your cases between the sullen buildings. You feel surprisingly weary, considering you have spent all day sitting down. Silas’ directions lead you to a modest dwelling with a slate roof. A nameplate reads LEDBETTER, and underneath, a sign in neat copperplate reads, LODGING ROOM. The lane around you is gloomy, but a lamp flickers in the window.
    A breeze chills your face. You’re not about to begin your new life by sleeping in the street. You practically pound on the weatherbeaten door as the sound reverberates around you and for a second you feel slightly embarrassed.

After a moment, you hear footsteps inside the house. A bolt is drawn back and the wooden door swings open. A figure with loose curls and a rough-looking housedress peers at you. Her gaze takes in your traveling suit and your cases. Her voice has a slight Irish lilt.
    Hello. Should I take it as you’re looking for a room for the night?
    You enquire as to her rates, suppressing a grimace. As far as you’ve seen, the village does not offer you many alternatives.
    Oh, you’ll find them very reasonable,” she says. “You look tired. I’m May. Come inside and we’ll talk over a cup of tea.

The Ledbetter house feels cramped, with a low ceiling and simple fittings. But it is well kept and a cheerful fire crackles in the grate. The aroma of the tea is soothing and the cup warms your fingers.
    Have you come to Emberhead for the festival?” asks May.

----
    Again, just simple prompting, you do not have to follow these ideas at all.
    1. Do you want to explain what happened with Silas and his coach?
    2. Would you rather ask about what this festival is?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    this time, my choice would be both. But first thing is first. Deirdre would have dropped Silas's name as soon as possible and explained things.

The sound with which Deirdre knocked surprised even herself. Must be because how deadly quiet it seemed here. She should take that into account next time. Whenever she has to knock on a door again... she tries to compose herself as the door is opening.

“Hello. Should I take it as you’re looking for a room for the night?”

"Ah, yes.." Deirdre began nodding. "I.. well, you may know an older gentleman, Silas, who drives a bus through here on a weekly basis. His vehicle has broken down, and he recommended I stay the night here... Ms. Ledbetter? May?"

((Deirdre could inquire about rates after this for sure. Who knows, maybe May will be nice and offer a discount now!))

After introducing herself and getting a bit settled in, Deirdre then has tea with May next to a cozy fire.

“Have you come to Emberhead for the festival?”

Deidre obviously looks as though she has no idea what May is talking about, but intrigued nonetheless. "Well, no. I mean. I had no idea, really... I mean no offense, Ms. Ledbetter. It's just that I had never heard of Emberhead before, much less this festival. But perhaps if the bus can't be fixed in a timely manner, I will have no choice but to partake in the festivities," she says with a light chuckle. "What is this festival?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Emberhead, 7:35 PM, September 1st, 1921

It's true, the silence is... startling. There is virtually nothing around Deirdre with the exception of a couple of cricket chirps every now and again.
    As you mention Silas, May shakes her head and you glimpse a moment of deep-seated anger in her green eyes.
    He always drives too fast. Thinks the road is made for him and him alone. He hit a mare some years back, that was a terrible thing. You should have seen the state of the coach. You’d be surprised at the damage done.
    She sips her tea and gazes past you, into the corner of the room.
    With living here, though, we can’t afford to antagonize the man. He’s about the only link we have to the world at large. And he’s not a bad soul at heart. I suppose that going the same route for fifteen years makes a man careless. You have to forgive him.
    May goes silent for a long moment. Then her eyes flick back to you.
    Most importantly: call me May dearie. And I'm sure you didn’t come here to listen to me blather, and you must be hungry. I can rustle you up a bit of stew. How would that be?

As you both sip tea and eat a hearty stew in front of the fire, it crackles and you can't help but feel warm to the bone, maybe it's because you've been in a motor coach all day, or maybe it's because of how poorly insulated this home is, but either way, the fire is truly soothing. As you soon ask about the festival, May continues. “Well now, I suppose the Festival is about the only reason folks come to Emberhead. I thought you had maybe come to study it or take photographs. Well, it’s not tomorrow night but the night after. I suppose it looks very strange to a passerby.
    May tops up your tea. The spout chinks against your cup.
    We’ve got the Beacon, you see. One night every year there’s a torch-lit procession and we light the Beacon on the cliffs. You’ve never seen the like of it. They say it keeps the spirit of the village alive for another year. It’s a celebration. A celebration...
    She trails off for a moment, and blinks.

Emberhead, 8:33 PM, September 1st, 1921

In the silence, you view it as the prime time to ask again about her rates, and May names a price so low you accept it without hesitation. The room is small but comfortable, and the stew dark and hearty. After dinner, you have a little while before your usual bedtime. What would you like to do?
    ----

So, some provided ideas would include things like talking to May some more, investigating the town during the nighttime, or just heading off to bed, as it was a long day of travel.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

It was starting to get late, almost bed time. Deirdre was certainly weary from a long day which was on one hand rather dull, but still exciting overall. With a life-changing decision as she had made, one was always on edge. That could be why she felt tired from so much sitting. It's not like it was particularly comfortable sitting...

Despite sleep calling for her, Deirdre also felt a little restless and wandered out of her room in her nightclothes to chat with May just a little more.

Assuming May is still puttering around before she goes to sleep as well, Deidre asks, "May, when you say there's a torchlit procession and 'we' light the beacon, does that mean you and everyone in the village holds torches and goes up there?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-08-30 at 12:11 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

May nods, "As I said before, dearie. It's quite the sight to behold. In fact, I'd say it's one of the most spectacular nights of the year!" May chuckles to herself, and seemingly not noticing that you are in fact, rather weary continues on. "You know, in her letters my sister always asks if I’m not bored, living in such a small place. She lives in New York. Then she writes about how frightened she is to walk home at night! I ask you.
    You mention your hopes for a new life in Arkham, hoping to maybe cut the conversation a bit short. May doesn’t seem to hear you.
    It’s a small place here, yes, but that means we have real community. Everybody’s face is known. Everybody works together. Nobody is excluded. Except those who choose to exclude themselves, of course. I couldn’t live anywhere else now.
    ----

As she pauses, please give me a charm roll (you consider yourself a "professional").

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre probably wouldn't have minded listening to May chatter. It could even be considered enjoyable in some respects, but at the same time, she was getting really tired. Maybe the lady's words were fundamentally boring but it would still be kind of rude to fall asleep while she was talking, intentionally or not. After a bit more chatting, Deirdre tries to excuse herself so she can sleep.

charm: (1d100)[19]
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-08-30 at 12:36 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As the time wears on, May notices your lethargy and realizes that upbeat manner descends into something more reflective.
    It’s not always easy. I’m a widow, you know. We have a little money, and of course I appreciate the custom of travelers like yourself. I know we’ll never starve as long as we live here. But I don’t see myself marrying again. I know every man in this village. I know them too well, if you see what I mean. You know, I'm unsure why I'm telling you all this, but you're rather easy to talk to. I haven't had someone like that for a long time.
    Her mouth twists briefly, then she yawns and pushes a hand through her hair, it seems as if your protestations have finally had some effect.
    Time for me to turn in. When would you like your breakfast?
    ----

Now, normally, this would also be a scenario where you could note an improvement for your character. Admittedly, you've already used charm to some effect, and as a result, the success does nothing to further improve your abilities (of course, it does give you more information...).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre has to think with her brain becoming muddled and sleepy. "Um.. Seven, thirty? No, Seven? I need to be ready in case the coach is working in the morning..." Plus taking into account all the time she'd probably spend talking. Then she asks, "Do you want any help making the breakfast?"