New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default True Nuetral Mage

Can I reseach arcane versions of the detect (G/E/L/C) spells? I think it would be really thematic for this character, and I don't really see any balance issues. I'm also interested in the various holy smite/order's wrath/unholy blight/ . . . the chaos one spells, later on down the road. Which might pose some balance issues, but I really don't see alignment-based blast-it being a problem issue with a cerebremancer.
    Assuming that I fail at getting my DM to just allow me to research these spells as arcane, is there any way to get these on my wizard list by RAW?
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: True Nuetral Mage

Arcane Disciple adds a domain's worth of spells to your spell list, but I think you need the Wisdom to cast them as Divine. Also, you'd need a deity with all four domains, and those are hard to come by (and not RAW-legal, according the Deities and Demigods).
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Is there some kind of Balance Domain? What spells would/does it get?
    Aratos Tell
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If you're going to be a cerebremancer, you could manifest aura sight to determine that information. Of course, it would take a really long time.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skjaldbakka View Post
    Is there some kind of Balance Domain? What spells would/does it get?
    Two smite-type spells: word of balance, which is just like blasphemy, and weighed in the balance which is ninth level and quite good, if you like spells that damage enemies and heal you at once.

Edit: It's in the Spell Compendium.
    Last edited by Dhavaer; 2007-11-28 at 04:31 AM.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Detect Neutrality

You can sense the presence of neutrality. The amount of information revealed depends on how long you study a particular area or subject.

1st Round
    Presence or absence of neutrality.

2nd Round
    Number of neutral auras (creatures, objects, or spells) in the area and the power of the most potent neutral aura present.

If your alignment contains no neutral component, and the strongest neutral aura’s power is overwhelming (see below), and the HD or level of the aura’s source is at least twice your character level, you are stunned for 1 round and the spell ends.

3rd Round
    The power and location of each aura. If an aura is outside your line of sight, then you discern its direction but not its exact location.

Aura Power
    A neutral aura’s power depends on the type of neutral creature or object that you’re detecting and its HD, caster level, or (in the case of a cleric) class level; see the accompanying table. If an aura falls into more than one strength category, the spell indicates the stronger of the two.

{table=head]Creature/Object|Faint|Moderate|Strong|Overwhelming

Neutral creature (HD) | 10 or lower | 11-25 | 26-50 | 51 or higher
    Neutral outsider (HD) | 1 or lower | 2-4 | 5-10 | 11 or higher
    Bored creature (HD) | 2 or lower | 3-8 | 9-20 | 21 or higher
    Neutral Object (example) | Bent copper piece | Lloth Plushie | Inanimate Carbon Rod | Sphere of Annihilation
    Nation | Japan | Canada | Turkmenistan | Switzerland [/table]
    ...What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?"
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2007-11-28 at 04:55 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I have some issues with the implications of that kind of spell. Is it even possible to radiate 'nuetrality'? . . .

. . .

Hehe . . . you were joking, weren't you? Switzerland . . .
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

There would be more like "Don't find any alignment" detection spell. Instead of casting detect good, detect evil, detect law, and finally detect chaos to determine a person/thing is neutral, you'd use that. Interesting.
    I think it would be okay for wizards to use detect alignment spells as arcane spells, but the smite ones should remain divine spells, seeing as this "smite" thing is more about divine than arcane powers. If a DM finds that too overpowered (I don't know why), just bump it to level 2 spells.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I imagine I'll wrangle with the DM abit on the smite line of spells. I don't see any balance issue, and it fits the flavor of the character really well. If I can't convince him, I'll invest in UMD and buy wands (eventually). That is a very cost-ineffective solution however (as a spell on my list, I might make a couple scrolls of each. I seriously doubt that I would ever use those spells enough to justify their cost in wand-form).
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skjaldbakka View Post
    Is it even possible to radiate 'nuetrality'? . . .
    Why is that any harder to believe than emitting "good" or "evil"?
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xuincherguixe View Post
    Why is that any harder to believe than emitting "good" or "evil"?
    Because neutrality is an absence of these things, like darkness is the absence of light. Dark things things don't emit darkness, they just don't emit (as much) light.
    Many thanks to JasonDoomsblade for the avatar.

Well done. You found this secret part of my signature. Does it make you feel like a big man?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

My DM approved researching the spells, although he bumped the smites up a level for arcane spells.

Hurrah!

Re: radiating neutral, what ^he^ said

What would be an appropriate arcane spell focus for those spells?
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2007-11-28 at 11:20 PM.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Overlard View Post
    Because neutrality is an absence of these things, like darkness is the absence of light. Dark things things don't emit darkness, they just don't emit (as much) light.
    Except neutral would radiate two different things at once in relatively equal amounts. Plus the spell would be... well... "I cast detect neutrality"

"Okay something's neutral"

"What kind of neutral?"

"It has neutrality!"

"..."
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Which spells, smite or sight?
    Detect spells, eyes of opposing alignment-apropriate outsiders; Formian eyes should finally come in handy now.
    Smite spells, holy/unholy water, chaos beast flesh blob, some generic law-monster something or other.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Ughh . . . I'm reminded how much I hate material components. Maybe I'll just take Eschew Materials and be done with it.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

This thread has gone on long enough without quoting the definitive source on neutrality, Captain Zap Brannigan.

"I hate these filthy neutrals Kif! With enemies you know where they stand, but with neutrals? Who knows! It sickens me."

"How very neutral of you!"

"Sooo beautiful, yet so neutral."

"What makes a man turn neutral ... Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfwood2 View Post
    This thread has gone on long enough without quoting the definitive source on neutrality, Captain Zap Brannigan.
    Go read my post again more carefully.